daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #6081
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I wonder has there been any talk of a complete rebuild of the Kintetsu and Meitetsu Nagoya stations. Both stations are highly constrained physically, unlike the above ground JR Central Nagoya Station, which has plentiful space for Shinkansen and local commuter/limited express trains.

Mind you, such a change may have to require demolishing the Meitetsu Department Store first, and that would make the whole idea exorbitantly expensive.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #6082
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Kaihin Makuhari Station reborn as model “ecostation”
エコステーションで再出発

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/chi...OYT8T01609.htm

Renovation work at JR Kaihin Makuhari Station on the Keiyō Line is complete, and on 2013.09.13 the station will begin its new duties as a model “eco-station”, designed to be environmentally-friendly with a variety of improvements such as solar power generation. The Perie Kaihin Makuhari retail facility outside the ticketing hall also debuted with 25 stores including restaurants and confectionaries. Together, the improvements are a major facelift for the gateway station to the Makuhari district, Chiba’s suburban subcenter.

This is the third of JR East’s “eco-stations”, following Yotsuya Station in Tōkyō Prefecture and Hiraizumi Station in Iwate Prefecture. The railway installed a series of solar panels along the platforms facing the south side (annual output of 450 kWh), together with eight small wind turbines (annual output of 61,000 kWh). The new power systems will generate about 2% of the annual electricity load of the entire station.

Station lighting has been upgraded with energy-conserving LED lighting, and the railway installed its first fiber optic cable systems designed to allow sunlight to be used for station lighting. The railway also introduced a ventilation system using geothermal heat. The improvements are targeted to reduce the station’s annual carbon dioxide emissions by 20%, and the railway will also implement some building greening improvements.

Average daily station entries at Kaihin Makuhari in FY2012 were 55,681 passengers, and the surrounding area is home to a variety of high-rise residential towers, office buildings, and malls, along with the Makuhari Messe convention center and the QVC Marine Field baseball stadium. The new Perie Kaihin Makuhari features LED lighting and energy-conserving HVAC systems, and marks the seventh location of JR East’s Perie brand of station retail facilities. The facility is expected to generate ¥2.2 billion in annual revenues.

===

Morning rush hour at the ped scramble outside the station:

fieldsofdreams liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #6083
quashlo

Platform doors to enter operation on Platform 1 of Keiō Shinjuku Station in October
京王、新宿駅1番線にホームドア設置…10月末から使用開始

http://response.jp/article/2013/09/14/206414.html

On 2013.09.13, Keiō Corporation announced that it would begin operating platform doors on Platform 1 at the Kei Keiō Line’s Shinjuku Station starting in late October.

The station is a three-track terminal, and Keiō first announced plans to install platform doors at the station in 2011. The doors began operating on Platform 3 earlier this year on 2013.03.09. They are also working on installation of platform doors on Platform 2, aiming to begin operating those units by fiscal year close. Funding is partially being provided by the MLIT, TMG, and Shinjuku Ward. Keiō Shinjuku Station will be the fourth station on the Keiō system to get platform doors after Chōfu, Fuda, and Kokuryō in 2012.

===

Recent platform door installation work at Shin-Ōkubo Station on the Yamanote Line. Can see how narrow the platform gets with the doors @ 2:00.

Old September 15th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #6084
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

More like gates, not doors
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #6085
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Osaka ... really well filmed, which I find to be rare:

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #6086
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Osaka ... really well filmed, which I find to be rare:

Really? I think it's very average videography (camera shake and a bit too much zooming, IMO). Some good sound though, except when the levels get too high.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #6087
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6984

Seems like camera turning off noise cancellation on zooming. Or he is just covering mic hole with his hand.
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #6088
quashlo

LIRR taps Kawasaki for new M9 cars
http://www.progressiverailroading.co...awasaki--37718

Quote:
Kawasaki Rail Car Inc. has been awarded an $1.8 billion contract to design, manufacture, test and deliver a base order of 92 M9 rail cars for MTA Long Island Road (LIRR). The contract includes options for up to 584 cars for LIRR and MTA Metro-North Railroad, according to a blog about the LIRR, which was posted yesterday.

The base order would provide LIRR with enough cars to replace its aging M3 fleet, stated the blog, "The Long Island Rail Road Today." Funding for the order will come from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's 2009-2014 capital budget. The cars would be designed to operate on either LIRR or Metro-North, the blog stated.

Good news for Kawasaki… They seem to have developed a good relationship with MTA, which is good given that they have a huge fleet.

Some discussion here:
http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1247421
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #6089
quashlo

JR West to equip station staff with tablet computers
JR西日本、京阪神地区の主要駅にタブレット端末 - 輸送障害発生時など活用

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/09/14/013/

Official press release:
http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl...page_4429.html

JR West will equip station staff at major stations in the Keihanshin (Ōsaka–Kōbe–Kyōto) area with tablet computers in an effort to improve dissemination of train status information to passengers during service disruptions. The railway will distribute a total of 220 Aquos Pads produced by Sharp to major stations in Shiga, Kyōto, Ōsaka, Hyōgo, Nara, and Wakayama Prefectures. Starting 2013.10.01, station staff will be able to use the tablet computers to obtain information on train operations, including the location and schedule adherence of trains, as well as status of JR and non-JR train service. JR East already rolled out a similar system for its stations in Greater Tōkyō.

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #6090
quashlo

Operational improvements coming to Hanwa Line

Official press release:
http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl...page_4431.html

JR West released details of its operational upgrades to the Hanwa Line, stretching 61.3 km between Wakayama and JR West’s third-largest terminal station, Tennōji Station in Ōsaka. With 35 stations, an average daily ridership of over 100,000 passengers, and over 500 trains a day, the line is of one of the key corridors in JR West’s urban network in the Keihanshin area.

In particular, JR West will replace the aging traffic control system on the line, install and expand turnback facilities, implement grade crossing noise improvements, and elevate the line near Higashi-Kishiwada Station as part of its effort to cut service disruptions in half, as described under its 2017 safety plan. In particular, they will install new crossovers at Ōtori (鳳), Higashi-Kaizuka, and Kumatori Stations, enhancing turnback capabilities.

Proposed improvements at Ōtori:

Introduction of an improved grade crossing system will reduce disruptions to cross-street traffic by allowing passage when trains are stopped at stations. Currently, the arms go down regardless of whether or not the train is stopping at the station:

Elevated Higashi-Kishiwada Station:

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #6091
quashlo

Planning efforts for reuse of Peachliner viaduct underway
小牧の桃花台線廃止から7年 整備の具体策描けず

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/ai...602000045.html

It’s been seven years since Komaki City’s Tōkadai Line (Peachliner) was abandoned in October 2006 due to poor performance, and in July, Aichi Prefecture held the first sessions with local residents to determine how to best reuse the line’s aerial structures. However, a detailed plan, timeline, and cost are still a long ways to go.

The line was a 7.7 km automated guideway transit (AGT) system built to connect Tōkadai New Town (桃花台ニュータウン) and Meitetsu Komaki Station. After abandonment, the track infrastructure was removed, but the elevated viaduct still remains. A working group of academic experts and local representatives proposed a plan in March 2009 to convert the structures into a road for compact vehicles on the 3 km Route 155 Bypass segment, with a bus lane underneath.

In the July workshop, the Prefectural Government said it would continue evaluating the working group’s proposal, as well as a new plan to demolition the other segments of the viaduct and convert them to shared pedestrian–bicycle trails and parks. However, a previous idea to reuse the structures for installation of solar panels was apparently overlooked by the Prefectural Government. There was also no cost or timeline provided for the working group’s proposal, raising concern among some residents that the Prefectural Government is not fully committed to the project.

===

Following the route of the Peachliner:

Svartmetall liked this post
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #6092
quashlo

Scale model of the new Sendai Subway Tōzai Line rolling stock. A total of 15 4-car sets will be produced at a cost of approx. ¥8.3 billion. Since the line is a mini-subway, the trains are a bit smaller than the Namboku Line.
http://www.asahi.com/area/miyagi/art...309150140.html

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #6093
quashlo

Additional trains for Yokohama Municipal Subway Green Line
横浜市交通局、グリーンラインの10000形を増備…本年度末から運行開始

http://response.jp/article/2013/09/14/206405.html

On 2013.09.12, the Yokohama City Transportation Bureau (横浜市交通局) announced that it will place an additional order of 10000 series trains for the Municipal Subway Green Line and begin running them in revenue service at fiscal year close.

The Green Line opened in March 2008 with 15 4-car sets, but the Bureau will place a second order for an additional 2 4-car sets. The exterior will feature LED headlights and full-color destination signs, with some minor changes to taillight shape and rear / front paint scheme. The interior will feature expanded wheelchair space and LED lighting, as well as new wide (17 in) LCD screens, additional wall-mounted heaters and overhead racks, and new door open / close lights.

===

Current LCDs. I think these are standard 14 in.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #6094
quashlo

New color-coded LED lighting began operating at Higashi-Kanagawa Station on 2013.09.15 to help passengers identify arriving trains (blue for Keihin–Tōhoku Line, green for Yokohama Line).

Kanaloco news report. Kind of hard to see in the video.

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #6095
quashlo

The former Manseibashi Station on the Chūō Line has been restored and reborn as a retail facility, opening on 2013.09.14. FNN news report:

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #6096
quashlo

Effects of Tōyoko Line / Fukutoshin Line through-service after six months
東横線と地下鉄直通運転から半年で変化は

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...574811000.html

Tōkyō Metro has released data regarding ridership on the Fukutoshin Line half a year after the start of through-services with the Fukutoshin Line.

After analyzing passenger behavior based on faregate data, average daily ridership at Shinjuku Sanchōme Station for the three-month period (April – June) has increased by 32.0% year-over-year to 130,000, which they believe is a result of increased long-distance demand from Yokohama and Saitama thanks to the through-services. Ikebukuro Station also increased 9.1% to 357,000 passengers, while Shibuya Station increased 20.2% to 744,000.

The latter result is especially surprising, given that most people were expecting a drop at Shibuya. However, it’s clear that Tōkyū’s 34-story Shibuya Hikarie development, which opened in April of last year, has helped anchor the station. Floors 17 and above are dedicated to office space, and the entire complex is used by about 50,000 people a day, including employees working in the building. Hikarie has also shifted passenger flows, as most of the attractions and activity at Shibuya has historically been on the west side. Other efforts by Shibuya Ward to market Shibuya to foreign tourists have also paid off, with foreigners staying in Shibuya increasing 50% compared to the same time last year.

===

Article has a video report.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #6097
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8774

Good! Does that hint that there is still room for patronage growth on the rail network? If so, the "build and they will come as long as there is employment and/or entertainment/services in the area" applies, which is great. Do you think this could spur further expansion to the network?
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #6098
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Effects of Tōyoko Line / Fukutoshin Line through-service after six months
東横線と地下鉄直通運転から半年で変化は
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...574811000.html

Tōkyō Metro has released data regarding ridership on the Fukutoshin Line half a year after the start of through-services with the Fukutoshin Line.

After analyzing passenger behavior based on faregate data, average daily ridership at Shinjuku Sanchōme Station for the three-month period (April – June) has increased by 32.0% year-over-year to 130,000, which they believe is a result of increased long-distance demand from Yokohama and Saitama thanks to the through-services. Ikebukuro Station also increased 9.1% to 357,000 passengers, while Shibuya Station increased 20.2% to 744,000.

The latter result is especially surprising, given that most people were expecting a drop at Shibuya. However, it’s clear that Tōkyū’s 34-story Shibuya Hikarie development, which opened in April of last year, has helped anchor the station. Floors 17 and above are dedicated to office space, and the entire complex is used by about 50,000 people a day, including employees working in the building. Hikarie has also shifted passenger flows, as most of the attractions and activity at Shibuya has historically been on the west side. Other efforts by Shibuya Ward to market Shibuya to foreign tourists have also paid off, with foreigners staying in Shibuya increasing 50% compared to the same time last year.

===

Article has a video report.
That's truly an excellent news story indeed with analysis that I'd love to think about! This is the type of city and regional planning I'd love to pursue in the long run, and I must say that the "Link!" built in Shibuya station has helped spur rail traffic (both commuter and subway) significantly to a point that existing stations along the Fukutoshin Line have experienced a good amount of growth in passenger traffic. Indeed, "build the infra and people will come" holds true in this case, and I want to use this as a case study in rethinking edge and central city developments.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #6099
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 460

I can definitely agree with this; it's gotten packed in the morning rush for sure!

Sent from my SC-04E using Tapatalk 4

fieldsofdreams liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #6100
mkill

Likes (Received): 15

I would be interested in a statistic of what the percentages of "continue on the Fukutoshin Line", "continue on the Yurakucho Line" and "get off at/before Ikebukuro" are for both the Seibu Ikebukuro and the Tobu Tojo Line. And how much these percentages are different.
It should be in the Pasmo data, but I don't think we'll see these publicized.
mkill no está en línea   Reply With Quote