daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #4241
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Video of the first of the new 160 Metra Highliner cars being manufactured by Nippon Sharyō at their new facility in Rochelle, Illinois:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,2530701.story

Full article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,1479771.story

I can’t believe this order cost $577 million!
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #4242
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Video of the first of the new 160 Metra Highliner cars being manufactured by Nippon Sharyō at their new facility in Rochelle, Illinois:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,2530701.story

Full article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,1479771.story

I can’t believe this order cost $577 million!
It is ridiculously expensive. I'm not a big fan of the gallery cars either, they're an inefficient use of space. But that's what you get when you insist upon a proprietary design.

Rolling stock in the US is generally expected to put in 50 years of service with relatively minor system overhauls before it's retired. If it starts to fall apart much before then, it will be considered a failure.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4243
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Rolling stock in the US is generally expected to put in 50 years of service with relatively minor system overhauls before it's retired. If it starts to fall apart much before then, it will be considered a failure.
By that metric, given that the gallery cars are essentially a 1950's design, by the time the new units are retired, they will be 100+ year old designs! Kind of like a taxi company retiring a model T in 2012...
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #4244
quashlo

New Himeji Station building to open Golden Week 2013
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2012/11/15/126/

Quote:
JR西日本はこのほど、JR姫路駅で建設中の新駅ビルを、2013年のゴールデンウィークをめどに開業させると発表した。

新駅ビルの名称は「piole姫路(ピオレ ヒメジ)」。地下1階、地上6階で延べ面積約3万1,000平方メートル、店舗面積約1万3,000平方メートル。約120店舗が入居する。東急ハンズを核テナントとし、レディスウエア、セレクトショップ、アクセサリー、シューズ、インナー、コスメ、雑貨、飲食、クリニック、美容、サービスなど、姫路初出店のブランドを中心に幅広い業種が入居する予定。JR西日本が土地を所有し、ジェイアール西日本不動産開発が建物を設置。神戸SC開発が運営に当たる。

新駅ビルの開業に合わせ、駅中央改札口前の「プリエ」、駅東改札口前の「プリエごちそう館」、駅中央改札口付近の「プリエおみやげ館」も新駅ビルの名称で統一する。既存の「プリエ」各施設を合わせると、全体では店舗数約210店舗、総店舗面積約2万3,000平方メートルの大型施設となる。

Good to see Himeji getting a nice gateway terminal… Should be a nice view down the main road north of the station, with Himeji Castle looming in the distance. Now if they can only do some BRT or light rail on it, it would be perfect.
Old November 16th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #4245
quashlo

Toei Subway to have 100% mobile coverage by March 2013
http://itpro.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/...121116/438061/

Quote:
 東京都交通局は2012年11月16日、都営地下鉄トンネル内での携帯電話サービスエリアを大幅に拡大し、2013年3月までに全線(約109キロ)で利用できるようにすると発表した。対象となる携帯電話事業者は、NTTドコモ、KDDI、ソフトバンクモバイル、イー・アクセスの4社。

都営地下鉄線内では、既に新宿線の新宿駅・九段下駅間で携帯電話サービスを開始済み。さらに11月19日正午から、浅草線、三田線、大江戸線の一部区間でもサービスを開始、新宿線でもエリアを拡大する。12月中には大江戸線都庁前駅・光が丘駅間を除く全線がサービスエリアになる。

残った都庁前駅・光が丘駅間は2013年3月までに順次サービスを開始し、これをもって都営地下鉄全線のエリア化が完了。駅だけではなく、駅間のトンネル内を走行中の電車内でも、電子メールやインターネット接続を利用できるようになる。

東京都交通局は、別途UQコミュニケーションズのWiMAXについてもサービスエリア拡大を進めており、12月末までに全線がサービスエリアになる。

東京メトロ(正式社名は東京地下鉄)も2012年度(2013年3月期)中に全線(現在連絡線設置工事中である有楽町線・副都心線の小竹向原駅~千川駅間を除く)を主要4社の携帯電話サービスエリア化すると発表しており、順次エリアを拡大中である。

この結果、2013年3月までに東京の地下鉄はほぼ全線が“圏内”に入ることになる。
Tōkyō Metro will also have 100% coverage by March 2013, aside from a small section on the Yūrakuchō Line / Fukutoshin Line between Kotake–Mukaihara and Senkawa where they are building new tunnels.
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #4246
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 467

so far, only the Hibiya line seems to have contiguous coverage in the tunnels between stations right now. There's no PR about it like posters or anything either; I just kinda noticed when I got a few text messages while riding.

Usually I try to load my RSS app up before we hit the portals so I can read without needing a connection.

Of course all the subway stations themselves have full cellphone and WiFi service inside of them so most people here just wait until the train pulls into a station and fire off as many text messages as we can til the doors close again and we pull out.

Hopefully not just Tokyo Metro and Toei, but the other operators here who have long tunnel segments that already in operation or being built will also put wireless service in their subway sections as well.

I should also note here that the Nagoya Subway also is doing the same exact thing right now and as far as I know the entire higashiyama line is already finished.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #4247
quashlo

Foreign trams return to Tosa Electric Railway
http://www.kochinews.co.jp/?&nwSrl=2...wIW=1&nwVt=knd

Quote:
 土佐電鉄(高知市)は11月から、ICカード「ですか」に対応できず、定期運行から退いていた外国電車3両を〝復活〟させた。電車ファンの根強い復活の声に応えるため、来年5月ごろまで週末と祝日、高知城下に異国情緒を運ぶ。
 オスロ市電(ノルウェー)とリスボン市電(ポルトガル)、グラーツ市電(オーストリア)の3両で高知駅前―升形で運行。いずれも1939~49年に造られた。
 3両は92~94年に導入。オスロ市電は青色がベース。製造当時、流線形の車体で注目され、今は世界に数台しかないレア物だ。
 3両は「ですか」が導入された2009年1月、カードを読み取るシステムを備えていなかったため、〝退役〟していた。今回、路線バスの減便で使わなくなったシステムを転用した。
 写真撮影の機会として高知駅前で1日3回、約30分間停車するダイヤを組み、高知駅前から乗った人には各車両先着千人に名刺サイズの記念乗車証をプレゼントする。

【写真】雨中の通りをさっそうと走り抜けるグラーツ市電(高知市本町1丁目)
Three trams from Oslo, Lisbon, and Graz from 1939 to 1949 returned to revenue service on the Tosa Electric Railway starting this month for the first time in three years after being tucked away because they were unable to accept the railway’s IC card (Desuka), which was introduced in January 2009. Apparently, they now have some spare reader units after the railway cut some of its bus services.
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4248
quashlo

Automatic faregates and TVMs coming to Taketoyo Line
http://mainichi.jp/area/aichi/news/2...20106000c.html

Quote:
 JR東海は、武豊線で自動改札機が設置されていない6駅に来秋から、一括管理型の新システムを導入する。自動改札機を設置するとともに、駅員が無人の際はできなかった切符の購入やICカード乗車券への入金(チャージ)などもできるようになるという。

JR東海によると、緒川・東浦・亀崎・乙川・東成岩・武豊の6駅に設置する。乙川と東成岩駅は無人駅で、他の4駅は夜間などは無人だった。自動改札機がないため、6駅で乗り込んだ乗客は、自動改札機がある駅でも係員に切符の提示が必要など不便だった。

また、名古屋駅内に遠隔案内センターを新たに設置し、券売機近くのインターホンを通じてオペレーターと話ができるようにする。

新システム導入に伴い、4駅も無人化する。工事開始は来年春を予定し、工事費は3億4000万円を見込んでいる。【黒尾透】
They are making four of the six stations unstaffed with installation of the faregates and TVMs, which is likely part of the on-going modernization of the line, including electrification. Together with the recent electrification of the Sasshō Line in Sapporo, it’s good to see these types of medium-scale investments moving forward.
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #4249
quashlo

There’s now a tabulation of ridership at JR East stations in the Greater Tōkyō area on Wikipedia, probably the most complete you can get without actually working for JR East and having all the data available to you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mpany_stations

The tabulated total of daily station entries (15.6 million) is by far the largest of any railway operator in Tōkyō, and easily confirms the approximate number of 14 million that’s been thrown around in published documents.
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4250
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
There’s now a tabulation of ridership at JR East stations in the Greater Tōkyō area on Wikipedia, probably the most complete you can get without actually working for JR East and having all the data available to you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mpany_stations

The tabulated total of daily station entries (15.6 million) is by far the largest of any railway operator in Tōkyō, and easily confirms the approximate number of 14 million that’s been thrown around in published documents.
Among the top several stations, I would have thought Ueno would rank higher, and I had no idea that Omiya would rank way up there at #8.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #4251
quashlo

Probably has to do a lot with the fact that Ōmiya has a critical private railway connection in the Tōbu Noda Line... There are close to 70,000 passengers transferring daily between JR and Tōbu at Ōmiya. In comparison, most of the private railway transfers that would ideally take place at Ueno take place at Nippori instead.
Old November 19th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #4252
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 467

New Entrance Opens for Tokyo Metro's Shibuya station

Small little blip of news to report here as we're 112 days away from the connection between Tokyu's Toyoko and Tokyo Metro's Fukutoshin lines.

The old #14 entrance into the subway station complex closed this past Friday, and was replaced by a new #14 entrance that's closer to the Toyoko and JR's line's South Gate out of their station, along with the east side bus terminal. It's located directly under the new pedestrian bridge connecting the above-ground station complex with the new Shibuya Hikarie development across Meiji-Dori.

The old stairwell was right next to Exit 9 (about 20ft away actually) and put you right at the midway point of the southern hall connecting the New Main (Fukutoshin/Hikarie) gates to the Main (Den'en-Toshi/Hanzomon) gates. For people like me who run up and down 5 staircases to transfer, this new straight through route cuts about a minute off the transfer time-- I've missed trains in that span of time too

As you can see here, it's a straight shot into the gates here... or you can walk across the way under here and end up in Hikarie's B3F lobby, since this is a public passage and not within fare control.

The staircase itself is more spartan than the one it replaces and with good reason: Part of the new JR station/Tokyu store complex will be built right here. The pedestrian overpass over the entrance is temporary until after the bus terminal so this could very well be replaced by a tunnel heading straight into the basement of the new building. Instead of a set of stairs and both up and down escalators, it only sports a staircase and escalators going up. Not a big deal, but it's a little narrower than before. Also the white ceramic looking wall finishes are swapped out for simple concrete walls painted a bright white. The stairs double back in a spiral fashion to the B2 level, then one more flight straight onto B3. This is because the Shibuya river passes right above in a big concrete pipe, and has been that way since the late 60's. This is another reason for the serious depth of even the Hanzomon/Den'en-Toshi line station on B4. Once, it even broke through and flooded the station!

So what happens with the old #14? It's closed indefinitely. Since it's directly underneath the bridge supporting the Ginza line subway, it probably won't reopen until they've finished rebuilding that elevated section. Or it may simply be extended into the new JR/Tokyu station development on the basement level. Since exit #9 is right next door, it doesn't really matter (why did they build it in the first place though? It opened in 2008 with the Fukutoshin line, but they could've just reformed exit #9 and saved money!)

Last edited by starrwulfe; November 19th, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #4253
quashlo

Keihan announces major renovation of Kuzuha Station
http://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/economy/ar...20121114000148

Quote:
 京阪電気鉄道は14日、樟葉駅(大阪府枚方市)の駅ビルをリニューアルする、と発表した。新棟を建設、既存ビルを改装し、2014年春に全面開業する。

駅前の大型商業施設「くずはモール」の増床工事に合わせた事業で、樟葉地区の利便性を高める。

駅ビルに隣接して3階建ての南館を新築し、10月にコンビニが先行開業した。13年3月末からは既存の駅ビルを改装し、14年春に営業を再開する。駅ナカ店舗もリニューアルする。総事業費は約19億円。
Official press release:
http://www.keihan.co.jp/info/upload/...%20Renewal.pdf

Render:

Old November 19th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #4254
quashlo

Kawasaki Heavy Industries to supply Tōkyō Monorail with Gigacell battery power system
http://www.khi.co.jp/news/detail/20121119_1.html

Quote:
川崎重工は、東京モノレール株式会社(以下「東京モノレール」)から世界で初めて非常時走行を目的とした鉄道システム用地上蓄電設備(Battery Power System、以下「BPS」)を受注しました。

今回受注したBPSは、当社が開発した大容量ニッケル水素電池「ギガセル」※40モジュールで構成される2並列のシステムで、2013年3月に品川変電所に設置されます。本件に引き続き、2013年度には多摩川変電所へ設置される予定で、この2変電所へのBPS設置により、停電等で電車が駅間に停車しても最寄り駅へスムーズに移動させることが可能になり、乗客を安全に退避させることができます。

東京モノレールでは、2011年3月に発生した東日本大震災を契機に、電力会社からの電力供給が止まって電車が駅間に停車した非常時の場合における、乗客の安全性確保の方策を検討してきました。当社は、回生電力を効率的に蓄電・貯蔵できるBPSを用いて、電車を最寄り駅に移動させる非常時走行を提案し、今回の受注に先駆けて東京モノレールと勝島変電所で2011年4月にBPSの実証試験を行い、BPSの非常時走行能力を確認しました。

BPSを構成するギガセルは、高速充放電が可能で負荷応答性能が高く、安全性に優れたニッケル水素電池です。チョッパ装置などの電力変換装置なしで架線と直結できるため、設備の低コスト化および小型化を実現しています。また、BPSはこのような制御装置を介さないことから制御遅れや変換損失がなく、高い省エネ効果が得られ、かつ信号設備に対する誘導障害の原因となる高調波を発生させないことを特長としております。

これまで、鉄道変電所に利用される蓄電設備には大容量のものはありませんでしたが、今回ギガセルが初めて蓄電池による電車の非常時走行を可能にしました。今後、東京モノレールで回生車両の導入が増加した場合は、既に他の鉄道事業者が利用しているBPSと同様に省エネルギー効果が見込まれます。

当社は、回生電力の有効利用による省エネルギー化や架線電圧の安定化を主な目的として、実証試験を含めて国内外の鉄道事業者に複数のBPSを納入した実績を有しています。今回の受注は、BPSの非常時走行能力と省エネルギー性が総合的に評価されたものです。BPSによる非常時走行は、大規模地震発生時の有効な対策として、モノレール会社や地下鉄事業者をはじめ多くの鉄道事業者から関心を寄せられています。

今後とも当社は、鉄道事業者の安全・安心、省エネルギーに貢献するためにBPSの営業活動を積極的に展開していきます。
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #4255
quashlo

New Andō-designed station building planned for Mikawa Tahara
http://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/ai...002000045.html

Quote:
 田原市と豊橋鉄道(豊橋市)は十九日、渥美線三河田原駅を移転して新築する駅舎の概要を発表した。設計は世界的に有名な建築家安藤忠雄さんの事務所。国の認可が下りれば二〇一三年春に着工し、同年十一月ごろ供用開始の予定。会見した鈴木克幸市長は「田原の顔、シンボルができる。観光の玄関口として機能してほしい」と期待した。

新駅舎の建設は駅前の道路改良工事に伴い、二〇〇五年から進む駅周辺の再開発計画の目玉事業。現駅舎から五十メートル西側に鉄筋二階建てを造り、広さは現在の倍近い四百平方メートルほど。

市によると、駅舎のほぼ半分を多目的スペースとして活用し、観光や産業などの情報発信のほか、市民の交流拠点として利用する。移転を含めた総工費は約十二億円を予定。デザインは市民へのアンケートをもとに和風、コンパクト、シンプルのイメージを、斬新な扇形の駅舎に反映させた。天井には太陽光発電パネルを設置する。

三河田原駅は、新豊橋駅から南西に伸びる全長十八キロの渥美線の終着駅。田原市中心部にあり、渥美地区に向かう路線バスに連絡するなど、市の表玄関の役割を担う。駅南側にはバスターミナルを兼ねたロータリーの建設も予定され、有料立体駐車場は一〇年に供用が開始されている。

Fun to see some of the tiny cities investing in their local station, and even splurging every once in a while on really nice designs.
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #4256
quashlo

New public passage and concourse to open at JR Kawasaki Station in March 2018
http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/ka...002000113.html

Quote:
 二〇一七年度の完成を目指しているJR川崎駅の北口自由通路について、川崎市は十九日、歩行者専用通路と新コンコースなどの整備工事を約九十四億円でJR東日本と随意契約する、と発表した。契約案を市議会十二月定例会に提案する。

新通路は幅十メートル、長さ約百十五メートルで、現在改札口のある東西自由通路から約九十メートル東京側に設ける。本年度中の着工を目指す。ラゾーナ川崎プラザと結ぶため、市が独自に通路西端に整備する「西側デッキ」を含め、遅くとも一八年四月の供用開始を目標にしている。

川崎駅の改札は現在、東西自由通路に面した一カ所にしかないが、新コンコースの南北両サイドに改札口を設けて計三カ所にする。従来の改札は「中央南改札」として改札機が九減の十四機になるが、「中央北」に八機、「北」に十機の新設し、現在より九機増える。

現在、東西自由通路は一日当たり約四十二万人が往来している。市まちづくり局は「東西を結ぶラインが増え、混雑が緩和されるほか、駅東西の利用者がそれぞれ反対側にも足を運ぶ回遊性も期待できる」としている。

This ¥19 billion project will implement major improvements to station design by adding a new concourse, new station exits, and a new public passage through the station. Currently, there is only one main public passage through the station (the East-West Public Passage) that carries about 420,000 people a day and only one station exit (Central South Gate), despite being one of JR East’s busiest stations. This project will construct a new North Exit public passage (115 m long, 10 m wide) and two new station exits—a new North Exit connecting to the North Exit public passage and a new exit connecting into the existing East-West Public Passage (the Central North Exit). The two exits will be connected by a new third-floor station concourse that will also feature two floors of ekinaka station retail.

Over the past few years, ridership at JR Kawasaki Station has been trending up and work was recently completed on various improvements to the station plaza at the station’s East Exit, which connects to the adjacent Keikyū Kawasaki Station. The 1.9 million sq. ft. Lazona Kawasaki mall opened at the station’s West Exit in 2006 on the site of Tōshiba’s former corporate HQ and Kawasaki offices, and Tōshiba is also planning a new office building (Smart Community Center) at the West Exit that could house up to 7,000 employees.

A walk through the East-West Public Passage, starting at the west and ending at the east end. The main plaza of Lazona at the west end is frequently used for TV shows and music performances.

I think I may have posted this before, but this is the surge of PM commuters at the existing 23-gate faregate array at the Central South Exit. The flow is sustained, and may actually be worse than some of the larger central Tōkyō terminals like Shibuya and Shinjuku, which have more exits. This project will consolidate this particular exit to 14 gates, but add a new 8-gate array at the new Central North Exit and a new 10-gate array at the new North Exit, which should help ease the load and better distribute the passengers.

Old November 20th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4257
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
New Andō-designed station building planned for Mikawa Tahara
http://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/ai...002000045.html

Fun to see some of the tiny cities investing in their local station, and even splurging every once in a while on really nice designs.
^
Nice indeed

Although I don't think this is the first for Tadao Ando (with regards to projects that involve rail transportation that is).

AFAIK I think he's doing some related work at the moment.......with Tokyu Corporation that is.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4258
quashlo

Andō has done a few station projects...

竜王駅 Ryūō station (Chūō Main Line, Yamanashi)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenlee2...th/6149002462/

上野毛駅 Kaminoge Station (Tōkyū Ōimachi Line, Tōkyō)
http://www.flickr.com/search/[email protected]&q=上野毛駅

渋谷駅 Shibuya Station (Tōkyō Metro Fukutoshin Line + Tōkyū Tōyoko Line, Tōkyō)
http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w...#39365;&m=text

熊本駅新幹線口 Kumamoto Station Shinkansen Exit (JR Kyūshū, Kumamoto)
http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w...#32218;&m=text
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:00 AM   #4259
quashlo

METI feasibility study for Manila monorail project to be finished early 2013
http://www.bworldonline.com/content....-2013&id=60772

Quote:
THE FEASIBILITY study for the proposed monorail connecting the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) and the Bonifacio Global City is expected to be finished early next year.

“The feasibility study is ongoing and we expect this to be finished by the first quarter of 2013,” said BCDA President Arnel Paciano D. Cassanova in a text message to reporters yesterday.

The project itself is targeted for a 2016 launching.

Results of the feasibility study will be submitted to the National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) Board. It should also be approved by the President.

Mr. Cassanova said the study, aimed at determining the mechanism and funding for the project, commenced in September.

Japan’s Ministry for Economy, Transportation and Industry gave a grant of “around $500,000” on Aug. 14, Mr. Cassanova said, to finance the feasibility study being conducted by two Japanese firms, Oriental Consultants and the Nomura Group. “If found feasible, our target is still 2016 for the project,” Mr. Cassanova added.

The 12.56-kilometer monorail will run from NAIA Terminal 3 to the Metro Rail Transit Line 3’s Guadalupe station via the Bonifacio Global City.

BCDA is the agency in charge of developing former military camps and bases in the country.

The agency said the monorail will help ease the commute to and from NAIA to the Bonifacio Global City as well as increase the number of people working in the latter area. -- E. N. J. David
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:03 AM   #4260
quashlo

Speaking of stations, the newly-renovated Tōbu Asakusa Station will open today (2012.11.21) with a new retail section (EKIMISE) in upper-floor space freed up by the Matsuya department store.

Tōkyō MX news report:

Really happy to see Tōbu doing well thanks to the Sky Tree… You can tell it’s definitely given them a new business outlook, especially with the general decline of tourism in their traditional markets in Nikkō / Kinugawa.