daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #4301
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Nishitetsu Bus to establish operating hub on Fukuoka’s Island City
http://www.asahi.com/area/fukuoka/ar...264100002.html

Quote:
 福岡市東区の人工島・アイランドシティに西鉄バスの運行拠点が設置されることになった。運行拠点ができることで、便数や時間帯などが改善されるという。

福岡市は、福岡市立こども病院が2014年11月に人工島で開院するのに合わせ、交通アクセス向上のため、人工島内にターミナル機能を持つバス営業所の開設を西日本鉄道に要望してきた。同社も同意したが、人工島内の住民数などから、同年までに営業所を開設するのは難しいとしていた。

このため、営業所よりは規模が小さいものの、複数のバスが停車でき、運転手が宿泊できる「運行拠点施設」を14年3月に開設することになった。同時期のダイヤ改定で、便数増やルート見直し、終バスや始発の時間帯改善などを予定しているという。
The master plan for Island City originally called for a rail extension to the manmade island, basically a branch line off of the Nishitetsu Kaizuka Line, but I think those plans have been shelved for the time being. The Fukuoka City Children’s Hospital is scheduled to open on the island in November 2014, and establishing a yard / hub on the island is intended to improve overall bus service in preparation for the opening.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #4302
quashlo

Ban’etsu West Line to get new station in Kōriyama
http://www.kahoku.co.jp/news/2012/11/20121127t65009.htm

Quote:
 JR東日本仙台支社は26日、福島県郡山市の磐越西線郡山-喜久田間(7.9キロ)に新駅を設置する方針を明らかにした。里見雅行支社長が定例記者会見で「市と正式な協議を始めた」と表明した。
 設置場所は、郡山市富田町の福島県農業試験場跡地(県有地)が有力。周辺には奥羽大や同大歯学部付属病院、高校などがあり、住宅建設や商業施設の進出が目覚ましく、人口が増加している。
 市がJRに設置を求めた「請願駅」で、市は1日約3000人の利用を見込む。6両編成の列車が停車できるホームを備えた駅を想定。施設の設置案には駅舎、広場、駐輪場を盛り込んだ。建設費は市が負担する。市は12月中にJRと基本設計の委託契約を締結する。
 里見支社長は「郡山-喜久田間は駅間が長い。多くの人が住んでおり、新駅を設置すればそれなりの利用があると判断した。詳細は決まっていない」と説明した。
 原正夫市長は26日の記者会見で「(設置場所の周辺は)教育や医療の施設があり、通勤・通学での利用が見込める」と新駅の意義を強調した。

This is a petition station between Kōriyama and Kikuta, currently a station-to-station distance of 7.9 km. The preferred location is the former Fukushima Prefecture Agricultural Laboratory site in Tomitachō, Kōriyama City. The surrounding areas are growing in population, and are home to Ōū University and its dental clinic, and high schools, and there is ongoing residential and retail development taking place. Daily ridership is forecasted at approx. 3,000 passengers a day, and the station will include a station building, plaza, and bike parking. Platforms will be designed for 6-car trains. As this is a petition station, the city is bearing the entire ¥23 million cost of the new station. As typical, design of the actual facilities has been contracted out to JR.

Cab view on the segment in question, taken from a 719 series rapid. The preferred site is around 3:30 in the video, just east of the Inner Loop overpass above the tracks.

I’m a little surprised, given that JR is generally not so accommodating for new stations in some of the smaller urban areas, but I suppose the distance on this segment is quite large while still being fairly urbanized. In fact, this is the first new station on the Ban’etsu West Line in Fukushima Prefecture since the opening of Onobori Station in Nishi-Aizu Town in 1955.
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #4303
quashlo

Google Maps now maps station interiors

An interesting development… You can see it now if you zoom over Shinjuku, Shibuya, or other stations in Tōkyō at around zoom level 17 or higher (I haven’t tested it out completely to see the exact scope of the effort). Station retail, restrooms, elevators / escalators / stairwells, storage lockers, ATMs, lost-and-found, information booths, even AEDs are shown.

Could be really handy given the size of stations and all the interconnected passages and buildings, but I’m curious how they plan to overcome the vertical aspect, if at all… There’s so many floors in the large terminals that it’s impossible to show it all in 2D. The 3D complexity of many stations is the reason that the standard station diagrams used in Japan opt for axonometric perspectives, so I don’t see how they can really relay all that information in just one 2D map layer.
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #4304
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Question on stations: what types of stations are there in Japan since I saw a "petition station" mentioned on the Ban'etsu West Line article? And who shoulders for building such kinds of stations that come along with each type?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #4305
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Google Maps now maps station interiors

An interesting development… You can see it now if you zoom over Shinjuku, Shibuya, or other stations in Tōkyō at around zoom level 17 or higher
We've had this on Google Maps on Android for about a year actually. They just finally brought parity to the web version I guess. Must have OpenGL turned on though I think.

All multi-level Tokyu, Tokyo Metro, Toei, JR, Seibu, Tobu and Keikyu stations are covered on the mobile version. Also with the mobile version, you can click on a floor label that appears when zoomed in that close. Shibuya station covers B5~11 floors when including Hikarie across the street (which will show a mall guide of that building as well.)

Last edited by starrwulfe; November 27th, 2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added video
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #4306
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I would like to test run that when I have time so that I could remember where to board my trains whenever I head back to Tokyo again.

And question: what is a best train service to use if I want to travel between Yokohama and Tokyo... For example:

- Shibuya
- Shinjuku
- Shinagawa
- Ueno
- Tōkyō

Old November 27th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #4307
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
And question: what is a best train service to use if I want to travel between Yokohama and Tokyo... For example:

- Shibuya
- Shinjuku
- Shinagawa
- Ueno
- Tōkyō
my choices from Yokohama Sta:
- Shibuya -Toyoko Line ltd. express
- Shinjuku- Shonan Shinjuku Line (from April 2013 Toyoko Line??)
- Shinagawa- Tokaido Line, 2nd choice Keikyu Kaitoku
- Ueno- Keikyu to Higashi Ginza, transfer to Metro Hibiya Line, but JR is likely faster (but I don't like the transfer at Tokyo Station)
- Tōkyō- Tokaido Line

I prefer Toei Asakusa Line/Keikyu from Central Tokyo/Shinagawa to Yokohama in the evening rush, it's a little less crowded than the JR services.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #4308
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Another question: since you brought up the Tōkaidō Line, is it possible for commuters to travel using the Shinkansen between Tōkyō and Shin-Yokohama only?

Old November 27th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #4309
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Another question: since you brought up the Tōkaidō Line, is it possible for commuters to travel using the Shinkansen between Tōkyō and Shin-Yokohama only?
Yup but the ticket price is around 1320 yen if I am not mistaken. Only takes 18 minutes compared to the 46 minutes taking the long route heading to Yokohama and then transferring to the Tokaido line but this route only costs you 540 yen.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #4310
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
As for the expansion of the Den'en Toshi Line / Hanzōmon Line Shibuya Station...
So let me get this straight...

Dogenzaka street and the famous Shibuya crossing...
3 levels of platform, concourse, and underground shopping mall...
Connected basements of every building at that intersection...

All under construction soon...

That's gonna be a big project if it gets done. Like at least 2 years.
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #4311
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
I would like to test run that when I have time so that I could remember where to board my trains whenever I head back to Tokyo again.

- Shibuya
- Shinjuku
- Shinagawa
- Ueno
- Tōkyō
I'm biased. I have a Toyoko line/Fukutoshin line/Tojo line commuter pass. So anything that puts me on those tracks (where I don't have to pay as much, if at all) I do.

(These are all from Hiyoshi, my part of Yokohama)
Shibuya, Shinjuku-- I always take Fukutoshin/Toyoko line. Its FREE for me.

Shinagawa... well from my part of Yokohama I take Meguro line to Meguro station, then Yamanote over to Shinagawa. But from Yokohama station-- Tokaido line is fastest followed by Keikyu Ltd Expresses I guess.

Ueno-- Toyoko line to Shibuya, Ginza line to Ueno. Or Toyoko line to Nakameguro and Hibiya line to Ueno.

Tokyo-- Meguro line turns into Mita line, get off at Otemachi station (about one block from Tokyo station's Marunouchi side and connected with a massive web of underground passages.

As you can see, you can get to most anywhere in Tokyo in 2 trains and 30 minutes from here. Most places in Kanto are like this--you always have a number of ways to get somewhere, so plan accordingly!
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #4312
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
So let me get this straight...

Dogenzaka street and the famous Shibuya crossing...
3 levels of platform, concourse, and underground shopping mall...
Connected basements of every building at that intersection...

All under construction soon...

That's gonna be a big project if it gets done. Like at least 2 years.
Sometimes I wonder if our civilization were to disappear and another civilization were to excavate Tokyo in the far future, I wonder what they will think about the massive caves underground stretching far beyond.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #4313
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

I have noticed over the last several months that many of you prefer to avoid JR in the Kanto area whenever possible (even when it's a bit faster than the shitetsu route.) Why is this? Is it because the JR trains are more crowded? The next question to ask is, how much more crowded, and why are they more crowded?
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4314
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue

Sometimes I wonder if our civilization were to disappear and another civilization were to excavate Tokyo in the far future, I wonder what they will think about the massive caves underground stretching far beyond.
I hope those underground malls that continue to be constructed will end up not compromising the complex web of utilities, fiber optics, and even the subways in service in Shibuya... those are very expensive projects, and I don't know if the land there will remain stable despite the never-ending evolution of the area. It's not me being pessimistic: it's just that the story of evolution continues, and I think going underground could bring greater news for businesses.

Old November 27th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #4315
quashlo

Quote:
Question on stations: what types of stations are there in Japan since I saw a "petition station" mentioned on the Ban'etsu West Line article? And who shoulders for building such kinds of stations that come along with each type?
A petition station (請願駅) just refers to a new station built at the request of a local government or private corporation, usually for cases where the costs are borne entirely or primarily by the entities making the request. There are other funding schemes, like the Act on Enhancement of Convenience of Urban Railways (都市鉄道等利便性増進法)—where the costs are split into equal thirds between the railway operator, the local government, and the national government—or similar funding agreements made between the operator and the local government (or other beneficiaries).
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #4316
quashlo

New east-west public passage opens at Tokorozawa Station
http://mainichi.jp/area/saitama/news...40282000c.html

Quote:
 西武鉄道が来春完成を目指し改修工事を進めている所沢駅(所沢市)駅舎の東西を結ぶ中央自由通路が27日に完成し、運用を開始する。飲食店などの駅ナカ商業施設「Ta・be・to・co(タベトコ)」7店も同時オープンする予定で、利便性がさらに高まりそうだ。

新たにオープンするのは、タリーズコーヒーやパン店「ドミニック・ジュラン」、ラーメン店「つけめんTETSU」、「日比谷花壇」のフラワーショップなど。これにより、同駅の商業施設「エミオ所沢」内に入るテナントは、6月オープンの店舗と合わせて計20店となる。

また、駅構内に子供専用の便器やベビーベッドを併設したキッズトイレを新設したほか、タベトコ屋上にテラスを設置した。今後、屋上緑化などを進め、来春すべての工事が終了する。【海老名富夫】
This is Seibu’s largest suburban station and the junction of its two main lines to Shinjuku and Ikebukuro, so good to see them investing money into it.

Walk through the passage:

Together with the passage, a new ekinaka station retail zone with seven stores (some inside, some outside the paid area) also opened:

The last remaining elements of the station work involve some roof greening, which should be completed in the spring.
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #4317
quashlo

Survey shows strong support for IC card implementation in Kumamoto
http://kumanichi.com/news/local/main/20121128009.shtml

Quote:
 熊本市は28日、バスや電車などの運賃支払いに使えるICカード乗車券に関するアンケートをまとめた。導入を希望する人が約75%に上り、うち約80%は利用エリアや公共交通機関の拡大を求めている。市交通政策総室は「市民ニーズに応えるには、全国他社でも使えるカードが望ましい」との見方を示している。

調査は、9月22日と10月6日の2日間、熊本市内のイベント会場で実施。来場者552人(うち熊本市民443人)が答えた。

熊本都市圏のバス・市電で使える現行の磁気式共通プリペイドカード「TO熊カード」の代わりに「ICカードを導入してほしい」と答えたのは75・2%で、利用経験者に限ると89・3%に上った。「TO熊カードで十分」は11・8%、「どちらでもない」は13・0%。

利用範囲は、「全国主要都市の交通機関」が33・7%と最も多く、「県内すべての交通機関」23・1%、「九州の交通機関」22・2%と続いた。「TO熊カードと同じ範囲」は20・0%だった。

JR九州の「SUGOCA(スゴカ)」やJR東日本の「Suica(スイカ)」など既存ICカードへの対応については、92・0%が「県内でも利用可能にすべきだ」と答えた。

熊本市は2014年度中のICカード導入を目指しており、県内バス事業者と協議を進めている。ただ、全国他社でも使える「相互利用型」か、県内事業者限定の「地域型」かで意見が分かれている。市はアンケート結果も参考に検討を続ける。(田川里美)
Obviously, this comes on the heels of the upcoming expansion of SUGOCA to Kumamoto-area JR lines. Kumamoto is perhaps the last major metropolitan area on Kyūshū to not have a local, non-JR IC card, as Kita-Kyūshū (Himawari Bus Card), Ōita (Mejiron Nimoca), Miyazaki (Miyakō Busca), Kagoshima (Rapica + Iwasaki IC Card), and Nagasaki (Nagasaki Smart Card) all have their own systems.
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #4318
quashlo

Construction work for Echitetsu – Fukutetsu interlining to begin in FY2013
http://www.fukuishimbun.co.jp/localn...ics/38272.html

Quote:
 福井県は28日、えちぜん鉄道三国芦原線と福井鉄道福武線の相互乗り入れに必要な工事を2013年度に着工し、15年度に乗り入れを開始する方針を示した。

西川知事が県議会での提案理由説明で発表した。相互乗り入れ計画は両線が接続している田原町駅を経由し、えち鉄が福鉄の越前武生駅(越前市)まで、福鉄がえち鉄の鷲塚針原駅(福井市)まで走行して乗客の利便性向上を図る。

乗り入れには田原町駅で線路や踏切などの工事を行い、えち鉄の福大前西福井、日華化学、八ツ島、新田塚、鷲塚針原の各駅に低床ホームを整備する。えち鉄は低床車両2編成を新たに導入する。

県は国庫補助を除いた事業費を19億2千万円と見込み、近く福井市と費用負担の協議に入る。
Good news for the Fukui area, where two local private railways will now be joined together to allow for interlining. Passengers can already transfer between the two railways at Tawaramachi, but this will physically connect the tracks to allow for through-services. Echitetsu trains will continue all the way to the terminus of the Fukutetsu Fukubu Line at Echizen Takefu while Fukutetsu trains will continue to Washizuka–Haribara on the Echitetsu Mikuni–Awara Line. Low-floor platforms will be constructed at Fukudai-mae–Nishi-Fukui, Nikka Kagaku-mae, Yatsushima, Nittazuka, and Washizuka–Haribara on the Echitetsu network and Echitetsu will be purchasing two low-floor trains to allow the interlining to happen. Through-services are scheduled to begin in FY2014.

This news actually represents a slight change to the plans, as the original plan called for Fukutetsu trains to through-service an additional three stations and 3.6 km to Nishi-Nagata. The latest decision reduces the scope of the project, bringing the project costs down from ¥2.3-2.4 billion to ¥1.92 billion and reducing annual operating costs for both operators from ¥41.0 million to ¥33.4 million.

A short tour of the Fukutetsu and Echitetsu systems:

Old November 29th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #4319
quashlo

Kasaoka City planning for new bus terminal after Ikasa Railway bankruptcy
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201211290029.html

Quote:
 井笠鉄道(笠岡市)の経営破綻に伴う代替運行が実施されている笠岡市で、市が美の浜地区に新しいバスターミナル整備を検討し、地元と調整に入っていることが28日、分かった。候補地は、市が所有する美の浜仮設グラウンド。計画では、営業所やバスの駐車場などを整備する。代替運行の終わる来春完成を目標としている。

計画によると、候補地は美の浜仮設グラウンド(約2万5330平方メートル)の中で、西側の市道沿い約9千平方メートル。営業所や待合所、バス駐車場、車庫、洗車場、給油施設などを整備する。市は住民合意を前提に、地域での説明会を今月2度開催。合意が得られれば、来年1月の工事開始も視野に入れる。

市は同3月末まで中国バス(福山市)に委託して代替運行を実施し、バスの駐車場などは同市茂平の井笠鉄道笠岡自動車営業所を借りている。4月以降の運行形態を見据える中で、同営業所買収か別な場所での施設確保かを検討。同営業所がJR笠岡駅から約6キロ離れているのに対し、美の浜が約2・5キロと近く、燃料代や乗客見込み数などを判断して、候補地を絞った。

新しいバスターミナルの候補地となっている美の浜仮設グラウンド

Some news out in the boondocks…

The local public transit provider in Kasaoka, Ikasa Railway, has filed for bankruptcy and will be abandoning its bus operations, so the city hopes to take over and operate the services. As part of that, they are planning to construct a new bus terminal and maintenance yard approximately 2.5 km southeast of JR Kasaoka Station. Apparently, they decided not to use the Ikasa Railway’s existing bus facility because the deadhead distance is too long and the site is too large. A slow end for this small, local private railway… It had already completely abandoned its railway lines in 1971, and has been entirely focused on providing bus services. There are a lot of “railway” companies in smaller cities in Japan that survive in name only, when in reality they operate only bus services now.
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #4320
quashlo

Plaza canopy construction begins at Kintetsu Nara
http://www.ac.auone-net.jp/~nara-koe/news265.html

Quote:
 奈良市の近鉄奈良駅前行基広場で28日、ガラスの大屋根を設置する奈良県の工事が始まった。県は本年度中の完成を目指す。屋根は、奈良の玄関口広場の雨を防ぎ、観光客らの利便性向上を図る狙いだが、設置に反対してきた市民らは、遮るもののない広場から見上げる空こそ観光客へのもてなしになる、などと訴えていた。工事期間中、広場は閉鎖される。
 県の計画によると、大屋根は鉄骨造り、高さ11メートルで、広さ約560平方メートルの広場のほぼ全体を覆う。先月17日、設置工事の一般競争入札の開札が行われ、中村建設・大倭殖産特定建設工事共同企業体が約1億7310万円で落札した。事業全体では、ほかに現場の工事監理業務委託の約257万円、広場地下の関西電力管理の管路移設補償の約660万円、基本設計・実施設計の約1081万円があり、費用は合わせると約1億9308万円になる。
 県の大屋根計画が明らかになったのは2010年7月。市民らが計画を知る機会のないまま、県が実施設計の入札を行おうとしたことに反発が起きた。県はいったん入札を中止し、パブリックコメント、アンケート、識者や地元関係者からの意見聴取を実施。この結果からおおむね賛成を得られたとし、あらためて計画を進めてきた。
行基広場ができたのは1970年。市街地を車と併走していた奈良線と奈良駅舎が地下化されたことに伴い、地上に駅ビルが建設され、これに付随して設けられた。当初の駅ビル計画に駅前広場はなく、地下鉄のように駅を出ると道路という構造になる予定だったが、当時の鍵田忠三郎・奈良市長が反対、計画を変更させた。地下駅を出たらまず青空を望める広場で古都の風情を、との心配りからだった。敷地は近鉄の所有だが、市が駅前広場として管理、行基像の噴水も設置した。 
Should be nice when complete… This is one of the de facto gateways to Nara, and it’s quite a bit closer to all the historical sites than the JR station. Kintetsu renovated the station building several years ago with lots of glass, so this is the next step, really. Currently, the plaza is a nice little meeting area that connects the station, the path to Nara Park, and the retail arcade next to the station, and this canopy should come in handy when it rains.

A short walking tour of Nara (2012.01.09) starting at the station, visiting Nara Park, and then coming back. The start and end have brief of the small plaza outside the station.

With the ongoing grade-separation and improvements at JR Nara Station, Nara is really starting to look quite nice, actually… In comparison, here is the walk from the JR station to the park along Sanjō-dōri: