daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #5081
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Well I didn't think I did all that good a job, with my stammering and getting weird looks for talking into my phone by myself--but hey, sure, what the heck. My commute is LOOOOONNGGG.
a) You did great

b) I got plenty of weird looks just for being me (5' 11", 230, think football player) when I was there

c) The longer the video, the better it is, in my opinion anyways...

starrwulfe liked this post
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #5082
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

A close friend of mine lives in Futako-tamagawa and we'd catch the train into Shibuya quite often. I was a little confused though as there seemed to be tunnelled sections with rapid services, are there passing loops or something of the sort on that line?
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #5083
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Yeah, Den'en Toshi Line has passing tracks at Sakura Shin-machi (桜新町). The alignment at this point runs under a fairly narrow street, so they designed it on two separate levels underground, one for each direction. You can't see it from the platform because there's a wall in between the two tracks:

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #5084
quashlo

The changes with the Sōtetsu–Tōkyū Link will be fascinating, as there will definitely be some competing interests… Sōtetsu will want to secure as many direct services to Shibuya, Shinjuku, and Ikebukuro as possible, but this will work against Tōkyū’s bread-and-butter service to and from Yokohama.

As mentioned previously, forecasted traffic on the new link:
Morning rush: 10 to 14 tph
Other times: 4 to 6 tph

Even with the new station at Shin-Yokohama, there’s not much of interest on the Sōtetsu network (just a bunch of bedtowns, really). I think it will be difficult to justify more than 2 to 4 tph direct onto the Tōyoko Line off-peak, maybe 6 to 8 tph morning rush. I imagine the rest will be through to the Meguro Line, with timed cross-platform transfers at Hiyoshi or Musashi Kosugi to serve passengers continuing onto Shibuya.

Not to peddle my work around too much, but here’s that one-hour midday time-slice of the Tōyoko Line from earlier… Hiyoshi is two stations below Musashi Kosugi. What’s obvious here is there is only one location where Tōyoko Line trains can pass each other north of Hiyoshi, and that’s Jiyūgaoka. Assuming no significant changes to stopping patterns—probably a valid assumption, given that the Tōyoko Line is a well-developed corridor and Sōtetsu is a relatively minor railway in comparison—they could probably squeeze in a limited-stop service every 30-minute cycle… A limited express (green) would require some of the locals at Jiyūgaoka to wait for a second train to pass, while an express (red) could probably squeeze in without that, perhaps passing the local at Shibuya instead.

Sending 2 tph through on limited-stop services is probably an acceptable compromise, as sending only locals through probably wouldn’t make Sōtetsu too happy. The other 2 tph on through-service could be locals, pushing out Tōyoko Line locals from Yokohama onto the Meguro Line with a timed cross-platform transfer at Hiyoshi.

Shown in light blue:

I suppose there may also be some room for more drastic schedule changes if they get more creative with the Meguro Line tracks up to Den'en Chōfu, using them more like a quadruple-track section of the Tōyoko Line. There are crossovers at Musashi Kosugi and Den'en Chōfu that could allow them to switch from Meguro Line to Tōyoko Line if the schedule is engineered as such.

pudgym29 liked this post

Last edited by quashlo; March 20th, 2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #5085
quashlo

Hopes and anxiety surround Ōita Station building
http://www.oita-press.co.jp/localNew...348264306.html

Quote:
 完全高架化した新しいJR大分駅(大分市)が開業し17日で1年。商業機能の充実もあって、1日平均700人増えた利用者には好評のようだ。注目される中心市街地への人の流れは「今のところ、増えもせず減りもせず」(商店街関係者)だが、2015年春に控える駅ビル開業に、期待と不安が入り交じる。

15日午後の駅構内。駅近くに住む自営業男性(65)は「にぎやかで便利。買い物によく来るようになった」。近くの駐車場に車を止め、駅構内のスーパーに息子(1)を連れて来た大分市内の主婦(29)は「利用しやすい。商店街での買い物のついで」。鉄道を使わない利用者も増えている。
 JR九州によると、大分駅の乗降客は昨年より2%増え1日約3万4千人。主に半径50キロ以内の利用客への売り上げが伸びたという。スーパーや飲食の店が入る構内の商業施設には、約490万人(レジ通過延べ数)が来場。売上額は目標を14%上回っている。
 JR九州大分支社の津高守支社長は「駅南北の人の流れがスムーズになり、1年目の手応えは90点以上」と評価。2年後に駅ビルが開業することを踏まえ、「よそから大分市の中心市街地に人が集まる仕掛けづくりが重要。周辺自治体や商店街とも連携しなければ」と意気込んでいる。
 にぎわいの波及効果に期待する駅北側の商店街。市中央町商店街振興組合の阿部満理事長は駅ビルについて「郊外に流れた客を引き戻す力はあるが、既存商店街の売り上げまで持っていってしまうのでは」と不安を拭えない様子だ。駅ビル開業が先行した鹿児島市の商店街を参考に、個店の魅力をアップさせる支援策を模索しているという。
 大分駅を中心にホルトホール大分の完成、大分パルコ跡の病院建設、道路整備など動きが慌ただしい。不動産鑑定士の安東正二さん(大分市)は「景気回復の兆しも見え、駅周辺は土地の取引が活発化しそう。中心市街地活性化は、このムードを府内、中央町にどう波及させられるかにかかっている」と指摘している。

高架化1年を迎える大分駅。利用客でにぎわう大分駅のコンコース=15日
Ōita Station celebrated the one-year anniversary of completion of grade-separation works on 2013.03.17, and there has been some good news, with average daily ridership having increased by about 700 passengers (2%) to approx. 34,000 passengers entries and exits partially as a result of expanded retail facilities. Fare revenues on local trips (within 50 km radius) have increased, with the retail facility exceeding sales targets by 14%.

The next big milestone is the opening of the new station tenant building in spring 2015, which is hoped will bring new vitality to the central city and attract customers who have fled to suburban shopping centers.

A walk in the neighborhood around Ōita Station (2012.12), showing some of the ongoing changes, including construction of the new station tenant building and the new bike parking facilities underneath the elevated JR tracks.

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #5086
quashlo

Chichibu Railway 7800 series enters service

Ex-Tōkyū 8090 series, rebuilt by Tōkyū Techno System and delivered to Chichibu Railway in December of last year. So far, there’s only one unit (two cars). First day of service (2013.03.16):

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #5087
quashlo

Refurbished 205 series units begin operating on Nikkō Line

This was also with the schedule changes on 2013.03.16:

This also meant the retirement of the 107 series:

Old March 20th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #5088
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
What's obvious here is there is only one location where Tōyoko Line trains can pass each other north of Hiyoshi, and that's Jiyūgaoka.
Trains can also pass at Motosumiyoshi too-- locals wait while expresses pass on the outside tracks non-stop. There's also a set of crossovers south of here for yard movements since it sits directly over Motosumiyoshi Yard. The last trains of the night down here always go out of service here instead of Musashi-Kosugi on both Toyoko and Meguro lines.

At the open house, it was touched upon that they could use the four-track section in such a way like the Tobu Tojo and Isesaki lines between Hiyoshi and Den'en-Chofu.

The tunnel portals will be right at the end of where the layover tracks end, just south of Hiyoshi Station. Remember, this is why the extended portion of the platforms here are nothing more than plywood and scaffolding; they're going to need to take it down in a hurry and make track changes quickly, to accomodate the addition and probably make Hiyoshi a local only (8 car only) stop for a week or so while they do it. Hopefully they do it during a long vacation period so as to not screw commutes up.

One big question I want to ask: Who's running it, Sotetsu or Tokyu? That makes a big difference in fare structure and how people will use the service. It could also be run by a third party, like the Minato-Mirai line, which even though it's a 5 station extension of the Toyoko Line, Kanagawa prefecture and Yokohama city own the facilites and contract Tokyu to operate through there, charging a different price that's added on when you exit the system. I suspect this will be the likely outcome here, and that means people looking to save money going to places like Shin Yokohama (which could prove to be a cash cow if they do it right) would save time versus transferring to the JR Yokohama line at Kikuna, but probably cost more.

Last edited by starrwulfe; March 20th, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #5089
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 464

Tobu takes delivery of first two 60000 series trains for the Noda Line

Hitachi churned this two sets out just a day or so ago and was spotted in Saitama yesterday. How do the train guys over here know where to go, and what time these kinds of deliveries will happen?

As you can tell, the 60000 series is a slightly more up-to-date version of the 50090 and 50070 series that run on Tobu's Tojo line. It's still a Hitachi made "A-Train" model, but features a lot of energy efficient systems like LED lighting throughout, LCD interior passenger info displays, full color LED destination signs outside, and so on.

Kind of a strange color combo, cobalt blue and day-glo green... Tobu never seems to standardize its rolling stock livery unlike a lot of Tokyo area operators...
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #5090
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
The graphic shows the alignment in dashed red... There are three stations proposed (駅舎):

International Terminal
Domestic Terminal 1
Domestic Terminal 2

Other details:
http://www.decn.co.jp/decn/modules/d...01303190102001

Their recommended option is to make it entirely underground. Envisioned frequency is every 3-5 minutes.

http://www.senmonshi.com/archive/01/019FJIaw01U79O.asp

This one has more details on the expansion / construction of terminal facilities, but mentions that the trains would be 2 cars long, each car 12 m long. Design speed 40 km/h, minimum curve radius 70 m, maximum grade 6%.
^
So this is basically designed to 'replace' the free shuttle bus service that runs between the three terminals?

In that case, since it's only three stations, then it shouldn't cost a lot.

Personally, I'd like to see them use this:

Mitsubishi Crystal Mover

Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #5091
quashlo

Quote:
Trains can also pass at Motosumiyoshi too—
Oops, thanks for catching… My mind is on too many things.

The funny thing is that Hiyoshi is and has always been a fairly important station for the Tōyoko Line, and they used to have meets (local + express) and passes (local + limited express), but the Meguro Line extension in 2008 converted the Tōyoko Line’s passing tracks at the station. While they moved at least some of the limited express passes to Moto-Sumiyoshi, they can’t do cross-platform meets there because there are no platforms for the passing tracks.

Anyways, you touched on the thing that I think is most interesting about all of this from a scheduling perspective… If this were all a simple quadruple-track situation like the Keiō Line and Keiō New Line, where both lines still serve the same terminus (Shinjuku) it would be simple… Even the Tōjō Line seems relatively simple in comparison, as both the Tōbu-only trains and the through-servicing trains onto the Fukutoshin Line / Yūrakuchō Line still serve Ikebukuro. In that case, Tōyoko Line would take all the limited-stop services, Meguro Line would take all the local services. I suppose what makes all of this discussion so interesting though is that it’s quadruple-track to completely different destinations (方向別複々線)—Shibuya and Meguro—and both the Tōyoko Line and Meguro Line currently each have their own limited-stop services.
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #5092
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
^
So this is basically designed to 'replace' the free shuttle bus service that runs between the three terminals?
The implication from one of the articles is that they want to design it exclusively for passengers moving between terminals who currently have to go through security a second time at their destination terminal.

Quote:
羽田空港では、例えば国内線第2ターミナルと国際線ターミナルとの間で乗り継ぎ客はいったん保安検査を済ませた制限区域内から出て、もう一度、保 安検査を受けなければならない。国際ハブ空港としての機能強化の面からは、この乗り継ぎの利便性改善が課題になっている。
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #5093
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11245

Quote:
Tobu takes delivery of first two 60000 series trains for the Noda Line

Hitachi churned this two sets out just a day or so ago and was spotted in Saitama yesterday. How do the train guys over here know where to go, and what time these kinds of deliveries will happen?

As you can tell, the 60000 series is a slightly more up-to-date version of the 50090 and 50070 series that run on Tobu's Tojo line. It's still a Hitachi made "A-Train" model, but features a lot of energy efficient systems like LED lighting throughout, LCD interior passenger info displays, full color LED destination signs outside, and so on.

Kind of a strange color combo, cobalt blue and day-glo green... Tobu never seems to standardize its rolling stock livery unlike a lot of Tokyo area operators...
Actually that's a way to "standardize" trains using one particular line so that commuters will not be confused with what train goes through which station… if the trains were standardize to be like other train operators in Tokyo, sometimes, passengers may not immediately recognize the color scheme, unless a long-running announcement is made to alert commuters of such changes

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 03:46 AM   #5094
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
How do the train guys over here know where to go, and what time these kinds of deliveries will happen?
Other than monitoring the message boards, I think most use the magazine "tetsudou daiya jouhou DJ" which publishes a list of movements for the coming month. That, along with a freight timetable and passenger jikokuhyou, will allow you to estimate the pathings of these trains. As the passenger trains are so numerous at least on the main lines, it's not difficult to see where the freights will be squeezed in, even if you don't have a station by station diagram of freight train movements.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:36 AM   #5095
quashlo

Kumamoto City to embark on major bus network restructuring
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/kum...OYT8T00735.htm

Quote:
 熊本市と民間バス4社は、市中心部の渋滞や競合路線の解消を図る路線の再編計画をとりまとめた。赤字路線に対する市の補助金を削減する狙いもある。2016年度からの運用開始を目指す。(手嶋由梨)

4社は九州産交バス、熊本電鉄、熊本バスと、この3社の出資で2007年に設立され段階的に市営バス路線を引き継いでいる熊本都市バス。

同市内のバス路線網を巡っては、各社が熊本交通センター(熊本市中央区)を発着点としているため、市中心部で路線が競合し慢性的な渋滞も引き起こしている。さらに、マイカー普及によるバス利用者の減少に伴い、赤字路線への市の補助額が年間5億円超に膨らんでいる問題もある。このため運行体制の効率化は急務となっていた。

計画によると、熊本都市バスが各社の運行体制を総合的に管理。競合路線ではダイヤが最適となるよう調整し、各地に乗り換え拠点を設けて市街地までの幹線バスと郊外の支線バスに分ける「ゾーンバスシステム」も導入する。また、利用者が一目で分かるよう共通の時刻表も作る。

市交通政策総室は「便数を整理することで利便性の向上にもつながる。バス事業者と協力し、実施に向けて取り組んでいきたい」としている。

市は試験的に県道熊本菊陽線・二里木―子飼本町間のダイヤを調整。この区間のバス停では同時刻に2本のバスが到着したり、到着の間隔が15分あいていたりしており、4月から運行間隔を5~10分程度に平準化する。これで、10便以上の減便につながるという。

熊本市中心部で数珠つなぎになって走行する路線バス
Kumamoto City will begin coordinating with four major bus operators in the city to help reduce route duplication / competition, alleviate traffic congestion in the central city, and eliminate public funding for routes operating in the red. The changes will take effect starting in FY2016.

The four bus companies involved are Kyūshū Sankō Bus, Kumamoto Electric Railway, Kumamoto Bus, and Kumamoto City Bus. The latter inherited the former municipally-operated buses and is funded by the other three companies. However, the network is concentrated around the Kumamoto Transportation Center in Chūō Ward, resulting in route competition and duplication and traffic congestion. At the same time, ridership has been declining as people have been shifting to cars, meaning that the city has been forced to increase its funding for routes operating in the red.

The new plan calls for Kumamoto City Bus to coordinate operations of the other three companies, including modifying schedules to streamline any duplication and constructing new transfer hubs to facilitate a hub and spoke network consisting of trunk routes to and from the central city and branch lines connecting the suburbs with the local hub. They will also create combined schedules that allow passengers to easily see services, regardless of who operates them.

As part of this, they will do a trial introduction onto the two bus routes on the Kumamoto–Kikuyō route between Niriki and Kokai Honmachi. Due to lack of coordination, there are occasionally gaps of 15 minutes in the schedule, but they will now normalize that to 5-10 minute headways, eliminating over 10 trips in the process.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:41 AM   #5096
quashlo

Improvements at Hanshin Sannomiya Station complete
http://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/shakai...05828792.shtml

Quote:
 2007年から約5年半にわたって続いていた阪神電鉄三宮駅(神戸市中央区)の改良工事が20日、完了した。東改札口の新設のほか、ホームの拡幅などで利用者の利便性が向上。全面改装が終わった西改札口ではこの日午前、除幕式があり、生まれ変わった駅の門出を祝った。

1933(昭和8)年の同駅開業以来初めてとなる大規模な改良工事で、総事業費は約130億円。災害時の避難経路確保や混雑解消などを目的とした東改札口は12年3月に完成。ほかに、ホームを拡幅し、エレベーターも3基新設した。

西改札口ではコンコースの拡張工事などが進められ、飲食など「駅ナカ」6店舗が並ぶ「スクラ三宮」などもこの日オープン。午前11時からの除幕式には、兵庫県の井戸敏三知事や神戸市の矢田立郎市長らが出席し、同電鉄の藤原崇起社長とともに植栽に囲まれた駅名表示を披露した。

徳久信幸駅長は「バリアフリー化も終わり、お客さまに快適にご利用いただけると思う」と話した。姫路市から買い物に訪れた大学生(22)は「西改札口の雰囲気が明るくなり、表示板も見やすくなった。ミント神戸に行くときは東改札口が便利だし、使いやすい駅になりましたね」と喜んでいた。

全面改装された西改札口付近。通路も広くなった=20日、阪神電鉄三宮駅(撮影・山崎 竜)

西改札口のリニューアルオープンで執り行われた除幕式=20日午前、阪神三宮駅(撮影・山崎 竜)
Work on this ¥13 billion project, which began in October 2007, is finally complete. Most of the more visible improvements, including construction of a new East Exit, redesign of the track layout, and widening of the platforms have already been complete for some time, but they’ve now also finished the complete renovation of the West Exit, marking the full completion of the project with a ceremony on 2013.03.20. The renovation involved expansion of the station concourse and construction of a small ekinaka zone comprising six stores (SCRa Sannomiya).

Kōbe Shimbun video report:

Opening day:

Hanshin did a bang-up job on this… Very pleased with the results.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:42 AM   #5097
quashlo

Residents oppose Nankai proposal to eliminate staff at Mikanodai Station
http://www.asahi.com/national/update...303180033.html

Quote:
 【長野佑介】南海電鉄が高野線美加の台駅(大阪府河内長野市)を無人駅にする計画に対し、地元住民4448人が反対署名を提出した。経費節減が理由だが、住民側は南海が約30年前に住宅地を整備したとして反発する。駅の無人化は各地に広がり、地元自治体などが人件費を負担して駅員を置く動きも出ている。

「無人化ありきの姿勢はおかしい」。3月3日、河内長野市美加の台3丁目の小学校体育館で、南海電鉄が無人化に向け開いた説明会。住民約300人から反対の声が相次いだ。

南海側は少子高齢化などによる乗降客の減少を理由に、4月から無人化すると説明。駅員がいる近くの駅と通話できるインターホンや監視カメラを設置して「利便性や防犯面に支障が出ないようにする」と理解を求めたが、住民側とは平行線のままだった。

南海電鉄の美加の台駅。一番下がホーム、その上が改札、地上とつながる出入り口が最上階という3層構造だ=大阪府河内長野市石仏

南海電鉄・美加の台駅の地図

南海電鉄の説明会では用意した椅子すべてに住民らが座り、後方で立ったまま聞く人もいた=今月3日、大阪府河内長野市美加の台3丁目
This is a minor station on the Nankai Kōya Line in Kawachi Nagano City in the suburban new town developments in southern Ōsaka Prefecture. Daily entries and exits are about 5,000. Nankai wants to convert the station to an unstaffed station, but local residents have begun a petition to oppose the plan.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:43 AM   #5098
quashlo

Segment east of JR Utsunomiya Station will be prioritized in proposed LRT project
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/toc...OYT8T01689.htm

Quote:
 宇都宮市の佐藤栄一市長は19日の市議会各会派代表者会議で、次世代型路面電車(LRT)を導入することを柱とした「東西基幹公共交通の実現に向けた基本方針」を示した。市がLRT導入について具体的な方針を示すのは初めて。

基本方針は、渋滞が慢性化しているJR宇都宮駅東側を優先し、路線バスの多い駅西側は、東側の需要の推移を見守りつつ、ICカードの導入など既存のバス路線の利便性の向上を図るとした。佐藤市長は会議で、「基本方針に基づき、新年度は導入ルートなど具体的な調査研究、市民理解の促進に努めたい」と話した。

また、佐藤市長は、副市長に国土交通省街路交通施設課街路事業調整官の荒川辰雄氏(49)を充てる方針も明らかにした。市議会3月定例会で、LRTの事業化を含めた交通体系の確立に向け、国交省の職員を招く方針を示していた。荒川氏は1989年に旧建設省に入省。2004年から高知県都市計画課長として、路面電車が乗り入れる高知駅前の整備などに携わった。
The mayor of Utsunomiya City announced that they will prioritize the eastern segment of the proposed LRT alignment (i.e., east of JR Utsunomiya Station). The west side, which has a lot of bus traffic, will follow after they have a chance to see how much passenger demand there is on the east side and after they roll out some improvements to the existing bus services, such as introduction of IC farecards. He will also elect a former MLIT staff member as vice-mayor to help the city establish a new transportation network, including the proposed LRT project. This is one of the more controversial LRT projects, but hopefully it won’t get killed like the Sakai proposal.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:44 AM   #5099
quashlo

Tōkyō Station and NY Grand Central Station sign sister station agreement
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A320C1CR8000/

Quote:
 東京駅とニューヨーク市中心部のグランドセントラル駅の「姉妹駅」提携の締結式が19日、同駅で行われた。JR東日本によると、日米の駅の姉妹提携は初めて。グランドセントラル駅にとっては初の姉妹駅となった。

グランドセントラルの現駅舎が2月に完成から100年となり、東京駅赤れんが駅舎も来年12月に100周年を迎えるのを機に提携が決まった。

グランドセントラル駅を運営するメトロノース鉄道のハワード・パーミット社長は記者会見で「世界に同じくらい素晴らしい駅はほとんどなく、提携相手を探していた」と東京駅を称賛。JR東の小県方樹副会長は「2つの駅のみならず、日米両国の良好な関係を発展させるきっかけになることを願う」と語った。

式典会場では締結に先立ち、日本の駅弁文化を紹介する催し「ジャパン・ウイーク」が開かれ、多くの旅行者やニューヨーカーらでにぎわった。

旅行でニューヨークを訪れたドイツ人のオズギュル・イルディスさん(33)は購入した弁当を提げて「旅路を急ぐ時でもさっと買えるのがいい。新鮮そうで食べるのが楽しみ」と笑顔で話した。

東京駅は2006年、赤れんが造りで横長の構造が似ているオランダのアムステルダム中央駅と姉妹提携を結んでいる。(ニューヨーク=共同)
The official ceremony was held on 2013.03.19.

ANN news report (2013.03.20):

Old March 21st, 2013, 08:45 AM   #5100
quashlo

Wi-Fi makes strides on subway systems
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...10C13A3000000/

Quote:
東京近郊をはじめとする大都市圏の鉄道各線で、走行中の車内でスマートフォン(スマホ)を使う際のインターネット接続環境が充実してきた。東京地下鉄(東京メトロ)や都営地下鉄では3月下旬から、全線で走行中の車内から携帯電話回線に接続可能になる。東京近郊の私鉄路線でも、地下区間への携帯電話のアンテナ敷設や車内への公衆無線LANのアクセスポイント(AP)設置が進む。移動中でも乗客が快適にネットを使える環境を整えることで乗客へのサービス向上を図るほか、災害時の連絡手段を確保する狙いもある。

■東京都心の地下鉄、月内に「圏外」消滅

地下鉄各社や、営業路線に地下区間や長いトンネルを抱える私鉄各社では、これまで「圏外」が当たり前だった地下区間やトンネル内でも携帯電話回線につながるようアンテナ設置を進めている。

東京メトロは全線への携帯電話回線のアンテナ設置が完了し、21日正午から走行中の地下鉄車内で第3世代携帯電話(3G)や高速通信規格のLTE回線に接続してインターネット接続可能になる。ただし、大規模改修工事をしている有楽町線・副都心線の千川-小竹向原駅間のみ、アンテナ設置は16年度の予定となっている。都営地下鉄は3月末までに全線で携帯電話が利用可能になる見通しだ。

東京近郊の私鉄各線でも地下区間への携帯アンテナ設置が進む。16日に地下化した東急東横線の渋谷駅付近や、23日に地下化する小田急小田原線の下北沢駅付近では、開通当初から携帯電話回線のアンテナを設置している。

このほか、JR総武快速線・成田線、東急田園都市線・目黒線、京王線・京王相模原線、東京モノレール、つくばエクスプレスなども、それぞれ地下区間にアンテナを設置済みだ。「既存路線にアンテナを追加するのは作業時間が短く難しいため、新たに地下化する区間では、開通前の段階でアンテナを設置するケースが増えていくだろう」(NTTドコモ)

■07年から検討・試験 本格導入決定から2年強で全線に

東京メトロの場合、地下駅へのアンテナ整備は以前から進めていたものの、トンネル内は圏外となっており「多くの乗客から携帯電話を使えるようにしてほしいとの声が寄せられていた」(東京メトロ事業開発部IT担当の清水新治課長補佐)。携帯電話の主要機能が音声通話からデータ通信に移ったこともあり、アンテナ整備が乗客へのサービス向上につながると判断した。

同社は全長195.1キロの営業路線のうち地下区間が168.6キロと国内最長。走行中の車両が地震で駅間に停止するといった緊急時を想定し、「携帯電話回線のアンテナが整備されていれば駅間でも乗客が外部と連絡を取れる」(清水課長補佐)ことも考慮した。

通信各社などで構成する業界団体の「移動通信基盤整備協会(トンネル協会)」からの要望を受け、東京メトロがアンテナ設置に向けた検討を始めたのは2007年のこと。同年12月~08年1月には、銀座線の上野-上野広小路駅間と日比谷線の神谷町-六本木駅間で試験的にアンテナを設置し、電波の飛び具合を確認した。

その後、11年1月に同協会から正式にアンテナ設置の要請を受けて工事がスタートした。レールや架線など鉄道施設の保守工事の合間でアンテナ設置工事を行う必要があり時間を要したものの、工事日程を確保できた区間から順次・開通させていき、2年強で全線への設置を完了した。

■アンテナは4社共用 駅間は「LCX」で整備

中央に見える太いケーブルが、地下駅のホーム端から伸びる漏洩同軸ケーブル(LCX)。車両の窓の高さに合わせて敷設してある(東京・千代田の日比谷線霞ケ関駅)

地下駅の場合は、ホームや改札階の見通しの良い天井部に、電波が全方向へ広がる「無指向性アンテナ」を設置すればよく、比較的整備が容易だ。ただ、トンネル内は駅間の距離が一定でないうえ、カーブや勾配が多く電波が飛びにくい環境にある。

このためケーブルに沿って電波を発信できる「漏洩同軸ケーブル(LCX)」をトンネル壁面に敷設することで、どの区間でも安定して通信できるようにした。LCXは直径5センチほどと比較的太く、また車内の電波強度を高めるため車両の窓の高さに合わせて敷設してあり、車内からもLCXを見ることができる。

一方で、LCXは駅間のトンネル全体にわたり工事が必要になりコスト高になるほか、保守点検の手間が増えるという課題もある。そこで丸ノ内線の新宿-新宿三丁目駅間のように、駅間の距離が短く直線的である区間は特定の方向に強い電波を発信する「指向性アンテナ」を駅のホーム端に設置し、トンネル内をカバーしている。

駅間が短く、カーブや勾配も少ない区間では、LCXを使わず設置や保守が容易な指向性アンテナでカバーしている(東京・新宿の丸ノ内線新宿駅)

アンテナの設置・運営はトンネル協会が担い、設置・運営費用も通信各社の負担だ。設置するアンテナはNTTドコモ、KDDI(au)、ソフトバンクモバイル、イー・アクセス(イー・モバイル)の4社共用で、使用する電波の周波数が他社より高いUQコミュニケーションズのみ別のアンテナで対応している。

地下空間やトンネル内のアンテナ整備は、東京近郊だけでなく新幹線や主要都市の地下鉄などにも広がっている。新幹線では、東海道新幹線と九州新幹線の全線、東北新幹線の東京-仙台駅間、山陽新幹線の新大阪-三原駅間でアンテナを整備済み。地下鉄では、仙台市営地下鉄と福岡市営地下鉄の全線、札幌・名古屋・大阪の各市営地下鉄の一部区間において、走行中の列車内で携帯電話回線につながるようになっている。

■列車内に公衆無線LAN 幅広い利用者・端末にサービス提供

携帯電話回線のアンテナに続いて整備が進んでいるのが、車両への公衆無線LANのAP設置だ。携帯電話回線を利用できるのは契約のある利用者・端末に限られるが、公衆無線LANは回線契約のないパソコンやタブレット端末、携帯型ゲーム機などでも接続可能。日本人だけでなく、訪日外国人が高額な携帯電話の国際ローミングを使うことなく、手持ちのスマホなどでネット接続できるという利点もある。

小田急電鉄は特急列車「ロマンスカー」の一部車両で12年12月、JR以外の特急列車としては初めて公衆無線LANサービスを開始。京成電鉄も同月から特急列車「スカイライナー」で公衆無線LANサービスを順次展開している。

JRでは「成田エクスプレス」「スーパーひたち」で公衆無線LANを導入済みのほか、山手線でも実証実験を2回にわたり実施。東京モノレールも12年10月から車両へのAPの設置を進めている。特急型車両への設置が多いのは、付加サービスとして価値を訴求しやすいことに加え、通勤型車両より車両数が少なく短期間に全車両へ設置しやすいことも背景にあるようだ。

小田急が車内への公衆無線LAN設置を検討し始めたのは2000年ごろと今から10年以上も前。「外出先でのネット接続ニーズが爆発的に増える中、乗客と通信会社の双方から要望が寄せられていた。主力車両のロマンスカーに先進的な設備を導入することで、ブランドイメージを向上させたいとの思いもあった」(小田急電鉄経営政策本部IT推進部の長友雄課長)

02年にはフィンランドの携帯端末メーカー大手であるノキアと共同で、ロマンスカー車内にAPを試験的に設置したものの、「当時は多くの方が使えるものではなかった」(長友課長)ため、本格導入を見送った経緯がある。

■「駅と一緒に、車両にも公衆無線LANを」

UQコミュニケーションズが開発した鉄道・バス向けのWiMAXルーター。一般向けの据置型ルーターと同程度の大きさだが、難燃性樹脂を使ったほか耐振動性も高めているという

その後しばらくは通信関連サービスの話が出なかったものの、思わぬ形で転機が訪れる。同社が進めている複々線化事業の一環として、成城学園前駅とその前後の区間を06年に地下化したところ「電波が届きにくい」との苦情が同社に多数寄せられたのだ。モバイル環境でもネットを快適に使いたいというニーズの強さを実感する機会となった。

ロマンスカーへのAP設置が具体化したのは11年夏。同社は各駅への公衆無線LANのAP設置を検討すべく、公衆無線LAN事業者各社からのプレゼンを受けていた。このときKDDIが「当社ならば駅だけでなく、車両にもAPを設置できますよ」と働き掛けたのがきっかけだ。

KDDIは自社で公衆無線LAN事業を手掛けるほか、系列のモバイルWiMAX(ワイマックス)事業者であるUQコミュニケーションズでも公衆無線LAN事業を行っている。UQにはJR東日本が出資していることもあり、09年6月から成田エクスプレス車内にUQが開発した公衆無線LANのAPを設置している。

UQはこのノウハウを生かし、「鉄道・バス車両に向けた汎用の小型AP装置を開発し、各社の車両へ簡単に公衆無線LANを導入できるようにした」(UQコミュニケーションズ技術部門の要海敏和副部門長)。KDDIは駅と列車内のAP整備を一体で売り込める体制を整えていたのだ。

■看板列車「スーパーはこね」は搭載見送り 観光客主体で苦情懸念

小田急電鉄は列車内の公衆無線LANサービス導入にあたり、ロマンスカーの中でもビジネス客の比率が高い「EXE」型車両を選んだ(東京・新宿の小田急線新宿駅)

こうして列車内へのAP設置が決まったが、導入までにいくつか課題があった。まず導入車両だ。ロマンスカーには複数の種類の車両があり、現行車両で代表格となっているのは箱根への最速列車である「スーパーはこね」で使われる「VSE」型車両。

しかし、スーパーはこねで公衆無線LANサービスを提供するのはためらいがあった。「スマホや携帯型ゲーム機の使用をめぐっても、ラッシュ時を中心にしばしば苦情が寄せられる。観光客が多く、くつろげる雰囲気を重視しているスーパーはこねの車内で、パソコンの打鍵音がトラブルになったりしないか」(長友課長)という点だ。

結局VSEへの搭載は見送り、より停車駅が多くビジネス客の比率も高い「さがみ」「えのしま」や「ホームウェイ」に使われる「EXE」型車両を選んだ。EXEは座席数が多く、仮にそうした苦情があれば座席の移動で対応しやすいというのも背景の一つだ。

ロマンスカーの車内に設置された公衆無線LANのアクセスポイント(AP)。車内をまんべんなくカバーすることや乗客の目に触れにくいことなどを考慮して設置場所を決めている(東京・新宿の小田急線新宿駅)

全線にわたって安定した通信環境を確保することも課題だった。車内のAPとインターネットとを結ぶ中継回線には、UQのモバイルWiMAX回線を使用しているが、当初は沿線の一部地域でWiMAXの基地局が整備されておらず、圏外になっていた。そこで実際の列車で移動しながらWiMAXの電波強度を実測。電波の弱い沿線地域や、ビル内で電波の届きにくい新宿駅ホームにWiMAXの基地局を増設した。

車内にまんべんなく無線LANの電波が届き、かつAPが乗客の目に触れにくいよう、APの設置場所も試行錯誤だった。その結果、APは両端の乗務員室と中間車の洗面ブースやカフェブースなど、6両編成で5カ所、4両編成で3カ所に設置されている。個々のAPが中継用のWiMAX回線を1回線ずつ持っており、それを車内の利用者同士で分け合うことになる。

WiMAX回線の理論上の最大速度は、下り毎秒40メガビット。実効速度については公表していないが、「パソコンを使う乗客も多くいるとみており、今後WiMAX側の通信速度が低下した場合はUQに基地局を増設してもらう予定」(長友課長)。UQも「各APの運用情報は遠隔で監視しており、実効速度が低下しているAPは直ちに把握して対策できる」(要海副本部長)としている。

(電子報道部 金子寛人)
The biggest news is the completion of Wi-Fi installation on all underground segments of the Tōkyō Metro and Toei Subway networks, scheduled for later this month… Planning and trials began back in 2007, when antennas were tested on the Ueno – Ueno Hirokōji section of the Ginza Line and the Kamiyachō – Roppongi section of the Hibiya Line for two months (2007.12 to 2008.01). Construction began in January 2011, and while they were limited in how much time they had to perform the installation work, taking slots between rail and overhead maintenance work, they finished in a little over two years.

Non-directional antennas are sufficient for stations, but coverage inside tunnels required a combination of directional antennas (on short straight sections between stations such as Shinjuku – Shinjuku Sanchōme on the Marunouchi Line) and the more costly LCX (leaky coaxial cable).The infrastructure is shared between NTT DoCoMo, KDDI(au), SoftBank Mobile, and eAccess (eMobile), with separate antennas provided for UQ Communications.

Other rail operators are also moving forward with Wi-Fi systems. The two newest sections of underground rail—the newly-opened Tōyoko Line approach into Shibuya and the underground segment of the Odakyū Odawara Line—have or will have Wi-Fi coverage. Installation of antennas in underground sections of the JR Sōbu Rapid Line and Narita Line, Tōkyū Den’en Toshi Line and Meguro Line, Keiō Line and Keiō Sagamihara Line, Tōkyō Monorail, and Tsukuba Express are also complete. All sections of the Sendai Subway and the Fukuoka City Subway, as well as portions of the Sapporo Sapporo Subway, Nagoya Municipal Subway, and Ōsaka Municipal Subway have coverage. In December 2012, Odakyū’s Romancecar limited expresses became the first non-JR limited expresses to offer free public Wi-Fi—they began experimenting with Wi-Fi way back in 2002 in a joint trial with Finnish mobile giant Nokia. Things began to pick up when they undergrounded their main line near Seijō Gakuen in 2006 as part of the quadruple-tracking project, after which they began receiving complaints from passengers due to the poor coverage. KDDI later came to them and offered to supply onboard Wi-Fi systems for the Romancecar trains.

Meanwhile, Keisei Electric Railway will begin offering it on their Skyliner services starting this month. For JR, the Narita Express and Super Hitachi have coverage. All sections of the Tōkaidō and Kyūshū Shinkansen, as well as the Tōkyō – Sendai section of the Tōhoku Shinkansen and Shin-Ōsaka – Mihara section of the San’yō Shinkansen, are also covered.

However, there is still some concern about how passengers will receive the new Wi-Fi systems… In particular, many regular commuters are complaining about poor etiquette among mobile phone users. As a result, Odakyū has thus far opted not to install Wi-Fi on Super Hakone services, for fear of backlash from tourists.

fieldsofdreams liked this post