daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #5281
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

All well and good but SSC does say that English should be used in international sections - country forums are language specific. You are more than welcome to complain to an admin about this and if they say it is okay to post in Japanese fair enough.

Other users have not been allowed to post news sources in their native tongue without a translation (Brisavoine for example) so I am only going by the currently enforced rules. No matter how much I like the subject matter, I cannot play favourites, and am certainly even less inclined to after the rudeness shown by Quashlo towards a polite request.

Note, I am not asking for full translations, a brief sentence or two will suffice, and he has mostly done this very well. Also, may I point out I did praise the amount of work he has done, which made his acerbic response even more confusing.

Last edited by Svartmetall; April 4th, 2013 at 08:03 AM.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #5282
mkill

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Why not just go back and translate things later when you have the time?

It's only a few articles.
Sorry to jump in here, but I spent the years studying Japanese to the point that I can do these translations, but IT TAKES TIME. Really, this is not German-English or similar where you rewrite a bit. Each post Quashlo does takes him 30 mins to an hour easily (maybe a bit less because he does it a lot and is familiar with the vocabulary). Still, this is hours of unpaid work. Professional translation services would easily charge USD 100 or more for each. I know that because I do hire Japanese translators for this stuff at work.

And forget about machine translations for Japanese. Feel free to cut & paste into Google Translate etc., but posting that here is a waste of space.

For the "all English" people - how does that benefit those who can read the Japanese?

@Quashlo: Please don't take this <censored> to heart. You are doing one hell of a job. Unlike the quoted poster I know exactly what effort you put in here.
mkill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #5283
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

For the last time, I am not saying he should translate whole articles, that's ridiculous and it would be a completely unreasonable request on my part. I am asking for a brief summary of a few sentences like other members do when posting in a language other than English on the international section rather than complete articles posted without anything more than a title.

I also don't buy the "it's harder than German or blahblah". If Chinese and Korean members can offer translations then there is no difference for a Japanese member to do so since both languages are far removed from latin script. I have on the Railways forum and on this forum whenever I have seen completely foreign language articles with no summation made the same request of members. So far the only people who have riled against this so heavily are the people in this thread.

You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited by Svartmetall; April 4th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #5284
DoctorWunderlich

Likes (Received): 0

I like the mixture of Japanese & English, I admit spending many hours translating japanese text from manuals for example that came with stuff I bought in Tokyo. It's fun to do if you are into languages :-)
DoctorWunderlich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #5285
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quashlo already translates every article. He never posts an article without at least translating the headline. That is enough for those who don't read Japanese to understand what the article is about. There you have it.

I fully support what he does, in fact, am in awe of it and would hate to do anything to discourage it.

Northridge liked this post
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #5286
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Oh do whatever the hell you like. Can't be bothered with the bickering and the fall out from members. Try to enforce rules and everyone knows better.

Someone else can deal with it.
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #5287
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Thanks for the support, guys.

Just want to reiterate, we are only talking about a handful of articles I post (maybe 1:100 when you add it all up) that I don't have time to transcribe when they come in. I have no intention of switching entirely to an "English title, Japanese-only article" format... It's boring and isn't useful for many people. It's just that, on occasion, I can't be bothered with the transcription because my activities in the real world require me to be doing other things at the same time.

Anyways, my only regret is that the post by pudgym29 was lost in all of this. Please post more... Would love to see more people contributing to the thread.

DoctorWunderlich liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #5288
quashlo

Hiroshima City reiterates desire for Hiroden realighnment
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201304040047.html

Quote:
 広島市の松井一実市長は3日、広島電鉄(中区)が構想する路面電車の新路線「駅前大橋線」について「必ず事業化させる」と強い意欲をみせた。JR広島駅(南区)南口の再開発が終わる2015年度までに計画は動きだすとの見通しを明らかにし、広島駅への乗り入れ方式は高架案が有力とする考えをあらためて示した。就任2年を前に、中国新聞のインタビューに答えた。

松井市長は、広島駅南口B、Cブロック再開発の完成を目指す2015年度までに「具体的な動きを出したい」と述べた。「再開発の建物ができても、交通面が整わないと陸の玄関としての機能は完結しない」と説明した。

市は13年度、南口広場のレイアウト改善に向けた再整備基本方針をまとめる。これに連動し、駅前大橋線の乗り入れ方式も決める。有識者の検討委員会が橋上駅になる広島駅と乗り継ぎしやすい「高架」か、他の交通機関への影響が少ない「地下」の2案から選ぶ。

JR西日本広島支社(東区)と広電は、いずれも高架案を支持している。松井市長は「地下より動線が優れている高架でまとまるだろう」との見方を示した。市は今後、検討委の判断を受け、現行ルートとの比較や地元との協議を経て、乗り入れ方式を決定する。

There hasn’t been much news on this project since the management shakeup at Hiroden, but it looks like Hiroshima City is still pushing forward, which is good. They’ve now stated that they are hoping to get the project started sometime before the FY2015 completion of the South Exit redevelopments (Blocks B and C) at the station. Looks like they are still moving forward with the elevated alignment into the station.

Specifically, in FY2013 the city will finalize a basic plan for redesigning the layout of the South Plaza station, which will also determine the basic alignment (at-grade, elevated, or underground) for the Hiroden realignment.

Clips of the new 1000 series low-floor LRVs in revenue service (2013.02).
Didn’t realize this, but 1001 is called “Piccolo” while 1002 is called “Piccola”.

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #5289
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Thanks for the support, guys.

Just want to reiterate, we are only talking about a handful of articles I post (maybe 1:100 when you add it all up) that I don't have time to transcribe when they come in. I have no intention of switching entirely to an "English title, Japanese-only article" format... It's boring and isn't useful for many people. It's just that, on occasion, I can't be bothered with the transcription because my activities in the real world require me to be doing other things at the same time.

Anyways, my only regret is that the post by pudgym29 was lost in all of this. Please post more... Would love to see more people contributing to the thread.
All that I ask is that you go back and post some sort of summary WHEN YOU HAVE THE TIME. It doesn't matter if it takes a couple of weeks, just so long as the information is there.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #5290
quashlo

MLIT approves connection between Toyama Light Rail and Toyama Chihō Railroad trams
http://webun.jp/news/A300/knpnews/20130404/78116

Quote:
 JR富山駅の高架下で市内電車と富山ライトレールをつなぐ「南北接続事業」の南側整備について、国土交通省は4日、富山市と富山地方鉄道が申請した実施計画を認定した。

計画では、市が軌道を整備、保有、維持管理し、富山地鉄が運行する「上下分離方式」で事業を実施。市は駅南側の軌道を約160メートル延伸し、新幹線駅の高架下まで引き込む。

建設費は車両購入費を含めて19億1200万円。工期は2013年10月~15年3月、開業は15年3月を予定している。年間輸送人員は15年度が25万9千人、18年度に29万6千人を見込んでいる。
The MLIT approved the application by Toyama City and Toyama Chihō Railroad for a new 160 m extension of the Toyama Chihō Railroad tracks directly into the station to a new location underneath the Hokuriku Shinkansen viaduct. Total project cost is estimated at ¥1.912 million, including the cost of rolling stock acquisition. Construction will take place from 2013.10 to 2015.03, with opening in 2015.03. Forecasted annual ridership is 259,000 for FY2015 and 296,000 for FY2018.
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #5291
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

A few articles I would have appreciated more than the hed, such as "Tōkyō Governor Inose discuss subway consolidation with NYC mayor" (especially since NYC subway was consolidated around the time the NY mayor was born). But overall I think quashlo does a good job and this is undoubtedly the best-managed thread in the subway sub-forum.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #5292
quashlo

Is the Seibu Chichibu Line really unprofitable?
http://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/13557

Quote:
西武ホールディングスと、筆頭株主であるサーベラス・グループとの泥仕合が深まっている。株式公開を目指す過程で、双方の思惑が食い違い、サーベラスが3分の1以上の株式取得を目指しTOB(株式公開買い付け)を実施、それに対し西武が反対の意見表明を行うなど、混乱は続いている。

関係がこじれた背景のひとつには、企業価値の向上を掲げ、より高い株価を実現させたいサーベラス側が西武にとって受け入れがたい経営改善策を提案したことが挙げられる。西武側が公表した具体的な内容として、サーベラスはプロ野球球団・西武ライオンズの売却や、いくつかの不要路線の廃止などを提案してきたといわれる。

多摩川線、国分寺線などの廃線も提案

廃線候補も具体的に多摩川線、山口線、国分寺線、多摩湖線、西武秩父線とまで明記されているという。サーベラス側は廃線の提案をしたわけではないとしているが、埼玉県知事や国分寺市や小平市など沿線自治体が、沿線住民生活のために欠かすことのできない公共交通機関として、該当路線の存続を要望、波紋が広がっている。

しかし、そもそもサーベラスに名指しされた路線は本当に不採算なのか。いくつかの数字を基に検証したい。

まず、最も話題になっている西武秩父線は、正確には吾野(埼玉県飯能市)と西武秩父駅(埼玉県秩父市)を結ぶ全長19.0キロメートルの路線を指す。開通は1969年10月で、事実上の池袋線の延伸部分という位置づけだ。1時間に3本前後の列車が走り、日中は1時間に各駅停車が2本、特急列車が1本の運行ダイヤとなっている。

多摩川線は、JRの中央線と接続する武蔵境駅(東京都武蔵野市)と多摩川沿いにある是政駅(東京都府中市)を結ぶ全長8.0キロメートルの路線。開通は1922年。かつては多摩川の砂利を採取するために開業した路線で、沿線には多磨霊園や多摩川競艇場などがある。

山口線は、西武遊園地駅(東京都東村山市)と西武球場前駅(埼玉県所沢市)を結ぶ2.8キロメートルの路線。1950年に多摩湖ホテルとユネスコ村を結ぶおとぎ線が前身。85年に新交通システムの路線に衣替えし、レオライナーの愛称で知られている。

国分寺線は、国分寺駅(東京都国分寺市)から小川駅を経由し、東村山駅(東京都東村山市)を結ぶ7.8キロメートルの路線。1984年に開通した川越鉄道が前身だ。多摩湖線は、同じく国分寺駅から荻山駅を経由し、西武遊園地駅へと至る9.2キロメートルの路線である(開通は1928年)。

平均通過数量を調べると…

これらの路線別の収支は、公表されていない。収入は旅客人数に応じて試算できるが、費用は会社単位で計上されており、路線ごとに算出できるのは、1社1路線の鉄道会社など限られた路線のみだ。費用を路線の営業キロや、旅客人員などに応じて割り当てて試算する方法もあるが、実態と乖離している可能性も否定できない。

一方、その路線にどれだけの乗降客数があるかは測ることができる。その指標が平均通過数量だ。路線1キロメートル当たり、1日にどれだけの人数を運んでいるかを示す指標で、輸送密度とも呼ばれる。乗客が延べ何キロ乗車したかを示す旅客人キロ(利用客数×平均乗車キロで算出)を営業キロで割ることで算出することができる。

なかなかイメージが涌きにくいが、たとえばJR山手線で106万0497人/日キロ。西武鉄道全体は13万3379人/日キロとなっている。地方のローカル線だと、たとえば静岡県を走る大井川鉄道で717人/日キロ、千葉県の房総半島を走るいすみ鉄道が516人/日キロとなっている(数字はすべて2010年度)。

その「関東中小私鉄の輸送密度と損益」をまとめた(右図参照)。西武秩父線は池袋線と合わせて通過数量が公表されている。西武秩父線の区間だけの通過数量の数字はないが、駅間ごとの通過人員のデータがあるため、東洋経済オンラインはこれを基に試算した。。西武秩父線は8258人/日キロだ。数字が公表されている多摩湖線は2万1425人/日キロ、多摩川線1万9158人/日キロ、山口線1836人/日キロとなっている。なお、国分寺線は乗降客数の振り分けが試算しにくいため割愛した。

この通過数量と同等の規模感を持つ関東の中小私鉄の損益と比べることで、採算ラインを読み取ることができるだろう。表には関東の中小私鉄会社の鉄道事業の損益を明記した(あくまでも鉄道事業のみの数字。鉄道会社はバス事業や不動産事業も行っており、企業全体の業績とは異なる)。

2億円近い黒字を出す伊豆急行と同レベル

これを見るかぎりでは通過数量が1万人/日キロを超える鉄道会社はおおむね採算が取れていることがわかる。2万人/日キロを超える、多摩川線や多摩湖線が不採算路線だとは考えにくい。西武秩父線についても、通過数量が近い箱根登山鉄道や伊豆急行が2億円前後の黒字を計上しており、赤字を垂れ流している路線を想像することは難しいだろう。なお、西武グループの鉄道会社である、伊豆箱根鉄道は1.2万人/日キロで採算ベースに乗せている。

山口線は通過数量こそ低いが、西武ゆうえんちやユネスコ村、西武球場を結ぶレジャー路線の色彩が強い。類似の数字としてケーブルカーの数字を参考までに載せた。

西武秩父線の終点・西武秩父駅は東京から100キロメートル離れた地方駅だ。当然、乗降客数は都心の駅よりも少ない。だが、地方にある大手私鉄の終着駅の乗降客数と比較して決して少ないわけではない。その「終着駅の乗降客比較」をまとめた(左図参照)。西武秩父駅の1日平均の乗降客数は6919人。京王線の高尾山口駅の同1万0268人には及ばないが、東武伊勢崎線の終着駅である伊勢崎駅の乗降客数よりは多い。

西武秩父駅の乗降客数は東武日光駅よりも多い

乗降客数の内訳にも注目したい。西武秩父駅の場合、定期が2936人、定期外が3983人という内訳となっている。普通乗車券で乗車する定期外の乗客が多いということは、観光やイベントで訪れる乗客が多いと推察できる。西武秩父駅の場合、定期外が6割近くを占める。通勤・通学路線というより、観光などで訪れる乗客が多いと思われる。さらに人数自体も有数の観光地と知られる東武日光駅よりも多い。秩父鉄道との乗換駅ということもあるが、ほかの地方駅と比べて劣る数字ではない。

乗降客数の内訳にも注目したい。西武秩父駅の場合、定期が2936人、定期外が3983人という内訳となっている。普通乗車券で乗車する定期外の乗客が多いということは、観光やイベントで訪れる乗客が多いと推察できる。西武秩父駅の場合、定期外が6割近くを占める。通勤・通学路線というより、観光などで訪れる乗客が多いと思われる。さらに人数自体も有数の観光地と知られる東武日光駅よりも多い。秩父鉄道との乗換駅ということもあるが、ほかの地方駅と比べて劣る数字ではない。

実は今、西武鉄道は秩父の観光客誘致に力を入れている。「相互直通運転を機に秩父や川越といった地域をPRしていきたい」(西武鉄道・若林 久社長)と語るように、3月16日に東急東横線渋谷駅の地下化で実現した東急東横線との直通運転化で、横浜方面から西武線沿線への集客が期待できるからだ。

そもそも秩父は、温泉こそないが、長瀞のライン下りや、羊山公園の芝桜、秩父夜祭など観光資源は豊富。最近では秩父を舞台にした『あの日見た花の名前を僕達は知らない。』(通称「あの花」)のヒットで、「聖地巡礼」と称して同地を訪れるアニメファンが増えている。

市内でも「あの花」のフラッグがあちこちの柱に飾られ、「あの花」関連のみやげ物もたくさん販売されている。3月1日からは、西武鉄道として初めてテレビCMを放映。女優の吉高由里子さんをイメージキャラクターに起用し、西武秩父駅の仲見世通りや長瀞の岩畳などの名所を巡り、秩父の魅力を伝える内容となっている。

そうした矢先に起こったTOB騒動と廃線論議。違った形で、西武秩父線が話題となってしまった。この騒ぎは秩父の観光需要によい影響を与えないかもしれない。
An interesting article that I thought raised a very good point—namely, that Seibu Chichibu actually has higher ridership than Tōbu Nikkō (even Tōbu Nikkō + JR Nikkō). Seibu has already taken a step in the right direction by hiring a household name, Yoshitaka Yuriko (吉高由里子), to begin promoting the tourism resources of the Chichibu area. It will obviously take some time for Chichibu to establish a reputation (it’s definitely less well-known than Tōbu’s Nikkō or Odakyū’s Hakone), but if they play their cards right, this could pay-off for them in the long run.

Currently, Tōbu has through-servicing limited expresses that go directly into Ikebukuro and Shinjuku (instead of the more isolated Asakusa), while Odakyū does the same, operating Romancecar sets through the Yamnaote ring and onto the Tōkyō Metro Chiyoda Line as far as Kita-Senju. A similar move here could prove a success if marketed and operated properly. Most of the Seibu limited express sets look pretty aged, so perhaps when it comes time for replacement, they can get some modern, high-amenity sets like the Romancecar trains and operate them through all the way from Yokohama up to Chichibu. All made possible the Tōyoko Line – Fukutoshin Line connection.

Metro Hakone service entering Kita-Senju. This could just as easily be Yokohama, with a brand-spanking new LEX set from Seibu.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #5293
quashlo

Accessibility upgrades complete at JR Yamate Station
http://www.townnews.co.jp/0113/2013/04/04/182531.html

Quote:
 バリアフリー化を目的に改修が行われてきたJR山手駅(南正男駅長=人物風土記で紹介=)の新駅舎がこのほど完成し、3月24日から使用されている。上下線に各1台のエレベーター、上り線にはエスカレーター2基が設置された。車椅子などでも利用できる多目的トイレ1室も設けられている。これらの設備スペース確保のため、駅舎の位置が大船方面に50m移動した。

JR東日本の管内でバリアフリー化が逐次進められており、山手駅の改修もその一環。以前の駅舎には階段しかなく、高齢者や車椅子利用者、子ども連れの保護者らにとって利便性の向上は悲願だった。

エレベーターやエスカレーターを設置するにあたり、旧駅舎ではスペースが確保できないため、大船方面に50mほど移した。ホームの長さや位置に変更はない。市道路局企画課によると、旧駅舎のスペースは、駅前広場整備の一部として、2015年度中に駐輪場にする計画だ。

新駅舎開業の24日には、午前10時から記念イベントとして、制服を着用し写真撮影できる「子ども駅長」や小学生以下を対象とした新幹線のペーパークラフトづくりが行われ、JR東日本のゆるキャラ「ハマの電チャン」もお披露目された。

新たに開設された改札口=3月28日撮影
Barrier-free improvements at JR Yamate Station on the Negishi Line in Yokohama City are now complete. While the main goal of the project was to add elevators and escalators to the station, the new vertical circulation required relocating the station building about 40 m to the south.
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5294
quashlo

Fukutoshin Line through-service brings big changes for universities
http://news.kanaloco.jp/localnews/article/1304040018/

Quote:
 東急東横線と東京メトロ副都心線の相互直通運転が始まり、首都圏の大学で通学経路が大きく変わるケースが相次いでいる。通学圏が拡大した一方で、ライバル校同士が一本で結ばれることも。新年度を迎えた沿線の大学関係者は、学生たちの動きに注目している。

東横線の白楽が最寄り駅の神奈川大学は、ぐっと身近になった埼玉県の高校生らに熱い視線を送る。

「埼玉県の高校生の県外の進学先として一番人気は東京。神奈川は千葉、茨城よりも順位が下だった。これからは横浜まで引っ張ってきたい」(広報課)と意欲を示す。

埼玉県の大学は、逆に神奈川県の高校生らを取り込みたい考えだ。新座市の十文字学園女子大学は「横浜から通学するとこれまで2時間以上かかっていたが、相互直通で1時間半に短縮された。十分に通学圏内になる」(募集入試センター)と強調する。

東急グループの東京都市大学は、東急電鉄の電車内に広告を掲げており、結果的に東武、西武線沿線にもアピールする形になった。通学圏の拡大は「少子高齢化が進む中でめったにないチャンス」(大学関係者)だけに、各大学は知名度を高める動きを加速させている。

一方、長年のライバル校が乗り換えなしでつながるケースも。慶応義塾大学の日吉キャンパスがある東横線の日吉と、早稲田大学の早稲田キャンパスから近い副都心線の西早稲田は30分余りで往来できるようになった。

これについて慶応義塾広報室と早稲田大学広報室はともに「意識はしていない」と控えめなコメントを出したが、それぞれの大学OBは「早慶(慶早)戦で相手校に乗り込む機会が多くなる」「渋谷で両校の学生が遭遇する機会が増えるのでは」と盛り上がる。

池袋にある立教大学と渋谷の青山学院大学など、もともと併願関係にある大学は、横浜と埼玉の高校生をめぐってさらに激しく競合しそうだ。一方で「大学の枠を超えたサークル活動は活発になるのでは」と大学関係者はみる。

こうした学生の動きを見越して東急電鉄は、東急区間が含まれる通学6カ月定期券の購入キャンペーンを始めた。14日までに購入すると抽選で商品が当たる。広報担当者は「部活やショッピング、夏休み期間中なども便利な東急線を利用してほしい」と期待している。

学生らでにぎわう日吉駅=横浜市港北区
Sort of a follow-up to that other article, but the through-services between the Tōyoko Line and Fukutoshin Line are changing the universities traditional “catchment zones” for students, and changing the fundamental relationships between universities.

In particular, universities in Kanagawa, including Kanagawa University near Hakuraku Station, are now focusing on trying to attract high-school students in Saitama. In the past, Kanagawa was the lowest receiver of Saitama high-school students, below Chiba and Ibaraki. Likewise, universities in Saitama are doing the same for Kanagawa-area high-school students. Jūmonji University in Niiza City is optimistic about the changes, as commutes from Yokohama to the university used to take over 2 hours, but can now be completed in 1.5 hours. Tōkyū Corporation itself is also joining the fray, plastering ads for Tōkyō City University, part of the Tōkyū Group, inside their trains. With Tōkyū trains now running onto the Tōbu and Seibu lines, they can easily reap the rewards of advertising to Saitama residents.

Meanwhile, fundamental relationships between universities are now also changing… Long-time rivals in the private university world, Keiō University’s Hiyoshi Campus and Waseda University’s Waseda Campus, are now within a 30-minute ride of each other. Ikebukuro’s Rikkyō University and Shibuya’s Aoyama Gakuin University, typically appealing to similar student demographics, are being placed in direct competition for students from Yokohama and Saitama.

To take advantage of all these rapid changes, Tōkyū began a special campaign to lure students to purchase 6-month student commuter passes with the railway.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #5295
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
A few articles I would have appreciated more than the hed, such as "Tōkyō Governor Inose discuss subway consolidation with NYC mayor" (especially since NYC subway was consolidated around the time the NY mayor was born). But overall I think quashlo does a good job and this is undoubtedly the best-managed thread in the subway sub-forum.
I agree he does a fantastic job and nowhere will I take that away from him. This was a polite request regarding a few posts that got turned into something it shouldn't have where it became members against the big bad moderator (me).

Either way, I won't interfere again as evidently I hold no sway and I don't wish to earn respect or enforce rules through dealing out infractions.

Don't stop your excellent updates though everyone.
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #5296
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I agree he does a fantastic job and nowhere will I take that away from him. This was a polite request regarding a few posts that got turned into something it shouldn't have where it became members against the big bad moderator (me).

Either way, I won't interfere again as evidently I hold no sway and I don't wish to earn respect or enforce rules through dealing out infractions.

Don't stop your excellent updates though everyone.
Thank you. Well, Japanese is indeed a tough language to translate, especially if one wants to look at the actual context of the news items posted here. It's a good reminder, though, to tell us that in an international forum like this, articles posted in a different language should be translated into English because it is a guideline. I have nothing against quashlo, but should I have gone a bit too far, I sincerely apologize.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Yellow Fever liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #5297
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Jeez, l leave the forum alone for a few days and this happens. Sheesh! &lsaquo;(`^´)&rsaquo;
Since I live here and can speak and read Japanese, feel free to ask me for whatever help you need in translating. Quashlo posts NOVELS sometime, as do I. I've even rephotoshopped infographics here with English translations&hellip; this stuff takes time and totally understand what's up when Quashlo &lsquo;rapid posts&rsquo; without translating. Thanks to his hard work though, we have interesting articles all the time to read; even if we have to use Google Translate cut n paste skills or my &ldquo;I remember that kanji but not the one next to it&rdquo; skills. LOL
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #5298
DoctorWunderlich

Likes (Received): 0

Seibu Chichibu Line future

Good news because the Seibu Chichibu line & Chichibu Main Line are on my wish list for my next Kanto Area visit (hopefully next year).

Last edited by DoctorWunderlich; April 5th, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
DoctorWunderlich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5299
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Jeez, l leave the forum alone for a few days and this happens. Sheesh! &lsaquo;(`^´)&rsaquo;
Since I live here and can speak and read Japanese, feel free to ask me for whatever help you need in translating. Quashlo posts NOVELS sometime, as do I. I've even rephotoshopped infographics here with English translations&hellip; this stuff takes time and totally understand what's up when Quashlo &lsquo;rapid posts&rsquo; without translating. Thanks to his hard work though, we have interesting articles all the time to read; even if we have to use Google Translate cut n paste skills or my &ldquo;I remember that kanji but not the one next to it&rdquo; skills. LOL
Thank you! I hope you can help translate some of the more intriguing and interesting articles posted here, especially on things that relate to train services and its impacts to stations and nearby attractions... Even bus lines too.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #5300
quashlo

Ex-Nikkō tram nearing last days in Okayama
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/ne...htm?from=ylist

Quote:
 栃木県日光市で活躍後、岡山電気軌道(岡山市北区)が岡山市内で走らせてきた路面電車が、現役を終え、日光市へ戻ることが決まった。

7日、「さよなら運転」が行われる。

電車は1953年製で、69年から同社が運行。数年前に通常運行から退き、昨年、同社の開業100周年を記念した企画で、日光市の観光施設への無償譲渡が決まった。

電車は、同じように日光市から岡山市へやってきた同型の2両と共に同社が所有する車両の中で一番古く、車両の床は板張り。構造上、クーラーなどの設備をつけることもできなかったが、趣深い雰囲気にファンも多いという。

また、外装がチェック柄に塗装されるなど、「おしゃれ電車」としても親しまれた。現在は、日光市で運転されていた当時と同じ黄緑色とオレンジ色に塗装し直され、故郷に戻る準備を整えた。

23日に岡山市を出発。今後は、観光施設で一般展示される予定という。

7日は午前10時30分頃から、東山線と清輝橋線で、それぞれ2往復を貸し切りで「さよなら運転」した後、午後1時30分頃から岡山市中区の同社東山車庫で、他の同型2両との撮影会が予定されている。同社は「岡山で走る最後の雄姿。ぜひ、カメラを持って出掛けてほしい」としていた。

黄緑色とオレンジ色にお色直しを終え、里帰りを待つ車両(岡山市中区で)
This is Car 3005, the oldest car in the Okayama Electric Tramway fleet, manufactured in 1953 and originally operated by Tōbu Railway in Nikkō City in the northern reaches of the Greater Tōkyō Area before being shipped out to Okayama in 1969. It’s time is up, though, and its last run in Okayama will be on 2013.04.07. There were 10 cars in the 3000 series, all of them ex-Tōbu cars. Six have already been retired and scrapped (3001-3004, 3006, and 3008), one (3009) has been returned to Tochigi Prefecture for preservation, and another (3010) will be returned to Nikkō City for static display and reuse for tourism purposes. Car 3007 was refurbished in 1970, so its in decent shape. Car 3005, however, didn’t receive similar treatment, and will be retired as the last of the set in its “original state”.

Some pics.
Source: http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/

Quote:
美しい姿で"今なお現役"の3005号。1953(昭和28)年宇都宮車輌製だから、今年でちょうど還暦を迎えることになる。'13.1.20

蹴込部のヒーター(左)。室内灯はグローブ型(右)。'13.1.20

「改装 岡電東山工場 昭和44年」の銘板(右)。検査票には「昭和44年製造」と記されている(左)。'13.1.20

ワンマン化されたとはいえオリジナルの雰囲気を色濃く留める運転台。'13.1.20

運転台背面上部のカノピースイッチ類と信鈴。'13.1.20

バネを使わない錘による押上げ式のパンタグラフ。押上げ圧は5㎏、錘の正体は何と車軸の廃物利用だという。'13.1.20

その床下を見る。台車は住金KS40J。詳しくは姉妹ブログ「台車近影」参照(→こちら)。'13.1.20

おへそライトに2枚窓、そして布幕の方向幕と、いかにも昭和の路面電車らしい面構え。'13.1.20

現在の桃太郎大通りの岡山駅前電停で折り返す3005。今から29年前の姿で、降車電停にはまだ上屋もない。'84.8.25

最後に東武時代の姿を...。これは105号で、岡山に来てからは3002号を名乗ったが、1991(平成3)年に廃車されている。'67.6.25 P:三谷烈弌
Car 3005 in “revival” colors, sporting the livery of Tōbu’s long-gone Nikkō trams:

“KURO” Car 3007 in service:

Okaden footage from 1978:

k.k.jetcar, fieldsofdreams liked this post