daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #5621
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Toei Bus will launch trial 24-hour service on Shibuya – Roppongi route
都バス24時間化:毎週金〜土曜の渋谷−六本木に計8本

http://mainichi.jp/select/news/20130...40128000c.html

The trial will begin in December and will cover Friday night (i.e., Saturday morning) service between 1:00 AM and 5:00 AM. There will be seven total stops on the 2.75 km route:

Roppongi Station
Roppongi 6-chōme
Nishi-Azabu
Minami-Aoyama 7-chōme
Aoyama Gakuin Chūtōbu
Shibuya 3-chōme
Shibuya Station

The late-night service will comprise four trips in each direction (operated at hourly headways), so a total of 8 trips. Fares will be ¥800, double the normal fare and the same as existing late-night bus service.

FNN also has a video report here:
http://www.fnn-news.com/news/headlin...N00247960.html

Svartmetall liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #5622
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post

I think this move is reflective in one way of the growing use of convenience stores for services once provided (or exclusively provided) by public facilities- such things as mail boxes, parcel post services, and as safe havens for children in distress.
You're be amazed by what you CAN do at a konbini, as convenience stores are known in Japan. Indeed, you can find out more from this article of what a konbini is like:

http://www.tofugu.com/2012/02/03/jap...ts=The Konbini

But seriously, integrating a konbini as part of a major transit stop is a great idea. That's why you see them a lot near major train stations in Japan--in some cases, they're located in the shopping mall of the train station itself.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #5623
quashlo

Yui Rail extension to break ground in November
モノレール、浦添延伸 11月に着工

http://article.okinawatimes.co.jp/ar...13-06-14_50449

On 2013.06.13, Okinawa Prefecture opened the construction office for the 4.1 km, four station , ¥35 billon extension of the Yui Rail from its current terminus at Shuri to Urasoe City. The office will house 16 staff from Okinawa Prefecture, Naha City, and Urasoe City, and a groundbreaking ceremony is planned for November, with an opening in 2019.

In terms of progress, the necessary land acquisition has been completed from Shuri to the first station (Ishimine), but there are still areas remaining in Urasoe City where the land has not been obtained yet, so they will focus on some of the preliminary construction work such as utilities removal / relocation while they continue to work on acquiring the land. The first major work will involve column construction between Shuri and Ishimine and between Kyōzuka and Maeda, with the other segments following after.

The Prefectural Government and two cities will fund ¥23.1 billion of the project with help from the national government, to be used for the viaduct columns and the station building structural frames. The monorail will provide the remaining ¥11.9 billion, to be directed towards electrical systems, station finishes, and other project elements.

Old June 15th, 2013, 02:43 AM   #5624
quashlo

Agreement reached in JR Nara Line double-tracking
複線化延長で合意 JR奈良線、府と沿線市町など

http://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/politics/a...20130614000173

On 2013.06.14, Kyōto Prefecture governor Yamada Keiji announced that an agreement has largely between reached with JR West and local governments regarding double-tracking additional segments of the JR Nara Line. Specifically, the segments involved are the JR Fujimori (Fushimi Ward, Kyōto City) – Uji (Uji City), Shinden (Uji City) – Jōyō (Jōyō City), and Yamashiro Taga (Ide Town) – Tamamizu (Ide Town) sections of the line. A formal agreement will be signed in July, with a targeted completion date of FY2022.

Currently, only 23.6% of the JR Nara Line (Kyōto – Kizu) is currently double-tracked, comprising 8.2 km between Kyōto and JR Fujimori and between Uji and Shinden. Completion of these three additional segments will add another 14 km of double-track sections, bringing the line to 64% double-track.

Project cost is ¥36.9 billion, of which the Prefectural Government and local governments along the line (six cities and two towns) will cover ¥27.6 billion. As a result, JR’s funding share is only ¥9.3 billion. Double-tracking will allow them to speed up the line, increase the number of trains, improve on-time performance, and move forward with platform improvements at Kyōto and Rokujizō Stations.

After the agreement is signed, the project will enter detailed design and environmental assessment. The Prefectural Government says it will continue petitioning JR West to double-track the remaining single-track sections of the line, comprising 5.1 km between Jōyō and Yamashiro aga and 7.4 km between Tamamizu and Kizu.

Cab view on a JR Nara Line Miyako-ji rapid from Nara to Kyōto:

Old June 15th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #5625
quashlo

Kesennuma BRT to double in length before year’s end
BRT気仙沼線、バス専用道を年内に倍増

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...10C13A6L01000/

Before year’s end, another three segments (10.1 km total) of the Kesennuma Line BRT will be transferred from local roads to exclusive BRT right-of-way, bringing the total BRT ROW length to 21.7 km, about 40% of the total length of the line.

The new segments to open are Rikuzen Togura – Shizugawa (3.5 km), Shizugawa – Shizuhama (3.8 km), and Rikuzen Minato – Rikuzen Koizumi (2.8 km). Currently, the BRT service uses National Route 45 and other local roads on these segments, and easily gets delayed as a result of signal delay and other traffic conditions.

Construction on additional exclusive ROW segments will continue next year, eventually reaching a target of 70% (40 km total) of the line. The project needs to be coordinated with other efforts, including construction at the local government level related to breakwaters, but if the plan is realized, the current 113-minute travel time between Yanaizu and Kesennuma will be reduced to 100 minutes, coming quite close to the travel times when the rail line was still in service (90 minutes for local).
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #5626
quashlo

JR East downsizes Yokohama Station redevelopment citing seismic concerns
横浜駅西口再開発ビル縮小 JR東、震災受け安全性重視

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...3A610C1L72000/

The station tenant building being constructed at the West Exit of Yokohama Station by JR East and Tōkyū as part of a redevelopment project will be reduced in scale. The original plans called for a 195 m, 33-story skyscraper at the site (the former Yokohama Cial station tenant building and Yokohama Excel Hotel Tōkyū). B2F through 9F was planned for a retail facility, with 13F through 33F planned for office. The building will now be downsized to allow them to focus on a more structurally safe design following the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake, focusing primarily on the height of the building. The revised plan will be finalized this autumn.

The city has formalized redevelopment guidelines for the area around Yokohama Station, requesting cooperation with regards to accepting passengers who are stranded and cannot get home in the event of emergency situations and designations tsunami evacuation areas. JR East plans to design the new station tenant building to serve as a neighborhood refuge zone in the event of a disaster.

Demolition of the Tōkyū hotel a few months ago (2013.02.27):

Old June 15th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #5627
quashlo

Next milestone for Keisei Oshiage Line Oshiage – Yahiro grade-separation coming in August
京成、押上線押上~八広間の上り線を高架線に切替…8月24日始発から

http://response.jp/article/2013/06/13/200008.html

Keisei Electric Railway and the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government announced that they have reached the next milestone in the grade-separation (elevation) of about 1.5 km Oshiage Line between Oshiage and Yahiro on 2013.08.24. The new elevated inbound track will enter service on 2013.08.25.

This ¥31 billion project is joint rail-road urban planning project, involving elevation of the rail line and one intermediate station (Keisei Hikifune) and elimination of 8 grade crossings. Project approvals were obtained way back in November 2000, and groundbreaking was in August 2008. This new milestone will allow them to work on constructing the outbound elevated track.

Scenes on the Oshiage Line near Tateishi Station (2013.02):

Old June 15th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #5628
quashlo

Joint committee to be established between MLIT, TMG, and Tōkyō Metro

Official MLIT press release:
http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/t...hh_000040.html

NHK video report, including a press conference by Tōkyō Governor Inose Chiji:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...313761000.html

Not a lot of details, but the joint committee will consist of the following members:

Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT):
Chief of the Railway Bureau

Tōkyō Metropolitan Government:
Vice-Governor
Transport Bureau Chief

Tōkyō Metro:
President and Representative Director

The committee will hold a conference sometime in late July, with the goal of discussing how to consolidate the Toei Subway and Tōkyō Metro and improve service for passengers.
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #5629
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
JR East downsizes Yokohama Station redevelopment citing seismic concerns
The diagram is interesting- it appears they are planning a portion of the building extending over a section of the station platforms- either as an ekinaka facility or shops/restaurants like the arrangement at JR Hakata (Hakata City). Certainly a supplemental overhead entrances/exits layout would be helpful in relieving congestion in the current under platform (and frankly somewhat depressing- literally and figuratively) arrangement. The key is to not completely cover the platform space (which seems to be the case here) to prevent a "grotto effect" a la Birmingham New Street and numerous Japanese examples.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #5630
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5780

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Toei Bus will launch trial 24-hour service on Shibuya – Roppongi route
都バス24時間化:毎週金〜土曜の渋谷−六本木に計8本

http://mainichi.jp/select/news/20130...40128000c.html

The trial will begin in December and will cover Friday night (i.e., Saturday morning) service between 1:00 AM and 5:00 AM. There will be seven total stops on the 2.75 km route:

Roppongi Station
Roppongi 6-chōme
Nishi-Azabu
Minami-Aoyama 7-chōme
Aoyama Gakuin Chūtōbu
Shibuya 3-chōme
Shibuya Station

The late-night service will comprise four trips in each direction (operated at hourly headways), so a total of 8 trips. Fares will be ¥800, double the normal fare and the same as existing late-night bus service.

FNN also has a video report here:
http://www.fnn-news.com/news/headlin...N00247960.html
800 yen to travel 2.75 km?

Can someone look up if this is the highest bus fare per km in the world?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #5631
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post

I don't know where that 800 yen figure comes from. The original Mainichi article states the new service will have the same fare (400 yen) as the existing "midnight 25"yakan bus early AM bus services. The regular fare for Toei bus is 200 yen flat.

That said, I would just walk to Shibuya.

http://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/bus/fare/index.html
Old June 15th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #5632
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I myself clearly remember riding a KiHa 40 trainset (no air conditioning, either!) from Kyoto and Nara in 1985. Gawd, it was hot in the car (the ceiling fans could barely keep up), and it felt like riding through everyone's back yard! No wonder why back then, Kintetsu enjoyed a lot of patronage between Kyoto and Nara with their more modern, air-conditioned trainsets.

Today, at least JR West are running air-conditioned 221 Series trainsets on the line. Hopefully, the eventual full double-tracking between Kyoto and Nara will reduce the travel time and increase frequency on the route.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #5633
k.k.jetcar

That's interesting as the Nara Line was electrified in October 1984 between Kyoto and Nara. Apparently some trains were still dmu's despite 105 and 113 series taking over. Unfortunately with electrification the cross-country Kyoto-Wakayama diesel express Kinokawa (via the Nara/Sakurai/Wakayama Lines) was discontinued.
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #5634
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40960

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Convenience stores become bus stops
コンビニをバス待合室に 横浜市、ファミマと組む

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A610C1L82000/

Yokohama City has teamed up with convenience store giant Family Mart to turn the eat-in corners inside its stores (used by customers purchasing food) as waiting spaces for buses operated by the city. Tablet screens will be installed at each location to allow customers to check the status of bus service.

The service will launch at the Wadaya Manseichō Family Mart, which is located next to the Azumabashi bus stop (Google Map). An eat-in corner was established at the store in late May, and bus passengers can wait inside the store even if they don’t purchase anything.

In the past, the city has installed similar displays at City Hall and major retail facilities, but this is the first time they are doing this in a convenience store. They are hoping to expand the program to other convenience stores for stops where the sidewalks are too narrow to allow construction of sheltered waiting spaces.

An interesting solution that benefits both bus passengers and the convenience store. It obviously won’t work everywhere (as plentiful as combini are in Japan, there will inevitably be some locations where the closest store is just too far away to be of practical use for waiting), but it’s still a fairly creative solution that benefits all parties.
In Sao Paulo (Brazil), one of the airport bus lines to Guarulhos International Airport departs in a convenience store at a gas station. The store itself sells tickets to passengers.

Rodalvesdepaula está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #5635
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post

Typo. Should say ¥400, like k.k.jetcar said.
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #5636
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

¥400 for a relatively short bus ride (local service) during the overnight seems reasonable, as not a lot of people might want to ride the bus to go home from work or partying, but, should this program work and become popular, that could be expanded to even more areas (longer lines) and bring in even more people to use buses in the process. But, I understand that taxis may be concerned with this because they might lose customers...

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #5637
k.k.jetcar

I think efforts like these will be focused on merely getting people out of the city center (within the Yamanote loop) to the various train terminals, where they can catch the earliest trains home, in whatever direction- thus one bus route, by passing the baton to the railways, can serve multiple final destinations. Longer runs into the suburbs are less efficient and pose the problem of what to do with the return trip back to the depot- will it be a non-revenue run (with associated costs), or, will there even be a viable market for a return trip?
Old June 17th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #5638
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

If that's the case, will there be a possibility of a second route that would allow riders to take the bus between Shibuya Station (near Hikarie) and Shinjuku Station, if not all the way to Ikebukuro Station too? Or, perhaps a good alternative would be Shibuya Station via Shinagawa Station to Tokyo Station... Maybe even serve Ginza too.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #5639
quashlo

Hiroshima City committee recommends elevated option for Hiroden realignment
広電駅前大橋線は高架で一致

http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201306180017.html

Good to see that this project hasn’t been stalled following the leadership changes at Hiroden… On 2013.06.17, the Hiroshima City working group tasked with redesigning the South Exit of JR Hiroshima Station recommended the elevated option for the proposed realignment of the Hiroden Main Line into the station—the so-called 駅前大橋線—marking a new milestone in progress since the plans first surfaced back in 1999.

Although both an elevated option and an underground option were feasible from an engineering perspective, the estimated cost for the elevated option is ¥13.5 billion, a substantial savings over the underground option (¥19.5 billion). The elevated option also offers the added benefits of improved convenience for passengers transferring to and from JR Hiroshima Station, which will be rebuilt with a new station tenant building and a second-floor elevated concourse and platform bridge.

Under the elevated option, the Hiroden tracks would begin rising after the main bridge south of the station (駅前大橋), connecting into 2F of the new station building. The realignment will reduce route length by about 200 m and shave about 4 minutes off the travel time.

Old June 17th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5640
quashlo

Kōbe Shimbun video report on the new observation deck at JR Himeji Station and connecting skybridge to San’yō Himeji Station. The view is great, although I kind of wish they had gone with a full-width canopy, instead of half-half.

Pedestrian counts by Himeji City also indicated a rise this fiscal year in foot traffic, which posted a 7.3% year-over-year increase thanks to the new station tenant building at JR Himeji Station (Piole Himeji) and the newly-renovated underground mall (Gran Festa). Overall, good news for Himeji.

geometarkv liked this post