daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4981
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Here's another test of sorts...
I've been trying to automate drawing the stringlines using Excel macros and AutoCAD scripts as it was getting pretty tedious to draw them out.

Worked out pretty well for the Tsukuba Express:
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...kwzTzU3YktTMUU

It's printed on ANSI F size, but you should still be able to view it pretty well at 100% or larger on the computer screen. This one has both directions. Enjoy.

Once they get the new schedules in ekikara.jp (the site I'm tapping for all the schedules, since it has both arrival and departure times at all the stations), I'll probably just use the same process to do a more formal Tōyoko Line + Fukutoshin Line one. A lot of the schedule info available to the public thus far is just station departure times, which makes it hard to draw out.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can't produce a few more of these... Tsukuba Express was a good test subject because it had some variation in stopping patterns but doesn't have interlining, isn't as busy as some of the other lines, and isn't going to be implementing any schedule changes this month. Relatively speaking, it's a fairly boring line, though, so Keiō, or maybe even Keikyū + Asakusa Line + Keisei, may be my next target.

ko7, k.k.jetcar, Northridge liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4982
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Tokyu started selling their paper timetable today (B5 size, 300 yen):

http://www.tokyu.co.jp/contents_inde.../130228-2.html
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #4983
quashlo

Articulated buses begin field tests in Kagoshima City
http://www.373news.com/modules/picku...?storyid=46874

Quote:
 国や鹿児島県、鹿児島市でつくる「乗合バス運行に係る関係機関会議」は7日深夜から8日未明にかけ、同市内の公道でバス2台をつなげた連節バスの走行実験をした。交差点の右左折やバス停での挙動などを確認した。
 バスは全長約18メートル。いわさきバスネットワーク(同市)が導入を目指し2011年10月、国に事業計画変更の認可申請をした。これを受け、同会議は12年9月、市内の同社駐車場で走行実験を実施。その際、交差点の左折時に対向車線にはみ出すといった課題が見つかり、同社が走行を計画している3ルートで夜間走らせることにした。
 この日は鹿児島駅-平川動物公園を往復。同社を含めた計約80人が参加し、大型車との併走が可能かの調査や通常のバスとの比較なども実験しビデオ撮影した。

交差点内に大型車が安全に離合できるかなどを調べる走行実験=8日未明、鹿児島市平川町
Iwasaki Bus Network, a private bus operator in the Kagoshima area, has been working since October 2011 on getting approvals from the national government to operate articulated buses. The latest in these efforts was some night-time running from 2013.03.7 to 2013.03.08 to test clearances on turns and confirm safety and maneuverability when running next to larger vehicles trucks.
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #4984
quashlo

Ōsaka City publishes proposed company statutes for private subway operations
http://www.nnn.co.jp/dainichi/news/1...130309027.html

Quote:
 大阪市は8日までに、2015年度の民営化を目指す地下鉄事業の受け皿となる新会社の定款案をまとめた。社名は「大阪地下鉄」(仮称)で、これまで交通事業で培ってきた技術・ノウハウを生かすとともに、「地域に根ざした企業になりたい」(市交通局)と保育所や託児所、高齢者施設の経営、ホテルやスポーツ施設の運営なども検討している。

具体的には、土木工事、建設工事、電気工事の企画、設計、工事管理などに関するコンサルティングなどを中核事業に据え、施設の老朽診断などのノウハウを生かす一方で、鉄道事業以外での収益確保も目指す。

駅ナカの充実策としては、ATMコーナーの拡大やカプセルホテルの新規設置などを検討。所有施設や遊休地などの駅チカの活用策としては、一時預かりの保育施設や、駅周辺でのランニング人口の増加を踏まえたシャワー施設の設置などを視野に入れている。また、コンビニエンスストアの経営や旅行業、発電事業や警備業務も定款案に盛り込んだ。

新会社の発起人は100%出資する大阪市とし、役員は20人以内、監査役は4人以内と明記。事業年度は4月1日から翌年3月31日としている。

地下鉄民営化に関する条例案は現在、市議会に提出されており、可決には3分の2以上の賛成が必要となるが、慎重な意見も多く、先行きは不透明だ。
A bit more detail on the proposed privatization of the Ōsaka Municipal Subway…

The provisional name of the new company would be Ōsaka Subway. In addition to operating the subway, the company would also focus on providing consulting services such as the planning, design, construction, and maintenance of civil, engineering, and electrical works, aiming to secure revenue sources outside of the railway business by taking advantage of knowhow in inspection of aging facilities and infrastructure.

In terms of ekinaka (station retail), the new company would consider expanding the presence of ATMs inside stations, as well as constructing new capsule hotels. In order to maximize the effectiveness of existing station facilities and recreational attractions, the company will also look at hourly day care facilities as well as shower facilities to cater to a growing population of runners and joggers. The statues also include policies relating to convenience stores, the tourism / leisure industry, the power generation industry, and security duties.
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #4985
quashlo

Ishikawa City and Hokuriku Railroad to launch trial shuttle bus for tourists
http://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/is...902000037.html

Quote:
市と北鉄 13年度実験

北陸新幹線金沢開業を見据え、金沢市は二〇一三年度、北陸鉄道(金沢市)と連携し、市内の観光地を巡る「城下まち金沢周遊バス」の運行実験に取り組む。既存のルートを残しながら、利用者の利便性を高めるため、逆ルートも運行。さらに、昨年十二月下旬に国の重要伝統的建造物群保存地区(重伝建)に選ばれた寺町台地区やにし茶屋街へのアクセスを考慮したルートを設定する。 (田嶋豊)

金沢駅を発着し、ひがし茶屋街や兼六園、片町・香林坊、近江町市場など主な観光スポットを巡る。北陸鉄道が運行し、レトロな雰囲気のボンネットバスなどが十二分間隔で走っている。

ただ、一周四十分と時間がかかるため、今回逆ルートを提案。その際、重伝建に指定された新たな寺町台地区などもルートに加え、利用者の利便性向上や新たな魅力発信につなげる。

実験は夏ごろから秋にかけてスタートさせ、一時間当たり複数便の運行を想定。実験を通じて、バス停の位置分析や利用者ニーズなどを把握し、新幹線開業時までに二次交通を充実させていく。

市は一三年度当初予算案に実験費の半分、七百八十万円を計上している。

The current shuttle bus service is operated by Hokuriku Railroad and departs every 12 minutes from Kanazawa Station, passing by major landmarks including Higashi-Chayamachi, Kenroku-en Gardens, and the Katamachi and Kōrinbō districts. Currently, it only goes in a one-directional loop, though, taking 40 minutes for a full trip.

They will keep the existing route but also add service in the opposite direction to improve convenience for passengers. There will also be new routes to get tourists to and from the Teramachi district of the city, which was selected by the national government in late December of last year as a historic and traditional architecture preservation zone.

The trial will take place in the summer and autumn.

ko7 liked this post
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #4986
quashlo

Plans for proposed station near ND Soft Stadium Yamagata may be affected by proposed new stadium
http://www.kahoku.co.jp/news/2013/03/20130309t51006.htm

Quote:
 サッカーJ2山形の本拠地、NDソフトスタジアム山形(天童市)近くに新駅設置を検討しているJR東日本仙台支社の里見雅行支社長は8日、本拠地誘致を視野に入れた山形市の新スタジアム建設構想について「(新駅設置の)前提条件が変わる可能性がある」との認識を示した。

仙台市内で河北新報社の取材に答えた。里見支社長は「(新駅の利用に)影響が出るかどうか具体的には検討していないが、それなりの状況変化だとは思う」と、本拠地が移転された場合、新駅に何らかの影響があるとの受け止め方を示した。
 ただ「(本拠地移転が)決まったわけでなく、今のところ情勢がどうなのかも分からない」として、当面は「従来の前提条件のまま、天童市と実務的な協議を続けていきたい」と述べた。
 「スタジアム利用者だけを見込んで、新駅を検討してはいない」とも強調。「(候補地周辺は)これから住宅が増えてくる地域。どのような町が形成され、どのくらい駅利用がありそうか、しっかりと検証を進めていく必要がある」と語った。
 新駅はスタジアムから1.6キロ西の奥羽線天童-高擶(たかだま)間に設置する構想。地元自治体などが整備費を負担する「請願駅」で、天童市とJRは2011年度から協議を進めている。JRは「新駅設置を最終的に決めてはいない」としているが、市は13年度予算案に新駅関連費4000万円を計上している。

本拠地存続を高橋理事長(右)に要望する水戸議長
Originally, JR East was considering constructing a new station on the Ōu Main Line in Tendō City near ND Soft Stadium Yamagata, home stadium of the Montedio Yamagata (J2 League soccer franchise). The stadium would be located about 1.6 km from the existing stadium in the Haga district of the city, at a location between Tendō and Takatama Stations on the Ōu Main Line. This was to have been a petition station built at the request of the local government, with Tendō City and JR entering negotiations in 2011.

Now, Yamagata City has announced plans to build a new stadium for the team, and it’s uncertain just how this would affect the proposed station. The station wasn’t being built exclusively to serve stadium traffic, as the area is forecasted to see an increase in residents, but it will likely play into JR’s ultimate decision on whether to move forward with the proposal.

Cab view from Takatama to Tendō. The proposed station site should be somewhere near the curve.

Old March 10th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #4987
quashlo

Improvements in store for Kita-Kamakura Station
http://news.kanaloco.jp/localnews/article/1303080024/

Quote:
 JR北鎌倉駅(鎌倉市山ノ内)がバリアフリー化に伴い、ホームの屋根が増設される見通しだ。ただ、多くの住民や鉄道ファンらに親しまれる著名駅だけに、景観保全を求める声は架設当時から絶えない。

ホームは全長約320メートル。現状は上下線ホームとも屋根がすべてに架かっておらず、下り側は全長に対して約8割、上り側は約2割となっている。この設計は、1979年に全面架設を計画した旧国鉄が地元の反対に歩み寄った名残。住民は「駅一帯の景観が損なわれる」と反対運動を展開し、約5千人の署名とともに設計変更を国鉄に要望した。

この年、源氏の興亡を描いたNHK大河ドラマ「草燃える」の放送で、古都の玄関口の屋根として、その設計が注目されていた。当時の報道によると、国鉄担当者は、「緑の多い円覚寺裏山が見える部分の視野を残すよう設計を変えた。乗客の安全性と利便性を考えての最大の譲歩案」(79年2月2日付、毎日新聞)と述べている。

一方、雨天時に屋根下が混雑し、増設や全面架設の要望も根強かった。駅周辺には複数の学校があり、1日の利用客は1万7千人(推計)に上る。JR東日本はこうした声も受けて利便性と安全面から、増設を決めた。同横浜支社は、賛否双方に配慮して「地元の要望に応える設計にする」としている。工期は未定。

同市山ノ内の水野博子さんら地元住民5人はことし1月、79年当時に結成した「北鎌倉駅を考える住民の会」の準備会を立ち上げた。「一般の駅以上の文化財的価値がある」と、現状変更に慎重になるようJRに要望。住民との協議の場も求めている。

ホーム上のすべてには屋根が架かっていないJR北鎌倉駅=鎌倉市山ノ内
http://news.kanaloco.jp/localnews/article/1303080023/

Quote:
 古都の玄関口として、多くの観光客が訪れるJR北鎌倉駅が2014年4月までに、バリアフリー化される。上り線側にエレベーター1基を新設し、下り線側入り口の階段をスロープに改装。障害者用の多機能トイレも設ける。

事業主はJR東日本で、鎌倉市は13年度一般会計予算案にエレベーター新設の補助として、約1600万円を計上している。

エレベーターは11人乗りで、改札と上りホーム(高低差約3メートル)をつなぐ。

ゆるやかで歩きやすい全長約15メートルのスロープを確保するため、下りホームを上り方面に約5・5メートル延伸する。

JR東日本横浜支社によると、12年9月からトイレ新設に着工しており、13年度中に完工する見通しという。
First is extension of the platform canopies... The platforms are 320 m long (needed to serve 300 m, 15-car Yokosuka Line and Shōnan–Shinjuku Line trains), but only about 80% of the outbound platform (for Zushi and Kurihama) and 20% of the inbound platform (for Yokohama and Tōkyō) are sheltered by canopies. The current situation is a direct result of local opposition when the former JNR was originally planning to cover the full length of both platforms back in 1979. About 5,000 residents signed a petition to change the plans, citing concerns about aesthetic impacts to views of the mountains behind Engaku-ji Temple, a major historic landmark near the station. Of course, the other problem is that this also happens to be one of the gateway stations to Kamakura’s historic attractions, so a lot of tourists use it to visit Engaku-ji, Kenchō-ji, and Jōchi-ji. When it rains, the 20% of the inbound platform that is sheltered ends up overcrowded, and passengers have complained to JR. As a result, JR will now finish the rest of the platforms, but will work on developing a design that is acceptable to local residents.

The other series of improvements include barrier-free upgrades to be completed by 2014.04, including a new 11-passenger elevator for the inbound track (3 m elevation difference between the faregates and platform level) and a 15 m slope and stairwell for the outbound track. In order to secure enough space for the improvements in the outbound direction, they will extend the outbound platform north by about 5.5 m.

This is a “quaint” little station on the line… I visited here on my first trip to Japan. The temples and mountains are nice, and you can get some decent shots at the crossings and alongside the tracks.

Yokosuka Line E217 action at Kita-Kamakura:

Old March 10th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4988
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Most articulated buses in Japan are made by either: Mercedes Benz, Volvo or SAAB

^However this one looks like it's from a Japanese manufacturer??? Are there any local bus manufacturers in Japan that make articulated buses?

*btw, I ask this because afaik, HINO does not make articulated buses. So does Mitsubishi FUSO (only city bus, medium bus, hi-decker and super hi-decker)...*
Blackraven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #4989
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Tokyu started selling their paper timetable today (B5 size, 300 yen):

http://www.tokyu.co.jp/contents_inde.../130228-2.html
Bought one at my station! Almost forgot with this damn mega-dust-storm from China that blew through here...
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #4990
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Here's another test of sorts...
I've been trying to automate drawing the stringlines using Excel macros and AutoCAD scripts as it was getting pretty tedious to draw them out.

Worked out pretty well for the Tsukuba Express:
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...kwzTzU3YktTMUU

It's printed on ANSI F size, but you should still be able to view it pretty well at 100% or larger on the computer screen. This one has both directions. Enjoy.

Once they get the new schedules in ekikara.jp (the site I'm tapping for all the schedules, since it has both arrival and departure times at all the stations), I'll probably just use the same process to do a more formal Tōyoko Line + Fukutoshin Line one. A lot of the schedule info available to the public thus far is just station departure times, which makes it hard to draw out.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can't produce a few more of these... Tsukuba Express was a good test subject because it had some variation in stopping patterns but doesn't have interlining, isn't as busy as some of the other lines, and isn't going to be implementing any schedule changes this month. Relatively speaking, it's a fairly boring line, though, so Keiō, or maybe even Keikyū + Asakusa Line + Keisei, may be my next target.
Looks like they've gotten them all loaded in. I just plotted a few trips from Motomachi-chukagai out to different endpoints like Shinrin-Koen and Hanno.
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #4991
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Most articulated buses in Japan are made by either: Mercedes Benz, Volvo or SAAB

^However this one looks like it's from a Japanese manufacturer??? Are there any local bus manufacturers in Japan that make articulated buses?

*btw, I ask this because afaik, HINO does not make articulated buses. So does Mitsubishi FUSO (only city bus, medium bus, hi-decker and super hi-decker)...*
Those are ex-Keisei Volvo KC-B10MC buses with bodies by Fuji Heavy Industries.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #4992
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Those are ex-Keisei Volvo KC-B10MC buses with bodies by Fuji Heavy Industries.
Wow, so it's like if a Volvo and Subaru got married and gave birth to child, then this would be it.

Haha quite cool =)
Blackraven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #4993
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Looks like they've gotten them all loaded in. I just plotted a few trips from Motomachi-chukagai out to different endpoints like Shinrin-Koen and Hanno.
No, I need the line timetables in...
That's the other reason I use ekikara.jp, since they have the entire timetables by line:
http://www.ekikara.jp/newdata/line/1307011/up1_1.htm

Most online sites only allow you to see the station schedules, then you have to click on each train to see its schedule.
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #4994
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

I see. That's more like a paper timetable. I even tried monkeying with the URL but no dice on that either.
Tokyu's paper timetable covers all the way up to Kotake-Mukaihara FWIW.
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #4995
quashlo

Fukuoka City Subway and Nishitetsu bus services to cooperate on bus terminals at major subway stations
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...2110001-n1.htm

Quote:
 ■棲み分け共存へ

これまでライバル関係にあった西日本鉄道と福岡市が、路線バスと市営地下鉄の「棲(す)み分け」と「共存」に向け、動き出した。10年以内にいくつかの地下鉄駅を拠点駅としてバスターミナルを整備し、バスと地下鉄を乗り継いで円滑に郊外から都心部に移動できるよう新たな都市計画を策定中。実現すれば天神や博多駅の慢性的なバス渋滞は緩和され、利便性が増すばかりか、CO2削減も期待できる。(大森貴弘)

◇

福岡市では、天神や博多駅などが多数のバス路線の終着点になり、バスが集中するため、通勤ラッシュ時や土日の渋滞が慢性化している。

このため、福岡市住宅都市局と西鉄は平成23年8月に課長級職員による勉強会を設立、渋滞緩和に向け、協議を重ねてきた。

この結果、いくつかの地下鉄駅を拠点駅として大型バスターミナルを整備し、郊外から都心に向かう市民は拠点駅でバスから地下鉄に円滑に乗り継ぐ交通体系を構築するのがもっとも有効だとの結論に達した。

拠点駅には、駅前広場や商業施設を整備する構想も浮上。周辺に土地がない場合、歩道にバスが停車できる切れ込み(バスカット)を入れ、拠点駅周辺の渋滞を緩和させる。

これまでも西新や藤崎、姪浜などは拠点駅となってきたが、円滑さを重視して再整備。加えて九州大教養学部が立ち退いた六本松や野芥なども拠点駅として整備することを検討している。

利便性の高い拠点駅をピックアップするために、バスと地下鉄の利用者モニターやアンケートも近く実施する方針だという。

福岡市の平成22年の1日当たりのバスと鉄道の乗車人員は計108万人。これを平成34年に120万人に増やす計画。これに拠点駅の整備は不可欠となっており、市は10年以内の実現を目指し、西鉄などと計画の詳細を詰める方針だ。

これまで市営地下鉄を運営する福岡市と、バスと鉄道事業を経営の柱とする西鉄はライバル関係にあり集客合戦を繰り広げてきた。

だが、福岡市中心部の慢性的な渋滞は年々悪化しており、利便性も上がらず市民の不満は広がるばかり。しかも市営地下鉄は補助金を除くと毎年10億円前後の赤字を計上しており、市の財政を圧迫。西鉄のバス事業も決して順調ではなく、2年前には大規模な路線統廃合に踏み切った。

福岡市などが平成17年に実施した調査によると、市民の通勤・通学の交通手段にバスが占める割合は8・3%で当時の政令指定都市中、第1位。路線バスが交通手段として重要な役割を果たしていることは間違いないが、天神のメーンストリート「渡辺通り」の1日の交通量4万2千台のうち1割はバスが占める。渋滞によりバスのダイヤも乱れがちとなっていた。

福岡市交通計画課の守田剛課長は「利用者目線で分かりやすく使いやすい交通体系を整備して、公共交通の利用者を増やしたい。都心部がマイカーであふれる現象も緩和できるのではないかと期待しています」と語った。
Nishitetsu has its bus terminals at major stations like Tenjin and Hakata, which means that buses are especially concentrated in these areas, leading to traffic congestion during the commute periods and even on weekends. Traditionally, the Fukuoka City Subway and Nishi-Nippon Railroad (Nishitetsu) have been rivals of sort, but this new policy aims to place them in a more cooperative role and alleviate the congestion issues by constructing large bus terminals at several major subway stations. The goal is to encourage and improve transfers from bus to subway at these new terminal stations.

The selected “hub stations” would be targeted with various improvements including station plazas and retail facilities. In the event that land cannot be secured in the area surrounding the station, they will cut into the sidewalk to create a bus zone.

Currently, there are already some stations designated as hub stations, including Nisshin, Fujisaki, and Meinohama on the Airport Line, but these would be redesigned to improve transfer convenience. Ropponmatsu and Noke on the Nanakuma Line would be added as hub stations under this proposal.

Currently, bus and rail ridership in Fukuoka City is 1.08 million (2010), but the city’s urban plan calls for increasing this to 1.2 million by 2022. According to travel surveys, Fukuoka City has the highest bus commute mode share (8.3%) among all of the cities designated by ordinance (政令指定都市中), with buses comprising 10% of the 42,000 daily vehicles on Watanabe-dōri, Tenjin’s main street.

Traffic at the Tenjin intersection:

Activity at Nishitetsu Tenjin Bus Center (2012.12):

Old March 11th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #4996
quashlo

Public passage at Miyoshi Station complete
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201303100042.html

Quote:
 三次市が整備しているJR芸備線の三次駅の線路をまたぐ南北自由通路がほぼ完成し、9日、市が地元住民向けの見学会を開いた。31日に開通する。

自由通路(長さ60メートル、幅2メートル)は地上から高さ8メートルに架けられ駅の北側と南側を結ぶ。見学会には住民約50人が参加。エレベーターを設けるなど高齢者たちに配慮した通路の特徴について、市の担当者から説明を受けながら通路を歩いた。

駅の南北を行き来するには現在、駅舎から約200メートル西の踏切まで迂回(うかい)する必要がある。このため市が駐輪場などと合わせ、約6億2800万円をかけて自由通路の整備を進めてきた。

線路をまたぐ南北自由通路を渡り、感想を話し合う住民
This is a new north-south public passage (60 m long, 2 m wide, 8 m from ground level) at Miyoshi Station on the JR Geibi Line… According to Miyoshi City, the work is largely complete, and they invited local residents on a tour of the new facilities on 2013.03.09. The public passage will open on 2013.03.31. Currently, passengers have to detour about 200 m from the station building to a grade crossing on the west side in order to get between the neighborhoods north and south of the station. The city invested about ¥628 million for the new passage and other improvements, including bicycle parking.

Scenes at Miyoshi Station, including of the construction:

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #4997
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Shibuya Connection Update: It's almost time....

Wow, this has been a fun ride--getting to see one of the biggest infrastructure projects I've ever seen take place close up, and directly benefiting from it. It's also a testament to the Japanese spirit that bought me here 13 years ago and that I reflect upon today; the 2 year anniversary of the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake and Tsunami back in 2011. The builders, architects, developers and others on this project are no doubt working on various rebuilding projects around Tohoku; I hope I can go there soon and document the rebuilding of things like the Kesenuma and Rikuzen lines up that way soon.

First, let's talk about the TONS of camera-toting rail-geeks that have decsended on the Toyoko line! They are EVERYWHERE!! I guess it's not everyday you're witnessing a landmark getting shut down though...

The "old" Shibuya Terminal has become a tourist attraction, and before the final curtain falls on her, they will hold a series of events in the station space, starting with a big sendoff called "TOYOKO LINE SHIBUYA Station Park".

Starting the weekend following the switchover, they will deck over the tracks with temporary flooring and create a large exhibition space. This first exhibition will be the station's own farewell event with music, exhibits, and of course model trains. I'll probably be there...

But the show is getting an upgrade downstairs in the "new" station.

Here, they've made boxes for the line-up to board trains. I've never EVER had to wait on a train without being able to sit down at a bench down here, but come Monday March 18th, the whole atmosphere will change completely if they're doing this.

Upstairs in the concourse, they've finally doubled the faregates for the Hikarie entrance...

And then doubled that by finally raising the curtain on the Hikarie 2 Gates. They are in operation as of today; I used them about 2 hours ago!

The new Exit #9 opened this past weekend, replacing the one just out of frame to the right of this shot. That entrance was right against the Tokyu Department Store's East building, which will start being demolished in May. This one's further out of the way.

The new Exit #16 at the south end of the station will open next week.

Daikanyama Station

This station is narrow anyway, due to the constuction going on, but since there are photographers all over, Tokyu Security is out in force to make sure no one gets hurt or blocks actual commuters.

More of the underlying concrete form of the new sloping platform is seen as the temporary level platform rests above it on risers. The railbed in this section will drop down into its new place below on the switchout day.

Naka-Meguro Station

Most of the heavy work is complete. Just waiting for minor finish work to be complete now.

The placement of this object is interesting. It looks like a TASC detector used to help "park" trains when platform doors are used. ...Could Naka-Meguro be getting them? Well, they did reinforce the edges of the entire platform when they were doing work on the extensions over the summer... Since the Hibiya line will terminate here and not thru-run onto Toyoko tracks now, it'll get even more crowded with transferring passengers...

Tamagawa Station

They've replaced the platform monitors (ITV) with ones that hang down from the roof. They've been doing this all over, not just here, to free up space for foot traffic. Remember they need 2 sets-- 10 car trains are longer than 8!

Musashi Kousugi Station

They have totally removed the fencing around the new escalators going up into the new Tokyu Square mall built over the station... This mall opens... That's right, on March 16th!

Hiyoshi Station

They started showing and announcing how many cars the trains have... Also that pink sign is informing us about the Ladie's Car and Low Air Conditioning car changes.

And our new schedules are posted. These are temporary--the real ones are behind here under the masking tape.

Hakuraku and Tammachi Stations

Finally found out what these are... Emergency platforms for 10 car trains. The longest stretch without 10-car platforms cover 5 stations between Kikuna and Yokohama station. So in case of emergency, trains stop at the nearest train station and can alight passengers.

Yokohama Station

This was the last station to get new signage for some reason; but that problem has been solved.
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #4998
jonallen1966

Likes (Received): 13

Someone asked about updates on the Odakyu project.
I was out and about at the weekend and Ive uploaded a selection of photos to Picasa
from around Higashi Kitazawa, Shimokitazawa and Setagaya Daita.

Odakyu Line construction

quashlo liked this post
jonallen1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #4999
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonallen1966 View Post
Someone asked about updates on the Odakyu project.
I was out and about at the weekend and Ive uploaded a selection of photos to Picasa
from around Higashi Kitazawa, Shimokitazawa and Setagaya Daita.

Odakyu Line construction
That was me. Unfortunately, I seem to get 403 Forbidden when I click on the link. Can you post them here?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #5000
jonallen1966

Likes (Received): 13

sorry about that, wrong link, please try again.
jonallen1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote