daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2013, 08:59 PM   #5801
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

Those long-distance local services seem to be really interesting indeed, especially the ones from Hokkaido where a train ride could be the equivalent of a hard day at work. Perhaps a reason why I would take the rapid services more often than the local (stopping) version... Yet, it'd be interesting to see all those stops along the way!

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:49 PM   #5802
Murakamisenior
Spain and Japan Forever!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
OMG, she's beautiful.....
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:54 PM   #5803
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

Please keep the thread to topic. This is not a "hot girl" thread.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:02 AM   #5804
Murakamisenior
Spain and Japan Forever!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Please keep the thread to topic. This is not a "hot girl" thread.
Ok, sorry for that.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:08 AM   #5805
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Those long-distance local services seem to be really interesting indeed, especially the ones from Hokkaido where a train ride could be the equivalent of a hard day at work. Perhaps a reason why I would take the rapid services more often than the local (stopping) version... Yet, it'd be interesting to see all those stops along the way!
In this context, "local train" (普通電車) just means a train where you only have to pay based on the distance you travel, as opposed to a limited express or Shinkansen where you have to pay additional surcharges. Both the shin-kaisoku and Shōnan‒Shinjuku Line are actually "rapid" / "express" / "fast" services, so they skip plenty of stops. In fact, shin-kaisoku have a top speed of 130 km/h and do about 80 km/h average end-to-end on the 200 km stretch between Maibara and Himeji, a distance that would normally be strictly the purview of a high-speed intercity line (the parallel Tōkaidō / San'yō Shinkansen has six stations on this stretch). The Shōnan‒Shinjuku Line is noticeably slower (55-60 km/h) for various reasons, but still a lot faster than taking the corresponding all-stop services.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:31 AM   #5806
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quashlo brought an interesting point that I'd like to add to. Though the kaisoku (rapid) services skip many stops and are often quite fast, they still fall under the distance-based fare structure with no surcharges. So in the tariff sense they fall under the "local" category.

OTOH, some of the private railways have an additional service designation called "kaku eki teisha" or "kakutei" for short. This is used notably in cases where a railway has a four track main- the "locals" may skip some of the (especially) inner city stations, while the "kakutei" will stop at every station. However, in most cases, the railways have simply replaced the "local" service designator with "kakutei", perhaps because its meaning is more explicit ("stopping at every station").
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:40 AM   #5807
quashlo

Reminds me of the incredibly confusing setup on the Jōban Rapid Line where the inner-suburban trains (going as far as Toride) are called "rapids" (kaisoku 快速) while the outer suburban trains (going past Toride to Tsuchiura, Mito, Katsuta, and Takahagi) are called "locals" (futsū 普通), even though the latter make all the same stops as the former between Ueno and Toride and are technically the "superior" service. The "all-stop" locals (kakutei 各停) use a separate pair of tracks between Ueno and Toride. When I first started getting into Japanese rail, I had an incredibly difficult time wrapping my head around it.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:51 PM   #5808
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

While using a Seishun 18 ticket from Hiroshima to Wakkanai about 9 or 10 years ago I was absolutely startled that such a good and fast service, shin-kaisoku, with such new and comfortable rolling stock, was available to me. So much so that (fearing getting caught for breaking the rules and getting fined, or arrested or something) I asked a conductor if it really was OK to ride.

That was definitely the most pleasantly fast (快速!) stretch of the trip. I took an overnight train on the way back, which probably was faster, but it wasn't very pleasant since they had the heater set to "SCORCHING HOT" and it must have been stuck on, since they couldn't figure out how to turn it down.

This was the trip and probably the service that got me interested in Japanese rail systems.

I leave you with an odd yet tranist-related photo from that trip. This is from the bus system in Wakkanai. Notice the advertisement on the bus: "BUY CAR NICE BEAVER."

Last edited by orulz; July 22nd, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:00 PM   #5809
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

On the lighter and funnier side of things:
What seems to be going on here?

Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:22 PM   #5810
k.k.jetcar

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comment..._train_car_in/

news reports:
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/affairs/new...1200012-n1.htm

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...209831000.html

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; July 22nd, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:24 PM   #5811
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

I would have thought that activity just squeeze her more.

Nice that it turned out good.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:53 PM   #5812
quashlo

Thankfully she just fell while getting off... When I first saw the photo, I thought it might have been something far worse, like she jumped and then somehow ended up wedged in between the train and platform.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:07 PM   #5813
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Wonder how much more difficult this would have been with platform doors?
It might be one of the drawbacks to have them, or do they extend the platform so the gap would be narrower?

Thankfully it seems like it all went OK, so that's a good thing. Great to see that people are working together so quickly after such an event.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #5814
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
While using a Seishun 18 ticket from Hiroshima to Wakkanai about 9 or 10 years ago
What route did you take? I assume Tōkaidō Main Line + Tōhoku Main Line, or did you go along the Sea of Japan coast?
Old July 24th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #5815
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
What route did you take? I assume Tōkaidō Main Line + Tōhoku Main Line, or did you go along the Sea of Japan coast?
Both, actually.

I'm honestly not 100% on the exact route, but I'm pretty sure that on the way up, we went Sanyo-Tokaido-Tohoku. At the time, the Tohoku Shinkansen ended in Hachinohe, so part of the Tohoku Main line had been converted to the IGR, but from there to Aomori it was still JR.

We took a ferry from Aomori to Hakodate since the trains crossing the Seikan tunnel that are eligible for the Seishun 18 ticket are infrequent and didn't really work for our schedule. We stayed the night in a capsule hotel in Aomori, and got to the ferry somehow. I think we hitchhiked from the ferry landing in Hakodate to the station.

On the way back I think we took a route through Akita and Niigata, including one of the venerable "Moonlight" trains, between Niigata and Tokyo. That was our only overnight train by my recollection; most of our travel was by day and required a transfer about every 2-4 hours.

Last edited by orulz; July 24th, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #5816
quashlo

Fate of Imazato-suji Line extension to be determined before privatization
大阪市営地下鉄:今里筋線、民営化前に延伸判断へ

http://mainichi.jp/select/news/20130...10227000c.html

The fate of the proposed extension of the Ōsaka Municipal Subway Imazato-suji Line, a topic of debate that has been dragging on across multiple sessions of the Ōsaka City Council, will be determined by the city before it carries out privatization of the subway system. Up until now, Ōsaka City mayor Hashimoto Tōru has indicated that he would leave the decision about the extension up to the new private company taking over the subway, but in order to receive the needed two-thirds majority for the privatization, he’s changed his heart a bit. In September, the city will propose a motion to establish a working group to discuss the proposed extension in more detail, with a decision being made on the project as early as before the close of this fiscal year.

The Imazato-suji Line is the newest line in the network, opening in 2006 between Itakano (井高野) and Imazato (今里). It also happens to be the lowest-ridership line in the system, and the city had initially shelved the proposed 6.7 km extension from Imazato to Yuzato 6-chōme (湯里六丁目). The City Council has been lobbying to move the project forward, and several councilmembers have indicated they would oppose privatization if the extension was not guaranteed.

===

I originally thought this was about a northern extension from Itakano, as I remember they were discussing that a few years ago... Didn’t even know they had an extension at the southern end on the table.
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #5817
quashlo

Studies begin for new station on Hokuriku Main Line in Hakusan City
白山の在来線新駅概略調査 市がJR関連会社に委託

http://www.hokkoku.co.jp/subpage/H20130724103.htm

This is a new station on the Hokuriku Main Line planned for a location adjacent to the future Hakusan Depot (白山総合車両基地) on the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension. Hakusan City has enlisted a JR West subsidiary as consultant to perform the needed studies, including platform layout, station plaza size, roadway access, and ridership forecasts, as well as engineering considerations related to the proximity to the Shinkansen viaduct and the future Shinkansen depot. The city will also begin work soon on land readjustment for a 13 ha area surrounding the future station, and the ridership forecasts will consider population growth as a result of nearby development.

The new station is planned for a location in Kita-Yasutamachi (北安田町) in Hakusan City, approx. 2 km from Mattō Station (松任駅) and 2.4 km from Kaga Kasama Station (加賀笠間駅), at the intersection of the Hokuriku Main Line with the the Suematsu–Tokumitsu Road (末松徳光線). The station will be built as a petition station, with 100% of the funding to be provided by the local government, in this case Hakusan City.

Originally, the city had been hoping to have Shinkansen trains also stop at the station (“Hakusan Station”), but they eventually shelved the idea given that it would only be a limited number of trains, instead pushing to build a new Shinkansen station near Kaga Kasama.

===

Both Mattō and Kaga Kasama are fairly small stations (3,000 and 1,500 daily boardings each), but there is quite a bit of undeveloped land in between. If you look at Google Map aerials, you can actually see a huge suburban subdivision approximately due north of where this new station would be.
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #5818
quashlo

Kōnan Railway rescinds proposal to abandon Ōwani Line
大鰐線廃止方針を撤回 自治体と存続協議 弘南鉄道

http://www.kahoku.co.jp/news/2013/07/20130723t25005.htm

On 2013.07.22, Kōnan Railway (弘南鉄道) announced that it has rescinded its proposal to abandon the 13.9 km Ōwani Line linking Hirosaki City and Ōwani Town in Aomori Prefecture, and will instead begin discussions with local governments on how to ensure the line remains in service.

The railway president met with mayors from Hirosaki and Ōwani indicated that he would seek to avoid public funding, saying the railway didn’t want to be bound by various legal requirements regarding employee compensation, etc. However, they would at least need to maintain FY2012 ridership levels as a prerequisite for continuing operation of the line. If ridership levels can’t be maintained in the next year or so, the railway will consider abandoning the line again. The line saw a peak of 3,898,000 annual passengers in 1974, but that has dropped to a mere 575,000 passengers in FY2012.

===

Good news, but the situation is still pretty bleak … Only about 1,600 riders a day. If the cities want to keep the service, they need to start helping to fund it.
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #5819
quashlo

Some more pictures of the Mansebashi work:
http://response.jp/article/2013/07/24/202815.html

In front of us is the active inbound track for the Chūō Rapid Line, while behind that are the former pocket tracks for long-distance trains.

The new observation area reuses the former platforms for the short-distance trains at Manseibashi Station

From underneath:

From the Kanda River side:

fieldsofdreams, geometarkv liked this post
Old July 25th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #5820
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Only about 1,600 riders a day. If the cities want to keep the service, they need to start helping to fund it.
And local residents ride it, rather than buying another car.