daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #4481
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

That is a shuttle bus by Hino? Dang, that is more like a microbus to me, if not a shuttle bus! And it being completely accessible too really makes it a great way to get around easily. Can any bus manufacturer outside Japan create such buses and make it work for, say, the US market? I mean, that looks much better (since it takes up much lesser space) than a conventional shuttle van by Ford.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #4482
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
That is a shuttle bus by Hino? Dang, that is more like a microbus to me, if not a shuttle bus! And it being completely accessible too really makes it a great way to get around easily. Can any bus manufacturer outside Japan create such buses and make it work for, say, the US market? I mean, that looks much better (since it takes up much lesser space) than a conventional shuttle van by Ford.
If you modify the big vans built in the US I believe it will become an equivalent of this mini bus.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #4483
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

I know at least a few cities in Europe have similar designs... Definitely more attractive than the souped-up vans and cheap-looking cutaways that are the domain of U.S. paratransit and dial-a-ride.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:30 AM   #4484
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
I know at least a few cities in Europe have similar designs... Definitely more attractive than the souped-up vans and cheap-looking cutaways that are the domain of U.S. paratransit and dial-a-ride.
Indeed. Is it a bit more expensive though to build and operate such buses for the US Market? I mean, an average lifespan of a cutaway van (as mandated per state and federal regulations) stands currently at around 5 to 7 years. Comparing that with buses that have an average lifespan of around 12 years, then it is pretty obvious which type of vehicle must operate on our roadways. I find the Hino microbus to be a more attractive shuttle transportation option than the cutaway vans, even though it means that it might struggle going up and down hilly and mountainous roads to serve smaller communities.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #4485
quashlo

Apparently, they call it the Poncho Short, a one-door version of the Poncho.
Quoted price is about ₯15 million.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #4486
quashlo

First Hiroden 1000 series train arrives

More Hiroshima news… This is the first of two new trains to enter service in February of this year for the Yokogawa Line / Hakushima Line / Eba Line). Nicknamed the “Piccolo”. It has already gone some testing at Mitsubishi Heavy Industries’ Wada-oki Plan in Mihara, but the first unit was finally delivered to Hiroshima Electric Railway on 2013.01.08. Burn-in will begin today (2013.01.10).

Being pushed into the Eba Carbarn by a Car 3006, a former Nishitetsu tram from Kita-Kyūshū (2013.01.08):

Source: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/tomokiti0423/

Old January 10th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #4487
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Oh ok. Is that manufactured overseas too for left-hand drive countries like the US, or is it exclusive to Japan? It can also be used for senior and handicapped shuttles too, similar to paratransit.

Old January 10th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4488
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Nice. Low floor replacements for some of the oldest klunkers on the Hiroden network!

Some of the vehicles are old enough to be considered historic, and I guess it's OK to keep a few of them in service since it adds some flavor. I think it's especially important to keep the 650 series running since they were around and in Hiroshima at the time of the bomb.

But some of the other older ones are really kind of disgraceful in my opinion. They have this kind of 'notched' throttle that gives a very jerky ride, not to mention how you feel every imperfection in the rail.. it's as if they have no suspension at all.

Everything built from the 80s onwards is fine. Everything before then (that is not really historic in some way) should go away. With this new acquisition, it seems that Hiroden is doing just that.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #4489
quashlo

Quote:
Oh ok. Is that manufactured overseas too for left-hand drive countries like the US, or is it exclusive to Japan? It can also be used for senior and handicapped shuttles too, similar to paratransit.
I think it's domestic market only.
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #4490
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:

I think it's domestic market only.
Awww shucks. Can Ford, New Flyer, or Gillig make a bus similar to the Hino microbus? I mean that bus really looks much better than the cutaway vans found in many, many cities and towns in the US.

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #4491
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 468

Has anyone heard any major milestones announced on Odakyu's undergrounding project lately? There's a project information center in Shimo-Kitazawa station I can go to and grab some updates if anyone's interested. I don't get over there often, but they seem to be completely finished with one set of bored tunnels and will be doing the cut and cover set soon.
IIRC they'll be moving the line to the deep bore tunnels to free the space on the surface to finish the cut and cover section.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #4492
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Has anyone heard any major milestones announced on Odakyu's undergrounding project lately? There's a project information center in Shimo-Kitazawa station I can go to and grab some updates if anyone's interested. I don't get over there often, but they seem to be completely finished with one set of bored tunnels and will be doing the cut and cover set soon.
IIRC they'll be moving the line to the deep bore tunnels to free the space on the surface to finish the cut and cover section.
Interesting. Are underground stations today in Tokyo and Yokohama built using the cut and cover method or through other means? It's because tunnel boring techniques nowadays make such stations -- both regular and in-fill -- possible, and I thought that Shimokitazawa Station is mostly overground as I've seen it on NHK.

Old January 11th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #4493
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:

Interesting. Are underground stations today in Tokyo and Yokohama built using the cut and cover method or through other means? It's because tunnel boring techniques nowadays make such stations -- both regular and in-fill -- possible, and I thought that Shimokitazawa Station is mostly overground as I've seen it on NHK.
Stations (and for that matter tunnels too) will always be built in whatever manner is most cost effective. Odakyu is making Shimo-Kitazawa a 4 tracked 4 level station. (1 above ground, 3 below. Don't forget Keio's Inokashira line is still running above all this too making it a 5 level stack.)
the deep tunnels will be express and cut/cover will be for locals. The tunnels have been bored straight through the aligment already so they're just doing finishing work. Boring tunnels is pretty expensive and it's really easy to dig under and around existing stations on the surface anyway so the station-box cut and cover method wins almost always.

Remember also, the stations themselves need to interface with the surface somehow anyway. If there's a case for boring a station, it would be to create a new station that interfaces with an existing one above it, using that station's entrances from the surface.

Last edited by starrwulfe; January 11th, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #4494
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Has anyone heard any major milestones announced on Odakyu's undergrounding project lately?
Yeah, the current tracks will be moving underground this spring, although no specific date has been announced:
http://www.shimochika-navi.com/

Unfortunately, this project is a lot like the Keiō project at Chōfu and other quadruple-track or grade-sep projects... In other words, way below the radar.
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #4495
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Yeah, the current tracks will be moving underground this spring, although no specific date has been announced:
http://www.shimochika-navi.com/

Unfortunately, this project is a lot like the Keiō project at Chōfu and other quadruple-track or grade-sep projects... In other words, way below the radar.
Well it was quite of technological feat seeing how they constructed the lines while still operating the trains on a normal basis.
They constructed two tracks going subterranean where the original tracks had been and two more tracks as bypass one at a time so not to disturb the flow of normal operation.They only had space for four tracks in all without any room for actual construction rigs out side that narrow corridor so if people paid attention you find yourself moving from one track to the other every two weeks or so. As they built the bypass track one by one they also dismantled the original tracks to make space for construction room to construct the bypass and as they dismantled the construction rig they dug the route that heading underground. It was totally amazing.
As for the at grade route between Yoyogi-Uehara and Umegaoka it will be dismantled meaning the transit between Odakyu and Keio at Shimo-Kitazawa will become a nightmare where you have to rush up two flights of stair instead of one from B1 to the second floor where the Keio Inogashira line resides.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #4496
quashlo

Abrupt changes in Hiroden leadership bring fare increase, Hiroshima Station projects back to square one
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...00C13A1LC0000/

Quote:
 広島電鉄の椋田昌夫社長は9日、就任記者会見を開き、8日の臨時取締役会で解任した越智秀信前社長が推進してきた2つの事業を白紙に戻すと表明した。路面電車の運賃引き上げとJR広島駅前で計画する新線の進入方法について「取締役全員の意思でない」として転換する。越智前社長を非常勤取締役とし、役員や社員、取引先との意思疎通を重視する経営体制に移行する考えを示した。

椋田社長は広島市の本社で開いた記者会見の冒頭、「世間を騒がすことになり市民や株主に申し訳ない」と陳謝した。椋田社長によると、国土交通省出身の越智氏が2009年に同社に転じ10年に社長に就任して以降、取締役など社内の意見を聞かず独断で経営方針を決めるようになり、社内外が混乱したという。

椋田社長は解任理由として、越智氏が推進した運賃引き上げとJR広島駅前に直線で入る新線「駅前大橋線」整備計画を挙げた。越智氏は昨秋、老朽化が進む路面電車を低床車両に切り替えるため、広島市内で150円均一の運賃を30円程度値上げすると表明した。昨年末の日本経済新聞のインタビューで越智氏は、現在の約120編成の4割が運行から47年が経過したと指摘。40編成を15年程度で入れ替えるには120億円の費用が必要となるとし「13年度には値上げに踏み切らざるを得ない」と説明したうえで、今春にも国交省に申請する意向を示した。

椋田社長は会見で「老朽化した車両の更新は必要でいつかは(値上げを)しなくてはならない」としつつ、市民生活への影響や企業規模に対する投資額の大きさを理由に「白紙に戻す」とした。

新線計画は広島市中心部から遠回りして広島駅に入る路線を直線にして時間を短縮する。市の検討委員会は10年から乗り入れ方式を検討し高架方式と地下方式に絞って3月までに結論を出す。

越智氏は地下方式、西日本旅客鉄道(JR西日本)は新幹線との接続の観点から高架方式を支持しているが、椋田社長は「越智氏以外に地下方式を推進する者はいない」と強調。今後、市やJRと調整し「できる限り協力したい」と語った。松井一実市長や中国運輸局には事業を白紙に戻すことを伝えたという。

両事業は今春に節目を迎える予定だったため、社長解任という異例の展開となった。広電の事業計画の決定過程が今後、どのように変化するかに注目が集まりそうだ。

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...3A100C1LC0000/

Quote:
 広島電鉄は8日、越智秀信社長が取締役に降格し椋田昌夫専務が社長に昇格したと発表した。越智社長は就任から約2年半での交代となる。国土交通省出身の越智氏は大田哲哉元社長(故人)の遺志を引き継ぎ、最大の懸案であるJR広島駅前に直線で入る「駅前大橋線」の整備計画を推進していた。だが、車両の進入方法を巡り社内対立が表面化。越智氏は社内をまとめ切れなかったことが今回の突然の交代につながったとみられている。

社長交代は8日に開催した臨時取締役会で決定した。同日付で越智氏の事実上の解任を実施した。広電は発表文の異動の理由で「代表取締役の独断的な業務執行で会社組織の正当な業務執行に支障をきたしている」と、越智氏への不信感を表明した。

越智氏の解任は緊急動議ではなく、4日付の取締役会招集通知には「代表取締役の解職について」と記されていた。広電に近いある経営者は「越智氏は経営陣の中で孤立しており、社内でクーデターが起こりかねないと聞いていた」と話す。

越智氏は大田元社長が国交省から招いたが、社長に昇格する椋田氏も大田元社長の信頼が厚く、大田元社長は椋田氏が越智氏を支える経営体制を目指していた。椋田氏は鉄道、不動産、人事部門など幅広い分野を経験し社内外での人脈も広い。椋田氏の社長就任で、駅前大橋線など広電の経営方針が大きく転換する可能性がある。

越智氏が降格された今回の人事の直接の引き金となったとみられるのは、「駅前大橋線」の整備計画。現在、広島市中心部から遠回りして広島駅に入る路線を直線にして時間短縮を図る大事業だ。広島市の検討委員会は2010年から広電の乗り入れ方法を検討しており、高架方式と地下方式に絞り3月までに結論を出す予定だった。

越智氏は10年の社長就任当初から地下方式を主張。昨年末の日本経済新聞のインタビューでも、「高架方式は道路上に軌道を支える柱を設置するため駅前の交通が混雑する」と、地下方式のメリットを訴えていた。

だが、昨年12月の市の委員会では、複数の市議会議員が高架案を主張。広電の社内でも「事業費を抑えられる高架案が望ましい」とする意見も広がっていた。一方で、越智氏は「12年度中に基本方針を決めてもらわないと、予定している16年度末の完成に間に合わない」と焦りを募らせており、これが経営陣の中で孤立を招いた理由ともみられている。

広電は昨年、電車創業100周年を迎え、老朽化した路面電車の更新や古い車両を活用したレストランの開店などの記念事業を開催。「次の100年も市民に愛される企業にしたい」と話していた。記者会見を頻繁に開き、自ら事業について説明。メディアとのインタビューでも広報担当者を介さず単独で応じることが多く、「スタンドプレー的に見える部分があった」との指摘も多い。
Apparently, the former president of Hiroden was ousted on 2013.01.08, citing a growing disconnect between him and the company’s Board of Directors that finally came to a head over the holidays. A former government employee under the MLIT, the former president jumped ship to Hiroden in 2009, becoming president in 2010. There appears to have been discontent between him and the Hiroden board executives, at least some of whom did not approve of his two major initiatives—the realignment of the Hiroden Main Line approaching JR Hiroshima Station and a proposed fare increase to help cover needed investment in rolling stock and infrastructure over the coming years.

In particular, the former president was the only proponent of the underground alignment into Hiroshima Station, while the company board and several members of the Hiroshima City Council favored the cheaper elevated alignment, also recommended by JR for its benefits in terms of transfers with the Shinkansen. It appears that both of these projects are now back at square one, although the new president has said he will do what he can “within his abilities” to coordinate with Hiroshima City and JR on the realignment project, whatever that means. The project itself is being led by Hiroshima City, though, and the city’s Transport Bureau doesn’t seem especially concerned about the change in leadership, still aiming for a decision regarding an elevated vs. an underground alignment before the end of the financial year.
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #4497
quashlo

Nagoya City University to introduce combined manaca, student ID cards
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/kyoiku/news...OYT8T00575.htm

Quote:
 名古屋市立大(名古屋市瑞穂区)は、ICカード乗車券「manaca(マナカ)」と一体になった学生証を4月から導入すると発表した。

マナカ一体型の学生証は名古屋産業大(尾張旭市)などの私立大が既に導入しているが、公立大では初めてという。

発表では、新たに導入するマナカ一体型の学生証は、絵を同市立大の学生がデザイン。もう一方の面に学生証があり、顔写真や学籍番号、氏名などを記載している。新年度に入学する大学生や大学院生約1100人に配布する。

同市立大では、学生証は図書館での本の貸し出しや各種証明書の発行などに使われている。マナカには電子マネー機能もあり、同市立大は、マナカ一体型の学生証で買い物などができる環境整備を検討する。

南山大付属小学校(名古屋市昭和区)は9日、マナカを使って児童が登下校したことを親にメールで知らせるサービスを始めた。児童の多くが地下鉄やバスで通学しており、親に安心を届けるのが狙い。

登下校時に児童がげた箱付近に設置した端末にマナカをかざすと、事前に登録された保護者の携帯電話などのメールアドレスに登下校時刻などが配信される。利用料は年3600円で、全校児童の約7割にあたる約390人から申し込みがあったという。

名古屋市立大のマナカ一体型の学生証
Private universities including Nagoya Sangyō University already issue joint manaca and student ID cards, but with the start of the next school year (April), Nagoya City University in Owari Asahi City will become the first public university to join the group.
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4498
quashlo

Yamanashi Prefecture calls for new BRT to link maglev station, JR Kōfu Station
http://mainichi.jp/area/yamanashi/ne...20171000c.html

Quote:
 県は、リニア中央新幹線の東京−名古屋間の開通(27年予定)に向けた「県リニア活用基本構想」の素案を公表した。甲府市大津町付近に建設予定のリニア新駅とJR甲府駅約8キロを結ぶ交通手段は、新設のバス専用道と明記。1月27日までパブリックコメントを募集する。

構想によると、バス専用道は国道358号(平和通り)と並行する荒川の土手を利用してバス専用道を造り、輸送人員の多い大型バスを走らせる。県の試算では整備費用が1キロ当たり5億〜7億円で、モノレールや路面電車に比べて安く、路線バスの1・5倍の輸送能力があるとされる。

この他、新駅に30分でアクセスできる地域の拡大を目指し、中部横断道や中央道などの新インターチェンジ整備、新駅とJR身延線や中央線の主要駅を結ぶバス網の再編も図るとしている。【春増翔太】
Yamanashi Prefecture recently released the draft of a master plan document that describes the various policies to be initiated in preparation for the maglev. The plan calls for establishing a bus-only ROW to connect the 8 km distance separating the planned maglev site and JR Kōfu Station. The ROW will be built along the bank of the Arakawa River, parallel to National Route 358 (Heiwa-dōri), and the service will run with high-capacity buses.
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4499
quashlo

Improvements coming to Kunitachi Station
http://tachikawa.keizai.biz/headline/1363/

Quote:
 JR中央線・国立駅(国立市北1)は1月13日、現在使用中の南北改札口を閉鎖し、改札を統合する。

統合は、三鷹~立川間約13キロの区間で行われている連続立体交差事業の一環。同駅は、2009年1月に下り線(1番線)を、2010年11月に上り線をそれぞれ高架へ切り替え、昨年12月16日には上り本線(3番線)を新設し、ホーム部分の工事を完了。続く駅部分など高架下の工事に伴い、今回の改札口統合となった。

今回の統合では、現在、南口・北口共に地上に1カ所ずつある改札口を閉鎖、現在の改札の東側にある南北仮通路中央付近、高架下に改札口を新設、1カ所に統合する。新改札へは南北仮通路から出入りする。新改札は、高架下部分の完成後もそのまま使用する予定。

駅舎や側道の整備など、全ての工事の完了は2013年度内を予定する。

国立駅南口側の南北仮通路入口付近。新改札へは南北仮通路から出入りする。
This is related to the continuous grade-separation (elevation) of 13 km of the Chūō Rapid Line between Mitaka and Tachikawa… The outbound track (Track 1) was elevated back in January 2009, followed by the inbound track in November 2010 and the final Track 3 at the station on 2012.12.16. With the track and platforms all complete, the next steps involve improvements to the station, including the upcoming consolidation of the station’s ground-level north and south ticketing entrances into a new, single location underneath the elevated tracks.
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4500
quashlo

Improvements underway at JR Hatsukaichi Station
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201301120082.html

Quote:
 廿日市市東部の玄関口となる、JR廿日市駅周辺地区の再開発が着々と進んでいる。駅北側の市区画整理事業は2014年度末に造成完了の予定。南口とは自由通路でつながり、広電廿日市駅前はロータリーを新設する。総事業費は約190億円を見込む。16年度末までに段階的に供用を始める見通しで、駅前の利便性や都市機能の向上につなげる。

区画整理事業は、平良山手や佐方地区の山林など東西1キロ、南北0・3キロ、16・2ヘクタールが対象。総事業費は131億7200万円。05年に着工し、1月現在の進捗(しんちょく)率(工事ベース)は8割に達している。

宅地部分は8・8ヘクタールあり、うち65%が造成済み。片側2車線、延長962メートルの市道が東西を貫く。新設される駅北口と隣接する商業地区1万413平方メートルは、市が活用方針の検討を進めている。

駅の南北をつなぐ長さ約80メートル、幅約6メートルの自由通路は15年度の供用開始を目指しており、駅舎の橋上化とともにJR側と協議を進めていく。

また、南口駅前広場は市営駐輪場を移転して、ロータリー一帯を約3倍に拡幅する計画。国道2号から整備中の県道「廿日市駅通線」(430メートル)とつながる。

広電廿日市駅南側には市道とロータリーを新たに整備し、バス停や待合所を設ける。これに伴い、広島電鉄は駅舎を3月にも解体し、ホームを約50メートル東側に移設する。

区画整理事業が進むJR廿日市駅(中央)北側。駅南口や広電廿日市駅(手前)の再開発とともに今後、街並みは様相を変えていく
The focus is a ₯13.172 billion, 16.2 ha land readjustment project at the north side of the station, where the basic civil works are scheduled for completion in late FY2014. Work was started in 2005 and is currently about 80% complete, meaning the land is almost ready for subdivision and development.

The other major elements of the project include a slew of station improvements, including elevation of the station concourse and construction of a combined platform bridge and 80 m long, 6 m wide public passage through the station, opening in FY2014. At the South Exit of the station, a publicly-operated bike parking facility will be relocated to expand the existing rotary at the station to three times its current size and connect it to a new north-south roadway under construction.

The station is located on the competing segments of the JR San’yō Main Line and the Hiroden Miyajima Line in western Hiroshima, and Hiroden Hatsukaichi Station is less than a five-minute walk away. The project also includes various improvements at the Hiroden station, including new city roads, a rotary, bus stops, and a waiting room at the Hiroden Station, which will require relocating the Hiroden station building and platforms about 50 m east.

A tour through Hiroden Hatsukaichi Station… This was the last wooden station building remaining on the Hiroden network, but is being demolished as part of the project.