daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #4761
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

I was thrilled when I found out I had the opportunity to go to Osaka. When I was asked if I wanted to fly, I said I very much wanted to take the Shinkansen, which my Japanese hosts were very pleased to hear.

This is a contemporary postcard shot, it's not mine (nor does it have copyright):

Almost the right time of year too, but I was there about 2-3 weeks before the cherry blossom time.
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #4762
smithrh

These looked absolutely modern and cutting edge at the time, now not so much...

ko7 liked this post
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #4763
smithrh

Northridge liked this post
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #4764
smithrh

When people would ask me if the trains really ran on time, I'd show them this shot and say "I set my watch by when the train started to move."

Old February 11th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #4765
smithrh

A few shots from the Shinkansen. I was 100% sure these wouldn't turn out, given how fast the train was moving, but they did turn out.

Old February 11th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #4766
smithrh

ko7 liked this post
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #4767
smithrh

Old February 11th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #4768
smithrh

Just a note, yes, some of these probably belong in the other thread but I'm on a roll, and I figure most people that are interested are keeping up with both threads.

Old February 11th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #4769
smithrh

Note to prospective visitors to Japan - yes, there's quite a lot of english signage around, and it's really very easy to get around.

But every once in a while, you'll get no english at all:

Old February 11th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #4770
smithrh

More Yamanote-sen.

Old February 11th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #4771
smithrh

To close out the photos (I am still looking for a few more that I thought I had), imagine my surprise when I saw this:

Clearly there's some maritime skill in Japan!
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #4772
hakubi

Likes (Received): 0

0, 100, and 200 series shinkansen, and a 221 at Kyoto when it was still at the top of the food chain, and no Kyoto station building, awesome. Thank you for posting.
hakubi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #4773
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

@smithrh Wonderful historical shots! Now I understand the evolution of the early Shinkansen trains and the older commuter trains... sorry though that many of your shots were botched. Hopefully, you share more of those when you can. Well done though on what you got!

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #4774
Minato ku

The picture of Tokyo station without the elevated Chuo line platforms !
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #4775
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Nice photos.
Didn't know Yamanote line had the 6 door cars back then.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #4776
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 467

Wow...
This is very historic. Makes me wish I could post my circa 2000 pictures of Osaka station and the Hankyu lines... but they're in an album at my mom's house in Atlanta, 8000 miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
Nice photos.
Didn't know Yamanote line had the 6 door cars back then.
Yep and most of those old Yamanote trains are still in use on the Saikyo line. Until next year when they're due to be replaced with E233s.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #4777
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Tokyu Toyoko line 9000 Series trains receiving "Last Run" headmarks
You tube user 8M2T recently posted some scenes between Myorenji and Kikuna of these trains:

*this stretch of the Toyoko Line (between Kikuna and Hakuraku) is my favorite portion of the route- it still preserves the old Toyoko Line atmosphere of a familiar train running through pleasant residential Yokohama neighborhoods (including numerous grade crossings), rather than over or under them.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #4778
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Higashi-Murayama City earmarks money for Seibu grade-separation
http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/to...902000098.html

Quote:
 西武線東村山駅周辺の交通渋滞を緩和する計画が本格化する。駅周辺を連続立体交差(高架化)する都の事業の地元負担金として、東村山市は新年度当初予算案に九千百万円を盛り込んだ。府中街道と西武新宿線が交わる久米川第2号踏切をはじめ、高架化で五つの踏切をなくす。いずれも朝夕の渋滞が激しい。

駅周辺の線路四・五キロを高架にする事業。都は二〇一三年度に国の認可を得て、二四年度までの十二年間をかけて行う。一三年度は、用地取得を中心に進める。昨年十月の都市計画決定後、市の予算計上は初めて。渡部尚市長は八日の予算発表会見で「人も車もよどみなく行き来できる、風通しの良いまちにしていきたい」と意気込みを語った。

総事業費六百十億円のうち、市は七十五億円を負担する。さらに、市単独での道路整備も計画し、持ち出しは百億円規模になる。これらの財源に充てる基金を新たにつくるため、負担金とは別に五千万円を一三年度予算案で積む。

一三年度はこのほか、七三(昭和四十八)年建築の市役所本庁舎の耐震化に向けた工事方法を検討する。市内の官民の保育園や児童クラブなど八十カ所にPHSを導入し、大地震時にも連絡しあえるよう備える。 (大平樹)
This is for the grade-separation (elevation) of Higashi-Murayama Station in western Tōkyō, a major junction in the Seibu network of the Seibu Shinjuku Line and two minor lines (Seibu-en Line and Kokubunji Line). The ¥61 billion project will elevate 4.5 km of track around the station and eliminate a total of five grade crossings, including Kumegawa Crossing No. 2 (Fuchū Kaidō) on the Shinjuku Line. Approvals from the national government will come in FY2013, and the construction work will last for 12 years until FY2024. The project lead is the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government, and this particular earmark of ¥90 million is the first segment of the local funding share from Higashi-Murayama City (¥7.5 billion total), to be used for land acquisition.

Weekday early afternoon action at Higashi-Murayama (2012.11.16).
This is a fairly large station, (3 platforms and 6 tracks).

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #4779
quashlo

Perceptions of crush loading on trains from foreigners living in Tōkyō
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/02/11/033/

Quote:
都会で暮らす人なら、一度は感じたことがあるであろう満員電車のストレス。外国人のみなさんはどのように感じているのでしょうか? 日本の満員の通勤電車に乗って感じたこと、また、母国でも日本と同様なのか、日本に住む外国人20人に聞いてみました。

■母国は日本ほどではないと思います(イギリス/男性/40代前半)

■缶詰めの魚みたいにギュウギュウに詰められてます。母国にもあります(タイ/女性/30代後半)

■朝からギュウギュウに詰められて電車に乗るのはおかしいと思う。母国で日本のように急激に満員になるのはストライキの時くらいです(フランス/女性/20代後半)

人口密度が缶詰のようだと悲鳴が! タイにも朝の満員電車はあるけれど、日本の電車の混雑具合には驚きを隠せない様子です。動画サイトで公開された駅員さんが乗客を車内に押し込む光景が、外国人の間で話題になりました。駅員さんだけでなく、押し込む専門の人が存在しているというのがさらに、「満員電車はクレイジー!」と感じさせるようです。

■みんなよく我慢できるなぁ! 母国は日本ほどではない。人口が少ないし、公共交通機関にお金を入れているから(デンマーク/女性/50代前半)

■かなり混みますが、みんなよく我慢できているな。ニューヨークだとあるかもしれませんが、僕の出身地には電車すらほとんどないです(アメリカ/男性/20代後半)

これはやはりもう慣れですね。もしくは心頭滅却するしかありません。デンマークの首都・コペンハーゲンは、人口やスマートな公共交通機関とならび、自転車通勤通学者が多いことも電車混雑の緩和に一役買っています。日本でも増えつつありますが、道路やそのほか施設の自転車環境が整えば、もっと本格的に自転車通勤者が増えるかもしれませんね。

■非常に混んでいて、乗っている人の健康に悪いかもしれないと思います。母国では車で通勤する人が多いので、日本のように混んでいないと思います(ギリシャ/男性/30代前半)

具合の悪いお客さまが……という車内アナウンス、よく聞きますよね。実際、気持ちが悪くなることもありますし、なにより精神的によくないです。いずれ健康を害することだってあるかもしれないです。日本でも東京などの都心部以外では車通勤が多く、日本人でも慣れない人が満員電車に乗れば、外国人のみなさんと同じような感想を持ちそうですね。

■電車はたくさん来るのに、それよりもっとたくさんの人が乗るのにびっくりした。大嫌い。母国では人があんなにくっついて乗らない(マリ/男性/30代前半)

見知らぬ人とパーソナルスペースも何も関係なく密着していると思うと、やはりおかしなことのように思えるのですが、電車は混んでいるから仕方ない、という概念があればさほど気にならないというこの不思議。

■人が多いが、電車に遅れが少ないので便利です。母国ではラッシュアワーでも、東京より電車に乗っている人が少ないと思います(ロシア/女性/20代前半)

毎朝5分、10分は遅れていますが、これは遅れているうちに入りません。それでも「この電車はただいま5分の遅れをもって……」とアナウンスが入ります。できるだけ予定通りに運行するぞ、という鉄道マンの意気込みを感じます!

■人が多いですが、みんなマナーをちゃんと守っているので平気だと感じています。母国でもあります(インドネシア/男性/30代前半)

そうですね、おおむね静かなものですね。それにしてもこちらの方、平気とは……さすがです! インドネシアのジャカルタ行きの満員電車は、日本どころではありません。車両に入りきらない人々が車両の上に登ったり、ぶら下がったり。インドの列車や、ネパールのバスなどもそうですが、とにかくすごいのです。

外国人のみなさんにもキツイと不評の満員電車。決して快適な状況ではありませんが、だからこそ思いやりやマナーを守ることが大切になってきます。便利な公共交通機関ですので、できるだけ気持ちよく利用したいものですね。
Comments translated by me:

England, male, early 40s:
I don’t think it’s as bad at home as it is here in Japan.

Thailand, female, late 30s:
We’re packed in like a can of sardines. It’s like this at home, too.

France, female, late 20s:
It’s odd that we have to take such crowded trains first thing in the morning. The only times it gets this crowded this quickly at home is when there’s a strike or something.

Denmark, female, early 50s:
I’m amazed they can handle all this. It’s not as bad at home as it is here in Japan. We’ve got a smaller population, and we put money into public transit.

USA, male, late 20s:
It gets pretty crowded, and yet everyone deals with it fine. It might be like this in New York, but where I’m from, there aren’t many trains at all.

Greece, male, early 30s:
It’s very crowded… It might even have an impact on the health of passengers. Back at home, a lot of people commute by car, so I don’t think it’s as bad as it is in Japan.

Mali, male, early 30s:
What’s amazing is that there’s a lot of trains that come, but there’s even more people getting on. I hate it. Back at home, people don’t ride if they have to get so close to other passengers.

Russia, female, early 20s:
There’s a lot of people, but very few delays, so it’s convenient. I think there’s loss people riding in my home country than in Tōkyō, even during rush hour,

Indonesia, male, early 30s:
There’s a lot of people, but everyone follows proper etiquette, so I’m fine. It gets this bad at home, too.

An interesting article if only to hear people’s opinions… There’s some more related comments here from JapanToday:
http://www.japantoday.com/category/h...ther-countries
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #4780
quashlo

There’s some artsy photographs by Dutch photographer Rudy van Os of the daily life on the Tōkyō train system here:
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/02/1...-capital-city/

To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of this style and I find some of the shots a bit forced and cliché, but thought some of you might enjoy it otherwise:

Quote:

“Assassin”. A pretty young woman with a concentrated stare slips on her gloves.

“The Switch”

Styles and smiles.

“Fiction and Reality”

“Killing Time”