daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #3981
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Of course you could take the Shinkansen on short trips within metropolitan regions, but it doesn't really make much sense unless you're really pressed for time... JR runs fast (max. speed 120 km/h to 130 km/h), limited-stop non-Shinkansen services, stretching up to 200 km in length, at high-frequency, and with substantial cost savings over a Shinkansen ride. Depending on your origin and destination, they can also be fairly competitive with the Shinkansen for total travel time. A lot of people in Kansai just take the shin-kaisoku (special express) instead of Shinkansen.
Yeah, in Nagoya, if you weren't in a hurry to get places, Kintetsu was used largely to go to Kyoto or Osaka. I, however, didn't get a chance to ride it, I should have taken it to Nara when I had the chance.

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #3982
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Yeah, in Nagoya, if you weren't in a hurry to get places, Kintetsu was used largely to go to Kyoto or Osaka. I, however, didn't get a chance to ride it, I should have taken it to Nara when I had the chance.
Interesting point, the Kintetsu Meihan (Nagoya-Osaka) nonstop limited expresses were started in 1961, and just ended with this year's spring timetable revision. They stopped only at Tsuruhashi (transfer point to JR West) on their Nagoya-Nanba runs, but now they also stop roughly midway at Tsu. Apparently they were originally intended as a faster alternative to JNR's 1067mm gauge services between Nagoya and Osaka (with a travel time just under 2 hours), but the stop at Tsu was added to better meet current market needs.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #3983
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

I have seen people get on at Shin-Yokohama and get off at Tokyo; but I'm assuming they are transferring to another Shinkansen line.
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #3984
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

There is a commuter market on the Tokaido Shinkansen, mainly between Odawara and Tokyo. I suppose many of the Shin Yokohama commuters are coming off the Yokohama Line, which has poor connections with the 1067mm Tokaido Line into Tokyo. I have seen high school students using the shinkansen as a commute, once a h.s. girl got off at Atami after getting on in Shin Yokohama.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #3985
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

How long do you suppose this in-town HST usage has been happening? Surely that schoolgirl was bunking off, no, unless it not be unusual for private(US)/public(UK) pupils to travel inordinate distances to and from school daily there?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #3986
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

That would be interesting for that school girl to use a bullet train on a daily basis to travel to-and-from her school. She must be rich or 'fully loaded' because bullet train rides are not cheap (compared to your usual train services)
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3987
trainrover

Then again, Tokyo youth are known for their outlandish clothing ...
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #3988
nouveau.ukiyo

Some people who live near Tokyo commute in via Shinkansen, like from Odawara as already mentioned and also from north of Tokyo, like from Utsunomiya.

Students have access to heavily discounted train passes; I wonder if they can get a discounted Shinkansen pass?

Tokaido Shinkansen monthly pass prices: http://railway.jr-central.co.jp/tick...lex/index.html
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #3989
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Yes, there are commuter passes on Shinkansen for both workers and students.
In that webpage, the first pair of price columns (フレックス) is for workers, while the second pair (フレックスパル) is for students.

We can do a very easy comparison of Tōkyō ↔ Shin-Yokohama monthly commuter pass prices and morning peak-hour frequency and travel times for Shinkansen and non-Shinkansen (zairaisen):

Shinkansen: ¥46,310 (worker), ¥38,250 (student); 13 tph; 18 min
Yokohama Line + Tōkaidō Line: ¥18,590 (worker), ¥10,330 (student); 14 / 17 tph; 45-50 min
Yokohama Line + Keihin-Tōhoku Line: ¥16,070 (worker), ¥7,200 (student); 14 / 14 tph; 45-50 min

A Shinkansen commuter pass is valid on both Shinkansen and zairaisen, but a zairaisen commuter pass is not valid on the Shinkansen. The Shinkansen commuter pass is valid on all Shinkansen services, but only for non-reserved seats. Prices shown for the zairaisen commuter passes are for university students (there are separate passes for middle school, high school, and university students).

There are similar programs for the other Shinkansen lines and for the other metropolitan areas... The commute ridership on the Tōhoku / Jōetsu lines is partially why some of the services on those lines are (or were) operated with double deckers. There are also multiple-ride tickets and other special tickets that offer discounts for frequent Shinkansen riders.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #3990
trainrover

Thank you for that
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #3991
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 464

A buddy of mine in Nagoya usually uses the Tokaido line from Nagoya station to Gamagori, about an hour and a half roughly. In a pinch he can use the Shinkansen to alight at Toyohashi or Mikawa-Anjo stations. His job will pick up the extra tariff.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #3992
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
That would be interesting for that school girl to use a bullet train on a daily basis to travel to-and-from her school. She must be rich or 'fully loaded' because bullet train rides are not cheap (compared to your usual train services)
It's not just that the train ride is expensive. From the fact that these kids actually have to use the Shinkansen to go to school you can conclude that these kids don't go to their nearest standard public neighborhood school. And if you can send your kids to a expensive private school you can also pay a $500 monthly commuter pass.

On another note, with the planned opening of the Chuo Maglev around 2025 the Tokaido Shinkansen will become the secondary line on the Tokyo-Nagoya route. What are the chances that it will get more stations in the greater Tokyo area, so it could be used more and more as a super fast commuter train. A Shinkansen station at Musashi-Kosugi in Kawasaki for example, or an extra stop between Shin-Yokohama and Odawara. If the ticket prices go down as well this could actually be a big success. It will also be a interesting competition between JR Central and JR East within Tokyo.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #3993
nouveau.ukiyo

I think the Tokiado Maglev is more of an "If" then "When".
Old August 30th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #3994
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

If? tell that to the construction crews I keep seeing
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #3995
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

It's most certainly more a "when" than an "if"...

You have to remember that JR Central's survival as a railway business is almost entirely dependent on intercity travel in the Tōkaidō corridor, as revenues from Shinkansen service are what keep them afloat. With the Tōkaidō Shinkansen as old as it is, there's a lot of upgrades and retrofits that need to be carried out to keep the line functioning properly and safely, but this will be difficult to do without an alternate option (the maglev) to allow them to perform this work more efficiently and effectively. Otherwise, we're talking about shutting down the existing line for extended periods of time, which means huge substantial losses in revenue for JR Central and streams of passengers shifting to airlines.

Also, look what the earthquake did to the Tōhoku Shinkansen—JR East was forced to shut the line down for a month, which isn't good for the railway or its shareholders. The Tōkaidō Shinkansen would likely be more susceptible to a seismic event, and could be out of service for longer. JR Central does not have the benefits of JR East, with all the revenues from train service in the Greater Tōkyō area to help offset such a loss. But a second line will give them some flexibility in case one of them is damaged.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #3996
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

The countdown has officially started.

I found this display in a corner of Tokyu Shibuya station on the Toyoko line. The digital display shows the days left until the start of interlining with the Fukutoshin line in March 2013. The cute mascot character is based on the 5000 series trains that fly the line every day. He doesn't have a name yet, so there is a naming contest it runs into the end of the month to name the little guy. Whoever wins the contest gets a 50,000 yen gift certificate for the Tokyu department store! Of course you know I'm going to try my best!

Just off to the right is the rest of the display. On the video, they are showing clips and pictures of the old Tokyu interurban service that used to run off until the late 60's.

Last edited by starrwulfe; September 9th, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #3997
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

That might be the awesomest mascot I've ever seen...
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #3998
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Tokyu begin information campaign to alert passengers on through servicing for next year

These posters just started rolling out across the entire Toyoko line as of this weekend. The date mark 16 2013 is prominently shown. What interested me though is the fact that in the lower right hand corner in Japanese it says "from every station you can get as far as Ikebukuro". I wonder this mean that even local trains will not turn around and shibuya station. well we have 6 more months to go so I guess we will find out a little bit before then when the schedules are published

Last edited by starrwulfe; September 9th, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old September 9th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #3999
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Tokyu and Tokyo Metro begin using each other's trains IN REVENUE SERVICE!

This is what I was waiting for, and I almost missed it!
This past Saturday, a Tokyo Metro 11004F, an 8-car train began running in revenue service on the full Tokyu Toyoko line. At the same time, Tokyu #5157F began running in revenue service between Wako-shi and Shibuya as a local train. This is the start of what will be many runs with different equipment to train train crews in preparation for the opening of thru-service operations March 16, 2013.

Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin train on the Tokyu Toyoko line

Here's 10104F just hanging out at the Motosumiyoshi Yard waiting to be put into service.

Now here's the sight we'll only see for the next 6 months-- A Tokyo Metro train pulling into the current Tokyu Toyoko line Shibuya Terminal. Remember, after March 16th, 2013, they'll be stopping downstairs on the B5 level, and this terminal will be torn down for the building of a new Shibuya Station complex. This train ran as an express from Motomachi-Chukagai.

It appears EVERYONE was very interested in getting this shot!!

The monitors on the inside that show train route information aren't programmed yet, but there's a Toyoko line map here, and the conductors do a great job of letting you know where you are... Also all the ads are Tokyu ads, not Tokyo Metro provided ones... This is definitely a Tokyu run test train.

This is how I know they're doing this for a while-- On the Toyoko line, the 5th car is the Lady's Car during rush-hour express runs. On the other lines in the Fukutoshin network, its car #1. They'll have to deal with that before March, but for now, 10604 is for the ladies while running on the Toyoko line.

Here's 2 more sights you'll never see after March 2013:

Here at Jiyuugaoka station on the outbound platform. On the left you have a Tokyu 9000 series train running express. On the right, our Toyko Metro 10000 series train running as a local. After March, no 9000 series trains will be found on the Toyoko line since they can't support the TASC and ATC equipment in the subway.

And here at Kikuna station, you have our 10000 series on the right still headed to Motomachi, and on the left theres a Tokyo Metro Hibiya line 03 series that is headed inbound to Naka-Meguro as a local, then will shunt onto the Hibiya line subway from there. As Quashlo stated earlier, and I confirmed with Tokyu staff, they'll be no more Hibiya line thru-routes past Naka-Meguro. However, the Hibiya line has an increased Tobu Skytree line thru-service schedule now. Most trains aren't ending at Kita Senju and travel all the way up to Tobu Doubutsuen as locals on that line.

Tokyu Toyoko train on the Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin line

Here we have Tokyu #5155F from the Toyoko line running in Fukutoshin line service at Kotake-Mukaihara station. It's 8 cars long, so it's only running as a local now, and only between Shibuya and Wako-shi stations. No jumping onto the Seibu Yurakucho or Tobu Tojo lines for now.

Tokyo Metro got the passenger information monitors running, and all current information is shown, just like the 10000 series would show it. The left "ToQ-vision" monitor just shows advertisements, but for now just says "Thanks for riding the train today" in Japanese--just like what you see under my avatar!

This is Ikebukuro station's screen. Notice not only is it showing the routes for the subway lines (circles) but now it shows the new Tobu Tojo line <TJ> and Seibu Ikebukuro line <SI> icons as well.

Of course here at Shibuya station, the Tokyu Toyoko <TJ> and Den'en-Toshi <DT> are shown too.

Car 5555 is the 5th car on this train, and on the Toyoko line, it'd be the Ladie's Car. (notice the square outline underneath the car # where the sign would be) But since it's running as a Tokyo Metro train...

It's been moved to car #1. (look in the window.)

I'm looking forward to when they start putting the Tobu and Seibu line trains in revenue services, and especially the "old-school" Tokyo Metro 7000 series trains on the Toyoko line. Also, I think it's cool when I can finally ride one of the new Tokyu 4000-5050 trains out to Shiki in 10-car formation.
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #4000
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Tokyo Metro 10104F at Tokyu's Jyuugaoka station

Notice the headsign-- Motomachi-Chukagai. they need bigger signs!!

Tokyu 5155 all over the Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin line

Tokyu 5050 series trains don't try to jumble the Japanese and English destinations on the same sign, they flip between the two every few seconds.