daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:06 AM   #5721
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Yaesu Exit improvements at Tōkyō Station to open on 2013.09.20
歩行者デッキ、9月使用開始 東京駅八重洲側

http://www.asahi.com/area/tokyo/arti...307020459.html

Official press release:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20130701.pdf

The new canopy and pedestrian deck to debut at the Yaesu Exit (east side) of JR Tōkyō Station is nearing completion and will open to the public on 2013.09.20. This is the next milestone in JR East’s “Tōkyō Station City” project, following the completion of the restoration of the Marunouchi Station Building at the west exit of the station in October of last year.

The Yaesu Exit improvements, known as the “GranRoof”, encompass 230 m along the length of the exit and include a 27 m tall canopy, 9 m wide pedestrian deck, 370 sq m Midori no Madoguchi (staffed ticket counter), and 15 retail spaces (1,900 sq m retail space total), as well as a highway express coach terminal that opened for service in March 2011.

The next and last major milestone is the new 10,700 sq m transit plaza to open in autumn 2014, which will include 13 bus berths (currently only 9), 4 taxi berths (currently only 3), a new 50-space taxi pool (currently none) and 7 berths for private automobiles (currently none).

Pedestrian deck:

fieldsofdreams, Highcliff liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:48 AM   #5722
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 787

After all this is finished, I don't think there will be a train station in the world as great as Tokyo.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:11 AM   #5723
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
After all this is finished, I don't think there will be a train station in the world as great as Tokyo.
Yes, it terms of services and shopping/dining both within and surrounding the station, as well as luxury hotels adjacent, the recent improvements likely put Tokyo Sta. in the top 5 in the world. Almost certainly it is the safest very large station in the free world (both inside and surrounding area).
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:01 AM   #5724
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
JR East announces new E233 series sets for Nambu Line
JR東日本、南武線にもE233系投入 - 35編成を新造、運転開始は2014年度から
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/07/02/226/index.html
Hallelujah. This and the new Yokohama line E233s are going to be a major help for us here in northern Kanagawa.

None of the current trains have automated announcements or information displays inboard and the conductor's voices are always muffled over the PA systems.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:41 AM   #5725
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Hallelujah. This and the new Yokohama line E233s are going to be a major help for us here in northern Kanagawa.

None of the current trains have automated announcements or information displays inboard and the conductor's voices are always muffled over the PA systems.
On a tangentially related note, is it just me or do Yokohama Line trains tend to have more wheel flats than other lines? It seems every other train has a rattling/pounding wheelset somewhere in the consist.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:20 AM   #5726
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

yeah, but its probably due to all the emergency stops they make. Have you seen the platforms at Kozukue, Shin-Yokohama, and Kikuna during the AM rush? Mad house is an understatement.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:24 AM   #5727
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
yeah, but its probably due to all the emergency stops they make. Have you seen the platforms at Kozukue, Shin-Yokohama, and Kikuna during the AM rush? Mad house is an understatement.
Yes, seen the stuff at Shin-Yokohama and Kikuna in the evening (I was transferring off a Nozomi from Shin Osaka). What a contrast to the condition past Kikuna towards "HiggieKana"- I can stretch my legs then!
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:53 AM   #5728
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Railways, escalator manufacturers pushing to discourage walking on escalators
駅エスカレーター片側歩き 事業者が見直し呼びかけ

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXBZO...00C13A7WZ8000/

Some elderly passengers and passengers with disabilities say they experience anxiety about possibly being bumped by walking passengers and falling when using escalators, so escalator manufacturers and railway companies are urging passengers to refrain from walking while on escalators.

Walking on escalators is a widespread practice in Japan, and you are supposed to stand to one side of the escalator (left side in Tōkyō, right side in Kansai) to open up the other side for walking passengers. However, escalators aren’t really designed for walking (the steps are generally too high compared to standard stairs), and accidents involving the elderly have been on the rise. The Tōkyō Fire Department (東京消防庁) reports that there were 877 incidents on escalators in Tōkyō Prefecture in 2012, a 21% increase over 2011.

Mitsubishi Electric Building Techno Service (三菱電機ビルテクノサービス), which specializes in escalator maintenance and operations, conducted a survey of Internet users aged 60 to 85, and found that a third of respondents wanted to prohibit any walking on escalators, with 31% saying they had almost tripped or fallen at least once. While there is signage at stations discouraging escalator walking, the practice is fairly deeply ingrained, particularly among commuters who use the trains everyday during the height of the rush hour.

I suppose the other thing to consider is that escalator walking slightly increases the capacity to move people off the platforms, which is a huge issue at many stations given the passenger volume and the lack of circulation space. Many of the platforms are simply too narrow and were never designed to handle the volume of passengers they do now, but banning walking on escalators could exacerbate congestion at platform level, presenting a whole new set of (potentially more grave) safety issues if escalator queues fail to clear before the arrival of the next trains.

Perhaps what they should do is simply discourage walking in the down direction, as the potential for injury to elderly and disabled passengers is more serious going down than going up. If I remember correctly, there was a recent accident that made the headlines involving a man who was walking down the escalator to catch his train, but he bumped into an elderly passenger, causing her to fall all the way down and killing her.

I then recall an accident I personally saw wherein I was helping a lady get between West Portal and Civic Center in San Francisco, and at first, she was all right riding one escalator up to the concourse level. We then moved on to the street escalator wherein, for some reason, she lost her balance (and no one was next to her, with me assisting in front to make sure she's doing okay) and slid down the escalator back to the concourse level. I helped her keep her balance, but she lost it and I had to yell "stop the escalator!" No one was beside her walking up when she fell, and I had to be right next to her for a few minutes, comforting her. I had to tell the emergency personnel what happened (she was on her way from a surgery back to Petaluma), and I walked out of the scene when the ambulance came in to pick her up. We were so close to the bus stop that she could've just crossed the intersection and got there... And yet, she tripped. Sad story indeed, it reminds me of what you described today.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:32 PM   #5729
ddes

Likes (Received): 935

I have to say, in my relatively short visits to Tokyo, I observed that Japanese especially women, tend to be very prone to falling down on stairs and escalators. There was the one time, I saw a lady in Ikebukuro station and it almost looked like she did it on purpose - she let go of her bags for a split second - then went face down (I've to admit, it was comedic and I almost laughed), but the scene turned out to be pretty bloody.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #5730
quashlo

Two new trainsets for Yokohama Municipal Subway Green Line
横浜市営地下鉄、グリーンライン増発へ

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...00C13A7L82000/

Yokohama City will invest ¥1.9 billion in purchasing two new trainsets for the Municipal Subway Green Line linking Hiyoshi and Nakayama Stations. Daily ridership in FY2012 increased 6.9% year-over-year thanks to population growth in Kōhoku Ward and Tsuzuki Ward, both located along the line, and the city hopes to alleviate morning rush hour crowding inside trains.

Early reports published by the city indicate that the Municipal Subway posted a ¥3.4 billion surplus for FY2012, a 10% year-over-year increase, with annual ridership increasing 2.5% to 216.45 million, bolstered by robust growth at Center Kita and Center Minami Stations. Power costs increased by 25%, however, a result of an increase in electricity rates.

By March of next year, the city plans to add two new trains (bringing the total Green Line fleet size to 17 sets), allowing them to operate four more trains during the morning rush hour schedule.

Municipal bus operations also posted a ¥1.0 billion surplus (10% increase), carrying a total of 120.66 million passengers (0.5% increase). Expansion of charter services and a reduction in personnel costs helped improve the financial performance of the city’s bus operations, but it’s expected that fuel costs will increase in FY2013 as a result of yen depreciation and other factors.

Specifically, the ridership results for FY2012 for the Green Line (source):

Code:
                             AVERAGE DAILY
STATION                  BOARDINGS ALIGHTINGS
=======================  ========= ==========
Nakayama                   12,427    12,384 
Kawawachō                   3,460     3,334
Tsuzuki - Fureai no Oka     8,828     9,021
Center Minami              14,103    14,222
Center Kita                15,946    16,156
Kita-Yamada                11,867    11,745
Higashi-Yamada              4,245     4,094
Takata                      6,180     5,960
Hiyoshi Honchō              6,768     6,210
Hiyoshi                    32,998    33,693
=======================  ========= ==========
TOTAL                     116,820   116,820
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #5731
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

All I know is that JR East is getting rid of their increasingly obsolete 205 and 209 Series EMU's in favor of E233's over the next 3-4 years. Problem is, can Kawaski Heavy Industries and J-TREC keep up with the gigantic demand for E233 trainsets?
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #5732
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
All I know is that JR East is getting rid of their increasingly obsolete 205 and 209 Series EMU's in favor of E233's over the next 3-4 years. Problem is, can Kawaski Heavy Industries and J-TREC keep up with the gigantic demand for E233 trainsets?
I think that's a "problem" any company would like to have.
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #5733
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I have to say, in my relatively short visits to Tokyo, I observed that Japanese especially women, tend to be very prone to falling down on stairs and escalators. There was the one time, I saw a lady in Ikebukuro station and it almost looked like she did it on purpose - she let go of her bags for a split second - then went face down (I've to admit, it was comedic and I almost laughed), but the scene turned out to be pretty bloody.
Could be that there are more stairs and escalators in Tokyo than in other places, don't you think?
Old July 4th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #5734
quashlo

Tōshiba receives PMSM order for Singapore MRT C151 refurbishment
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press...20130704-2561e

Quote:
TOKYO — Toshiba Corporation (TOKYO:6502) today announced that it has received a major order from Singapore railway operator, SMRT Corporation (SMRT), for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors (PMSM) for the refurbishment of existing drive systems of 66 C151 series train sets, consisting of 6 cars, a total of 396 cars. This is the first deployment of the high efficiency PMSM outside Japan, and Toshiba will use it as a springboard to winning further orders in the global market.

SMRT runs the 66 C151 series trains on two major commuter lines in Singapore's Mass Rapid Transport system: the 45-kilometer North-South Line running between Jurong East and Marina Bay and the 57k East-West Line running between Pasir Ris and Joo Koon. The trains are electric multiple units without a separate locomotive, driven by electric traction motors in one or more cars; in four of six cars in the C151 series. The SMRT trains entered service in1987, and this is the first upgrade to their drive systems

The drive systems will include Toshiba-developed PMSM and peripheral equipment. They will cut power consumption by 30%, reduce operating noise levels, and improve the operating efficiency of the trains. They will first be installed on two train sets in early 2015, and subsequently in others following 1-2 years of test runs.

With increasing urbanization and crowded city roads, rail is once again being recognized as an environmentally friendly, high efficiency, low noise, easily maintained mass transport solution. Toshiba developed PMSM as a power and noise efficient drive system for commuter trains, and it has already been introduced on trains operating on the world's busiest subway network, Tokyo Metro, including the Chiyoda Line, the Marunouchi Line and the Ginza Line.

Building on its record in Japan, Toshiba is now promoting a global expansion of its railway business by proposing its environmental friendly PMSM drive system and other products and systems to rail transport operators around the world.

Overview of the new system

New system: PMSM, VVVF inverters and peripherals for driving 396 C151 series rail cars owned by SMRT Corporation (C151 started operation from 1987 and is the oldest cars in Singapore)

Power source: DC750V (third rail)
Japanese press release:
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press...d=20130704-257
Old July 4th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #5735
quashlo

Design competition for new station plazas at Suwa-no-Mori, Hamadera Kōen Stations
浜寺公園、諏訪ノ森 駅舎生かした駅前広場 コンペ実施へ

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/osa...OYT8T00090.htm

In coordination with the grade-separation (elevation) of the Nankai Main Line, Sakai City announced on 2013.07.03 that it would launch a design competition for the new station plazas and other landscape design elements at Hamadera Kōen Station (浜寺公園駅) and Suwa-no-Mori Station (諏訪ノ森駅). The station building at Hamadera Kōen and the west station building at Suwa-no-Mori Station are both nationally registered as Tangible Cultural Heritages.

As part of the grade-separation project, work on laying temporary track on 2.7 km of the line between Ishizugawa Station (石津川駅) and the border with Takaishi City (高石市) will begin January 2014. The elevation was originally targeted for completion in FY2017, but it’s likely that the project will be delayed.

Both station buildings in question are wooden, Western-style architecture and well known for their historic value. The station building at Hamadera Kōen was designed by Tatsuno Kingo, the same architect responsible for the recently restored Marunouchi Station Building at Tōkyō Station, and was completed in 1907. The west station building at Suwa-no-Mori Station was completed in 1919 and features stained glass artwork depicting local scenery of white-sand beaches and green pine trees. Both buildings will be retained, with the city deciding in 2008 to reuse the building at Hamadera Kōen as the entrance to the new station and relocate the building at Suwa-no-Mori Station to the new station plaza to be constructed there.

Suwa-no-Mori Station

Hamadera Kōen Station

Some pictures at Hamadera Kōen:

Highcliff liked this post
Old July 5th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #5736
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
I think that's a "problem" any company would like to have.
I wonder who's going to assemble the new E129's. Will it be KHI and/or J-TREC, who will ship them "dead in consist" through the Jōetsu Line to the Niigata area? Or will Niigata Transys set up a production line to assemble it themselves, since the E129 is designed specifically to handle the snowy winters of the Niigata region?
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #5737
k.k.jetcar

I would think it would be JR East's Niitsu Rolling Stock Plant right in Niigata Prefecture- they build most of JR East's commuter stock anyway:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/niitsu/products.html
Old July 5th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #5738
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post

I would think it would be JR East's Niitsu Rolling Stock Plant right in Niigata Prefecture- they build most of JR East's commuter stock anyway:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/niitsu/products.html
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. It will be interesting to see when will we see the first E129's roll out of that plant at least for testing purposes.
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #5739
quashlo

Low-floor buses making headway in Sendai
仙台の路線バス、低床化加速 高齢者らの利用促す

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A700C1L01000/

The rate of introduction of low-floor buses (ノンステップ車両) on bus routes in Sendai City will accelerate in the second half of 2013, with private operator Miyagi Kōtsū (宮城交通) introducing 10 new buses in December, followed by an additional 10 buses a year to replace older vehicles. Sendai City’s municipal bus system will also continue its rollout plan of 30 buses per year, making it easier for an aging population to take advantage of the city’s buses.

These two bus operators operate most of the bus services in the urbanized areas of Sendai City, but unlike Tōkyō and other areas, where stricter emissions standards have necessitated the purchase of new buses, the rollout of low-floor buses in Miyagi Prefecture has been slow. Of the 274 public transit buses in Miyagi Kōtsū’s fleet (as of March 2013), only 21 (8%) are low-floor, with eleven being purchased secondhand from other companies and only 10 being all-new purchases. But the company now hopes to increase that share to 20% by FY2016 thanks to an improvement in the company’s fiscal situation that allows them to spend more money on fleet upgrades. Their older buses are also approaching the end of their life cycles, and with an optimized production line for low-floor vehicles now in place at bus manufacturers, the company decided to accelerate its rollout of low-floor buses.

The Sendai City Transportation Bureau, which operates the municipal bus services, has a fleet of 520 transit buses (as of April 2012), of which 130 (about a quarter) are low-floor buses. They will continue their original plan that called for introducing about 30 new low-floor buses a year.

fieldsofdreams, Highcliff liked this post
Old July 5th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #5740
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Low-floor buses making headway in Sendai
仙台の路線バス、低床化加速 高齢者らの利用促す

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A700C1L01000/

The rate of introduction of low-floor buses (ノンステップ車両) on bus routes in Sendai City will accelerate in the second half of 2013, with private operator Miyagi Kōtsū (宮城交通) introducing 10 new buses in December, followed by an additional 10 buses a year to replace older vehicles. Sendai City’s municipal bus system will also continue its rollout plan of 30 buses per year, making it easier for an aging population to take advantage of the city’s buses.

These two bus operators operate most of the bus services in the urbanized areas of Sendai City, but unlike Tōkyō and other areas, where stricter emissions standards have necessitated the purchase of new buses, the rollout of low-floor buses in Miyagi Prefecture has been slow. Of the 274 public transit buses in Miyagi Kōtsū’s fleet (as of March 2013), only 21 (8%) are low-floor, with eleven being purchased secondhand from other companies and only 10 being all-new purchases. But the company now hopes to increase that share to 20% by FY2016 thanks to an improvement in the company’s fiscal situation that allows them to spend more money on fleet upgrades. Their older buses are also approaching the end of their life cycles, and with an optimized production line for low-floor vehicles now in place at bus manufacturers, the company decided to accelerate its rollout of low-floor buses.

The Sendai City Transportation Bureau, which operates the municipal bus services, has a fleet of 520 transit buses (as of April 2012), of which 130 (about a quarter) are low-floor buses. They will continue their original plan that called for introducing about 30 new low-floor buses a year.

That's pretty interesting... I wonder how many of Sendai's buses are high-floored compared to the low-floor buses in place? And, is Sendai looking forward to a goal of converting its remaining high-floor buses with all low-floor (if not ultra low-floor) buses, or will there be high-floored buses still rolling around city streets to serve the hilly neighborhoods? And by the way, what's the emissions standard for such low-floor buses?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Highcliff liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote