daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #5361
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

淡路の地震直後、関西の鉄道ダイヤ混乱 高速は速度制限
http://www.asahi.com/national/update...304130029.html

A M6.3 quake struck Hyōgo Prefecture’s Awaji Island yesterday (2013.04.13) at 5:33 am. Damage was minor, but there was some disruption to train service.

According to JR West, a total of 1,400 zairaisen trains were either delayed or cancelled, affecting about 650,000 passengers during the morning and well into the evening. In particular, the JR Kōbe Line was fully reopened for service in about 5 hours (10:45), but not before 108 trains, including limited expresses such as the Hamakaze to the Tajima region, were cancelled. In terms of earthquake strength, JR West recorded peak ground acceleration that exceeded internal company thresholds (over 40 gals requires visual inspection of critical locations, over 80 gals requires walking inspection of the full line), including 135 gals at Suma Station, 60 gals at Kakogawa Station, and 50 gals at Nishi-Akashi Station.

Hankyū and Hanshin restored service at 6:30 am, but a total 1,547 trains were cancelled or delayed, affecting 380,000 passengers. Trains went into emergency stop after the early earthquake warning was announced, and train operators proceeded at low speeds, visually inspecting the tracks. Similar measures were in effect for the Ōsaka Municipal Subway and other affected private railways, but service was gradually restored.

San’yō Shinkansen service was temporarily cancelled between Shin-Kōbe and Okayama, but was restored at 6:26 am. The maximum delay experienced by an one train was 1h30m, and service completely returned to normal at 9:08 am. A total of 47 trains and 18,400 passengers were affected.

JR Ōsaka Station:

Saturday midday at Hankyū Umeda Station ended up looking a lot more like weekday morning rush hour:

At JR Ōsaka Station, everything was orange:

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #5362
quashlo

不発弾処理で新幹線 6月一時運休
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...883371000.html

Unexploded ordnance from the Imperial Japanese Army discovered at a construction site in Nishigahara, Kita Ward, Tōkyō in March has been scheduled for removal by the JDSF on 2013.06.04 between 11:00 and 14:00. JR Kami-Nakazato Station on the Keihin–Tōhoku Line lies within the 100 m radius quarantine zone surrounding the site, so the removal will substantially affect JR East service.

In particular, Shinkansen service between Tōkyō and Ōmiya will be affected, with a total of six trains on the Tōhoku, Akita, Yamagata, Jōetsu, and Nagano Shinkansens being cancelled and another 50 terminating or beginning at Ōmiya instead of Tōkyō. For zairaisen, the Keihin–Tōhoku Line will not operate between Higashi-Jūjō and Shinagawa, while the Shōnan–Shinjuku Line will not run between Ōmiya and Shinjuku. A total of 159 trains and 90,000 passengers are expected to be affected.

ANN news report (2013.04.03).
The NHK article also has a video report.

Old April 15th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #5363
quashlo

「SUGOCA」本県だけ導入されず
http://www.the-miyanichi.co.jp/conte...gid=5&catid=14

More a blog article than an actual news article, but Miyazaki is the only prefecture on Kyūshū not to have SUGOCA (technically, they don’t have automated faregates either). To be honest, I was surprised that JR Kyūshū even expanded SUGOCA outside of Greater Fukuoka into Nagasaki, Kumamoto, Kagoshima, and Ōita, and ridership in these cities is far higher than in Miyazaki. In any event, JR Kyūshū does seem a bit more proactive about expanding its IC card system than JR East or JR West. That being said, the “threshold” doesn’t’ appear to be so high as we might think… I crunched the numbers for the Nagasaki coverage area (19 stations), and it only comes out to about 62,000 daily entries and exits at each of the stations within the coverage area (so about 30,000 daily passengers, assuming two trips per passenger per day). Of course, Miyazaki is still far below this.

Obviously, we’ll never see automated faregates at every station in Japan, but I believe the next big step for IC cards is to expand into Shinkansen and limited expresses (Kamome, Sonic, etc.) and allow cross-area itineraries.

The ICOCA service areas for Keihanshin (Ōsaka–Kōbe–Kyōto) and Okayama–Hiroshima are actually quite close to each other… On the Akō Line, there’s only nine stations (31.8 km) in between Osafune (eastern extent of Okayama–Hiroshima coverage) and Banshū Akō (western extent of Keihanshin coverage). For the San’yō Main Line, there’s only four stations (39.4 km) between Wake and Aioi. While the stations in between each have only a few hundred riders a day, allowing cross-area itinerary would make it easier to do zairaisen trips like Himeji–Okayama. For Suica, there are only eight stations (40.1 km) between Kuroiso (northern extent of Greater Tōkyō coverage) and Yabuki (southern extent of Sendai coverage).

There are even more egregious examples at cross-company boundaries, with only three stations (22.1 km) between Maibara (eastern extent of ICOCA’s Keihanshin coverage) and Sekigahara (western extent of TOICA’s Nagoya coverage) and no stations (9.9 km) between Kannami (eastern extent of TOICA’s Shizuoka coverage) and Atami (western extent of Suica’s Greater Tōkyō coverage). A case can definitely be made for cross-area demand in these situations, so hopefully they will consider doing something about the issue.

Lines develop at the staffed ticket counter at Mishima Station as passengers mistakenly used IC farecards to enter the system inside the SUICA coverage area but attempt to exit from the TOICA coverage area (2013.03.25):

Old April 15th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #5364
quashlo

梁を移設 大正の京都駅再現
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/osaka/featu...OYT8T00132.htm

JR West will recreate the canopy over Platform 1 at the former (second-generation) Kyōto Station at its new railway museum to open in spring 2016 at Umekōji in central Kyōto City. The 45 m long beams from the original structure had been preserved at the Transport Science Museum (交通科学博物館) in Bentenchō, Ōsaka City, but were relocated to the museum site.

The second-generation station building was constructed in 1914 to mark the enthronement of Emperor Taishō at the Kyōto Imperial Residence. Made of hinoki (Japanese cypress), it was badly damaged by a fire in 1950, and the surviving steel beams of the platform canopy were moved to the Transport Science Museum and used there as part of a roof over the rolling stock display starting in 2002.

Some pics of the current setup at the Transport Science Museum:

Old April 15th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #5365
quashlo

Dbl post

Last edited by quashlo; April 15th, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #5366
quashlo

MLIT approves Sapporo tram upgrades

Official press release:
http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/t...hh_000039.html

Details of the project are here:
http://www.mlit.go.jp/common/000993952.pdf

The main elements of this ¥5.9 billion project involve the following:
  • Completion of the loop between Susukino and Nishi 4-chōme with a new 0.4 km segment of side reservation (opening spring 2015), including improvements to the two existing terminals and construction of a new stop at Tanuki-kōji. The line will be 8.9 km when complete.
  • introduction of new low-floor, 17 m long, accessibile LRVs (k.k.jetcar posted a clip of the first of these units a while ago).
  • Accessibility improvements to existing stops.
  • Conversion to low-vibration track on the existing line.

More A1200 series testing and operator training:

Old April 15th, 2013, 05:39 AM   #5367
quashlo

Renovation of JR Ryōgoku Station complete

ANN news report (2013.04.14):

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #5368
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

What an old school way of writing Kyoto in Hirgana in the pic

Old April 15th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #5369
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_t View Post
What an old school way of writing Kyoto in Hirgana in the pic

Yes, that's the old usage (kyuukanazukai), where Kyoto is rendered as [きゃうと] rather than the modern [きょうと].

*excellent that JR West is going to reconstruct the station canopy at the new museum at Umekoji. It will be interesting how they will integrate it with the modern architectural elements- perhaps the recent work at Osaka Station with the butterfly canopies will give us a hint?

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; April 15th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #5370
quashlo

循環バス本格運行 延岡に1時間2便
http://www.the-miyanichi.co.jp/conte...=52930&catid=2

Some minor bus news, but Nobeoka City in northern Miyazaki Prefecture launched a twice-hourly circulator bus service in coordination with private bus operator Miyazaki Kōtsū on 2013.04.15. The service operates in both directions on a 14.6 km route with 39 stops, including the Nobeoka Bus Center (i.e., JR Nobeoka Station on the Nippō Main Line), the city’s public library, a JA farmers market, and the Nobeoka Cultural Center.

Good to see the smaller cities doing small things like this... Really makes it easy to get around the center of the city, particularly for tourists.
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #5371
quashlo

鹿児島中央駅西口バス駐車場 26日から有料、予約制
http://www.373news.com/modules/picku...?storyid=47840

Sort of an interesting bit of news, but Kagoshima Prefecture will begin charging buses to use the bus parking spaces at the West Exit of JR Kagoshima Chūō Station and require bus operators to make reservations for the spaces. It will cost ¥300 for 30 minutes per space, with the evening period set to a maximum of up to ¥4,000 (the spaces are open 24 hours). Buses that come in to drop off passengers and leave within five minutes will not be charged a parking fee, but operators are required to file a request and reserve a space at least one week before they need it. The Prefectural Government will also open another bus parking facility (open 06:00 to 19:00 on weekends and holidays only) at a nearby site. They will also reduce the free time limit on general vehicular parking at the West Exit and passenger pick-up / drop-off spaces at the East Exit from 30 minutes to 20 minutes to improve turnover.

Action at the West Exit of Kagoshima Chūō Station, 100x speed tilt shift (2011.04).
This is the smaller of the two exits at the station (the East Exit is much larger). I believe the "bus parking" in question is the four zones shown here.

The much busier East Exit at 80x speed (2012.08):

Old April 15th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #5372
quashlo

横浜市と相模鉄道HD、いずみ野線沿線で次世代まちづくり推進で協定を締結
http://response.jp/article/2013/04/15/195996.html

Official Sōtetsu press release:
http://www.sotetsu.co.jp/news_release/130410_01.pdf

Sōtetsu Holdings and Yokohama City have signed an agreement to promote sustainable urban planning along the Sōtetsu Izumino Line.

Yokohama City is aiming to become a “Future City for the Environment”, and one of their efforts is geared towards sustainable residential development, particularly with an aging population in suburban neighborhoods. Meanwhile, Sōtetsu has been crafting plans to revitalize neighborhoods along the Izumino Line in light of the upcoming opening of the Kanagawa East Line (i.e., Sōtetsu–Tōkyū Link and Sōtetsu–JR Link), including redevelopment plans and efforts to attract more visitors and residents to the area. This latest agreement means the two will cooperate on improving urban design, assistance for elderly and families, community building, and environmental / energy measures for the Futamatagawa – Yumegaoka segment of the line.

Full-length cab view (Futamatagawa – Shōnandai) on a 10000 series (2013.04.05). Definitely a bit isolated if you don’t work in Yokohama, but it doesn’t seem like a bad place to live, and it should become more attractive in a few years when through-services begin running onto JR and Tōkyū. You can tell this is a comparatively newer line, as most of the infrastructure is relatively modern… The stations are fairly large and even the platform canopies are full-length.

Old April 15th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #5373
quashlo

京王線 愛され100年
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/otona/railw...OYT8T00149.htm

Keiō Corporation celebrated the 100th anniversary of the Keiō Line yesterday (2013.04.15).

Predecessor Keiō Electric Tramway (京王電気軌道) was established in the final years of the Meiji era in 1910, but the first 12.2 km segment of the line between Sasazuka and Chōfu only opened in 1913.04.15. The trains were wooden one-car trams, 8 m long with a capacity for 44 passengers. Buses were used on the sections that hadn’t yet opened (Shinjuku–Sasazuka and Chōfu–Fuchū–Kokubunji). A station at Shinjuku (Shinjuku Oiwake Station) opened in 1915.05 diagonally opposite the Isetan Department Store in Shinjuku 3-chōme. The route then followed Kōshū Kaidō west in street running. Air raids in 1945.05 damaged transformer substations on the line, and a lack of electricity meant that the trams could no longer cross over the JR tracks to reach Shinjuku Oiwake. As a result, a new station at Shinjuku was built at its current location at the West Exit of the JR station.

The line continued to change dramatically in the post-war era, with the Shinjuku–Hatsudai section being undergrounded in time for the 1964 Tōkyō Olympics, which called for a marathon course in the area surrounding Shinjuku Station. The underground station opened in 1963.04, with the original aboveground terminal being redeveloped with a Keiō Department Store. Urban development along the line brought new homes and new residents, and with the massive Tama New Town development encompassing Hachiōji and three other cities in western Tōkyō, the railway extended the Sagamihara Line out west from Chōfu starting in 1971. What is now called the Keiō New Line opened in 1978, and through-services with the Toei Subway’s Shinjuku Line began two years later in 1980, securing one-seat rides through the Yamanote Line ring into central Tōkyō.

Along Kōshū Kaidō near Shinjuku in 1953.
Looks completely different now.

As part of the 100th anniversary festivities, they also painted a few of their buses in historic liveries and put them on display at Hachiōji Division (2013.04.14). The initials “K.T.R.” stand for Keiō Teito Railway (京王帝都電鉄Keiō Imperial Capital Railway), the official name of the railway until 1998.

Ex-Keiō 5000 series commuter EMUs on the Ichibata Electric Railway in Matsue in semi-rural western Japan (2012.07.28). This particular set, one of four in the Ichibata fleet, was repainted in the original Keiō colors.

A bit closer to their original home, Fuji Kyūkō Railway also gave a similar treatment to one of its ex-Keiō 5000 series sets (2012.10.28):

pudgym29 liked this post
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #5374
quashlo

渋谷駅、人の流れ激変 直通1カ月で銀座線1割減
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...10C13A4L72000/

In more fallout from the Fukutoshin Line – Tōyoko Line through-services, Shibuya Station is experiencing some fairly dramatic ridership changes. According to Tōkyō Metro, entries and exits at the Ginza Line’s Shibuya Station have dropped by about 10 percent, and they suspect a lot of passengers are instead switching to the Hanzōmon Line into central Tōkyō, switching cross-platform to the Ginza Line at Omotesandō instead.

A separate article from Yomiuri Shimbun says that ridership growth on the Saitama side, including at Kawagoe Station on the Tōbu Tōjō Line, is not as robust as originally hoped. Average daily entries and exits at Tōbu Kawagoe Station for 2013.03.16 through 2013.03.31 only posted a 4% year-over-year increase. This is in comparison to Shinjuku, which, as mentioned previously, has seen strong growth, with early reports for daily entries and exits at Tōkyō Metro’s Shinjuku Sanchōme Station showing 40% gains on weekdays and 70% gains on weekends. Isetan’s sales during March increased 20% year-over-year as Tōyoko Line passengers are spending more time in Shinjuku.

Yokohama is also doing well, with entries and exits at Motomachi–Chūkagai Station on the Minato Mirai Line for 2013.03.16 to 2013.03.31 showing a 20.6% year-over-year increase to approx. 826,000 passengers. Seibu Railway reported that it had sold twice its original target of special discounted Yokohama area tickets.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #5375
quashlo

Pictures of the new Shibuya Hikarie trainset for the Tōyoko Line at Nagatsuta yard. I had thought it was just an exterior thing (i.e., paint job), but they did up the interior quite nicely as well.
Source: http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/

The theme for Cars 1, 3, 8, and 10 is offices and the transparent exterior of Shibuya Hikarie.
All of the seating was given a higher back to improve comfort, and the lower half of the vertical poles was given an embossed treatment to improve grip and temperature. The cars also feature LED lighting and Wi-Fi.

Theme for Cars 2, 4, 6, and 9 is playfulness (遊び心).

Theme for Cars 5 and 7 is the Tōkyū Theatre Orb and the restaurant floor of Shibuya Hikarie.
Easily my favorite... Wouldn't mind seeing all the cars like this.

Testing on the Den’en Toshi Line (2013.04.14):

Old April 16th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #5376
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

That Shibuya Hikarie train looks fantastic! I wish that train type can be operated here in the United States, especially with the number of doors per car... and I notice a lot of LCD screens on some of the cars (especially on that one picture with at least 8 screens): perhaps those large black screens are for advertising purposes. Maybe Bombardier could somehow copy those designs for North American trains, but I wonder how much would such improvements cost for existing trains?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #5377
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
A separate article from Yomiuri Shimbun says that ridership growth on the Saitama side, including at Kawagoe Station on the Tōbu Tōjō Line, is not as robust as originally hoped. Average daily entries and exits at Tōbu Kawagoe Station for 2013.03.16 through 2013.03.31 only posted a 4% year-over-year increase. This is in comparison to Shinjuku, which, as mentioned previously, has seen strong growth, with early reports for daily entries and exits at Tōkyō Metro’s Shinjuku Sanchōme Station showing 40% gains on weekdays and 70% gains on weekends. Isetan’s sales during March increased 20% year-over-year as Tōyoko Line passengers are spending more time in Shinjuku.
I can say I'm not surprised. Kawagoe, for all its charms, is never going to be a prime traffic generator like Yokohama/Chinatown- and frankly, Saitama is well, Saitama after all (i.e the New Jersey of Japan)... The prime benefit of this project goes to Shinjuku, with the crowds coming from Kanagawa area points.
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #5378
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
That Shibuya Hikarie train looks fantastic! I wish that train type can be operated here in the United States, especially with the number of doors per car... and I notice a lot of LCD screens on some of the cars (especially on that one picture with at least 8 screens): perhaps those large black screens are for advertising purposes. Maybe Bombardier could somehow copy those designs for North American trains, but I wonder how much would such improvements cost for existing trains?
Yes, I suppose the costs of such screens are covered by advertising revenues.

One thing about more doors is that it reduces space available for seating, and in North America there seems to be a maxim that all commuters need to sit, at least for systems outside the NE.
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #5379
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Yes, I suppose the costs of such screens are covered by advertising revenues.

One thing about more doors is that it reduces space available for seating, and in North America there seems to be a maxim that all commuters need to sit, at least for systems outside the NE.
Over here in the Bay Area, BART has been experiencing increasing ridership over the past few years (now averaging 404,000 riders a day) thanks to gas price hikes that, coupled with aging trains (the oldest in the United Sates), the agency has purchased replacement train cars from Bombardier (with three doors) that will allow faster boarding and disembarking, as well as to modernize its fleet and make trips more efficient than today.

Aesthetically, though, I find the Shibuya Hikarie train more pleasant looking and easy to get along with than BART for many reasons.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #5380
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

Since I'm guessing quite a few people reading this thread may be overall rail fans, I thought it might be appropriate to mention that the BBC did a series on the railways in Britain, called "The Railway: Keeping Britain on Track."

The following YouTube account has HD (well, 720) versions posted, along with some other good series on the history of railways and so on:
http://www.youtube.com/user/0ntr4ck/videos.

To bring this on-topic, it's simply amazing to watch this series and to contrast the technology (or lack thereof) and people to what you see in Japan.

Yes, I'm sure the series highlights some of the bad, but even so, the contrasts are so so striking.

Caution, there's some rough language and scenes.
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote