daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:31 PM   #4161
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Bikesharing program begins in Kōnan, Shinagawa Ward
http://shinagawa.keizai.biz/headline/1673/

Quote:
 品川駅港南地区で11月1日、自転車のシェアリングシステム「コミュニティーサイクル」社会実験、「TOKYO CITY BIKE」の一般利用が始まった。管理運営はJTBグループのJTB法人東京(新宿区)と日本コンピュータ・ダイナミクス(品川区西五反田4)。

同実験は、環境省が行う「平成24年度地球温暖化技術開発等事業」の一環。歩道などの公共空間に自転車の貸し出し拠点を配置し、指定の貸し出しポートで自転車を自由に貸し出し・返却ができる自転車の共同利用サービスだ。2009年に千代田区で初めて導入され、名古屋やさいたま市、広島など全国6地域で実施。品川では9月22日より利用者を限定して行っていた。

品川駅港南地区では近年、新築マンションの建設ラッシュにより放置自転車が増加。今後も自転車の利用増が見込まれることから、新たな対策案として実験対象に選ばれたという。

今回の実験では、国内初となる交通系電子マネー決済対応の会員登録精算機を導入。会員登録後、Felica機能搭載のICカードや携帯電話で個人認証を行う。

貸し出しポートの一つである「こうなん星の公園」では、案内の看板を興味深く眺める人が見られた。JTB法人東京の担当者によると、初日はビジネスマンや主婦など「数人が会員登録した」という。通勤時に利用したという男性は「普段は歩いて12~13分かかるところを5分で行けた。利用方法も簡単なので、継続して利用したい」と話していた。

実験期間は2013年1月31日まで。マンスリーパス=基本料金1,000円で、貸し出し後30分無料、以降30分ごと100円。ワンタイムパス=基本料金は無料で、30分ごとに100円。貸し出しポートは「こうなん星の公園」「港南緑水公園」「港南和楽公園」の3カ所。
Interesting to note some of the dynamics behind this program as compared to other bikesharing programs you might find elsewhere… Bike use in Japan is already quite high, and part of the impetus for the project is to help eliminate illegal parking of bicycles, which is always a huge issue, especially around stations. It’s also the reason why Japan builds some of the largest mechanical bike parking facilities you’ll find anywhere.

I’d actually love to see bikesharing spread across the metropolis, and with the entire system operating on a Felica-based smartcard system, it could be easily integrated into the nationwide interoperability agreement to be rolled out next fiscal year. Anybody visiting Tōkyō could then use their local transit farecard back home as payment when they go sightseeing by bike.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4162
quashlo

I thought this was an interesting read:
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/11/0...h-is-too-much/

Unlike many other places, there are actually no signs or announcements in Japan telling passengers not to eat or drink on trains, and on some services like intercity trains, it’s actually encouraged. But on urban systems, it’s sort of an unwritten rule. Personally, as long as it doesn’t smell too pungent and you don’t make a mess, it’s generally fine by me. Of course, trying to eat on a crowded train should be an automatic no-no.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM   #4163
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
I thought this was an interesting read:
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/11/0...h-is-too-much/

Unlike many other places, there are actually no signs or announcements in Japan telling passengers not to eat or drink on trains, and on some services like intercity trains, it’s actually encouraged. But on urban systems, it’s sort of an unwritten rule. Personally, as long as it doesn’t smell too pungent and you don’t make a mess, it’s generally fine by me. Of course, trying to eat on a crowded train should be an automatic no-no.
I hate it when people bring Mcdonalds French Fries on board trains (to take home, not eat on the train), the smell of the never-gets-moldy meat-extract coated fries is sickening- it stinks up half of the carriage- and it's still in the bag!

A couple of weeks ago, some Korean tourists on a Nankai airport express I was on were eating dried squid (珍味). That was quite odoriferous, though not as sickening as mickey d's fries.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; November 2nd, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:12 PM   #4164
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
What exactly is the Ota line? I don't see it on a map.
I couldn't find it too. I suspect it's another name for the Koizumi Line, which has Ota as one of its endpoints.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:38 PM   #4165
quashlo

Sorry, I didn't realize that the issue was that the name is not the standard name for the line...

I believe it refers to the segment of the Koizumi Line between Ōta and Higashi-Koizumi, which I believe is operated independently of the segment between Tatebayashi and Nishi-Koizumi via Higashi-Koizumi.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 12:18 AM   #4166
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

As far as Yokohama is concerned, at least from my actual experience, Tokyu Den'en-Toshi is the worst offender-- So crowded that 2 minute headways along with two 5-door cars on Tokyu owned trains don't help (remember, it through-routes with the Hanzomon and Isesaki lines so you'll find Tokyo Metro and Tobu cars on the line as well)

The Toyoko line is no joke either. The main reason I catch the first 通勤特急 Commuter Ltd. Express of the morning is because every other one after that is super-packed. Hiyoshi is where people jump off the inbound trains and cross over to inbound Meguro line trains that turn into Mita and Namboku line subways in Tokyo. But you have a big number of people that come from the Yokohama subway Green Line that terminates downstairs who jump on both trains too... And not as many people are hopping off at Musashi-Kosugi as you'd think!

Speaking of which-- The few times I've taken the Yokosuka line or the Shonan-Shinjuku line from there in the morning, I was very sorry I did... But why no numbers for these routes? The Yokosuka line should count as a separate line from Yokohama to Shinagawa as well... Also, no Keihin-Tohoku numbers? That's another JR "bread-n-butter" line down here as well. I'd imagine it's just as crowded as the Tokaido since it has more stops than the latter between Tokyo and Ofuna stations...
starrwulfe está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4167
quashlo

The data is just reported according to JR East line nomenclature convention... The problem with all the multiple-tracking and through-service in Japanese systems is that it's extremely difficult to know exactly how many people use trains on each set of tracks, since the only data they have is the origin and destination stations for each passenger trip. Yes, the Yokosuka Line and Keihin‒Tōhoku Line have some unique stations on the Yokohama ‒ Shinagawa segment that aren't on the the set of tracks operated as the "Tōkaidō Line", but there's too much overlap. Tōkyū has probably the most complex network of the Kantō area private railways, and they probably make some very basic assumptions about passenger preferences, etc. in order to get some line ridership numbers, but the complexity isn't anywhere close to JR East.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:02 PM   #4168
zerokei

Likes (Received): 8

Regarding passenger data.

Inside the driver's cabin's of trains there are sometimes a panel like this:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/notbonito/G...0%3F1316521031

The last row shows how many passengers there are in each car denoted as 乗車人員(人), I wonder if this data isn't recorded in some way or is the purpose just to inform the driver or conductor of the current load?

Last edited by zerokei; November 3rd, 2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Link not working
zerokei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:15 AM   #4169
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

That's right

Of course that 車掌情報票 is in every modern motorman's cabin in Japan (basically any train that's been built/rebuilt since 1995 or so)

So I wonder why they never try to cross reference the entrance/exit numbers from the turnstiles with this info? Of course Quashlo is right in that it's hard to get numbers based on what line customers may be using at any point in metro Tokyo due to overlaps; for example, from Ebisu to Ikebukuro, one could take either the Yamanote, Saikyo, or Shonan-Shinjuku line since they all serve the same stations and travel the same route. Making it more complicated though is the fact that there are a lot of thru-servicing trains along with transfers from one system to the another that don't require faregates. This means the whole act of counting where a passenger gets on and off takes a lot more effort and cooperation on behalf of the different companies running trains in the area.
However, I'd assume that the rapid and thorough uptake of Suica and PASMO IC commuter passes and SF cards is helping to show who is going where a lot easier on a more detailed basis, not only in terms of commutes, but in terms of long-term travel patterns too.
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #4170
quashlo

Completion of grade-separation project between Katsura and Rakusai-guchi to be delayed
http://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/politics/a...20121103000111

Quote:
 京都市と阪急電鉄が進めている阪急京都線の桂-洛西口駅間の二つの踏み切りをなくす立体交差化事業の完成が、当初予定の2015年度から1年遅れる見通しとなった。本年度の国庫補助配分が市要望額の5割程度に抑えられ、予定工事ができなくなったためだ。

桂駅南を東西に通る山陰街道と久世北茶屋線は1日約2万台の交通量があり、それぞれ鉄道と交差する川岡下三番踏切と物集女踏切はラッシュ時に長時間通れず、交通渋滞の原因となっている。このため、市と阪急が07年度から国庫補助による都市計画事業として立体交差化工事を進めている。

市によると、国庫補助のうち社会資本整備総合交付金の本年度配分額が立体交差化事業を含む10事業で、市の要望額29億6千万のほぼ半額の14億7900万円にとどまった。「例年、要求額の8割程度は交付されており、想定外」(市建設企画課)という。

予算不足が発生し、本年度内に実施予定だった上り線の電気設備整備や洛西口駅舎工事ができなくなり、スケジュールが全体的に1年程度遅れることになった。順調なら本年度内に上り線の高架化が完成し、交通渋滞も6~7割程度まで改善される見込みだった。

市は「今後も配分額が大きく落ち込む可能性もあり、工期短縮のための工夫を探りたい。これ以上影響を出さないためにも国にしっかり要望したい」としている。

工事が進む阪急京都線立体交差化事業。国庫補助の配分が少なく、1年程度遅れる見込みとなった(京都市西京区・阪急桂駅南)
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #4171
quashlo

Found this interesting application of Google Maps to visualize train traffic in Greater Tōkyō:
http://www.demap.info/tetsudonow/

So many trains...
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #4172
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo
Found this interesting application of Google Maps to visualize train traffic in Greater Tōkyō:
http://www.demap.info/tetsudonow/

So many trains...
Good find! The problem, though: it's in Japanese. I can't read Kanji myself to start with, so can you help me decipher which trains operate as what, as well as their final destinations? I'm very interested with the Chuo Line trains myself, along with the multitudes of subway services.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #4173
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

It's easy.

The first part will be something like 客亭 普通 Local, 急行 express and so on.
The next part shows the train's destination (渋谷行 For Shibuya. that last kanji is 行き or "yuki")
The next part is showing between what stations that train is currently traveling.
(中目黒➡代官山 Nakameguro ➡ Daikanyama)走行中 means "currently bound for" "soukouchuu”
Those that are stopped in stations are 停車中 "Station stop"
Old November 4th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #4174
Taiwan Junior
台灣 J

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
The first part will be something like 客亭 普通 Local, 急行 express and so on.
In other words, the first part displays SERVICE TYPE of each active train.

Besides...a little bug : the correct Kanji of "Kakutei" (かくてい) should be "各停" (abbr. of "各駅停車").

TAIWAN Rail Map of passenger services & Taipei, Kaohsiung, Tokyo, Osaka, Hong Kong, Seoul, Singapore Rail Map
@ TJ Zone - http://sites.google.com/site/taiwanjunior/
Taiwan Junior no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #4175
quashlo

It's all based on schedules, so even if it's in Japanese, if you take some time to study the schedules, you should be able to understand it.

By the way, if you want to see other parts of Japan, all you have to do is click on the エリア指定 ("Select area") button. The first groupings are the major metropolitan areas from north to south: Sapporo, Sendai, Tōkyō, Yokohama, Nagoya, Kyōto, Ōsaka, Kōbe, Okayama, Hakata (Fukuoka).

The next grouping is by prefecture, again north to south. Pretty interesting to see some of the smaller systems in Hiroshima, Kagawa, Toyama, etc.

Every part of Japan is covered! A pretty awesome little toy.
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #4176
quashlo

New central public passage at Tokorozawa Station to open on November 27
http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/sa...502000118.html

Quote:
 西武鉄道は、所沢駅(所沢市)改修工事で、駅の東西を結ぶ中央自由通路が二十七日に開通すると発表した。同時に飲食店を中心にした駅ナカの商業施設も七店オープンする。

改修工事は二〇〇九年十二月から行われ、中央自由通路は今年三月に駅西口から改札口まで開通していた。今回、東口とつながることで、東西の往来が可能になる。

駅ナカ商業施設の飲食店は、コーヒー店やパン店、カレーショップなどがオープンする。今年六月に開設済みの商業施設とあわせ計二十店舗が軒を連ねることになる。

また駅ナカ商業施設にはテラスを新設。駅や店舗利用者が待ち合わせ場所として活用できるようにする。

十日まで、テラスの名称を一般から募集している。詳細は「西武プロパティーズ」=電04(2926)2441=へ。 (上田融)

27日に東西が新しい自由通路で結ばれる所沢駅のイメージ図(西武鉄道提供)
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #4177
quashlo

Construction begins on elevation of Tōbu Isesaki Line at Takenotsuka
http://mainichi.jp/area/tokyo/news/2...40162000c.html

Quote:
 東武伊勢崎線竹ノ塚駅付近の鉄道高架化工事の起工式が4日、足立区立第十四中(西竹の塚1)で開かれた。

高架化工事は、都内初の区施行による連続立体交差事業で、竹ノ塚駅を中心に1・7キロの鉄道を高架化、区道2カ所の踏切をなくす。05年3月、駅南側の大踏切で4人が死傷した事故を受け、地元や区などで高架化促進の協議会を発足させた。これまで連続立体交差事業の事業主体は都だったが、区が主体となれる制度改正にこぎ着け、事故発生から約7年7カ月という異例の早さでの事業着手を実現させた。

総事業費は約540億円で、国が約240億円▽都が約100億円▽区が約110億円▽東武鉄道が約90億円−−を負担する。工事は20年度末の完了を目指しており、期間中の前期に下り急行線▽中期に上り急行線▽後期に緩行線−−の高架化を予定している。高架化工事と並行して、駅前の整備や駅の東西地域の一体化などの町づくりにも取り組む。

起工式は、区と東武鉄道が主催し、都や地元区民など関係者約200人が出席した。近藤やよい区長ら代表者がくす玉を開き、工事の安全を願った。【平井桂月】
TBS news report (2012.11.05):

Old November 5th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #4178
quashlo

Railways turn to new revenue sources
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/mv/wbs/newsl/post_29793

Quote:
少子高齢化による乗客数の減少を見据えた鉄道各社が、新たな収益源として広告事業に力を入れています。JR東日本企画は、「アドショップ」と呼ばれる、店が丸ごと広告になっている簡易店舗を駅のホーム上に設置しています。渋谷駅山手線内回りのホームには、このアドショップを使って11月6日に「日清ラ王袋麺屋」がオープン、袋麺をその場で調理して250円で提供します。人が集まる駅のホームは「一等地以上の広告効果」だと出店した日清食品は話します。JR東日本企画は、復元した東京駅のドーム内でも5日から企業の動画広告をスタート。広告費は1ヵ月320万円からです。今年上半期の広告売り上げは、前年比約12%増加しています。一方、西武鉄道では、高田馬場駅で発車合図のメロディに、味噌メーカーのマルコメのCMソングを使うなど、ユニークな広告の取り組みをしています。沿線に注目を集めることで、乗客数を増やす狙いです。
The article has a video which explains it in much more interesting detail…

I suppose this is part two of the departure melodies article, focusing on platform retail, digital signage, and the departure melodies… Basically, JR East has opened up part of the Yamanote Line platforms at Shibuya as an “ad shoppe” that allows companies advertising new products to market their product on a monthly rotating basis.
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #4179
quashlo

Niigata City receptive to Niigata Kōtsū BRT proposal
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...2060000-n1.htm

Quote:
 新潟市が平成26年度の導入を目指すBRT(次世代型バスシステム)の第1期ルートは、新潟交通が提案したJR新潟駅(中央区)-青山地区(西区)でスタートする方向になった。5日の運行事業者審査委員会終了後、中村文彦委員長が記者団に「延伸案をおおむね了承した」と述べ、市が基本方針で示した白山駅(中央区)までのルートからの延伸を認める意向を示した。審査委は年内に新潟交通を運行事業者として認めるかどうか判定し、市長に報告。市は来年1月にも最終決定を行う予定だ。

◇

市の方針ではBRTのルートは第1期導入で新潟駅-白山駅間の約4キロを想定した。

これに対し、第1提案権を持つ新潟交通は運行事業提案書で、白山駅からさらに西へ約3キロの青山地区まで延伸する案を提示した。

この日の審査委で同社側は、延伸の理由として(1)白山駅まででは7割近い乗り継ぎが発生して不便だが、青山では半数が直通で利用できる(2)青山から大堀、寺尾、白根、味方など各方面に放射線状に既存バスが運行しており、持続可能な路線網を構築できる-などと説明。

非公開で行われた審査では、委員側から延伸案に対し「新潟交通のバスシステム上、青山案はいい」と評価する声が出た一方、「青山の長所は分かったが短所が分からない。白山駅、青山双方の短所、長所を出し、比較できるようにしてほしい」という意見も出され、今後、同社側に資料を提出するよう求めることになった。

また、同社は運行事業提案書で青山延伸に伴い、全便をBRTの2両連接バスで運行するには市の基本方針の8台から4台増となる試算を示しているが、審査委で同社は「BRTはイコール連接バスではない」と強調し、路線バスの車両と組み合わせて運行する考えを示した。
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4180
quashlo

Tōbu will introduce new 60000 series for Noda Line

Official Tōbu press release:
http://www.tobu.co.jp/file/pdf/f898e...20121106105414

Will be introduced starting in FY2013, replacing the current 8000 series stock. The design is based on the 50000 series, featuring a multitude of improvements over the aging 8000 series trains including VVVF inverters, LED lighting, and lightweight aluminum alloy bodies, reducing electricity consumption by approx. 40%. LCD screens will be provided above each door (!), and wheelchair spaces will be provided in four cars of each train (6-car formations). These will be Tōbu’s first trains to feature a wireless LAN service for passengers, as well as the first to make use of Tōbu Group’s new corporate color, “future blue”.

Render:

Overall, good news for the Noda Line, an often-neglected, often-forgotten line that serves a critical workhorse role as a circumferential route across the northern and eastern suburbs of Greater Tōkyō, carrying approximately 450,000 passengers a day.