daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #5901
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Contract to construct Kiba Station improvements put out to bid
WTO一般入札を公告/開削で木場駅改良/東京地下鉄

http://www.kensetsunews.com/?p=18146

On 2013.08.08, Tōkyō Metro launched the competitive bidding process for the civil works contract to construct improvements at Kiba Station on the Tōzai Line in Kiba 5-chōme, Kōtō Ward. The work involves excavating down to the underground station and removing portions of the existing shield tunnel walls without disrupting train service on the most crowded private railway line in Japan. The contract will be awarded on a comprehensive bid ranking system, with potential for value engineering after the contract is awarded. Requests to be considered will be accepted until 2013.09.19, with bids to be submitted by 2013.09.19.

In particular, the work is cut-and-cover work on an existing, in-service rail line approx. 20 m below ground surface, and one of the bid requirements is experience removing segments of shield tunnel walls (five-meter diameter or larger) on an urban railway line, as well as excavation work for urban railway lines at a depth of 20 m or more. Specifically, the excavated dimensions are 22.2 m (width) × 26 m (depth) × 68.5 m (length). Construction will take place over 90 months and require approx. 7,400 cubic meters of concrete.
[/quote]

If you remember, this project is a fairly interesting one, as it involves cutting into the walls of an existing bored station to create a whole new platform and track for the inbound direction, with an estimated pricetag of ¥20 billion. This will allow inbound trains to simultaneously arrive and depart the station during the morning rush hour, improving on-time performance and schedule recovery. Work will be completed by FY2020.

Sketch of the completed track layout from Tōkyō Metro’s mid-range business plan:

Svartmetall, pudgym29 liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #5902
quashlo

With JR East banging out one new E233 series after another and plenty more to come, there has been quite a bit of Internet talk about the fate of the 205 series on the Saikyō Line, but it looks like there is no need to wonder:
http://www.krl.co.id/Procurement/ann...ries-2013.html

According to the bid document, they will be taking in 18 full-length (10-car) sets for 180 cars total, so it seems like the six-door cars will remain.

Walking through a 205 series 6-door car on the Saikyō Line:

Saikyō Line morning rush hour at Akabane Station (2013.07.20). Won’t be long before it’s all E233 series.

Trains in order:
7:48 Local for Shinjuku from Musashi Urawa (E233 series)
7:52 Local for Shin-Kiba from Ōmiya
7:55 Local for Shinjuku from Sashiōgi on the Kawagoe Line (E233 series)
7:58 Local for Shin-Kiba from Ōmiya
8:01 Commuter rapid for Shin-Kiba from Kawagoe on the Kawagoe Line
8:05 Local for Shinjuku from Musashi Urawa
8:09 Local for Shin-Kiba from Sashiōgi on the Kawagoe Line

The same, at Itabashi:
8:21 Commuter rapid for Shin-Kiba from Kawagoe on the Kawagoe Line
8:25 Local for Shinjuku from Musashi Urawa (E233 series)
8:28 Local for Shin-Kiba from Sashiōgi on the Kawagoe Line
8:32 Local for Shinjuku from Musashi Urawa (Rinkai Line 70-000 series)
8:35 Commuter rapid for Shin-Kiba from Kawagoe on the Kawagoe Line
8:38 Local for Shinjuku from Ōmiya (E233 series)
8:41 Local for Shin-Kiba from Akabane

Old August 16th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #5903
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Would anybody happen to have timetables for Wide View Tokai and Moonlight Nagara?

My google-fu is failing me.
The Tokai was discontinued in 2007. The moonlight Nagara ceased being a regularly scheduled service in 2009 and now runs only during holiday periods as.a rinji ressha.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #5904
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
The Tokai was discontinued in 2007. The moonlight Nagara ceased being a regularly scheduled service in 2009 and now runs only during holiday periods as.a rinji ressha.
What does rinji ressha mean?

Also, I'm well aware of the fact that they were discontinued. I was hoping to find timetables from when they WERE running.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #5905
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14459

On those videos, platform officers show interesting hand signs when train departures.
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #5906
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Why must train guards leave their rear cabs to operate musical chimes on the platform? What must platform guards' hand signals toward departing trains accomplish?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #5907
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 464

there are no remote buttons to operate the chimes on that line (or any JR line I know of; only the one man operations of subway and private lines have the equipment to do so in my experience… )

The signals given are showing that the conductor is actively paying attention to platform gaps, passengers, and train stopping locations.

Sent from my SC-04E using Tapatalk 4
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #5908
trainrover

What do the showings and chimings accomplish?
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #5909
quashlo

The chimes (発車メロディ) are just helpful reminders to passengers that the train will be departing soon, so it's sort of a gauge of how much time they have left to board... For passengers approaching the platform but still on the stairs or escalator, it also lets them know if they need to hurry up a bit or not.

There is some overlap between what the conductors check and what the platform staff check, but it's almost all safety- and service-oriented.
  • Like starrwulfe said, the conductor checks the stopping location right as the train stops to make sure that the train operator hasn't overrun the platform and has stopped at the proper location (the stopping locations may be optimized to minimize walking distance or platform crowding, and certain train types, like limited expresses, may need to stop at certain parts of the platform because that's where passengers will be waiting for the train... Same deal if you've got 10-car (200 m) trains stopping on a 15-car (300 m) platform, for example).
  • When the doors close, the platform staff check that the door he or she is responsible for has closed properly.
  • Then the conductor checks the door lights above the doors to make sure they are all off (indicating all doors are closed), as well as visual inspection down the platform to check for trapped passengers and / or waiting for a visual cue from the lead platform staff that the train is safe to depart. The last is especially important if you've got curved platforms, where you can't actually see anything, or if it's dark, in which case your lead platform staff has a flashlight in hand to cue the conductor.
  • When the train departs, the platform staff does some final checks that there are no trapped passengers in the door or platform gaps. He or she also does visual checks of the train's rear signage (destination, stopping pattern, train length, etc.)... I don't think this is really an issue on this particular line at this particular station, but there are many situations where a train type or destination may need to change at a station, they need to couple / decouple cars, etc.

kyah117, pudgym29, bill937ca liked this post
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #5910
trainrover

Thank you.
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #5911
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

speaking of station noises.
I have always wondered what the slow "ding dong" chimes that sounds every few seconds in large stations in Japan mean? Are the some kind of time related thing, since they chime pretty regularly, or something completely different?
If you don't know what I'm talking about then I can always find a youtube clip with them in them, but I'm pretty sure that everyone that have been on trains in Japan have heard these.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #5912
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

I think this video is nice. It shows some of what quashlo said in practice on Yamanote Line.

bill937ca liked this post
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #5913
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

What's interesting in the video is how the workers on the platform literally have to carefully squeeze everyone into the 205 Series train, which that almost never done with the E233 Series train or the Tokyo Waterfront Rapid Transit trains.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 04:48 AM   #5914
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by loefet View Post
speaking of station noises.
I have always wondered what the slow "ding dong" chimes that sounds every few seconds in large stations in Japan mean?
It's for passengers with visual impairments. The speakers are usually placed near the faregates so that passengers know they've reached the faregates.

I'm sure most of us have probably heard the chirping birds, too, which perform a similar function. Those speakers are placed near the vertical circulation facilities (stairwells, etc.):

loefet, Northridge liked this post
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #5915
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
What's interesting in the video is how the workers on the platform literally have to carefully squeeze everyone into the 205 Series train, which that almost never done with the E233 Series train or the Tokyo Waterfront Rapid Transit trains.
Yeah, the wider body of the E233 seems like such a simple improvement, but it's quite effective... Just a bit more space, particularly above the knees, where it matters the most for people standing near the doors.

Car 1 on the Saikyō Line is always the worst (those videos at Akabane and Itabashi are actually Car 1), since it's closest to the stairwells from platform level at basically all the important stations (Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shibuya)... In fact, late night can be just as bad, if not worse than morning rush hour. This is Car 1 during the 23:00 hour at Shinjuku... You can see the platform staff and all the PA announcements trying to get people to move down the platform to the less crowded (but still really crowded) cars.

Old August 18th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #5916
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
What does rinji ressha mean?

Also, I'm well aware of the fact that they were discontinued. I was hoping to find timetables from when they WERE running.
Precise, specific queries receive like responses.

Schedule for Moonlight Nagara:
「ムーンライトながら」の2013年時刻表と運転日

【時刻表】
東京23:10→名古屋5:21→大垣5:51
大垣22:49→名古屋23:20→東京5:05

【2013年夏・運転日】
東京発 23:10  7/26-8/24運行
大垣発 22:49  7/27-8/25運行
*Tokyo departure 23:10 Ogaki Arrival 5:51
Ogaki departure 22:49 Tokyo arrival 5:05

http://seisyun.tabiris.com/urawaza01.html

Schedule for Express Tokai in early 1990's:
http://w01.tp1.jp/~a073009361/JIKOKU/exp92/tokai.htm
*there were 4 services then.

*rinji ressha means a seasonal or special service

pudgym29 liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #5917
trainrover

Quote:
Wow...non-driving cars with six doors each side.
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #5918
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
It's for passengers with visual impairments. The speakers are usually placed near the faregates so that passengers know they've reached the faregates.

I'm sure most of us have probably heard the chirping birds, too, which perform a similar function. Those speakers are placed near the vertical circulation facilities (stairwells, etc.):
Thanks a lot for the reply, you really do learn something new each day
I can't say that I recall that chirping sound, maybe I thought it was bird's at the time when I was there, just because it sounds so similar. It's still a clever way of helping people to get to the right place.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #5919
quashlo

Kumamoto banks to begin issuing SUGOCA-compatible credit cards
カードにIC乗車券機能も 熊本銀行、来月発行

http://kumanichi.com/news/local/main/20130816003.shtml

Three banks in the Fukuoka Financial Group (FFG) (ふくおかフィナンシャルグループ)—Kumamoto Bank (熊本銀行), Fukuoka Bank (福岡銀行), and Shinwa Bank (親和銀行)—will begin issuing new Arecore (アレコレ) credit cards compatible with SUGOCA, JR Kyūshū’s IC farecard system, starting in September. This will be the first joint IC farecard and bank-issued cash card project in Kumamoto Prefecture.

JR Kyūshū rolled out SUGOCA to major stations in Kumamoto Prefecture in December of last year, and with plans underway to introduce a local IC card system for Kumamoto’s trams, trains, and buses in FY2014 designed to be compatible with SUGOCA and other nationwide cards, Kumamoto Bank hopes to attract new customers.

The combined card allows customers to withdraw and deposit cash at ATMs and pay for transit fares on trains and buses operated by JR Kyūshū and 147 other transit operators natioinwide. The card also comes with credit card (VISA network) and e-money functionality, and the SUGOCA card can be tied to a bank account to allow for auto-charging once the card’s balance drops below a minimum value.

Old August 19th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #5920
quashlo

New digital information displays coming to Kyōto Station North Exit bus terminal
バス案内板 デジタル化 京都駅北口ターミナル、来年3月設置

http://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/politics/a...20130817000061

By March of next year, Kyōto City will install new large-screen digital information displays at the North Exit bus terminal at Kyōto Station (Shimogyō Ward, Kyōto City) to improve wayfinding for tourists and locals alike. The displays will allow passengers to confirm bus schedules and boarding locations in one glance, improving the convenience of the rail gateway to the ancient capital.

A total of six bus operators including the Keihan Bus and the municipal bus system currently use the terminal, which serves 50,000 passengers daily. The current information displays at the terminal were installed in 1999, and while each displays boarding locations and a route map, they do not allow passengers to quickly confirm where and when buses will depart at the terminal. But with bus schedule and service changes in March, the city will make use of grant money from the national government and replace the displays with large-screen digital versions that improves passenger information.

A new “master” display unit will be installed at the boarding location near the central faregates at the JR station, providing departure schedules and wayfinding assistance for all 19 bays at the terminal. The software will also be programmed with English, Korean, and Chinese to assist foreign tourists. Smaller digital displays will be placed at each bay, providing information on bus schedules and estimated arrival times. The total cost of the project is approx. ¥103 million.

===

Scenes at the North Exit bus terminal:

Svartmetall liked this post