daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #4441
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Sōtetsu kicks off redevelopment plans at Futamatagawa Station
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...2A221C1L82000/

Quote:
 相鉄線二俣川駅(横浜市)の再開発事業が動き出す。相鉄ホールディングス(HD)子会社の相鉄アーバンクリエイツや地権者で構成する再開発組合が28日、神奈川県から設立認可を取得した。353億円を投じて、マンションや商業施設が入る複合施設を建設する。2015年以降にJRなどとの相互直通運転が始まるのを踏まえ、相鉄線の沿線価値の向上を急ぐ。

二俣川駅南口地区市街地再開発組合が14年4月に工事に着手し、18年3月までに完成させる。敷地面積は1万7400平方メートルで、延べ床面積は11万平方メートル。380戸の分譲マンションからなる29階建ての住宅棟と、商業施設や公共施設などが入居するオフィス棟で構成する。

総事業費は353億円で、約85億円を国や自治体の補助金でまかなう。駅施設のバリアフリー化なども進める考えだ。「食品スーパーを誘致するなど、地域住民が使いやすい施設にしたい」(相鉄アーバン)という。

相模鉄道は15年に東日本旅客鉄道(JR東日本)と、19年に東京急行電鉄とそれぞれ相互直通運転させる計画を立てている。神奈川県内から都内へのアクセスが良くなる一方で、都内の商業施設との競争が激化する可能性があり、相鉄HDは沿線価値向上に向けた再開発を急いでいる。
With the opening of the Sōtetsu–JR Link and Sōtetsu–Tōkyū Link coming in 2015 and 2019, respectively, Sōtetsu is pushing ahead with redevelopment plans for Futamatagawa Station, the junction of the Sōtetsu Main Line and Izumino Line in western Yokohama. The development program is a ₯35.3 billion mixed-use project including a 29-story, 380-unit condo tower and an office tower consisting of commercial space and public facilities, with potential tenants including supermarkets or other neighborhood-oriented retail. Lot size is 17,400 sq m and gross floor area will be 110,000 sq m. The project also includes barrier-free improvements to station facilities.

The redevelopment union, comprising Sōtetsu Holdings subsidiary Sōtetsu Urban Creates and the stakeholder property owners, will break ground on the project in April 2014, with completion scheduled for March 2018. Of the total project cost, about ₯8.5 billion will be financed using funding from the national government and local jurisdictions.

Project render:

Standard suburban station redevelopment, but good to see Sōtetsu taking advantage of a new business opportunity. Will be interesting to see how they balance their two markets (Yokohama and Tōkyō) once the through-service begins. I wonder if there will be renewed interest in development along the Izumino Line, where demand has dropped off below original estimates... There’s still a lot of development potential at Yumegaoka and the adjacent Shimo-Iida Station on the Yokohama Municipal Subway Blue Line, which are basically in the middle of farms at the moment.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #4442
quashlo

Groundbreaking for Narita Station East Exit redevelopment
http://www.kensetsunews.com/?p=4764

Quote:
 千葉県成田市が施行するJR成田駅東口第二種市街地再開発事業のうち、A街区に建設する再開発施設A棟の安全祈願祭が27日、市内の埴生(はぶ)神社で開かれた。建設業務代行者としてスターツ・五洋建設建設業務代行共同企業体(代表企業・スターツデベロップメント)が参画しており、アール・アイ・エーの設計・監理、五洋建設の施工で2014年9月末の完成を目指す。
 A棟は、SRC造地下1階地上15階建て延べ約1万8700㎡の再開発施設と、S造地下1階地上5階建て延べ約7000㎡の自走式駐車場の2棟を建設する。再開発施設には、店舗、300席の多目的ホールなどの市の公益施設、70戸の分譲マンションを設ける。
 また、S造地下1階地上6階建て延べ4930㎡のB棟の建設工事は、京成建設・国井建設JVの施工で13年内に着工し、14年7月末の完成を予定。B棟の設計もアール・アイ・エーが担当した。
 施行区域は成田市花崎町の一部約1.4ha。駅前広場は、14年度内に再整備する。
Another redevelopment project at a suburban station. This is the first building of the project, comprising, 70 condo units, retail space, a 300-seat multi-purpose hall, and other public facilities. Narita is similar to Kamata, Kawasaki, and some other major stations with competing rail operators in that the stations are not precisely co-located, usually placed about 100 to 200 m apart for various historical reasons. In addition to the actual building, this project also includes improvements to the East Exit of JR Narita Station, including redesign of the station plaza. Hopefully this redevelopment project will establish more cohesiveness between the Keisei and JR stations, similar to the redevelopment at Tsurumi that opened recently.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #4443
quashlo

New JR East CM (2012.11.25 release) on station nursery schools:

Old December 29th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #4444
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Sōtetsu kicks off redevelopment plans at Futamatagawa Station
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...2A221C1L82000/

With the opening of the Sōtetsu–JR Link and Sōtetsu–Tōkyū Link coming in 2015 and 2019, respectively, Sōtetsu is pushing ahead with redevelopment plans for Futamatagawa Station, the junction of the Sōtetsu Main Line and Izumino Line in western Yokohama. The development program is a ₯35.3 billion mixed-use project including a 29-story, 380-unit condo tower and an office tower consisting of commercial space and public facilities, with potential tenants including supermarkets or other neighborhood-oriented retail. Lot size is 17,400 sq m and gross floor area will be 110,000 sq m. The project also includes barrier-free improvements to station facilities.

The redevelopment union, comprising Sōtetsu Holdings subsidiary Sōtetsu Urban Creates and the stakeholder property owners, will break ground on the project in April 2014, with completion scheduled for March 2018. Of the total project cost, about ₯8.5 billion will be financed using funding from the national government and local jurisdictions.

Project render:

Standard suburban station redevelopment, but good to see Sōtetsu taking advantage of a new business opportunity. Will be interesting to see how they balance their two markets (Yokohama and Tōkyō) once the through-service begins. I wonder if there will be renewed interest in development along the Izumino Line, where demand has dropped off below original estimates... There’s still a lot of development potential at Yumegaoka and the adjacent Shimo-Iida Station on the Yokohama Municipal Subway Blue Line, which are basically in the middle of farms at the moment.
That project rendering looks strikingly similar to a TOD project here in the US, in a larger scale. I would not be surprised if all spaces on the new tower will be occupied nearly immediately with offices and residents; however, I wonder how much a square foot would that translate to once the building is finished because it is located right next to the train station... Will it be very high because of its proximity?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:27 AM   #4445
quashlo

It's still suburban Yokohama, so I don't think it'd be that expensive, although you can always expect to pay a premium for proximity to the station. The phrase “xx minutes walking distance from yy station” is basic information that goes into any real estate ad in Japan.

The project is definitely interesting, as there currently is not much high-rise housing in the immediate vicinity of the station, just mostly mid- and lowrise housing. The only “high-rise” housing, if you can even call it that, is the housing on top of Alcot Futamatagawa, the redevelopment project at the North Exit of the station. Once the Sōtetsu‒JR Link and Sōtetsu‒Tōkyū Link open, many of central Tōkyō's key districts will be a one-seat ride away, so I expect there would be high demand for the residential. In general, high-rise living is popular, and there are endless examples at suburban stations in Japan.

Unlike the residential, the office space is a bit surprising... There are several large, modern commercial complexes already at the station, including Alcot Futamatagawa, but they are primarily retail in nature and primarily cater to the local neighborhood. This kind of office tower development is new to the area, but it may be that they see the potential once the Sōtetsu‒Tōkyū Link opens, which will put many of the outer stations on the Sōtetsu network, including Nishiya and Futamatagawa, a short 10-15 minute one-seat ride from Shin-Yokohama.

This project is a bit of a forerunner, and, potentially, a catalyst... We may hear about a few more projects at Futamatagawa or other stations along the Sōtetsu network in the coming years as we approach the opening of the Sōtetsu‒Tōkyū Link.
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:51 AM   #4446
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I wonder if such projects can be replicated in the US, and instead of saying it is only 30 minutes from San Francisco, it would be it's only 5 minutes from the nearest bus stop. I don't know what the priorities are here in the US that suggest that people still need to drive to get to work, and I find the latest project near Yokohama to be a great example of how train station planning should evolve into in the US, if it ever wants to cuts down greenhouse gas emissions.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:13 AM   #4447
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I wonder if such projects can be replicated in the US, and instead of saying it is only 30 minutes from San Francisco, it would be it's only 5 minutes from the nearest bus stop. I don't know what the priorities are here in the US that suggest that people still need to drive to get to work, and I find the latest project near Yokohama to be a great example of how train station planning should evolve into in the US, if it ever wants to cuts down greenhouse gas emissions.
Possible but it will probably take sometime to catch on. I bet it would be more interesting if it took off in Texas and/or Los Angeles where they have vast parking lots all over the place.

Instead of advertising the convenient distance it is to the nearest parking lot they can advertise the convenience of walking distance to their home (with X minute transit time on a train that is always on time).
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:19 AM   #4448
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
That project rendering looks strikingly similar to a TOD project here in the US, in a larger scale. I would not be surprised if all spaces on the new tower will be occupied nearly immediately with offices and residents; however, I wonder how much a square foot would that translate to once the building is finished because it is located right next to the train station... Will it be very high because of its proximity?
For a 70~80 sqM 4 bedroom flat the cost will be somewhere around 40~60 million yen taking into account the cost of a similar project in Musashi Kosugi. The one built in Sagami Oono was somewhere around 40 million as well. The ones that was built right in the center of Tokyo standing next to the Sumida river went around 80~150 million yen.
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:19 AM   #4449
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
Possible but it will probably take sometime to catch on. I bet it would be more interesting if it took off in Texas and/or Los Angeles where they have vast parking lots all over the place.

Instead of advertising the convenient distance it is to the nearest parking lot they can advertise the convenience of walking distance to their home (with X minute transit time on a train that is always on time).
True. It'll be interesting to see it first in Los Angeles and Dallas where too many drivers crowd the freeways, and it requires both cities to invest in better rail and subway networks to make such things happen. However, to build a station (even a subway portal) would mean extensive EIRs, not to mention lots of NIMBY-minded people and self-serving politicians.

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:24 AM   #4450
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
True. It'll be interesting to see it first in Los Angeles and Dallas where too many drivers crowd the freeways, and it requires both cities to invest in better rail and subway networks to make such things happen. However, to build a station (even a subway portal) would mean extensive EIRs, not to mention lots of NIMBY-minded people and self-serving politicians.
There would probably IMBYs as well since historically in Japan a convenient walking distance to a station always reflected positively on real estate price so the land price would probably go up in those areas.
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:28 AM   #4451
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Good point indeed. Sometimes, it's the politicians and the opposing groups that stir the pot in one way or the other, or sometimes heading up to no decision at all, which I find either fascinating or irritating.

Old January 1st, 2013, 09:10 AM   #4452
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Sorry to say, but outside of maybe San Francisco and perhaps some east coast cities, I don't see any of the above really happening beyond the fantasies of urban planners and forum posters- case in point, the situation in Los Angeles, which I experienced firsthand as a carless traveler a few days ago (and with a perspective of someone who resides in Japan)- public transit in the U.S. outside of NYC is very much utilized and (unspoken) intended for those on the margins of society (minorities and the low-income, including students), and is thus handicapped by society's view of it as such- it is not perceived as something that is viable for "everyone's" basic transport option as it is in major urban areas in Japan. Case in point- the terminal station of the Metro Gold Line in Pasadena- located in an unpleasant location on a freeway median, and with no actual station beyond a platform but rather a connecting parking garage-which requires riders to either take an elevator four floors up or a stairway exposed to the elements. The first floor has a dark and dank bus terminal, but as far as I could see, there was no evidence (i.e. a sign saying "Station") that could be observed from Sierra Madre Blvd. or anywhere around the entrance to the unpleasant parking structure. It was as if its function as a station was intentionally hidden, from shame or spite. It's a telling illustration of how society views the users of public transport.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:26 AM   #4453
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Sorry to say, but outside of maybe San Francisco and perhaps some east coast cities, I don't see any of the above really happening beyond the fantasies of urban planners and forum posters- case in point, the situation in Los Angeles, which I experienced firsthand as a carless traveler a few days ago (and with a perspective of someone who resides in Japan)- public transit in the U.S. outside of NYC is very much utilized and (unspoken) intended for those on the margins of society (minorities and the low-income, including students), and is thus handicapped by society's view of it as such- it is not perceived as something that is viable for "everyone's" basic transport option as it is in major urban areas in Japan. Case in point- the terminal station of the Metro Gold Line in Pasadena- located in an unpleasant location on a freeway median, and with no actual station beyond a platform but rather a connecting parking garage-which requires riders to either take an elevator four floors up or a stairway exposed to the elements. The first floor has a dark and dank bus terminal, but as far as I could see, there was no evidence (i.e. a sign saying "Station") that could be observed from Sierra Madre Blvd. or anywhere around the entrance to the unpleasant parking structure. It was as if its function as a station was intentionally hidden, from shame or spite. It's a telling illustration of how society views the users of public transport.
I believe there is a dividing point in success of a massive transit based on the success of a station which had been the same from the stage coach era of the wild west where commerce is the main factor.

In those days a town mushroomed out of nowhere when they built a stage coach station. It drew in entrepreneurs to open shop which led to building a town. A station will always be a focal point of people therefore a coffee shop, a grocery, a drycleaner, a dentist, a barber, etc. would find it a convenient location to find new costumers. They just need to match the product with the level of costumer. One more important thing is the need of a law enforcing point. In the wild west era, the sheriff’s office was always at the middle of town. In Japan a Koban is always near the station.
In Japan I believe that many people considers and sees their nearby station as their hometown, a compartmentalization of a town within a town. This can be seen from how each station around the Yamanote line is looked upon. Shinjyuku, Shibuya, Ebisu, Shinagawa, Tokyo, etc.They are no more than 2~3Km apart and yet people talks as if they are in a different realm.

To make it short I believe, at the end an area surround a station creates a community of it's own and the success and/or failure of that community depends on how the community embraces the gathering of people to their community.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:05 PM   #4454
quashlo

Kabe Line extension coming in FY2015
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201301010067.html

Quote:
 廃止されているJR可部線の可部―旧河戸間(広島市安佐北区)を電化で復活させる計画で、広島市とJR西日本が2015年度の運行開始を目指し、近く事業化の最終合意をすることが31日、分かった。12年度中に着工し、総事業費は約30億円に上る見通し。国土交通省によると、JRが廃止路線を復活させる全国初のケースとなる。

市やJR関係者によると、1月中旬までに、2カ所設置する新駅の位置や事業化の手法などを盛り込んだ覚書を交わすとみられる。

延伸区間は約1・6キロ。旧河戸駅近くの県営住宅跡地に最終駅と、安佐北区役所などに近い可部駅との中間点に新駅を設置する。敷地は廃線敷を活用。駅舎やレール、鉄橋などは市が国の補助を受けて整備し、JRに無償譲渡する。市は関連予算を13年度当初予算案に盛り込む見通し。

大がかりな駅舎の改修などは市が受け持ち、電車や線路の保守など運行にかかわる経費はJRが運賃収入などでまかなう。

安全性と住民の生活利便性の確保から、これまで協議がまとまっていなかった4カ所の踏切のうち、移設も含めて3カ所を復活させる見通し。
A bit of news on this interesting project, as it represents the first time that service JR will be restoring service on a segment of discontinued track. Apparently, the final MOU between Hiroshima City and JR West, detailing the location of the two new stations and the execution scheme for the project, will be signed by mid-January, with actual construction work to begin in FY2012. Total project cost is approx. ₯3 billion, and will extend the Kabe Line about 1.6 km from the current terminus at Kabe Station to a new Kōdo Station, located on the site of former public housing administed by Hiroshima Prefecture near the site of the original Kōdo Station. An intermediate station will be established near the Asa Kita Ward offices. Hiroshima City is responsible for building the station buildings, tracks, bridges, and other infrastructure, with funding from the national government, and will then allow JR to operate on the new infrastructure for free.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:06 PM   #4455
quashlo

Design of new Kotoden station unveiled
http://www.shikoku-np.co.jp/kagawa_n...20121230000097

Quote:
 綾川町は、琴電琴平線の陶駅―滝宮駅間に建設を予定している新駅のイメージ図を公表した。ホームは屋根付きのシンプルなデザインで、駅前広場との段差をなくしたバリアフリー設計。駅前には大型バスが出入りできるロータリーを整備し、高松と県中西部地域の交通結節機能を持たせる。

新駅は陶駅から西へ約1・5キロ、滝宮駅から東へ約900メートルの同町萱原に建設。事業主体は、駅本体がことでん活性化協議会、駅前広場や進入道路は町が担う。総事業費は合わせて約5億7500万円。

町によると、ホームは全長85メートル。駅への進入道路をかさ上げし、ホームとの段差を解消するのが特徴。安全で快適に利用できるよう進入道路や駅周辺には歩行空間や憩いの場を設け、死角も極力なくしている。

駅前広場は、ホームに隣接してバスとタクシー、身障者用の駐車スペースを確保するほか、一般車両やタクシーの待機場、自転車駐輪場も設置。駅近くには、マイカー利用者向けにパーク・アンド・ライドを整備する。

また、高松市中心部や高松空港と、県中西部の交通結節点とするため、新駅を発着する路線バスや町営バスの導入を計画している。

整備事業は2014年度までの3カ年で実施。新駅の供用開始は来年8月ごろを予定している。

This is the new station on the Takamatsu–Kotohira Electric Railroad (Kotoden) between Sue and Takinomiya Stations, located approx. 1.5 km west of Sue and 0.9 km east of Takinomiya in Kayahara, Ayagawa Town. Total project cost is approx. ₯575 million, of which the Kotoden Revitalization Committee will bear the costs of the station itself and Ayagawa Town will bear the costs of the station plaza and access roads.

Platforms will be 85 m long with canopies, and the station will include a rotary and station plaza serving buses taxis, and private autos, with bike parking. The station will serve as a transport hub for west central Kagawa Prefecture, and Ayagawa Town is looking to make it a key hub for bus services connecting to central Takamatsu City and Takamatsu Airport.

The station will open in August of next year, with all elements of the project completed by FY2014.

Various scenes on the Kotoden, one of the more popular local railways in Japan:

Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:07 PM   #4456
quashlo

Seibu Holdings TSE relisting to be delayed to FY2013 or later
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atmoney/new...OYT1T01670.htm

Quote:
 西武鉄道やプリンスホテルを傘下に持つ西武ホールディングス(HD)が計画していた東京証券取引所への再上場が、2013年度以降に先送りされることが25日、明らかになった。

西武HDの後藤高志社長は今年6月の株主総会で「早期の上場へ着実に一歩一歩進んでいる」と述べ、夏以降、市場では年内上場の観測が強まっていた。だが、関係者によると、筆頭株主の米系投資ファンドのサーベラスとの間で、株の売り出し価格などの条件を巡り意見の隔たりが大きくなっている模様だ。

かつて株式を上場していた西武鉄道は、筆頭株主だったコクドの持ち株比率を少なく記した有価証券報告書の虚偽記載で、04年に上場廃止された。

その後、組織再編で06年に持ち株会社の西武HDを設立。業績は順調に推移し、再上場の環境は整ったと判断している。だが、サーベラス側はできるだけ高値で株を売却したい意向とみられ、現状では折り合いがつかず、年度内の上場は難しい情勢だ。西武HDの再上場は大型上場として市場関係者から期待を集めていた。
If you remember, Seibu Holdings, which has Seibu Railway and Prince Hotels under its umbrella of companies, was delisted from the Tōkyō Stock Exchange in 2004 after falsifying the percentage of shares owned by its former majority shareholder in shareholder reports. They’ve been trying to get relisted for some time now and were hoping to do it before year’s end, but the current majority shareholder, U.S. investment fund Cerberus Group, is still holding out in the hope of being able to sell the shares at a higher price. Cerberus has invested about ₯100 billion in Seibu Holdings, controlling about a 30 percent stock in the company.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:09 PM   #4457
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Kabe Line extension coming in FY2015
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201301010067.html

A bit of news on this interesting project, as it represents the first time that service JR will be restoring service on a segment of discontinued track. Apparently, the final MOU between Hiroshima City and JR West, detailing the location of the two new stations and the execution scheme for the project, will be signed by mid-January, with actual construction work to begin in FY2012. Total project cost is approx. ₯3 billion, and will extend the Kabe Line about 1.6 km from the current terminus at Kabe Station to a new Kōdo Station, located on the site of former public housing administed by Hiroshima Prefecture near the site of the original Kōdo Station. An intermediate station will be established near the Asa Kita Ward offices. Hiroshima City is responsible for building the station buildings, tracks, bridges, and other infrastructure, with funding from the national government, and will then allow JR to operate on the new infrastructure for free.
It is nice to see this project moving forward, even if it is a rather miniscule extension.

Had JR decided to abandon the entire Kabe line (which would have been stupid) it would be a great candidate for conversion to Light Rail as an extension of the Yokogawa Line. But they didn't abandon it, so it's I guess it's a moot point.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #4458
quashlo

It's actually a pretty interesting idea... I imagine JR West would love to get rid of the line completely since I doubt it's making much money (if any at all), although it's probably in far better financial shape than the Toyama-kō Line or any of the other local lines that JR West wants to spin off to cities for conversion to LRT. I suspect the city would have to be heavily involved in purchasing and upgrading the infrastructure, as I doubt Hiroden would want to spend money to upgrade the stations for their low-floor stock. Assuming that were resolved, though, it could make for a nice second suburban line for Hiroden.
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #4459
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

I am curious what will happen to the Kabe line once the new JR Hakushima station is open. At the moment, the only direct transfer between JR and Astram is at Omachi on the Kabe line.

Will people who had previously transferred from Astram to JR at Omachi, instead transfer at the new station? No doubt it will be a boon overall to transit, and to the Astram line in particular, but I have a suspicion that it will hurt ridership on the Kabe line, at least somewhat.

The biggest problem with converting the Kabe line to LRT would be the complicated connection at Yokogawa; the next biggest is that the track would need to be re-gauged since Hiroden is standard gauge and JR is cape gauge. Taken together, I think these problems are big enough such that such a conversion will never happen.

Last edited by orulz; January 4th, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #4460
quashlo

Tennōji‒Namba LRT groundbreaking planned for FY2015
http://osaka.yomiuri.co.jp/e-news/20...htm?from=main1

Quote:
 大阪府と大阪市が今月、大阪・アベノからミナミ、御堂筋を通ってキタ、新大阪までをつなぐ次世代型路面電車(LRT)の新路線づくりに着手する。先行整備する天王寺―難波間約3キロについて、近く、ルート調査を開始。官民の費用負担などの枠組みをまとめたうえで、2014年度に運行事業者を公募で決める。日本一の高層ビルになる「あべのハルカス」前を起点に天王寺動物園内や新世界を通る観光電車を目指し、15年度着工、18年度開通が目標だ。

新路線は、2050年を目標にした府・市の将来構想「グランドデザイン・大阪」の一環で、まず、先行区間を整備。動物園内に路面電車を走らせ、車窓からゾウやシロクマなどの動物を観覧できるほか、観光客が増加している通天閣や堺筋の日本橋・電器街を結び、南海難波駅に接続する。

LRTは床が低く、低振動、低騒音で、高齢者が利用しやすく、環境にやさしいとされる。1キロ当たりの建設費は15億~25億円で、比較的安価だ。

ルート調査では、13年秋からLRTを導入予定の阪堺電気軌道(大阪市住吉区)の協力を受け、敷設区間の道幅や勾配などを調べる。

13年度には、軌道や停車場などの整備について官民の負担割合などを検討するほか、車両通行や動物園への影響調査に取り組む。14年度に公募でLRTを運行する事業者を決定する。府大都市まちづくり推進室は「大阪の魅力を味わえる路線にしたい」としている。

More news on this proposal for a new light rail line eventually connecting Abeno, Minami, Kita, and Shin-Ōsaka via Tennōji Zoo, Shin-Sekai / Tsūtenkaku, Sakai-suji (Electronics Town), and Midō-suji. With growing visitors numbers to Tsūtenkaku and the Electronics Town and the fast-approaching opening of Abeno Harukas, the route is intended to cater to tourists, with the segment in the zoo to be designed to afford passing views of animals and exhibits. Route and financing studies for the 3 km first phase between Abeno (Tennōji) and Minami (Namba) will begin shortly. Groundbreaking is planned for FY2015, with opening in FY2018.

In particular, the route studies beginning in autumn 2013 will involve studies of street width and grades along possible alignments, with assistance from Hankai Electric Tramway. The financing studies will look at potential public-private funding strategies for the track and station infrastructure, and additional assessment will also be conducted of potential effects to traffic flow and to the zoo. An operator for the line will be selected in FY2014.