daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #5021
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
I'll actually upload and embed them later,
Yes, please do... Always good to have someone on the ground to cover this type of stuff. The videos are great, by the way... Sometimes it's difficult to capture this kind of stuff with just (still) photos, but the videos give a more realistic dimension to it.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #5022
quashlo

Japanese consortiums in running for Bangkok Red Line rolling stock contract
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30202038.html

Quote:
The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has awarded a contract for Bt826 million to the MAA Consortium to be its consultant for managing the Red Line mass transit Bangsue-Rangsit section.

The consortium consists of MAA Consultant, Southeast Asia Technology, Nippon Koei, Index International Group and PB Asia.

Transport Minister Chatchat Sitthipan said the consortium has to speedily modify the Bangsue Station model and wrap up the model for the rail track, which might be expanded to four lanes from three lanes. The Red Line route has to share some locations with the planned high-speed train project.

The project consultant will have to share responsibility with the subcontractors, too, in case progress of the project development stalls, unlike earlier when only the subcontractors faced fine for the project's failure to meet the timeframe, he added.

The ministry will also closely monitor and evaluate the performance of the consultant to see if it makes progress in the project.

SRT governor Prapat Chongsanguan said that the construction of the Red Line system Bangsue-Talingchan was finished last July while Bangsue-Rangsit started on March 4.

An SRT source said that the SRT committee in charge of evaluating the qualifications of the bidders of the Red Line's third contract relating to locomotive procurement concluded that there were two qualified bidders for the contract - MHSC Consortium and MIR Consortium.

The MHSC Consortium is made up of Mitsubishi Heavy Industrial Ltd, Hitachi, and Sumitomo Corporation. The MIR Consortium comprises Marubeni Corporation and Italian-Thai Development.
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #5023
quashlo

Hitachi develops rail passenger demand simulator
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...10C13A3000000/

Quote:
 日立製作所は、鉄道の運行管理システム向けに旅客流動シミュレーターを開発した。国や都市によって異なる旅客の移動ニーズに即した運行管理システムの構築を支援するという。

日立は、道路交通分野で培った経路探索技術や統計渋滞予測技術を応用し、ダイヤに則って運行する列車と、一見バラバラに見えるが、所要時間や乗換え回数などを合理的に選択し、自律的に行動する旅客の移動が相互に与える影響をモデル化。このモデルを、人やものが多数共存するときに相互に及ぼす影響を解析する「マルチエージェント・シミュレーション」に適用した。

これにより、列車数万本規模の複数路線の列車運行を再現し、これらの列車運行に合わせて数千万人規模の旅客が移動する状況を秒刻みで推定できるようになったという。

新開発のシミュレーターは、従来は評価が難しかった列車単位での乗車率や乗降人数を網羅的に評価でき、信号機故障や車両故障などによる突発的な輸送障害が旅客の移動に及ぼす影響や、大型商業施設の開業やイベントの開催などによる旅客の移動ニーズの変化が列車運行に及ぼす影響を検証できるとする。

また、旅客の移動ニーズの変化に対して、一部の列車の出発時刻を調整することで、列車の乗車率を平準化できるという。たとえば、先発する列車の乗車率が後発する列車より小さいとき、先発する列車の乗車人数が増えるように出発時刻を少し遅らせ、これを順次適用することで、乗車率のばらつきを平準化する。列車の本数はそのままに、列車遅延の原因とされる混雑による乗降時間の短縮が期待できる。

シミュレーター画面例。1日分の旅客の移動を数分で推定し、列車と旅客の移動状況を地図上にアニメーションで表示できる(図:日立製作所)

開発したシミュレータを使ったときの乗車率の平準化効果(図:日立製作所)
Using knowhow they’ve gained in road transport related to route selection and statistical traffic forecasting, Hitachi has developed a new train traffic simulator that allows them to model the effects of passenger demand on train operations and vice versa. Basically, the model is designed to predict by the second how passengers will flow between their various rail options based on the number of services, the travel time, and the required number of transfers, as well as how sudden disruptions such as equipment failures (signaling, rolling stock, etc.) will affect passenger flows. The model also allows them to predict how the opening of a large mall or a special event will affect train operations, and they can now estimate the crowding level and the number of boardings and alightings at the train level. The model allows them to fiddle with the train schedules, meaning they can optimize operations to normalize the crowding.

Reminds me a bit of this awesome video I posted a short while ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp6oI58sHco

I expect they may even look at trying to market this for disaster prevention and evacuation, especially given the heightened awareness in the Greater Tōkyō area following the 2011 earthquake.
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #5024
quashlo

Kansai railways get creative in attempt to lure drivers
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...10C13A3LDA000/

Quote:
 関西の鉄道各社が自動車の利用者の取り込みを強化する。西日本旅客鉄道(JR西日本)は4月、タイムズ24と提携してカーシェアリング事業を開始。阪急電鉄と京都府長岡京市は同市内の新駅に駐車場を用意し、車から鉄道への乗り換えを促す。鉄道業界は沿線人口の減少に直面しており、潜在的な鉄道利用客の掘り起こしを急ぐ。

カーシェアリングはタイムズ24が運営し、JR西子会社のJR西日本レンタカー&リース(兵庫県尼崎市)が駐車スペースの管理や車両のメンテナンスを手掛ける。まず山陽新幹線や京阪神の在来線を中心に10駅前後で開始し、順次広げる。

会員になると到着先の駅で車を借り、短時間から利用できる。鉄道とカーシェアリングを組み合わせた商品の開発・導入も検討する。JR西は子会社を通じて2004年から自前でカーシェアリングを運営していたが、今年2月末でいったんサービスを終了していた。

阪急電鉄は13年度後半に新設する西山天王山駅(京都府長岡京市)で、「パークアンドライド」のサービスを始める。

長岡京市が駅東側広場近くに設ける約40台の有料駐車場を活用。同市と連携して、自家用車から鉄道への乗り換えを促す。その場合、駐車料金を割り引くかどうかは今後検討する。同駅は高速道路の出入り口から近く、京都市内に観光に出かける人などの利用が見込めるとみている。

南海電気鉄道は駅前の商業施設の駐車場を使ってパークアンドライドを展開する。このほど堺駅(堺市)の「プラットプラット」で始めた。好評なら特急が止まるほかの駅に広げることを検討する。

IC乗車券の「PiTaPa(ピタパ)」を使う場合は、利用履歴で最終降車地が同駅となっていることなどを条件に、駐車料金を100円割り引く。同駅発着の定期券を使う場合は、1カ月の駐車料金(日中のみ)を通常の半額の8400円とする。

プラットプラットの買い物客だけが使っていた従来に比べて、駐車場の売上高は前年同月比で約2倍に伸びている。

関西では人口の減少にともない鉄道の利用客の減少が続いている。特に大手私鉄5社の場合、20年前に25億人だったのが近年は18億人台にまで落ち込んでいる。各社は車に比べて環境への負荷が小さい鉄道の特徴もアピールし、新たなサービスの展開で乗客の増加につなげたい考えだ。

In order to combat declining ridership, major railways in the Kansai area are turning to the carsharing business.

First is JR West, which is scheduled to launch a carsharing venture with parking facility operator Times 24 in April. A JR West subsidiary, JR Nishi-Nihon Rent-a-Car & Lease (HQ: Amagasaki City, Hyōgo Prefecture) will manage the carsharing pods and perform car maintenance. The rollout next month will cover about ten stations, focusing on San’yō Shinkansen stations and / or Keihanshin zairaisen stations), and eventually expand. Through subsidiaries, JR West had been involved in the carsharing business since 2004, but the venture with Times 24 is the next stage.

JR West will be followed by Hankyū Corporation, which will establish a park-and-ride at the new Nishiyama–Tennō-zan Station (Nagaoka-kyō City, Kyōto Prefecture) scheduled to open on the Hankyū Kyōto Line in the second half of FY2013. The service will make use of a 40-space parking facility near the East Exit plaza of the station. The location is near an expressway interchange, and they are hoping that tourists visiting central Kyōto will make use of the facility. A discount off the parking fee may be provided for rail passengers.

Similarly, Nankai Electric Railway recently began using parking spaces at the Plat-Plat retail facility outside Sakai Station (Sakai City, Ōsaka Prefecture) to provide a park-and-ride service. If it proves successful, Nankai may expand it to other limited express stations. When using a PiTaPa IC farecard to pay, parkers will get a ¥100 discount off the parking fee if the final station in the card’s ride history is Sakai. Passengers who use a commuter pass out of Sakai to pay, they can get monthly parking for only ¥8,400 (half the regular price). Revenues at the parking facility showed a 20% year-over-year increase, compared to when it was just used by mall patrons.
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #5025
quashlo

Kitaca to become interoperable with SAPICA on 2013.06.22
http://mainichi.jp/area/hokkaido/new...10001000c.html

Quote:
 JR北海道の交通系ICカード「キタカ」が6月22日から、札幌市交通局の地下鉄10+件と路面電車や、札幌などの民間3社のバスで使えることになった。JRが14日に発表した。キタカの利便性は高まるが、地下鉄10+件で使える「サピカ」では依然としてJRの列車に乗れず、JRと札幌市は将来的には両カードの相互利用を目指すという。

キタカの発行枚数は約47万枚で、これまでは道央圏のJR列車でのみ利用可能だった。

一方、札幌市と民間バス3社が発行するサピカは約35万枚。6月22日から路面電車とバス3社での使用も可能になるが、JRでは利用できない。札幌市IT推進課は「6月時点では片側での乗り入れとなるが、引き続き相互利用についてJRと協議を進める」と説明している。

また、キタカは今月23日から、道外のJRや私鉄など9カードとの相互利用が始まる。
A bit more info in this related to the other bit of news about Suica launching interoperability with SAPICA… JR Hokkaidō’s card, Kitaca, will also become interoperable with SAPICA the same day (2013.06.22)..

Current circulation is about 470,00 cards for Kitaca and about 350,000 cards for SAPICA.
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #5026
quashlo

Hitachi Electric Railway to launch BRT service on 2013.03.25
http://response.jp/article/2013/03/15/193727.html

Quote:
茨城県の日立電鉄交通サービスは、3月25日から日立市内の常磐線大甕駅と日立港都市再開発用地を結ぶ路線バス「ひたちBRT」の運行を開始する。一部の区間では、8年前に廃止された日立電鉄線の跡地を改築したバス専用道を走行する。

日立電鉄線は、日立電鉄交通サービスの親会社だった日立電鉄(2009年解散)の鉄道路線。現在の日立市内の鮎川駅から大甕駅を経て、常陸太田市の常北太田駅までの18.1kmを結んでいたが、輸送人員の減少から2005年に廃止された。

日立市は2008年、市内の線路敷地を譲り受けて跡地の活用策を検討してきた。2011年には、鮎川~大甕~久慈浜間の約8.5kmをバス専用道として活用する新交通導入計画を策定。このうち大甕~久慈浜間の一部を第1期区間とし、このほど専用道の整備が完了した。

ひたちBRTの運行区間は、大甕駅前~臨海工場西~南部図書館(旧・久慈浜駅付近)~おさかなセンター(日立港都市再開発用地)間の約2.8km。このうち臨海工場西~南部図書館間の約1.3kmでバス専用道の第1期区間を走行する。停留所は11カ所に設けられ、このうち専用道内の5カ所は上屋が設けられる。

運行本数は平日が36往復、土曜・休日が24往復。ひたちBRT用にデザインされた大型ハイブリッドバス「Blue Rapid(ブルーラピッド)」と中型ディーゼルバス「Sakura Rapid(サクララピッド)」が使用される。

運行開始前日の3月24日には「ひたちBRT開通記念祭」が開催される。運行開始後はバス以外進入禁止となる専用道のウォーキングイベント(9時~)やバスの体験試乗会(13時~)などが行われる。

ひたちBRTと日立電線のルート。

ひたちBRTで使用される大型ハイブリッドバス。愛称は「Blue Rapid(ブルーラピッド)」。

「ブルーラピッド」とともに使用される中型ディーゼルバス。こちらは「Sakura Rapid(サクララピッド)」の愛称が付けられている。
Had forgotten this project… Hitachi Electric Railway (officially, Hitachi Dentetsu Transport Service 日立電鉄交通サービス), a small private railway in Hitachi City in Ibaraki Prefecture, operated an 18.1 km line between Ayukawa Station and Ōmika Station on the Jōban Line. The rail line was abandoned in 2005 due to declining ridership, and since then, the railway has been a bus-only operator.

On 2013.03.25, they will launch a new 2.5 km BRT service connecting Ōmika Station and an urban redevelopment area at the Port of Hitachi, with portions of the BRT alignment built on the original rail ROW. Eventually, the BRT service will reuse 8.5 km of the former rail line ROW between Ayukawa and Kujihama, but the service will open first with only 1.3 km of the rail ROW conversion (between臨海工場西 and南部図書館) complete. The service will feature 11 stops, five of which will be along the rail ROW and feature canopied waiting areas. Initial schedule calls for 36 roundtrips on weekdays and 24 roundtrips on weekends and holidays. Specially branded buses in two types—large “Blue Rapid” hybrid buses and medium-size “Sakura Rapid” diesel buses—will be used on the line.
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #5027
quashlo

Fujisawa City bike lane extension to open soon
http://www.townnews.co.jp/0601/2013/03/15/180418.html

Quote:
 湘南モールフィル前の東海道線沿いの市道「藤沢駅辻堂駅線」で、歩道拡幅工事が進められており、3月下旬をめどに自転車専用レーンが延伸する。

これは、歩行者と自転車の通行レーンを分離することで、双方の安全確保を目指すもの。工事箇所は、鵠沼神明2丁目のバス停「ヤクルト前」の約70mと「神明町」付近の約100mの2カ所。民地側の歩道を約2・5mから約4・8mへ拡幅しているほか、老朽化した車道の舗装打ち直しを行っている。

藤沢市道路整備課によれば、ソニー(株)前の「上村踏切」交差点付近から藤沢駅前までの約2Km区間を5年程度で整備する計画だという。2010年度から順次実施され、すでに湘南モールフィルから東へ約440mの区間で工事が完了している。今回は3期目となる。

自転車の利用増加に伴い

同課の調査によると、同線は直線で平坦な地形のため、自転車の交通量が市内でも非常に多いエリアだという。特に、湘南モールフィルが開店した03年頃から自転車利用者が増加。地元住民から「歩行者と自転車が入り交じって危ない」「前後から走ってくる自転車が怖い」などの声が上がっていた。同線を自転車で利用する女性は「車道は狭く、バスも運行するので怖かった。今後は安心して専用レーンを走行できる」と話す。

求められるマナー向上

同課では「歩道整備も大切だが、事故の防止には自転車利用者のマナー向上が不可欠。ルールを守って安全走行してほしい」と呼び掛けている。

今後の工事は、道路拡幅が必要な踏切や交差点付近の用地取得ができ次第、随時実施していくという。

約2.5mから約4.8mへ拡幅し、歩行者と自転車を分離する(鵠沼神明2丁目)

すでに自転車専用レーンが設けられている湘南モールフィル前
Fujisawa City is widening the sidewalk on the Fujisawa Station – Tsujidō Station Road paralleling the Tōkaidō Main Line, and will use some of the expanded sidewalk space for a bike lane extension to be completed by late March. Basically, they will physically separate bicycle and pedestrian traffic to ensure safety for pedestrians on two sections (70 m and 100 m), where the sidewalk will be widened from 2.5 m to 4.8 m. This is actually the third phase of a much larger five-year project to improve about 2 km of the road leading up to Fujisawa Station, which began construction in FY2010. About 440 m is already complete stretching east from the Shōnan Mall Fill.

Since the mall opened in 2003, bicycle use has been on the rise on this particular road, which is flat and direct, but local residents have expressed concern about the dangers from bicyclists on the sidewalk.

Morning rush hour at Fujisawa Station (Odakyū Enoshima Line to Tōkaidō Line transfer).

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #5028
quashlo

New faregates coming to Nippori–Toneri Liner stations
http://response.jp/article/2013/03/15/193667.html

Quote:
東京都交通局は3月15日、改札口が2通路となっている日暮里・舎人ライナーの赤土小学校前、足立小台、高野、舎人の4駅について、それぞれ自動改札機を1機増設して3通路にすると発表した。

赤土小学校前駅と足立小台駅は3月25日に増設通路の使用を開始し、高野駅と舎人駅の増設通路は翌3月26日から使用を開始する。

今回の増設により、日暮里・舎人ライナーの改札口は全駅が3通路以上となる。

足立小台駅の改札口。写真左側に自動改札機を1機増設する。

日暮里・舎人ライナーで運用されている300形。
Relatively minor news, but we rarely hear about this line in the news… Currently, four stations on the line (Akado Shōgakkō-mae, Adachi Odai, Kōya, and Toneri) only have two faregates, but the Tōkyō Metropolitan Bureau of Transportation have announced that they will add a third faregate at these stations. The new faregates will enter service on 2013.03.25 at Akado Shōgakkō-mae and Adachi Odai and on 2013.03.26 at Kōya and Toneri. After completion, all stations on the Nippori–Toneri Liner will have at least three faregates.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #5029
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 464

Well I was out ALL NIGHT watching the Toyoko Connection Switchover. I took over 200 pictures in all-- from watching the last train into and out of old Shibuya Terminal, to standing by around Daikanyama station watching the construction crews remove the temporary tracks and testing the rails, to actually boarding the first inbound train off the Toyoko Line and into the "new" Shibuya station...then I boarded the first 10 car Ltd Express an hour later and rode it back to Musashi-Kosugi and went home.

I need to upload the massive amount of pictures I took so I can show them off here; Not too sure how I'm gonna do that, but looking at Quashlo's photo-journal posts means it must take a while!

Most of the pictures from my phone auto-upload into the cloud so I can get those easily...the SLR on the other hand... Bear with me please while I get it sorted (and get some sleep!)

Feel free to check my Instagram Stream as well. I took a bunch of pictures there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Awesome, thanks!

I get a 404 on that [Google +] page, FYI...
...I fixed it. You can also click here.

k.k.jetcar liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #5030
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62846

03/15

03/16

Here's also a video of the last train arriving at Toyoko Shibuya Station.

Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #5031
jonallen1966

Likes (Received): 13

I was up all night too. shame i didn't bump into starrwulfe . but it was a very popular night.

The best place to stand was the VIP view from the top of the project office overlooking the site I hope there were some people taking some good photos because I could see almost nothing from our vantage points.

Here's my selection of some of my photos from this mornings event

https://picasaweb.google.com/1117069...insFromShibuya

and a video of the last train departing

Same again next Friday for the Odakyu line change over ?
The difference there will be that I imagine there will be almost no engineering work required for the track changeover because the connections are already there. it will be just changing the points to the new track. Opening the new stations though will be quite some work though.

Last edited by jonallen1966; March 16th, 2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: youtube link embed
jonallen1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #5032
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

On "News Caster" (TBS TV) tonight, they had a brief segment on the changeover at Daikanyama Station. After the last train, workers removed the temporary platforms, portions of the track were cut, and using four cranes, sections of track were removed. The remaining track was lowered to the new platform level. After 4 hours, the first trains on the new alignment started running.

I'm hoping some more news programs or documentaries will be broadcast covering this procedure over the coming week.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #5033
quashlo

Some more videos, starting off with a news feature.
A nice focus on some of the side-effects of the through-service, including all the tourism marketing, with restaurants in Yokohama Chinatown offering special discounts to lure Saitama residents and the local mascots in Saitama doing some PR events in Yokohama.

[dailymotion]xy8996[/dailymotion]

Last day at the Shibuya No. 1 crossing between Shibuya and Daikan’yama (2013.03.15).

Last morning of the elevated approach.
The adjacent Shibuya River (really just a small creek / canal) will finally get some TLC as part of the undergrounding.

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #5034
quashlo

Last day at Shibuya Station.
This view of the station, overlooking the gauntlet of faregates to handle the flood of passengers arriving at the terminal during the morning rush hour, is now gone.... Both of Tōkyū’s stations at Shibuya are now underground through stations.

Full-length cab view on the last train to arrive at the aboveground Shibuya terminal, from Motomachi–Chūkagai to Shibuya:

After the storm (2013.03.16):

Old March 16th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #5035
quashlo

Some station scenes from Tokorozawa at the Seibu end, including a 10-car Tōkyū 4000 series on the Seibu network. It’s now as little as 66 minutes to get to Yokohama.

There’s also an interesting mix of rolling stock on the Tōyoko Line and Minato Mirai Line now with the addition of Tōkyō Metro 7000 and 10000 series, Seibu 6000 series, and Tōbu 50070 and 9000 series trains. Of course, this comes at the loss of “native” stock including 9000 series and 1000 series, as well as the Tōkyō Metro 03 series from the Hibiya Line.

Arrival at the shared underground platforms with the Fukutoshin Line on B5F, on board a 4000 series limited express bound for Kawagoe-shi on the Tōbu Tōjō Line:

Old March 16th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #5036
quashlo

There are some minor changes on the inside, too… Here are the LCD screens on a Tōyoko Line limited express bound for Hōya on the Seibu Ikebukuro Line. Note the messages about how the stopping pattern changes at boundary stations. This is necessary because it’s not necessarily a consistent mapping between services on different lines—particularly during the rush hours, when there is a need to operate a sufficient number of trains on local stopping patterns on the Fukutoshin Line.

From the other end on board a rapid express between Shin-Sakuradai and Kotake–Mukaihara on the Seibu Ikebukuro Line, bound for Motomachi–Chūkagai on the Minato Mirai Line. At 2:50, there is a notice from Tōkyō Metro as the crew changes and the train prepares to cross inter-company boundaries and enter the Tōkyō Metro Fukutoshin Line.

Old March 17th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #5037
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

More train photos

Here are more photographs of stations mentioned recently in this thread.
(I forgot I have a Flickr® account.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pudgym3...oto_8562830589
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #5038
quashlo

Wakayama Electric railway gives fresh look to Tama Train interior
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/oka...OYT8T00952.htm

Quote:
 「たま駅長」で有名な和歌山電鉄貴志川線(和歌山県)を運行する両備グループの岡山電気軌道(岡山市北区)は16日、岡山市内で運行する路面電車「たま電車」の車内を改装し、和歌山をPRする「たま電車・わかやま応援館」として運行を始めた。

車内の昇降口付近に和歌山県の特産品などを紹介するパンフレットを置き、つり輪は、和歌山産の杉を使用。「和歌山県へのお越しをお待ちしております」などのアナウンスも流れる。

ネットを通じて和歌山の魅力を発信する会社員次田尚弘さん(24)(和歌山市)が、同グループの小嶋光信代表に提案し実現。次田さんを館長に、三毛猫「SUNたま」を館長代理に委嘱した。

この日、出発式があり、乗車した次田さんは「この電車に乗った岡山の皆さんに和歌山に来てもらえれば」と呼び掛けていた。

内装を替え、和歌山をPRする「たま電車・わかやま応援館」(岡山市北区で)
Inside the Tama Train, pre-renovation:

Old March 17th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #5039
quashlo

JR West and Hankyū in battle at North Exit of Ōsaka Station
http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/7505768/

Quote:
 駅近くに商業施設を設け、乗降客を取り込むのは鉄道事業の“王道”。

JR大阪駅北側に4月26日、阪急電鉄が運営する商業施設「グランフロント大阪 ショップ&レストラン」がオープンする。この真向かいにはJR西日本の専門店街「ルクア」がある。両施設の戦いは、関西私鉄の雄たる阪急と西日本に広大な路線網を持つJR西日本との「代理戦争」でもある。(松村信仁)

大阪最後の一等地といわれ、脚光を浴びる大阪駅北側の再開発地域「うめきた」。間もなくお目見えする「グランフロント大阪 ショップ&レストラン」のテナント数はルクアの1・3倍の266。1店舗あたりの面積は平均165平方メートルとルクアの約2倍だ。中でも、無印良品や紀伊國屋書店は約3千平方メートルと、ともに西日本最大級の店舗に。グランフロント全体の初年度売上高目標は400億円とルクアを上回る。

迎え撃つルクアも20~30歳代男女をターゲットに、値頃感のある商品を集めて集客。平成23年5月の開業から1年間で、目標の1・5倍にあたる370億円の売上高を稼ぎ出した。2年目(24年4月~25年3月)もほぼ同水準の見通しだ。

JR西と阪急との戦いの歴史は90年ほど前にさかのぼる。明治22年に国鉄(現JR)東海道線が東京・新橋から神戸まで開通。阪急は神戸線が大正9年、京都線が昭和3年に京都・西院へ乗り入れたのを機に、両社の顧客争奪戦が始まる。

かつては長距離輸送の国鉄、地域輸送の私鉄とのすみ分けがあったが、昭和62年の国鉄分割民営化で様相は一変。JR西は京阪神を結ぶ「新快速」を増発。一方の阪急は特急の停車駅を増やし、途中駅の利用客をこまめに集めた。JR大阪駅の1日平均乗降客数は約81万人(平成23年度)、阪急梅田駅は約52万人(23年)。広範囲に及ぶ鉄道網を持つJR西に軍配があがる。

しかし、百貨店では阪急が優位だ。阪急は創業当初から沿線での宅地開発や娯楽施設などを整備。昭和4年にできた阪急百貨店梅田本店もそのひとつ。平成24年11月下旬に売り場面積を建て替え前の1・3倍の8万平方メートルに拡大。同年末までの1カ月余りの来店客は前年同期比2倍、売上高も1・6倍に達した。

一方、JR西は百貨店「JR大阪三越伊勢丹」(23年5月開業)が営業不振で、開業初年度の売上高は310億円と目標の6割程度にとどまった。

少子化による沿線人口の減少で、鉄道業界は本業以外での事業強化を迫られている。JR西と阪急の商業施設での戦いは、グループ全体の浮沈にもかかわってきそうだ。

「ルクア」と「グランフロント大阪」の比較
Hankyū Corporation will open the Grand Front Ōsaka Shops and Restaurants at the North Exit of JR Ōsaka Station on 2013.04.26, on the opposite side of JR West’s Lucua mall inside the North Gate Building of the station. Hankyū’s development in the up-and-coming Ume-Kita area features an average store size of 165 sq m (about twice that of Lucua) and a total of 266 stores (1.3 times Lucua), including what will be the largest Muji and Kinokuniya stores in all of western Japan.

This is just the latest installment in a battle between one of the Kansai area’s most storied private railways, Hankyū Electric Railway, and JR West, operator of the extensive former JNR network in Kansai and western Japan. Competition between the two began almost 90 years ago. The Tōkaidō Line opened between Shinbashi in Tōkyō and Kōbe much earlier in 1889, with Hankyū eventually opening the Kōbe Line in 1920 and the Kyōto Line to Saiin in Kyōto in 1928.

Back then, the competition was not nearly as fierce, as JNR was primarily focused on long-distance travel and the private railways were focused on local and regional traffic, but the relationship changed dramatically with the dissolution and privatization of JNR in 1987. JR West expanded and increased special rapid (新快速) service, with Hankyū responding by increasing the number of stops on limited express services to capture ridership at intermediate stations. Of course, JR West still benefits from having a much larger regional network, and daily ridership at JR Ōsaka Station is about 810,000 (FY2011), compared to only 520,000 at Hankyū Umeda.

However, Hankyū definitely has the edge in side businesses, particularly its department store business, embodied by the Umeda flagship store that opened in 1929. Hankyū was a pioneer in the Kansai area for trackside development and leisure facilities, and had been carrying out joint land use and rail development since it was founded. They’ve since expanded the store in late November 2012 to 80,000 sq m (1.3 times the previous size), and early performance results indicate twice as many visitors and 1.6 times the sales revenue as last year. In contrast, JR Ōsaka Mitsukoshi–Isetan opened with Ōsaka Station City in May 2011, but is still struggling, meeting only 60% of its sales revenue target for the first fiscal year.

Window view on a 223 series on JR West’s premier service, the special rapid. This is only the western half, covering about one hour from Ōsaka to Himeji. The other half begins from as far away as Tsuruga, together forming the backbone of JR’s urban service linking Kyōto, Ōsaka, and Kōbe.

Old March 17th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #5040
quashlo

Barrier-free upgrades at Tsu Station complete
http://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/mi...702000017.html

Quote:
 津駅の東口と西口を結ぶ地下連絡通路にエレベーターが設置され、十六日に利用開始を祝う式典があった。これまで駅の反対側へ行くには地下通路の階段を通らなければならず、バリアフリー化を望んできた地元住民にとって念願の設置となった。

エレベーターは、連絡通路の東西の出入り口部分にそれぞれ設置。二基とも十一人まで乗ることができ、階段の上り下りが困難だったお年寄りや車いす利用者、ベビーカーを押す保護者らの利用も想定している。

長さ七十メートルの地下通路は一九七四(昭和四十九)年の完成から老朽化が進んでいたため、天井や壁、床が全面的に張り替えられた。いずれも通路を管理する津市の事業で、工事費は国の交付金も含めて四億円。

今まで住宅が密集する西口側から商業地区の東口側へ買い物に行くのに困るお年寄りが多く、六年前に地元から津市へエレベーター設置を求める署名が提出された。そばに渡線橋もあるが、同様に階段の上り下りが必要で通行しにくかった。

式典には前葉泰幸市長や住民ら四十人が訪れ、テープカットで祝った。地元の南立誠地区自治会連合会会長の青木悟さん(63)は「高齢化が進んでいるのでありがたい。大事に使います」と話した。

テープカットをして、エレベーターの利用開始を祝う関係者たち=津駅西口で
Two new elevators were installed inside the underground passage connecting the East Exit and West Exit of the station, making it possible to get between the areas on either side of the station without having to use the stairwells in the underground passage. Other work involved completely renovating the 70 m long underground passage originally completed in 1974, replacing the ceiling, walls, and floor.