daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:31 PM   #6541
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Now, if they can only take care of the Musashino Line, we'd be pretty set, with virtually all of JR East's rolling stock in the core and inner suburbs of Greater Tōkyō being fairly modern trains.
My guess is that JR East may transfer every 209-500 Series EMU to live out their final years on the Musashino Line, then they will be replaced by new-build E233 models. Since the 209-500's sport 2966 mm wide cars and were refurbished a few years ago, they could probably last until 2020 on the Musashino Line service.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2014, 05:21 PM   #6542
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
I answered you here:
I don´t find some new, only 2010 notices
Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:32 PM   #6543
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Since there was some desire among foreign visitors for rail maps that showed the entirety of the Tōkyō rail network, here’s a fairly thorough summary of what’s available online. Some of them are a few years old, so they may be missing the Fukutoshin Line extension and new stations (Haneda Airport International Terminal, Yoshikawa Minami, etc.). Click for large size.

Suica / PASMO network map
This one leaves out most of the stations, but is reasonably compact and covers the entire area.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/E/routemaps/...jorrailsub.pdf

MEIK Design map
One of the more professional-looking maps, but it lops off huge chunks of Saitama as well as southwestern Kanagawa.
http://www.meik.jp/2rosenzu/jpg_640/tkyo_yko_chba.jpg

CHIRI map
Not a bad map, and it at least attempts to show through-services, which are an important distinction.
http://www.chiri.com/railwaymap/pdf/...sen_201205.pdf

Zero per Zero map
A stylistic map designed to look like the Japanese flag. Again, it lops off huge portions of Kanagawa Prefecture. Eye candy at best, as it’s actual usefulness is limited.
http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Revi...roperzero.html

kzaral’s map
Produced by Flickr user kzaral, this is probably the most complete in terms of coverage.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kzaral/3373021846/

Unknown version 1
A “connect-the-dots” map that unfortunately omits a lot of the outer ends of the network, particularly JR.
http://www.newworldeconomics.com/arc...o_trainmap.jpg

Unknown version 2
http://u.jimdo.com/www56/o/sae4681bd...4%E9%80%9A.jpg

N.planning
Don’t have this one in high resolution but it adopts a more square-shaped canvas than the others that probably makes it a bit more readable at the top and bottom.

http://www.nplan.jp/systemdiary/3413.html
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:53 AM   #6544
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Lovely post!!

Quote:
kzaral’s map
Produced by Flickr user kzaral, this is probably the most complete in terms of coverage.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kzaral/3373021846/

That would be the same person as the user FML here on SSC.

On his homepage there are a few other maps as well: http://www.mukiryoku.com/railmap_e.html
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #6545
quashlo

Part of the exercise was to highlight the difficulties in trying to meet some of the requests that tourists had regarding JR East's map. Imagine trying to take a map like the MEIK Design or Chiri maps and then trying to fit English in there (or vice versa, taking an English map like kzaral's and adding Japanese), along with station numbers and travel times... Not impossible, but it's a tall order.

The exercise also highlights some of the other distinctions that may need to be shown in any region-wide map of Tōkyō, and some map design solutions that have been devised to address them:

Through-services, esp. those with Tōkyō Metro or Toei Subway lines
The Chiri map places the subway line on top of the JR or private railway line using a narrower lineweight. kzaral’s map shows the through-service as a separate full-weight line, but in a highlight (i.e., lighter) version of the original subway line color. Taiwan Junior (I didn’t include the map because it’s a fairly large PDF map) also had a map that showed the subway through-services as a separate, but narrower line, but in the original subway line color.

Operator
It’s important to be able to distinguish operators because changing companies inevitably means a higher fare than staying with a single operator. The official Suica / PASMO map uses thin lines for Tōkyō Metro + Toei, the standard black + white checkered line for JR, and then a single unique color for each other operator. The MEIK Design map is similar but uses unique colors for each line, including JR and other operators. Other maps like the Chiri map replace the checkered line pattern for JR with a thicker lineweight.

Other information
None of the maps have station numbering (except for Taiwan Junior's map).
None of the maps show limited express services, except for kzaral's map, which only shows Narita Express and Skyliner. None of the maps show other limited expresses like Odakyū's Romancecar services or Tōbu's Nikkō / Kinugawa services, both of which would potentially be important for overseas visitors.
None of the maps show stopping patterns, except where the line is quad-tracked and the fast tracks are branded separately as a different line from the local tracks (e.g., JR's rapid lines).
Old January 4th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #6546
jonallen1966

Likes (Received): 13

Japanese railfans behaving badly

Rail enthusiasts at Omiya station

from the item on RocketNews

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/01/0...social-graces/
jonallen1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #6547
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

It's amazing how spirited they are with this stuff, I remember at a school I was teaching at, the 鉄拳 (railway club - might have the wrong kanji here) reenacted a bunch of various trains entering and leaving the station - door opening melodies and all - for the culture festival.
Old January 5th, 2014, 04:08 AM   #6548
sacto7654

They may have to put severe restrictions on railfans at Omiya Station. This station has a huge number of train types going through the station all the time, and that tends to attract a lot of railfans in general. It's those "bad apples" (to use the American English expression) among the railfans that may force JR East to impose that ban.
Old January 5th, 2014, 04:26 AM   #6549
Frank J. Sprague

Likes (Received): 3

I wonder if they were going to the train museum?
Frank J. Sprague no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:01 AM   #6550
quashlo

Kōbe City to take a closer look at LRV system
神戸の路面電車復活調査 次世代型、全市域対象に

http://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/shakai...06611805.shtml

It was revealed that Kōbe City will begin investigating the possibility of introducing a light rail transit (LRT) system, evaluating potential routes across the entire city. Up until 1971, the city’s municipal tram system served residents as a critical means of transport, but the network disappeared, pushed aside by the tide of motorization. Now, the city is looking at potentially bringing the trams back as a means of dealing with the demands of an aging society.

The city’s mayor, Hisamoto Kizō (久元喜造), was elected to his post in November 2013 on a campaign promise of examining the possibility of introducing an LRT system. The city’s budget, which had suffered a major blow in the aftermath of the Hanshin–Awaji Great Earthquake (阪神・淡路大震災), has already returned to levels similar to other major government-ordained cities (政令市) in Japan under the previous mayoral administration. As a result, the new mayor hopes to revitalize the city’s central core and establish a new transport network for the city.

In an interview with Kōbe Shimbun, the mayor referenced potential hurdles in getting an LRT system built for the city, including heavy traffic congestion on downtown roads and narrow, hilly streets that aren’t suited for running trams. However, he re-emphasized his commitment to consider where such a system would work best, saying a potential LRT system would be included in the city’s downtown revitalization plan to be published within the next year.

In Japan, Toyama City became the first Japanese city to introduce a true modern LRT system in 2006 as part of an urban planning strategy to encourage compact development that doesn’t rely on automobiles. Existing tram systems in Okayama, Hiroshima, and other cities have also incorporated LRT-type strategies.

In 2007, Kōbe conducted a mock tram trial using buses to determine the potential effects of a real tram implementation. While members of the City Council have expressed support for an LRT system, which could become a major tourism resource for the city, issues remain in realizing the project, including effects on automobiles and other existing transport modes, as well as financial viability.

LRVs in Toyama

Trams at the Sannomiya intersection (January 1968). At the time, the system used cutting-edge technology and designs and was called the “Orient’s best” (東洋一) system.

Svartmetall liked this post
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:03 AM   #6551
quashlo

Collection of historic photos of Kōbe’s municipal tram network:

Tram network (as of July 1962):
http://www1.ttcn.ne.jp/~mmjuku/kobesiden.html

I also drew the network out in Google Maps. Because of the unusual geography of Kōbe, many of the routes are already duplicated by (or very close to) existing heavy rail alignments. What isn’t duplicated—the route north out of Kōsoku Kōbe (高速神戸) to Hirano (平野), and perhaps the route between Kenchō-mae (県庁前) and Ōji Kōen (王子公園)—is probably too small to really justify the expense. A route from the Customs House (税関前) via City Hall (市役所), Sannomiya (三ノ宮), Kanōchō (加納町), and Shin-Kōbe (新神戸) to Ōji Kōen may be a potential option, as this would connect a fair number of high-activity destinations without siphoning too many riders off the existing rail options. I think anything along the popular waterfront zone, from American Park (メリケン公園) to Harborland (ハーバーランド), is a no-no, since they would want to increase ridership as much as possible on the struggling Kaigan Line subway.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...f168b37d&msa=0
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #6552
Abbendymion
Get Ready

Likes (Received): 1066

Quote:
[...]
For overseas rail fans, I think YOUR map is the best.

Clarion
abbendymion.tumblr.com
Current Log: CP1### (Ans 11.2)

HP
abbhyperion.tumblr.com

Proudly, a GrNe production

ko7, smithrh liked this post
Abbendymion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #6553
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post

the 鉄拳 (railway club - might have the wrong kanji here)
Yup wrong kanji, yours mean Iron Fist.
The correct kanji would probably be 鉄研(鉄道研究会 for short)

Abbendymion liked this post
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 09:25 AM   #6554
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank J. Sprague View Post
I wonder if they were going to the train museum?
No. It's a different group that hangs out at Omiya- they tend to be younger males and have less manners. Museum goers are mainly families with small children.

One note- "rocket news" is dubious news source at best, note the youtube clip they use is from an event more than a year and a half ago. There has been a campaign in the railfan press to promote better railfan behavior which has been in place for a couple of years.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #6555
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbendymion View Post
For overseas rail fans, I think YOUR map is the best.
ABSOLUTELY!

While schematic maps have their place, I was having a devil of a time finding a geographic map in English, correctly color coded, showing all operators equally.

V1.21 fits the bill perfectly...
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #6556
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
There has been a campaign in the railfan press to promote better railfan behavior which has been in place for a couple of years.
I would hope so, especially at Omiya Station. If Wikipedia is correct, Omiya Station is a MAJOR interchange station on the JR East network, because a number of busy commuter lines and just about all Shinkansen trains heading geographic north from Tokyo Station stop there, not to mention a major service yard for trains. The number of train types you can see at Omiya can be mind-boggling, and small wonder why many railfans go there to see the large variety of passenger and freight train types.
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:53 AM   #6557
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Quote:
and just about all Shinkansen trains heading geographic north
Are there any that don't?
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #6558
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Are there any that don't?
The Tokaido Shinkansen
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:58 AM   #6559
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Tokaido doesn't head North
Old January 6th, 2014, 03:36 AM   #6560
SamuraiBlue

Quote:
Tokaido doesn't head North
That is exactly what I said, since you asked if there are any Shinkansen that didn't head north.