daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #5601
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

JR East to introduce IC farecard for Tōhoku BRT services
JR東日本、東北BRT専用のICカード「odeca」導入…8月3日から

http://response.jp/article/2013/05/16/198021.html

JR East’s Sendai and Morioka offices announced on 2013.05.15 that they will introduce an exclusive IC farecard system, odeca (オデカ), for the BRT services on the Kesennuma Line (Yanaizu – Kesennuma) and Ōfunado (Kesennuma – Morioka) starting 2013.08.03. The card will not come with e-money functionality.

It’s not clear from the articles whether or not the system will be interoperable with Suica (at least on the fare payment side).

Svartmetall liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #5602
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Missed this while I was gone, but Saikyō Line E233 series also began testing on the Rinkai Line.

Videos on the first day of testing (2013.05.13):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42k24P1GxSo">YouTube Link</a>
I watched the video, and I'm very pleased to see the Saikyo Line finally getting better trains after several years of operating the 205 series. And it's also wonderful to see it operate through a subway as well... if I recall correctly, the Rinkai Line is entirely underground, and it interlines with the Saikyo Line at Tamachi or Shinagawa. Hopefully, the Yokohama Line will also get the new 233 series trains soon, but that was quite a long wait for the Saikyo Line to get that needed improvement.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #5603
quashlo

The interlining is at Ōsaki. The Rinkai Line is mostly underground, but there are some small aboveground segments at either end.

I was actually surprised most by the Yokohama Line E233 news, since JR East historically hasn't prioritized rolling stock for the inner-suburban peripheral lines (Yokohama Line, Nambu Line, Musashino Line). It does give some (very small) hope that they might consider new stock for the latter two lines instead of phasing secondhand stock from the more important lines.
Old June 11th, 2013, 02:34 AM   #5604
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
I was actually surprised most by the Yokohama Line E233 news, since JR East historically hasn't prioritized rolling stock for the inner-suburban peripheral lines (Yokohama Line, Nambu Line, Musashino Line). It does give some (very small) hope that they might consider new stock for the latter two lines instead of phasing secondhand stock from the more important lines.
The 205's running on the Yokohama Line are getting a bit "long in the tooth," so that's why JR East has ordered 28 new eight-car E233 trainsets that will arrive over the next few years.

I believe the next big train replacement project will be replacing the JNR Class 113/115 Series EMU's on the San'yō Main Line west of Himeji Station over the next several years. JR West tested a two-car 223 Series EMU between Okayama and Shimonoseki earlier in 2013, and what may finally emerge is a big order for upgraded 225 Series EMU's with upgraded motors that can handle steeper grades such as he "Senohachi" grade from Seno east to Saijo Stations.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #5605
quashlo

Hitachi wins Ho Chi Minh City metro contract
日立、ベトナムで都市鉄道一式を受注 370億円で

http://www.sankeibiz.jp/business/new...1636000-n1.htm

On 2013.06.11, Hitachi announced that they had received multiple orders to provide rolling stock and systems infrastructure for Ho Chi Minh City’s 19.7 km Metro Line 1 between Bến Thành and Suoi Tien (max speed 110 km/h), scheduled to open in 2018. The contract value is approx. ¥37 billion and covers 51 railcars (17 sets), signaling and wireless communication systems, transformer stations, platform doors, TVMs and faregates, and railyard equipment, as well as maintenance for a five-year period after opening. The line will include both elevated and underground segments.

This is the first phase of a plan to construct a metro system for Ho Chi Minh City, and is being implemented with STEP yen loans provided by the Japan International Cooperation Agency.

There’s a video report in this NHK article:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...227211000.html
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #5606
quashlo

Residential tower and former station on Himeji Monorail to be demolished
モノレール軌道貫通、駅もあったビル解体へ

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/ne...OYT1T00921.htm

This is a 10-story multi-family residence in Himeji City that housed a station on the now-abandoned Himeji Monorail that opened as the first publicly-operated monorail in Japan for the 1966 Himeji Expo. The building is unique in that the monorail passed directly underneath and through the lower floors. The building is owned by the Urban Renaissance Agency (UR), which plans to demolish it due to concerns over the seismic stability of the lower floors of the building, where the monorail viaduct passes through.

The 1.8 km monorail was constructed at the cost of ¥1.4 billion and connected what was then JNR Himeji Station with the expo facilities in Tegarayama Central Park (手柄山中央公園), beginning operation in May 1966. Service was suspended eight years later due to struggling ridership, and the line was completely abandoned in 1979.

At the time of construction of the building, the city purchased the first four floors of the building, building the monorail viaduct and station on 3F and 4F, with stores on 1F and 2F. Currently, the first two floors are used as storage by the city, with the 77 units on 5F through 10F currently about two-thirds occupied.

A lot of railfans would love to keep the building, but inspections following the Great Hanshin Earthquake indicated there is a high degree of structural failure in the event of an M6 or M7 quake. UR was considering seismic reinforcement but decided against it given cost concerns.

Old June 11th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #5607
quashlo

Plans for new station between Ōfuna, Fujisawa kick into gear
大船-藤沢駅間の新駅構想、本格始動へ

http://news.kanaloco.jp/localnews/article/1306110005/

On 2013.06.10, a liaison group comprising representatives from Kanagawa Prefecture, Fujisawa City, and Kamakura City revealed the results of a study on establishing a new urban hub in the Muraoka / Fukasawa districts, with both cities announcing they plan to move forward with securing urban planning approvals for the necessary land readjustment projects.

The “Fukasawa District” covers about 32.5 ha in Kajiwara, Kamakura City, primarily focused on former railway-related industrial land owned by JR East (鎌倉総合車両センター深沢事業所) and about 8.1 ha owned by Kamakura City. The plan calls for a large-scale retail facilities (i.e., a mall), medical and social welfare higher-education facilities including a nursing vocational college, residences, and administrative facilities. Demolition of existing buildings and electrical infrastructure on the site is currently underway, with Kamakura City hoping to obtain urban planning approvals for land readjustment sometime this fiscal year.

The “Muraoka District” comprises about 9.6 ha in Muraoka Higashi, Fujisawa City, and will house the new rail station along with R&D space, lifestyle convenience facilities, and residences. Fujisawa City hopes to obtain urban planning approvals as early as FY2014 and project approvals in FY2015.

The study estimated that daily ridership at the new station in 2030 would be abour 65,800.
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #5608
quashlo

Stations host unusual vending machines
バナナ・フィギュア・文庫本…駅ナカに個性派自販機

http://www.asahi.com/business/update...306110105.html

An interesting casual read… Vending machines are ubiquitous in Japan, but train stations are hosting some unusual variations on the theme, selling products that typically aren’t sold in this manner:

Code:
Product                First unit  Stations
=====================  ==========  ======================================
Apples                   2011.01     5 including Tōkyō Metro Kasumigaseki
Bananas                  2010.06     4 including Tōkyō Metro Tōkyō
Figurines, other toys    2008.11     9 including JR Akihabara, Yokohama
Canned bread             2007.06       JR Hiratsuka
Books                    2007.05     6 including JR Ebisu, Ikebukuro
Umbrellas                2005.08    21 including JR Suidōbashi, Ōmiya

Svartmetall liked this post
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #5609
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Canned bread, that's a new one!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #5610
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Canned bread, that's a new one!
And that's not even counting the things that we ought not mention in this thread.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #5611
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

The bread costs 380 yen, which is pretty steep considering the bread sold at station kiosks typically are priced 100~120 yen. You do get a fresh baked taste with the canned bread, apparently. I suspect the Hiratsuka Sta. vending machine is a test marketing device- perhaps aimed at male commuters as Hiratsuka is on the outer radius of the Tokaido Line commuter belt.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #5612
Hegemonic

Likes (Received): 366

i heard that you can get ladies underwear from these machines also.
Hegemonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5613
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemonic View Post
i heard that you can get ladies underwear from these machines also.
That would be the thing that I wasn't going to mention.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #5614
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

That's more of a myth than anything, since it's often depicted that used ladies underwear is widely available on these. That's not true, I don't even know if it exist anymore. But I have seen a picture of one in a basement of a dodgy store a while ago.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #5615
quashlo

JR Kyūshū will forego ¥1 fare increments
JR九州、運賃1円刻み見送りへ…ICカード

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atmoney/new...htm?from=ylist

With the upcoming increase in consumption tax in April of next year to 5%, JR Kyūshū has decided that they will forego increasing fares at ¥1 increments for IC card holders, instead increasing them and rounding to the nearest ¥10 as currently. It appears that Nishi-Nippon Railroad (Nishitetsu) will also follow suit.
Old June 12th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #5616
quashlo

Convenience stores become bus stops
コンビニをバス待合室に 横浜市、ファミマと組む

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A610C1L82000/

Yokohama City has teamed up with convenience store giant Family Mart to turn the eat-in corners inside its stores (used by customers purchasing food) as waiting spaces for buses operated by the city. Tablet screens will be installed at each location to allow customers to check the status of bus service.

The service will launch at the Wadaya Manseichō Family Mart, which is located next to the Azumabashi bus stop (Google Map). An eat-in corner was established at the store in late May, and bus passengers can wait inside the store even if they don’t purchase anything.

In the past, the city has installed similar displays at City Hall and major retail facilities, but this is the first time they are doing this in a convenience store. They are hoping to expand the program to other convenience stores for stops where the sidewalks are too narrow to allow construction of sheltered waiting spaces.

An interesting solution that benefits both bus passengers and the convenience store. It obviously won’t work everywhere (as plentiful as combini are in Japan, there will inevitably be some locations where the closest store is just too far away to be of practical use for waiting), but it’s still a fairly creative solution that benefits all parties.

Svartmetall, Swede, Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
Old June 13th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #5617
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

That's a really good idea.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #5618
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

Quote:
Convenience stores become bus stops
コンビニをバス待合室に 横浜市、ファミマと組む
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A610C1L82000/

Yokohama City has teamed up with convenience store giant Family Mart to turn the eat-in corners inside its stores (used by customers purchasing food) as waiting spaces for buses operated by the city. Tablet screens will be installed at each location to allow customers to check the status of bus service.

The service will launch at the Wadaya Manseichō Family Mart, which is located next to the Azumabashi bus stop (Google Map). An eat-in corner was established at the store in late May, and bus passengers can wait inside the store even if they don&rsquo;t purchase anything.

In the past, the city has installed similar displays at City Hall and major retail facilities, but this is the first time they are doing this in a convenience store. They are hoping to expand the program to other convenience stores for stops where the sidewalks are too narrow to allow construction of sheltered waiting spaces.

An interesting solution that benefits both bus passengers and the convenience store. It obviously won&rsquo;t work everywhere (as plentiful as combini are in Japan, there will inevitably be some locations where the closest store is just too far away to be of practical use for waiting), but it&rsquo;s still a fairly creative solution that benefits all parties.
Truly interesting and innovative idea! I hope it can be done at other high-traffic locations, including cafes. I suspect the convenience store is a great place to put the bus time screens because that's a high-visibility location where customers can buy their stuff and eat in while waiting for their desired bus. That's a genius breakthrough to an almost-monotonous view of convenience stores as "grab-and-go" places.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5619
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

I think this move is reflective in one way of the growing use of convenience stores for services once provided (or exclusively provided) by public facilities- such things as mail boxes, parcel post services, and as safe havens for children in distress.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #5620
quashlo

Sumitomo Mitsui Construction JV selected for Jakarta MRT contract
三井住友建設、インドネシアでMRTの地下区間工事を受注

http://response.jp/article/2013/06/12/199941.html

This is regarding Phase 1 of the Jakarta MRT project, which is being financed by the Japanese government through yen loans. Phase 1 encompasses 15.7 km on a north-south alignment through central Jakarta, of which about 6 km will be underground. Sumitomo Mitsui Corporation, in a joint venture with local Indonesian firm Hutama Karya, has been selected for Segment CP106, which covers about 2 km at the northern terminus of the line and includes two underground stations and bored tunnels. The bid price was ¥15.6 billion, and construction will last from June 2013 through March 2018.

A second consortium of Shimizu Corporation, Ōbayashi Corporation, and local firms Wijaya Karya and Jaya Konstruksi will be responsible for two other civil contracts.

English language news:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...ts-signed.html
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=525