daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #4661
Hegemonic

Likes (Received): 366

An old one I know.

Is there only one track on this line,

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
JR Ryōmō Line in Isesaki City elevated
http://mainichi.jp/area/gunma/news/2...40141000c.html

The night of the switchout (2010.05.29):
Source: http://natukusanosenro.way-nifty.com/

As a result of the switchout, some nighttime runs or portions of runs were cancelled and replaced with bus service. Isesaki is a small city in Gunma on the outskirts of Greater Tōkyō, but there was still lots to see for railfans.

At the ground-level platforms at Isesaki Station, waiting for the last trains: the 22:00 inbound departure for Takasaki (484M) and 22:13 outbound departure for Oyama (491M).

Train 484M arrives at Platform 1, a four-car 107 series train. Up above, you can see the elevated platforms which are getting ready to enter service the next day.

Train 491M arrives.

A 5-car 211 series, the last train at the ground-level platforms departs.

Construction workers milling about both inside and outside the station.

The current station building at Isesaki Station was built in 1934, but will now be demolished with the opening of the elevated station.

In the midst of open fields and a light rain, a team of workers hussle to remove the track ballast.

The following day:

A somewhat jarring site, seeing an old 115 series train on tests running along a sparkling new elevated viaduct. Now that the tracks have been elevated, they will remove the grade crossing and fix up the roadway.

Thirty minutes before the first train, outside the North Exit of the new elevated station. This is the JR part of the station.

Another test train from the other direction.

North Exit of the new station building, as the test train passes through the station behind the glass. The station is now modernized and completely barrier-free.

The elevated platforms are seven cars long. Here, the first train arrives—420M, an inbound train heading for Takasaki, operated as a 5-car 211 series train.

The platforms are crowded with construction workers. One of them, on a ladder, adjusts the angle of the conductor’s surveillance monitor.

The 115 series test train has returned in the other direction…

Moving to the outbound platform, as train 3425M, a four-car 107 series and the first outbound train, arrives. Because of the switchout, this train was also a bit delayed.

Moving to the South Exit, across what was the former ground-level JR station only last night.

One final look at the new JR ticketing hall.

The final set:

The old station building and its tenants, including a popular noodle house, are now shuttered.

Moving to the west switchout point.

The second outbound train on the elevated track was 429M, a five-car 211 series bound for Kiryū, followed by this inbound train, 424M bound for Takasaki, a three-car 115 series train.

Finally, another 115 series terminating at Isesaki.

Elevation of the Tōbu Isesaki Line tracks will now kick into full gear, along with demolition of the old station building and construction of the new South Exit.
Hegemonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #4662
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Is there only one track on this line,
The Ryomo Line is mainly single track, except for some sections of double track, predominantly the last section in the Maebashi/Takasaki area.

Hegemonic liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #4663
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

MLIT OKs steam locomotive service on Aonami Line
http://response.jp/article/2013/01/30/189986.html

Quote:
国土交通省中部運輸局は1月28日、名古屋臨海高速鉄道が申請していた事業基本計画の変更を1月18日付けで認可したと発表した。2月16・17日に実施される蒸気機関車けん引列車(SL列車)の実験運転に伴う、鉄道事業法上の手続き。

同社が運営している西名古屋港線(愛称「あおなみ線」)は、名古屋~金城ふ頭間15.2キロの全線が直流1500Vで電化されており、旅客列車は4両編成の1000形電車で運転されている。また、名古屋~荒子(名古屋貨物ターミナル)間4.3キロではJR貨物が名古屋臨海高速鉄道から線路を借りて貨物列車を運転しており、電気機関車のほかディーゼル機関車も同線に乗り入れている。このため、事業基本計画上の動力は、名古屋~荒子間が電気と内燃の併用、荒子~金城ふ頭間が電気とされていた。

しかし、あおなみ線の活性化策としてSL列車を運転することになったことから、同線の事業基本計画を変更する必要が生じ、名古屋臨海高速鉄道は名古屋~荒子間の動力として蒸気を追加する申請を行っていた。

今回の認可により、あおなみ線は名古屋~荒子(名古屋貨物ターミナル)間のみ蒸気機関車の運転が可能となった。SL列車の愛称は『SLあおなみ号』で、2月16・17日に運転する予定。両日とも3往復で、名古屋駅を9時50分、11時37分、13時22分に発車し、名古屋貨物ターミナル駅で折り返して名古屋駅に戻る。名古屋貨物ターミナル駅では蒸気機関車の転回ができないことから、12系客車3両編成の名古屋貨物ターミナル方に蒸気機関車(C56形)、名古屋方にディーゼル機関車(DE10形)を連結する。このため、名古屋発の往路は蒸気機関車が先頭に立つが、復路はディーゼル機関車が先頭になる。

1往復の所要時間は約1時間25~28分。『SLあおなみ号』試乗者の募集は終了しているが、ささしまライブ24地区(あおなみ線ささしまライブ駅から徒歩1分)と九重地区(近鉄名古屋線黄金駅から徒歩5分)に観覧場所が設けられる。
An interesting development for an interesting line… The electrified 15.2 km Aonami Line (Nagoya – Kinjō Futō) operates primarily passenger service, but there is a shared 4.3 km section with freight between Nagoya and Arako, used by trains (hauled by diesel locomotives) coming to and from Nagoya Freight Terminal. In terms of passenger numbers, the Aonami Line has not been doing so well, so one of the proposals to increase ridership was to run a steam locomotive service on the line, generating a sort of synergy with JR Central’s railway museum located at Kinjō Futō.

This latest approval allows them to do a few trial SL runs between Nagoya and Arako. The test train will actually include both the a C56 steam locomotive (at the south end) and a DE10 diesel locomotive (at the north end) because there is no turntable at Nagoya Freight Terminal and Japan doesn’t do push operations.

HD cab view on the Aonami Line from Nagoya to Kinjō Futō:

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #4664
quashlo

Seaside Line will be extended to Kanazawa Hakkei Station
http://news.kanaloco.jp/localnews/article/1301300003/

Quote:
 現在は約220メートル離れている金沢シーサイドラインと京急線の金沢八景駅(横浜市金沢区)が、2016年度にも直結することになった。政府は29日に決定した13年度予算案に、駅舎を橋上化するための経費(事業費補助)を計上。横浜市などが行う同ラインの延伸工事などとあわせ、一体化に向けた取り組みが進んでいく。

国土交通省などによると、同ラインの金沢八景駅はもともと、京急の駅と近接する予定だった。しかし、1986年に都市計画決定された駅周辺の土地区画整理事業の進展が遅れたため、89年に現在の位置で暫定的に開業した。

国道16号を横断するなどしないと乗り継ぎができない状況が続いていたが、2010年に具体的な区画整理事業に着工するなど準備が整ったため、13年度から駅周辺の一体的な改善事業に取りかかることになった。

同ラインは京急側に向かい、約200メートル延伸する予定。10~20メートルの位置に近づく両駅の間には自由通路をつくる。現在の両駅の間にあたる地域には、バスターミナルなどの駅前広場を整備する方針。

事業費は、区画整理が91億円、延伸が63億円、橋上化が22億円。京急の駅の西側で横浜市大とつながっている通路も拡幅する予定という。

また、政府の13年度予算案には、JR関内駅北口のバリアフリー化などに向けた経費も盛り込まれた。事業費は40億円。横浜市などとともに、段差の解消、エレベーターや保育施設の新設などに取り組んでいく。

シーサイドラインの延伸計画
This is a small extension (approx. 220 m) of the Yokohama New Transit Kanazawa Seaside Line to bring it to the original planned location adjacent to Kanazawa Hakkei Station on the Keikyū Main Line. The extension could be completed as soon as FY2016, and would also involve construction of a platform bridge and elevated concourse at the Keikyū Station.

If you remember, the Seaside Line opened with a temporary terminal at Kanazawa Hakkei Station because of delays in the redevelopment plans for the surrounding area. As a result, passengers transferring between the two lines have had to cross National Route 16 on foot when moving between the two stations, but the situation will now be remedied by constructing the terminus at the original planned location next to the Keikyū station, with a short passage connecting the two. There has also been progress on redevelopment plans for the surrounding area, with the land readjustment process starting in 2010. The area between the existing stations will also be improved, and will include a bus terminal.

Total project cost includes ¥9.1 billion for the land readjustment, ¥6.3 billion for the extension, and ¥2.2 billion for the improvements at the Keikyū station. The passage at the west end of the Keikyū station connecting to Yokohama City University will also be widened.
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #4665
quashlo

Passenger test train operates on Tōkaidō Freight Line
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...2010010-n1.htm

Quote:
 JR東海道線などに並行し臨海部を走る東海道貨物支線の貨客併用化を目指す「併用化整備検討協議会」は30日、調査列車を運行した。調査列車には学識者や周辺自治体の関係者ら約320人が乗車、実現に向けた検討を進める。

同支線は生産流通拠点が集積する横浜、川崎、東京の臨海部を通る貨物路線で、国内最大の鉄道コンテナ輸送量を誇っている。東海道線などの混雑緩和策に加え、「京浜臨海部ライフイノベーション国際戦略総合特区」や「羽田空港跡地」など沿線開発への期待が高まったことで、調査列車を初めて運行した。

東京貨物ターミナル(東京都品川区)~品川駅(港区)、浜川崎駅(川崎市川崎区)~東高島駅(横浜市神奈川区)の2区間計約15キロに新線を整備する計画もある。

今回の調査列車は茅ケ崎駅(茅ケ崎市)を出発、貨物専用の横浜羽沢駅(横浜市神奈川区)、浜川崎駅を通過、東京貨物ターミナルで折り返し、関内駅(横浜市中区)に到着した。

同乗した黒岩祐治知事は「新線整備は(4千億円もの)莫大(ばくだい)な事業費がかかる。既存ルートでも十分メリットがあり、そこから検討を進めたい」と話した。

貨客併用化に向け川崎貨物駅付近を走行する調査列車=川崎市川崎区
On 2013.01.30, a working group tasked with studying the potential for shared freight and passenger service on the Tōkaidō Freight Line operated a test train carrying 320 passengers from Chigasaki Station to Kannai Station via Yokohama Hazawa Station (freight terminal and site of a future passenger station on the Sōtetsu–JR Link) and Hama-Kawasaki Station, turning back at Tōkyō Freight Terminal.

If you remember, the Transport Policy Council under the MLIT has recommended studying passenger service for this freight line (the busiest freight line in Japan) from central Tōkyō (Shinagawa) to Yokohama (Takashima Station), pending progress on development along the Keihin Industrial Belt, including the Keihin Waterfront Life Innovation Strategic Economic Zone and various plans for reuse of Haneda Airport.

Not-so-great-quality window view on the test ride courtesy of Kanaloco (Hama-Kawasaki → Kawasaki Freight Terminal → Tōkyō Freight Terminal):

k.k.jetcar liked this post
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #4666
DoctorWunderlich

Likes (Received): 0

I rode the entire Seaside line starting at Kanazawa Seaside last September, it was a great ride because I had a seat in the front and great views. Will they close the old terminal station or keep it?
DoctorWunderlich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:46 AM   #4667
quashlo

Close it. It was built as a temporary facility anyways... If you look at it on Google Earth, you can see that it's a single-track terminal, and the platform was built right where the second track needs to go for the extension, so it can't really be salvaged without completely redesigning the station. It would also be way too close to the new terminal to be of any use… There are much more creative ways to re-use the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Question on the Asakusa Line rail bypass for Haneda—Narita: should that happen in the near future, will the trains used on the line be similar to the ones used today (owned by JR), or will it be something else?
It’s a bypass for the Asakusa Line, so it will likely use the same stock (Keisei + Keikyū + Hokusō and potentially Toei Subway)… JR isn’t involved.

Quote:
Also, if that's to materialize, what do you predict will be the estimated time savings for using the bypass?
It’s in the article…
Travel time between Tōkyō Station and Narita Airport will be 36 minutes (17 minutes faster than JR) and same as Skyliner service from Nishi-Nippori.
Travel time between Tōkyō Station and Haneda Airport will be 18 minutes (9 minutes faster than currently).

Quote:
I hope subway-style trains will also be used on that service so that commuters can have a choice whether to ride the limited express trains (similar to the E259 on the Narita Express) or a regular commuter or subway-style train.
I would expect most Skyliner services to be diverted to the bypass via the Keisei Oshiage Line instead of to Keisei Ueno via the Keisei Main Line, as Tōkyō is a far more important terminal than Ueno. In that regard, we should definitely see both limited expresses and regular commuter EMUs on the bypass.

Last edited by quashlo; January 31st, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:14 AM   #4668
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Passenger test train operates on Tōkaidō Freight Line
An intriguing plan. It would provide a parallel relief route to the Tokaido Line in the Keihin corridor, and also provide a more or less direct JR link to Haneda A.P. from Shinagawa and Yokohama. The following article gives more info:

Quote:
東海道線の混雑緩和や京浜臨海部の活性化に向けた動きが出ている。海側を並行して走る東海道貨物支線を横浜市中心部まで延伸し、東京都臨海部を結んで旅客列車を運行する構想だ。県や東京都など6自治体でつくる「東海道貨物支線貨客併用化整備検討協議会」は30日、初めて有識者による現地調査を実施、既存区間で電車を運行した。調査に同行した。(矢吹美貴、藤亮平)

午後1時半、茅ヶ崎市のJR茅ヶ崎駅から学識経験者や沿線企業の関係者ら約320人が団体列車に乗り込んだ。横浜市のJR鶴見駅から東海道貨物支線に入ると、臨海部の工場の合間を縫うように走行する。東京貨物ターミナル駅で折り返し、帰りはみなとみらいなど開発地区を通り、JR関内駅に到着した。車内で実施されたアンケートでは、参加者から「企業や研究所の誘致や発展にもつながる」などと好意的な意見が寄せられた。

県道路企画課によると、構想ではJR桜木町駅(横浜市中区)から品川駅(東京都港区)と東京臨海高速鉄道東京テレポート駅(同江東区)までを結ぶ。総延長33キロのうち18キロは、東海道貨物支線などを利用し、残る15キロを新設する。天空橋駅(同大田区)や川崎市川崎区塩浜付近に新駅を建設し、貨物駅には旅客ホームなどを整備する。総事業費は約4000億円と見込まれる。

JR東日本横浜支社によると、東海道線は通勤時間帯は、3分間隔の過密ダイヤとなっている。貨物支線の併用で改善するほか、京浜臨海部の活性化も図る狙いだ。同協議会は2000年、国の運輸政策審議会が、併用化について「15年を目標に整備について検討すべきだ」と答申したことを受けて発足、これまで沿線の開発動向調査や広報活動をしてきた。ただ事業採算性や経済効果については明確な試算はない。事業主体についても全く決まっていない。

同支線は、貨物列車が1日に最大125本運行されている。首都圏の貨物輸送で基幹的な役割を果たしており、旅客列車を走らせるにはダイヤの調整が不可欠となる。同乗した屋井鉄雄・東京工業大教授は「横浜、羽田空港、東京と拠点をつなぐのは重要だが、スピードが速くなくてはいけない。貨物もこれから増やす必要がある」と述べ、併用化が難しいことを指摘した。

同課は「今回のアンケート結果や意見を分析し、判断材料にしたい」としている。
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/kan...OYT8T01671.htm

Some notes:
-The proposed route would be from Shinagawa Sta. to Sakuragicho Sta., with a branch going to Tokyo Teleport Sta. Total route length would be 33km, with 18km being the existing Tokaido Freight Line and 15km being new line, the new bits being from Tokyo Freight Terminal to Shinagawa and Tokyo Teleport Sta., and from Hama Kawasaki to somewhere before Takashima Frt. Sta. Currently the freight line from Hama Kawasaki to Takashima takes a dog-leg route, which would slow down the schedule.

-Completely new stations would be built at Tenkubashi (Haneda A.P.) and in the Shiohama area in Kawasaki, and passenger platforms built at existing freight stations.

-Currently up to 125 freight trains traverse the freight line daily. A professor on the test ride, when asked to comment, emphasized the importance of a fast schedule between Tokyo (Shinagawa), Haneda, and Yokohama, and that the issue of integrating a passenger service with the existing freights will have to be tackled.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:27 AM   #4669
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 468

This is pretty exciting news, since it will help transform the mostly industrial Keihin Bayshore into an area where people would want to live (and rents will probably price me outta thinking about being there...)
I'll need to trace the route on Google Maps to get a feel for it, but I kinda know the area already. I have a few questions...
*So will the route totally miss Yokohama station completely and pass just to the east of it between Sakuragi-cho and Kawasaki-hama?
*Will/Can the Yokohama Line and Nambu Lines be able to through-service on some of the line? I could see a real convenience in a Shinagawa to Noborito route or Haneda to Shin-Yokohama (and points west) route too. In the case of the Yokohama line, a new Wye junction would need to be built I think...But the Nanbu line can interface with the proposed route by bypassing Kawasaki station after Shitte and using the Daishi part of its route more.

It's good to see JR thinking about using some more of it's freight only ROW for passenger traffic. They should think about using the Nambu Bypass Freight route as well, since the Kawasaki Subway got cancelled. JR routes freight between Yokohama and Chofu through a tunnel that runs parallel to the Nambu line roughly 1~3 kms south. It follows the route that was proposed for the Kawasaki High Speed Railway almost exactly. All they'd need to do is build stations along the alignment somehow--Exactly what was done to create the Musashino line a few decades ago. Make the stations themselves turn-outs off the mainline to give freight traffic a chance to pass. I'll draw up a little map later to illustrate my concept...But what do you guys think? If they extended the Musashino line into it while keeping the Nambu Line as-is, getting around Kawasaki could get a whole lot easier I think.

Just a thought.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:38 PM   #4670
quashlo

The working group has a website:
http://kakyaku.com/

I think some of the news reporters got some of the details wrong... The working group has a better map:
http://kakyaku.com/img/201206_toukai...nf_maponly.pdf

For one, the tunnel to Tōkyō Teleport is already built, as it's used by Rinkai Line trains to access their railyard next to Tōkyō Freight Terminal.

My first impression was surprise that they were proposing so much new infrastructure... They're bypassing the Tsurumi Line completely (I thought they would be able to at least use some of the infrastructure up to Bentenbashi), and they have it tying back into the existing tracks southeast of Nakakido Station (was originally expecting something near Shin-Koyasu Station). In hindsight, though, the project hinges entirely on area-wide redevelopment of all of those industrial parcels, so it makes sense to build a straighter, fully-grade separated alignment with the rest of the new infrastructure (roads, etc.) and buildings. Perhaps they will realign the Tsurumi Line between Bentenbashi and Hama-Kawasaki onto the new line once its complete... With the redevelopment, it's unlikely they will need all the excess branches and stations anyways, most of which are just used by commute-period Tsurumi Line runs to shuttle factory workers to and from Tsurumi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
*So will the route totally miss Yokohama station completely and pass just to the east of it between Sakuragi-cho and Kawasaki-hama?
That part of the line will use the existing freight alignment, which bypasses Yokohama Station completely. The tracks actually dive underground for a bit at the northern tip of Minato Mirai near Shin-Takashima Station (Minato Mirai Line), resurfacing near Takashimachō Station (Yokohama Municipal Subway Blue Line).

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Will/Can the Yokohama Line and Nambu Lines be able to through-service on some of the line? I could see a real convenience in a Shinagawa to Noborito route or Haneda to Shin-Yokohama (and points west) route too. In the case of the Yokohama line, a new Wye junction would need to be built I think...But the Nanbu line can interface with the proposed route by bypassing Kawasaki station after Shitte and using the Daishi part of its route more.
I would suspect the Yokohama Line is out of the question, although I think the Nambu Line would be a potential through-service. The other thing is that this could allow JR to divert some of the Negishi Line trains off the Keihin‒Tōhoku Line, which would give them more capacity between Sakuragichō and Higashi-Kanagawa and potentially allow them to extend more of the Yokohama Line services straight into Yokohama and Sakuragichō instead of the less-than-ideal setup they have at Higashi-Kanagawa currently.

starrwulfe liked this post
Old January 31st, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4671
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
It’s a bypass for the Asakusa Line, so it will likely use the same stock (Keisei + Keikyū + Hokusō and potentially Toei Subway)… JR isn’t involved.

It’s in the article…
Travel time between Tōkyō Station and Narita Airport will be 36 minutes (17 minutes faster than JR) and same as Skyliner service from Nishi-Nippori.
Travel time between Tōkyō Station and Haneda Airport will be 18 minutes (9 minutes faster than currently).

I would expect most Skyliner services to be diverted to the bypass via the Keisei Oshiage Line instead of to Keisei Ueno via the Keisei Main Line, as Tōkyō is a far more important terminal than Ueno. In that regard, we should definitely see both limited expresses and regular commuter EMUs on the bypass.
That would be very interesting to watch, especially if Toei Subway cars are used on this line as well for the local and rapid services.

Plus instead of nearly one hour, the Skyliner will cut down the journey to just around 40 minutes? That'll be great! It will finally have serious competition with the Narita Express... But price wise, will it be the same?

And I sense that with the bypass, even more commuter services will be mounted for passengers heading east of Tokyo Station, not just from Ueno Station. However, if the Skyliner will be transferred to Tokyo Station, what will Nippori Station get in return?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:53 PM   #4672
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 468

Toyoko/Fukutoshin Shibuya Connection: rapid changes being seen inside Shibuya subway station

With about 43 more days to go until March 16th and the start of interunning between Tokyo Metro's Fukutoshin line and Tokyu's Toyoko line, the pace seems to be picking up inside the 4 level subway station that will be the focus of the connection.

All the signs are being taken down and replaced with either temporary placeholders, or being covered up by black stickers in preparation of showing riders where the Toyoko Line platforms are.

This wall on the B4 level concourse had a full line map and the (F) Fukutoshin line symbol on it yesterday. Not anymore! It's temporarily covered in plastic awaiting [TY] Toyoko Line maps and signs.

This wall is at the north end of the same concourse. Just of camera are escalators for the platforms on either side. Notice the LCD signs on the right are showing info for both platforms, but the one on the left is out of service...for now. Also take a look at the sign on the wall. These were replaced yesterday evening I guess. The one on the right used to just say "to Fukutoshin Line with arrows pointing either direction. Now its blank...because there's a Toyoko line map under it! The one on the left shows an updated Fukutoshin line map...

close-up view of the new sign. Notice the use of the Tobu Tojo line's [TJ] and Seibu Ikebukuro line's [SI] symbols. I'm sure the other one to the right will have [TY] and [MM] on it...

Upstairs, things are getting hectic because they're adding more gates now...

This is at the Hikarie gate. notice the 2 white fences either side of the turnstiles. The Miyamasu gate just north of here also is getting the same treatment. Also notice the new LED sign too! (it's being adjusted, but underneath that black paper is a FULL COLOR LED display!)

there's black paper covering up the display but you can see white letters peeking out from the new LED displays as they test them. They're just replicating the signs already in place.

At the Main Gate opposite Exit 9. The Den'en-Toshi line stairs are right behind that column so they had to move the other LED sign for it to left of the one opposite the clock (and out of my frame.) The new sign in it's place is for the new Toyoko platforms and the one to the right of it is the existing Fukutoshin line display (out of frame.)
As you can see, they are testing this one too.

Let's step aboard the trains themselves now because they've been changing some stuff onboard too.

Tokyo Metro's 10000 series Passenger Information Displays (PID) are getting freshened graphics, and adding the new route icons for Seibu and Tobu railways.

Remember, the Yurakucho line shares rolling stock and part of it's route with the Fukutoshin line too.
top: This is what the rest of the route looks like on the PIDs.
bottom: Even though we're 2 stops away from Kotake-Mukaihara, this screen tells us if we meant to take the Seibu branch, we need to get off soon!

As are Tokyu's 5050 series and Yokohama Rapid Railway's Y500 series too. This update adds icons for Tokyu and Minato-Mirai line's new route icons. It looks like the PID in the 4000 series cars, but no snazzy animations here.

This one was taken onboard a Tokyo Metro 10000 series that is currently in testing on the Minato-Mirai and Toyoko Lines just this evening.

The pace is also picking up in the testing phase too. Sr. Horn asked about testing a few days ago; I learned that while you can't test the actual tracks that the trains will use to get between systems now, they are testing each individual trainset one-by-one as they get systems installed to allow for interlining. Here's over 13 minutes of testing footage along the Toyoko and Minato-Mirai lines for your enjoyment!
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:31 PM   #4673
quashlo

New trainsets to debut on Echizen Railway
http://response.jp/article/2013/01/31/190095.html

Quote:
国土交通省中部運輸局はこのほど、2月以降に導入される管内の新規車両を発表した。福井県のえちぜん鉄道では、7年ぶりの新規導入車両となる7000形が営業運転を開始する。

7000形は、2012年3月までJR東海の飯田線で使われていた119系電車をえちぜん鉄道が譲り受けて改造した。主電動機を直流モーターから交流モーターに、制御方式を抵抗制御からVVVFインバーターにそれぞれ変更し、回生・発電ブレーキ併用システムも導入した。また、前部標識灯や後部標識灯、客室灯、行先表示灯にLEDを採用し、メンテナンスコストや消費電力の削減を図る。

えちぜん鉄道は2003年、京福電気鉄道福井支社(京福福井)が運営していた鉄道路線を引き継いだ福井県の第三セクター鉄道。京福福井から引き継いだ車両と、経営移管後に導入した車両が運用されているが、京福福井から引き継いだ車両の老朽化に伴い7000形を導入することになった。今年度末までに2両編成3本を導入する計画で、このうち1本が2月から営業運転を開始する。
These are 2-car sets (dubbed the “7000 series”), secondhand 191 series trains from JR Central’s Iida Line and Echitetsu’s first new trains in seven years. In terms of changes, the trains were upgraded to VVVF inverters and the DC motors were switched out with AC motors, with a regenerative braking system. LEDs were also installed in all of the lighting systems to reduce maintenance costs and electricity consumption, and anti-UV film was installed on the windows.

A total of five 2-car sets will be introducted (three this fiscal year and two next fiscal year), replacing 10 older cars inherited from when the line was operated by the now defunct Keifuku Electric Railway which are over 50 years old now. As it’s a third-sector railway, funding for the ¥610 million purchase and refurbishment is being provided by the national and prefectural governments.

Being pushed into the car barn (2013.01.15):

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:32 PM   #4674
quashlo

Bikesharing trial for Kenkyū Gakuen, Tsukuba
http://ibarakinews.jp/news/news.php?...13596350468936

Quote:
自転車のまちづくりを進めるつくば市は1日から、つくばエクスプレス(TX)研究学園駅周辺で、携帯電話などを使った無人管理システムによるサイクルシェアリングの実証実験を始める。自転車利用の需要や2次交通手段としての有効性を探る。県内自治体では初の取り組み。

実証期間は28日まで。市民や市内に通勤通学する人を対象に実施する。専用駐輪場として、(1)市役所(2)研究学園駅(3)イーアスつくば(4)研究学園C街区(5)西部工業団地(科学万博記念公園停留所付近)-の5カ所を整備し、計30台の共用自転車を配備する。

返却先は貸し出し場所と異なる専用駐輪場でも可能で、利用者は無料で自由に使える。

利用するには、携帯サイトに氏名や住所、連絡先などの事前登録が必要。その上で、自転車後部に付けられたQRコードを携帯端末で読み取り、メールを送信すると自転車番号や開錠番号を受信できる仕組み。

返却時には、自転車に施錠した上で再びQRコードを読み取ってメールを送信する。

利用時間は午前7時から午後9時まで(イーアスつくばは午前9時〜午後9時)。当日利用のみで、利用時間は原則1回2時間。

市は2011年に「自転車のまちつくば行動計画」を策定し、低炭素化や健康増進を目的にサイクルシェアリングの導入を掲げていた。市独自の自転車利用ルールを定めた「市自転車安全利用条例」(仮称)制定の準備も進めている。

市の自転車利用施策をめぐっては、各庁舎や公民館などで約180台の自転車を無料で貸し出す「のりのり自転車」事業を00年度から始めたが、その後私物化やいたずらが多発し、100台を切るまで激減したため、04年度で事業廃止に追い込まれた。

今回のサイクルシェアリングでは、事前登録や週1回の開錠番号の変更などで、私物化・盗難対策を図る。市原市長は「最終的には研究学園駅を中心に市内全域での取り組みに広げていければ」としている。問い合わせは市交通政策課TEL029(883)1111。

【写真説明】自転車に取り付けられたQRコードを携帯端末で読み取ると、開錠番号が記されたメールが届く=つくば市役所
This is an unstaffed, one-month bikesharing trial for Kenkyū Gakuen Station and the surrounding neighborhood in Tsukuba City. A total of 30 bikes are placed at five locations in the area, and anyone can borrow them for free as long as they sign up with the program. This one is a bit interesting, though, as it uses QR codes… To take out a bike, you pick a bike at the station and scan the QR code with a mobile phone and send an email out. You will receive a reply with the bike number and password to unlock the bike. To return a bike, you scan the QR code and send another email back. Apparently, Tsukuba City tried a free 180-bike program back in FY2000, but there were some problems with people keeping the bikes.
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:33 PM   #4675
quashlo

Some rush hour scenes from YouTube user naha478

Evening rush at Shinsaibashi Station on the Midōsuji Line (2012.12.27).

Morning rush at Awaji on the Hankyū Kyōto Line and Senri Line (2012.12.27):

Morning rush at Nishiharu on the Meitetsu Inuyama Line (2013.01.07):

Morning rush at Ueno Station (2013.01.24), the most crowded section of the Yamanote Line and Keihin–Tōhoku Line. Most of the passengers transferring are coming from the Utsunomiya Line, Takasaki Line ,and Jōban Rapid Line.

Northridge liked this post
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:34 PM   #4676
quashlo

Fascinating video of passenger flows into and out of central Tōkyō on the day of the Great East Japan Earthquake (2011.03.11). It’s actually flows of people, based on GPS data from mobile phones, but the rail corridors are quite obvious. Can easily identify the morning rush, the dead-stop in the immediate aftermath, the slow trickle outward in the hours following as people are forced to use slower means of travel (by car, on foot, or by bike), and the pulsed discharge of passengers well past midnight and even into the following morning after train service was reinstated on some lines.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:53 AM   #4677
quashlo

Mitsubishi Electric tests use of regenerative braking to power station building systems
http://business.nikkeibp.co.jp/artic...130131/243087/

Quote:
 三菱電機は、鉄道車両がブレーキをかけた時の回生電力を駅で利用する実験で省エネ効果を実証した。東京メトロ東西線の西船橋駅(千葉県船橋市)地下にある西船橋変電所に「駅舎補助電源装置(S-EIV)」と呼ぶ専用機器の実証機を設置して行い、同駅の消費電力量を1日あたり約600kWh削減した。4月から製品として供給する予定にしている。

鉄道車両のブレーキ時の回生電力は通常、近くを走行する車両が使用するが、消費しきれない余剰電力を駅舎補助電源装置を通して駅の電気設備に供給する。実験では、車両で発生する回生電力を架線から駅舎補助電源装置に取り込み、駅の照明、空調、エレベーター、エスカレーターなどに利用して電力量を測定。省エネ効果や整合性を調べた。

駅舎補助電源装置で変換した電力によって、2012年10月18日~11月29日の期間に測定した平均値で1日約600kWhを活用できた。600kWhは、約40kW分を15時間稼働した際の数値で、西船橋駅の15時間分の消費電力を約16%補完した。実験前にシミュレーションした通りの結果になり、回生電力を問題なく駅の電気設備に供給できることも確認した。

実験で省エネの有効性を実証したことを受け、駅舎補助電源装置を製品にして展開する。S-EIVは、ステーション・エネルギー・セービング・インバーターの頭文字で、ステーションのS、エネルギーのE、インバーターのIVから取った。駅舎補助電源装置は、三菱電機が総合的に進める鉄道のエネルギー管理・省エネ事業の一環で開発した。
Official press release:
http://www.mitsubishielectric.co.jp/...b.html?cid=rss

This was a test of their auxiliary power equipment for railway stations (branded “S-EIV”), starting August 2012 at the underground Nishi-Funabashi transformer station on the Tōkyō Metro Tōzai Line. Power generated through regenerative braking systems on trains is typically used by adjacent trains, but can be wasted if there’s nothing drawing power. This new Mitsubishi Electric equipment takes the excess power and converts it for use to power station building systems including lighting, HVAC, and mechanical (escalators / elevators). The test showed that the equipment was able provide about 600 kWh over the course of a day, reducing the energy consumption of Nishi-Funabashi Station by about 16% over a 15-hour period. Mitsubishi Electric plans to begin offering the equipment for purchase on the market starting in April.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:55 AM   #4678
quashlo

Takamatsu City “compact eco-city” committee proposes Kotoden double-tracking, three new stations
http://www.shikoku-np.co.jp/kagawa_n...20110202000121

Quote:
 琴電を中心とした地域公共交通の利便性向上と結節性強化に向けた「地域公共交通総合連携計画」の素案がまとまり、1日、香川県庁であった「ことでん活性化協議会」(会長・土井健司香川大工学部教授)の第5回会合で示された。住民らの要望が強い三条~太田駅間(香川県高松市)などに新駅を設置することや、バスと電車の発車時刻の相互提供などによる乗り継ぎ改善で、利用者増を図る。

計画は、2月中旬から下旬に募集するパブリックコメントを取り入れ、3月上旬に最終案を審議。本年度内に国に提出する。

計画案によると、ハード面の整備は4カ所。高速バスとの接続などで利用者増が見込まれる三条~太田駅間と住民ニーズが強い花園~林道駅間(高松市)、大型商業施設が集中する陶~滝宮駅間(綾川町)に新駅を設けるなどして利用を拡大させることや、高松市民病院の移転を視野に仏生山駅(同市)にパーク&ライド駐車場や駅前広場を設置する。

ソフト面では、琴電バス以外のバス会社と共通のICカードを導入▽沿線の各市町が運行するコミュニティーバスとの乗り継ぎ改善▽午後9時台の運行本数を全線とも現在の2本から3本に増便▽駅やバス停に電車、バス相互の時刻表を掲示―などで利用者の利便性向上を図る。
The committee proposed double-tracking of the Kotohira Line between Sanjō and Ōta, as well as new stations at the following locations:
  • Between Sanjō and Ōta on the Kotohira Line (expected to be high demand from passengers transferring with express buses)
  • Between Ōta and Busshōzan on the Kotohira Line
  • Between Hanazono and Hayashimichi on the Nagao Line (expected to be high demand from local residents)
Other proposed improvements include streamlining transfers between buses and trains and constructing park-and-ride facilities and a station plaza at Busshōzan Station (the Takamatsu City’s general hospital will be relocating there).

In other Kotoden news, the national government has earmarked money in its FY2013 budget for construction of the new Kotoden station between Sue and Takinomiya, so it looks like this will be moving forward soon:
http://www.shikoku-np.co.jp/kagawa_n...20130130000071

2012 clips of “retro” trains on the Kotoden:

A BS Asahi program about railway tourism (this particular episode is about Takamatsu and the Kotoden). Not great quality, but interesting if you can understand Japanese. Kotoden is pretty popular among railfans.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:56 AM   #4679
quashlo

Nara City to expand Yamato Saidaiji Station North Exit station plaza
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...2180004-n1.htm

Quote:
 奈良市は1日、近鉄大和西大寺駅北口の駅前広場を、現在の2倍の面積に拡大整備する方針を明らかにした。平成31年春に完成する予定。

駅北口には平成17年、約2千平方メートルの駅前広場が整備されたが、車の乗降スペースが少なく、渋滞などの問題が指摘されていた。

市によると、駅前広場を現在から南東側に約2千平方メートル拡大。周辺道路を拡幅し、中央分離帯を設けるほか、横断歩道も付け替える。事業費は約41億円。

駅北口の整備事業は昭和63年に始まり、当初は駅前広場のほか、地上8階・地下2階のビル建設なども予定していた。

しかし、ビルの入居者などが決まらず、平成10年に計画が中止されていた。
Nara City wants to double the size of the existing station plaza at the North Exit of the station, a major junction on the Kintetsu network. Completion would be scheduled for spring 2019.

The current 2,000 sq m station plaza at the North Exit was constructed in 2005, but lacks space for private automobiles, resulting in some traffic congestion. This expansion would add another 2,000 sq m of area at the southeast end of the plaza and include widening adjacent roads, constructing medians, and change to pedestrian access. Total project cost is ¥4.1 billion.

Clips (8x speed) at Yamato Saidaiji (2011.06.05):

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:58 AM   #4680
quashlo

Kokubunji Station North Exit redevelopment to break ground in March 2015
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/tok...OYT8T01799.htm

Quote:
 国分寺市が事業主となって進めている国分寺駅北口再開発事業について、同市は31日、市に代わってビルの建築などを行う「特定建築者」の公募を2月から開始し、2015年に着工すると発表した。計画の決定以降も、財政難による延期や、採算性を巡る議会との対立など多くの懸案を抱えていた事業だが、都市計画決定から23年の時を経て、ようやく本格始動することになった。

民間デベロッパーなどの特定建築者には、ビルの建築のほか、販売の対象となる商業用スペースや居住スペースを買い取った上で、処分することが求められている。市にとっては、「保留床」と呼ばれるこれらのスペースが売れ残った場合に負担を負わなくて済むことがメリットだ。

公募に応じた事業者には、保留床の買い取り価格や、商業スペースの運営方針を提案してもらい、有識者などでつくる選定委員会で審査した上で、5月に決定する。15年3月に着工し、17年11月の完成を目指す。

再開発の対象は北口駅前の約2・1ヘクタール。東側には住宅と店舗が入る31階建てのビルを、西側には住宅や店舗、公益施設が入る33階建てのビルを建築することが予定されている。総事業費は約448億円で、うち市の負担分は約198億円。

北口再開発事業は、市街地の活性化を目的に1990年に都市計画が決定された。しかし、バブル崩壊による景気の後退や市の財政難などを背景に、長らく凍結状態が続いていた。

2009年5月に都から事業計画の認可を受けたが、その後も「採算がとれるのか」といった指摘が議会で相次ぎ、需要の高い居住スペースを増やすなど、事業計画の変更を余儀なくされていた。30日、特定建築者公募の前提となる権利変換計画の認可を都から受けたという。
The mixed-use redevelopment (retail, residential, and community facilities) covers 2.1 ha at the North Exit of the station and consists of 31- and 33-story towers. The project will also include a complete redesign of the station plaza at the North Exit. Total project cost is approx. ¥44.8 billion. Completion is scheduled for November 2017.

Render:
Source: Kokubunji City