daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #4221
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Yeah, it's definitely a bit over-the-top... I'd be happy if they could even get that level of pedestrian activity there. Everytime I've walked between the station and Downtown San Jose, I can count on one hand the number of pedestrians I pass.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #4222
quashlo

Regarding “retro” trams:

Obviously, I’ll preface this by saying that I come from a city with a lot of tourists and a public transportation system that runs perhaps some of the most extensive heritage transit anywhere, but I’ll play the part of devil’s advocate a bit…

I can’t really say that the motivational forces behind the “retro” trams in Japan are all that different from the entrepreneurial genius that gave us motorized cable cars. The only real difference is that one vehicle actually still runs on rails, while the other is on tires. The non-foamer tourists will gobble it up all the same. Besides, modern “replicas” nowadays tend to fall short whether we’re talking about Japan or not… There’s a handful of such systems in the U.S. using cars built by Gomaco, and I can’t say I’m especially fond of anything that they’ve produced, although some of their products do look slightly more “authentic” than “retro” trams in Japan.

That being said, I’ll take off my devil’s advocate cap and say that they probably should have just kept the original design of the car if they didn’t want to do a more authentic renovation, since this was essentially a refurbished 600 series. I also like the Keikyū one for the same reason… It’s just a simple repaint (wrapping?), not an actual rebuild or anything. In fact, I would have preferred that they go one step further and drop the faux paneling on the doors. Unfortunately, preservation of rolling stock beyond revenue service life has never been a priority in Japan, even if you can still see plenty of older trams and trains running in smaller cities. But if they can't bother to do an authentic rebuild and don't have any original stock preserved, then I prefer the Keisei approach... Just paint it in authentic, historical liveries.

For railfans, it’s certainly pleasing to see heritage stock in regular revenue service… Just yesterday, I had the luxury of riding original 117-year old and 98-year old streetcars, and the weekend before, I had the opportunity to ride a fully-open, 78-year old tram from Blackpool. However, I don’t think any of this would have been possible without a strong tourist base (something Kagoshima doesn’t really have) and a lot of hard work by dedicated preservationists. Meanwhile, the cable cars here are being milked for all they’re worth… Fares used to be $3 only a few years ago, but now they’re $6.
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #4223
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Oh yeah, I know which lines you're referring to. How come the cable cars are becoming "milking cows" for cash? And is it possible to export to San Francisco a streetcar straight from Japan?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #4224
quashlo

They already have one from Kōbe / Hiroshima, although I don't think it's ever been operated in revenue service since the original streetcar festivals in the '80s:
http://www.streetcar.org/streetcars/578-j/
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #4225
quashlo

JR West Harima Katsuhara Station

Photo tour of this relatively new station (opened 2008.03.15) on the San’yō Main Line between Agaho and Aboshi. The San’yō Main Line tracks are at-grade, so the station has the standard elevated concourse, public passage, and platform bridge.
Source: http://saitoshika.blog119.fc2.com/

The South Exit of the station, where new residential development is underway, along with a huge suburban shopping center (Aeon Mall Himeji Ōtsu).

North-south public passage

Ticketing entrance is a three-gate array with West Japan Railway Techsia AG50 faregates, JR West’s new standard model.

Paid-area concourse. The station has two platforms, two tracks.

The station is situated between Agaho and Aboshi, the latter being the site of a major JR West railyard and a major terminus for many of JR West’s Tōkaidō / San’yō Main Line services in the Keihanshin region. Midday service at Harima Katsuhara is only 4 tph, and the station has only about 6,700 daily exits, but since both rapid and special rapid (shin-kaisoku) trains stop at the station, the platform length was designed to handle 12-car trains.

Strangely, no escalator, but there is an elevator and a platform-level, air-conditioned waiting room.

Platform-level departure boards are low-resolution three-color LEDs with only two rows. This and the lack of escalators are probably an indication that Himeji City may have been trying to cut down on costs, since this is a petition station.

North Exit

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #4226
quashlo

JR West Kiha 127 (Kiha 122) series

This is a recently introduced JR West DMU series (entered service 2009.03.14) in conjunction with the capacity upgrades to the Kishin Line out of Himeji Station. Top speed is 100 km/h. Manufactured by Niigata Transys. Base unit is two cars—single-ended units (only one end with a cab) are designated as Kiha 127, double-ended units are designated as Kiha 122.

The cab design is based on the 223-5000 series… Without knowing better, it could easily pass as one of the newer JR West EMUs on the Kansai-area urban network.

The side features yellow and orange stripes, representing yellow ears of rice and red dragonflies. These units are deployed specifically for the Kishin Line, and feature a special logo unique to the line.

Cars are two doors per side, and the seating is a mix of longitudinal and 2+1 transverse. The latter is the same seating configuration on the 223-0 and 223-2500 series inner-suburban / commuter EMUs, designed with a wider center aisle to handle rush hour standees. Fluorescent bulbs are uncovered, a simple design similar to the 321 series.

The inner end of the cars, including the longitudinal seating, is also similar to the 321 series. The lintel above the gangway door features an LED scroll-type display.

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #4227
quashlo

Hanshin Sannomiya Station construction update

An update on one of the more interesting station-specific projects in Kansai (2012.10).

New stairwell and escalators at the west end of the station. To refresh our memories, this project involves a series of upgrades to this underground station, including a complex reconfiguration of the three-track layout that will move the stub track from the south side to the center of a widened island platform.

The biggest milestone in the project was completed with the conversion of the track on 2012.06.02. The center track (Track 2) is now the stub track, serving to turn back trains, while the south-side track (Track 3) now serves outbound trains for Motomachi, Nishidai, and the San’yō Electric Railway, as shown in these new departure boards.

Hanshin Namba Line trains turning back at Sannomiya now use Track 2, allowing cross-platform transfers from both directions of the Hanshin Main Line. Of course, we can always wonder why they never designed the station like this from the beginning, but they probably added the third track well after the original station opened.

Work is proceeding apace on refurbishing the existing platforms, including installation of decorative wall panels and lighting. The design needed to preserve the original arches supporting the platform-level roof, but they’ve done a pretty good job of bringing the station up to standard despite.

Like at the newly-opened East Exit of the station, the columns on the platform level have been wrapped in brick paneling.

East end of the station, where it appears they will be expanding the platforms to eight carlengths. Currently, the maximum train length on the Hanshin Main Line is only six cars, the shortest among the major private railways in Kansai, so there may be a long-term future plan to eventually increase train length. Currently, some of the longer Namba Line / Kintetsu Nara Line trains are forced to cut cars at Amagasaki.

Rising to surface level, we see the newly-opened pedestrian bridge over the main road south of JR Sannomiya Station, National Route 2. The Hanshin Main Line follows beneath this road through central Kōbe.

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #4228
quashlo

Shin-Ōsaka Station Ōsaka Higashi Line construction update

These are from 2012.08, two months after the last update.

The canopy on the new island platform looks largely complete.

Obviously, the new platform will require a lot of changes to the track layout at the station. This is the south end of the station, closer to Ōsaka Station, where a new switch has already been delivered.

View of the new platform from the current Platforms 17 / 18. Track-laying had just begun in the last update, but the ballast is now in place and tamped. This segment looks pretty much complete.

The platform section underneath the third-floor zairaisen concourse

A little bit difficult to see with the protective netting, but this is where the escalators will go.

The north end of the new platforms, closer to Kyōto Station.

Work at this end proceeded rapidly, and the platform floor and canopy are now largely complete.

Looking north

With the work proceeding so quickly, perhaps they will begin using the new platform pretty soon, even though the Ōsaka Higashi Line extension is only supposed to open in 2017 or so.

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4229
quashlo

JR Hokkaidō Shiroishi Station

A tour of the elevated platform bridge, public passage, and station concourse, which opened on 2011.01.30. This is an urban station on the Hakodate Main Line and Chitose Line in Sapporo, two stations away from Sapporo Station.

Escalators to / from the north-south public passage. A fairly simple design at the heart, but I think the bold color choices and diversity of materials definitely helps.

Apparently, the station only has a little over 7,000 exits a day, so the amount and scale of investment, including this really wide public passage, is a bit surprising.

Station entrance along the public passage. Cold is obviously a big concern in Hokkaidō.

Ticketing entrance is a five-gate array, all equipped with Kitaca readers. Next year, passengers should be able to pass through here using any of the 10 major farecards across the country.

Paid-area concourse, with a nice view of the tracks. With the preponderance of these types of projects, definitely makes it easier to do some railfanning on the way to / from work.

Shiroishi is a five-track station (four stopping tracks with a center passing track).

The vertical circulation is all fully-enclosed as well, and there are no benches on the platform.

Rapid Airport for Shin-Chitose

A 731 series on a sectional rapid run. This was JR Hokkaidō’s first real urban stock, with all longitudinal seating, air curtains to keep out cold air, far-infrared heating units, and button-operated “half-automatic” doors.

Old November 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #4230
quashlo

JR West to experiment with platform ropes
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/life/news/1...0000019-n1.htm

Quote:
 電車の乗客がホームから転落したり、列車と接触したりするのを防ぐため、JR西日本は13日、ロープを上下に昇降させて安全を確保する「昇降式ホーム柵」の開発を進めていると発表した。従来の可動式ホーム柵と異なり、ドア数が異なる複数の形式の車両が走る路線でも導入できるところがポイントで、今年度中に試作機を作って試験を行う予定。

昇降式ホーム柵は、高さ約1・3メートルのポストをホームに複数設置し、間に数本のロープを張りめぐらすことで転落などを防止する。電車が到着すると、ポストが伸びてロープがドアより高い位置に上昇する仕組み。

JR西では事故防止策として、昨年3月から東西線などの一部の駅で、左右にドア部分が開く可動式ホーム柵を導入した。一方で、柵の位置が固定されるため、乗降口の位置が異なる形式の車両が走る路線では導入できなかった。

このため韓国で導入されているロープを使用した同様のホーム柵を参考にして昨秋から開発を始めた。

JR西日本が導入を検討している「昇降式ホーム柵」のロープ下降時(上)と上昇時のイメージ(JR西日本提供)
The benefits of this type of system are primarily in lower cost, simpler installation, and flexibility in handling rolling stock with different door configurations. Testing using a prototype unit will begin this fiscal year.
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #4231
quashlo

LRT plan becomes centerpiece of mayoral election battle in Utsunomiya
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...2010001-n1.htm

Quote:
 任期満了に伴う宇都宮市長選は11日、告示され、無所属新人で学習塾経営の河内宏之氏(62)と、無所属現職で3選を目指す佐藤栄一氏(51)=自民、公明推薦=の2人が立候補した。佐藤氏がLRT(次世代型路面電車)をはじめとする公共交通網の整備を主張しているのに対し、河内氏は「多額の借金がある中で整備に383億円かかり、赤字が予想される」と批判。佐藤氏の2期8年の市政の評価とともにLRT導入が争点となっている。投開票は知事選、県議補選と同じ18日。

河内氏は11日午前10時から、宇都宮市鶴田町の選挙事務所で出陣式を開いた。LRTに反対する会の瀧田剛也実行委員長は「LRTありきでなく、真に市民のための公共交通の検討を」と訴え、平出工業団地の産廃処理施設建設に反対している東中久保自治会の芝弘司会長は「佐藤氏には『裁量権がない』と逃げを打たれた。市政を変えてもらいたい」。その後、河内氏は市中心部の二荒山神社前や商業施設で街頭演説を行った。

佐藤氏は同日午前10時から同市陽西町の護国神社前で第一声を上げた。出陣式には自民党県連と公明党県本部の幹部や、知事選に3選を目指して出馬している福田富一氏らが参加。船田元・選挙対策本部長は「この2期8年で宇都宮が元気を取り戻している。これからの4年間、佐藤氏に100年先も栄えるまちの基礎づくりをしてほしい」と支持を呼びかけた。佐藤氏は東武宇都宮駅前や二荒山神社前など街頭で政策を訴えた。

10日現在の有権者数は41万4849人。
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #4232
quashlo

Sendai City unveils design for new City Subway Tōzai Line trains
http://sendai.keizai.biz/headline/1291/

Quote:
 仙台市は11月13日、2015年度に開業を予定する地下鉄東西線の車両デザインを発表した。

仙台市地下鉄東西線は、太白区の動物公園駅から若林区の荒井駅まで約13.9キロ・13駅を結ぶ路線。1987(昭和62)年に開業した地下鉄南北線に続き、仙台市交通局2本目の地下鉄路線となる。総建設費は2,735億円。2015年度の開業を目指し、トンネルなどの土木工事をはじめ駅舎の改装工事、軌道工事を進めている。

今回発表した車両デザインのコンセプトは「自然と調和し、伊達の歴史を未来へつなぐデザイン」。車両前面には「歴史」を表現する伊達政宗公の兜の前立てと、「調和」を示す円形ラインをあしらう。車両側面上部の連続ラインは空・川・海を表す「青」を、中央部のスクエアドットは「自然や人が調和している仙台の街」を表現し、水の「青」、青葉の「緑」、街の活気や人の温かさを表す「黄」や「オレンジ」を配色。車内全体は落ち着いた雰囲気の配色にまとめ、座席には伊逹を感じさせる「紺系」、床には開放感のある明るい配色を施すという。

車両は車輪式リニアモーター車両・2000系を採用し、4両15編成の60両を製造。2013年4月ごろから製造に着手し、2013年度中に1編成目の車両を荒井車庫へ搬入した後、試運転を始める予定。

仙台市は11月13日、2015年度に開業を予定する地下鉄東西線の車両デザインを発表した。

仙台市地下鉄東西線2000系車両・インテリアイメージ。南北線の車両に比べコンパクトになっている
Looks like the line color will a sky blue, in contrast to the green for the existing Namboku Line. Order is fr 15 four-car trains, with production beginning around April 2013. First train will arrive at Arai Yard in FY2013 for testing. Overall design is fairly similar to existing linear-motor mini-subways like the Green Line in Yokohama.
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #4233
quashlo

Kawasaki to open Japan's first one-way bicycle lanes
http://mainichi.jp/english/english/n...na014000c.html

Quote:
KAWASAKI -- The municipal government here is set to strip two lanes out of a four-lane road to make space for a test of Japan's first dedicated one-way bicycle lanes.

The new 2-meter-wide lanes are scheduled to open on Nov. 14 for a two-week trial, and traverse a rail underpass that has seen some serious accidents in recent years. A July survey of the 200-meter-long section that includes the underpass counted an average of 3,500 bicycles every weekday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. -- congestion made more dangerous as cyclists, many riding against the direction of traffic, pick up speed going downhill.

In one head-on bicycle collision in May this year, a housewife suffered severe head trauma leading to her death about 20 days later. The female university student on the other end of the accident, who'd been riding against traffic, was sent to the Family Court on suspicion of negligence resulting in death. In a 2008 incident, a male cyclist traveling on the sidewalk exchanged angry words with a pedestrian he'd grazed while passing. The cyclist was killed when the pedestrian pushed him over.

City staff are now informing locals about the new lanes, which will also be separated from vehicle traffic by guard rails and marked by new one-way bike lane signs. Under the Road Traffic Law, cyclists are obliged to use bike lanes where available, and revised National Police Agency rules on road signage released last year allowed for one-way bike lane signs.

The Kawasaki Municipal Government, citing concerns that the removal of two vehicle lanes may cause traffic problems, will also monitor local traffic flow during the trial period. If, however, no serious problems emerge during the 14 days, the city plans to make the bike lanes permanent.

A stretch of road near JR Kawasaki Station in Kawasaki, where the first one-way bicycle lanes will open on Nov. 14. The yellow portions show the planned paths of the lanes. (Mainichi)
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #4234
quashlo

Tour buses to get designated bus stops
http://mainichi.jp/select/news/20121...20139000c.html

Quote:
 ツアーバスを企画する旅行業者をバス事業に組み入れる新制度導入に向け、国土交通省は、深夜や早朝に使わない既存の路線バスの停留所を旅行業者のバス停として配分する方針を固めた。警察や自治体も参加する協議会を地方運輸局の主催で設置し、旅行業者がバス事業参入に当たって必要な停留所をスムーズに確保できるよう調整、決定する。

46人が死傷した関越道の高速ツアーバス事故を受け、国交省は7月、運行に際して安全上の責任がなかった旅行業者に対し、来年7月までにバス事業の許可を取得させて管理下に置く新制度の導入を決定。これに伴い、路上などで乗客を乗降させていたツアーバスに停留所が必要になる。しかし都心はバス停を新設する場所が少なく、旅行業者から対策を望む声が上がっていた。

そこで大都市のある各地方運輸局は今月下旬から、ターミナル駅ごとにツアーバスや路線バスの業界団体、駅前広場の地権者らが参加する協議会を設置。路線バスの停留所を旅行業者のツアーバスが使えるよう調整する。その際、運行実績に比例して、バス停を使える時間帯の枠を配分。難しい場合にバス停の新設を検討する。

国交省は今年度末までに調整を終え、来年4月から旅行業者のバス事業参入を受け付ける方針。【桐野耕一】
All part of a new system being rolled out to regulate tour bus services following a recent deadly accident involving 46 passengers on a Kantō Railway highway express bus. This particular measure will be interesting, as it will be difficult to secure curb space for tour buses in crowded urban areas like central Tōkyō.
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #4235
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

So many good news indeed, especially the Katsuhara Station images. That makes me realize that railway stations are a sign of a community's progress, and it seems like that even a simple station design can really make a town proud of using the rail station on a daily basis.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #4236
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
So many good news indeed, especially the Katsuhara Station images. That makes me realize that railway stations are a sign of a community's progress, and it seems like that even a simple station design can really make a town proud of using the rail station on a daily basis.
That is probably because in most cases the station is the center of the city and a gateway connecting to other areas.
I believe it was the same in the US before car transportation became majority.
All of the stations on the Yamanote line are cental districts like Shinjyuku, Ikebukuro, Tokyo(Marunouchi), Shinbashi, Shinagawa,Ueno, etc because of it's convenience as well.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #4237
quashlo

New Takaoka Station building construction update

First set on this project, which involves construction of a new station building at Takaoka Station to replace the aging existing station building (built 1966). This will be a mixed-use building adjacent to JR Takaoka Station that houses both transport-related and retail functions, a popular setup in Japan for these types of buildings. The ground floor of the building will house the transit hub functions of the station, including the Man’yō Line station and waiting areas for buses.

Some pictures from 2012.09:

Render of the new station building and station plaza. Pretty standard plaza design in Japan, but this will be a slight deviation from the standard due to the Man’yō Line.

The previous station building has already been demolished. From this vantage point, we can also see the new platform bridge and elevated concourse at the JR station that opened in August of last year.

Current Man’yō Line platform at the station. They will extend the tracks a bit as part of the project to bring the trains straight into the building’s ground floor.

Man’yō Line is one of the repurposed tram lines in Japan, similar to Toyama Light Rail. The vehicles are basically identical to the Portram and Centram cars in use in Toyama.

Old November 14th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4238
quashlo

New Keiō CM

New autumn-themed CM for this year’s campaign with Ueno Juri:

Old November 14th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #4239
quashlo

New Tōkyō Metro posters

Click for larger.

Old November 14th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #4240
quashlo

Survey shows strong shopping habits among commuters at stations
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2012/11/14/076/

Quote:
このほど実施された調査で、東京都心において日常的に駅を利用する人は、駅売店よりも駅ビルや駅ナカで買い物をする傾向が強いことがわかった。ジャストシステムが運営するセルフ型アンケートサービス「Fastask」調べ。

同調査は、東京都内へ鉄道を利用して週5日以上通勤・通学している15~49歳までの男女合わせて1,000名を対象に、10月31日から11月2日にかけて実施された。調べによると、帰路を含めた通勤・通学途中に、乗降駅や乗換駅などの施設で週5日以上買い物をしている人は22.6%。「週に3日以上」まで含めると合計で40.0%に上り、通勤・通学ルート上での消費活動が活発であることがわかった。

乗降駅や乗換駅などの施設でよく買い物をする施設として、最も多く名前が挙がったのは、「駅ビル(改札外)にある店舗」で61.8%。以下、「駅ナカ(改札内)にある店舗」(22.6%)、「駅売店(改札外)」(7.3%)、「駅売店(改札内)」(5.5%)、「駅売店(ホーム)」(2.8%)と続いた。また、1回あたりの平均的な買い物金額については、回答者の36.7%が「2,000円以上」を選択している。

通勤・通学で鉄道を利用する人にとって、駅および駅関連施設での買い物の重要性が高まっている現状をうかがわせる結果となった。
Some interesting data on shopping habits of workers and students who commute into Tōkyō Prefecture…

Frequency of shopping during their commute at retail facilities at their origin, destination, or transfer station on their commute:
Five or more days a week: 22.6%
Three or more days a week: 40.0%

Most frequently visited retail facilities:
Stores in the station tenant building (駅ビル), outside of the paid area: 61.8%
Station retail (駅ナカ), inside the paid area: 22.6%
Station retail kiosk, outside of the paid area: 7.3%
Station retail kiosk, inside the paid area: 5.5%