daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2012, 11:14 PM   #4401
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

JR West recommends elevated option for Hiroden realignment
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...21C12A2LC0000/

Quote:
 西日本旅客鉄道(JR西日本)広島支社の杉木孝行支社長は21日の記者会見で、広島電鉄が計画するJR広島駅直結の新線について高架方式が採用された場合、「駅ビル『アッセ』を建て替えることも必要になるかもしれない」との考えを明らかにした。乗り入れ方式については地下式も候補となっているが、利便性の観点から「高架式が望ましい」との従来の見解を改めて強調した。

広電の新線計画は広電の広島駅をJR側に寄せる計画だ。杉木支社長は高架式が採用され、広島電鉄が現在の駅ビルの2階や3階を通過することになっても「新幹線に直結する自由通路などとの段差がありいい形にならない」と指摘。駅ビルを建て替え構造を変更することが必要との見方を示した。

ただ、広島市が高架と地下から乗り入れ方式を絞り込む作業を進めていることから、「現時点では建て替えを決定しているわけではない」と話した。広島電鉄は地下式による乗り入れを希望している。
JR West re-emphasized their preference for the elevated option, citing the improved transfers between JR zairasen / Shinkansen and Hiroden trains. They also are hoping to replace Asse, their station tenant building, which was built in 1965 and underwent seismic reinforcement in 1999. Work on the elevated station concourse and platform bridge broke ground this summer, and will be completed in FY2017, eventually housing restaurants, stores, and other facilities. Big changes in store for Hiroshima…
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4402
quashlo

New Shinjō Tanaka Station on Toyama Chihō Railroad opens
http://www2.knb.ne.jp/news/20121221_34936.htm#

Quote:
 富山地方鉄道本線稲荷町駅と東新庄駅の間に、21日新たに新庄田中駅が開業しました。

富山地方鉄道でおよそ10年ぶりの新駅となる新庄田中駅は、富山市田中町に新設され、21日午前5時24分発の上市駅行きの始発電車から開業しました。

新庄田中駅は、近くに住宅街や工場が多くあることから通勤や通学などの利用者が見込めるとして設置が進められてきました。

富山地方鉄道は新駅の開業にあわせて21日から全線のダイヤ改正を行い、利便性を高めたい考えです。
Article has a short video report.
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:16 PM   #4403
quashlo

This Nikkei article has an interesting axonometric diagram of Shibuya Station produced by Tamura Keisuke, an associate professor at Shōwa Women’s University near Sangenjaya…
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...11C12A2000000/

It’s not to scale, but this is perhaps the only one I’ve seen that attempts to combine all the operators—JR, Tōkyō Metro, Tōkyū, and Keiō—on a single graphic. The red box defines the ground level of the station.

Not as colorful or as detailed as the large Shinjuku one, but interesting nonetheless.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:56 AM   #4404
quashlo

JR East announces March 2013 service changes

Official press release:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2012/20121215.pdf

Major changes:

Daytime service improvements to Chūō Main Line
Travel times will be reduced on daytime Chūō special rapid and Ōme special rapid services, with the fastest Chūō special rapid services making the Shinjuku – Hachiōji run in as little as 33 minutes (shaving off three minutes). In addition, JR East will also convert some of existing midday rapid services into special rapid services, improving connectivity between Shinjuku and western Tōkyō.

Weekday midday (tph):
Current: 4 special rapid + 10 rapid
Post-change: 5 special rapid + 9 rapid

Weekend midday (tph):
Current: 4 special rapid + 10 rapid
Post-change: 6 special rapid + 8 rapid

Shōnan-Shinjuku Line trains will begin stopping at Urawa Station
Didn’t realize this was happening this year… Somehow I thought it was a bit further into the future. Anyways, come 2013.03.16, all 134 Shōnan-Shinjuku Line trips will begin stopping at Urawa Station, which is good news for Urawa locals who have thus far had to transfer at Akabane or other stations to get to Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, and Shibuya. Utsunomiya Line and Takasaki Line trains stop at Urawa Station, but the Shōnan-Shinjuku Line operates on the Tōhoku Freight Line tracks, which do not currently have platforms at Urawa Station.

In addition, all JR / Tōbu through-service limited expresses connecting Shinjuku and the Nikkō / Kinugawa area (Nikkō, Kinugawa, Spacia Kinugawa, etc.) will also stop at Urawa. Two new trips (one southbound Takasaki → Kōzu trip in the morning rush hour and one northbound Kōzu → Kagohara trip in the evening rush hour:

Southbound:
06:10 Takasaki (dep)
07:43 Urawa (dep)
08:11 Shinjuku (arr)
09:32 Kōzu (arr)

Northbound:
17:54 Kōzu (dep)
19:13 Shinjuku (dep)
19:37 Urawa (arr)
20:36 Kagohara (arr)

Takasaki Line E233-3000 series (D02+L02) racing a Shōnan-Shinjuku Line E231 series (U113+U591) between Akabane and Urawa (2012.12.02). These races may be a little more interesting now that the Shōnan-Shinjuku Line doesn’t have the advantage of getting to skip Urawa. Can see the new platform under construction at the very end.

Tōkyō Mega Loop service improvements
Biggest change here is that midday (10:00–17:00) frequency on the Musashino Line will finally improve from every 12 minutes to every 10 minutes, which should be good news. A lot of the suburban growth in Tōkyō is being focused on areas along the Musashino Line, so it’s about time it got a major service improvement. One additional morning Musashino Line train will also be extended from Nishi-Funabashi to Tōkyō as a through-service on the Keiyō Line.

On the Yokohama Line and Negishi Line, an additional three weekday roundtrips during the morning and evening rush hours will be operated as through-services.

Last edited by quashlo; December 22nd, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM   #4405
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
On the Yokohama Line and Negishi Line, an additional three weekday roundtrips during the morning and evening rush hours will be operated as through-services.
Welcome development. Anything to lessen the requirement to transfer at Higashi Kanagawa Station.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:25 AM   #4406
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Question for the Chuo Line Special Rapid service improvement: will that mean there will be more trains operating between Tōkyō Station and Ōtsuki in Yamanashi Prefecture, or will those trains end in Takao Station?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:32 PM   #4407
hakubi

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Question for the Chuo Line Special Rapid service improvement: will that mean there will be more trains operating between Tōkyō Station and Ōtsuki in Yamanashi Prefecture, or will those trains end in Takao Station?
I think those will all end at Takao. This is on page 5 of the pdf, they're talking about daytime services. On the current schedule, special rapids during the day end at Takao, the last one starting from Tokyo at 4:27 PM. At 4:50 is the first commuter rapid, going all the way to Otsuki.
hakubi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:15 PM   #4408
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakubi View Post

I think those will all end at Takao. This is on page 5 of the pdf, they're talking about daytime services. On the current schedule, special rapids during the day end at Takao, the last one starting from Tokyo at 4:27 PM. At 4:50 is the first commuter rapid, going all the way to Otsuki.
Ah OK. I thought I saw on a YouTube video a Special Rapid service train leaving Tokyo around 1:15pm heading west to Otsuki...? When do Chuo Rapid trains actually operate all the way to Otsuki to begin with?

Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:36 AM   #4409
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
I don't think they'd want to put third rail on the Inokashira Line, especially since it's a very "open" line with a lot of grade crossings and hemmed in on both sides by dense housing. Rolling stock with dual current collection methods seems more realistic, but there are some cost and engineering issues in the tunnels, as you mention.

If they do decide to bring the narrower Ginza Line trains onto the Inokashira Line, there could potentially be problems at some of the existing Inokashira Line stations (I'm thinking Higashi-Matsubara and potentially Shin-Daita) due to platform curvature. Nothing that a simple gap filler system couldn't fix, but just another hurdle to overcome.

It's unfortunate they didn't plan for compatibility when they first built the Ginza Line, but I can't say I really blame them... It was the first subway in Japan (and East Asia, for that matter), and nobody would have had any inkling of what the future had in store for Shibuya and Tōkyō.
Of course this is all fanboy conjecture but there are precedents for third rail lines running on the surface through quite dense residential neighborhoods elsewhere in the world, if maybe not in Japan. Look at the outer ends of the Chicago CTA brown, yellow, and pink lines. I believe third rail grade crossings are all over the place in the UK.

Not sure why gaps due to curvature would be a problem, the shorter cars of the Ginza line should hug the edge of a curved platform better, not worse. (perhaps I've overlooked something, though.)

The time to do this would have been 1994, when the Mark City complex began construction. I do wonder if it was considered, and if so why it was not implemented.

Last edited by orulz; December 23rd, 2012 at 12:51 AM.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:31 AM   #4410
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Of course this is all fanboy conjecture but there are precedents for third rail lines running on the surface through quite dense residential neighborhoods elsewhere in the world, if maybe not in Japan. Look at the outer ends of the Chicago CTA brown, yellow, and pink lines. I believe third rail grade crossings are all over the place in the UK.

Not sure why gaps due to curvature would be a problem, the shorter cars of the Ginza line should hug the edge of a curved platform better, not worse. (perhaps I've overlooked something, though.)

The time to do this would have been 1994, when the Mark City complex began construction. I do wonder if it was considered, and if so why it was not implemented.
I doubt it.
The Inokashira line Shibuya station is a terminus and most people disembark at the end. Trying to extend the line to connect to Ginza line would not only clog the flow of the people but also the traffic below connecting the bus terminal to the routes northwest. It will take the combined effort of not only Keio and Tokyo Metro but also cooperation from Tokyu and in some part JR since they are the landowners that they need to cut through to gain right of way to connect the two lines.
If they are going to do it will be when they reconstruct the present Shibuya station scheduled in the following years ahead but I won't hold my breath.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:37 AM   #4411
mkill

Likes (Received): 15

I don't have have statistics but it would be interesting to know what the percentage of passengers switching from Inokashira to Ginza Line is. Both lines are packed arriving at / leaving from Shibuya, but I don't think it's more than 10-15%.

Ginza Line gets a lot of passengers from JR/Tokyu, Hanzomon (at Omotesando) and Marunouchi Line (at Aoyama Itchome).

For Inokashira Line, my impression is that most head for Yamanote towards Shinagawa or Shibuya itself.
mkill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:24 AM   #4412
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkill View Post
I don't have have statistics but it would be interesting to know what the percentage of passengers switching from Inokashira to Ginza Line is. Both lines are packed arriving at / leaving from Shibuya, but I don't think it's more than 10-15%.

Ginza Line gets a lot of passengers from JR/Tokyu, Hanzomon (at Omotesando) and Marunouchi Line (at Aoyama Itchome).

For Inokashira Line, my impression is that most head for Yamanote towards Shinagawa or Shibuya itself.
I don't think there are many that would transfer from the Inokashira line to the Ginza line since majority that rides the Inokashira transfers from the Odakyu line at Shimokitazawa. If those people wanted to ride the Ginza line they will simply ride to the next stop Yoyogi Uehara and transfer to the Chiyoda line then transfer at Omotesando which is cheaper and more convenient.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:31 AM   #4413
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That makes sense indeed, especially that Omotesando is served by three Tokyo Metro lines (Hanzōmon, Ginza, and Chiyoda). I think now that interlining the Ginza and Inokashira lines may require a lot of work, especially at Shibuya Station: transferring between trains is not a big issue, especially when train services are plentiful during the peak periods, true?

Old December 24th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #4414
quashlo

New JR Shimonoseki Station station building to break ground in January 2013
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2012/12/05/012/

Quote:
JR西日本グループはこのほど、山口県下関市の新しい玄関口となる「JR下関駅ビル」の着工を発表した。2013年1月に着工し、開業予定時期は2014年3月となる。

山陽本線・山陰本線と九州方面の列車の乗換駅となっている下関駅は、長年にわたり三角屋根の駅舎で親しまれたが、2006年1月に発生した放火事件で旧駅舎は焼失した。

現在、駅周辺の既存施設(シーモール下関、商店街グリーンモールなど)と連携し、回遊性を高めてにぎわいを創出すべく、社会資本総合整備計画「下関駅にぎわいプロジェクト」が進められている。この一環で、「JR下関駅ビル」も整備されることになった。

駅ビルは鉄骨造の地上3階建てで、建築面積は約2,850平方メートル、延べ面積は約8,020平方メートル。旧駅舎の三角屋根をシンボルに取り入れたデザインとなる。施工者はジェイアール西日本不動産開発。物販・飲食店舗による商業施設だけでなく、次世代育成支援拠点施設としても活用されるという。

「下関駅にぎわいプロジェクト」では駅ビルのほかに東口・西口の駅前広場整備や、東口の人工地盤から西口駅前広場までの自由通路の整備などを行う予定。「高架下にぎわい空間」「鉄道駅移動円滑化事業」も民間事業として計画されている。

「JR下関駅ビル」建設イメージ(JR西日本提供)

三角屋根が特徴だった下関駅の旧駅舎
The original triangular-roofed station building (built 1942) was destroyed by arson in January 2006, but work will finally begin on a modern, three-story, 8,020 gross sq m replacement to open in March 2014. The new station building is one part of an effort to reactivate the area around the station together with adjacent retail facilities (Seamall Shimonoseki, etc.), the other parts being improvements to the East Ext and West Exit station plazas, construction of a new public passage connecting the East Exit pedestrian deck and West Exit station plaza. The area looked when I visited here the little depressing last time I was in Japan, so hopefully this will bring a little more activity to the area.
Old December 24th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #4415
quashlo

Articulated buses coming to Shinki Bus routes in Sanda City
http://mytown.asahi.com/hyogo/news.p...00001212220010

Quote:
二つの車体をつないだ連節バスが来年4月から三田市内で運行される。神姫バス(本社・姫路市)が21日、三田市の三田営業所に納車されたバスを報道陣に公開した。市内4路線に導入する考えで、25日から試運転をする。

神姫バスによると、連節バスは神奈川県や岐阜県などで使用されているが、近畿6府県では初めてという。導入するのは、メルセデス・ベンツ社製(ドイツ)で、全長約18メートル、幅約2・6メートル。前後部車両は蛇腹でつながり、従来の大型路線バスの定員約70人を約50人上回る116人(運転手含む)が乗れる。

色は神姫バスの路線バスに似たオレンジ色。ワンマンカーで、同社は173人の運転手から22人を選抜している。同社は2台購入しており、本体価格は計1億2千万円。うち国が約4千万円、市が約1千万円を補助する。

扉は前部車両の運転席近くと中央部、後部車両には中央部にあり、各中央部の扉から乗車し、運転席側の扉から降車する。同社は「安心安全で愛される公共交通機関を目指す」と話している。

導入予定の4路線は、新三田駅からテクノパーク(テクノ南バス停)、関西学院大神戸三田キャンパス、ウッディタウン(ゆりのき台4丁目)の各方面へ向かう3路線と、JR三田駅から同キャンパス行きの1路線。

新三田駅~同キャンパス行きは直行で、他の3路線は4~10カ所の停留所で乗り降りできるようにする。

連節バスの導入については今年4月、市や国土交通省、警察などで組織する市地域公共交通確保維持改善協議会で朝夕のラッシュ時の混雑解消が検討され、輸送力を見込んで決まった。(伊藤武)

三田市内の路線バスとして利用される連節バス=三田市の神姫バス三田営業所
Shinki Bus (HQ: Himeji City) purchased two Mercedes Benz artics (17.11 m long, 116 pax capacity) at the cost of ₯120 million, of which the national government covered approx. ₯40 million and the municipal government approx. ₯10 million. These will be the Kinki region’s first articulated buses.

The buses will be operated on a total of four routes in Sanda City starting in April of next year:

Shin-Sanda Station – Technopark
Shin-Sanda Station – Kwansei Gakuin University Kōbe Sanda Campus (nonstop service)
Shin-Sanda Station – Woody Town
JR Sanda Station – Kwansei Gakuin University Kōbe Sanda Campus

For the bus fans, a pretty well-done fan PV of Shinki Bus:

Old December 24th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #4416
quashlo

JR West announces service changes to Kansai Urban Network service

Official press release:
http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl...page_3055.html

Biggest change is the continued conversion of shin-kaisoku (special rapid) services from eight-car formations to 12-car formations, focusing on the morning and evening commute periods. Only a handful of remaining shin-kaisoku will still be operated as eight-car formations. In addition, two new shin-kaisoku evening rush hour departures from Ōsaka Station will be added, bound for Himeji. This extends the period of 7-8 minute headways on JR Kōbe Line shin-kaisoku another 30 minutes at the start. An additional inbound morning shin-kaisoku run between Ōsaka and Kyōto will be extended onto the JR Kōbe Line to begin at Himeji. The resulting shin-kaisoku at Ōsaka Station will look like this:

For Takatsuki / Kyōto

06 33
07 03 22 36 45 54
08 05 15 21 28 42 48 59
09 05 16 30 45
10 00 15 30 45
~~~~~
17 00 15 30 45
18 00 15 22 30 37 45 52
19 00 15 30 45
20 00 15 30 45
21 00 15 30 45
22 00 20 40
23 00 20 40
24 00 25

Ōsaka Station, for Sannomiya / Himeji

06 52
07 17 46 56
08 05 12 21 30 38 48
09 04 15 30 45
10 00 15 30 45
~~~~~
17 00 15 30 45 52
18 00 07 15 22 30 37 45 52
19 00 07 15 30 45
20 00 15 30 45
21 00 15 30 45
22 00 20 40
23 00 20 40
24 00 25

15 = 8-car formation
15 = Already 12-car formation
15 = Will be converted from eight-car to 12-car formation
15 = New trip to be added
Old December 24th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #4417
quashlo

New platforms enter service at Shin-Ōsaka Station

This was quick, but the new zairaisen Platforms 17 and 18 at Shin-Ōsaka Station opened on 2012.12.16… The platforms are currently being used by limited express services (Kōnotori, Thunderbird, etc.). As mentioned in previous posts, this is all in preparation for the extension of the Ōsaka Higashi Line to Shin-Ōsaka Station in FY2018. With this recent change, there are now 5 island platforms and 10 tracks at JR West’s Shin-Ōsaka Station (although one of them is currently out of service). This new platform will take over the functions of the previous Platforms 17 and 18, allowing them to do some renovation / refresh work on that set of platforms in the meantime, gradually working their way down.

A comprehensive video tour, including a nice shot of a Twilight Express sleeper:

The track switchout, late evening of 2012.12.15 and early morning of 2012.12.16:

In related news, construction work on the Ōsaka Higashi Line extension at Shigino (2012.12.01), the future interchange with the Katamachi Line (Gakken Toshi Line). Some interesting work, where they are quadruple-tracking the Hanaten – Shigino section by building a second viaduct adjacent to the existing one used by the Katamachi Line. When complete, the Gakken Toshi Line will be shifted to the new tracks and the Ōsaka Higashi Line will get the old tracks. Completion is scheduled for spring 2014. The first part of the video also has some pictures of the Shin-Ōsaka work.

Old December 24th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #4418
quashlo

Changes in store for Urawa Station
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...21C12A2L72000/

Quote:

東日本旅客鉄道(JR東日本)はダイヤ改正する2013年3月16日から浦和駅に湘南新宿ラインを停車させる。新宿、横浜方面へのアクセスが改善し、横浜駅まで日中時間帯であれば約55分で結ぶ。さらに暫定開通していた駅の東西自由通路が本格的に開通するなど利便性が高まる。新宿、横浜から人の流入が期待できるほか、駅で分断されがちだった人の流れがより活性化しそうだ。

朝と夕の通勤時間帯にそれぞれ1本ずつ、湘南新宿ラインを増発することも決めた。浦和駅には増発分を含め、上下全134本の列車が停車する。宇都宮線の西側部分にある東北貨物線に旅客ホームを新設し、湘南新宿ライン用として使う。

湘南新宿ラインの走る東北貨物線は貨物列車専用として設けられたため、浦和駅にはホームが設置されていなかった。これまで浦和から新宿方面に行くには赤羽駅で、埼京線や湘南新宿ラインに乗り換える必要があった。

横浜方面に行く場合は上野や東京駅で乗り換えが必要だ。京浜東北線であれば乗り換えは不要だが、より時間がかかり不便だった。

湘南新宿ラインの停車や駅の東西自由通路の本格開通は地域の活性化につながりそうだ。西口駅前に伊勢丹浦和店を構える三越伊勢丹ホールディングスは「(客足が増えることを)非常に期待している。自由通路が3月に完成することもあり、周辺の商業施設全体が歓迎ムードだ」と話す。

浦和駅は住宅地として県内で人気がもともと高く、さらに好影響を与えそうだ。宇都宮線の東京駅乗り入れも決まっており、不動産鑑定士の斎藤雅一氏は「従来にも増して需要が上向くだろう。景気の不安要因はあるが、当面は浦和の住宅需要は堅調が続く」とみる。

JR東は来春以降、高架化を完成させた線路の下に大型商業施設の「アトレ」を設けたり、西口に駅ビルを新たに建設したりする方針だ。利用者の利便性向上が期待される一方で、駅を含めた周辺地域の商業施設全体を活性化させる工夫も必要になりそうだ。
A little more context on the upcoming changes at Urawa Station in March of next year… In addition to the new platforms on the Shōnan-Shinjuku Line, the permanent east-west public passage through the station will open, which should help unite the two sides of the station. These changes, along with the fast-approaching opening of the Tōhoku Through Line, which will bring Utsunomiya Line and Takasaki Line trains straight into Tōkyō Station, are generating buzz around the station. Urawa is apparently the most popular residential area in Saitama, and it’s likely this trend will be reinforced with these changes.

Makes me wonder if they will ever do anything with Kawaguchi Station… The second highest ridership of any station in Saitama Prefecture, but only one line stopping there (Keihin-Tōhoku Line), taking the full brunt of over 150,000 daily entries and exits, with no intercity / limited express service.
Old December 24th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #4419
quashlo

Tōkyō Metropolitan Government to begin major repair works on lifeline structures
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...01C12A2L71000/

Quote:
 東京都は地下鉄トンネル、道路橋、下水道の耐用年数を延ばす工事を始める。老朽化したインフラが相次いで更新時期を迎えるなか、新たに建設し直すには莫大な費用がかかるためだ。大規模な修繕工事によって都市基盤を「長寿命化」する。

都は来年から都営浅草線のトンネル修繕工事を本格的に始める。1960年に押上駅―浅草橋駅が開業し、68年に西馬込駅までの全線が開通した浅草線のトンネルは、都営地下鉄4路線の中で最も傷んでいる。

開通から50年前後がたち、都は「大規模な修繕工事によって、さらに50年ほど耐用年数を延ばす」(交通局)。腐食した鉄筋を取り換えたり、ひび割れたコンクリートに接着剤を流し込んだりしてトンネルを補強する。

浅草線の修繕工事費は総額で20億円規模に上るが、都は「新たにトンネルを掘れば、1キロメートルあたり数百億円は要する。新設に比べれば費用は大幅に抑えられる」(交通局)と説明する。

作業時間は終電から始発までの時間に限られるため、1年間で1駅区間しか工事が進まない。浅草線の工事完了は15年後となる。同様の工事を始める三田線の完工は20年後の見通しだ。

終電から始発までの短い時間に作業をしている(都営浅草線のトンネル内)

This work targets subway tunnels, bridges, and sewage systems, but the focus of the article is on the Asakusa Line tunnels, which opened in 1960 and are the oldest (and most in need of care) tunnels on the Toei Subway network, approaching the standard “50-year” life cycle. The aim is to increase the life of the of the tunnels by another 50 years by replacing rusted rebar, sealing cracks in the concrete with grout, and performing other reinforcement work. The Asakusa Line work will cost a total fo approx. ₯2 billion, a bargain in comparison to complete replacement at the cost of several tens of billions of yen per km.

Like with most railway repair and maintenance work, the Asakusa Line work is being conducted outside the revenue service window, limiting work to only a few hours a day. As a result, progress is slow (one station-to-station distance a year), with the Asakusa Line works taking approximately 15 years and the Mita Line works taking 20 years.
Old December 24th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #4420
quashlo

A few weeks ago (2012.12.09) marked the anniversary of the abandonment of the Toden network in the Ginza area in 1967. I rarely post historical content, so here’s some old videos of Tōkyō’s once vast network of trams (41 routes, 213 km at its height):

A short documentary from 1966… Apparently daily ridership on the system at this time was 1.2 million. There used to be “discount” runs in the early morning. Some interesting scenes at Shibuya, with cars stacked up to carry all the passengers transferring from Tōkyū and Keiō, and of the growing traffic congestion that eventually contributed to the downfall of the system:

Last day of the Toden Ginza Line. Line 1 appears to have been the main route through Ginza, connecting Ueno and Shinagawa via Sudachō, Nihonbashi, Ginza, and Mita.