daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #4201
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo
New east-west passage at JR Shinjuku Station will drastically change passenger flows
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...2A101C1000000/

A bit of context behind this comparatively boring, but incredibly important project to better connect the east and west sides of the station. Most people who have been to Japan have probably passed through this area, and it can be a chore sometimes given the massive bulk of the JR station (16 platforms)… The new public passage will be about 25 m wide, the largest among JR East stations (together with Kawasaki Station).

First, they need to excavate the ground between the Central Passage and North Passage, creating a massive paid concourse area underneath the platforms The current North Passage will then be converted into the new public passage, with the possibility for Shinagawa-style ekinaka station retail.

The start of construction on the project is also kickstarting related projects, including a new station plaza at the East Exit of the JR station being led by the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government, a new urban design plan for the East Exit area being spearheaded by Shinjuku Ward, a relaxation of building parking requirements in the East Exit area, as well as a possible redevelopment of Odakyū’s station and properties at the West Exit (the railway recently purchased the Shinjuku Subaru Building).
Dang, that is another improvement and expansion indeed for Tokyo's (and Japan's) busiest railway station. And it's really good to see related projects moving along with the JR station expansion... Will that mean more passengers using the already massive station? And what's an estimated cost of this construction? I would really like to see how much more stores and restaurants will be built at the new extension because it seems like JR and other private railway companies will get even more riders using those services, in addition to even more customers shopping and dining in the area. With that project, I have realized the true value of railways in Japan: can that be modeled in the US, if not for Congress gerrymandering on infrastructure investment issues?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #4202
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Random question.

What is this modular looking building built over the tracks just south of Shinjuku Station?
That is the JR East HQ building.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #4203
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

orulz is talking about the temporary looking building built directly above the tracks, not the tower in the background.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #4204
quashlo

Yokohama, Kawasaki look to railway viaducts for nursery schools
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/kan...OYT8T01621.htm

Quote:
 駅に近い鉄道の高架下を集会場や展示場、保育所などに利用する動きが県内で広がっている。高架下の土地を所有する鉄道事業者が、利便性の高さから地元自治体や地域住民と連携して有効活用を図っているのが特徴だ。特に待機児童問題を抱える横浜、川崎両市では保育所の新たな立地場所として大きな期待をかけている。(藤亮平)

京浜急行日ノ出町駅(横浜市中区)から歩いて3分ほどの高架下に、折れ曲がった屋根やガラス張りの壁が印象的なイベントスペース4棟が立ち並んでいる。昨年8月から今年10月にかけて相次いでオープン。現在は、周辺で開催中の芸術イベント「黄金町バザール」のメーン会場に利用されている。

先月28日の日曜日には、各棟に地元商店会の出店などが並んだ。天井からは時折、電車の通過する音が響くが、買い物客らは気にする様子もなく、店を出していた洋服店「GOOD DAYS」経営、池辺宜紀さん(31)は「お客さんと会話していても、電車の音は全く気にならない」と話した。

4棟の建設は、2010年から京急と地域住民らが街づくりの一環として協議。人々が高架下を行き来する際の障害にならないように集会場やギャラリーとしての利用が決まった。今後も地域の活性化に向け、様々なイベントに活用される予定だ。

一方、待機児童問題を抱える横浜、川崎両市では、高架下を保育所として利用する計画が相次いでいる。民間保育所の増設で問題の解消を目指している両市は「利便性が高く、園庭まで確保できる土地は貴重」(横浜市)などと、駅周辺や沿線に土地を所有する鉄道事業者の協力に期待をかけている。高架下の保育所でも、電車の音や振動はほとんど気にならず、幼児が昼寝から起きてしまうこともないという。

横浜市には現在、京急上大岡駅(港南区)と相鉄いずみ中央駅(泉区)近くの高架下に各1か所、認可保育所がある。来年4月には京急黄金町駅やJR石川町駅付近などの高架下に計3か所、認可保育所が新設される予定で、JR東日本は、今後予定している関内駅北口の改修工事に合わせ、同駅でも保育施設の整備を検討している。

鉄道事業者に建設費用の一部を補助している川崎市では、昨年から今年にかけて東急電鉄やJRの高架下に計4か所の認可保育所がオープンした。市保育所整備推進担当は「用地確保が難しい中、鉄道事業者の土地であれば、長期的な保育所運営が可能」と説明している。

交通計画を研究している早大創造理工学部の浅野光行教授(69)は、「高架下用地に公共性の高い施設を整備することは、自治体だけでなく、鉄道事業者にとっても沿線価値を高めるメリットがあり、今後も利用が拡大していくのではないか」と話している。

京浜急行日ノ出町駅近くの高架下に設けられたイベントスペース(横浜市中区で)
I’d love to see this trend increase, as it’s great for working parents to be able to just drop their children off at some place near their local train station on their way to work.
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4205
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Can that be modeled too in and near subway and rail stations here in the US as well because a lot of parents just drop their kids off at a daycare center (which is usually a home) then continue to drive further to a train station... Can the kid and parent go together until the railway station and let the kid be dropped off at a daycare center next to the rail station so that the parent can save more on fuel costs?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old November 11th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #4206
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Can that be modeled too in and near subway and rail stations here in the US as well because a lot of parents just drop their kids off at a daycare center (which is usually a home) then continue to drive further to a train station... Can the kid and parent go together until the railway station and let the kid be dropped off at a daycare center next to the rail station so that the parent can save more on fuel costs?
Possible but it has it's own problems on who owns the property and legislative rules on how the property can be utilized.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #4207
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

It seems that building was not there in January 2003 and then magically appeared by the end of the year.

It seems like it's strangely inaccessible. Looks like there's a stairway from the end of platform 5/6 and a stairway from the street.

Another random question!!

Any idea what will be done with the Tokyu elevated approach to Shibuya station after all trains are diverted underground? Any chance for a "High Line" sort of thing? Or will Tokyu sell off the real estate for development?
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #4208
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Well, if the situation on the Toyoko Line between Higashi Hakuraku and Yokohama Sta. is any clue, the right of way will be converted to an urban trail/park. The layout of the parcels of land makes conventional development difficult, as well as the fact there is a railway tunnel underneath. Perhaps some development such as pay parking lots will occur.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #4209
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
Possible but it has it's own problems on who owns the property and legislative rules on how the property can be utilized.
True. I think that it can be placed instead close enough to the railway or subway station that parents can just drop their kid/s off and walk to the nearest turnstile to board their train. I think policies regarding such can be best brought up to either City Hall or Board of Education or both.

Old November 11th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #4210
quashlo

The Tōyoko Line alignment parallels the Shibuya River, so the plan is just to have some riverfront open space (水辺空間): http://www.city.shibuya.tokyo.jp/kur...df/gaiku_a.pdf
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4211
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
The Tōyoko Line alignment parallels the Shibuya River, so the plan is just to have some riverfront open space (水辺空間): http://www.city.shibuya.tokyo.jp/kur...df/gaiku_a.pdf
Cool.

Looking at pictures of what they did between Higashi Hakuraku and Yokohama, if they can do something similar in Shibuya it will be great. A little bit of extra open space will be a fantastic asset, since there's so little of it to begin with in Shibuya.

Related topic, since you guys seem to know the answers to all my questions. Are there any plans for the former Toyoko line right of way between Yokohama and Sakuragicho? I went wandering in that area almost nine years ago. I distinctly recall thinking that the embankment carrying the (then) recently abandoned section of the Toyoko line and the Negishi line made the area inland from the tracks feel grungy and cut off from the (then) mostly empty but rapidly developing Minato Mirai area. If I can track down the pictures I took back then I'll post them. It looks like some of the graffiti has been cleaned up lately (contrast this view with this one, essentially the same angle but probably a couple years apart in time) but even after the cleaning, it still seems badly cut off from the gleaming Minato Mirai area.

If they could replace the embankment with a narrower viaduct that's more open (like the expressway viaduct just nextdoor) that would be a great improvement.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #4212
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz

Cool.

Looking at pictures of what they did between Higashi Hakuraku and Yokohama, if they can do something similar in Shibuya it will be great. A little bit of extra open space will be a fantastic asset, since there's so little of it to begin with in Shibuya.
There's a plan from Tokyu to use the space now taken up by the south end of the station and the switches just outside, to build a ixed use office & condo tower there. Right now the space just south of Rte.246 under the tracks is used for Yamato Transport's Shibuya Depot.
Quote:
Related topic, since you guys seem to know the answers to all my questions. Are there any plans for the former Toyoko line right of way between Yokohama and Sakuragicho? I went wandering in that area almost nine years ago. I distinctly recall thinking that the embankment carrying the (then) recently abandoned section of the Toyoko line and the Negishi line made the area inland from the tracks feel grungy and cut off from the (then) mostly empty but rapidly developing Minato Mirai area. If I can track down the pictures I took back then I'll post them. It looks like some of the graffiti has been cleaned up lately

If they could replace the embankment with a narrower viaduct that's more open (like the expressway viaduct just nextdoor) that would be a great improvement.
Tokyu still owns the land... They could make a Yokohama station to Yamashita Park bikeway using it. In fact the old rail route through there on the southern end is used in the same manner already. The space below could be used for storefronts if JR allows some easing below its ROW.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #4213
quashlo

It will be turned into bike parking and an elevated bike / ped path:
http://www.city.yokohama.lg.jp/toshi/toshiko/atochi/
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #4214
quashlo

New retro tram to enter service in Kagoshima on December 1
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/life/news/1...3010000-n1.htm

Quote:
 路面電車誕生100周年を迎える鹿児島市でまもなく大正時代の電車をイメージした観光レトロ電車が運行を開始する。愛称は「かごでん」に決定し、初お披露目も済ませており、市交通局は「12月1日の出発式では沿線から見かけたら手を振ってください」と心待ちにしている。

出発式は毎年行われている「市電・市バスゆーゆーフェスタ」の中で行われ、会場となる市交通局敷地内ではプルパックカーやピンバッジなどのかごでん記念グッズも販売される。

「かごでん」は大正から昭和30年頃まで走っていた20形電車をモチーフに製造。外観と天井、壁、床を木目調とし二段屋根を再現している。3日のお祭りで初公開された。(産経デジタル)

Wasn’t expecting much, but ugh… I’d handily choose those disgusting retro trams on the Arakawa Line in Tōkyō over this… Definitely not a fan.
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #4215
quashlo

Yamaguchi City unveils details of new north-south public passage and station plaza at Shin-Yamaguchi
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201211130030.html

Quote:
 山口市は12日、2017年4月の完成を目指して整備するJR新山口駅ターミナルパーク整備事業の主要施設である南北自由通路や表口駅前広場の概要を発表した。

計画では、在来線口と新幹線口を結ぶ南北自由通路(長さ約160メートル、幅約10メートル、高さ約4メートル)と橋上駅舎を事業費約100億円で整備。自由通路にはフランスの植物学者でアーティストのパトリック・ブラン氏が監修する壁面緑化を約120メートルにわたって施す。山口情報芸術センター監修のメディアアートも加え、市や山口県の観光情報などを発信する。

表口駅前広場は約10億円かけ、現在の広場を西に約90メートル、駅側に約14メートル広げて約1万1100平方メートルに拡張。市民の意見を取り入れた屋根付きの交流広場などを備える。

渡辺純忠市長は「市、県の陸の玄関口として、未来に向けた街づくりにつなげたい」と話している。

JR新山口駅の整備後予想模型。手前から奥に伸びる道路に面するのが表口駅前広場、横に伸びるのが南北自由通路と橋上駅舎

JR新山口駅表口駅前広場の完成イメージ図(山口市提供)
I really like these types of projects, which are a dime a dozen in Japan… Very simple improvements that make transit a little more convenient and improve connectivity of and with the surrounding neighborhoods.
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #4216
quashlo

New station plaza at Kintetsu Ōkubo Station to open November 19
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...2030004-n1.htm

Quote:
 宇治市が平成19年度から進めていた近鉄大久保駅前交通広場の整備事業がほぼ完成し19日から新しい広場の供用が始まる。従来の広場を拡張し、駅の東西に分散していたバス乗り場を広場内に集約、バス待機場も新たに設けられる。

駅前交通広場は同駅の東側に位置し、広さはこれまでの約2倍の4200平方メートル。広場内には6カ所のバス乗降場と、2カ所のタクシー乗降場などが設けられる。総事業費は約25億円。今年度内に広場東側に自動車31台を収容できる駐車場も新たに整備する。

同駅は宇治市の西の玄関口で、JR新田駅への乗換駅でもあり、乗降客が多い。

新しい広場の完成によって、鉄道やバス・タクシーの乗り換えの利便性が高まり、駅周辺の交通渋滞の緩和にもつながると期待されている。

17日には、広場で関係者が出席し完成式典が開かれる予定。
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #4217
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo
Yamaguchi City unveils details of new north-south public passage and station plaza at Shin-Yamaguchi
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201211130030.html

I really like these types of projects, which are a dime a dozen in Japan… Very simple improvements that make transit a little more convenient and improve connectivity of and with the surrounding neighborhoods.
Question: which station/s do you think can such a simple project in Japan be replicated here in the San Francisco Bay Area, if not in California?

Old November 13th, 2012, 03:58 AM   #4218
quashlo

Well, the best examples would be major stations with lots of at-grade tracks that separate the two station sides... Probably San Jose Diridon would be the best example locally (I suppose Sacramento might be good as well). It already has a decent station plaza (bit too much surface parking for my taste, but that's a story for another day), but there isn't much of a "public passage" to get across the tracks, just the underground pedestrian subway crossing east-west underneath the tracks, mainly used by train passengers. While it may very well be open 24 hours (not sure since I've never bothered with Caltrain or VTA at odd hours of the day), it's definitely not clearly marked, and your average person wouldn't necessarily think of being able to cross there. The station building at Diridon is also miniscule in comparison to Shin-Yamaguchi... Just one tiny (albeit historically significant) building with no retail amenities other than a cheap snack kiosk.

To be fair, Shin-Yamaguchi is served by both zairaisen and Shinkansen, so it already has the passenger demand to support a lot of station amenities, while Diridon is mostly a local / commuter station. I haven't studied the HSR plans for Diridon in any detail, but it's likely that the new station complex will be a big step towards fixing most of these issues.
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #4219
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Wasn’t expecting much, but ugh… I’d handily choose those disgusting retro trams on the Arakawa Line in Tōkyō over this… Definitely not a fan.
Agree 100%. The fake clerestory roof is especially horrid. The angular lines of modern stock don't lend themselves well to being "disneyfied". True old fashioned designs used compound curves in abundance and had a sense of craftsmanship and elegance that can't be duplicated in today's cost conscious world. In general, "retro" refurbishments and new cars with retro embellishments are awful in Japan- but the general public seems to like it (a telling comment on their sense of taste). The only "retrofication" I have liked is by Keikyu:

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; November 13th, 2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #4220
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
I haven't studied the HSR plans for Diridon in any detail, but it's likely that the new station complex will be a big step towards fixing most of these issues.
Oh, Diridon Intergalactic? About twice as large (and grandiose) as it should be: