daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #6221
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Toyama Chihō Railroad purchases ex-Tōkyū cars
富山地方鉄道:大型通勤形車両、東急から4両購入

http://mainichi.jp/area/toyama/news/...40686000c.html

In order to increase capacity, Toyama Chihō Railroad has purchased four urban-sized stainless steel EMU cars from major Tōkyō private railway Tōkyū Corporation. The cars will enter service in two-car formations across the Toyama Chihō Railroad system starting this month. This marks the first cars with longitudinal seating for the railway in 18 years.

According to the railway, the cars are lightweight, rust-resistant four-door designs, with a capacity of 141 passengers each and featuring energy-efficient designs such as regenerative braking.

===

The original Toyama Chihō Railroad press release from a few months back is here:
http://www.chitetsu.co.jp/wp-content...f33b0dd18d.pdf

These are ex-8590 series from the Ōimachi Line, and Toyama Chihō Railroad is hoping to increase capacity in preparation for the opening of the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension to Kanazawa in spring 2015.

Spotted in transport at Takasaki Station (2013.07.10):

At Kamiichi Station on the Toyama Chihō Railroad (2013.07.14):

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #6222
quashlo

Tōkyō Metro to test emergency batter power equipment

Press release:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2013/p...1007_eb093.pdf

In coordination with Hitachi, Tōkyō Metro will conduct running tests of trains equipped with emergency battery power systems starting January 2014. The system builds off Hitachi’s B-CHOP battery storage technology and is intended to allow trains stranded between stations to reach the nearest station to offload passengers in the event of a power failure following a natural disaster.
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #6223
quashlo

Saikyō Line to receive ATACS wireless train control system in 2017

Press release:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20131005.pdf

JR East’s wireless train control system known as ATACS (Advanced Train Administration and Communications System) has been in testing on the Aoba-dōri – Higashi-Shiogama section of the Senseki Line in the Sendai area for about two years, and the railway has confirmed the system’s performance and stability. Now, JR East will begin roll-out in the Greater Tōkyō area, starting first with the Saikyō Line, where the system will begin operating in autumn FY2017 between Ikebukuro and Ōmiya.

Currently, train control and protection is based on track circuits, which detect the presence of trains within specific fixed signal blocks. In order to enforce the protection, only one train is allowed in each block, and a large amount of wayside infrastructure including signal heads, automatic train stop (ATS) systems, and cables are necessary to support the system. ATACS is based on the “moving block” concept, using radio signals to provide train control and protection, eliminating the need for most of the lineside equipment.

Construction to implement ATACS on the Saikyō Line will begin in FY2013, with the system beginning operation in autumn 2017.

===

Good news… No word on what’s up with the CBTC system they want to implement on the Jōban Local Line.
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #6224
quashlo

Tōyō Electric wins contract for Beijing Subway Line 10

Press release:
http://www.toyodenki.co.jp/html/images/131009.pdf

After a bidding process initiated in September, Tōyō Electric (東洋電機) and local partner Xiangtan Electric Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (湘潭电机股份有限公司) have secured preferential negotiating rights for a contract t oprovide electrical equipment for 32 trainsets (192 cars) for Beijing Subway Line 10. The contract covers VVVF inverters (VVVF 制御装置), auxiliary power equipment (補助電源装置), information transmission equipment (情報伝送装置), and gear equipment (歯車装置), Tōyō Electric receiving approx. ¥1.7 billion and Xiangtan Electric Manufacturing receiving ¥3.4 billion. Manufacturing and delivery will take place between May 2014 and July 2015. As part of JV arrangements with the other participating firms in the winning team (Hunan Xiangyang Electric Manufacturing Co. Ltd. 湖南湘電東洋電気有限公司 and Changzhou Ruiyang Transmission Technology Co. Ltd. 常州朗鋭東洋伝動技術有限公司), Tōyō Electric will also receive about ¥1 billion from Xiangtan Electric Manufacturing in return for electrical equipment.
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #6225
quashlo

JICA tapped to study Manila Purple Line extension to port
http://www.interaksyon.com/business/...to-manila-port

Quote:
MANILA - The government has revived a plan to extend the LRT 2 all the way to the Port of Manila.

"The department is currently undertaking a feasibility study extending LRT Line 2 to port area. The [feasibility study] is ongoing," Transport Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya said in a speech during the inauguration of North Harbor's new passenger terminal.

He later told reporters that the Japan International Cooperation Agency is undertaking the feasibility study.

"We are still awaiting the [feasibility study]. Initially, the project was not viable, but they are looking at it again in a bigger picture," Abaya said, adding that the study will look into project financing.

In 2011, state-run Light Rail Transit Authority proposed extending LRT 2 from the Recto station towards Delpan Street in front of Tutuban, the site of the country's first train station.

The government is bidding out the consulting and engineering work for the 4.2-kilometer extension of the LRT 2 to the Masinag area in Cainta, Rizal.

Two additional stations will be constructed -- the Emerald station in front of Robinson's Place Metro East in Cainta Rizal and Masinag Station at the Masinag Junction in Antipolo City.

The project would cost P9.76 billion and would serve an additional 130,000 train commuters, up from the existing 240,000.

The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) had approved the government’s planned borrowing of 43.25 billion Japanese yen or $436.24 million from JICA to finance the extension of LRT 1 to Bacoor, Cavite, as well as that of LRT 2 to Masinag.

fieldsofdreams, Blackraven liked this post
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #6226
quashlo

A new station building at Shuzenji Station on the Izu Hakone Railway Sunzu Line partially opened to the public on 2013.10.05. The rest will open in 2014.08.

Old October 9th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #6227
quashlo

Big changes coming for Shinjuku Station South Exit
変わる新宿南口 高速バスターミナル、高層商業ビル着工

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...3A001C1L83000/

Work on large-scale redevelopment at the South Exit of Tōkyō largest rail station is about to kick into full gear, with the structural frame for a new “transit hub” building housing a highway express bus terminal and other facilities rising above the JR tracks and construction of a nearby 33-story highrise beginning in September. Additional improvements at the station include a new public passage connecting the East and West Exits of the station, marking the start of a major transformation of the station to be completed in time for the 2020 Summer Olympics.

In particular, work is ramping up for a project led by the national government to construct a 1.5 ha deck and 3-story structure above the JR tracks to serve as a new transit hub at the South Exit. Currently, long-distance bus services make use of over 20 on-street stops scattered around the station area, primarily at the West Exit, but with recent legislation taking effect requiring tour buses to use dedicated bus stops, the national government is looking to consolidate as many of the stops into the new bus terminal as possible.

The top floor (4F) of the transit hub will serve highway express coaches and airport buses, with 12 platforms and over 10 parking spots. Officials will now determine which operators will get access to the terminal. The bottom floor (2F) of the hub will feature faregates into the station and a pedestrian plaza, while the second floor (3F) will feature waiting zones for taxis and private vehicles. The building will be completed in spring 2016.

On an adjacent site, JR East is building a 111,000 sq m skyscraper housing office and retail, tentatively called the Shinjuku Station New South Exit Building (新宿駅新南口ビル). 6F through 33F of the building will feature offices (2,100 sq m floorplate), and the building will be completed simultaneously with the new transit hub. The retail facility will be operated by JR East brand Lumine (ルミネ) and include a 300-seat multi-purpose hall and nursery facilities.

JR East is also working with Shinjuku Ward and others on a new 25 m wide, 100 m long public passage connecting the East and West Exits of the station on B1F. The station can be complex and difficult to understand for unaccustomed users, and access between the two station exits currently requires using an underground passage at the north side of the station or detouring to Kōshū Kaidō at the South Exit. The ¥11.5 billion project would widen the existing north passage inside the paid area of the station to allow circulation for non-passengers. JR East will fund one-third of the project, with the remainder shouldered by the national government and Shinjuku Ward.

According to JR East, daily station entries at Shinjuku are approx. 740,000 passengers (FY2012), tops in the railway’s service network and far outstripping #2 spot Ikebukuro (approx. 550,000) and #3 spot Shibuya (approx. 410,000).

pudgym29 liked this post
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #6228
mkill

Likes (Received): 15

JR Hokkaido: It's pretty clear by now that Hokkaido simply doesn't have the population density to sustain train services comparable to other parts of Japan.

Risking to say something heretic here, but is it necessary to keep them all? I don't see a huge environmental advantage of diesel trains over buses. The need is even less the more battery-powered buses become available.

What Hokkaido then needs to do is to decide which train lines they want to keep to maintain a core network and support commuters and tourism. These lines then need to be supported by tax money - you're keeping the system alive as a public service, not a for-profit business. I'd rather have them support a smaller network of modern trains and high-quality track on the popular lines than having the entire system die a slow death.

Note that Hokkaido has the additional problem that a number of regions have former mining towns. With the mines closed, the freight demand is gone and population is shrinking faster than it would in other rural regions.
mkill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #6229
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Japan is famous for having the smoothest running public transport system in the world. But that only lasts as long as the money that's invested into it, as JR Hokkaido is finding out...
So if that's the case, could JR Hokkaido need some help and relief in terms of rail maintenance and determining which rail lines will it have to ax to trim losses while providing core services to cities like Sapporo, Obihiro, and other key cities on the island? I mean, yes, trains can carry more freight and people per kilometer efficiently than a bus would, but, with the various conditions on the island (especially low density and weather), I sense that Hokkaido might need a more balanced approach between core train services (via the Seikan Tunnel) and augmented regional coach services to cater to the smaller communities in the prefecture... but the goal remains the same: to serve people.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #6230
mkill

Improvements for the Olympics:

The most straightforward one would be to force JR to acknowlege connections to non-JR lines in their maps properly. They're still in the old mindset that transfer passengers are traitors. Yes, that means using line colors, letter codes and English names for all lines that you can transfer to. Right now, all you have often is just the Kanji name. Zero useful to (Non-Chinese) tourists.

Also, with everyone on Suica, why are there still faregates between lines at most stations? Your system can handle knowing only first and last station of transfer passengers just fine. Get rid of those gates already.

As for airport access... It's a bit of a mess. I second building a proper 4-track line (Keisei / JR) for the last meters into the airport. That alone would remove most obstacles.

The second, more difficult one would be better transfer between Keisei Ueno and the other lines over there (JR, Shink, Hibiya, Ueno...) Not sure how to get there as the area is already cramped. Why not close the road on the west side of Ueno Park? Too drastic? There should also be coach buses between Ueno and major hotel areas.

Tokyo Station needs better signs for the Narita Express. If you don't know where to look, you'll never find it. And why is there no way to buy the Express ticket at the platform!? C'mon guys, it's an electronic booking system.

The Asakusa Line Bypass is a nice plan, but they won't finish it until 2020. Until then, I hope they get some other improvements to the Asakusa Line in, including passing tracks and easier transfers.
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #6231
mkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I mean, yes, trains can carry more freight and people per kilometer efficiently than a bus would, but, with the various conditions on the island (especially low density and weather), I sense that Hokkaido might need a more balanced approach between core train services (via the Seikan Tunnel) and augmented regional coach services to cater to the smaller communities in the prefecture... but the goal remains the same: to serve people.
With the mining mostly gone, there is very little demand for freight. There is a bit of manufacturing left, but Hokkaido has always been the periphery. Japanese companies started outsourcing to SE Asia in the 70ies, and that's still going on. Japan being an island, if you really need a ship a lot you can just build next to a harbor.

As for people, except for the core routes like Hakodate-Sapporo-Asahiyama and Sapporo-Obihiro and Sapporo commuter services, is there demand that can't be met by buses?

How many passengers come theough the Seikan Tunnel compared to flights?
Even with the Sapporo Shinkansen around 2025 ... Tokyo-Aomori is already three hours, so make that more than 4 hours. Most people will still fly from Tokyo, I think.
Old October 10th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #6232
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Hiroshima is 4 hours by train from Tokyo and still there is large demand for the Shinkansen. Of course Hiroshima Airport is kind of inaccessible, but there is also the extra time to get from Haneda to most places in Tokyo compared to getting right off the Shinkansen at Shinagawa or Tokyo. I have no numbers to back it up but I estimate based on personal observation that more people take the Shinkansen to Tokyo than fly in Hiroshima. The competition is pretty intense though.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #6233
quashlo

Ishimine Station on Yui Rail extension could open in 2016
モノレール延長 先行開業、16年にも石嶺駅

http://article.okinawatimes.co.jp/ar...13-10-10_55162

In regards to a phased opening for the planned extension of the Okinawa Urban Monorail (Yui Rail) from the current terminus at Shuri to Uranishi, the Okinawa Prefectural Government’s Engineering and Building Department says that it plans to reveal the conclusions of its discussions with the various stakeholder agencies on 2013.10.12, and it’s likely that the segment up to Ishimine Station could open as early as 2016 or 2017.

As most of the land acquisition for the section between Shuri and Ishimine is complete or underway, the Naha City, Urasoe City, Okinawa Prefecture, and the project lead have been holding monthly working group meetings to consider ways to accelerate the opening of the Ishimine segment. A conclusion will be reached in December on the new cost and other issues associated with a phased opening.

The working group meetings also discussed a redesign of the trunk bus network on the island, with installation of bus lanes between Naha and Okinawa Cities proposed by the Prefectural Government. However, several issues have been raised with the plan, including slower travel speeds for tourists traveling on roadways (and the associated loss in economic activity), as well as additional personnel needs for traffic control and enforcement. Instead of permanent (24-hour) bus lanes, others have proposed expanding the current system of bus lanes.
Old October 10th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #6234
quashlo

Contractor teams selected for Seibu Shinjuku Line continuous grade separation

Press release:
http://www.seibu-group.co.jp/railway...nformation.pdf

On 2013.10.10, Seibu Railway announced that the civil contractors for the continuous grade-separation (連続立体交差) project for the Seibu Shinjuku Line between Nakai and Nogata had been selected. Construction will last from November to March 2021.

The project, being led by the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government, will grade-separate about 2.4 km of one of Seibu’s two mainlines into central Tōkyō between Nakai and Arai Yakushi-mae Stations, approximately between the west bank of the of the Myōshōji River (妙正寺川) in Kami-Takada 5-chōme, Nakano Ward (中野区上高田5丁目) and the east end of Nogata Station in Nogata 4-chōme. A total of 7 grade crossings will be eliminated, with intermediate stations at Arai Yakushi-mae and Numabukuro being replaced with underground stations. Arai Yakushi-mae will be designed as a two-track, single-island layout, while Numabukuro will be a four-track, two-island layout.

Construction will cover about 2,360 m of the line, of which about 900 m will be in double-bore tunne; amd 600 m in retaining wall or box tunnel.

Old October 10th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #6235
quashlo

Running tests (走行試験) of the new 7300 series for the Yurikamome began on 2013.10.08.
Looks good, and the longitudinal seating should be a welcome capacity boost for the line.

At Ariake:

At Shijō-mae:

Northridge liked this post
Old October 11th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #6236
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
So if that's the case, could JR Hokkaido need some help and relief in terms of rail maintenance and determining which rail lines will it have to ax to trim losses while providing core services to cities like Sapporo, Obihiro, and other key cities on the island? I mean, yes, trains can carry more freight and people per kilometer efficiently than a bus would, but, with the various conditions on the island (especially low density and weather), I sense that Hokkaido might need a more balanced approach between core train services (via the Seikan Tunnel) and augmented regional coach services to cater to the smaller communities in the prefecture... but the goal remains the same: to serve people.
I guess that's inevitable.

Do you think the Japanese Government should step in along with MLIT?

quashlo, what are your thoughts on this?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #6237
Anders_W

Likes (Received): 2

Station interior shots

Thanks to those who have answered my earlier inquiries.

I have just bought a Kato Viaduct Station Set http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003169 and realized that I lack good pictures of the inside of ordinary stations (my photos have been of more specific technical systems, but did not capture much of the 'atmosphere' ).

I would greatly appreciate any pictures or video clips of ordinary stations, particularly the passenger-accessible areas, to be able to paint the model in a more prototypical way before I glue it together.

As can be seen from the model information page, most inner spaces are fully decked out, and I hope to be able to assemble the model in such a way that one will be able to remove the upper floors for a doll's house view of the interior. If possible, I would also like to hide some audio play-back units inside the model, to replicate the constant symphony of electronic chirps and helium-pitched announcements that one invariably faces when entering an urban japanese station building.

Thank You in advance,

Anders
Anders_W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #6238
Milkmaster

Likes (Received): 21

If you go back a few pages, quashlo sometimes posts those kinds of videos underneath articles about station remodeling. From there it's one click to wasting the rest of your day.
Milkmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #6239
quashlo

Tōshiba Solutions provides cloud-based train operations software for Yurikamome

Press release:
http://www.toshiba-sol.co.jp/news/detail/131016.htm

Tōshiba Solutions has supplied SaaS (TrueLine) (『鉄道輸送計画ICTソリューションSaaS(TrueLine®)), a cloud-based train operations and service planning software jointly developed with Tōshiba, to the Tōkyō Waterfront New Transit Rinkai Line (東京臨海新交通臨海線), more commonly known as the Yurikamome. The system began operating on 2013.10.01.

Up until now, railway operators developed their own systems software for service planning, which slightly increases the resulting cost burden to implement such systems. There are existing issues related to service / business continuity (事業継続) following major disasters or long-term service disruptions, as well as security concerns and issues with the the speed and cost of rebuilding efforts following damage to infrastructure. SaaS (TrueLine) takes Tōshiba Solutions expertise in service planning systems and applies a cloud computing solution. Yurikamome is the first client for the software.

The software allows for easy development and manipulation of a line’s run curves, which depend on the profile of the line (curves, grades, tunnels, etc.) and the rolling stock specifications (train formations, power and brake performance, etc.) and ultimately determine the operating schedule for the line.

In the past, developing the run curves has required a lot of “brute force” calculations based on local expertise and operating philosophies, but SaaS (TrueLine) makes it possible to easily develop the curves through a graphical user interface. In particular, the software allows for a better reflection of reality on the Yurikamome, which has somewhat unique brake resistance and other performance factors due to its use of rubber tires instead of steel wheels. The software makes it possible to better plan train operations during inclement weather, as well as simulate the effects of wayside infrastructure improvements. The software can also estimate energy consumption, and when combined with a separate train scheduling software, can help determine an optimum operating plan that minimizes electricity consumption.

Tōshiba Solutions also offers a variety of other programs for transit operators, including software to help plan crew deployment (乗務員/車掌運用), rolling stock deployment and maintenance cycles (車両割当), and GIS-based positioning and operation surveillance (GIS運行監視).

Train formation development:

Run curve development:

Blackraven liked this post
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #6240
quashlo

Fukuoka City Subway records second straight year of surplus
福岡市地下鉄:2年連続の黒字 博多シティ効果続く−−12年度 /福岡

http://mainichi.jp/area/fukuoka/news...20355000c.html

The Fukuoka City Transportation Bureau has announced the FY2012 financial results for the city’s subway operations. In particular, the subway recorded an operating surplus of ¥596 million, with annual ridership for the three-line network increasing about 3.81 million to 137.20 million. Farebox revenue increased about ¥612 million to ¥22.8725 billion, marking the second straight year the subway has come out in the black, although the cumulative deficit still remains at ¥139.2 billion.

According to the Transportation Bureau, the opening of JR Hakata City (JR博多シティ) in spring 2011 and visitor growth at Konoha Mall Hashimoto (木の葉モール橋本) have helped ridership growth, together with increased passenger numbers at Fukuoka Airport (107.5% increase) thanks to low-cost carriers (LCCs).

Approximately 22,100 vehicles made use of the subway’s “park-and-ride” program operated under contract with private parking facilities, while circulation of the city’s Hayakaken IC card increased by 85,000 cards. The original long-range business plan for the subway published in February 2009 called for the subway to begin generating annual surpluses in FY2018, but it has achieved that goal several years ahead of schedule.