daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #5701
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8792

It is kinda sad to hear about all these small lines being abandoned across Japan. I take it there will be bus replacements for most of them, though?
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #5702
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

I would like to know why, with Keio and Chuo they don't just add additional elevated tracks. Seems to me that that would be cheaper, and that they have the land for it. It also improves operational flexibility.

Hearing about these small lines having problems is very depressing. Even buses can't compare-more pollution than electric.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #5703
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I would like to know why, with Keio and Chuo they don't just add additional elevated tracks. Seems to me that that would be cheaper, and that they have the land for it. It also improves operational flexibility.

Hearing about these small lines having problems is very depressing. Even buses can't compare-more pollution than electric.
A couple of comments:

1. Wouldn't it be cheaper to rebuild every station from Takao to Shinjuku to accommodate lengthened E233-0 trains with (probably) 14 cars per train? That way, we get more capacity with less need for expensive track rebuilding.

2. As for replacing little-used trains with buses, I believe many new buses in Japan now require the use of compressed natural gas (CNG) as fuel. As such, bus service can be implemented with very little change in air pollution levels.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #5704
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11244

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post

On elevating the Keio and Chuo lines, remember: we're talking about not just two railway tracks, but we're referring to quadruple tracks. The current setup only permits for an elevated line with two tracks because that has been the setup west of Mitaka Station, and acquiring more land to add two extra tracks in an already-crowded area, especially before Tachikawa Station, can be prohibitively expensive to start with. The double tracks west of Mitaka Station is shared with Chuo Rapid, Limited Express, and Special Rapid trains, as well as other JR trains heading west to Nagano, Ōme, and Ryuō, and elevating the tracks could help reduce the bottleneck as well as increasing rail capacity significantly, but at very high costs. So we need to look into solving the land acquisition problem, especially near highly built-up areas near Kokubunji and Tachikawa Stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
A couple of comments:

1. Wouldn't it be cheaper to rebuild every station from Takao to Shinjuku to accommodate lengthened E233-0 trains with (probably) 14 cars per train? That way, we get more capacity with less need for expensive track rebuilding.

2. As for replacing little-used trains with buses, I believe many new buses in Japan now require the use of compressed natural gas (CNG) as fuel. As such, bus service can be implemented with very little change in air pollution levels.
It may be a feasible solution to rebuild stations along the Chuo Main Line, but note that not all train stations may see platform extensions, especially at Shinjuku Station where two train island platforms (Platforms 7 and 8, 11 and 12) will need to be extended at the same time at the expense of other platforms and rail switches because it is a busiest station in Tokyo, and it will mean a lot of delays when such a construction commences. And by the way, I don't even know if any of the train platforms along the Chuo Main Line can accommodate the 14-car trains, especially west of Kanda Station... Most of the platforms can accommodate 10-car trains at most, but the larger stations like Tokyo and Shinjuku can accommodate longer trains. And, the Chuo Line also branches off to Ōme as well, which may mean we need to consider extending platforms on the Ōme Line too.

As for rail replacement to bus, I believe that it is much cheaper to operate buses on areas with lower train ridership because it means lower maintenance costs and better flexibility between routes and roadways used. Yes, it can also bring even more people closer to their homes, but, it can also mean slower boarding times and higher risks of being stuck in traffic.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

Highcliff liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #5705
00Zy99

Regarding the quadrupling-they are already buying land to build bypass tracks while they put in the elevated structures. Why not just use that land for expanding the service-installing one set of tracks, shifting service, then installing the other set.
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #5706
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I'll say this though: Tokyo residents can't WAIT for the Tōhoku Jūkan Line to open. Once that opens, trains coming in geographic north from Takasaki and Utsunomiya can now go as far south as Shinagawa immediately, with a future extension all the way to Yokohama Station. This would tremendously cut the extreme overcrowding on the Keihin-Tōhoku Line and Yamanote Line between Ueno and Shinagawa during commute hours, to say the least, since passengers coming in from the north no longer have to change trains at Omiya or Ueno just to get to the government and business offices in the Tokyo Station to Shinagawa Station areas.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:04 PM   #5707
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
I'll say this though: Tokyo residents can't WAIT for the Tōhoku Jūkan Line to open. Once that opens, trains coming in geographic north from Takasaki and Utsunomiya can now go as far south as Shinagawa immediately, with a future extension all the way to Yokohama Station. This would tremendously cut the extreme overcrowding on the Keihin-Tōhoku Line and Yamanote Line between Ueno and Shinagawa during commute hours, to say the least, since passengers coming in from the north no longer have to change trains at Omiya or Ueno just to get to the government and business offices in the Tokyo Station to Shinagawa Station areas.

Are there any new images of it that you've seen recently?
Old July 1st, 2013, 09:19 PM   #5708
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Hitachi UK factory misses out on German train contract
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/bus...rain_contract/

Quote:
HITACHI Rail Europe is upping efforts to secure more work for its new plant in the North-East after it failed to win a lucrative contract in Germany.

The Japanese firm bid to manufacture 60 commuter trains for Deutsche Bahn at its factory in Newton Aycliffe, County Durham which opens in 2016.

Failure to secure the contract, which is worth up to £280m, delivered a blow to Hitachi's attempt to build up an order book that will secure the long-term future of its £82m Aycliffe plant and 730 workers.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 09:20 PM   #5709
quashlo

Kawasaki Heavy Industries delivers all 5 TBMs for Singapore MRT Downtown Line Phase 3
シンガポール地下鉄工事向け泥土圧式シールド掘進機5機を完納

http://www.khi.co.jp/news/detail/20130701_1.html

Quote:
川崎重工は、シンガポール地下鉄のダウンタウンライン第3期建設工事に投入されるシールド掘進機5機を完納しました。今回完納したシールド掘進機は、2011年8月に928工区および932工区向けに佐藤工業(株)のシンガポール法人Sato Kogyo (S) Pte.Ltdから3機、2011年10月に930工区向けに韓国のエスケー建設(SK Engineering & Construction)から2機を受注したものです。

今回納入した掘進機は、全て泥土圧式シールド掘進機(直径6.67m)で、現在シンガポール陸上交通庁(Land Transport Authority:LTA)が進めている地下鉄ダウンタウンライン第3期建設工事(全長21km)のうち、Bedok North(べドック・ノース)駅からKaki Bukit(カキ・ブキ)駅(928工区)、Ubi(ウビ)駅からMacPherson(マクファーソン)駅(930工区)、Mattar(マター)駅からGeylang Bahru(ゲイラン・バル)駅(932工区)に至る3つの工区に投入され、あわせて上下線全長約6kmを掘削します。これらのトンネル掘削工事は、2014年3月頃に完成の予定です。

泥土圧式シールド掘進機は、軟弱土層の掘進に用いられるシールド掘進機の技術と、岩盤や礫層などの掘削に用いられるTBM(Tunnel Boring Machine)の技術を融合した岩盤対応型の掘進機で、複雑な土質を1機の掘進機で掘削します。本機では、当社独自のカッター交換方式を採用し、土質に応じたカッターを装備できるようにしたほか、曲線部の掘削に対応するために中折れ方式を採用するなど工区特性にあわせた仕様としています。

当社は、今回の納入分もあわせて、シンガポール地下鉄のダウンタウンライン向けにシールド掘進機10機、また超高圧送電線トンネル用の岩盤対応型泥水式シールド掘進機5機を受注するなど、これまでシンガポール向けに22機、国内外では約1,400機のシールド掘進機・TBMの受注実績を有しています。今回の案件は、当社の高い技術力と難易度の高い地質での豊富な実績が高く評価されたものです。

シンガポールでは、地下鉄トムソンライン建設工事計画(全長30kmx2本)など地下工事の増加が予想され、今後もシールド掘進機の発注が見込まれます。また、インド、ベトナム、中近東等でも地下鉄建設工事が計画されており、アジア市場全体で中長期的に安定した掘進機需要が見込まれています。

当社は、今後も国内外を問わずシールド掘進機・TBMの営業展開を積極的に推進していきます。

Kawasaki announced that they have completed delivery of two separate orders for a total of 5 earth pressure balanced shield machines (6.67 m diameter) for Phase 3 of the Singapore MRT Downtown Line extension. Specifically, these tunnel shield machines cover the following orders:
  • Contract 928 (Bedok North Station to Kaki Bukit Station) and Contract 932 (Mattar Station to Geylang Bahru Station), from Japanese contractor Satō Kōgyō (佐藤工業), awarded in August 2011.
  • Contract 930 (Ubi Station to MacPherson Station), from South Korean contractor SK Engineering & Construction, awarded in October 2011.

The machines blend soft-soil and hard-rock TBM technologies, employing a unique system specifically engineered by Kawasaki that allows for switching of cutter heads in response to soil and rock conditions.

With the completion of these orders, Kawasaki has supplied a total of 10 TBMs for the MRT Downtown Line, and a total of 22 TBMs for Singapore (including 5 slurry shield machines for high-voltage utility line tunneling).

Highcliff liked this post
Old July 1st, 2013, 09:22 PM   #5710
quashlo

JICA may help finance Lucknow Metro

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...l-project-jica

Quote:
LUCKNOW: The state government has begun considering loan options for Lucknow Metro rail project after giving green signal to its first phase. On Friday, chief minister Akhilesh Yadav held a closed door meeting with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)'s India chief, Shinya Ejima and deputy chief representative of India, Ichiguchi Tomohide along with other senior officials of the international agency.

The agency has a rich expertise in funding metro projects of cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kochi, Bangalore, Chennai and Kolkata. Though it was a preliminary round of talks between the government and the funding agency, sources said in all likelihood, JICA would be chosen as the international funding agency for the Metro rail project. Officials have already stated that they are looking for an agency which is able to sanction loan in a timely manner and has rich experience in funding mega projects. JICA comes across as the most suitable option to fulfill these terms and conditions of the government. Since it was the first visit of JICA's India chief to Lucknow, it shows the agency's keenness to fund the Metro project.

Old July 1st, 2013, 09:24 PM   #5711
quashlo

Restoration work at Moji-kō Station to be on public display starting in November
門司港駅大改修、11月末にも一般公開

http://kyushu.yomiuri.co.jp/entame/r...OYS8T00225.htm

This is a major restoration and reconstruction effort for this historic station on the Kagoshima Main Line in Kita-Kyūshū City, Fukuoka Prefecture. Work on the aging two-story wood-frame structure and was originally scheduled to take five years, but without any blueprints for the original design of the station, it’s taken JR Kyūshū some time to map out and fix all the wiring that’s running through the building. They only finished this work in June, and have just now begun the actual work on the building. With the delays, they expect to allow the public to view the restoration work starting in November from an L-shaped viewing deck at the station, using “live feeds” of the carpentry and other construction work transmitted via tablet screens.

A Vicom “backstage” tour of the station building prior to its closure for the restoration work:

Old July 1st, 2013, 09:25 PM   #5712
quashlo

New station building at JR Yao Station complete
JR八尾駅新駅舎が完成 市街地、南北連携へ

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/osa...OYT8T00074.htm

A pre-opening event was held at JR Yao Station (Yao City) on the Yamatoji Line (Kansai Main Line) to commemorate completion of the new station building, which will open to the public on 2013.07.06.

The station originally opened back in 1889 with the opening of the segment of the Ōsaka Railway (大阪鉄道) between Minatomachi (湊町)—now Namba (難波)—and Kashiwara. The original station building was built in 1913 and was beginning to show its age, lacking critical barrier-free upgrades including elevators and step-free access. The neighborhood was also divided in two by the station and tracks, complicating north-south circulation and resulting in chronic traffic congestion for the past three decades. As a result, Yao City and JR West began work on a ¥5.5 billion package of improvements at the station in 2011. In addition to the new station building, they will also carry out improvements to the Shibukawa (渋川) crossing at the west side of the station and construction of a South Exit plaza.

The new station building is a two-story steel-frame structure with an elevated concourse and 40 m long public passage, which includes an escalator in each direction and an elevator at both ends. The new ticketing entrance opens onto the public passage.

Old July 1st, 2013, 09:27 PM   #5713
quashlo

JR, Aeon sign joint agreement on new mixed-use project at Asahikawa Station
JRとイオン 旭川駅直結の複合商業施設 共同開発・運営に合意

http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/news/economic/476469.html

On 2013.06.28, JR Hokkaidō and mall developer and operator Aeon Corporation announced that they have signed a joint development and operations agreement for a new mixed-use development directly connected to Asahikawa Station. The Asahikawa Terminal Building (旭川ターミナルビル) adjacent to the station will be demolished and replaced with a new 11 story, 76,000 sq m GFA building, which, believe it or not, will become Aeon’s first large retail facility in Japan directly connected to a train station. The parcels in question total about 28,000 sq m owned by JR Hokkaidō.

The original opening was scheduled for March 2015, but it’s possible that it may drift into April. The lower floors of the building (1F through 4F, totaling 46,000 sq m) will be branded Aeon Mall JR Asahikawa (provisional name) and operated by Aeon. The tower portions (5F through 11F) will be operated as a JR Inn Asahikawa (provisional name) by a JR Hokkaidō hotel operator subsidiary.
Old July 1st, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5714
quashlo

Akabane Station tops illegal bike parking list for third straight year
都内の駅の放置自転車、赤羽が「ワースト3連覇」

http://www.asahi.com/national/update...306290355.html

For the third straight year, Akabane Station (Kita Ward) was tops within the 23 wards of Tōkyō for number of illegally parked bicycles. The FY2012 count, carried out in October, estimated 52,796 total illegally parked bicycles at train stations, with Akabane Station topping the list at 813 bikes. Using the same counting methodology as previous years by filtering out stations with less than 100 illegally parked bikes, the count drops to 34,700, the ninth straight year of decline.

The next worst stations were Tōkyō (775 bikes) and Azabu Jūban (Minato Ward) (766 bikes). The total number of illegally and legally parked bicycles was 673,487, with Mitaka Station topping the list for the second year in a row, with 11,249 bikes. Chiyoda Ward was the worst among the 23 words, with illegally parked bicycles accounting for 64.3% of all counted bikes.

A new Tōkyō Metropolitan Government ordinance actually went into effect yesterday (2013.07.01) that requires companies to ensure that they provide bike parking for employees, with the hope of cutting down on illegal bike parking, which can obstruct pedestrian passage. The new ordinance also bans the public sale of bicycles without brakes, which were already prohibited from use on public roads.

Tōkyō MX news report (2013.07.01):

fieldsofdreams, Highcliff liked this post
Old July 1st, 2013, 09:33 PM   #5715
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8792

A question about the Seibu railways news. Have there been any other press statements about the closure of lines? I've been studying the line schedule of the railways and I can see that the four lines would really be a loss to the Tokyo network. Would they be palmed off to third sector railways?
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:59 PM   #5716
quashlo

Railways, escalator manufacturers pushing to discourage walking on escalators
駅エスカレーター片側歩き 事業者が見直し呼びかけ

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXBZO...00C13A7WZ8000/

Some elderly passengers and passengers with disabilities say they experience anxiety about possibly being bumped by walking passengers and falling when using escalators, so escalator manufacturers and railway companies are urging passengers to refrain from walking while on escalators.

Walking on escalators is a widespread practice in Japan, and you are supposed to stand to one side of the escalator (left side in Tōkyō, right side in Kansai) to open up the other side for walking passengers. However, escalators aren’t really designed for walking (the steps are generally too high compared to standard stairs), and accidents involving the elderly have been on the rise. The Tōkyō Fire Department (東京消防庁) reports that there were 877 incidents on escalators in Tōkyō Prefecture in 2012, a 21% increase over 2011.

Mitsubishi Electric Building Techno Service (三菱電機ビルテクノサービス), which specializes in escalator maintenance and operations, conducted a survey of Internet users aged 60 to 85, and found that a third of respondents wanted to prohibit any walking on escalators, with 31% saying they had almost tripped or fallen at least once. While there is signage at stations discouraging escalator walking, the practice is fairly deeply ingrained, particularly among commuters who use the trains everyday during the height of the rush hour.

I suppose the other thing to consider is that escalator walking slightly increases the capacity to move people off the platforms, which is a huge issue at many stations given the passenger volume and the lack of circulation space. Many of the platforms are simply too narrow and were never designed to handle the volume of passengers they do now, but banning walking on escalators could exacerbate congestion at platform level, presenting a whole new set of (potentially more grave) safety issues if escalator queues fail to clear before the arrival of the next trains.

Perhaps what they should do is simply discourage walking in the down direction, as the potential for injury to elderly and disabled passengers is more serious going down than going up. If I remember correctly, there was a recent accident that made the headlines involving a man who was walking down the escalator to catch his train, but he bumped into an elderly passenger, causing her to fall all the way down and killing her.

fieldsofdreams, geometarkv, Highcliff liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:00 AM   #5717
quashlo

Discussions to begin on potential early opening for Ishimine Station on YuiRail extension
ゆいレール石嶺駅の先行開業議論へ

http://article.okinawatimes.co.jp/ar...13-07-02_51182

This is regarding the 4.1 km extension of the monorail north from Shuri into Urasoe City, with stations at Ishimine (石嶺), Kyōzuka (経塚), Maeda (前田), and Uranishi (浦西). The current plan calls for opening the entire extension in spring 2019, but Naha City is lobbying for a potential early opening in 2017 for the segment up to Ishimine Station. Land acquisition and other basic work for the extension up to Ishimine has already been completed, and a phased opening schedule would better improve convenience for city residents. Urasoe City opposes the proposal though, as they are afraid that it may increase their share of the required funding and potentially delay completion of the extension to Urasoe. The majority of the extension (2.4 km) lies within Urasoe City limits, and a phased opening first to Ishimine would require as much as ¥800 million more for a new crossover to turn back trains.

A special liaison committee will be established this month with representatives from both cities, Okinawa Prefecture, and YuiRail.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:02 AM   #5718
quashlo

Name selected for new Aoi Mori Railway station
青い森鉄道線の新駅名「筒井駅」 青森

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...4070000-n1.htm

This is the new station on the third-sector Aoi Mori Railway in the Tsutsui district of Aomori City. The station will be named “Tsutsui”, with a secondary name of Aomori Kōkō-mae (青森高校前) (Aomori Prefectural High School is near the station). The station will open before fiscal year close, and will feature a 90 m long platform (4 carlengths), plus an elevator.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:03 AM   #5719
quashlo

JR East announces new E233 series sets for Nambu Line
JR東日本、南武線にもE233系投入 - 35編成を新造、運転開始は2014年度から

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/07/02/226/index.html

Official press release:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20130703.pdf

There was quite a flurry of news out of JR East yesterday (2013.07.02) as part of the company president’s regular press conference… The biggest news was that the railway will be introducing another order of E233 series sets, this time for the Nambu Line. I was pleasantly surprised when they announced they would be introducing E233s to the Yokohama Line, but this caught me slightly more off guard.

A total of 35 6-car trains (210 cars total) will be manufactured, to be introduced starting in FY2014. Currently, there are 31 205 series trains (ex-Yamanote Line cars) and 4 209 series trains (all ex-Keihin‒Tōhoku Line cars, except for 1 set), so this order will be a full-scale phase out of all stock on the line. Following on the heels of the recent institution of rapid service on the line, this should be a huge improvement for passengers on this key suburban link in western Tōkyō, as the new sets will feature 10% more passenger capacity and consume only 70% of the electricity compared to the 205 series. Interior lighting will be all-LED, consuming only 60% of the electricity of incandescent lighting systems. Design speed will be 120 km/h like the rest of the E233 series sets, although the maximum operating speed will only be 95 km/h.

205 series

209 series

fieldsofdreams, geometarkv, Highcliff liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:05 AM   #5720
quashlo

JR East announces new trains for Niigata, Sendai areas
JR東日本に新型車両2形式 - E129系とディーゼルハイブリッド車両HB-E210系

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/07/02/245/index.html

Official press release:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20130703.pdf

In addition to the new E233s for the Nambu Line in the Tōkyō area, JR East also announced two major rolling stock orders for its secondary service areas in Niigata and Sendai.

For Niigata, JR East will introduce a new series, the E129s, for its services in the Niigata region, including the Jōetsu Line (Minakami – Miyauchi), Shin’etsu Main Line (Naoetsu – Niigata), Uetsu Main Line (Niitsu – Murakami), Hakushin Line (Niigata – Shibata), Echigo Line (Kashiwazaki – Niigata), and Yahiko Line (Higashi-Sanjō – Yahiko). The order covers 30 2-car sets and 25 4-car sets for 160 cars total. Based on the size of the order, it seems that these new trains will replace all 115 series in the Niigata region, which will be a huge improvement for passengers, as these are JNR era trains. The new sets will enter service starting in FY2014.

The interior layout will be similar to the 115 series, with semi-transverse seating, but will include wider seats and various universal design improvements. The new trains will also have 15 to 20% more capacity than the 115 series, and consume a mere half of the electricity. Interior lighting will be all LEDs, consuming 40% less electricity than incandescent lighting. The trains will be specially designed to deal with the cold, snowy climate of Niigata.

JR East also announced a slightly smaller order of a new diesel-hybrid train series to be introduced onto the Senseki Line and Tōhoku Main Line in the Sendai area starting in 2015. The order covers 8 2-car trains (16 cars total), and will be introduced in 2015 as part of the new track connection being built between Takagimachi Station on the Senseki Line and Matsushima Station on the Tōhoku Main Line. The cars will feature three doors per side to meet the demands of urban services, and will feature all-LED interior lighting. The hybrid propulsion technology with regenerative braking has been in use by JR East for some time now, starting with the Kiha E200 series introduced onto the Koumi Line in 2007 and the HB-300 series introduced into the Morioka, Akita, and Nagano areas in 2010, and reduces pollutant emissions, including nitrous oxides (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) by 60%.

Kiha E200 series on the Koumi Line:

fieldsofdreams, kyah117, Highcliff liked this post