daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2013, 02:26 AM   #6521
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

New 7000 series enters service for Jōshin Electric Railway

Been meaning to get this out of the backlog queue, but I’ve been busy…

This is a new series manufactured expressly for the Jōshin Electric Railway (上信電鉄), a small, local private railway in Gunma out of Takasaki Station. This particular series is notable as it’s not secondhand stock from one of the larger private railways but an all-new series produced just for Jōshin, their first all-new series since the 6000 series was introduced 32 years ago. Most local private railways (地方私鉄) prefer to purchase discounted secondhand stock that is being phased out from the larger metropolitan areas as it cuts down on costs, but funding for this new series was provided by national, prefectural, and local governments, in preparation for the Summer 2014 designation of the Tomioka Silk Mill (富岡製糸場) near Jōshū Tomioka Station (上州富岡駅) as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The 7000 series bears a hard-to-miss resemblance to many of the ex-Seibu trains that currently operate on the railway, but includes modern features such as LED destination signs, LED passenger information scrolls, and LCD fare tables. This is Jōshin’s first VVVF trainset. Manufacturer was Niigata Transys (新潟トランシス製造). Currently there is only a single 2-car formation, which entered service on 2013.12.03.

Clips outside and inside (2013.12.08).
It’s currently dressed in factory white, but will get a repainting soon with the help of local high school students.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2013, 06:20 AM   #6522
quashlo

Some more clips of E233-6000 series cars for the Yokohama Line stashed away in Niitsu. At this rate, it may not be much longer before the first complete set is assembled and delivered to the Tōkyō area for testing and burn-in.

I donít think JR East has made a formal announcement, but I would expect this series to be all 4-door cars, meaning the six-door cars on the line will disappear, just as they did on the KeihinĖTōhoku Line with the arrival of the E233-1000 series and will on the Saikyō Line with the arrival of the E233-7000 series:

Ex-Saikyō Line 205 series set in testing in Jakarta, still in original 10-car formation with 2 six-door cars:

k.k.jetcar, fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:57 AM   #6523
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

With the introduction of the E233's to the Yokohama Line, I may actually get nostalgic about the 205's, unimaginable up to now
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 09:00 AM   #6524
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
New Tōkyō Metro CM
Extra points for naming the location of that last scene.
Old December 31st, 2013, 08:29 PM   #6525
quashlo

Well, I'll give someone else the chance to guess...
I take it this is a trainspotting location for you?
Old December 31st, 2013, 11:48 PM   #6526
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
With the introduction of the E233's to the Yokohama Line, I may actually get nostalgic about the 205's, unimaginable up to now
I don't think the Japanese who ride the 205's on the overcrowded Saikyo Line and Yokohama Line will miss the 205's. In fact, they'll welcome the wider carriages of the E233's.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:19 AM   #6527
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Well, I'll give someone else the chance to guess...
I take it this is a trainspotting location for you?
Nah, the better spot for that is just downline, it's where I took my last ride on a 203 series, with their turbojet sound...
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:30 AM   #6528
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

Just a wild guess - is this where the Chiyoda line meets the Odakyu line, looking east?

The video quality is good SD but certainly not HD for me...
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 07:48 AM   #6529
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Just a wild guess - is this where the Chiyoda line meets the Odakyu line, looking east?

The video quality is good SD but certainly not HD for me...
Yes, it is the section between Yoyogi Hachiman and Yoyogiuehara in Shibuya Ward.
Old January 1st, 2014, 07:59 PM   #6530
quashlo

Didnít realize this, but Tōkyō Metro has a special website up to promote the renovation work at Ōtemachi:
http://www.eki-metro.jp/otemachi/

Ōtemachi is the largest interchange on the Tōkyō Metro network, connecting four Tōkyō Metro lines (Marunouchi Line, Tōzai Line, Chiyoda Line, Hanzōmon Line) in a square shape, plus one Toei Subway line (Mita Line). The stationís unusual square configuration is a necessary outcome of building lines beneath the rectangular street grid in this part of the metropolis, but it can make it confusing and tiresome to navigate or make transfers between lines, particularly in contrast to some of the large JR terminals where the platforms are all parallel and side-by-side.

Ōtemachi is one of the major business / office districts around Tōkyō Station, together with Marunouchi, Yūrakuchō, and Nihonbashi, and a lot of high-profile companies have headquarters here. There are also some ongoing redevelopment projects, and JRís recent restoration of the Marunouchi Station Building and upgrades to the Yaesu Exit at Tōkyō Station, along with the huge new JP Tower project (JPタワー), has Tōkyō Metroís largest interchange looking relatively grungy in comparison.

The theme of the renovation is ď東京の真ん中で、新しいメトロがはじまっています。Ē, meaning ďA new Metro has begun in the heart of Tōkyō.Ē

Station layout, highlighting some of the major changes. Most of the project involves beautification work, but there are some circulation improvements, including widening of passages and new stairwells, escalators, and elevators, mostly concentrated on the Tōzai Line side of the station.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old January 1st, 2014, 08:01 PM   #6531
quashlo

Post-renovation renders.
It doesn’t appear that they have anything planned for the Hanzōmon Line side of the station, but this opened in 1989 and is the newest part of the station… The other parts were completed much earlier—1956 for Marunouchi Line, 1966 for Tōzai Line, and 1969 for Chiyoda Line. Scheduled completion of the renovation works is 2016.

Chiyoda Line
The design will feature wood-grain elements, reminiscent of the abundant trees surrounding the nearby Imperial Palace (皇居).

Platforms

Ticketing hall and faregates

Concourse level open space (広間)

Marunouchi Line
The theme here will be brick, drawing from the many historic buildings in this part of Tōkyō.

Platforms

Ticketing hall and faregates

Concourse level open space

Old January 1st, 2014, 08:02 PM   #6532
quashlo

Tōzai Line
The theme here will be glass, drawing from the glass curtain walls of the skyscrapers around the station.

Platforms

Central ticketing hall and faregates

West ticketing hall and faregates

Mezzanine level (B2F) passage

Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:57 AM   #6533
quashlo

Last remaining 101 series to be removed from service
旧国鉄の電車101系完全引退へ 高度成長期の通勤支え

http://www.kahoku.co.jp/news/2013/12...3001001747.htm

The last of the once-common JNR 101 series, the workhorse of the commuter EMU fleets in the Greater Tōkyō and Kansai regions during Japan’s post-war economic miracle, will be taken off revenue duties in March 2014. Currently, the only railway to still operate them in regular revenue service is the Chichibu Railway in northwestern Tōkyō, but the series will finally be decommissioned for good due to age.

A symbol of Shōwa Era railway history, the 101 series first debuted in 1957, featuring improvements in ride comfort and noise and renowned among passengers for their smooth acceleration. While the majority of the trains were brown, the 101 series was the first to feature unique color paint schemes for each line, a tradition that continues among JR successor companies like JR East to this day.

===

The last three trains in operation on the Chichibu Railway, in sky blue, original livery, and vermillion orange (Chūō Line colors). Apparently, the sky blue set was retired on 2013.10.12, so there’s only two left in revenue service.

Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:47 PM   #6534
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
I don't think the Japanese who ride the 205's on the overcrowded Saikyo Line and Yokohama Line will miss the 205's. In fact, they'll welcome the wider carriages of the E233's.
I know *I* won't. Totally sucks when you're having to take a crowded one of these...

Sent from my SC-04E using Tapatalk
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 08:42 PM   #6535
quashlo

A YouTube uploader is making an extremely detailed scale model of the Tōyoko Line / Fukutoshin Line Shibuya Station. Pretty neat.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:03 AM   #6536
quashlo

A closer look at the experimental platform doors installed at the Car 2 position on Platform 4 at Toyosu Station on the Tōkyō Metro Yūrakuchō Line. These are now in regular operation, and were manufactured by the same firm as the existing platform doors: Kyōsan (京三製作所), The supports on the left sides of the #1 and #3 doors have LCD units for passenger information.

Svartmetall liked this post
Old January 3rd, 2014, 05:38 AM   #6537
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
I know *I* won't. Totally sucks when you're having to take a crowded one of these...
The Saikyo and Yokohoma Lines are notorious for overcrowded trains. I'm actually surprised JR East didn't replace the 205's with the E233 earlier considering the overcrowding you get on the Saikyo Line during commute hours.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:24 AM   #6538
quashlo

Apparently, there's only one E233-7000 series set left on the assembly line... The end is near for the 205s on the Saikyō Line. The line is largely E233s now (2013.12.30 and 2013.12.31):

Now, if they can only take care of the Musashino Line, we'd be pretty set, with virtually all of JR East's rolling stock in the core and inner suburbs of Greater Tōkyō being fairly modern trains.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:45 AM   #6539
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

Have some new about the EMU train to venezuela?
Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:09 AM   #6540
quashlo

I answered you here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
That's a good question... I haven't seen anything, but I imagine they should be starting production sometime this year, since the contract, which covers 30 months, was signed over a year ago, based on the October 2012 dates of the press releases:
http://www.n-sharyo.co.jp/business/t.../tp121010.html
http://www.marubeni.co.jp/dbps_data/...12/121010.html