daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2013, 08:46 AM   #5101
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

More through-service videos, before the novelty wears off and our eyes get used to the variety...

Tōbu 50070 series at Motomachi–Chūkagai on the Minato Mirai Line:

Seibu 6000 series up and down the Tōyoko Line. Don’t care for the all-white ends on these, but love the sound.

A nice series of casual clips... Starts at Tamagawa, then on-board a Tōkyō Metro 7000 series operating as a Wakō-shi bound express. Disembark at Shinjuku Sanchōme for a bunch of clips, then up to street level for some clips at JR Shinjuku. Back underground, on-board a Tōkyō Metro 10000 series operating as an express bound for Motomachi–Chūkagai (limited express on Tōyoko Line). Disembark at Jiyūgaoka to board a local back to Tamagawa.

And, rush hour at Jiyūgaoka before through-servicing. The Tōkyō Metro 03 series and Tōkyū 9000 series have now disappeared from the line.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:30 PM   #5102
jonallen1966

Likes (Received): 13

more video from the last day of Shibuya : the guy would not leave

from http://www.japantrends.com/tokyu-toy...n-fan-goodbye/
jonallen1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:22 PM   #5103
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

I can truly understand the feeling of some passengers feeling really emotional especially when they have been using the same routes inside Shibuya Station for years, if not decades… it is like losing a (vital) part of a routine that one used to do and love while commuting. I mean, for a tenure of 80+ years, the former Shibuya Terminal for the Tokyu Toyoko Line has served legions of commuters everyday, including that man on the video, so it is all right to feel emotional on the very last day of service since it means he truly loves the service.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:04 PM   #5104
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

I was standing 10 feet away watching with awe... he wasn't the only one who was refusing to leave. Some also wanted to be the official last passenger to pass out the gate too.

Not gonna lie though... I was misty eyed when I saw them turning off the signs. I remember camping for hours in front of those turnstiles waiting for the first trains after a night of clubbing. Or especially during the evening of the East Japan Earthquake when I was hoping the place wouldn't be shaken apart in an aftershock.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:14 PM   #5105
quashlo

I don't know... I can appreciate the strong turnout (there are a lot of railfans, both casual and devoted, in Japan), but I think if five security guards are having to forcibly drag you away or you're obstructing regular passengers who are just trying to get through the faregates and home, you've crossed the line. He probably had a little too much to drink, as well.

Basically, the railway is a piece of infrastructure, and a lot of people rely on it to perform its basic functions... It's fine to enjoy and celebrate it, but without interfering with these functions. Unfortunately, "funeral railfans" (葬式鉄) can be some of the more obsessive of fans.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:24 PM   #5106
quashlo

Japan agrees to provide loan for Mumbai Metro Line 3
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...20C13A3FF1000/

Quote:
 日本とインド両政府が、インド西部ムンバイのメトロ(都市鉄道)3号線の建設資金として総額約2300億円の円借款契約を締結することが21日、分かった。遅くとも4月初旬までに合意する見通し。両国当局者を含めた複数の関係者が明らかにした。

日本はインドにとって最大の2国間有償援助国。2012年度は2669億円の円借款(合意ベース)を供与している。今回は単独事業として過去最大級とされるニューデリー―ムンバイ間の高速貨物鉄道建設計画に次ぐ規模で、日本政府は日系企業のインフラ輸出を後押ししたい考えだ。

新路線はムンバイの南北約33キロを地下鉄でつなぐ予定。14年中に着工し、20年にも開業を目指す。総工費は約4200億円で、うち5割超を円借款でまかなう。

インドは基本的に、大型プロジェクトを国際競争入札で実施。円借款適用の開発でも地元企業や中国、韓国企業などの価格競争力が勝り、日系企業の落札率は約9%(06~10年度)にとどまる。

だが、複数の小島の間を埋め立てて市街地を形成したムンバイでは、土壌環境が複雑なことに加え、歴史的な建造物が多いことなどから、地下鉄工事に非常に高い技術が必要とされる。

今回の入札は技術重視で実施される見通しで、価格競争にはなりにくいとの見方が強く、日系企業に有利とされる。また事業路線を区間ごとに切り分けるため、大きなリスクを嫌う日系企業にとっても、入札しやすい条件となる見通し。

ムンバイは人口約1200万人の大都市でインドの金融・商業の中心地。ただ、交通インフラの整備が遅れ、通勤ラッシュ時に列車の屋根によじ登るなどの危険な行為で、12年には約3500人が死亡、社会問題となっている。(ムンバイ=共同)
This is a ¥230 billion yen loan from Japan, which has become India’s largest provider of non-gratuitous financial aid. The loan is for a new 33 km north-south line to break ground in 2014, with opening scheduled for 2020. Total construction cost is ¥420 billion, so this loan will cover more than 50% of the cost.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM   #5107
quashlo

JICA preparing transport master plan, including new metro, for Colombo
http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/f...nid=1047557446

Quote:
Mar 21, 2013 (LBO) - Japan's aid agency is preparing a transport master plan for Sri Lanka's capital and its environs leading to the building of a mass transit system which it could finance, officials said.

Tetsuji Iida, senior representative of the Japan International Co-operation Agency told LBO that the transport master plan could come up with various recommendations including bus lanes, a Metro system or a combination.

JICA representative Tatsunori Higuchi said the agency will conduct origin and destination studies to monitor traffic patterns in the Greater Colombo region and also interview up to 50,000 commuters and residents as part of developing a transport master plan for the area.

He said plans of Sri Lanka's transport ministry, the urban development and road development agencies would be brought together in the master plan.

The RDA was building a circular expressway around the capital and plans for elevated city roads are also being explored.

Financing

Higuchi said the survey data analyzed, economic feasibility determined and proposals of the most appropriate transport modes would be made, which could include mass rail transit (MRT), light rail transit (LRT) or monorail options, he said.

"The Sri Lanka government can decide which transport mode should be introduced to Colombo," Higuchi said.

"Once Sri Lanka government requests JICA, we are ready to finance."

Defence and urban development secretary Gothabaya Rajapaksa told a business forum Wednesday that an MRT running from central Colombo to the Battaramulla area was under consideration.

It would connect bus and rail terminals in Colombo Fort with the Kotte administrative capital where many state agencies are being relocated to, he said.

An MRT system which can go underground in heavily built up areas could be least disruptive but also the most expensive option. An LRT system which is built on elevated tracks could be less expensive.

Costs of an MRT or overhead LRT system involve civil works, the cost of relocating existing housing as well as rolling stock and control systems.

JICA may not be able to fund the entire project on its own.

Mass transit system could cost several billions of dollars to build, depending on their length and needs cities with high population densities and commuters willing to pay relatively higher fares.

Costs

Iida said Sri Lankan commuters have got used to paying low rail and bus fares and Sri Lanka's bus route network was one of the most extensive in the region, which went to every place in the city.

Higuchi said with a port city also planned on reclaimed land as well as growth in tourism, transport needs in Metropolitan Colombo is expected to grow.

East Asian mass transit fares start from around two dollars, compared to about 10 cents for a bus in Sri Lanka. Subsidized rail fares are even cheaper.

In Sri Lanka travellers also pay rates comparable or higher rates than East Asian mass transit fares for three wheeler taxis.

In many countries commuters who would otherwise have used cars have shifted to MRTs, helping reduce congestion.

The transport master plan will take into account the entire system or roads and rail, Higuchi said.

A concession was earlier given to a private developer to build an LRT system, but nothing concrete came out of it. Another company has also proposed a rail link connecting the airport to Colombo.

JICA has funded the Delhi Metro. Delhi had a population of 5 million and Bangkok double that. But Sri Lanka's Western province had a population of over 5.0 million Higucchi said.

Jakarta is one of the last remaining large Asian capitals without a metro and it has a dedicated bus lane system - TransJakarta - which has come under fire for taking too much space and moving too little people.

Though MRT systems in some countries are publicly funded, some countries including Thailand and Malaysia private lines have been built with different firms operating different lines.

London's underground steam Metropolitan Railway opened in 1863 was also built by the people themselves. Electric 'tube' trains appeared in 1890. In the 20th century the London underground system was expropriated by rulers.
Good to see them turning to all of South Asia… They’ve got a hand in projects in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and now Sri Lanka.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:27 PM   #5108
quashlo

JR West announces details of Fukuyama Station South Exit development
http://response.jp/article/2013/03/21/194132.html

Quote:
3月21日、JR西日本グループは、福山駅南口の開発計画概要を発表した。今回の計画では、駅を中心とした街づくり、にぎわいの創出による地域の活性化を目指している。

開発規模は既存施設の改装込みで約2100平方メートル。建物は鉄骨造平屋建てを計画し、一部は2階建てとなる見通し。JR西日本、ジェイアールサービスネット岡山、山陽SC開発が主体となって進められる。

開発スケジュールは、工事着手が2013年春、工事完了が2014年春を予定している。
Official press release:
http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl...page_3511.html

Current situation:

Render:

This will be a small (21,000 sq m, including existing facilities to be renovated), two-story station tenant building at the South Exit of the station, breaking ground in spring 2013 and scheduled for completion in spring 2014. Development leads are West Japan Railway Company (JR West), JR Service Net Okayama (ジェイアールサービスネット岡山), and San’yō Shopping Center Development (山陽SC開発).
Old March 21st, 2013, 10:29 PM   #5109
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
(there are a lot of railfans, both casual and devoted, in Japan)
Which brings up a question I've been mulling over.

I'm planning on visiting Japan again this year. Unlike most people who want to see temples and geisha girls (usually they equate geishas with prostitutes, which is unfortunate), I'm going for the infrastructure.

If I'm taking a lot of photos & video, how am I going to be received? I've seen more than a few videos shot by westerners where the last part is some private security guard or even police telling people "no photos" or similar.

Ideally, I'd like to take some cabview footage as well as other viewpoints, but I do wonder how that would go over...

This is not to say that I ran into any problems the last time I was there, I didn't. I'm considerate and polite, but I think it's still wise to ask...
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:52 PM   #5110
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
(usually they equate geishas with prostitutes, which is unfortunate)
W-whuh?
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:54 PM   #5111
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
I don't know... I can appreciate the strong turnout (there are a lot of railfans, both casual and devoted, in Japan), but I think if five security guards are having to forcibly drag you away or you're obstructing regular passengers who are just trying to get through the faregates and home, you've crossed the line. He probably had a little too much to drink, as well.

Basically, the railway is a piece of infrastructure, and a lot of people rely on it to perform its basic functions... It's fine to enjoy and celebrate it, but without interfering with these functions. Unfortunately, "funeral railfans" (葬式鉄) can be some of the more obsessive of fans.
I agree, he could have been more civil. With that said, it looks like the guards see the funny side here an all in all this is just a funny experience for everyone if the guy dosen't mind to have his (drunk)face on Youtube.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:57 PM   #5112
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
If I'm taking a lot of photos & video, how am I going to be received?
Shouldn't be a problem, especially if it's some special situation like a new station or train. I've taken photos and videos on-board all sorts of trains (sitting, standing, peering into the cab, etc.) and inside stations (concourse, platform, etc.) and I've never run into any issues. As long as you don't do stupid or inconsiderate things, no one will bother you. Places like shrines, temples, etc. tend to have restrictions on taking pictures of certain buildings or objects, but there's no similar "taboo" on the rail system.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:43 AM   #5113
quashlo

Go to 6:00...
Nice to see a slightly less serious side behind all the professionalism.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:03 AM   #5114
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Ideally, I'd like to take some cabview footage as well as other viewpoints, but I do wonder how that would go over...
Don't take close up pictures of train staff where faces are visible. Don't take pictures of drivers being examined. In Japan, people are very sensitive regarding privacy. Of course, if a staff member gives permission to take a pic, it's OK- just don't bother them when they are performing their professional duties.

Also, taking pictures inside retail stores is frowned upon. Otherwise, no problems. I find railfan photography the easiest and hassle free in Japan among all advanced countries.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:37 AM   #5115
quashlo

Densō to test signal priority system for buses in Taicang
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/economy/new...6430025-n1.htm

Quote:
 自動車部品最大手のデンソーは22日、無線通信を使った交通制御システムの実験を、中国江蘇省太倉市の公道で始めると発表した。23~27日まで、上海の同済大学と共同で行う。

中国では車両台数が飛躍的に増加したことで、慢性的な交通渋滞が発生。公共バスの導入拡大が進められている。

今回、信号機とつながる無線通信技術を使って、バスがバス停から発車する際の最適なタイミングを通知。信号待ちをせずに、交差点を通過できるようにする。状況に応じて、交差点の信号を公共バスが優先的に通行できるよう切り替えるという。二酸化炭素(CO2)削減や燃費改善にもつなげる。

昨年3月には、無線通信機を使って救急車や消防車などの緊急車両を優先して走らせる実験を行った。
Official press release:
http://www.denso.co.jp/ja/news/newsr...130322-01.html

This is a joitn effort with Shanghai’s Tongji University, and involves use of wireless communications technology to streamline bus operations and reduce bus delay and carbon dioxide emissions at signalized intersections in Taicang City, Jiangsu Province.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:39 AM   #5116
quashlo

Japan agrees to fund Hanoi Metro Line 1 train yard
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A320C1FF1000/

Quote:
 日本政府とベトナム政府は22日、総額約2029億円の円借款を供与する契約に署名した。同国の首都ハノイ市の都市鉄道用車両基地や下水道の整備、南部のガス火力発電所の建設など12案件が対象となる。

国際協力機構(JICA)を通じ、ハノイ市都市鉄道1号線の第1期工事となる車両基地建設に約166億円を供与するほか、エンサ下水処理場の整備に約284億円を供与する。同国で不足する港湾や道路、橋梁など各種インフラ整備も支援する。(ハノイ支局)
This will be a ¥16.6 billion yen loan for construction of the train yard for Hanoi Metro Line 1, provided through JICA.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:43 AM   #5117
quashlo

Hopes and disappointment for improved late-night service on Ōsaka Municipal Subway
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A320C1AC1000/

Quote:
 大阪市は23日、堺筋線を除く市営地下鉄8路線で終電時間を最大30分延長するダイヤ改正を行う。2015年度の実施を目指す地下鉄民営化を見据えたもので、歓送迎会シーズンを迎えた通勤客らは「もう一杯飲める」と歓迎、飲食店側もサービスに工夫を凝らす。ただ終電延長区間は限定的で、郊外の利用客からは「ニーズと合っていない」と不満も漏れている。

■商機、知恵絞る夜の街

「最後にもう一杯飲める」。谷町線で通勤する阿倍野区の男性会社員(41)はダイヤ改正を歓迎する。同線は上下線とも終電を13分延長。梅田などでの職場の送別会では私鉄やJRを利用する同僚より先に退席することも多かったといい、「周囲にも気を使わせていたので、ありがたい」と上機嫌だ。

飲食店側も商機ととらえる。四つ橋線西梅田駅の改札近くで居酒屋「大関」を営む藤原章宏さん(49)は「午前0時の閉店間際まで楽しんでもらえるよう、ラストオーダーの一杯をサービスすることも検討したい」。

約420の飲食店が加盟する北新地社交料飲協会の東司丘(としおか)興一理事長は「従業員の帰宅に余裕ができ、接客時間も長くできる。北新地活性化の起爆剤になれば」と期待する。

■回送列車を活用し実現

大阪市によると、地下鉄の終電延長は1991年以来22年ぶり。過去にも「私鉄やJRより終電時間が早い」と改善を求める指摘はあったが、保守点検時間の確保などが壁になり、進まなかった。

ところが、橋下徹市長が交通局長に任命した元京福電鉄副社長の藤本昌信氏が、民営化への第一歩として終電延長に強い意欲を見せ、議論が再燃。これまでは車庫に戻るだけだった回送列車に客を乗せて最寄り駅まで運ぶ方法で延長が実現した。延長に伴う人件費などのコスト増は、職員の勤務シフトを効率化することで解消する。

阪急電鉄と相互乗り入れする堺筋線は、来年度に予定される阪急のダイヤ改正に合わせて終電を延長する見込み。

■新大阪止まり

ただ、回送電車のやりくりだけでは、利用者のニーズに十分に応えきれないのが実情だ。

全路線で最も利用者が多い御堂筋線は、梅田駅発の上り線が25分延長されるが、新大阪駅止まり。市内への通勤客が多く利用する江坂駅や御堂筋線と接続する北大阪急行の千里中央駅までは届かない。江坂駅を利用する大阪府吹田市の女性会社員(33)は「新大阪までならJRの方がより遅くまで終電がある。何とか区間を延ばしてほしい」と注文をつける。

周知も課題だ。駅構内や車両内にポスターを掲げているが、現時点では具体的な改正内容を知るには交通局のホームページを見るか、各駅などに問い合わせるしかない。同局の担当者は「まだ改善の余地は多い。ニーズを見極め、柔軟に対応していきたい」と話している。
As mentioned previously, the Ōsaka Municipal Subway will push back the last trains on all of its 9 lines (except the Sakai-suji Line) by as much as 30 minutes, bringing them more in line with the schedules of JR West and the Kansai-area private railways. This is the first time the schedules for the last trains on the Ōsaka Municipal Subway have been extended since 1991.

This is being billed as one of the first steps towards privatization of the subway, and will be carried out by taking advantage of deadheading trains and optimizing crew shifts to minimize the operating cost increase. The retail industry is interested in the changes, as they see a potential increase in revenues from customers who stay a bit longer at restaurants and bars.

Some passengers are still not completely satisfied with the improvements, though… Since a lot of it is just having deadheading trains actually carrying passengers, passengers with destination stations well away from the subway’s train yards won’t necessarily benefit. As for the Sakai-suji Line, it will be extended in conjunction with the Hankyū schedule changes planned to take effect next fiscal year.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:44 AM   #5118
quashlo

ekimo Tennōji construction update

This is the first of several new ekinaka facilities at major terminals on the Ōsaka Municipal Subway being developed by Nankai Shōji and Tōkyū Land. ekimo Tennōji will open on 2013.04.18, followed by similar facilities at Nanba Station in autumn 2013 and at Umeda Station in spring 2014. The Tennōji facility is small (only 9 stores, 614 sq m of retail floor area), with estimated annual sales of ¥1.8 billion.

Some pictures (2013.03):
Source: http://saitoshika.blog119.fc2.com/

The entrance to the West Zone of the facility, where the red “gate” columns have already been installed.

The roof and ceiling are a fairly simple design of multi-colored laminate panels, but it actually looks pretty good.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:46 AM   #5119
quashlo

Elevation of Yodo Station complete

Some pictures:
Source: http://saitoshika.blog119.fc2.com/

The elevated outbound tracks for Ōsaka (Tracks 3 and 4) were opened on 2009.09.12, followed by the first of the elevated inbound tracks for Kyōto (Track 2) on 2011.05.28. The last piece of the project, Track 1, opened on 2013.01.26.

Newly opened Track 1. There’s actually a small section of “quadruple track” here to accommodate tracks leading to the nearby train yard.

Perhaps because Track 1 is the siding, the departure board for Platform 1 only has two rows. Track 2 is the main track, and has a three-row departure board.

Kyōto end of Tracks 1 and 2

A local for Demachiyanagi in Kyōto arrives, a 2200 series train.

The opening of the second inbound track allowed them to carry out schedule changes on 2013.03.16 to take full advantage of the expanded station.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:47 AM   #5120
quashlo

Keihan Uji Line to convert to one-man operations in June
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/03/22/048/

Quote:
京阪電気鉄道はこのほど、運営体制の効率化の一環として、宇治線(7.6km)を6月1日よりワンマン化すると発表した。同社としては京津線、石山坂本線、交野線に続いて4路線目のワンマン化路線となる。

写真は京阪電気鉄道が実施する事故復旧訓練の様子

同路線ではワンマン化に向け、約4億円を投じて安全対策を実施。各駅ホームにミラーやモニターを新設したほか、ホーム異常通報装置の設置、足下灯照明のLED点滅化などの整備を実施。電車においても運転士異常時列車停止装置と列車防護無線の連動化、ホーム検知装置といった安全対策を行い、事故の防止と安全運行に備える。ワンマン運転に対応した新型車両13000系5編成(20両)は導入済みで、2012年春より順次営業運転を開始している。

京阪電気鉄道はその他、新型ATS(自動列車停止装置)の導入や、災害・事故などに備えた訓練の実施を含む「安全・安心」を確保する取組みについても概要を発表している。新型ATSは、地上から伝えられる信号などの情報と車両に記憶された路線の情報にもとづき、自車の制動性能と走行距離から上限速度を算出する「多情報連続制御式」。踏切やホームでの異常発生時にも対応する機能を持つ。2014年度に深草~出町柳間で使用開始し、2016年には京阪線全線への導入を完了する。

訓練については、それぞれ重大な事態を想定した災害対応訓練と事故復旧訓練を年1回ずつ実施。地震や火災などの発生を想定し、駅と駅に隣接するグループ商業施設などが合同で災害対応を訓練する「複合利用鉄道施設防災訓練」も、年数回程度実施するとしており、2013年度は8カ所で訓練計画を策定中だという。
As part of ongoing efforts to streamline operations, Keihan Electric Railway will convert the 7.6 km Uji Line to one-man operations starting June 1. This will become their fourth line with one-man operations after the Keishin Line, Ishiyama–Sakamoto Line, and Katano Line.

They’ve invested about ¥400 million in safety measures as part of the one-man conversion, including installation of mirrors and security camera monitors at station platforms, new systems to alert drivers of problems on platforms, and LED flashing lights. They’ve also completed introduction of five 13000 series trains (20 cars total), which first entered service in spring 2013.

13000 series:

Cab view on a 13000 series on the Uji Line, from Uji to Rokujizō (2012.08.09):

In other Keihan news, the last 3000 series retired from regular revenue service on 2013.03.10. Simple, but eye-catching livery, and one of my favorite older designs.