daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #4381
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Nationwide IC card interoperability

A few more details on current circulation / coverage of the various card systems now that JR East and others have released their official press releases:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2012/20121213.pdf

Code:
                  Accepting

Stations   Buses   Stores
           ========  ======  =======
Kitaca          55             6,900
PASMO        1,212   14,800   19,200
Suica          811      532  119,600
manaca         379    1,618    5,600
TOICA          149             7,400
PiTaPa         860    1,300   
ICOCA          430            22,700
Hayakaken       35               250
nimoca          72    3,200    3,700
SUGOCA         272            13,400
=========  ========  ======  =======
TOTAL        4,275   21,450  198,750
A total of 56 railway operators and 96 bus operators will be part of the nationwide system when it first rolls out.

The other interesting thing to note is the growing competition between transport and non-transport IC cards… The transport IC cards have become a fairly large force in the overall e-money market in Japan, with the top three transport IC cards (Suica, PASMO, and ICOCA) having a combined circulation of about 67 million cards (39 million, 21 million, and 7 million, respectively), putting them head-to-head against the dominant e-money system in Japan, Rakuten Edy (about 73 million cards). Suica alone has larger circulation than Aeon’s WAON and 7-11’s Nanaco cards.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #4382
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Ginza Line stations in line for major facelifts
I guess it's impossible to extend the platform lengths? Ginza line trains really need to be at least 8 cars long I think.

And a question I had always had: Was it ever proposed that Ginza line trains would run through service onto the Keio Inokashira line? The way the Ginza line terminus station in Shibuya is set up makes me think this idea was considered.
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #4383
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau.ukiyo View Post
I guess it's impossible to extend the platform lengths? Ginza line trains really need to be at least 8 cars long I think.

And a question I had always had: Was it ever proposed that Ginza line trains would run through service onto the Keio Inokashira line? The way the Ginza line terminus station in Shibuya is set up makes me think this idea was considered.
I don't think it is possible with the third rail system and the different loading gauge the Ginza line and the Keio Inogashira line uses.

I would rather see the Ginza line be completely remade if it was ever possible.

If you look closely at the tunnels you'll actually see some bricks that was possibly the ones originally laid at the beginning of the last century.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #4384
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

There are technical challenges, but they could probably all be solved with money. Inokashira line is a better match for Ginza line than you might think.

The challenges are:
(1) 1067mm->1435mm conversion
(2) Overhead -> 3rd rail electrification (and the problems this causes with grade crossings.)
(3) Physical track connection at Shibuya. The lines don't match up vertically. The Inokashira line is on the 2nd floor of the Shibuya Mark City complex while the Ginza line is on the 3rd floor. Building a connection could conceivably require complete demolition of the east tower.

The reasons this makes sense are:
(1) Inokashira line doesnt' connect to anything as it is, so there's no compatibility to be lost in a conversion from 1067mm to 1435mm
(2) Inokashira line is the odd one out on the Keio network already since the rest of Keio is 1372mm - this helps them to standardize
(3) Frequency is a close match - both run 30tph peak
(4) Train/platform length is a close match - Ginza: 96m; Inokashira: 100m so no major station reconstruction
(5) By using Ginza line rolling stock, you don't have any clearance issues on the Inokashira line- Ginza line trains have a smaller loading gauge.
(6) The Inokashira line rolling stock is Japanese standard 1067mm 1500v with a standard loading gauge, so it should be relatively easy to sell. (JR West in the Hiroshima area could sure use some trains like this to replace their 40 year old clunkers, for example.)

Last edited by orulz; December 19th, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #4385
quashlo

Ōsaka Prefecture to propose LRT system and Sakurajima Line extension to Kinki Transport Council
http://www.kentsu.co.jp/webnews/html...218700044.html

Quote:
大阪府は、LRT構想、JR桜島線延伸などを内容とする鉄軌道ネットワークの拡充に向けて、2013年度にルート選定、需要予測、概算事業費、採算性検討などを行う計画だ。14年度に事業者決定、都市計画決定など。
The rest of the article is members only, but it does sound interesting…

As part of a proposal to get several rail expansion projects approved and on the project list maintained by the Kinki Transport Council, Ōsaka Prefecture will select route alignments and estimate ridership, project cost, and profitability for the proposed LRT system and Sakurajima Line extension in FY2013. Project lead agencies will be selected in FY2014, and then, if all goes well, the projects could receive planning-level approvals.
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #4386
quashlo

Kintetsu proposes converting Utsube / Hachiōji Lines to BRT

Kintetsu’s press release is here:
http://www.kintetsu.co.jp/all_info/n...13utuhachi.pdf

They mentioned this a while ago, but I believe this is the first time they’ve actually publicized it to a wider audience. These are two super narrow-gauge (762 mm) lines running with “mini-tram” cars in suburban Nagoya. Apparently, the two lines are operating at an annual deficit of about ₯300 million, even though the situation has improved dramatically from the ₯500 million annual operating deficit of the 1980s and 90s. Annual ridership is only 3.63 million, about half of the historical high of 7.22 million in 1970. Without funding from local governments, Kintetsu wants to convert the two lines to BRT, cutting operating costs in half while allowing them to increase the number of stops, increase frequency, and implement other improvements like modern, accessible rolling stock that would be more difficult with the existing narrow-gauge rail system.

I may have to catch a ride on these on my next trip to Japan before it’s too late…

Recent cab views on the Utsube Line (2012.08.26):

Kintetsu Yokkaichi → Utsube

Utsube → Kintetsu Yokkaichi:

Old December 19th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #4387
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11244

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Ginza Line stations in line for major facelifts
http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20121217D1712N05.htm

Renders from the official Tōkyō Metro press release:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2012/p...zasenconpe.pdf

I would really love to see those facelifts soon! And will those be done at all stations along the line?

I hope that all stations will get similar upgrades, with the major stations getting the most amount of renovations.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #4388
quashlo

Ryūto to begin accepting Suica in March 2013
http://www.niigata-nippo.co.jp/news/...218017605.html

Quote:
 新潟交通(新潟市中央区)は18日、JR東日本のICカード乗車券「Suica(スイカ)」などで運賃を支払えるサービスを来年3月23日から開始すると発表した。1枚のカードで鉄道とバスが利用できるようになる。県外から訪れる観光客やビジネス客の利便性を高め、バス利用者の増加を目指す。

IC乗車券は事前にチャージ(入金)することで、乗車時に現金を持たなくても精算できる。スイカは新潟交通のIC乗車券「りゅーと」に対応した新潟市内の路線バスや、観光循環バスで利用できる。一方、「りゅーと」は高速バスやJRでの利用はできない。

スイカは現在、新潟市近郊を中心に県内58駅で利用できる。新潟交通と新潟市は、同市が導入を計画しているBRT(バス高速輸送システム)でも利用できるようにする考え。

来年3月23日からは、スイカや首都圏私鉄などのPASMO(パスモ)、JR西日本のICOCA(イコカ)など10種類のIC乗車券の相互利用が始まる。これらの乗車券も「りゅーと」対応バスで利用できるようになる。

JR東日本や新潟市と共同で記者会見した新潟交通の広川隆夫常務は「県外から訪れた人や、普段はスイカで鉄道を利用する市民も気軽にバスに乗ってほしい」とPRした。

スイカの導入は、県内のバス事業者では初めて。「りゅーと」導入費も含めた総事業費は約14億円。タクシー3社が既に実施し、佐渡汽船でも来春の導入を予定している。
This is Niigata Kōtsū’s IC card, primarily for bus services. The system was introduced in April 2011 at the cost of approx. ₯1.4 billion. Three Niigata taxi companies already accept the card, and the system will be expanded next spring to ferry services operated by Sado Kisen to and from Sado Island. The system is also being considered for use on the proposed BRT line in Niigata between Niigata Station and Hakusan Station, to be operated by Niigata Kōtsū. Current circulation is about 45,000 cards.

In contrast, JR East’s Suica was introduced in Niigata City in 2006, and is currently in use at 58 JR East train stations in Niigata Prefecture concentrated in and around Niigata City, but come 2013.03.23, will also be accepted on about 50 bus lines operated by Niigata Kōtsū, including all of their bus lines in Niigata City proper, airport express coaches, and tourist circulator buses. Excluded are highway express buses. JR East’s Niigata Branch has issued about 185,000 Suica cards.

This will be a one-way interoperability, as Suica will be accepted in place of Ryūto in Niigata, but Ryūto will not be accepted in place of Suica, even in the Niigata area. However, any of the other nine major cards across Japan that are part of the nationwide interoperability program will also be accepted in place of Ryūto, which is probably really good news for tourists and other visitors coming from any of the larger metro areas.
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #4389
quashlo

Shizuoka Railway to accept nationwide cards in March 2013
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...2020002-n1.htm

Quote:
 JR東日本などが18日、同社運営の「Suica(スイカ)」など全国10種類のICカード乗車券の全国相互利用開始を発表したことを受け、静岡鉄道も全国のICカード乗車券を来年3月23日から利用できるようにすると発表した。

これまでは同社発行の「LuLuCa(ルルカ)」や関西地区の私鉄など運営の「PiTaPa(ピタパ)」、JR西日本の「ICOCA(イコカ)」の3種類だけだった。同社では、利用できるICカードの拡充で利用者の利便性を図るとともに、利用者の増加を見込んでいる。

県内では静鉄のほか、箱根登山バスや伊豆箱根鉄道など東部の事業者の運営するバスや鉄道でも全国相互利用に対応するが、西部の遠州鉄道では「地元から要望の声が高まれば対応を検討する」としている。
More related news on the IC card front. Like Ryūto, Shizuoka Railway will begin accepting any of the 10 major nationwide cards on 2013.03.23. Currently, they have their own IC card system (LuLuCa), but also accept passengers carrying PiTaPa and ICOCA cards. Currently, the interoperability with PiTaPa and ICOCA is only one-way, so I suspect the same with the other cards to be added in March.

The other bit of news from this article has to do with Enshū Railway in Hamamatsu, which currently hasn’t implemented an IC card system like Shizuoka Railway has. Apparently, their stance is to wait for the time being… If there is vocal support for an IC card system locally, they’ll consider it.
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #4390
quashlo

Shimizu Ward establishes committee to study LRT proposal
Chūnichi Shimbun

Quote:
 静岡市清水区で次世代型路面電車(LRT)の導入を検討する協議会が十三日、設立された。市清水庁舎で初会合があり、導入の必要性や課題の検討を始めた。(天田優里)

協議会は、清水区自治会連合会や静岡鉄道の約二十人で構成。会長には静岡文化芸術大学大学院の川口宗敏教授が就いた。

初会合では市の担当者が、既存の鉄道などに加え、LRTの導入で静岡、清水両地区がより細かにつながり、両地区の結びつきが強まる利点を紹介。静岡地区の中心部への観光客らが、清水区の観光名所へ行きやすくなると説明した。続いてLRTの駅付近の駐車場確保など交通整備に向けた問題点を議論した。

清水区のLRT路線案は、静岡鉄道新清水駅を中間点とし、清水マリンパークなど観光名所が集まる日の出地区とJR清水駅の間の約二キロを結ぶ。協議会は二〇一三年秋までに計5回の会合を開き、導入の課題対応策を取りまとめる。

LRTは低床式車両を使うため乗り降りが簡単で、二酸化炭素排出量を抑えられる利点がある。市は高齢化社会や環境問題を踏まえ、導入を検討している。一三年には静岡地区にも同様の協議会ができる予定。
The Shizuoka area will also get a similar committee next year… Hopefully we’ll see something come out of this. Shizuoka and Shimizu have an interesting dynamic, sort of like twin cities.
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #4391
quashlo

SMART orders additional train from Nippon Sharyō
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...CLES/121219492

Quote:
Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit officials Wednesday approved spending $6.6 million on an additional two-car train, improving service and raising the possibility of extending service to Airport Boulevard near Windsor.

With the extra cars, SMART officials said they will have enough trains to run passenger trains at 30-minute intervals to the Guerneville Road station in Santa Rosa, a station that will serve the most riders.

It also makes it possible to extend service farther north, to Airport Boulevard, if efforts to get more funds for track work are successful.

…

SMART needed to submit its order for the additional cars this month to Nippon Sharyo USA to ensure they will be constructed alongside the initial order. Otherwise, the agency could face a higher price and see delivery delayed until 2018.

SMART has a contract to build six two-car trains at a total cost of $40 million, with a delivery date for the prototype in October or November.

Kevin Koyasu, chief executive officer and president of Nippon Sharyo USA, said Wednesday it takes time to get the raw materials and components for the cars.

“They want those two cars together with the existing order,” Koyasu said. “In that sense, we need the order as soon as possible. There are many, many long-lead items for those cars.”

A prototype two-car train is now being built at the company's plant near Tokyo. Once completed, it will be tested, disassembled and shipped to the company's new production facility in Rochelle, Ill., for reassembly.
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #4392
quashlo

New pedestrian bridge opens at JR Hakata Station
http://www.nishinippon.co.jp/nnp/item/339980

Quote:
 JR博多駅周辺の回遊性を高めるため、福岡市が整備していた博多バスターミナル2階(博多区)と博多新三井ビル前を結ぶ歩行者連絡橋(約68メートル)が20日、供用を開始した。連絡橋は、博多駅ビルと同ターミナル2階を結ぶ「空中回廊」を延伸し、交通量の多い「空港通り」をまたぐ。駅のにぎわいを周辺に広げるとともに、歩行者の安全性確保などが期待される。

駅と同ターミナルを結ぶ歩行者用デッキ(約35メートル)は、昨年3月に完成。延伸された連絡橋は、同9月に着工。当初は今年春に供用開始する予定だったが、古い水道管など地下埋設物の撤去や移設に手間取り、完成がずれこんでいた。

連絡橋は幅約3メートル、高さ約5メートル。同新三井ビル側にエスカレーター、同ターミナル側にエレベーターを設置。先に供用された歩行者デッキと合わせ、総事業費は約10億円。

連絡橋の完成により、バスターミナルや博多駅から同新三井ビル側へ、空港通りを横断せずに行き来できる。歩行者が安全に通行できるほか、駅周辺の歴史ある寺社や集客施設などへの回遊性向上が見込まれる。市は「寺社町などに行く利便性が高まることで、新たなにぎわいが生まれることを期待する」としている。

同駅周辺をよく訪れるという南区高宮の高田佐智子さん(71)は「(下の横断歩道は)信号待ちがとても長かった。時間が短縮できて、これから便利になりますね」と話した。

開通した博多駅歩行者連絡橋。JR博多駅へ横断歩道を渡らずに行けるようになった
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #4393
quashlo

Sōtetsu considers flexible commuter pass structure after Sōtetsu–JR Link opens
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...1520009-n1.htm

Quote:
 相模鉄道が平成27年に開始予定のJR東日本との相互乗り入れに向けて、羽沢駅(建設中、横浜市神奈川区)経由と横浜駅(西区)経由の2通りの路線で使える定期券の発売を検討している。相互乗り入れで都心直通が実現する一方、横浜駅の乗降客減は避けられない見通しで、同駅周辺の地盤沈下を回避するためにも、新定期の発売で集客アップにつなげたい考えだ。(川上朝栄)

相鉄・JR直通線では相鉄西谷駅(保土ケ谷区)からJR東海道貨物線横浜羽沢駅付近まで約2・7キロの新線を建設中。27年に「羽沢駅」も完成して開通予定だ。横浜市西部や県央部の利用客は、都心に向かう際に横浜駅で乗り換えることなく、直通線を利用するとみられ、横浜駅乗降客の減少が現実味を増している。

ただ、直通線は朝夕のラッシュ時間帯でも1時間に4本程度で輸送力も限られ、乗降客の減少は「(1日当たり)約45万人のうちの数万人程度」(同社)との見通しを示す。しかし、それ以上に懸念されるのが都心部の商業施設に買い物客を奪われることによる横浜駅周辺の地盤沈下だ。

そこで相鉄は「行きは都心直通、帰りは横浜駅乗りかえでいったん降りてショッピング」というコンセプトの新たな定期券の発売を検討。価格は通常の定期より高めに設定するとみられるが、「需要はある」と見込む。帰宅時に横浜駅に立ち寄る機会を増やし、買い物客を囲い込む戦略だ。

相模鉄道が平成27年に開始予定のJR東日本との相互乗り入れに向けて、羽沢駅(建設中、横浜市神奈川区)経由と横浜駅(西区)経由の2通りの路線で使える定期券の発売を検討している。相互乗り入れで都心直通が実現する一方、横浜駅の乗降客減は避けられない見通しで、同駅周辺の地盤沈下を回避するためにも、新定期の発売で集客アップにつなげたい考えだ。(川上朝栄)

相鉄・JR直通線では相鉄西谷駅(保土ケ谷区)からJR東海道貨物線横浜羽沢駅付近まで約2・7キロの新線を建設中。27年に「羽沢駅」も完成して開通予定だ。横浜市西部や県央部の利用客は、都心に向かう際に横浜駅で乗り換えることなく、直通線を利用するとみられ、横浜駅乗降客の減少が現実味を増している。

ただ、直通線は朝夕のラッシュ時間帯でも1時間に4本程度で輸送力も限られ、乗降客の減少は「(1日当たり)約45万人のうちの数万人程度」(同社)との見通しを示す。しかし、それ以上に懸念されるのが都心部の商業施設に買い物客を奪われることによる横浜駅周辺の地盤沈下だ。

そこで相鉄は「行きは都心直通、帰りは横浜駅乗りかえでいったん降りてショッピング」というコンセプトの新たな定期券の発売を検討。価格は通常の定期より高めに設定するとみられるが、「需要はある」と見込む。帰宅時に横浜駅に立ち寄る機会を増やし、買い物客を囲い込む戦略だ。

Basically, Sōtetsu regulars with the new flexible commuter pass would have the ability to use either route to reach central Tōkyō after the opening of the Sōtetsu–JR Link: either taking the existing route on Sōtetsu trains to Yokohama Station and transferring there to JR, or taking through-service trains via the Sōtetsu–JR Link and the new Hazawa Station.

The impetus behind the move is that Sōtetsu is worried about the possibility of a huge drop in ridership at Yokohama Station once the new rail connection opens, which will eliminate the need to transfer at Yokohama Station. The more direct connection to central Tōkyō may also siphon shoppers away from Yokohama and to Shibuya and Shinjuku instead.

Currently, about 450,000 passengers use Sōtetsu Yokohama Station daily, and while service on the Sōtetsu–JR Link is only expected to max out at 4 pth during the peak, the railway still expects its ridership figures at Yokohama Station to drop by several tens of thousands of passengers. As Sōtetsu has a lot of assets at Yokohama Station, including a hotel, office buildings, and several retail complexes, it’s obviously in their best interest to maintain a stable flow of passengers (and potential customers) through Yokohama Station.
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:54 AM   #4394
mkill

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau.ukiyo View Post
It would be pretty awesome because that's my commute... However, it's probably not going to happen. Ginza-Line is not really prepared for through-services. They'd pretty much have to close the line and rebuild it from zero... If we see through-services on Ginza Line, it will be with the Keikyu / Keisei / Asakusa-Line network, as the gauge is the same, and they share some history.

That said, a Skyliner from Narita that takes the Ginza line route from Asakusa to Shibuya would be awesome.

What would be cool (but very unlikely) for Inokashira Line would be an extension over JR Shibuya and above the highway along Roppongi dori to Roppongi.
mkill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:27 PM   #4395
orulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkill View Post
It would be pretty awesome because that's my commute... However, it's probably not going to happen. Ginza-Line is not really prepared for through-services. They'd pretty much have to close the line and rebuild it from zero... If we see through-services on Ginza Line, it will be with the Keikyu / Keisei / Asakusa-Line network, as the gauge is the same, and they share some history.

That said, a Skyliner from Narita that takes the Ginza line route from Asakusa to Shibuya would be awesome.

What would be cool (but very unlikely) for Inokashira Line would be an extension over JR Shibuya and above the highway along Roppongi dori to Roppongi.
It becomes less impossible if you think in reverse.

Rather than rebuilding the Ginza Line to match the Inokashira Line, which would be too difficult due to tunnel clearances, loading gauge, and curve radius of the Ginza line, instead rebuild the Inokashira line to match the Ginza line, and run standard gauge, third rail, Ginza line trains over the Inokashira line instead.

The problem of track gauge and conversion to 3rd rail are all easily solvable.

The biggest problem I see is the connection at Shibuya through the Mark City complex, since the Ginza line is on the 3rd floor, and the Inokashira line is on the 2nd. If it can be done without demolishing one or both of the Mark City towers, which are not very old, I would say it's possible.
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4396
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

I'm not really sure that you really have to build it with 3:rd rail, just raise pantographs and retract the 3:rd rail shoe when the train goes from the Ginza line on to the Inokashira Line.
Sure that would require new rolling-stock, but it's still possible to do that.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:05 PM   #4397
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11244

A follow-up question: how many cars per train are operated on the Inokashira Line? Tokyo Metro's Ginza Line operates 6-car trains, and if it is longer than that, then a growing issue could be the platform lengths too since longer trains will need longer boarding areas, something the Ginza Line may not accommodate.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:48 PM   #4398
orulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
A follow-up question: how many cars per train are operated on the Inokashira Line? Tokyo Metro's Ginza Line operates 6-car trains, and if it is longer than that, then a growing issue could be the platform lengths too since longer trains will need longer boarding areas, something the Ginza Line may not accommodate.
I believe most Inokashira line trains are 5 cars. However, Inokashira line cars are longer than Ginza line cars.

Ginza line: 6 cars * 16 m = 96m trains
Inokashira line: 5 cars * 20m = 100m trains

With a difference of just 4m, and with the Ginza trains being shorter anyway, probably no platform reconstruction would be needed at all. Not sure about platform heights, but if anything the Ginza line would be lower, so they'd just have to come up with some way to raise the tracks a bit which shouldn't be too difficult.

The Ginza line trains are however about a foot narrower than the trains on the Inokashira line (2550mm vs 2864mm -> 314mm difference) which is good in that you won't have clearance issues but bad in that the trains would have slightly less space. Maybe most riders would put up with the increased crowding for the added convenience.

Regarding a retractable pantograph, that might work, but I think the clearances are so tight in the tunnels that there's no room even for a retracted pantograph without some sort of creative design. Not to mention that the voltages are different anyway (Ginza: 600v, Inokashira: 1500v) so the Inokashira line electrical system would need to be replaced anyway.

But at any rate, my general theses is that, since the Inokashira line is almost 100% on the surface, while the Ginza line is almost 100% buried through some of the most expensive neighborhoods in Tokyo, any changes that need to be made should be done on the Inokashira line side since it will probably be much, much simpler to do construction above ground than underground.

Last edited by orulz; December 21st, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4399
quashlo

I don't think they'd want to put third rail on the Inokashira Line, especially since it's a very "open" line with a lot of grade crossings and hemmed in on both sides by dense housing. Rolling stock with dual current collection methods seems more realistic, but there are some cost and engineering issues in the tunnels, as you mention.

If they do decide to bring the narrower Ginza Line trains onto the Inokashira Line, there could potentially be problems at some of the existing Inokashira Line stations (I'm thinking Higashi-Matsubara and potentially Shin-Daita) due to platform curvature. Nothing that a simple gap filler system couldn't fix, but just another hurdle to overcome.

It's unfortunate they didn't plan for compatibility when they first built the Ginza Line, but I can't say I really blame them... It was the first subway in Japan (and East Asia, for that matter), and nobody would have had any inkling of what the future had in store for Shibuya and Tōkyō.
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4400
quashlo

Hiroshima City narrows Hiroden realignment alternatives to elevated or underground options
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201212210014.html

Quote:
 広島市は20日、広島電鉄(中区)が構想する路面電車の新路線「駅前大橋線」について、JR広島駅南口(南区)へ乗り入れる構造を高架か地下の2案から選ぶ方針を明らかにした。交通渋滞の懸念から平面案は見送る。駅前大橋線に接続する比治山線も新たな見直しルート案を示した。市は本年度中に、路面電車の乗り入れ構造を含めた広島駅南口広場再整備の基本方針を決める方針でいる。

市議会都市活力向上対策特別委員会で市が報告した。駅前大橋線は駅前通りを北進し、広島駅南口に乗り入れる。市は乗り入れ方式を、高架(概算事業費70~100億円)▽地下(250~300億円)▽平面(30億円)―の3案で検討した。

このうち平面案について市は「駅前交差点で渋滞が起きる恐れがある」として検討対象から外すと説明。高架と地下の両案の事業費をあらためて試算するとした。

駅前大橋線の乗り入れ方式は、広島駅南口広場再整備の焦点の一つ。1月以降、有識者でつくる市の検討委員会が、高架か地下の2案のどちらかに絞り込む予定でいる。

Probably for the better that they dropped the surface option… Hiroden is pushing for the underground option, but I suspect they will eventually go with the elevated option, which is cheaper and would tie in nicely with JR Hiroshima Station, which has zairaisen tracks at surface level and is currently being redesigned with an elevated station concourse and platform bridge that would eliminate any superfluous vertical movements when transferring between JR and an elevated Hiroden station. They will also realign the Hijiyama Line to connect with the Hiroden Main Line further south.