daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #4121
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62800

It will become one of the most interesting interlining operations in Tokyo, almost 90 km long, 4 different companies. And even more possibilities when there's also a connection with the Sotetsu Sagami Line.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #4122
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 460

The only thing that worries me is what contingency plans they'll have if something occurs (signal trouble, accidents, etc) on another part of the line...

For example, there was a huge incident on the Hanzomon line last year, and it totally blew the schedule for both the Den'en-Toshi and Skytree/Isesaki lines because they connect at either end. Last month there was a big signal failure that shut down the Toyoko line for about an hour just before the morning rush, and screwed the schedules up. But it only affected the Toyoko and Minato Mirai lines.

It's not impossible for me to see how something that happens way over in Hanno or Kawagoe may knock a train I need to use to go from Hiyoshi to Bashamichi off schedule somehow. Hopefully theres a plan for all of this somewhere.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #4123
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435
It will become one of the most interesting interlining operations in Tokyo, almost 90 km long, 4 different companies. And even more possibilities when there's also a connection with the Sotetsu Sagami Line.
Oh wow, one train operating about 90km in one trip? Now that's something I really want to do when I make a city of that scale... impressive interlining indeed. That reminds me of the Hanzomon Line where it is just one part of like, what, a 100km journey one way, with interlining at both ends of the Metro line.

Looks like the keys to interlining are signaling and consistent rail gauge through and through... and of course, multiple rail tracks as much as possible.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #4124
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Construction begins on new east-west public passage at JR Shinjuku Station
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...1500012-n1.htm

Quote:
 JR新宿駅の東口と西口を結ぶ自由通路の着工記念式典が29日、東京都新宿区内で行われ、約200人が出席した。

工事はJR東日本が事業主体となり、9月下旬に着手した。現在の東口改札と西口改札を結ぶ北通路を、幅員約25メートル、延長約100メートルの地下通路として整備し、改札口を移転して自由に通行できるようにする。

平成32年の使用開始を予定しており、駅周辺の回遊性向上が期待されている。
Tōkyō MX news report (2012.10.29):

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #4125
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Will that mean the new passage will also provide shop and eatery spaces too?

Old October 30th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #4126
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

After the Sotetsu link is built, what other major railways are there left that offer no direct access to central Tokyo?

There are lines like the JR Musashino line and the Tobu Noda line but those are circumferential so they don't count. The Yokohama Municipal Subway is fairly big but it's meant to move people around within Yokohama.

There are also branch lines like the Tobu Kameido and Isesaki lines or the Tokyu Tamagawa or Setagaya line that terminate outside the Yamanote loop, but since their parent mainlines have a direct route to Tokyo I'll just say that they don't count either.

What else is there?

How about the Joso line? If they electrified it, it would be easy enough to put through trains onto the Joban Line at Toride. But is there enough ridership to justify the cost?

There's also the Shin Keisei line which seems to carry a good number of people, and it already has through trains to the east from the Keisei Chiba line, but it is standard gauge so there's no obvious route to carry it beyond Matsudo.

Last edited by orulz; October 30th, 2012 at 04:37 AM.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #4127
quashlo

I'm at work and the ridiculous firewall is preventing me from seeing both the original article and the post... Anyways, if I remember correctly, the term used is 大手私鉄, so the only real candidate would be Shin-Keisei... Technically a 準大手, but all of the other 大手私鉄 already have terminals in central Tōkyō.
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #4128
orulz

The Joso line seems like it might have promise. Toride happens to be the spot where the Joban line drops from 4 lines to 2. Wikipedia also mentions electrification was actually under consideration up until the 1990s, when they decided to stick with diesel for the time being. There might be a ridership boost that would help justify the cost.

Also I take it back about Shin Keisei having no route to take it closer to central Tokyo. There is a semi obvious target: the Keisei Kanamachi line. It would need a lot of improvements, though. Double tracking the full length plus some more elevated or even underground sections. Sounds awfully big and unlikely for a plan that would still only take trains as far as Keisei Takasago station.
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:40 AM   #4129
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62800

It could be more interesting if the freightline between Kanamachi and Shin-koiwa on the JR Sobu-Chuo line was converted to 1435 gauge for a possible extension of the Shin-Keisei Line.

Or else build a completely new line between Matsudo and Yaguri or Shin-Shibamata, that could be easier then upgrading the Keisei Kanamachi line.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:20 AM   #4130
quashlo

This is all fantasy, but I think the most likely possibility would actually be to reconnect the Shin-Keisei Line and Hokusō Line in Kamagaya City... The two used to be connected and there was through-service in the past. I don't think they would do it now, though, since they're already in the process of separately elevating the Shin-Keisei Line as part of a continuous grade-separation project.
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:20 AM   #4131
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Have doubts re. both the Joso and Shin Keisei Line, they are both essentially cross-country routes serving as feeders rather than radial routes, and as such likely have little growth potential.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:29 PM   #4132
quashlo

Sumitomo, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries win track contract for Kuala Lumpur MRT Line 1
http://www.mhi.co.jp/news/story/1210315275.html

Quote:
 三菱重工業は31日、住友商事株式会社の協力を得て、Mass Rapid Transit Corporation Sdn Bhd(MRT Corp)から、首都クアラルンプールに建設する地下鉄 1号線の鉄道システムを受注した。深刻化している都市部の渋滞解消に大きく貢献することとなるプロジェクトで、当社がマレーシアの鉄道案件を受注するのは今回が初めて。完成は2017年7月の予定。

地下鉄1号線は、クアラルンプール市南東部の郊外から市中心部を抜けて北西部郊外に至る全長51kmを結ぶ路線で、今回受注したのはその中の軌道設備一式。当社は設計、機器供給および据付工事を担当する。受注金額は約220億円。

クアラルンプールでは慢性的な交通渋滞が社会問題化しており、同国政府は鉄道路線の建設を進めているが、今回の1号線建設もその一環。政府はこれに続き、2020年までに2号線および3号線の建設を行うことを計画している。

当社はこれまでフィリピン、インドネシア、台湾、ドバイなどにおいて、大規模な鉄道システム・プロジェクトをフルターンキー・ベースで取り纏めるなど、この分野で豊富な実績を有している。今回の受注はこれらの契約遂行能力を含む実績と信頼性が高く評価されたことによる。

当社は今回の受注を弾みとして、今後も、成長の続くアジア地域をはじめ世界各国の都市交通向けに、さらに積極的な営業を展開していく。
This is MHI’s first railway project win in Malaysia. The contract involves the design and construction of the track for the 51 km line. Contract value is approx. ₯22 billion.
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:30 PM   #4133
quashlo

Tōbu Railway profits soar thanks to Tōkyō Sky Tree
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/life/news/1...1460018-n1.htm

Quote:
 グループ各社で東京スカイツリー(東京都墨田区)を運営する東武鉄道が31日発表した平成24年9月中間連結決算は、売上高が前年同期比7%増の2818億円、最終利益が同74・7%増の115億円で大幅な増収増益になった。今年5月のスカイツリー開業効果が大きく表れた。

営業利益は前年同期比73・2%増の237億円で、前年上期より約100億円増加。うち、スカイツリー関連の増益効果が約59億円あった。平田一彦常務は「9月以降に鈍ると想定した客足が今も好調」としている。

25年3月期の通期連結業績も9月に引き続いて上方修正し、売上高を5765億円から5805億円に、最終利益を225億円から250億円に引き上げた。スカイツリーの今年度末までの入場客数も、460万人から545万人に上方修正した。
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:31 PM   #4134
quashlo

[b]New ekinaka station market opens at JR Ōsaka Station[b]
http://www.asahi.com/business/update...210310090.html

Quote:
 JR大阪駅高架下の商業施設「エキマルシェ大阪」が31日、オープンした。持ち帰りできる総菜やスイーツの店をはじめ、衣料品店、飲食店など計82店が入り、午前10時の開業後は早速多くの客でにぎわった。

JR西日本が進める一連の大阪駅の再開発で、商業施設としては最後の開業となる。「大人のみちくさ」をテーマに、通勤客らが気軽に立ち寄れる空間を目指した。駅に直結する300台分の駐輪場もオープンした。

開業に先立つセレモニーで、運営するジェイアール西日本デイリーサービスネットの井上浩一社長は「エキマルシェという最後のピースで、新しい大阪駅が完成した」とあいさつした。

エキマルシェ大阪の地図

開店直後から買い物客らでにぎわう「エキマルシェ大阪」=31日午前9時59分、大阪市北区、森井英二郎撮影

オープンし、買い物客でにぎわう「エキマルシェ大阪」。天井には改札口を案内する看板がある=31日午前11時26分、大阪市北区、森井英二郎撮影
These gourmet markets inside terminal stations seem to be all the craze now in Japan…
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:42 PM   #4135
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That looks really amazing! I wish there are similar stores like that all over the US too, not just Farmer's Markets or malls connected to stations.

Old October 31st, 2012, 08:35 PM   #4136
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Have doubts re. both the Joso and Shin Keisei Line, they are both essentially cross-country routes serving as feeders rather than radial routes, and as such likely have little growth potential.
While I generally agree with you, I'm a bit hesitant to mention the Shin-Keisei Line in the same context as the Jōsō Line. The latter only has about 20,000 daily riders while the former has 250,000, which is actually substantially more than the Hokusō Line (100,000).
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4137
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

So what other lines do you think deserve to be interlined if there are any left?

Old November 1st, 2012, 05:35 AM   #4138
orulz

The two major through train projects currently under construction are the Fukutoshin - Tokyu Toyoko connection at Shibuya, and the JR Tohoku Jukan line reconnection.

Next is probably going to be the Asakusa Bypass line that will connect Keikyu and Keisei/Hokuso together, allowing for express trains and direct access to the CBD near Tokyo Station.

Perhaps the next to go after that, will be the JR Keiyo line which currently terminates deep under Tokyo station. There is a somewhat vague plan to extend it through central Tokyo in a deep tunnel to connect with (I think) the Chuo line at Tachikawa, or something.

Other lines that terminate at the Yamanote Line and don't have any through-connection include Seibu Shinjuku Line and Keio Inokashira Line. Looking at a map it seems that the Ginza Line would be a great target for through running on the Keio Inokashira line but there is the (very significant) problem of track gauge, loading gauge, current pickups, and train length that would have to be resolved. Perhaps sometime in the next century if/when the Ginza line is fully rebuilt for earthquake resistance.

There may be others that I can't think of right now.

Last edited by orulz; November 1st, 2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:44 AM   #4139
orulz

There is also the Tsukuba Express which might get extended to Tokyo Station but probably never beyond that. There are several Tokyu branches that end at the Yamanote Line (Ikegami and Oimachi) but those probably don't deserve a through connection.

Last edited by orulz; November 1st, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:15 AM   #4140
quashlo

Comparative no-brainers are Keiyō Line + Rinkai Line and Musashino Line + Nambu Line, as all the infrastructure is already built... The only obstacles are administrative.