daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5321
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

BRT導入で基本協定 新潟市と新潟交通
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...9490004-n1.htm

Niigata City and private bus operator Niigata Kōtsū have signed an MOU for the first phase of the BRT project, meaning that Niigata Kōtsū is now the official operator of the proposed service. They will sign an operating agreement later this year that will detail the number of scheduled buses, the fares, the restructuring of the bus network (including suburban routes), and the division of duties between the city and the bus company.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #5322
quashlo

小田急電鉄、電車基地で太陽光発電
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...3A400C1L83000/

Official Odakyū press release:
http://www.odakyu.jp/program/info/da...2_3144538_.pdf

Odakyū Electric Railway will enter the solar power generation business with a new 590.2 kW, 2,588-panel installation, located on about 9,200 sq m of land near its Kitami yard. Groundbreaking will be in 2013.09, completion in 2014.02, and start of operation in 2014.03. The facility will generate enough electricity to power 160 households for a year.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #5323
Abbendymion
Get Ready

Likes (Received): 1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonallen1966 View Post
Hi,

I recently read that this monorail line was "dressed" months ago with some anime movie posters and ads, and even the "crew" cosplayed as some of the series' characters. How common is that in Japan?
Maybe some other trademarks can also have the right of "exclusivity" to dress completely a train, (like a fast food restaurant or a cat-food brand), is that possible? I also read that this particular line had been in financial trouble, maybe that explains why, I think.

Clarion
abbendymion.tumblr.com
Current Log: CP1### (Ans 11.2)

HP
abbhyperion.tumblr.com

Proudly, a GrNe production
Abbendymion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5324
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
I recently read that this monorail line was "dressed" months ago with some anime movie posters and ads, and even the "crew" cosplayed as some of the series' characters. How common is that in Japan?
Maybe some other trademarks can also have the right of "exclusivity" to dress completely a train, (like a fast food restaurant or a cat-food brand), is that possible? I also read that this particular line had been in financial trouble, maybe that explains why, I think.
It appears the event was for the adapted-from-light novel anime "Toaru majitsu no indekkisu". The dressed up characters were the voice actors in an "honorary crew member role"- the actual train crew did not dress up as they were performing their professional duties. This line often does "wrapping" promotions where advertising is pasted on the car bodies. This is common on other railways as well, whether they are in financial trouble or not.

http://response.jp/article/img/2013/...45/523225.html
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #5325
quashlo

DC Metro to exercise option with Kawasaki for additional cars
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...3a8_story.html

Quote:

Made for Metro by the Italian manufacturer then known as Breda Costruzioni Ferroviarie, the 4000-series cars were delivered in the early 1990s and would ordinarily have been due for an overhaul. But the transit agency says it will forgo that work, which would cost about $1.5 million a car, and instead buy new cars under a contract it has with Kawaski to build its new 7000-series rail car.

Activity at Kawasaki’s Hyōgo plant (2013.04).
Most of the cars currently under construction are for Taiwan.

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #5326
quashlo

錦帯橋空港へのバス運賃半額
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201304100013.html

Bōchō Kōtsū (HQ: Shūnan City, Yamaguchi) will temporarily lower fares on its bus service connecting Iwakuni Airport with Tabuse Town, Yamaguchi Prefecture. This is a small, regional airport, but bus ridership is struggling, so they will implement a trial fare discount in an attempt to lure airport passengers who currently take JR to Iwakuni Staton and switch there to buses or taxis. Currently, the one-way fare on this particular bus service is anywhere from ¥1,200 to ¥1,500, but they will halve it. Since 2012.12.13, they’ve been running two roundtrips on the service, but ridership is averaging between one and two passengers a bus… They need at least 8 to break even. They already converted the route connecting the airport with JR Tokuyama Station from a bus to a jumbo taxi in March.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #5327
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

^
Index and Railgun (one of the famous shows made by animation studio JC Staff).

Anyways:

Yui and Mio from K-on

[IMG]http://t3.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKYe7RSNWgblO9Z9YfIshEQmjR5sRto0Q4ywoTJEb0I5B20RZd[/IMG]

Another train

The Hatsune Miku (Snow Miku) train - a relatively common thing in Hokkaido.

And of course, trains with Pokemon livery and design =)

Equario, pudgym29 liked this post
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #5328
quashlo

New station tenant building to open at JR Nada Station

Official JR West press release:
http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl...page_3633.html

Render:

This is a four-story, 1,450 sq m GFA tenant building on 490 sq m at the South Exit of JR Nada Station on the JR Kōbe Line in Nada Ward, Kōbe City. Tenants will be neighborhood-focused, including a drugstore on the first floor and a clinic on the second through fourth floors. It will be directly connected to the South Exit station building. This marks the completion of JR West’s improvements at JR Nada Station, which began in 2006. A platform bridge and elevated station concourse were completed in September 2009, followed by the west side of the elevated building structures in October 2010 and the east side in November 2011.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #5329
quashlo

Design for new station building at Higashi-Kishiwada unveiled

Official JR West press release:
http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl...page_3643.html

Render:

This is part of the grade-separation of 1.0 km of the Hanwa Line surrounding the station, between Shimomatsuchō and Habuchō in Kishiwada City. Land surveys and parcel acquisition began in FY2003, and they finished the switchout to temporary track in October 2012.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #5330
quashlo

横浜市営ブルーライン、朝の地下鉄列車増発 回送を活用
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...3A400C1L82000/

Yokohama Municipal Subway will increase morning rush hour service on the Blue Line by making better use of deadheading trains. They will add two trains from Kami-Nagaya to Shōnandai during the 6:00 and 7:00 hours and three trains from Azamino to Nippa during the 8:00 and 9:00 hours. One train from Odoriba to Azamino during the 7:00 hour will be extended to start at Shōnandai instead.
Old April 10th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #5331
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
錦帯橋空港へのバス運賃半額
http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201304100013.html

Bōchō Kōtsū (HQ: Shūnan City, Yamaguchi) will temporarily lower fares on its bus service connecting Iwakuni Airport with Tabuse Town, Yamaguchi Prefecture. This is a small, regional airport, but bus ridership is struggling, so they will implement a trial fare discount in an attempt to lure airport passengers who currently take JR to Iwakuni Staton and switch there to buses or taxis. Currently, the one-way fare on this particular bus service is anywhere from ¥1,200 to ¥1,500, but they will halve it. Since 2012.12.13, they’ve been running two roundtrips on the service, but ridership is averaging between one and two passengers a bus… They need at least 8 to break even. They already converted the route connecting the airport with JR Tokuyama Station from a bus to a jumbo taxi in March.
I like the idea, but I have a hard time see it work. People who looking for cheap transport, is already theirs customer, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
And of course, trains with Pokemon livery and design =)

Nice. When was this taken?
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #5332
quashlo

Japanese firms eager to offer technical knowhow for new Mumbai Metro corridor
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ja...owhow/1100039/

For the Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ corridor.
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #5333
quashlo

福井鉄道:独製車両導入、足踏み 土佐電の暴力団問題で
http://mainichi.jp/area/fukui/news/2...20484000c.html

An interesting twist… The original proposal by Fukui Railway to purchase a secondhand ex-German (Stuttgart) tram from Tosa Electric Railway (Tosaden) in Kōchi Prefecture has hit a a bit of an obstacle after the president of Tosaden revealed possible ties to organized crime (i.e., yakuza). Fukui Prefecture was originally scheduled to provide Fukui Railway with ¥78 million in funding to retrofit, paint, and transport the tram, including about ¥2 million to purchase it from Tosaden.

It was originally going to take them half a year to do transport the vehicle and carry out the retrofit anyways, and the tram was supposed to enter service next year, so they are not expecting any delays in the schedule, at least not yet.
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5334
quashlo

千葉の小湊鉄道、茂原長南IC近くにバスターミナル
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...3A410C1L71000/

Kominato Railway, a small, local railway in Chiba Prefecture out of Goi Station on the JR Uchibō Line, will open a new bus terminal for highway express coaches near the Mobara–Chōnan IC in coordination with the scheduled opening of the Kisarazu East IC to Tōgane JCT segment of the Ken’ōdō on 2013.04.27. The new 1,000 sq m bus terminal was constructed at the cost of ¥13 million on land near National Route 409 leased from a private owner. The terminal will serve highway coaches to Tōkyō and Yokohama, and will include parking for 30 cars and a simple waiting room.

With the opening of the new terminal, the railway will also inaugurate a new highway coach route on 2013.04.28 connecting JR Mobara Station and Tōkyō Station in about 85 minutes via the Mobara–Chōnan IC and Ichihara–Tsurumai IC. Fares will be ¥1,500, targeting commuters. They will also more than double service on the existing route between JR Mobara and Haneda Airport / Yokohama, increasing to 7 roundtrips a day. It will be 70 minutes to Haneda and 100 minutes to Yokohama.
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #5335
quashlo

東京メトロと都営地下鉄の電波開通で地下鉄のネット接続1.7倍に
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/04/10/301/

A survey by Rakuten research of 500 smartphone users on the Tōkyō Metro and Toei Subway indicates that passengers are now connected to the Internet 1.7 times longer than before full mobile coverage in the subway was rolled out. Previously, it was about 13 minutes, but now is about 22 minutes.

In terms of how they use the connection, 49.0% said they view news sites, 45.0% said they use search engines to look up things, and 40.4% said they use it for email.
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #5336
quashlo

横浜市営地下鉄の一部区間で携帯が利用可能に - 2013年中に全線エリア化
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/04/10/279/

The Yokohama Municipal Subway is joining the bandwagon and will begin offering mobile coverage inside stations and tunnels for NTT DoCoMo, KDDI(au), and SoftBank Movile on portions of the Blue Line and Green Line starting 2013.04.11. Specifically, this covers the Azamino – Nippa section of the Blue Line and the Nakayama – Center Minami section of the Green Line. Full coverage to the entire subway network will come some time in 2013.
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #5337
quashlo

京急高架下スペースの活用進む、保育所やスーパーに/神奈川
http://news.kanaloco.jp/localnews/article/1304090035/

Keikyū is continuing efforts to take advantage of land it owns underneath its railway viaducts (about 30% of its network is elevated). The program started in 2008, when they opened four art studios underneath their tracks between Hinodechō and Koganechō to allow young artists to display and sell their art. The railway is also being proactive about supermarkets (Keikyū Store) underneath tracks, including locations at Keikyū Kawaasaki and Keikyū Tsurumi, as well as a hot springs resort near Gumyōji Station, and a funeral home near Keikyū Kurihama Station. Their latest efforts include nursery schools, including one facility near Koganechō.
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #5338
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8821

This is something that railways around the world should consider doing far more. The airspace under and over their properties should be used for retail and the revenue going back into the railways. It seems like such a missed opportunity for many.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #5339
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
^
Index and Railgun (one of the famous shows made by animation studio JC Staff).

Anyways:

Yui and Mio from K-on

[IMG]http://t3.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKYe7RSNWgblO9Z9YfIshEQmjR5sRto0Q4ywoTJEb0I5B20RZd[/IMG]
I'm familiar with K-On, but I don't recognize this system. Where were these pictures taken?

Quote:
Another train

Opposite problem here-I recognize the Toden Arakawa line, but I don't recognize the characters. Who are they and what series/game are they from?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #5340
quashlo

Some more recent clips of the new E233-7000 series for the Saikyō Line…

At Ōmiya, en route from Niitsu to Ōmiya yard (2013.04.09):

Testing for the first time on the Saikyō Line, captured at Yono Honmachi Station (2013.04.10):