daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #5581
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

JR East to accelerate platform door installations on Yamanote Line
山手線23駅、ホームドア整備前倒し JR東日本
転落事故を防止

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...10C13A5TJC000/

JR East will invest approx. ¥4 billion in FY2013 to install platform doors at a total of 7 stations on the Yamanote Line, continuing the rollout of platform doors on the line that began in FY2010. With the accelerated implementation, platform doors will be completed at 23 stations on the Yamanote Line (i.e., all stations on the line except for six stations where doors will be installed in conjunction with major upgrades to station infrastructure and layout) by FY2015—two years earlier than originally envisioned.

In particular, platform doors entered service at Ōtsuka Station in April of 2013, and the railway will now install doors at seven stations this year, followed by another seven planned for FY2014.

Doors in service at Ōtsuka Station on the first day (2013.04.20):

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #5582
quashlo

Ekinaka facilities to debut at Jinbōchō, Hibiya Stations on Toei Subway
都営も「駅ナカ」 神保町・日比谷15年度末めど

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/na...902000101.html

Following Tōkyō Metro and many other railways, the Toei Subway will finally join the ekinaka (station retail) bandwagon by constructing new retail facilities at Jinbōchō and Hibiya Stations by FY2015 close. These will be the Toei Subway’s first real ekinaka facilities.

Jinbōchō Station is served by two Toei Subway lines and one Tōkyō Metro line, with the Toei station boasting the highest average daily entries and exits (250,000) of any of Toei’s 106 stations. Hibiya Station, meanwhile, is a major transfer station with 72,000 daily entries and exits. The Tōkyō Metropolitan Transportation Bureau is envisioning specialty retail tenants such as fashion houses, convenience stores, pharmacies, and cafes, with five to six shops in a single, concentrated location at each station along underground passages, operated under a single mall brand. The work will be done in conjunction with major upgrades such as barrier-free improvements, but the Transportation Bureau believes the numbers will still pencil out regardless. Design will begin this fiscal year, with groundbreaking in FY2014.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old June 6th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #5583
quashlo

Ginza Line 1000 series train wins 2013 Blue Ribbon Award

Official Tōkyō Metro press release:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2013/p...0528_b1033.pdf

This marks the first time that a “subway” train has been awarded the prize in the 55-year history of the Blue Ribbon Award, which is administered by the Japan Railfan Club (鉄道友の会). The steerable bogies that reduce vibration and noise on curves, energy-efficient permanent magnet synchronous motors (PSMSs), extensive use of LEDs for external and interior lighting, and a unique exterior that draws from the original 1000 series trains used during the Ginza Line’s opening helped earn the award. A total of 12 sets will be in service by the end of this FY, with all 38 sets on the line replaced with new 1000 series sets by FY2016.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old June 6th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #5584
hakubi

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Yeah, I will post a full report in the Japan Forum and crosspost any transit-related stuff here.
Will that be in Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum? SSC is enormous, I can't find anything
hakubi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #5585
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

It looks like the Tōbu 60000 train is a really light, airy and modern commuter train, something the US could dream about for some time. I'd like to see similar subway trains like that too in other countries so that commuter experiences can be improved significantly, and it will entice even more people to ride trains. Question, though: will that new trainset series be operating on any of Tokyo's subway lines in the process, or will it be interlined with other train lines in the long-run?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 05:15 AM   #5586
quashlo

No, there will be no interlining. In fact, the caption for the last photo from the original blog remarks that the dashboard is relatively "clean" because there's no need for additional signalling systems or other equipment for through-service, as the Noda Line is an isolated line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakubi View Post
Will that be in Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum? SSC is enormous, I can't find anything
Yes, that's the one. Same forum as the 2011 trip report in my sig.
Old June 6th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #5587
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Question, though: will that new trainset series be operating on any of Tokyo's subway lines in the process, or will it be interlined with other train lines in the long-run?
They are Hitachi's A-train design, and are basically an update of the Tobu 50000 series, the various versions of which you can see on interline trains on the Toyoko/Fukutoshin/Yurakucho/Den'en Toshi/Hanzomon Lines.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #5588
Whiten5arc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Some Youtube videos of testing…

Whiten5arc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #5589
k.k.jetcar

This?
Old June 6th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5590
quashlo

New observation deck and connecting skybridge at Himeji Station to open on 2013.06.15
姫路城眺望デッキ15日オープン

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/hyo...OYT8T00023.htm

Didn’t know this was so close to opening, but the new observation deck (13.7 m tall, 20.5 m wide, 24 m deep) at the north side of JR Himeji Station, offering views to Himeji Castle, will open on 2013.06.15, along with a connecting skybridge (114 m long, 5 m wide) from the station and observation deck to San’yō Himeji Station on the San’yō Electric Railway, located across the street, will open on 2013.06.15.

Specifically, the observation deck ties into 2F of the new “piole Himeji” station tenant building at the JR station that opened recently, while the connecting skybridge ties into the “Caspa” multi-use facility at San’yō Himeji Station.

Another picture from here:

The exterior illumination scheme on the JR station:

Svartmetall, geometarkv liked this post
Old June 6th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #5591
quashlo

Nishiyama–Tennōzan Station to open on 2013.12.21
大山崎-長岡天神間の阪急新駅 西山天王山駅は12月21日に開業 京都

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...2030004-n1.htm

Official Hankyū press release:
http://holdings.hankyu-hanshin.co.jp...01306051N2.pdf

This is the new ¥2 billion station under construction by Hankyū Corporation and Nagaoka-kyō City on the Hankyū Kyōto Line between Ōyamazaki and Nagaoka Tenjin in Tomooka, Nagaoka-kyō City. This will be a ground-level station, two (side) platforms and two tracks. Work has been ongoing since March 2011. The Nagaoka-kyō Interchange of the Kyōto Jūkan Expressway (京都縦貫自動車道) will be located in the vicinity of the station site, and the new station will be connected at the East Exit station plaza to a new terminal for highway express coaches. The station will actually be located underneath a viaduct on the Kyōto Jūkan Expressway, and will be provide barrier-free access, along with environmentally-friendly design measures such as LED lighting, escalator sleep mode, heat pump electric water heaters, and regenerative elevators. The station will also include a park-and-ride facility with a high-speed battery recharger for electric vehicales. Daily ridership is forecasted at 7,900 passengers.

As mentioned previously, they will also rename four stations on their network (Kōbe Sannomiya, Hattori Tenjin, Nakayama Kannnon, and Matsuo Taisha) to make the system easier to comprehend for tourists and institute station numbering (“HK” letter code) for the benefit of foreigners.

Renders and sketches from the press release:

Interior:

Elevator tower connecting to the highway express coach terminal:

East Exit station plaza:

Exterior:

West Exit station plaza:

Svartmetall, geometarkv liked this post
Old June 6th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #5592
quashlo

Hankyū converts stations and tunnels between Saiin and Kawaramachi to LED lighting
駅とトンネルLED化 阪急・西院―河原町 印刷用画面を開く

http://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/economy/ar...20130606000024

Hankyū has converted tunnel and station lighting on the underground segment of the Kyōto Line in central Kyōto City between Saiin and Kawaramachi to LED lighting and introduced automated lighting control systems that adapt based on time of day or the level of passenger crowding on station platforms. The ¥278 million effort was selected as a model project by the Ministry of the Environment for FY2011-12, and is expected to cut electricity consumption and carbon dioxide emissions by about 22% compared to 1990 levels.

Specifically, the project cover Shijō Kawaramachi Station, underground passages between Karasuma and Kawaramachi Stations, and the tunnel(s) between Saiin and Kawaramachi. Lighting units and signage / advertisement board sat 4,261 locations were converted to LED lighting. Hankyū already introduced LED lighting at 7 of its stations, including Katsura and Jūsō, but this is the first time they launched a lighting control system that adapts to platform crowding.

geometarkv liked this post
Old June 6th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #5593
quashlo

Sendai Airport Transit records all-time ridership high
復興需要 翼から追い風 仙台空港鉄道12年度 利用客最多

http://www.kahoku.co.jp/news/2013/06/20130606t12039.htm

Good news for Sendai Airport Transit (Sendai Airport Access Railway), which recorded a 64.7% year-over-year increase in ridershup for FY2012 to 2,622,104, the highest ridership for the line since it opened at the close of FY2006. Specifically, entries and exits at the three stations between Natori and Sendai Airport were as follows:

Sendai Airport: 1,352,390 (87.2% increase)
Mori Sekinoshita: 1,001,080 (44.7% increase)
Mitazono: 268,634 (51.5% increase)

The return of demand post-earthquake and tsunami, combined with growing airport numbers (2,699,082 passengers, a 46.2% increase), contributed to the ridership growth, together with residential development at Mori Sekinoshita and Mitazono as a result of new demand for homes further inland from the coast following the tsunami. Miyagi Prefecture expects the growth trend to continue, particularly with new LCC air routes serving Sendai Airport debuting in FY2013, including a KIX route operated by Peach Aviation and CTS and FUK routes operated by Skymark launching in April. An international service to HNL will also launch on July 26, while a prefectural social welfare and educational facility also opened near Mitazono Station in April.

Old June 6th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #5594
quashlo

Shinoro Station to be elevated
札幌・篠路駅を高架化 市とJR北海道、18年度にも着工

http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/news/economic/471766.html

Sapporo City and JR Hokkaidō have finalized plans to elevate the JR Sasshō Line (Gakuen Toshi Line) at Shinoro Station (Shinoro 4-7, Kita Ward, Sapporo City). The project will elevate about 1 km at and surrounding the station, breaking ground in FY2018 with an opening in FY2025. In conjunction with the project, the city is planning a land readjustment project for 5 ha on the east side of the station to create a plaza and other parcels. Total project cost is expected to be between ¥10 billion and ¥15 billion.

There has been strong local advocacy in the Shinoro district for elevating the station, as the ground-level tracks of the Sasshō Line currently separate the area in two.

Grade crossing near Shinoro Sation:

Old June 6th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #5595
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
This?
Japan prepares to...

Take the A Train.

By the way, how did Whiten5arc just post if he's banned?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #5596
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Didn’t know this was so close to opening, but the new observation deck (13.7 m tall, 20.5 m wide, 24 m deep) at the north side of JR Himeji Station, offering views to Himeji Castle, will open on 2013.06.15, along with a connecting skybridge (114 m long, 5 m wide) from the station and observation deck to San’yō Himeji Station on the San’yō Electric Railway, located across the street, will open on 2013.06.15.
I was at Himeji about two months ago, there was still considerable construction going on in the station forecourt area. I didn't notice the skybridge, but its opening will certainly be welcomed. Currently pedestrians must traverse a busy station front road and bus lane(s) to get to the Sanyo building as well as the shopping district fronting Himeji Castle. I reckon a similar effect to the skybridge opened in front of JR Hakata Station, which goes over the busy entrance to a bus terminal.
Old June 7th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5597
quashlo

Okinawa Prefecture announces results of rail feasibility study
県調査の鉄軌道ルート、3案提示

http://article.okinawatimes.co.jp/ar...13-06-07_50174

Okinawa Prefecture announced the results of the ¥46 million feasibility study for a new 69 km rail line running the length of the Okinawa Island from Nago to Naha Airport. The line would serve 13 “hub” stations, with an estimated construction cost of ¥560 billion. This represents the first time the Prefectural Government has indicated a specific alignment plan. The feasibility study also concluded that the line could generate operational profits if the public sector is responsible for the infrastructure and a private sector operator focused solely on operating the line.

From Naha Airport, it would be about 24 minutes to Okinawa City and 58 minutes to Nago City. Three potential routes are under consideration between Naha Airport and Futenma:

Route A via Naha (hubs at the Okinawa Prefectural Offices and the 那覇新都心 area (Omoromachi)) and Urasoe City
Route B via the western coast of the island
Route C (similar to Route A, with a slightly different alignment between Omoromachi and Futenma)

If the plans are realized, it would be about 10-15 years before construction start and about 10 years for construction, meaning the earliest the line could open would be around 2033.

The plan hinges on the return of Futenma Air Base to Japanese control, allowing for the creation of a north-south transportation grid and alleviate the current poor connectivity caused by the base. Surface light rail would be introduced at major rail stations, combining with buses to create a comprehensive transit network.

In order to avoid large-scale land acquisition through already urbanized districts, the plan also considers constructing viaducts above existing National Route roadways or tunneling underground. About 71% of the alignment would be in tunnels, with 16% on viaduct.

Technology choice would be small-profile linear motor cars with a top speed of 100 km/h, with a maximum train formation of 4 cars for future-proofing. Estimated daily ridership, including both general passengers and tourists, is estimated at 32,000 to 43,000. The line would result in an annual operating deficit of ¥870 million at the lower threshold and an annual operating surplus of ¥980 million at the higher threshold. Even if the private sector operator was also charged with purchasing and owning the rolling stock, the line would still generate annual operating profits as long as ridership was around 40,000 passengers daily.

The plan also considers prioritizing the segment between Naha and central Okinawa Island, which has a high population density.

Svartmetall liked this post
Old June 7th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #5598
quashlo

New trains coming to Hankyū Kōbe / Takarazuka Lines, Kyōto Line
http://holdings.hankyu-hanshin.co.jp...01306061N1.pdf

Hankyū has announced that it will introduce a new series of rolling stock across all three main lines of its network, dubbed the 1000 series for the Kōbe Line and Takarazuka Line and the 1300 series for the Kyōto Line. The new trains will enter revenue service as early as this fall, carrying a slew of improvements to reduce noise and improve energy efficiency (50% less electricity consumption compared to older existing trains and 20% less compared to the previous 9000 / 9300 series trains). The trains also feature strengthened ends to improve safety, larger partitions and new poles for standees, as well as larger wheelchair spaces and passenger information displays. The livery and interior color schemes (maroon and ivory paint scheme, wood laminate and golden olive seat fabric) will remain the same, however.

The trains will be manufactured by Hitachi.

What’s a bit confusing is that the render shown in the press release is for an all-longitudinal seating design like that already in use on the Kōbe Line and Takarazuka Line. The previous series for the Kyōto Line, the 9300 series, is mostly a transverse design, however, but given the render and the car capacity numbers provided (130 pax/car for the 1000 series and 133 pax/car for the 1300 series), it seems, at least on the surface, that the 1300 series could be an all-longitudinal design.

Another article seems to indicate that Tōshiba will be supplying the propulsion systems and other electrical equipment for the new series, including passenger information displays and permanent magnet synchronous motors (PMSMs).

Old June 7th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #5599
quashlo

Missed this while I was gone, but Saikyō Line E233 series also began testing on the Rinkai Line.

Videos on the first day of testing (2013.05.13):

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old June 10th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #5600
quashlo

Kumamoto City trams to introduce IC card in FY2014
熊本市電:来年度からICカード導入 SuicaやSUGOCA相互利用も

http://mainichi.jp/area/kumamoto/new...20442000c.html

With the replacement cycle for the reader units for the current magnetic prepaid card system (TO-Kuma Card) looming, the Kumamoto City tram network will introduce a new IC farecard system next fiscal year that will be compatible with JR cards (Suica and SUGOCA). A total of ¥158.36 million was earmarked for the project in the city’s FY2013 general budget. The system will require installing reader and charger (top-up) units on the 44 cars I nthe fleet, as well as development of information systems to calculate and manage fares. A third of the cost will be covered by funding from the national government. The city plans to have charger units at convenience stores and other locations, and the card will also come with e-money functionality.

Good news for Kumamoto… Kagoshima has had an IC card system for a while, although there hasn’t been any movement on making theirs interoperable with JR cards.