daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #6041
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11245

Yes, it was too! I just glanced through its history, and indeed, it was also built to coincide with the 1964 Olympics too. Thank you for pointing that out... and next year, since you brought it up, will be the 50th year of Tokyo Monorail's operations! Wow, it's just like it happened yesterday indeed...

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #6042
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

I just realized that I had no idea where the events might be held or the impact on transport, so a quick search found this:

https://tokyo2020.jp/en/plan/venue/

It would seem that many of the events will be held on land that didn't exist in 1964...

I suspect there's a massive transport plan out there somewhere, haven't stumbled on it just yet.

pudgym29 liked this post
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #6043
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

Quote:
There really is a lot of talk about abandonment of railway lines. This isn't speeding up is it as a response to the shrinking population?
That's something I wonder too. There are also a lot of new expressways and Shinkansen extensions opening these days, certainly that has something to do with it?

Also what about freight? In the US or Russia there are a lot of rural branch lines which still have profitable freight service, serving things like quarries and building supply yards. I guess those things are a legacy of the past and can't be recreated.

It's funny, a country with a similar rail network to Japan would be the UK, in that there are a ton of secondary and rural lines with DMU's stopping in villages. But because the government maintains the track infrastructure they hang around?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; September 8th, 2013 at 10:24 PM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #6044
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Based on the venue plan, the only central-city venues without good rail access are #18, #19, #20, and #21, located on Wakasu (若洲) and the Umi no Mori (海の森) area at the western approach of the Tōkyō Gate Bridge, but I think some good bus service and maybe some ferries would be sufficient, since these are not big venues.

I think in terms of actual improvements, I think we can potentially expect the following projects to be accelerated now:
  • Yūrakuchō Line extension (branch) to Sumiyoshi
  • Asakusa Line bypass
One simple improvement (no new infrastructure required) is through-service between the Keiyō Line and Rinkai Line… The reason this isn’t done now is mostly related to fare structures and JR not wanting responsibility for the unpaid construction debt of the Rinkai Line. In light of the special nature and scale of the Olympics, though, this seems like a comparatively simple problem for which a temporary solution (such as a temporary track-sharing agreement between JR and TWR) could likely be devised.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they decide to move forward with the Yurikamome extension to Harumi as I believe they already have the basic approvals, just that they have to decide to move forward with it. The other project we hadn’t heard about recently is the light rail being proposed by Chūō Ward to connect Ginza with Harumi, which may get a renewed significance as a means to get people between Ginza / Yūrakuchō / Marunouchi area and the Odaiba area.

Seven years is a lot of time, but at the same time, it isn’t. Construction usually takes about 4 years, so if they would want to move on any new project, they would basically need to get started now in order to secure enough time for the environmental, planning approvals, and land acquisition.

pudgym29 liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #6045
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
In 1964, when Tokyo hosted its first Olympics, the innovation brought up at the time was the Shinkansen bullet train that shortened rail journeys between Tokyo and Osaka from 6 to 4 hours (now at around 3 or 2.5).

In 2020, I wonder what Japan will bring up as its latest innovation... will it again be focusing on transportation, or will it be something else? I hope it will be a new generation train...
Maglev.

Abbendymion liked this post
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #6046
quashlo

Kinki Sharyō to move U.S. headquarters to El Segundo

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/new...rs-el-segundo/

Quote:
Kinkisharyo International Inc., which plans to open a Palmdale factory to build light rail cars, is moving its U.S. headquarters to El Segundo from Masssachusetts, according to a Friday news report.

The company, a subsidiary of Kinki Sharyo Co., Ltd., of Osaka, Japan., began moving this summer into a 5,000-square-foot space in the South Bay city from Westwood, Mass., where it has had its U.S. headquarters since 1985, according to the report in the Torrance Daily Breeze.

The move follows a decision in July by the L.A. County Metropolitan Transportation Authority to exercise two options on an earlier contract with Kinkisharyo. The options, valued at $397 million, call for Kinksharyo to build 97 new light rail vehicles for the Crenshaw/LAX Line and to replace older Metro cars.

Kinkisharyo traditionally performs final assembly of rail cars in the United States near where it delivers cars – including to systems in Boston, Dallas and San Jose– but Kinkisharyo International President Teiji Tani said the size of the L.A. order means the company will do more extensive work at the Palmdale factory.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #6047
quashlo

Nippon Kōei selected as design consultant for Dhaka Metro
http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.co...8xXzE4MjYzNw==

Quote:
The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) has given its concurrence to a Japanese company to work as design consultant of the metro rail project in Bangladesh paving the way for making a detailed design of the country's first mass rapid transport.

Sources said the JICA on Thursday approved the selection by the technical committee of the special project office under the Dhaka Transport Coordination Authority (DTCA) ranking the Nippon Koei Company Limited of Japan as technically top.

The technical committee comprising members of the DTCA, the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology etc selected three companies including the Nippon Koei Co Ltd and Oriental from among seven interested firms for the US$ 2.97 billion MRT (mass rapid transit) project.

Officials said with the concurrence, the financial offer of the selected company will be opened up for negotiation.

The DTCA opened the expression of interest (EoI) of the MRT line-6 to be set up from Uttara to Motijheel in May 2012 on which seven international firms competed.

The selection of the design consultant was vital for the MRT project as it will carry major works of the project including detailed design, construction supervision work, procurement support and management of the MRT project known as Dhaka Mass Rapid Transit Development (DMRTD) project.

In the company website, the Nippon Koei has been mentioned as Japan's top international engineering consultants having experience of working in over 3,000 multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects in 135 countries all over the world in the last 60 years. It provides engineering solutions by planning, designing and supervising construction of infrastructure projects in the fields of energy, transportation, resources, urban and public sector development.

Sources said the Nippon Koei also worked as consultant in the Delhi MRT. The government took the initiative to set up the MRT line-6 in 2009 and completed feasibility study with the technical assistance of the JICA finalising the 20 kilometre route in 2011.

JICA also committed to funding $ 2.1 billion including $ 116.32 million for the DMRTD project for three consultancy services as part of the Japanese government's commitment to the project.

Under the project, design consultant, Institutional development consultant and resettlement consultant would be appointed to carry out different sides of the project.

According to the JICA, the single line metro rail to be set up through elevated way on the Uttara-Motijheel corridor will help 400,000 commuters to travel one way in 36 minutes.
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #6048
quashlo

Okinawa bus, monorail operators agree to joint IC farecard system
バス・モノレール共通IC乗車券導入で合意

http://article.okinawatimes.co.jp/ar...13-09-07_53800

A special committee comprised of representatives from Okinawa Prefecture, Okinawa Urban Monorail (Yui Rail), and four Okinawa bus operators has agreed to introduce a shared IC farecard system in FY2014. The system will be a local-only system, and will not feature compatibility with the existing nationwide systems. The committee is now working out the details to establish a company to operate the system, to be funded by the transit operators.

The system will be a prepaid system, and feature three types: card, key holder, and mobile phone (i.e., loaded onto smartphone). The system will be designed to allow passengers to recharge their cards inside buses or at monorail TVMs, and the card and mobile phone versions will also feature commuter pass functionality. Customer information will be managed by the operating company, and customers will be able to request reissuance of a card if the original is lost. The system will feature Okinawa themes such as shisa key holder cards to attract tourists.

The system will also feature a reward points system, with an online service to allow passengers to check their card’s balance. A feature to allow for e-money transactions at retail facilities will also be rolled out in late March 2015, although it’s uncertain how much existing special fare programs such as one-day passes and senior discounts will be carried over into the new IC farecard system.

===

Not including the nationwide interoperability seems like a huge mistake, especially if they want to target tourists, but I’m hopeful that they will add it in the future.

A ride inside a Yui Rail work car (2013.08)::

Old September 9th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #6049
quashlo

Kumamoto City to establish special bus priority lanes for trial express bus program
車線変更や迂回呼び掛け 急行バス実験で熊本市

http://kumanichi.com/news/local/main/20130908002.shtml

As part of a trial project to operate hub-and-spoke express bus service linking the Kumamoto Transit Center (熊本交通センター) and the Jōnan (城南) district of the city scheduled to begin in late January next year, Kumamoto City is working on establishing special bus lanes for the service. The project would operate about 10 trips between 6:00 am and 9:00 am for a one-month period on a trunk service connecting a transit hub in Kashimachō (嘉島町) with the Kumamoto Transit Center in 30 minutes. Spoke bus routes would then fan out from the Kashimachō transit hub, feeding the trunk express service into the city.

The express buses would avoid the bus-heavy, two-lane Kumamoto–Hama Route (熊本浜線) (one lane in each direction) and instead travel on the four-lane National Route 266 Hama Route Bypass (浜線バイパス) (two lanes in each direction). Due to chronic traffic congestion on this route, however, the city will establish special priority bus lanes from the Tainoshima (田井島) intersection in Minami Ward to the Hachiōji Overpass (八王寺陸橋). The lanes would not be exclusively for buses, but drivers will be asked to yield to buses approaching from behind and will be encouraged to switch to alternate routes such as Heisei Ōdōri (平成大通り). For cars attempting to make right turns, drivers in the opposing direction will also be asked to yield to the turning vehicle when buses are approaching from behind it. This type of system has proven some effectiveness in Nara City and Hiroshima City.

Old September 9th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #6050
quashlo

Working group proposes converting land in JR Ōita Station elevation project to open space
JR大分駅付近線路跡地「公園に」 検討協が県に提案へ

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/oit...OYT8T01522.htm

In regards to the proposed reuse of land freed up after the grade-separation (elevation) of the tracks surrounding JR Ōita Station, a special working group established by Ōita Prefecture has finalized a report summarizing its recommendations. The proposal calls for converting the land into parks and open space, and creating a distinctive character for each of the blocks.

The land in question stretches about 2 km east-west from the station, and is about 6 to 18 m wide. About five blocks will be created in 1,200 m on the west side of the station by reconnecting roads on either side of the tracks, with another two blocks in the 800 m on the east side. In particular, the westernmost edge of the site will be developed as a “learning” zone, a quiet space coordinated with the Ōita Prefectural Library. The easternmost edge will be developed as a “historical education” zone due to its proximity to the Ōtomo Building site (大友氏館跡), with the remaining blocks focused on arts, sports, urban activity, and cultural exchange, designed to encourage café, flea market, and other retail uses to the extent possible.

====

If you remember, they are also doing work on the new station tenant building at the station, which is hoped will contribute to the revitalization of the downtown. Recent view at the North Exit (2013.08.27):

geometarkv liked this post
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #6051
quashlo

Fukaya City proposes new outlet mall, Chichibu Railway station near Hanazono IC
花園IC付近に巨大モール 深谷市が構想 秩父鉄道の新駅も

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/sa...702000147.html

On 2013.09.06, Fukaya City announced plans to construct a large outlet mall and new station on the Chichibu Railway near the Hanazono Interchange (IC) on the Kan’etsu Expressway (関越自動車道). Called the Hanazono IC Hub Project (花園IC拠点整備プロジェクト), the project would develop approximately 28 ha in the city’s Kuroda (黒田) and Nagata (永田) areas northwest of the intersection of the Route 140 Bypass and the Chichibu Railway, focusing an 18 ha private-sector core development zone to house one of the Kantō Region’s largest outlet malls. The new station on the Chichibu Railway would be located between the existing Nagata and Omaeda Stations. As a petition station (請願駅), Fukaya City would be responsible for the majority of the construction costs.

Currently, most of the area is farmland, requiring the city to take the lead to lease the land from property owners to construct ¥3.6 billion in basic infrastructure improvements such as roads and station facilities. The plan was announced to the City Council by the mayor two years ago, and work has since focused on detailed development of the project. The city will now enter into discussions with the national and prefectural governments starting next month, simultaneously beginning negotiations with the approx. 90 property owners. The city has already received some positive response from six other local governments in the area, including Chichibu City.

If negotiations and legal requirements proceed at a timely pace, the station could open as early as spring 2016, with the outlet mall and other core facilities opening in spring 2018. Annual visitors are expected to reach 6.5 million.

Old September 9th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #6052
quashlo

Upgrades coming to Kandatsu Station on Jōban Line
JR常磐線神立駅:橋上化へ 土浦市、JRなどと共同で

http://mainichi.jp/area/ibaraki/news...10143000c.html

On 2013.09.06, Tsuchiura City announced that it would carry out upgrades to Kandatsu Station (Kandatsu Chūō 1-chōme, Tsuchiura City) on the JR Jōban Line, including construction of a platform bridge and elevated concourse. The project will be executed in coordination with Kasumigaura City and JR East, and will include a public passage that will allow non-passengers to freely get through the station without having to cross the JR tracks. Opening is scheduled for FY2018.

According to the plan, the new station building will be designed with a roof reminiscent of sailboats on Kasumigaura (霞ケ浦), and feature a 40 m long, 6 m wide public passage. To provide 100% accessibility, 20-pasenger elevators would be installed inside the public passage, with 11-passenger elevators connecting down to platform level. Detailed design will take place in FY2014, with construction taking place in FY2015 through FY2017.

According to Tsuchiura City, the total project cost is approx. ¥2 billion, with about ¥1 billion covered by the national government and ¥100 million by JR. The rest will be covered by Tsuchiura City (approx. ¥630 million) and Kasumigaura City (approx. ¥270 million). In addition, the two cities will cooperate on a land readjustment project at the station. The total cost for both the station upgrades and land readjustment project is approx. ¥10 billion.
Old September 10th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #6053
quashlo

TMG considering roadway restrictions into Central Tōkyō during Olympics
都心への車流入抑制検討=渋滞緩和が課題-東京都

http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=spo_30&k=2013090800025

Travel demand from domestic and foreign spectators and staff during the 2020 Summer Olimpics is estimated to reach approx. 10.10 million, peaking at about 920,000 a day. Faced with the prospect of increased traffic congestion and potential after-effects to the economic activity and the daily lives of Greater Tōkyō’s residents, the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government (TMG) and the Tōkyō 2020 Bid Committee (東京招致委員会) are considering a variety of transportation demand management measures to be implemented during the games.

In particular, the metropolis already has a well-developed railway and expressway network, as well as two airports in Haneda and Narita. As a result, the TMG does not see specific need to build new roads or rail lines expressly for the games, instead taking advantage of the existing transport infrastructure.

In order to control traffic demand, however, the TMG and others are looking to establish special “Olympic lanes” on approx. 317 km of roads connecting the Olympic Village, event venues, and the airports. These special lanes would be provided for use by Olympics-related vehicles, and in some cases would require the temporary elimination of one or more general-purpose travel lanes. As a result, the TMG would negotiate with adjacent prefectures to establish park-and-ride facilities at prefectural borders, where people headed into central Tōkyō would be encouraged to transfer to trains and shuttle bases. The TMG is also considering limiting trucks and other commercial traffic.

For the city’s waterfront zone, which would house the majority of the event venues, the TMG would operate shuttle buses to serve areas with limited public transit options.

===

Of the 33 event venues, 28 would be located within an 8 km radius of the Olympic Village in Harumi. The estimated construction budget is ¥383.1 billion, only a fraction of London’s ¥1.35 trillion for the 2012 Olympics and Beijing’s ¥ 4.48 trillion for the 2008 Olympics. The Olympic Village alone will need to house about 17,000 people on about 44 ha of land owned by the TMG, and will consist of a total of 24 towers, reaching as high as 27 stories, that will eventually be converted to condo units after the games are over.
Old September 10th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #6054
quashlo

Improvements at Saijō Station will partially debut in January
JR西条駅、14年1月利用へ

http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/News/Tn201309110014.html

The platform bridge and elevated station concourse at JR Saijō (Saijōchō, Higashi-Hiroshima City), where major renovation works are underway, will partially open for passenger use in January 2014. The ticketing hall will move from the current temporary headhouse to the second floor of the new station building. The upgrades are about half complete, and the city will also begin work on the North Exit station plaza in November.

According to Higashi-Hiroshima City and JR West’s Hiroshima office, the new 3,000 sq m station building will be a three-story steel-frame design, and will open for public use as soon as the west portions currently being worked are completed. Accessibility improvements will provide stairwells, elevators, and escalators between the second-floor ticketing hall and the platforms. After the west side opens, they will demolish the temporary headhouse and begin working on the east side of the permanent station building.

When the building partially opens for use in January, access will still be only from the South Exit. The North Exit will only open after completion of the entire station building and the north-south public passage (6 m wide) in December of next year. Several tenants, primarily restaurants, will lease space in the first and second floors of the building.

Work began in October 2011. The total cost of the new station building and public passage is ¥3.191 billion, of which the city is shouldering 85% (¥2.743 billion).

Old September 10th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #6055
quashlo

Tōkyō Monorail to introduce new 10000 series rolling stock

Official press release:
http://www.tokyo-monorail.co.jp/news...s_20130910.pdf

In an effort to improve convenience for Haneda Airport users, Tōkyō Monorail will introduce the first of its new 10000 series rolling stock in July 2014, gradually replacing the 1000 series introduced between 1989 and 1996. The monorail first opened in 1964 for the Tōkyō Olympics and will be celebrating its 50th year of service in 2014.

Designed around a “smart monorail” concept, the 10000 series draws from the current 2000 series design introduced between 1997 and 2002, and features a variety of improvements for domestic and international passengers at Haneda Airport, including baggage areas, four-language 17 in LCD screens above each door, and broadband Wi-Fi service.

New grab bars attached to seats, as well as increased legroom (about 20% compared to 1000 series) for the transverse “box-style” seats. LCDs will be provided in the lintels above each set of doors.

New baggage areas

New Japanese-themed seat moquettes

And Japanese-themed carriage doors (these will be installed for fire safety and electricity conservation)

===

Cab view on a section rapid from Haneda Airport Terminal 2 to Hamamatsuchō:

Old September 10th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #6056
quashlo

This Nikkei article has some interesting info related to the Olympics… Apparently, the busiest event days in the Ariake area are the manga magazine events (“Comic Market” コミックマーケット) and the Tōkyō Bay Fireworks Festival (東京湾大華火祭). While normal Yurikamome ridership is about 100,000 passengers a day, ridership can balloon to 250,000 on the peak event days, with wait times of an hour, even with increased service.

I would imagine the quoted “one-hour” wait time is a worst-case scenario (e.g., after conclusion of the fireworks show), while the Olympics will probably generate less peaked demand, but spread out over the course of the entire day.

I think the key will be shifting as much of the load onto the Rinkai Line (and to a lesser extent, the Yūrakuchō Line) as possible. Most of the venues will be 5-15 minutes walking distance from these stations. The Rinkai Line currently does a respectable 200,000 passengers / day on average, but the schedule isn’t anywhere close to being filled out, particularly outside of the weekday rush hours. Midday, there’s only 7 tph, only 3 of which through-service onto the Saikyō Line, compared to about 12 tph during the morning rush, all of which are through-services. They could easily fill out the midday schedule to at least morning rush hour levels (both in terms of frequency and through-service) to capture spectators and staff coming from the west side of the Yamanote Line loop (Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shibuya).

I wouldn’t be surprised if JR East crafts a special event train schedule as well… Their network is vast enough and they should have enough spare stock outside of the rush hours to do some runs like Shōnan–Shinjuku Line (via Saikyō Line) or Musashino Line (via Keiyō Line) through-services onto the Rinkai Line. The golf venue is also way out near Kasahata (笠幡) on the Kawagoe Line, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they extend Saikyō Line trains out that far.

Interesting that the article also shows the Yurikamome extension to Kachidoki. Good thing they are converting to longitudinal seating with the new 7300 series, as the current transverse layout on the 7000 series is a real pain.

fieldsofdreams, Svartmetall liked this post
Old September 10th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #6057
quashlo

Some other interesting notes…
Apparently, the candidature file also has language about combining event tickets onto IC cards, making it easy for spectators and staff to take trains and buses to get to the venues:

Quote:
チケットの統合と公共交通機関利用の無料化
現在、東京では非接触型のIC共通乗車カードが1枚あれば、都内の あらゆる鉄道やバスを利用できるシステムが整えられている。

2020年東京大会では、例えばこのICカードと観戦チケットの統合 や磁気カードなどの利用により、1枚のチケットで競技観戦と都内の公 共交通機関を利用可能とする。

また、対象とする範囲は、都内競技会場を中心としたエリアにおい
て円滑に移動できるように進めていく。
Quote:
Integrated tickets and free public transport
Currently, passengers are able to ride railways and buses throughout the extensive public transport system
of Tokyo, with a single, non-contact integrated circuit (IC) card.

For the Tokyo 2020 Games, the plan is to have one ticket capable of giving free access to public transport in Tokyo
as well as serving as a ticket to the Games competition, through integration of the IC card system and the event
tickets, and using a magnetic card system, for example. This integrated IC card ticket will provide an extremely
efficient and convenient method of travelling around all areas in Tokyo where competition venues are located.
The “free” public transport in particular seems interesting, as that represents a huge potential loss in revenue, although I imagine that some sort of arrangement may be made for TMG to refund the rail operators. They could also try and make it some sort of pass where you pay extra (beyond the price of getting into the venue) to get a discounted train fare to the venue.
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #6058
quashlo

Fukuoka City to contract out management of nine more subway stations
福岡市、地下鉄空港線9駅を民間委託へ コスト削減

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...00C13A9LX0000/

The mayor of Fukuoka City announced a plan to privatize operations of nine additional subway stations on the Fukuoka City Subway Airport Line starting next fiscal year as a means of cutting personnel-related costs and improving operating efficiencies for the city’s subway operations, which have yet to completely pay off debt amassed during construction.

Ōhori Kōen (大濠公園) and Akasaka (赤坂) Stations will be first in FY2014, followed by Tōjinmachi (唐人町) Station in FY2015. Contracting out all nine stations would eliminate about 60 personnel and save about ¥180 million in annual personnel-related costs. Meinohama (姪浜), Tenjin (天神), and Hakata (博多) Stations will continue to be directly operated by the city. Nakasu–Kawabata (中洲川端) Station has already been privatized.

At FY2012 close in March 2013, the city’s subway operations still had a cumulative loss of approx. ¥140 billion and approx. ¥300 billion in debt. Currently, all 23 stations on the Nanakuma Line and Hakozaki Line have already been contracted out to a Kyūshū Railway Company (JR Kyūshū) subsidiary. This latest news means that over 95% of operations at the 35 stations on the subway network will be privatized. The mayor hopes to privatize operations of all stations on the subway to reduce costs, although current funding programs at the national level needed to build the Nanakuma Line extension to Hakata require that the city maintain responsibility for operating at least some of the stations.
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #6059
quashlo

JR Kyūshū begins testing battery-powered trains on unelectrified lines
非電化区間に蓄電池電車、JR九州が走行試験

http://kyushu.yomiuri.co.jp/news/nat...=11&from=yolsp

On 2013.09.10, JR Kyūshū began invited the press to see tests of a new experimental battery-powered train equipped with rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. The train is expected to cut carbon dioxide emissions in half compared to the existing diesel railcars operating on its vast unelectrified network (40% of its entire network), and the railway is hoping to finalize the technology for actual use in revenue service by FY2015.

The two-car experimental trainset, a modified 817 series nicknamed the DENCHA (Duel Energy CHArge train), has been performing running tests since May, and features two batteries fitted to the underside of the cars. While stopped, the train draws power from the catenary system to recharge the batteries. The train can run for a maximum of 30 km on unelectrified track using the power stored in the batteries. The test on 2013.09.10 lasted about 40 minutes and was conducted on the Jōno (城野) – Ishiharamachi (石原町) section of the Hita–Hikosan Line.

===

NHK Kita-Kyūshū video report. The train will undergo testing on the Hita–Hikosan Line and Chikuhō Line until March of next year, and the railway hopes to eventually introduce the technology onto the Wakamatsu Line first in FY2017. About half of the railway’s fleet for unelectrified lines will need to be replaced soon.

Old September 12th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #6060
quashlo

Niiza City eyes 2020 Olympics as catalyst for Toei Ōedo Line extension
地下鉄12号・都営大江戸線:延伸、五輪特需に期待 射撃会場予定地、スムーズに移動

http://mainichi.jp/area/saitama/news...40202000c.html

A lobby group formed by Niiza City to push for the extension of Tōkyō Subway Line 12 (Toei Ōedo Line) into Saitama Prefecture is hoping that the selection of Tōkyō as the host city for the 2020 Summer Olympics will prove to be the catalyst needed to get the project moving. The Asaka Shooting Range (朝霞訓練場) inside Japan Self Defense Forces (JSDF) Camp Asaka (朝霞駐屯地) will serve as the venue for riflery events for the Games.

The plan calls for a new station in the center of Niiza City (Niiza Chūō Station新座中央駅), providing a travel time of about 35 minutes to Shinjuku. The area around the new station would be redeveloped under a land readjustment project (土地区画整理事業) and feature large gardens, residential neighborhoods, medical facilities, an evacuation area / park, and a multi-purpose community facility. A “smart interchange” would also be constructed on the nearby Kan’etsu Expressway (関越自動車道), encouraging development of a regional transportation network of park-and-rides, where drivers can park their vehicle and take the subway into central Tōkyō.

The city estimates that it would be responsible for ¥5.8 billion of the ¥35 billion needed to extend the line to Niiza Chūō Station, and is already eagerly eyeing the project, establishing a special fund for construction of the project last fiscal year, growing by ¥300 million each year. In 2000, the MLIT’s Transport Policy Council (交通政策審議会) recommended breaking ground on an extension of the Ōedo Line from its current terminus at Hikarigaoka to Ōizumi Gakuenchō Station (大泉学園町駅) in Nerima Ward, but its uncertain how the additional 2.7 km extension into Niiza City will be categorized in the next Transport Policy Council to be issued two years from now in 2015.

===

Probably not going to happen in time. I imagine they will probably just do some shuttle buses from Wakō-shi Station, although it’s not even that much of a walk.

pudgym29 liked this post