daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #5141
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Keikyū now has a YouTube channel. Most of it is just promotional and tourism stuff, but they do have some valuable footage from 1977 that is definitely worth saving to the HD.

At Keikyū Kamata and on the Airport Line.
Interesting they prefixed the station name with Keihin (京浜) instead of Keikyū (京急) like now.

230 series trains on the Daishi Line (1977):

n20 liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #5142
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Up until 2005, Keikyū was just a colloquial way to shorten the official name, Keihin Kyūkō Tetsudō 京浜急行鉄道

Of course this screwed things up for years when trying to get directions because not only is there a JR Keihin-Tōhoku line, but it runs parallel to and shares most of it's station locations with a Keikyu station.

I can only imagine how bad it was before they combined the Tohoku line into the Keihin line back in the 80s.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #5143
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Nationwide IC farecard interoperability has also begun…

...These systems all use the PiTaPa system, so you can generally only use either a PiTaPa card or JR West’s ICOCA card. Now you can use Suica or any of the other seven cards.

...I imagine the interoperability will be especially handy for all the visitors in Kyōto, especially given how Balkanized the rail network is Kyōto:
Don't leave out the very important and well used e-money aspect of this. Every single eki-naka retailer and almost all convenience stores, vending machines, and supermarkets take one of these IC cards depending on the region.
For example, now instead of having to find an ATM and get cash out to get a coffee or a bowl or ramen at a station in Shizuoka which only took JR Tokai's TOICA card, I can use my PASMO that I usually use in Yokohama. Or better yet, use the Mobile SUICA app in my mobile phone. This is especially good because it draws the money directly from my bank account automatically.
Old March 24th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #5144
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Question
What's the maximum amount that can be stored on any IC card (in Japan)?

P.S.
On a lighter note though:

Hehe

Two questions:

1) Hehe will the ticket gate accept that big-sized IC card?
2) Can the 'penguin' fit into that ticket gate?

Blackraven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #5145
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
As far as I know, the IC cards for the JR companies were already interoperable. I used my SUICA card on JR West previously.
Yes, but there are other railways in Tokyo that I would be using so to have complete interoperability so I can use my ICOCA card on Tokyu, the Tokyo Metro/TOEI Subway system etc. will be very handy indeed.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #5146
jonallen1966

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Thanks-I guess that the next phase of construction is cut-and-cover?

Are the local tracks in place between Higashi and Shimo? How far along are the B2 local platforms at Shimo?
The latest diagram on http://www.shimochika-navi.com/No27/01_feat/index.html seems to indicate the local tracks on the stretch between Higashi and Shimo have been partially completed. They moved both tracks to one side and there is some space either side of the tracks to enable the construction to proceed. Between Shimo and Setagaya Daita the terrain and surrounding buildings was such that they have made less progress there.

I visited Higashi Kitazawa today and this photo

may make the situation of the temporary platforms clearer. Correction to my previous comment, the local and express tracks are at exactly the same level through the station and you can see the future local tracks already 'installed'

the rest of the photos from the Friday Night / Saturday morning are here

https://picasaweb.google.com/1117069...zawaMarch2013#

pudgym29 liked this post
jonallen1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #5147
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonallen1966 View Post
The latest diagram on http://www.shimochika-navi.com/No27/01_feat/index.html seems to indicate the local tracks on the stretch between Higashi and Shimo have been partially completed. They moved both tracks to one side and there is some space either side of the tracks to enable the construction to proceed. Between Shimo and Setagaya Daita the terrain and surrounding buildings was such that they have made less progress there.

I visited Higashi Kitazawa today and this photo

may make the situation of the temporary platforms clearer. Correction to my previous comment, the local and express tracks are at exactly the same level through the station and you can see the future local tracks already 'installed'

the rest of the photos from the Friday Night / Saturday morning are here

https://picasaweb.google.com/1117069...zawaMarch2013#
How are folks standing on the platform supposed to access the tracks on the right (which I understand are the current local and future express tracks)?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #5148
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
How are folks standing on the platform supposed to access the tracks on the right (which I understand are the current local and future express tracks)?
Agreed.

Is the temporary platform offset closer to the tunnel portal?

It certainly looks that way.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #5149
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Question
What's the maximum amount that can be stored on any IC card (in Japan)?
Standard upper limit for most cards is ¥20,000 , although at least Rapica (Kagoshima area) goes up to ¥60,000:
http://www.kotsu-city-kagoshima.jp/t...ummary/rapica/

Quote:
1) Hehe will the ticket gate accept that big-sized IC card?
I don't see why you couldn't make a special Suica card like that, although there's no real reason to... You can just as easily tape a real card to the back.
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #5150
quashlo

More Suica penguin videos...

Celebrating Suica's 10th anniversary at Takasaki Station:

Cheering on JR East's baseball team:

They actually have a card case for it (him?) that I sort of want, too...

Old March 24th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #5151
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Standard upper limit for most cards is ¥20,000 , although at least Rapica (Kagoshima area) goes up to ¥60,000:
http://www.kotsu-city-kagoshima.jp/t...ummary/rapica/
Wow that is a lot (i.e. for those who wanna go fully-loaded)

Quote:
I don't see why you couldn't make a special Suica card like that, although there's no real reason to... You can just as easily tape a real card to the back.
Hehe makes sense.

Still the second question remains unanswered: Was the penguin able to pass through or did 'it' have a hard time squeezing in thru that ticket gate?
Blackraven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #5152
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Just order the "Suica Pengu" goods right here...

http://www.eki-net.biz/suica-goods/g183922/

Oh and that first video is from Ōsaki station.

Last edited by starrwulfe; March 24th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #5153
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Wow that is a lot (i.e. for those who wanna go fully-loaded)
When you consider the average person usually has a 6 month commuter pass worth ¥60,000 on average on there, the stored fare {SF} is negligible. (My pass is ¥23,000/month but my job pays for it--also normal here. I also load up the SF to around ¥12,000 per month so I don't have to think about pulling money out the ATM for lunch, sudden trips off my route, or the occasional after-work "conbini beer" that I like to indulge in )

Quote:

Still the second question remains unanswered: Was the penguin able to pass through or did 'it' have a hard time squeezing in thru that ticket gate?
Mr Pengu could've used the wider faregates that handicapped or folks with luggage or strollers used....
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #5154
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Project schedule for grade-separation of Yotsugi – Aoto section of Keisei Oshiage Line extended 10 years
http://response.jp/article/2013/03/23/194255.html
It looks like they would have enough space after this project and the other section currently under construction to quad-track the Oshiage line. Is any such project planned? I don't think it is, and somehow that bothers me.

The existing Asakusa Line plus the Asakusa Bypass project add up to four tracks between Sengakuji and Oshiage. Yet, between Oshiage and Aoto there will be a two-track bottleneck. Argh, that really bothers me somehow. Won't that significantly limit the number of trains that can operate on the new bypass? I would think Keisei would want to run as many trains as possible through Tokyo Station.

The OCD in me really wishes they would have picked the route that was an extension of the Keisei Main Line south of Keisie Ueno instead of the extension from Oshiage for the new express train between Narita and Haneda, then Keisei would have been a nice, neat, effectively four track line all the way. Argh.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #5155
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Agreed.

Is the temporary platform offset closer to the tunnel portal?

It certainly looks that way.
It may be slightly offset, but more importantly, there's actually additional platform area to the right... Temporary sections have been built above the future local tracks to allow passengers to access the train, similar to how they had the Fukutoshin Line's Shibuya Station for several years before the Tōyoko Line was undergrounded, with the center tracks covered up.

This should make it clearer:

Last edited by quashlo; March 25th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #5156
robhood

Likes (Received): 3412

nice updates
robhood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #5157
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
It looks like they would have enough space after this project and the other section currently under construction to quad-track the Oshiage line. Is any such project planned? I don't think it is, and somehow that bothers me.

The existing Asakusa Line plus the Asakusa Bypass project add up to four tracks between Sengakuji and Oshiage. Yet, between Oshiage and Aoto there will be a two-track bottleneck. Argh, that really bothers me somehow. Won't that significantly limit the number of trains that can operate on the new bypass? I would think Keisei would want to run as many trains as possible through Tokyo Station.

The OCD in me really wishes they would have picked the route that was an extension of the Keisei Main Line south of Keisie Ueno instead of the extension from Oshiage for the new express train between Narita and Haneda, then Keisei would have been a nice, neat, effectively four track line all the way. Argh.
Playing Devil's Advocate, perhaps they don't really see much need for additional service. Keisei has the lowest ridership out of all of the major private railways in Tōkyō, and on some levels, the Keisei Main Line is the "main line" in name only, as the Oshiage Line carries more trains.

Compare inbound schedules at Aoto:
Keisei Main Line for Ueno
Keisei Oshiage Line for Asakusa Line, Keikyū

This will only be strengthened with the Asakusa Line bypass. Based only on ridership demand, what might be ideal for the Keisei Main Line is short local runs similar to what the Tōbu Isesaki Line does between Asakusa and Kita-Senju, or perhaps even what Nankai does with the Kōya Line branch to Shiomibashi... Problem with this realistically is that neither Aoto (bi-level design) nor Takasago (at-grade, with crossings) are ideal for turnbacks.
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #5158
quashlo

MLIT approves Senseki Line, Tōhoku Line link

Official press release:
http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/t...hh_000051.html

This is part of the reconstruction efforts in Ishinomaki City and other local cities and towns along the Senseki Line, involving construction of a new track connection between the Senseki Line and Tōhoku Main Line north of Sendai, allowing for interlining of Senseki Line trains onto the Tōhoku Main Line south of Takagimachi. They will construct a 0.3 km connection between Matsushima Station (Tōhoku Line) and Takagimachi Station (Senseki Line), reducing travel times between Sendai and Ishinomaki to around 60 minutes (reduction of as much as 10 minutes compared to pre-earthquake travel times). The connection will carry about 3,000 passengers a day. Total project cost is approx. ¥1.8 billion and construction will take place from FY2013 to FY2015. Opening will be sometime in FY2015, around the same time that the Rikuzen Ono – Takagimachi section of the Senseki Line reopens.
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #5159
quashlo

Hitachi Electric Railway BRT begins service
http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/ib...502000164.html

Quote:
 日立市が旧日立電鉄線の線路跡地をバス専用道として整備してきた新交通システム「ひたちBRT(バス高速輸送システム)」が二十五日から、一部区間で運行を始める。バス専用道が設けられるのは、県内では石岡市に続いて二例目。市では国道6号などで慢性的に発生する渋滞の解消に期待を寄せ、有事の際の避難路としての活用も視野に入れている。

旧日立電鉄線は二〇〇五年三月末、老朽化で設備の更新に多額の資金を要するため廃線になった。路線距離は一八・一キロ。そのうち市は一三・一キロの土地を無償で譲り受け、旧久慈浜駅-旧鮎川駅間の八・五キロをバス専用道にし、残る四・六キロを一般道路の拡幅などに用いる計画を進めてきた。

二十五日から開業するのは久慈浜-JR大甕(おおみか)駅前までの二・八キロ。このうち一・三キロがバス専用道になる。

専用道の幅はバス一台分の四メートル。バスは互いに幅員が広い停留所ですれ違う。専用道には幅三・五メートルの歩道もある。市によると、歩道を併設した専用道は全国初という。

運行は平日が午前五時五十分~午後十時四十五分に三十六往復。土日祝日は午前六時三十五分~午後八時五十分に二十四往復。運賃は百八十~二百円。

BRTは「Bus Rapid Transit」の頭文字。全区間の工事は二〇年ごろに終える予定。

きょうから一部区間で運行が始まる「ひたちBRT」のバス専用道=日立市で
Video of opening day (2013.03.25):

n20 liked this post
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #5160
quashlo

Platform doors to enter service at Shintomichō, Tsukishima, Shin-Kiba

Official Tōkyō Metro press release:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2013/p...321_hs1012.pdf

Work on platform door installations on the Yūrakuchō Line is fast nearing completion, with the installations at Shintomichō, Tsukishima, and Shin-Kiba scheduled to begin operation on 2013.06.29. The final three remaining stations (Toyosu, Tatsumi, and Senkawa) will also see platform doors begin operation sometime in FY2013, which will mark completion of platform door installation on the Yūrakuchō Line. With the start of platform door operation at the Shintomichō, Tsukishima, and Shin-Kiba, 81 of Tōkyō Metro’s 179 total stations will have platform doors (45%).