daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #6281
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Rail, bus firms get green light for raising fares in 1-yen increments
http://mainichi.jp/english/english/n...bu064000c.html

Quote:
TOKYO (Kyodo) -- The government has decided to allow rail and bus operators to raise fares in increments of 1 yen for users of smart cards following the consumption tax hike next April, officials said Tuesday.

For those who pay in cash, fares will be raised in 10-yen increments. Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Minister Akihiro Ota said at a news conference that a "double fare" structure should be approved to correctly reflect the tax hike.

The decision means that after the sales tax rate is raised to 8 percent from the current 5 percent, smart card users, for example, will be charged 154 yen for fares currently set at 150 yen, while passengers paying in cash will be charged 160 yen.

While railway operators in the Tokyo metropolitan area, including East Japan Railway Co., will introduce the new fare structure, their counterparts in the Kinki region centering on Osaka have shown no interest in introducing it so far.

JR East will consider introducing it also in areas surrounding Sendai and Niigata.

The utilization rate of smart cards stands at around 80 percent in the Tokyo metropolitan area and at around 40 percent in the Kinki region, according to the transport ministry.
===

MLIT press release:
http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/s...hh_000072.html

Will be interesting to see how this works out for JR East. There are some precedents for fare structures with two (or more) tiers, such as surcharges for peak-hour travel or paper ticket use, but I’m not aware of any that charge to the smallest-value coin in circulation.

FNN news report:

ANN news report:

pudgym29 liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #6282
quashlo

JR East to establish Suica-powered bikesharing at Chūō Line stations
「スイカ」で自転車シェア、JR東子会社が中央線2駅で

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...21C13A0L83000/

jeki (ジェイアール東日本企画), a JR East subsidiary, announced that it would launch a bikesharing system at two stations on the JR Chūō Main Line starting 2013.11.03. The system, called Suicle (スイクル), will be rolled out at Musashi-sakai and Higashi-Koganei Stations, and managed through the Suica and PASMO IC farecard systems.

Pods will be constructed underneath the recently elevated Chūō Line viaduct (completed in November 2010), as well as outside the Tōkyō University of Agriculture and Technology’s Nature and Science Museum (東京農工大学科学博物館) in Koganei City, Tōkyō Prefecture. Bikes will be available 24 hours a day, all-year round. Users register with their Suica or PASMO card, and can then take out and return bikes by touching their card to the pod readers. Fees will be structured into three tiers: monthly (¥2,500), one-time (¥100 for the first 30 minutes, plus ¥100 for every hour thereafter), and daily (¥500).

===

Good to see this, as it’s a natural extension of transit IC farecards and a good reuse of space freed up in grade-separation projects.

A promo video for Sendai’s bikesharing system:

Svartmetall, pudgym29 liked this post
Old November 4th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #6283
quashlo

JR East, Marubeni, Tōshiba win Bangkok MRT Purple Line contract
http://www.france24.com/en/20131103-...system-bangkok

Quote:
A Japanese consortium will build an urban transit system in Bangkok, as part of Japan's drive to expand exports of railway infrastructure to the rest of Asia, a report said Sunday.

East Japan Railway, trading house Marubeni and electronics giant Toshiba have landed the deal, at an estimated price of around 40 billion yen ($405 million), the business daily Nikkei reported.

Under the deal, ordered by Bangkok Metro Public Co., the consortium will construct a new 23-kilometre (14-mile) rail line in the Thai capital, the daily said, adding the rail operation is set to start in 2016.

The Japanese group will supply 63 train cars and build the power grid, signals and rail yards as well as 16 stations for the project.

It will also provide maintenance services under a 10-year contract and about 20 technicians with operational expertise will be stationed in Bangkok, the report said.

Japanese railway operators are expected to broaden their reach overseas by joining forces with heavy-industry manufacturers and trading houses to promote comprehensive services, Nikkei said.

East Japan Railway will aim now to win a contract to build a high-speed train line between Malaysia and Singapore, the report said.

Another Japanese train operator, Central Japan Railway, has already provided technology for renovating the automatic train control system of Taiwan's super-express train service, Nikkei said.

Meanwhile, Tokyo Metro, which runs an intricate subway network in the Japanese capital, has been cooperating in an urban train project in Hanoi, the daily said.
I assume JR East (J-TREC) and Tōshiba will be responsible for the rolling stock… I think this would be J-TREC’s first overseas order since the changeover from Tōkyū Car Company. Perhaps they will market this as part of their “sustina” model:

Old November 4th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #6284
quashlo

Nippon Kōei consortium likely consultant for Dhaka Metro
http://www.thedailystar.net/beta2/ne...me-consultant/

Quote:
The government is going to appoint a consortium led by Nippon Koei Company, a Japanese firm, as consultant for Dhaka Mass Rapid Transit Development Project.

A proposal for awarding the contract will be placed for approval at the meeting of the Cabinet committee on purchase today.

The Japanese company will get Tk 928.17 crore to complete the project by 2024.

The consortium’s other members include Nippon Koei India, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation, Mott Macdonald Ltd, UK; Mott Macdonald, India; and Development Design and Consultants Ltd of Bangladesh.

Nippon Koei Company will work in three phases. In the pre-construction phase, the firm will manage the project and provide engineering services.

During the construction, it will supervise the construction and provide training for operation and maintenance, among other tasks. In the post-construction phase, it will monitor and advise the operation and maintenance, among other works.

Nippon Koei Company was selected from a short-list of three consortiums after taking a no objection report from Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica), said a communications ministry official.

The government later disqualified the consortium’s deputy team leader after evaluating the experience of the deputy leaders of the two other consortiums following questions raised by a non-government organisation.

Jica will provide Tk 16,594 crore of the estimated Tk 21,985 crore project cost. The government will bear the rest.

The elevated 20.1 kilometre metro rail, having 16 stations and one depot, will run from Uttara Third Phase to Bangladesh Bank via Pallabi, Rokeya Sarani, Khamar Bari, Farmgate, Hotel Sonargaon, Shahbagh, Teacher-Student Centre (TSC), Doyel Chattar and Topkhana Road.

Later, the tracks will be extended up to Sayedabad from Bangladesh Bank via Atish Dipankar Road.
Old November 4th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #6285
quashlo

A video report on the major upgrades to Hanshin Kōshien Station (2013.10). The ¥5.4 billion project involves a complete redesign of the track / platform layout, eliminating the alighting-only platform in the inbound direction (for Ōsaka Umeda and Namba) and taking the freed-up space to widen the other platforms. They are also implementing barrier-free access improvements including elevators at the west end of the platforms, constructing a new West Exit ticketing hall, and carrying out a general renovation of the station.

Some pictures:
http://response.jp/article/2013/10/14/208477.html

Render:

Pre-improvements layout:

After 2013.10.26:

Ultimate:

Svartmetall liked this post
Old November 4th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #6286
quashlo

ekimo Namba (エキモなんば), the next phase of the Ōsaka Municipal Subway’s venture into station retail, opened on 2013.10.31. The retail facility comprises a total of 19 stores, spread across the north ticketing hall (11 stores) and central / south ticketing hall (8 stores).

Photo slideshow on opening day:

Old November 4th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #6287
quashlo

Ex-Tōkyū 8590 series (Ōimachi Line) began revenue service on the Toyama Chihō Railroad as 17480 series on 2013.11.03. The exterior is unchanged from Ōimachi Line colors… No need to waste paint, plus it will attract Tōkyū railfans from Tōkyō who will want to visit to see ex-Tōkyū stock still in service.

Old November 4th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #6288
quashlo

Track switchout for Hotei Station elevation project
名鉄、布袋駅高架化工事で上り線を仮線に切替…10月26日

http://response.jp/article/img/2013/...05/612238.html

Between 2013.10.25 and 2013.10.26, Nagoya Railroad (Meitetsu) carried out a track switchout for the grade-separation (elevation) works at Hotei Station (Kōnan City, Aichi Prefecture) on the Inuyama Line. This particular switchout involved connecting a temporary shoo-fly track in the inbound direction.

The project covers about 1.8 km of the Inuyama Line tracks through Kōnan City, from Tashirochō to Hoteichō, and involves elevating about 1.4 km of the line, eliminating 6 grade crossings. Work began on the temporary tracks in FY2009, with the switchout for the outbound track taking place in October 2012. With the switchout of the inbound track, the railway will now focus on the viaduct to carry the permanent tracks.

===

A view of the station before the switchout:

Temporary outbound platform:

Original inbound platform:

After the switchout:

Old November 4th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #6289
quashlo

JR East Group released their new business vision, and it contains some interesting new objectives:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20131019.pdf

Specifically:

今後の羽田空港の利用客増加を見据えた、空港アクセス改善策の検討
Consideration of improvements to airport access in preparation for increased passenger volume at Haneda Airport

ホームドア第2期整備計画の策定において、工費圧縮や工期短縮により、山手線の整備費用と比較して約2割のコストダウンを目標とする。
Aiming for a 20% cost reduction in installation of platform doors on existing lines compared Yamanote Line project costs through value engineering and acceleration of construction schedule.

2016年度末までに計画の約8割の完了をめざす
新幹線高架橋(約8,640本)、高さ8m以上の盛土(11箇所)、駅・ホームの壁(約60駅)など
の耐震補強対策は100%完了予定
Completion of about 80% of our seismic retrofit plan by FY2016 close, including 100% of the work on Shinkansen viaducts (about 8,460 columns), embankments over 8 m in height (11 locations) and station and platform walls (about 60 stations).

御茶ノ水駅付近盛土の耐震補強工事の推進(2016年度完了予定)
Completion of seismic retrofit works on the embankment near Ochanomizu Station by FY2016.

お客さまがいつでも必要な情報を取得できるよう、スマホ向け情報配信アプリを開発
Development of smartphone applications to provide passengers with access to important information any time

中央ラインモールプロジェクトの積極展開
⇒ 東小金井SCの開業、コンシェルジュ設置
Active expansion of the Chūō Line Mall project (opening of a new shopping center at Higashi-Koganei and deployment of concierge stations)

日本のLRT市場におけるALSTOM社との連携強化とさらなる協業の拡大に向けた検討
Strengthening our alliance with Alstom in the Japanese LRT market and considering further expansion of cooperative business efforts

Old November 5th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #6290
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

-Doh-

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Why don't you PDF it and host it somewhere?
Why did I not think of that?
I have free server space I can utilize.
Download "Japan Jaunt" freely here.
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #6291
quashlo

Official groundbreaking for Okinawa monorail extension
モノレール延長着工 首里から4駅新設

http://article.okinawatimes.co.jp/ar...13-11-03_56124

The official groundbreaking for the 4.1 km, four-station Yui Rail extension from its current terminus at Shuri Station to the Nishihara (西原) interchange on the Okinawa Expressway (沖縄自動車道) was held on 2013.11.02. It’s been 32 years since the vision for a monorail from Naha Airport to Nishihara was incorporated into the Okinawa Prefecture Transport Framework Master Plan (県総合交通体系基本計画) in FY1981. New stations will be constructed at Ishimine (石嶺), Kyōzuka (経塚), Maeda (前田), and Uranishi (浦西).

Column construction will begin on the Shuri – Ishimine and Kyōzuka – Maeda sections this fiscal year, with trial runs starting in FY2018. While the line is scheduled for a full opening in spring 2019, the Prefectural Government is still looking at a potential phased opening, with the Shuri – Ishimine opening earlier. Total project cost is ¥35.0 billion, ¥23.1 billion of which will go towards construction of columns and station buildings, with the remaining ¥11.9 billion for station interiors, TVMs, and other elements. A park-and-ride structure containing about 1,000 spaces will be built at Uranishi Station near the expressway interchange to attract residents in north central Okinawa who normally drive.

===

Ryūkyū Shinpō video of the groundbreaking:

Old November 5th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #6292
quashlo

JR West, Kintetsu, Nankai to begin offering IC joint commuter passes
JR西日本・近鉄と南海、連絡IC定期券を発売…2014年春から

http://response.jp/article/2013/11/05/210040.html

On 2013.11.01, JR West, Kinki Nippon Railroad (Kintetsu), and Nankai Electric Railway announced that they will begin offering IC card joint commuter passes starting in spring 2014. Joint commuter passes on IC cards are already available between JR West and Kintetsu, but this will be a first for commuters using both JR West and Nankai or both Kintetsu and Nankai.

For JR West / Nankai users, JR West will offer the passes for ICOCA and SMART ICOCA cards, while Nankai will offer it for PiTaPa cards. For Kintetsi / Nankai users, Kintetsu will offer the passes for ICOCA and KIPS ICOCA cards, while Nankai will offer it for PiTaPa cards.
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #6293
quashlo

FY2012 ridership numbers for major Tōkyō area operators

Train-Media.net recently released its compiled FY2012 daily ridership report for the major railway operators in the Tōkyō area.

Ridership has pretty much recovered from the earthquake and tsunami, which depressed passenger numbers in FY2011. The increases on the Narita Airport lines (Keisei Narita Airport Line and JR Narita Airport Line) are particularly apparent. Tōkyō Metro and Toei Subway also showed huge gains, with the Fukutoshin Line posting double-digit growth, although it is still the lowest-ridership line in the system. Hanzōmon Line, Isesaki Line, and Asakusa Line also posted high growth, probably a result of the Sky Tree opening in Oshiage.

Code:
Line                       Total  Change
Keihin Electric Express Railway     
  Main Line            1,122,945    1.0%
  Airport Line           153,028    1.1%
  Daishi Line             67,726  ( 0.1%)
  Zushi Line              42,798    0.9%
  Kurihama Line          120,521  ( 0.7%)
  ALL LINES            1,200,453    1.0%
    (excluding duplicate ridership)

Tōkyō Metro 
  Ginza Line           1,038,601    3.2%
  Marunouchi Line      1,135,853    4.3%
  Hibiya Line          1,081,526    0.7%
  Tōzai Line           1,321,870    0.0%
  Chiyoda Line         1,126,387  ( 0.4%)
  Yūrakuchō Line         958,973    3.4%
  Hanzōmon Line          896,738    4.4%
  Namboku Line           464,052    3.3%
  Fukutoshin Line        366,094   10.9%
  ALL LINES            6,435,379    2.0%

Keisei Electric Railway
  Main Line              500,575    2.0%
  Higashi-Narita Line        886 (  4.1%)
  Oshiage Line           132,676    3.2%
  Kanamachi Line          16,568    0.4%
  Chiba Line              40,715    2.6%
  Chihara Line            10,299    2.6%
  Narita Airport Line     13,858   17.3%
  ALL LINES              715,577    2.5%

Tōbu Railway
  Isesaki Line           869,255    4.5%
  Kameido Line            23,931    3.2%
  Daishi Line              6,700    1.2%
  Sano Line                3,891    1.0%
  Koizumi Line             2,824    7.0%
  Ōta Line                   189   12.2%
  Kiryū Line               3,683    6.5%
  Nikkō Line              43,615    3.3%
  Utsunomiya Line         11,941    1.9%
  Kinugawa Line            2,700   11.0%
  Noda Line              458,596    2.7%
  Tōjō Line              961,288    1.8%
  Ogose Line              19,719    2.9%
  ALL LINES            2,408,329    3.0%

Seibu Railway
  Ikebukuro Line         901,259    1.9%
  Shinjuku Line          944,605    1.2%
  ALL LINES            1,699,940    1.7%

Keiō Corporation
  Keiō Line            1,345,908    0.9%
  Inokashira Line        554,758    1.8%
  ALL LINES            1,727,940    1.1%

Odakyū Electric Railway
  Odawara Line         1,512,827    1.9%
  Enoshima Line          384,204    2.6%
  Tama Line               79,615    2.8%
  ALL LINES            1,936,296    2.1%

Tōkyū Corporation
  Tōyoko Line          1,145,592    2.8%
  Meguro Line            332,590    2.6%
  Den'en Toshi Line    1,188,720    2.2%
  Ōimachi Line           453,253    3.3%
  Ikegami Line           222,449    2.6%
  Tamagawa Line          143,646    1.7%
  Kodomo-no-Kuni Line     12,721    9.9%
  ALL LINES            2,929,839    2.5%

East Japan Railway Company (FY2008)        Section
  Tōkaidō Line         4,135,446    1.9%   Tōkyō - Hiratsuka
  Nambu Line             767,827    2.6%   ALL
  Tsurumi Line            44,484    1.0%   ALL
  Yokohama Line          828,515    1.5%   Higashi-Kanagawa - Hachiōji
  Negishi Line           569,610    1.4%   Yokohama - Ōfuna
  Yokosuka Line          192,364    2.9%   Ōfuna - Kurihama
  Sagami Line             96,542    4.2%   ALL
  Chūō Line            3,158,263    1.3%   Tōkyō - Takao
  Musashino Line         898,893    2.5%   ALL
  Ōme Line               287,194    1.0%   Tachikawa - Okutama
  Itsukaichi Line         47,068    1.4%   Haijima - Musashi Itsukaichi
  Hachikō Line            64,764    2.8%   Hachiōji - Ogose
  Tōhoku Line          3,472,235    1.7%   Tōkyō - Kurihashi
  Takasaki Line          389,189    0.8%   Ōmiya - Fukiage
  Kawagoe Line           148,246    1.9%   Ōmiya - Komagawa
  Saikyō Line            414,304    2.5%   Akabane - Ōmiya
  Jōban Line           1,125,391    0.9%   Nippori - Ushiku
  Narita Line             83,145    2.8%   Abiko - Sakura
  Narita Branch Line       9,983  ( 0.3%)  Narita - Kusumi
  Narita Airport Line     20,575   15.4%   Narita - Narita Airport
  Sōbu Line            1,723,252    0.8%   Tōkyō - Yachimata
  Sotobō Line            263,991    1.4%   Chiba - Honda
  Uchibō Line            115,378    0.9%   Soga - Hamano
  Keiyō Line             616,493    3.5%   ALL
  Yamanote Line        3,744,561    1.8%   Tabata - Shinagawa
  Akabane Line           779,534    2.0%   Ikebukuro - Akabane
  Sōbu Branch Line     1,144,854    0.6%  Kinshichō - Ochanomizu
  ALL LINES           15,424,317    1.7%

Tōkyō Metropolitan Bureau of Transportation
  Asakusa Line           635,486    4.9%
  Mita Line              573,146    3.5%
  Shinjuku Line          665,377    1.7%
  Ōedo Line              825,666    5.8%
  ALL LINES            2,699,674    4.1%

Sagami Railway
  Main Line              595,905    0.3%
  Izumino Line            96,740  ( 0.2%)
TOTAL                    618,178    0.4%

Old November 5th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #6294
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8774

Good to see there was a good degree of growth on all companies and nearly every line. The TOEI Subway in particular seems to have a good level of growth. Was there any particular reason for this do you think?

For Seibu, is there a reason the smaller lines were not counted?
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #6295
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
The TOEI Subway in particular seems to have a good level of growth. Was there any particular reason for this do you think?
The Toei Asakusa Line likely benefited from the opening of the Tokyo Sky Tree development, its station at Oshiage directly serves that attraction.

The Oedo Line serves the high growth area around the Tokyo waterfront (Shiodome, Tsukishima, etc.), many new developments and housing are being built there, driving traffic growth- AM rush loads are at 178% capacity for the stretch between Tsukishima and Monzen Nakacho.

k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:56 AM   #6296
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
For Seibu, is there a reason the smaller lines were not counted?
Some operators do not report data at the lowest-line level. Seibu is one of them, as is Keiō. Instead, they choose to report data at the mainline level, where the branches and other minor lines are grouped under the parent mainline.

For Seibu, the Chichibu Line, Yūrakuchō Line, Toshima Line, Sayama Line, and Yamaguchi Line are grouped under the Ikebukuro Line, while the Seibu-en, Haijima Line, Kokubunji Line, Tamako Line, and Tamagawa Line are grouped under the Shinjuku Line. For Keiō, the Inokashira Line has no branches, so everything is grouped under the Keiō Line.

Old November 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #6297
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8774

Thanks for your answers both of you. Lets hope that the growth in patronage of the subway systems shows there is still room for growth of the system despite claiming it is "finished". Always a few gaps to fill after all.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #6298
quashlo

205 series Saikyō Line trains bound for Jakarta
http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/...s-rail-system/

Quote:
Jakarta’s wizened commuter trains will soon be replaced by secondhand rolling stock from Japan.

Thirty trains arrived on Sunday at Tanjung Priok Port to help replace the older models currently serving the capital’s commuter line, an executive from the line’s operator said.

Tri Handoyo, the managing director of KAI Commuter Jakarta (KCJ), said on Monday that another 20 trains would follow this delivery to further bolster the carrying capacity of the Greater Jakarta commuter rail system.

Speaking at a press conference in Jakarta, Tri insisted that despite being used for years in Japan, the trains were more than fit to serve Jakarta’s rail network.

“These type 205 trains only stopped operating in Japan two weeks ago. We immediately took them, so they’re not junk,” he said, adding that the trains were the best option for Indonesia today.

Tri also said that with proper maintenance, the trains could be used safely for the next 20 years. “We will take good care of them,” he said.

Tri added that the type 205 train was also chosen because it could accommodate a larger number of passengers compared to the current trains operating in Jakarta due its internal configuration.

“So in the morning, if the train is full, the seats can be folded so that all passengers will stand,” he said, adding the seats in the women-only carriages would not be folded, to allow pregnant passengers to sit.

According to a report by Republika, KCJ bought up to 308 train cars between 2009 and 2012.

The train procurement program is part of the government’s plan to provide 160 new trains annually until the end of 2019, in line with its target to transport 1.2 million passengers daily by the same year.

Tri noted that the government had focused on buying trains from Japan because the country was one of the few in the world using train tracks with the same gauge as in Indonesia.

“Countries with compatible trains include Japan, New Zealand and some countries in Africa. Even African countries buy their trains from Japan,” Tri said.

He added that KCJ could have opted to purchase brand new trains from Europe or China, but that would have resulted in drastic increases in ticket prices.

“The prices could be 12 times more expensive compared to the used trains. We chose to go with the cheaper option so that it would fit with the Rp 9,000 [79 cent] train fare from Jakarta to Bogor,” he said.
===

We already knew this, but the first trains have now arrived in their second home.

Official press release:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20131104.pdf

The other interesting tidbit is that JR East will be providing direct technical assistance in training and maintenance tasks, their first time conducting such efforts overseas. The railway will send about 10 technicians responsible for rolling stock maintenance for the Saikyō Line to Indonesia to provide assistance on fleet maintenance, trial running, and confirmation that the equipment is functioning properly, as well as regular inspections.

There are conflicting reports on the total number of cars in the order, but Nikkei says 180 (so 18 sets).

Local video report:

A ride on a former JR East 103 series train in Jakarta:

Abbendymion liked this post
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #6299
quashlo

Marubeni and Tōshiba have also released official English press releases on the recent Bangkok Purple Line win:
http://www.marubeni.com/news/2013/release/00059.html
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press...20131106-2845e

As suspected, J-TREC will supply the rolling stock.

More details on the 10-year maintenance contract:

Quote:
Under a 10-year contract with BMCL, Marubeni and Toshiba will provide maintenance service for the rolling stock and the Purple Line’s electrical systems. The two companies, with JR East, will establish a maintenance service company in Bangkok to provide BMCL with support and services.

The Purple Line will be the first line in the Bangkok rail network to deploy Japanese rolling stock, and also the first overseas project where a Japanese team will deliver long-term maintenance services for a railway line. Marubeni has successfully delivered full turnkey rail systems in Venezuela, the Philippines and Dubai, and Toshiba has experience that includes developing the management system for Taiwan High Speed Rail,and JR East has expertise in reliable railway technology and services. This team will contribute to solving Bangkok’s traffic issue by providing technologies for the Purple Line.
I think the point about long-term maintenance contracts was mis-translated, as this would only be the first time that a Japanese railway operator (in this case, JR East) will be providing such services. Hitachi is already doing this in the UK for the Javelin stock, I believe, but they are not a railway operator. Hopefully this will be the start of a very successful side business for JR East, as they are imminently qualified in urban and high-speed rail operations… With the announcement that they will open another overseas office in London, I wouldn’t be surprised if they begin bidding on concessions to operate some of the National Rail franchises in the UK.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #6300
quashlo

An open house event was held on 2013.11.02 at Toyosu Station to showcase the new 7300 series trains for the Yurikamome. A vast improvement over the current stock, including a seat layout change from transverse to longitudinal seating, new overhead baggage racks, and four-language LCDs and PA system. The new trains will enter service in January.

Tōkyō MX news report:

A more thorough tour of the train: