daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #6101
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

JICA to fund Mumbai Metro Line 3
http://india.nydailynews.com/busines...mumbai-metro-3

Quote:
Mumbai, Sep 17 — The stage is set for constructing the 33.5-km long, fully underground Mumbai Metro-3 line with Japanese finance - the first instalment which is to the tune of 71,000 million yen (Rs.4,553 crore), an official said here.

An agreement was signed between Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and the Indian government in New Delhi, where JICA has pledged the first tranche of the 1.40 percent, 30-year loan for the mega-infrastructure project, according to an official of Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA).

The Mumbai Metro-3, one of the biggest in the entire planned network, will be the city's first fully underground stretch - from south Mumbai's tip Colaba to Bandra to Santacruz Airport to SEEPZ in Andheri east.

The JICA agreement follows a commitment by Japan vide Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development for the first loan instalment signed March 25 this year.

The Japanese loan - which would comprise 57.2 percent of the total estimated project cost of Rs.23,136 crore - would be spent on constructing the line, along with tunnels running below the sea creeks, railway stations and allied facilities, rolling stock, system component and consulting services.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #6102
quashlo

There’s a TV Tōkyō video report on Kawasaki’s recent contract win for LIRR and MNRR. Apparently, this is KHI's largest overseas railcar order ever.
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/mv/wbs/newsl/post_50062
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #6103
quashlo

Mitsubishi Electric provides new full-color LED passenger information scrolls for Tama Monorail
三菱電機、フルカラーLED車内案内表示器が多摩都市モノレールで実用化

http://response.jp/article/2013/09/17/206552.html

Mitsubishi Electric has won a contract to provide the Tama Monorail with full-color LED scroll displays for passenger information, and a train set featuring the upgraded units began operating in revenue service in August.

The new displays are designed around color-based universal design concepts and feature a 24 × 160 dot matrix capable of reproducing colors from a 687-color palette. By controlling the brightness variation, the unit is able to produce uniform color swatches.

Old September 18th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #6104
quashlo

Unit 10-490F, the first of the 10-300 series for the Toei Shinjuku Line, entered revenue service on 2013.09.15. This is a 10-car unit, so it’s primarily being used on the through-services with the Keiō Line.

First day of service. Personally, I prefer the Tōkyū 5000-styled front of the other 10-300 series trains.

Running sound and LCD, from Ōjima to Ichinoe:

Old September 18th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #6105
quashlo

Okayama Prefecture panel recommends downsizing Kurashiki Station grade-separation
倉敷駅周辺高架「縮小検討を」

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/oka...OYT8T01243.htm

A panel of experts tasked with evaluating the need for projects and programs being carried out by Okayama Prefecture has submitted its report regarding the proposed grade-separation (elevation) of the tracks surrounding JR Kurashiki Station, recommending a downsizing of the project scope.
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #6106
quashlo

Nagoya considers light rail
LRT導入検討 名古屋市まちづくりプラン素案

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/aic...OYT8T01457.htm

On 2013.09.17, Nagoya City published a draft of a new transport implantation plan (なごや交通まちづくりプラン) that includes several keystone elements, including introduction of light rail transit, in an effort to transform automobile-focused roads into activity zones and open spaces. The city will canvass public opinion on the plan before finalizing the document next fiscal year.

The plan is intended as an implementation of the city’s latest strategic transport plan (FY2011 – FY2020) (なごや新交通戦略推進プラン), and covers both motorized and non-motorized transport. The plan calls for considering the introduction of light rail or bus rapid transit in the central city, such as between Nagoya Station and the Sakae district.

===

Nagoya’s municipal trams pre-abandonment, about 40 years ago:

There are still trams in the Nagoya area, though, including the Toyohashi Railroad.

At Toyohashi Station (2012.08.29):

Near Azumada:

Svartmetall liked this post
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #6107
quashlo

Meitetsu Seto Line elevation to kick into gear soon
名古屋市:名鉄瀬戸線小幡駅−大森・金城学院前駅、高架化工事に着手 交通渋滞緩和で−−今年度中

http://mainichi.jp/area/aichi/news/2...10273000c.html

On 2013.09.17, Nagoya City revealed that it expects that major work on the grade-separation (elevation) of 1.9 km of the Meitetsu Seto Line between Obata (小幡) and Ōmori – Kinjō Gakuin-mae (大森・金城学院前) Stations in Moriyama Ward will began sometime this fiscal year. The project will relieve traffic congestion at grade crossings with National Route 302 and other roads, eliminating a total of 9 grade crossings and elevating the intermediate station at Kitayama (喜多山).

According to the city, the ¥24.9 billion project is being executed in coordination with both the national government and Meitetsu. With completion of 97% of the necessary land acquisition as of the end of March of this year, the city says it will now break ground on the temporary tracks needed to elevate the line before fiscal year close. The target completion date is FY2019.

===

Cab view on a Seto Line 6750 series semi-express from Ōzone to Ōmori – Kinjō Gakuin-mae:

Old September 19th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #6108
quashlo

JR East invited reporters to tour the completed Gran Roof at the Yaesu Exit of Tōkyō Station on 2013.09.18. It will open to the public on 2013.09.20.

ANN news report:

The Nikkei Shimbun has a far better video here:
http://www.nikkei.com/video/?bclid=6...5909002&scrl=1

Old September 19th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #6109
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8821

I really like the new green wall on the staircase there. I've been following video diaries of a foreigner living in Tokyo - he's taken videos throughout the construction period.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #6110
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Well, I guess I'll head down there tomorrow during lunch and check it out. I've been checking the progress out casually from the skyscraper 2 blocks away in Yurakucho from afar mostly...

Sent from my SC-04E using Tapatalk 4
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #6111
quashlo

I rarely post any English language content, so here's some recent clips:

A short AFP video report on Tōkyō's rail network.

Australian bloke on the Yamanote Line:

Old September 19th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #6112
quashlo

Service restored on all of Kyōto Municipal Subway Tōzai Line
市営地下鉄東西線、全線で運転再開 京阪京津線は復旧めど立たず 印刷用画面を開く

http://kyoto-np.co.jp/politics/article/20130919000189

On the evening of 2013.09.19, the Kyōto City Transportation Bureau resumed service on the Tōzai Line between Karasuma–Oike and Ono after a four-day hiatus as a result of damage from Typhoon #18. Uzumasa Tenjingawa Station (Ukyō Ward) and Rokujizō Station (Uji City) also reopened the same evening starting with the 21:30 departures.

In the early morning of 2013.09.16, Misasagi Station on the Tōzai Line was completely flooded as a result of heavy rains from Typhoon #18. As a result, the subway cancelled some trains and turned back others, with substitute bus service provided on the disrupted segment. The damaged sections and stations were supposed to open on the morning of 2013.09.19, but the reopening was delayed when the efficiency of the water pumps slowed as a result of all the dirty water.

The rainwater, 15,600 tons in total, originally entered the station via the portals connecting the line with the Keihan Keishin Line, reaching close to the station’s platforms. The water disrupted the pump station controls, located between Misasagi and Yamashina Stations, and after the alarms alerted staff to the problem around on 2013.09.16, they discovered the station has been flooded. The entire B3F (platform level) of the station was inundated. Eventually, they borrowed 26 pumps from the fire department and local corporations but the work took longer than expected given the depth of the station. They are now looking at whether or not they can increase the height of the pump station control panels.

There is still no word on when service will be restored on the Keihan Keishin Line after the typhoon caused landslides on some segments of the line.

===

Service disruptions on the Tōzai Line and substitute bus service:

Damage to the Keishin Line looks fairly extensive.

A day later, same location:

About 200 m down:

Old September 19th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #6113
quashlo

The Ōsaka Municipal Transportation Bureau is running a special train on the Midōsuji Line to celebrate 110 years of publicly-operated transport in the city. The train has been dressed in a special series of temporary wraps representing historic liveries on the subway.

Pretty colorful:

Old September 19th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #6114
quashlo

Schedule improvements for Ginza Line, Marunouchi Line, Tōzai Line
丸ノ内線・東西線、終電延長 東京メトロ、平日の一部区間で

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...10C13A9L92000/

Official press release:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2013/p...30919_d095.pdf

As part of recent proposals to improve late-night transfers between Tōkyō Metro services and connecting JR and private railway trains, Tōkyō Metro will implement late-night schedule improvements on weekdays to the Ginza Line, Marunouchi Line, and Tōzai Line.

In particular, Tōkyō Metro will add 6 trains to the Ginza Line during the 20:00 through 22:00 hours, including 2 Shibuya-bound departures from Asakusa, one Shibuya-bound departure from Ueno, and 3 Asakusa-bound departures from Shibuya. These additional services will provide better connectivity at Akasaka Mitsuke Station with the Marunouchi Line, which will also see three additional roundtrips between Ikebukuro and Ogikubo during the 21:00 through 23:00 hours and see two late-night trains extended to improve convenience on the Shinjuku – Ogikubo section and enhance connectivity wit hteh JR Chūō Line. Specifically, the 23:46 departure from Ikebukuro, terminating at Nakano Sakaue (24:26 arr), will be extended to Ogikubo (24:36 arr), while the 23:55 departure from Ikebukuro, terminating at Shinjuku (24:30 arr), will be extended to Nakano Sakaue (24:34 arr).

For the Tōzai Line, Tōkyō Metro will add two roundtrips between Nakano and Nishi-Funabashi during the 22:00 and 23:00 hours and extend the 24:01 departure from Nakano terminating at Tōyōchō (24:29 arr) to Myōden (24:47 arr). The railway will also add one additional local from Nakano to Nishi-Funabashi (24:47 arr) in FY2014, allowing passengers to connect with the 24:54 JR Sōbu Line departure from Nishi-Funabashi. They will similarly extend the 23:51 departure from Nakano on weekends and holidays terminating at Tōyōchō (24:19 arr) to Myōden.

The railway will also implement some schedule improvements during the mornings. Specifically, four Ginza Line Ueno-bound departures from Shibuya during the 8:00 and 9:00 hours on weekday mornings will be extended to Asakusa, while 6 Shibuya-bound departures from Ueno will be extended to start at Asakusa instead. Similarly, one Marunouchi Line Ikebukuro departure for Shinjuku (8:20 arr) will be extended to Ogikubo, and one Shinjuku departure (8:26 dep) for Ikebukuro will be extended to begin at Ogikubo. For the Tōzai Line, two Tōyōchō departures during the 6:00 hour (one for Mitaka, one for Nakano), will be extended to start at Nishi-Funabashi instead. On weekends and holidays, the railway will also add three roundtrips to the Ginza Line during the 8:00 hour between Asakusa and Shibuya and five roundtrips to the Marunouchi Line during the 8:00 and 9:00 hours (3 between Ikebukuro and Nakano Fujimichō and 2 between Ikebukuro and Shinjuku), improving headways on both lines from 5 minutes to 4 minutes.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #6115
quashlo

There was a strange accident on the Chūō Main Line at Sagamiko Station in Sagamihara City, perhaps the first-ever derailment of an E233 series in revenue service. The end car of a 10-car Chūō Line rapid for Ōtsuki (departing from Tōkyō) derailed at around 10:20 am on 2013.09.17 when arriving at the station. An alarm went off and alerted the operator, who then initiated an emergency stop. Due to the slow speed, there were no injuries to any of the 100 passengers on board. The police reported that the cause was likely subsidence in the track bed, although other articles say there were pieces of concrete found near the site (?).

ANN news report:

FNN news report:

Old September 19th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #6116
quashlo

NHK World video report on Tōkyō Metro’s consultancy services for Hanoi Metro:

Old September 20th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #6117
quashlo

MLIT proposes new funding scheme for urban rail projects
都心の鉄道不便解消/民間と新駅、国が半分補助/国交省

http://www.kensetsunews.com/?p=20274

As part of a policy to enhance the global competitiveness of Japan’s large cities, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) is considering establishment of a new funding scheme to improve the convenience of “urban rail dead zones”, neighborhoods with poor rail access (300 m or more to the nearest station). Under the new scheme, the national government would fund half of the cost of new subway stations, public passages, or other infrastructure proposed as part of a private-sector land use development. The scheme would allow for assembling funds for new stations and other infrastructure with wide-ranging merits from the various private-sector entities who would enjoy the benefits. In particular, candidate projects would include Tōkyō’s Toranomon district and surrounding areas, where several large-scale redevelopment projects are current underway.

While there are currently funding schemes to allow the national government to provide financial assistance to rail projects being led by public entities, this would be the first such scheme targeting private-sector entities. But some areas targeted for strategic, focused redevelopment in an effort to increase Japans’ global competitiveness currently have poor railway access. The Toranomon-area redevelopment projects, in particular, are situated in between Toranomon and Kamiyachō Stations on the Hibiya Line.

A report published by the Urban Renaissance Agency (UR) in March indicates that completion of the various redevelopment projects in the Toranomon-area will substantially increase ridership at the two stations, resulting in bottlenecks due to passenger congestion. The report analyzed the potential benefits of various improvement scenarios, including construction of new station exits and ticketing halls at both stations; a new station; and a new underground passage linking the development areas with Toranomon Station. The estimated costs are approx. ¥2.2 billion, ¥12.0 billion, and ¥3.5 billion, respectively. Outside of the Shinbashi–Toranomon area, other “urban rail dead zones” include the Harumi, Roppongi, and Nishi-Azabu districts.

The funding scheme would not be limited to rail projects only, and would likely also be available for bus terminals and other improvements.

===

The redevelopment in question is Toranomon Hills (虎ノ門ヒルズ), which is soon to be Tōkyō’s tallest building (excluding the Sky Tree), opening in 2014. The location is a bit un-ideal, since it’s about 200-300 m from the closest station, Toranomon Station on the Ginza Line.

A new station on the Hibiya Line would probably be best in terms of passenger convenience, although the spacing would end up being pretty small… Kamiyachō and Kasumigaseki (not Toranomon, as mentioned in the article) are 1.3 km apart. I suspect they would want to put it underneath the Toranomon 3-chōme (虎ノ門3丁目) intersection, maybe call it “Atago” (愛宕). I’m not sure if this is realistic, although it’s not necessarily out of the question given that Toranomon Hills is basically the land-development part of a major road project, Loop Road #2 (環状二号線) that would connect Shinbashi / Shiodome with Toranomon. In fact, the road will pass directly underneath the building—you can see the ROW for the new road quite clearly in aerials (http://goo.gl/maps/KPu7b)... They had to purchase all that land to build it. So, a new station isn’t so unrealistic, but I’m not aware of any plans at Mori Building regarding specific improvements to rail access related to the project.

One other potential idea is somehow building a station here on the Asakusa Line bypass / “Central Tōkyō Link”… That line would potentially pass by this area between Tōkyō and Sengakuji Stations.

Svartmetall, fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old September 21st, 2013, 02:36 AM   #6118
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8821

Could this also be useful for Nagoya, which in contrast to Osaka and Tokyo seems to have a few more gaps in its network? I saw there were plans for BRT and other measures there, but I would be very interested in rail expansions in the area.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 03:39 AM   #6119
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Could this also be useful for Nagoya, which in contrast to Osaka and Tokyo seems to have a few more gaps in its network? I saw there were plans for BRT and other measures there, but I would be very interested in rail expansions in the area.
There may be fewer ambitious plans for rail expansion in Nagoya, perhaps due to the stronger car culture there- Aichi prefecture, despite being the fourth largest prefecture in population, is first in car ownership. Apparently it is not unusual to see 3 or 4 car households there.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:51 AM   #6120
quashlo

Well, there's definitely a lot of proposed projects in Nagoya that haven't really gotten anywhere:

But what's left is mostly fairly large stuff (i.e., whole new lines or multi-station extensions). The new funding scheme is intended for private-sector projects, but it's more likely for the private sector to be leading smaller-scale, one-off projects like an infill station, new underground passages, etc. than projects on the scale of what's proposed in Nagoya.