daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #3961
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Laying the concrete tunnel walls here…

Station box

This sections seems to be the most advanced in terms of construction.

Bridge over the Hirose River.

They also recently finalized the design of the two aboveground stations on the line (Arai Station and International Center Station). I’d post the renders but the resolution is really poor. Overall, looks promising though.
http://www.city.sendai.jp/kaiken/120626chika2.html
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #3962
quashlo

Tōkyō Metro Fukutoshin Line / Tōkyū Tōyoko Line through-services to launch March 16, 2013

Full press releases are here:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2012/p...s_soutyoku.pdf
http://www.tokyu.co.jp/contents_inde...f/120724-1.pdf

We finally have a start date (2013.03.16) for the upcoming planned bilateral through-services between the Fukutoshin Line and Tōyoko Line. This will definitely be one of the more interesting through-services in the Tōkyō area just by virtue of its scope (five different operators), rolling stock variety, and route (connecting downtown Yokohama, Shibuya / Shinjuku / Ikebukuro, and Saitama).

Through-service plan

Weekdays
Morning:
Fukutoshin Line → Tōyoko Line / Minato Mirai Line: 18 tph
Tōyoko Line / Minato Mirai Line → Fukutoshin Line: 20 tph (of 24 tph total)
Midday: 14 tph both directions (of 18 tph total)
Evening: 16 tph both directions (of 20 tph total)

Weekends and holidays
All day: 14 tph both directions (of 18 tph total)

Of course, looking at this schedule, there really isn’t much room left for the current Hibiya Line / Tōyoko Line through-services, and sure enough, these will actually be discontinued once the Fukutoshin Line through-services begin. Hibiya Line trains will terminate at Naka-Meguro.

The fastest through-services will be Fukutoshin Line expresses + Tōyoko Line limited expresses, which will run every 15 minutes during the midday period. Travel time matrix (minutes):

Code:
                                      Fukutoshin Line                         Tōbu       Seibu
                    ======================================================= ========= ============
Tōyoko Line /        SHIBUYA   SHINJUKU   IKEBUKURO    KOTAKE-    WAKŌ-SHI   KAWAGOE   TOKOROZAWA
Minato Mirai Line              SANCHŌME               MUKAIHARA
===================                   
MOTOMACHI-CHŪKAGAI      35        41          47         51          61        87          79
YOKOHAMA                26        32          38         42          52        78          70
MUSASHI-KOSUGI          13        19          25         29          39        65          57
JIYŪGAOKA                8        14          20         24          34        60          52
SHIBUYA                            5          11                               51          43
Sample itineraries:
Yokohama (Tōyoko Line) ↔ Shinjuku Sanchōme (Fukutoshin Line): 29.8 km, 32 min fastest, ¥420
Yokohama (Tōyoko Line) ↔ Ikebukuro (Fukutoshin Line): 33.1 km, 38 min fastest, ¥450
Motomachi‒Chūkagai (Minato Mirai Line) ↔ Ikebukuro (Fukutoshin Line): 37.2 km, 47 min fastest, ¥650

In conjunction with the platform extensions on the Tōyoko Line, all limited expresses, commuter limited expresses, and expresses on the Tōyoko Line will be upgraded from 8-car consists to 10-car consists.

Like the Den’en Toshi Line / Hanzōmon Line / Isesaki Line through-services, the full extent of through-services will be fully regional in scope:
Motomachi‒Chūkagai ↔ Yokohama ↔ Shibuya ↔ Wakō-shi ↔ Shinrin Kōen: 88.6 km
Motomachi‒Chūkagai ↔ Yokohama ↔ Shibuya ↔ Kotake–Mukaihara ↔ Hannō: 80.5 km

Some recent clips of “free range” Tōkyū 5050 series testing on the Seibu Ikebukuro Line:

On the Tōbu Tōjō Line:

Old July 31st, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3963
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

If anyone interested in some jingles, I edited this video to small MP3 files and uploaded it here
Works good for notification/ringtones.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:52 PM   #3964
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge
If anyone interested in some jingles, I edited this video to small MP3 files and uploaded it here
Can somebody repost this file somewhere that works with mobile browsers? I don't have my PC with me here in the states. :-\
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:16 PM   #3965
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Can somebody repost this file somewhere that works with mobile browsers? I don't have my PC with me here in the states. :-\
Send me your mail in a PM, and I send the .zip to you. It's 8.4MB
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:36 AM   #3966
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Sendai Subway Tōzai Line construction update
Hmm......question

This Sendai Subway Tozai Line.......will this be the latest and newest upcoming subway/urban train line in Japan? (i.e. 100% built all the way from scratch/from the ground up)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tōzai_Line_(Sendai)
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/仙台市地下鉄東西線

Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:17 PM   #3967
quashlo

I already answered your question in the other thread:

Quote:
I suppose... It's scheduled to open in FY2015.
The Tōhoku Through Line and Sōtetsu‒JR Link will open before it, though.
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:17 PM   #3968
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5735

Quote:
Undergrounded section of Keiō Line to open this August
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/tok...OYT8T00071.htm

We finally have an approximate date… Can’t believe this project is in the home stretch now. This is not just an undergrounding, but also a quadruple-tracking project. Too bad we will have to wait for another 10 years before the “missing link” section the rest of the way to Sasazuka is quadruple-tracked.

Videos of driving alongside the Keiō Line alignment. You get a good view of the scope of the construction involved and the neighborhoods along the line, part of the dense “suburban” swath of western Tōkyō.

[/youtube]
On what day is this happening?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:53 AM   #3969
quashlo

The new underground stations will open on 2012.08.19.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:37 PM   #3970
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

A few of my Osaka train (Kansai -> Namba) photos :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #3971
quashlo

Nice.
Did you take the Rapi:t or just a regular train?
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3972
quashlo

Chōfu Station pre-opening tour

Sorry for the lack of updates… Haven’t had much time to post.

But… Here’s a few teasers of the new underground Chōfu Station from a pre-opening tour on 2012.08.04, attended by members of the press and 3,000 randomly selected members of the public. Didn’t realize it, but the new underground stations will have platform doors (makes sense since it’s a new build anyways). I’m quite pleased with the design—I was expecting something more basic given that this project is being executed by the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government.

First set:
Source: http://ikiikilife-ikiikilife.blogspot.com/

Old August 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #3973
quashlo

Second set:
Source: http://www.nire.com/

Old August 7th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #3974
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

Quote:
Nice.
Did you take the Rapi:t or just a regular train?
I tried both. That set was for the regular train though.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #3975
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quashlo
Of course, looking at this schedule, there really isn’t much room left for the current Hibiya Line / Tōyoko Line through-services, and sure enough, these will actually be discontinued once the Fukutoshin Line through-services begin. Hibiya Line trains will terminate at Naka-Meguro.
Last year they expanded the Hibiya line pocket tracks at the south end (Yokohama) of Naka-Meguro station from 2 to 3 tracks. As this is on an elevated section, there is a ready-room for the train crews directly below there that was also expanded as well as reinforced. I figured they'd be discontinuing the service after the switchover. However, most Hibiya line trains don't terminate at Kita-Senju anymore either; 90% of them now run out to at least Kita Koshigaya on the Tobu Skytree line as locals.
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #3976
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Train platform safety doors in works
Quote:
The transport ministry plans to adopt new lightweight platform safety doors at train stations to reduce installation costs, officials said Tuesday.

The current type of safety door assembly requires major platform reinforcement work to accommodate their weight.

Because of the work required, as of the end of March only 32 of all 235 stations with at least 100,000 users a day were equipped with doors to prevent people on platforms from falling onto the tracks.

New vertically opening platform doors under development will be light enough to not require reinforcement work and thus help cut installation costs drastically.

The ministry, jointly with door makers and railroads, will test the new system at selected stations in Tokyo suburbs by the end of fiscal 2012. The one-year trial will be mainly aimed at checking the safety of the new doors.
-- http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nb20120815a6.html
No locations have been announced yet, but I'm guessing it will be soon since the end of FY2012 is 7 months away. Since the article says something about vertically opening platform doors, and the need for them to be lightweight, I'm guessing the design should approximate something like these:

overhead rope platform screen gantry as seen on Gwanju Subway
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #3977
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Tōkyū Tōyoko line/Tōkyō Metro Fukutoshin Line Update

I'm kicking myself for not being able to get over to the Keiō line's Chōfu undergrounding project opening... I got tied up with appointments, but I'll be sure to check it out this week and post whatever pix I take... But there's one project I can't help but notice since I live about 100m from the tracks...

As we have just under 7 months until opening day on what will be Tokyo's biggest (and most complicated) joint thru-servicing operations, construction is at a feverish pace now.

(all proceeding images are from So-net Blog; news is compiled from my own observations along with other sources.)

Shibuya Station

Looking toward the Ikebukuro end the big wall that was here last month is gone. Also this area had been a big open platform over the two tracks where you could stand and watch trains approach from Jingu-mae/Harujuku; that's gone too. The outer platforms continue on the other side of the contreet wall here, making the outer platforms 2 car-lengths longer than the inner platforms.
This effectively makes the inner platforms serve only 8 car trains (and because the Tōyoko line's local stations aren't long enough to handle 10 car trains, the inner platforms will be for local trains only.)

Looking up at the ceiling, you'll notice they've installed the stanchions for the overhead rail (not cantenary; most Japanese subways all use something like an "overhead 3rd rail" instead of wire in the tunnels-- it's lower maintanence.)
All the platform gates are also installed and ready to go here as well.

This is the southern (Yokohama-bound) end of platform 3, looking into the newly viewable tunnel. They're installing overhead in there too.

Crossing over to Platform 4, and looking in the same direction, we see that they're working on installing the rest of the platform gates.

And finally we're looking in the same direction still, but the outer part of platform 4. This is going to be a walkway of sorts to another entrance into Shibuya Hikarie (a large Tōkyū owned building with shops and offices that just opened) and a street level entrance that hasn't opened yet IIRC.

Above ground, one big change is that the old pedestrian bridge that linked Shibuya station to Miyamasu-zaka across Meji-dori is gone! They've totally demolished it, and will likely start construction of the new Ginza line Shibuya station next year. That new station will actually be an island platform right next to Shibuya Hikarie extending out over the street. They'll need to get it to the point of being operational before they can do any reconstruction of the current complex.

Daikanyama Station

This is one of the most complex examples of construction I've ever seen. They have to rebuild half of this already compact station UNDERNEATH the existing station and at an incline; the new tunnel portal is about 200m east of here and needs to slope down at about a 20º angle starting in the middle of the current station in order to clear an overpass (that's currently an at-grade crossing)
That white plastic is protecting the new platform and workers who are crawling around down there making the new floors! The incline starts right where you see the stairway end on the platform. People are standing on plywood decking, and every night, parts of it are pulled up to work on the new floors below where workers can't crawl around on. (I've seen them doing it once)

Here's a better look.

Naka-Meguro Station

The new platform extentions are FINALLY going in. They are actually over newly reinforced bridges so it took a while to do.

As you can see here, they're just in the positioning stage while they weld the prefab sections together. They'll lower them into place soon I'm sure.

along the Seibu Ikebukuro line

A few pics of Tōkyū 5050-4000 series doing testing on the line.

Also, I've ridden on 4103F as it's running in 8-car formation on the Tōyoko line to test performance with passengers. I've also notice they've been running more 9000 series trains more... Today, I boarded nothing but 9000 series trains. They don't have any ATS/TASC equipment on them to help them line up the platform gates; I reckon these trains are being used because a lot of the 5050 series trains are over at JTRAC getting retrofitted with this stuff right now. It'd be cool to see them run 9000 series trains in the Fukutoshin subway but they'll probably end up splitting them up and running them on the Oimachi, Tamagawa or Ikegami line... Some have already been showing up over there actually.

Tōkyō Metro Yūrakuchō/Fukutoshin line interchange

The area between Senkawa and Kotake-Mukaihara stations is under heavy construction as they build new slip tunnels to eliminate the crossover that happens as trains route to-from the Yurakucho, Fukutoshin, and Seibu-Yurakucho line, making all stops at Kotake-Mukaihara cross-platform transfers, and increasing throughput. Part of the new tunnel construction is visible from Senkawa station's Yurakucho platforms.

Inbound side.

Outbound side.

As you can see, work is going at a steady pace and needs to be completed in 6 months so the new timetable can go into effect coinciding with the Toyoko line's additional trains.
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3978
tokaidogh

Likes (Received): 0

Thank you very much for Fukuoka pictures.
I recognized may places and it very agreeable.
tokaidogh
tokaidogh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #3979
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Tokaido Shinkansen

Are passengers allowed to ride this service to cross town or must all of them be travelling intercity? The term express --let alone super-- implies nonstop service. Is in-town high speed service provided anywhere within Tokyo? If not, what's the likelihood of there being future speedy crosstown urban rail services?

Last edited by trainrover; August 27th, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #3980
quashlo

Of course you could take the Shinkansen on short trips within metropolitan regions, but it doesn't really make much sense unless you're really pressed for time... JR runs fast (max. speed 120 km/h to 130 km/h), limited-stop non-Shinkansen services, stretching up to 200 km in length, at high-frequency, and with substantial cost savings over a Shinkansen ride. Depending on your origin and destination, they can also be fairly competitive with the Shinkansen for total travel time. A lot of people in Kansai just take the shin-kaisoku (special express) instead of Shinkansen.