daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #6241
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Akita Prefecture debuts new electric bus
県内11企業開発EVバス、路線運行スタート

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/aki...OYT8T01018.htm

A new electric-powered (EV) bus—the “ELEMO-AKITA”—jointly produced by 11 automobile and electrical components firms in Akita Prefecture debuted in regular revenue service on 2013.11.15. Compared to existing buses powered by fossil fuels, the bus produces fewer emissions and also reduces noise and vibration. Similar buses are already in operation in Hamura City in Tōkyō and Komatsu City in Ishikawa Prefecture.

The prototype cost about ¥90 million to produce and features a lot of technologies and amenities being introduced onto buses for the first time, including warning sounds to alert pedestrians to approaching buses (typically used in construction vehicles, but not on buses), as well as special lighting typically used to help promote products at retail stores. The bus also features roof-mounted solar panels and LED lighting.

The route selected for the bus departs from the West Exit bus terminal at JR Akita Station. The bus is capable of running about 36 km, but there is currently only one recharging station at Akita Station, so the bus will be deployed on short distances first, keeping a watchful eye out for the snow season. Eventually, they hope to expand it to more trips and other routes.

===

The West Exit bus terminal at Akita Station was recently completed, and now features some nice wooden shelters made from local Akita cypress:
http://sgicci.exblog.jp/20194368/

The EV bus in operation in Komatsu:

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #6242
quashlo

With the help of JR East, a couple in their 20s (both railfans, of course) held a wedding on board the Yamanote Line on 2013.10.14, officially known as “Railway Day” in Japan (the day the first railway opened in Japan between Shinbashi and Yokohama). The event also commemorated the 50th anniversary of the introduction of green-colored trains onto the Yamanote Line:
http://kotaku.com/getting-married-on...tic-1445487851

This was a special charter-only train, so it wasn’t in regular revenue service, but they spent a full day redecorating the train for the special event. A total of 57 couples applied to be selected for the event.

You usually see this type of promotional stuff on smaller local railways, so it’s interesting to see JR East try it out for a major urban line like the Yamanote Line. Some similar services on larger railways:

Sōtetsu’s “Jazz Train” (2012.07.14):

Randen’s “Monster Train” (2010):

Northridge liked this post
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #6243
quashlo

In more strange news, a song commemorating the start of 5-company through-services on the Fukutoshin Line won an award on Railway Day. It’s called直通線隊ゴセンジャー, a satire on the sentai (戦隊) genre of kids shows (i.e., “Power Rangers”):

Apparently, the Pony Canyon (ポニーキャニオン) label has picked it up and will release a CD next spring.
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #6244
quashlo

The recent Typhoon #26 (Typhoon Wipha), billed as a 100-year storm, resulted in some major disruptions to train services in Greater Tōkyō. Many lines cancelled some services or adapted their schedules to deal with the heavy rains and winds from the storm.

Morning rush hour on 2013.10.16 at Itabashi Station on the Saikyō Line. Debris deposited into the ROW by the wind forced them to halt service at times.

Saikyō Line services were later completely stopped, forcing passengers to switch to alternative routes including the Mita Line, where service north of Moto-Hasunuma was also suspended. After service was restored, trains from Takashimadaira were packed with passengers.

Arrival at Sugamo to attempt to transfer to the Yamanote Line:

At Shinjuku Station, where the stalwart Yamanote Line managed to continued regular operations, but was eventually forced to temporarily suspend services when a window frame from an adjacent residential building fell onto the tracks.

There was also a small landslide on a cut near Keisei Narita Station:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...323441000.html

The track in the recently undergrounded Shimo-Kitazawa Station on the Odakyū Line was also flooded:
http://mainichi.jp/select/news/20131...40203000c.html
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #6245
quashlo

The new rope platform doors in regular service at Tsukimino Station on the Den’en Toshi Line:

I didn’t realize it, but they are also working on installing the system for the Car 10 end of the platform (closer to Chūō Rinkan). I thought it was maybe just one carlength, similar to the “smart” platform doors at Shin-Tokorozawa Station, but it appears they will test this version out on the full length of the platform after completion sometime in spring 2014.
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #6246
quashlo

Ōbayashi JV selected for Jakarta MRT construction contract
大林組など、インドネシアで高速鉄道建設 受注額100億円

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...11C13A0TJ2000/

Quote:
Obayashi Corporation (Head Office: Minato-ku, Tokyo, President: Toru Shiraishi) has been awarded Jakarta MRT Project, surface section CP103 in JV with Shimizu Corporation (Head Office: Chuo-ku, Tokyo, President: Yoichi Miyamoto) and PT. Jaya Konstruksi Manggala Pratama Tbk (Head Office: Jalan Bintaro Raya, Jakarta, President: Trisna Mulyadi).

The project, which is the first MRT (Mass Rapid Transportation) in Indonesia, will connect from the downtown of Jakarta, Bundaran HI, to the southern area, Lebak Bulus (about 15.7km) in order to reduce heavy traffic jam in the Jakarta metropolitan area. This project is funded by the Japanese government through the Official Development Assistance (ODA).

Obayashi contributes to total three sections of the MRT construction projects as it had already been awarded other two subsurface sections of the MRT project, CP104 (about 1.8km), CP105 (about 2.1km), in JV with Shimizu Corporation and other two companies.

Outline of project
Project Name: Construction of Jakarta Mass Rapid Transit Project Surface Section CP103
Client: PT Mass Rapid Transit Jakarta
Service Design, Construction Contract Price: Approx. JPY 10billion
Construction Period (Plan): October 2013 to June 2018 (243 weeks)
JV Partner: Obayashi Corporation (JV Leader) 40%, Shimizu Corporation 40%, PT. Jaya Konstruksi Manggala Pratama Tbk 20%
Project Outline: Viaduct (Length 3.8km, Double track, Width 9.5m, Standard span length 36.7m, Pier height 6.5~12.5m), 4 Stations, 1 Receiving substation building, etc.

Obayashi has many records of transportation system projects and is currently undertaking two projects in Toronto, Canada. We will keep on exploring more opportunities of transportation projects in North America, Middle East and other areas for strategic expansion of our overseas businesses under our Medium Term Business plan 2012.

Contract signing ceremony
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #6247
quashlo

New Seibu Railway CM with actress Yoshitaka Yuriko (吉高由里子) for autumn / winter. This is the second one, after the spring / summer version released earlier this year. Same theme (Chichibu), so nice to see them promoting the area, as Seibu’s original plan was to make Chichibu what Hakone is to Odakyū.

Official website is here:
http://sanpotabi.seibu-ensensanpo.jp/
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #6248
quashlo

JR East’s Niitsu production plant, which specializes in EMUs for the Tōkyō area, held an open house event a few days ago:

Some pictures of under construction E233-7000 series for the Saikyō Line / Kawagoe Line:
http://www.asahi.com/and_M/gallery/2...ef=comtop_list

Some recently completed cars of one set sitting outside the main plant.

The E233-7000 series debuted in June, replacing all of these JNR-era 205 series sets on the line. Looks like they assembled a special four-car formation here for display during the open house. A fair portion of the sets should be heading to Jakarta for a second life on the commuter system there.

An intermediate car (Car 3). The capacity of the wider-bodied E233 sets is 1,564 pax, 10% greater than the 1,424 pax for the 205 series

The underfloor equipment is sparkling new.

Cab

The master controller (マスコン). Forward for acceleration, reverse for deceleration. This is a pretty standard design for JR East’s modern rolling stock.

Right side of the dashboard has the TIMS displays to manage the on-board systems such as AC, destination signs, and passenger information screens.

Cab door. Microphone, door control equipment, and emergency brake valves are provided for use by the conductor.

Svartmetall, Equario, pudgym29 liked this post
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #6249
quashlo

Moving to the train production line… First, the press brake “robot” in charge of bending the stainless steel plates used in the car body into the proper shapes:

The machine fully automates the pressing process, with the robotic arm bending the steel into the designated shapes and then transporting the completed component to the appropriate container.

Bogie assembly plant, where disc brakes and axle equipment are affixed to the bogie frame.

A machine is used to tilt the bogie frame into the appropriate angles to make it easier for the welders to come in and connect pieces.

The spacious car body assembly line, where they assemble the underbody and frame for the cars.

Operator’s cab being assembled.

The walls for the interior car ends. Each weighs about 280 kg.

Roof assembly area. The 1.4 t roof pieces are flipped upside down to allow them to install the necessary car ceiling equipment.

Underbody assembly. Similar to the roof elements, these are flipped upside down to allow them to install the piping and other components. Each weighs about 2.5 t.

A portion of the side wall for a car. The car body is composed of standardized, easy-to-assemble blocks similar to this.

The blocks are then assembled to form the side wall for a single car. The welding of the structural pieces to the exterior paneling is automated.

Attaching a window frame to one of the blocks.

Five blocks are then assembled to form one side of a car. Each five-block side piece weighs 878.5 kg.

Connecting all of the big pieces together gets you the body for the car. At this point, it weighs about 6 t.

Affixing the fiber reinforced plastic “mask” to the cab end.

pudgym29, Abbendymion liked this post
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #6250
quashlo

From here, work begins on the interior furnishings.

The interior assembly line, which attaches all the equipment and paneling to the car body. These are the portions of the windows designed to be open-able.

Wiring under way. They need to pay attention to ensure that the wires do not rub or get dislodged as a result of vibrations caused during regular running.

This line also installs the door control units, the exterior PA speakers, and the destination signs.

With standee stirrups in place and a completed roof:

From here, they move to the overhead luggage racks and the seat frames and partitions.

Passenger information LCDs. The signs tell workers to be extra careful when removing the plastic films protecting the screens… They need to be removed slowly, over the course of 10 seconds or more.

Like the existing 205 series trains on the line, the E233-7000 series comes with surveillance cameras on Car 1 to prevent groping. This line is infamously overcrowded, and the stopping patterns and station-to-station distances had made it a popular choice among perps.

Svartmetall, Equario, pudgym29 liked this post
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #6251
quashlo

This is where the operators’ equipment comes in. Each of these stations has about 400 cables.

Where it will go:

After installation. This is about 500 kg worth of equipment.

A completed intermediate car

Builder’s plate

From here, the completed train will be hauled via legacy network from Niigata to Tōkyō.

Svartmetall, pudgym29 liked this post
Old October 19th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #6252
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6995

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post

The master controller (マスコン). Forward for acceleration, reverse for deceleration. This is a pretty standard design for JR East’s modern rolling stock.
Should be opposite. Forward - break, backward - acceleration.
Old October 19th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #6253
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

The Niitsu assembly line is going to be very busy because I see JR East will retire a LOT of older trainsets (205, 209, 211, etc.) so by the time of the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics, they'll all be mostly E231 or E233 trainsets. And that's in addition to replacing all the 115's in the Niigata area with E129's and the possibility we may see the 115's on the Chūō Main Line between Takao and Shiojiri Station replaced by something akin to the E129.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #6254
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
Should be opposite. Forward - break, backward - acceleration.
Why? That seems counterintuitive to me... Forwards if you want to go forwards, backwards if you want to stop going forwards. Seems to make sense to me. Why would the opposite make sense?
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #6255
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6995

That's how it goes on trains.
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #6256
quashlo

Nanbu Line grade-separation between Inadazutsumi and Fuchū Honmachi to be completed 2013.12.23
南武線稲田堤~府中本町間、12月23日から全面高架化

http://response.jp/article/2013/10/20/208907.html

On 2013.10.18, the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government’s Construction Bureau and JR East’s Hachiōji office announced that the track switchout for the inbound track of Phase 2 of the continuous grade-separation of the Nambu Line between Inadazutsumi and Fuchū Honmachi would take place before the start of service on 2013.12.23. With the switchout to the elevated track, this segment of the line will be completely elevated.

This project is being led by the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government and was executed in two separate phases: Phase 1 encompassing about 1.9 km around Yanokuchi Station and Phase 2 encompassing about 2.4 km from the Yanokuchi end of Inagi Naganuma Station to the Fuchū Honmachi end of Minami-Tama Station. Elevation for Phase 1 was completed in October 2005, eliminating 8 grade crossings. Phase 2 is partially complete, with the outbound track elevated in December 2011. The final switchout taking place this December will completely grade-separate the line on this section, eliminating 7 grade crossings.

Train service between Yanokuchi and Fuchū Honmachi will be suspended starting 18:30 on 2013.12.22 and replaced with bus service. Service on the Nambu Line will be provided in three separate segments operating independently (Kawasaki – Noborito, Noborito – Yanokuchi, and Fuchū Honmachi – Tachikawa). While service will mostly remain unaffected on the Kawasaki – Noborito section, Noborito – Yanokuchi will be operated single-track at 35- to 45-minute headways. Fuchū Honmachi – Tachikawa will be operated at 25- to 35-minute headways.

Work will still continue after the track switchout to add tracks at Inagi Naginuma Station, converting it to a two-island, four-track layout by spring 2015.

Under-construction Inagi Naganuma Station:

===

Busy grade crossing activity at Inadazutsumi during the morning rush hour, with a bus trying to force its way through.

Good to see the Nambu Line getting some attention. This, plus the E233 series, should be welcome improvements… A lot of major projects tend to focus on the trunk lines coming out of central Tōkyō, so JR East’s three main circumferential lines—Yokohama Line, Nambu Line, and Musashino Line—have not gotten the investments they deserve. Morning rush hour on the Nambu Line:

pudgym29, fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #6257
quashlo

Platform door update for the Yamanote Line… Units recently began operating at Shin-Ōkubo Station:

Clips of the platform doors at Tōkyū Ōimachi Station, which have embedded LCD units for passenger information. I’m actually a little bit surprised JR East went with such a comparatively rudimentary design for the Yamanote Line units.

Old October 20th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #6258
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
I’m actually a little bit surprised JR East went with such a comparatively rudimentary design for the Yamanote Line units.
It could be because the Oimachi Station installation was partly funded by a pilot Tokyo Metropolitan government plan to test the effectiveness of such systems- in this case the cost was covered 1/3 by the national govt, and 1/6 by the Tokyo Metropolitan govt. and Shinagawa Ward.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #6259
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

I don't think this has been posted here, but here is a quite amazing view of the construction at Tokyo Station:

Really love the work going on here. It looks incredible!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #6260
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Another perspective, during the daylight hours:
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote