daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #4561
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Station numbering coming to Keiō

Official press release:
http://www.keio.co.jp/news/backnumbe..._numbering.pdf

In Febaruary, Keiō Corporation will become the latest private railway in the Greater Tōkyō area to roll-out station numbering… They’ve adopted a hybrid numbering scheme that blends a “one letter combination per line” scheme (a la Tōkyū, Tōbu, and Seibu) with a “one letter combination for the entire system scheme” (a la Keikyū and Keisei). I suppose it sort of makes sense given that Keiō only has two main lines into Tōkyō (Keiō Line and Inokashira Line), and all of their other lines are just branches of the Keiō Line.

“KO” will be used for the Keiō Line and branch lines (Keiō New Line, Sagamihara Line, Keibajō Line, Dōbutsuen Line, and Takao Line), while “IN” will be used for the Inokashira Line. They’ve given Shinjuku (新宿) and New Line Shinjuku Station (新線新宿) the same number (KO-01).

Numbering scheme:

These changes will be implemented together with the schedule / service changes on 2013.02.22.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #4562
quashlo

Platform doors at Keiō Shinjuku Station Platform 3 to enter service on 2013.03.09

So quick… Good to see this happening, as this platform can get quite busy, even in the mornings for the reverse commute. They will begin installing the units on Platform 3 in mid-January, and they will begin use starting with the first trains on 2013.03.09 (a Saturday).

Doors for Platforms 1 and 2 will come later in FY2013. It looks like they won’t be doing anything to the alighting platform, which makes sense, since you’re not supposed to board from here and the edges already have the older-style fencing.

As the rendering shows, these are half-height doors, similar to what they installed at Chōfu and Kokuryō in August of last year, although the color scheme on the door leaves is slightly different.

Platform doors at Chōfu, inbound platforms:

Track 3 at Keiō Shinjuku during the evening rush (2010.12.11). The doors will be installed on the right side on Platform 3.

Old January 20th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #4563
quashlo

For tram fans, I found some awesome historic videos of trams…

Probably the most interesting one, this one tours all 29 systems running in Japan (at the time, late 70s or early 80s?). In addition to some priceless historic footage of some existing systems like Hiroshima, this one also has clips of systems that have since been abandoned, including Kita-Kyūshū (2:30) and Gifu (3:10).

A 2009 Kansai TV documentary of Ōsaka’s system. This one is more about transport in general and overall conditions in Ōsaka at the time (including JR Ōsaka Station and the Shinkansen / limited expresses), although there are plenty of clips of the tram system. If you can understand Japanese, there’s lots and lots of interesting stories in this video, including opposition to the construction of Shin-Ōsaka Station, the construction of Asia’s then-largest underground mall at Ōsaka Station, the filling of the Nagahori River and Ōsaka Bay, long-distance train service out of Tennōji Station, and protests from the subway ticket ladies who lost their jobs before the Ōsaka World Expo.

Wakayama’s system, which was abandoned 1971.03.31. These clips are from the last month of service.

The last day of Sendai’s system (1976.03.31):

A half-century chronicle of Nagoya’s system, produced in 1970:

Clips of the Nishitetsu Kita-Kyūshū Line, one of the more recently abandoned lines (1992.10.24):

Sr.Horn liked this post
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #4564
DoctorWunderlich

Likes (Received): 0

Visit to Chōfu station September 7, 2012

The Keiō Chōfu station (調布駅) underwent a major change when the
Underground tracks opened on August 19, 2012 with full grade separation between the Keiō & Sagamihara lines. The new station has 3 underground levels: B1F for tickets and to the gates, B2F & B3F each a single island platform with two tracks.

I visited the station on September 7, 2012 and arrived at the B2F level on a Keiō line train from Mushashinodai. Extra Keiō staff were present to help people.. I also walked around the station area and the surface level tracks are getting ready for removal. Someone should go back in a year to see how it has changed. I left for Tama on the Sagamihara line from track 1 on a Toei 10300 on through service from the Shinjuku line.

image hosted on flickr

Here are pictures from my visit.

Last edited by DoctorWunderlich; January 20th, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
DoctorWunderlich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #4565
DoctorWunderlich

Extra Keio staff was present at the B1F level of the new underground station to guide people.

image hosted on flickr

A Toei 10-300 series arriving at Chofu station on a through service to Hshimoto from the Shinjuku line.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by DoctorWunderlich; January 20th, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #4566
DoctorWunderlich

Equipment for track removal was already present less than a month after closure of the old station.

image hosted on flickr

The old station is fenced off to prepare the demolition.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by DoctorWunderlich; January 20th, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:20 AM   #4567
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Check-in station for Hiroshima Airport coming to JR Shiraichi Station
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201301190135.html

On 2013.01.18, Hiroshima Station announced a plan for upgrades to Shiraichi Station (Higashi-Hiroshima City) on the JR San’yō Line, which is the closest station to Hiroshima Airport. The Shinkansen has the majority share for intercity traffic to and from Tōkyō, but these plans are designed to improve the connections to the airport by constructing a new facility (the Hiroshima Air Terminal) allowing check-in and baggage screening at the train station. Passengers would then board a special bus that would take them directly to their plane at the airport about 10 km from the station.

Currently, only 7% of Hiroshima Airport users use Shiraichi Station, with airport express buses via the San’yō Expressway capturing the majority share of public transit users heading to and from the airport. However, accidents and congestion on the expressway frequently cause delays or cancellations for express buses. By train, however, it still takes 45 minutes to get from Hiroshima Station to Shirachi Station, and then another 15 minutes on a connecting bus to get to the airport.

The first goal in the vision is to increase ridership at the station, which is currently stalled at about 3,900 average daily boardings and alightings (FY2011). The first improvements coming in FY2014 will be barrier-free upgrades (new platform bridges and elevators to make it easier for passengers with luggage to use the station. In FY2013, the Prefecture will also test out adding trips to existing airport express bus service at Shiraichi Station. In the future, the Prefecture is also hoping that JR will have rapid trains begin stopping at the station.
At one point while I was in Hiroshima, they were studying the possibility of a direct rail link to Hiroshima Airport. One of the options was, believe it or not, a Shinkansen spur; another was a branch from the Sanyo main line as is, and another was a branch from an (improved) Sanyo main line. I think JR West was not too fond of the idea since it would make it easier to reach the airport, which would take away business from the Shinkansen.

I for one always used the express buses. I was not even aware that there was a bus to the airport from Shiraichi Station at all. I would guess that would be targeted at people getting to the airport from places like Onomichi, Mihara, or Fukuyama rather than the larger population center of Hiroshima city which is very well served by convenient and fast buses.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:21 AM   #4568
quashlo

Thanks for posting the pictures... I posted some from 3-4 years ago, but I'm not sure you'd be able to see much different at surface level, since most of the work on these projects is done underground.

From an engineering perspective, the Keiō project at Chōfu (and the Odakyū project, for that matter) are far more complex than the Tōyoko Line project, but it got far less attention because there's no tangible new service to come out of it. The new underground stations are all fantastic, though, and the project is pretty amazing if you consider that the carefully orchestrated operations and timed transfers that used to take place at surface level (albeit without the flat junction) now take place on two segregated levels underground.
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:22 AM   #4569
quashlo

Completion of Yodo Station elevation to bring schedule changes for Keihan
http://response.jp/article/2013/01/21/189216.html

Quote:
京阪電気鉄道は3月16日、淀駅付近立体交差化事業の進捗にともない、京阪線(京阪本線・鴨東線、中之島線、宇治線、交野線)のダイヤを一部変更する。

高架化工事が進む淀駅では、現在工事中の1番線ホーム(京都方面)が本格的に供用開始されることに(淀駅付近の工事完了は2013年度中の予定)。これを受けて、大阪方面から淀行の営業列車が増発される。平日朝6時台の樟葉発淀屋橋行準急は淀発に変更するほか、淀屋橋駅を18~19時台に発車する樟葉行急行4本が淀行となる。また、平日夜に京都方面へ向かう特急の10分ヘッド運転時間帯が20分拡大し、淀屋橋駅22時20分まで運転される。

平日・土休日ともに昼間時間帯(9~17時頃)の運転パターンも変更される。特急以外の列車は現在、1時間あたり淀屋橋~樟葉間の急行が4本、中之島~出町柳間の準急が2本運転されているが、ダイヤ変更後は準急も淀屋橋駅発着となり、淀屋橋~樟葉間の急行3本、淀屋橋~出町柳間の準急3本の運転に。一方、普通はダイヤ変更後、中之島~出町柳間の列車が1時間あたり3本、中之島~萱島間の列車が1時間あたり3本の運転となる。

平日朝に運転される私市発中之島行の通勤快急「おりひめ」と、平日夜の中之島発私市行の快速急行「ひこぼし」は廃止に。利用者の少ない一部列車の削減も行われる。新ダイヤの詳しい情報は3月上旬頃、ホームページやポケット時刻表などで案内される。

日中の中之島駅発着の準急は淀屋橋駅発着に変更される

On 2013.03.16, elevation of the final track (Track 1, outside track for Kyōto) at Yodo Station will be complete, marking the end of the grade separation project at the station that involved reconstructing this four-track station with new elevated tracks and constructing a new elevated pedestrian bridge connecting the station with the adjacent Kyōto Racecourse (horseracing venue). As part of this milestone, Keihan will institute some minor service and schedule changes.

In particular, several trains that currently stop or end at Kuzuha will be extended further east to Yodo now that there is additional capacity at the station with the opening of the second Kyōto-bound track. The block of 10-minute Kyōto-bound limited express trains will also be extended another 20 minutes later on weekday evening, with the last one being the 22:20 departure from Yodoyabashi.

There will also be changes to the midday timetable patterns:

Limited express (Yodoyabashi ↔ Demachiyanagi): 6 tph → 6 tph (no change)
Express (Yodoyabashi ↔ Kuzuha): 4 tph → 3 tph
Semi-express (Nakanoshima ↔ Demachiyanagi): 2 tph → 0 tph
Semi-express (Yodoyabashi ↔ Demachiyanagi): 0 tph → 3 tph
Local (Yodoyabashi ↔ Demachiyanagi): 2 tph → 0 tph
Local (Nakanoshima ↔ Kayashima): 2 tph → 3 tph
Local (Nakanoshima ↔ Demachiyanagi): 2 tph → 3 tph

Will still be 18 tph on the Main Line east of Tenmabashi, but it looks like they will be demoting the Nakanoshima Line to purely local service, while moving all the limited-stop services to Yodoyabashi. In fact, Yodoyabashi won’t even have any locals at all. A bit disappointing since I really like the Nakanoshima Line… I guess they just need more time for it to fully build-out. Lack of a good connection to the Ōsaka Municipal Subway probably hurts as well.

While the new track will open on 2013.03.16, there is still some clean-up work (removing the at-grade tracks, etc.) that will continue further into the fiscal year.

Pass-by of the construction (2012.12.19). A bit shaky, but this is all that’s available.

The five-car Orihime commuter rapid express (one AM Ōsaka-bound run) and Hikoboshi rapid express (one PM Kisaichi-bound run) through-services between the Nakanoshima Line and Katano Line will also be discontinued due to declining ridership.

An Orihime run at Hirakata-shi (2013.01.18), the junction with the Keihan Main Line. Ridership doesn’t look too bad, but the train length (limited to only five cars due to the Katano Line) is likely not a plus in terms of trying to normalize the loads during the rush.

A Hikoboshi run at Nakanoshima (2013.01.17):

Apparently, Keihan also has a new so-called “image character”:

Old January 21st, 2013, 08:23 AM   #4570
quashlo

Tōkyō Metro to switch from circular to cubical marker signposts at entrances
http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/to...102000097.html

Quote:
 東京メトロは、路上の駅出入り口を表示する「Mマーク」を、二方向からしか見えない現行の円型から、四方向から見える立方体(キューブ型)にすべて変更する。交差点や離れた場所からでも分かりやすくするためで、照明は、省エネ型の発光ダイオード(LED)を採用する。 (村松権主麿)

七十七駅、二百二十四カ所にあるMマークは、上野駅や池袋駅などを皮切りに、二〇一五年度までに、すべてキューブ型に変更される。

LEDは電車内の照明にも拡大。既に、銀座線の新型車両に導入し、他の機器への影響や明るさなどに問題ないと検証され、本格導入を決めた。今後、新しい車両にはLEDを全面採用する。

既存の車両についても、定期的なメンテナンスなどで照明を一斉交換する際、LEDに変更し、最終的に全車両をLED化する。丸ノ内線と半蔵門線で切り替えを始め、LED化した車内にはステッカーを張って乗客に知らせる。

東京メトロはLED移行により、消費電力の抑制や、球切れによる廃棄物の大幅削減につながるとしている。 

(左)前後の2方向からしか見えない現行の円型「Mマーク」
(右)上野駅に導入されたキューブ型(いずれも東京メトロ提供)
The measure is primarily designed to increase visibility from all angles, as the circular signs only have two faces with the Tōkyō Metro logo, while the cubical signs will have four faces with the Tōkyō Metro logo. They will also switch out the lighting systems to LEDs, however, cutting down on electricity consumption. Covered will be 224 locations at 77 stations by FY2015, starting with Ueno (Hibiya Line) and Ikebukuro (Marunouchi Line and Yūrakuchō Line) this fiscal year.

In related news, they’ve tested LEDs for use in general lighting systems for rolling stock and are satisfied with the performance. They will be rolling them out on all new trains, as well as refitting existing stock when their maintenance cycle comes up.
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:03 AM   #4571
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
From an engineering perspective, the Keiō project at Chōfu (and the Odakyū project, for that matter) are far more complex than the Tōyoko Line project, but it got far less attention because there's no tangible new service to come out of it.
I might add that its a lot easier to get information about the Toyoko line project than Odakyu's. But there will be increased service once they're done undergrounding and quad tracking that zone though...
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:57 PM   #4572
quashlo

High schools file joint petition with Takaoka City to extend Man’yō Line
http://webun.jp/news/A100/knpnews/20130119/73727

Quote:
 高岡西、高岡第一、高岡商業の3高校は18日までに、路面電車・万葉線を、高岡市片原町交差点から高岡商業高校前まで北西に約2・1キロ延伸するよう、高岡市に要望した。夜間や積雪時の通学の安全を確保するため。沿線には国の重要伝統的建造物群保存地区(重伝建地区)の山町筋や金屋町があり、3校は中心市街地活性化も期待できるとしている。金屋町の住民も近く同様の要望書を市に提出する。

JR高岡駅の北西部には、3高校と、高岡第一学園の幼稚園教諭・保育士養成所があり、合わせて約2千人の生徒・学生が学ぶ。要望した延伸区間は、JRを利用する3校と養成所の生徒と学生の通学路に当たる。

高校から駅までのバスの本数が少なく、いずれの高校でも帰宅時に歩いて駅に向かう生徒が多い。最も駅から遠く、女子生徒が全体の約7割に上る高岡商業高では、生徒が不審者に声を掛けられたケースもあった。積雪時は歩道が通行できなくなり、交通事故の危険も増す。

2年後に開通する北陸新幹線の新駅設置に向け、市で公共交通の見直しが進んでいることから、高岡商業高の伊東与二校長が延伸の要望を近隣校に提案。いずれも延伸を強く希望しており、連名で要望書を作成した。今月16日、伊東校長、池田安人高岡西高校長、川原隆平高岡第一学園理事長が市に提出した。

高岡鋳物発祥の地である金屋町は、2011年に国の「歴史都市」に認定された高岡市の観光の中核を担う地区。駐車場がないことが長年の課題で、これまでも延伸の要望を市に伝えてきた。前自治会長で、現在は相談役の加藤昌宏さん(62)は「JRで訪れた観光客に不便な思いをさせてきた。観光の強化にも、住民の暮らしにも、延伸は必要」と強調する。

実現には、千保川に架かる鳳鳴橋の補強などに必要な事業費や、採算性が課題となる。高橋市長は「検討課題は多いが、実現の可能性を見極めていきたい」としている。

This is a proposal for a 2.1 km branch line from the Kataharamachi intersection, located less than 1 km north of Takaoka Station between Suehiromachi and Kataharamachi Stations. The three high schools are located along the proposed alignment, securing a means of transit for students, particularly during evenings and during snowy weather. There is also hope that the extension would revitalize the Kanyamaachi and Yamachō-suji areas (the latter area features historic castle town architecture).

Currently, there is limited bus service between the station and the schools, so there are a fair number of students who just walk to and from the nearest stations. The school located furthest away also has about 70% female students, and during snowfall, it’s impossible to walk on the sidewalks, so there is a safety aspect to the proposal as well.

There are some potential cost issues with the extension, including a need to reinforce Hōmei Bridge (鳳鳴橋) over the Senbo River (千保川).

Man’yō Line scenes, focusing on their special Doraemon train (2012.09.08). The passing meet at 2:30 is pretty interesting.

Old January 21st, 2013, 08:59 PM   #4573
quashlo

Chōfu City finalizes development plan for former Keiō ROW
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A110C1L83000/

Quote:
 東京都調布市は京王線と京王相模原線の地下化に伴う地上の線路跡(事業区間は計約3.7キロメートル)の利用方針案をまとめた。地下化で生じた線路跡のうち、調布駅周辺には商業施設を誘致する。ほかは自転車駐輪場や公園、緑道、生活道路などを整備する。かつて線路で遮断されていた南北方向の人の往来を増やし、地域の活性化につなげる。

利用方針案で商業施設に定められた調布駅周辺の敷地は現在、京王電鉄が保有している。同社は「利用方針案通り、商業施設にする考え」と説明する。誘致する商業施設の敷地面積は合計で約6000平方メートルになる見通し。ただ、どのような業態を誘致するかは未定としている。

調布駅前は南北を一体化し、中心にはイベント開催が可能な広場を設ける。交通ロータリーは南北にそれぞれ設ける。2018年度に完成する予定だ。

布田駅前と国領駅前にも交通ロータリーと地元住民がくつろげる空間を整備する。14~15年度に完成の予定だ。

地下化事業は東京都と調布市、京王電鉄が共同で実施した。これに伴い昨年、3.7キロメートルの間で踏切18カ所が無くなった。跡地のより詳細な整備方針はこの利用方針案をベースに、市が策定を進めている13年度から6カ年の「調布市基本計画」に盛り込む。
With the completion of the undergrounding of the Keiō Line and Keiō Sagamihara Line near Chōfu, Chōfu City has been examining ways to reuse the former at-grade ROW, and has now made a final policy decision on the matter. The grade-separation project opened up a 3.7 km swath and eliminated 18 grade crossings through a dense part of western Tōkyō, opening up a lot of opportunities to reuse the freed-up land.

For the area around Chōfu Station, they will zone about 6,000 sq m of land for commercial, although they have not decided exactly what type of commercial. This particular land is actually owned by Keiō, so I assume Keiō will want to build some sort of station tenant building aboveground. They will strengthen connectivity between the north and south sides of the station and construct a large plaza capable of holding events at the center. Rotaries for connecting modes will be provided at both the north and south ends (currently, there already are, but presumably they will substantially expand and redesign them now that they’ve got more space to work with at surface level). Completion is scheduled for FY2018.

At Fuda and Kokuryō, they will also construct rotaries, as well as open space for local residents. These are scheduled for completion in FY2014 and FY2015.

The remainder of the space will be used for bike parking, open space and parks, recreational paths, and neighborhood roads.

A walk along the surface alignment on opening day of the underground alignment (2012.08.19):

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:00 PM   #4574
quashlo

Universities look to take advantage of rail line expansion to attract more students
http://mainichi.jp/english/english/f...na008000c.html

Quote:
Private universities located along the Toyoko Line and the Fukutoshin Line in the Tokyo area are trying to take advantage of the connection of the two train lines from March 16 to attract prospective students from broader areas.

With the university entrance exam season right around the corner, competition among private universities to attract exam-takers is heating up. While the decline in the birthrate has caused Japanese universities to struggle to maintain student numbers, and the long-lasting recession has increased the number of students commuting from their families' homes, the two transportation lines stretching from the city of Yokohama to Saitama Prefecture may reshape the conventional "exam map."

Rikkyo University has launched "Project K" -- K stands for Kanagawa -- in a bid to attract students from the prefecture. Since Rikkyo has campuses in Tokyo's Ikebukuro and the city of Niiza, Saitama Prefecture, the university had been thought to be too far for those commuting from the Kanagawa area.

Tobu's Tojo Line and Seibu's Ikebukuro Line will also connect to the expanded Tokyu Toyoko and Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin lines in Shibuya, meaning the cities of Yokohama and Kawasaki in Kanagawa Prefecture will be directly connected to Saitama Prefecture without transfers.

Taking this as an opportunity to attract more students, Rikkyo University has put up advertising posters inside Toyoko Line trains and electric ads at Yokohama Station to publicize improved access to the college. "We hope that exam-takers in Kanagawa, where many elite high schools are located, will realize that our school is a convenient commute," says a Rikkyo official.

Waseda University, whose campuses are located along the Fukutoshin and Ikebukuro lines, is also jumping in on the opportunity to try and attract new students, placing ads on Toyoko and Fukutoshin trains since December. Waseda officials are busy preparing for more exam-takers, saying, "The number of students who commute from their families' homes in the metropolitan area has been increasing. The connected train lines will give the impression that Waseda is an easy commute and once accessibility is cleared, the school's curriculum becomes more of the focus."

Aoyama Gakuin University located near Shibuya Station is aiming to attract exam-takers from northern Tokyo and Saitama Prefecture. The university used to separate students into different campuses depending on their academic year, but from this spring, liberal arts students will study at the Aoyama campus for their entire 4-year college careers. "We welcome the joint line operations, as Shibuya becomes an increasingly attractive city thanks to redevelopment efforts," said a university official.

Gakushuin University -- located close to the Fukutoshin Line's Zoshigaya Station -- and other universities along the line are also promoting themselves through advertising. Keio University, near Toyoko's Hiyoshi Station on the other hand, is taking a more passive approach, stating, "Exam-takers from the Saitama area may increase but we are not thinking about anything special in terms of advertising."

According to Yoyogi Seminar, a major prep-school for entrance exams, the number of exam-takers from Kanagawa Prefecture aiming for Rikkyo and Waseda universities increased in October's trial exams. Moreover, Japan Railway Co. and Sagami Railway Co. are scheduled to join their train line services in the spring of 2015, and hope to attract more students from Kanagawa to schools in central Tokyo.

Yukiyo Sakaguchi, chief of the exam information center at Yoyogi Seminar, says, "With the decline in the birthrate and the recession, the number of students coming to live in Tokyo has decreased. Universities within the metropolitan area must compete for a limited number of exam-takers." Sakaguchi also points out that although "accessibility" has become a key factor for exam-takers when applying to schools, "only famous and competitive universities are likely to benefit from such a trend."

Rikkyo University's electric ad is seen at Yokohama Station in Yokohama's Nishi Ward in Kanagawa Prefecture. (Mainichi)
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:36 PM   #4575
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Hiroden pushes for elevated alignment into Hiroshima Station
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Sp201301190070.html

Looks like the leadership changes at Hiroden won’t affect this project too much after all. The other interesting tidbit here is that the president of JR West’s Hiroshima office has mentioned the possibility of bringing Hiroden trains directly into the station building. They will be replacing the station building anyways, so this will make transferring between JR and Hiroden a breeze if realized.
Great to see this and the cooperation between JR West and Hiroden makes sense. There is essentially zero competition between JR West and Hiroden in this part of town. They are entirely complementary services. JR has absolutely nothing to lose by bringing Hiroden directly into the station building.

Of course they compete fiercely with each other on the Miyajima line & with the ferry service to Miyajima. I always thought this must be why the services are poorly connected at Nishi Hiroshima, compared with the excellent integration at Yokogawa and even the current setup at Hiroshima station which isn't that bad. Hiroden doesn't want to lose any of its passengers via a transfer to JR and vice versa.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:59 PM   #4576
quashlo

Yeah, I don't think competition is a factor in this case... With the JR station located where it is, a lot of JR passengers will still rely on the trams to get to and from the center of the city.

With Hiroshima being a fairly popular destination, this project should be a big plus for tourists, too. I remember on my last trip when I arrived in Hiroshima by Shinkansen, it was cold and raining and I had to drag around my luggage. A fully-sheltered, fully-enclosed, level connection would fix a lot of the inconveniences for visitors.

I'm a bit curious what the terminal layout will look like in terms of tracks and platforms... Hiroden's current setup, with the crossover inside the station, looks far from ideal, to say the least.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:27 AM   #4577
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Universities look to take advantage of rail line expansion to attract more students
http://mainichi.jp/english/english/f...na008000c.html
Lets just say I know very well about "Project K".
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:05 AM   #4578
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11245

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Lets just say I know very well about "Project K".
Hehehe looks like the Fukutoshin Line through-service from Minato-Mirai, Tokyu Toyoko, Tobu Tojo, and Seibu Ikebukuro has a very positive side effect in terms of providing better commute options for students, and universities are taking that massive interconnection project into their own advantage. That indeed is one extremely positive externality that I have not seen before with a subway line extension and through service, and I hope that other countries can model Tokyo's extensive use of through-services to allow even more students (and commuters in general) to enjoy their commute between the city and suburbs.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:29 PM   #4579
quashlo

Realtime bus information displays coming to Ōsaka train stations
http://response.jp/article/2013/01/23/189393.html

Quote:
大阪府は、公共交通の乗り継ぎ改善(シームレス化)に向けた実証実験として、リアルタイムのバス運行情報を映すモニターを枚方市の駅や商業施設等に設置する。

実証実験は、リアルタイムのバス発車時刻情報や遅延情報を提供するモニターを京阪樟葉駅や商業施設等に設置することで、乗り継ぎ改善効果等を検証する。

今回設置するモニターは、京阪バスが搭載しているバスロケーションシステム(バス運行情報提供システム)と連動させることにより、リアルタイムのバス運行情報を提供できるようにしている。

実証実験は1月29日から3月31日までの予定で、モニターを京阪樟葉駅改札口付近、 くずはモール本館1階、極楽湯枚方店出入口付近に設置する。

This is a trial program to install a GPS-based realtime bus information display. Displays will be installed at the faregates to Keihan Kuzuha Station and two other locations in the surrounding vicinity, including inside the adjacent Kuzuha Mall.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:31 PM   #4580
quashlo

Shares of privatized Ōsaka Municipal Subway will remain assets of proposed special wards
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A120C1AC8000/

Quote:
 大阪市の橋下徹市長は22日、市営地下鉄が民営化してできる予定の市100%出資の新会社の株式について、大阪都構想で大阪府と市が統合し、市を特別区に再編した後は「特別区の保有資産にしたい」との方針を明らかにした。松井一郎大阪府知事とも合意済みという。同日の市議会委員会で答弁した。

市営地下鉄は主に市の資金で整備されたが、利用者は市民よりも市外の住民が多いため、都構想実現後の資産の帰属が注目されていた。

市議会などには「市の財産が都構想で都(府)側に吸収される」との懸念があったが、橋下市長は「市所有の株式は、市が特別区になれば区の資産になる」と明言。市は2015年度に市営地下鉄を民営化する方針。

都構想で市は5か7の特別区に再編される見通し。株式を各区に分割するか共同保有にするか、配当の扱いをどうするかは今後議論する。
This is partly related to the reorganization of Ōsaka Prefecture and Ōsaka City into a “special ward” government similar to the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government. The end result will be similar to what happened in Tōkyō, with the former city being divided into special wards, while most of the outer cities remain separate, but all under the metropolitan government. As in many cases, it all has to do with jurisdiction, and there was some worry that some of the outer cities would end up benefitting by getting to dip their hands into city-created assets (in this case, the subway).

In other related news, the first refurbished 66 series (Unit 66605F) for the Sakai-suji Line was delivered late last year after being transported to Alna Sharyō in June. It tested for a bit with Hankyū in December, and starting 2013.01.08, has been out testing on the Hankyū Line during the midday hours. Changes are mostly cosmetic , including head- and taillight replacement (now identical to Hankyū 9300 series and refurbished Hankyū 7300 series), conversion of destination signs to full-color LEDs (like the newest 30000 series trains on the subway), addition of skirts at the train ends, and changes to the interior similar to the 30000 series.

Night-time testing on the Hankyū Line (2012.12.11):

Pulling out of the Hankyū yard at Shōjaku for some midday testing (2013.01.10):

Northridge liked this post