daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #6681
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

JR East allowed the public an early look at the new E233-6000 series sets for the Yokohama Line on 2014.02.02 before the first units officially enter revenue service in a couple of weeks on 2014.02.16.

Kanagawa Shinbun video report:

Yokohama Line 205 series in the snow (2014.02.05):

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #6682
quashlo

Some pictures of the event at Machida:
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/teshigawara_1116/11180658.html

Poster advertising the open house:

Perhaps each station will get its own emblem sticker like this…

Special headmark

Old and new

geometarkv, pudgym29 liked this post
Old February 13th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #6683
quashlo

Next set:
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/teshigawara_1116/11181110.html

Operator’s cab

Car 1 sticker

4-seat bench

Standard 2-screen information displays embedded in the lintels above each pair of doors.

Cycling station names

Cycling line map

7-seat bench

Wheelchair space

Svartmetall, geometarkv, pudgym29 liked this post
Old February 13th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #6684
quashlo

Next:
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/teshigawara_1116/11181371.html

Car 2

All 28 205 series sets on the Yokohama Line

Car 3

You can tell a big emphasis for JR East with this series was enhancing the local branding of the Yokohama Line, so a lot of the cars in the open house event were decorated with local-oriented themes. Car 3 featured several displays, including one from Kodomo no Kuni (こどもの国), a local recreational park for children.

Kanagawa Ward display

Display from a local maker of sesame oil (ごま油), including the clever Japanese shop curtains (暖簾) drooping from the car ceiling.

Svartmetall, geometarkv, pudgym29 liked this post
Old February 13th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #6685
quashlo

Next:
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/teshigawara_1116/11181653.html

Car 4 was for Kōhoku Ward and the Zoorasia zoo.

Svartmetall, pudgym29 liked this post
Old February 13th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #6686
quashlo

Kagoshima City earmarks funding for study of tram extension
鹿児島市、市電延伸計画費を計上 新年度予算案

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASG2B3T03G2BTLTB11L.html

Kagoshima City has earmarked another ¥31 million in its preliminary budget for the new fiscal year to continue planning and studies of a proposed tram extension. Originally, the city had been aiming to finalize a master plan for an extension of the tram system to the Honkō Shinmachi (本港新町) district along the city’s waterfront in FY2013, but those plans were stalled when Kagoshima Prefecture suddenly announced a plan to build a mixed-use development including a gymnasium in the area. While the extension is still in limbo, the city has gone ahead with earmarking the funds, with an intention of developing a final master plan by March 2015.

At a press conference on 2014.02.12, the mayor of Kagoshima City stressed that an extension of the tram system was critical to creating new appeal for the city, but that coordination with the Prefectural Government, which owns the land in question, was absolutely necessary to seeing the project through to completion.

===

Scenes at the tram terminal at JR Kagoshima Station:

Svartmetall liked this post
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #6687
quashlo

Nishitetsu to begin direct service between Tenjin and Dazaifu
西鉄、福岡~太宰府間に急行…和風ラッピング車「旅人」も運転

http://response.jp/article/2014/01/30/216155.html

On 2014.01.30, Nishi-Nippon Railroad (Nishitetsu) (西日本鉄道) announced that it would implement new one-seat express (急行) services departing Nishitetsu Fukuoka (Tenjin) (西鉄福岡(天神)) Station bound for Dazaifu (太宰府) Station starting on 2014.03.22. Currently, passengers need to transfer at Futsukaichi (二日市) Station in Chikushino City (筑紫野市), but the new direct service will help meet the demands of tourists visiting Dazaifu Tenman-gū shrine (太宰府天満宮).

The new service will operate 3 trips in the mornings on weekdays (9:46, 10:16, and 10:46 departures from Tenjin) and 5 trips in the mornings on weekends and holidays (9:46, 10:17, 10:47, 11:17, and 11:47 departures from Tenjin), making the journey from Tenjin to Dazaifu in 27 minutes. Nishitetsu will invest ¥35 million to refurbish an existing 6-car train into a new Tabito (“Traveler”) sightseeing train for the service, featuring traditional Japanese motifs inside and out. The name draws from Ōtomo no Tabito (大伴旅人), a Nara Period statesman and director of Dazaifu. The special Tabito train will be used on the 9:46 departure from Tenjin, afterwards making 10 to 13 roundtrips on Nishitetsu’s branch line to Dazaifu between Futsukaichi and Dazaifu.

Despite the continuing ridership decline on Nishitetsu’s Tenjin–Ōmuta Line (天神大牟田線), the railway’s Dazaifu Station recorded average daily ridership of 11,850 boardings or alightings in FY2012, a 7.1% year-over-year increase.

===

Press release:
http://www.nishitetsu.co.jp/release/2013/13_154.pdf

Design sketches:

Each car will have a separate design motif decorating the car walls, each one representing a prayer or wish for shrine visitors.
Car 6: Ume (梅), plum blossoms → academics (passing aptitude tests)
Car 5: Kikkō (亀甲), tortoise shell → health and long life (健康長寿)
Car 4: Yabane (矢羽根), arrow feathers → warding off evil (厄除け)
Car 3: Nami-u (波兎), a rabbit on waves of water → easy childbirth (安産)
Car 2: Shippō (七宝), the seven Buddhist treasures → well-being of family (家内安全)
Car 1: Kai-awase (貝合わせ), a game of matching seashells together → marriage (縁結び)

Interior:

Old February 13th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #6688
quashlo

New Nishitetsu station receives local approvals, will open in FY2021
雑餉隈-春日原間の新駅承認 西鉄、2021年度開業へ

http://www.nishinippon.co.jp/nnp/f_t.../article/68195

On 2014.02.06, the Fukuoka City Urban Planning Council (福岡市都市計画審議会) approved a plan by Nishi-Nippon Railroad (Nishitetsu) (西日本鉄道) to construct a new station on the Tenjin–Ōmuta Line (天神大牟田線) between Zassho no Kuma (雑餉隈) Station in Hakata Ward, Fukuoka City and Kasugabaru (春日原) Station in Kasuga City. Urban planning approvals from the national government will come before the end of FY2013, with the new station opening in FY2021.

According to Fukuoka City and Nishitetsu, the new station will be located about 600 m southeast of Zassho no Kuma, next to the Nishitetsu Bus (西鉄バス) Zassho no Kuma division (雑餉隈営業所) in Takeokamachi (竹丘町) 3-chōme. The final construction cost and official name for the station have yet to be determined.

The new station is part of joint project by the city and Nishitetsu already underway to grade-separate (elevate) the Tenjin–Ōmuta Line, relieving traffic congestion along cross streets. The area around the planned station is home to an existing residential neighborhood, but new residential towers are also rising, and Nishitetsu feels confident that it can attract new ridership to its trains.

===

30s Nishitetsu CM spot:

Old February 13th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #6689
quashlo

New trains coming for JR Chikuhi Line
JR九州が筑肥線に新型車両、2015年から投入 - 今春ダイヤ改正で列車増便も

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2014/02/01/022/

On 2014.01.31, JR Kyūshū revealed plans to introduce new rolling stock to the JR Chikuhi Line. The news was announced jointly with the Fukuoka City Transportation Bureau (福岡市交通局), together with announcements regarding planned schedule changes to the Fukuoka City Subway Airport Line and Hakozaki Line to take effect on 2014.03.15.

The JR Chikuhi Line (Karatsu – Meinohama) and Fukuoka City Subway Airport Line (Meinohama – Fukuoka Airport) are currently interlined, operating a mixed fleet of Fukuoka City Subway 1000 series and 2000 series trains and JR Kyūshū 303 series and 103-1500 series trains.

In recent years, equipment malfunctions on JR trains are becoming more frequent, resulting in service disruptions across both lines. As a result, JR Kyūshū will introduce 6 new trainsets (36 cars total) for use on Airport Line through-services starting in February 2015. Details regarding the new trains will be announced by the railway once they have been finalized.

Old February 13th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #6690
quashlo

The groundbreaking ceremony for the Nanakuma Line extension was held on 2014.02.12. This is a 1.4 km, ¥45 billion extension from Tenjin Minami to Hakata, scheduled to open in FY2020, and will mark the completion of the original plan for the line... The terminus at Tenjin Minami was only an interim solution until the full line to Hakata could be completed.

Old February 13th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #6691
quashlo

Suica, Exca to be interoperable in Sendai area
Suicaとイクスカ、仙台圏の相互利用で合意

http://response.jp/article/2014/02/13/217143.html

On 2014.02.13, JR East, the Sendai City Transportation Bureau (仙台市交通局), and Miyagi Kōtsū (宮城交通) announced that they have agreed to implement IC card interoperability starting in spring 2016.

JR was the first to introduce IC farecards to the Sendai urban area, starting with its Suica card in October 2003. Meanwhile, the Sendai City Transportation Bureau, which manages the city’s publicly-operated subway system, and Miyagi Kōtsū, a private bus operator in the city, are currently making preparations to roll out a separate IC card system called Exca for their services. Exca will be rolled out first on the Namboku Line subway starting in December, followed later in 2015 by the newly-opened Tōzai Line and publicly- and privately-operated buses in the city.

This latest agreement between the three transit providers allows holders of a Suica card or any card with an interoperability arrangement with Suica to use their card within the Exca network. Exca cardholders will be able to user their Exca card in lieu of a Suica card as fare payment within the Sendai area, but will not be able to use it for e-money transactions or in areas outside of the Sendai area where Suica cards are normally accepted.

Coverage map.
Blue is Exca rail coverage, green is JR rail coverage. The shaded box is bus coverage. Dotted green is where Suica service has already been expanded, but only to some stations.

===

JR East press release:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20140211.pdf

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #6692
quashlo

San’yō Electric Railway to introduce station numbering
山陽電気鉄道、4月から全駅に駅ナンバリング導入! アルファベットは「SY」

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2014/02/10/338/

Starting 2014.04.01, San’yō Electric Railway (山陽電気鉄道) will introduce station numbering to all 49 stations on its network, including stations on both the Main Line between Nishidai (西代) and San’yō Himeji (山陽姫路) and the Aboshi Line between Shikama (飾磨) and San’yō Aboshi (網干). The railway has selected “SY” as the alphabet code for its stations.

Numbering will begin at the east end of the network at Nishidai (SY-01), proceeding west towards San’yō Himeji (SY-43). Numbering for the Aboshi Line will begin with Nishi-Shikama (SY-51) and end with San’yō Aboshi (SY-56). Nishidai, the junction with the Hanshin network, will share a Hanshin code (HS-39).

===

Press release:
http://www.sanyo-railway.co.jp/media/1391749594.pdf

Sample sign:

pudgym29 liked this post
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #6693
quashlo

Platform doors coming to Sennichimae Line
大阪市交通局、千日前線全駅にホームドア設置へ

http://response.jp/article/2014/02/13/217165.html

On 2014.02.13, the Ōsaka Municipal Transportation Bureau (大阪市交通局) announced that it will install platform doors to all stations on the Ōsaka Municipal Subway’s 13.1 km Sennichimae Line (千日前線) connecting Noda Hanshin (野田阪神) Station in the city’s Fukushima Ward (福島区) and Minami-Tatsumi (南巽) Station in Ikuno Ward (生野区).

The doors will be installed starting at Minami-Tatsumi Station, with the Bureau gradually working its way towards Noda Hanshin. Work on the first installation at Minami-Tatsumi will begin after the last trains of the evening on 2014.03.14, with the doors starting operations in April. Platform doors are scheduled to be operational at all 14 stations on the line by February 2015.

In conjunction with the platform door installations, the Bureau will resurface the platforms to slope towards the train and install gap fillers at the platform edge, reducing the vertical height difference between platform and train to 0 to 15 mm and the horizontal gap to as little as 20 mm.

Among lines operated by the Bureau, platform door systems are already in service on the Nagahori – Tsurumi Ryokuchi Line (長堀鶴見緑地線), Imazatosuji Line (今里筋線), and Nankō Port Town Line (南港ポートタウン線). Systems are also scheduled to be introduced to Shinsaibashi (心斎橋) and Tennōji (天王寺) Stations on the Midōsuji Line (御堂筋線) in FY2014.

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #6694
quashlo

JR West to operate Kinki Sharyō battery-powered train on Kinokuni LIne
JR西日本、きのくに線で「Smart BEST」初の営業運転! 和歌山DCの観光列車に

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2014/02/12/440/

JR West has announced that it will operate a new battery-powered train called Smart BEST, developed jointly with railcar manufacturer Kinki Sharyō, on the Kinokuni Line as a sightseeing train, in coordination with a Wakayama Prefecture tourism campaign to be held this autumn from 2014.09.14 to 2014.12.13. This will mark the first time the Smart BEST train will be used in revenue service.

The train features a small diesel generator to supply the minimum power needs, together with high-capacity batteries. The generator is used to power the batteries, which then power the motors to move the train. The prototype trainset has been undergoing running tests in both JR West and JR Shikoku territory, but this will be its first revenue-service stint.

The train will be operated on the Kinokuni Line (Kisei Main Line) between Shingū (新宮) and Kushimoto (串本), one of Japan’s most beautiful seaside rail lines. In order to take advantage of the beautiful coastline, which occupies about a quarter of the length of the line, the train will be redesigned, with the seats on the west / south side of the train oriented to face the water. The train’s exterior will feature a new Hello Kitty-themed wrapping.

===

Smart BEST unit in transit back to Kinki Sharyō after successfully completing tests in JR Shikoku territory (2014.02.13).

Old February 14th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #6695
quashlo

Tōyō Rapid services to be discontinued in March
東葉高速鉄道「東葉快速」が消滅…3月ダイヤ改正で

http://response.jp/article/2014/02/08/216810.html

On 2014.02.07, Chiba Prefecture railway operator Tōyō Rapid Railway (東葉高速鉄道) announced that it would implement schedule changes to the Tōyō Rapid Line to take effect on 2014.03.15. The biggest change will involve the conversion of the Tōyō Rapid (東葉快速) services operated during the weekday evening rush hour to local (all-stop) (各駅停車) services. This change will completely eliminate Tōyō Rapid services from the railway’s operating schedule.

Currently, there are four such services, departing Nishi-Funabashi bound for Tōyō Katsutadai (東葉勝田台) during the 18:00 and 19:00 hours every weekday and only making stops at Kita-Narashino (北習志野), Yachiyo Midorigaoka (八千代緑が丘), and Tōyō Katsutadai. According to the railway, however, residential development at stations currently skipped by these services—Higashi-Kaijin (東海神), Iiyama (飯山満), Funabashi Nichidai-mae (船橋日大前), Yachiyo Chūō (八千代中央), and Murakami (村上)—has picked up. In addition, land readjustment projects (土地区画整理事業) are underway at Iiyama, Funabashi Nichidai-mae, and Murakami, which is expected to result in additional ridership growth.

Passengers between Nishi-Funabashi and Tōyō Katsutadai that normally use the Tōyō Rapid services will see their travel times increase by about 4-5 minutes after conversion to all-stop services. The change will also allow the railway to adjust the schedule of adjacent local trains to standardize the timetable.

The railway currently operates a total of four different stopping patterns, consisting of rapids (快速), commuter rapids (通勤快速), Tōyō Rapids, and locals. The rapids and commuter rapids only skip stations when on the Tōkyō Metro Tōzai Line (west of Nishi-Funabashi), so the Tōyō Rapid is the only one of the four that currently skips stations on the Tōyō Rapid Line. Tōyō Rapids in the inbound direction were discontinued in March 2009, and this final change will mean that all trains will operate as locals on the Tōyō Rapid Line.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #6696
quashlo

Hitachi, Nippon Signal test explosives detection gate at Kasumigaseki Station
日立と日本信号、丸ノ内線・霞ヶ関駅構内で「ゲート内蔵型爆発物探知システム」の実証実験を実施

http://response.jp/article/2014/02/13/217120.html

Hitachi, Ltd. (日立製作所) and Nippon Signal (日本信号) have jointly developed a new type of security gate embedded with an explosives detection system (ゲート内蔵型爆発物探知システム) and announced that they will test the system at Kasumigaseki Station (霞ケ関駅) on the Tōkyō Metro Marunouchi Line between 2014.02.18 and 2014.02.20.

As part of the test, the two companies will install the device, capable of quickly determining the presence of explosives, at the station. The three-day trial is intended to collect data on station environments to help develop ways to avoid detection errors among passengers not carrying explosives.

The system was developed as part of the Anti-Crime, Anti-Terrorism Technologies for a Safe, Secure Society program (安全・安心な社会のための犯罪・テロ対策技術等を実用化するプログラム) under the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (文部科学省).

===

Nippon Signal press release:
http://www.signal.co.jp/uploads/2014...shoujikken.pdf
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #6697
quashlo

Tōkyō Metro successfully completes test of emergency battery backup system
東京メトロ、非常用地上バッテリー装置の電力だけでの列車走行実験に成功!

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2014/02/06/026/

Tōkyō Metro announced that it had successfully completed testing of an experimental battery backup system that ca power trains for short distances in the event of a system power supply failure such as a blackout following an earthquake.

The system stores power generated from regenerative braking systems on trains during regular operations. In the event of a blackout, power from the batteries is then fed into the system, allowing trains stranded between stations or on long-span bridges to safely reach the nearest stations to offload passengers. The power stored in the lithium-ion batteries (リチウムイオン電池) can also be supplied to accelerating trains, helping to reduce overall electricity consumption systemwide. Tōkyō Metro is working jointly with Hitachi, Ltd. to test the experimental system.

The test was conducted on 2014.01.26 on a train located on the 2.7 km section of the Tōzai Line between Nishi-Kasai (西葛西) and Minami-Sunamachi (南砂町). This is the first time that a train in Japan has been powered solely using power from an off-board lithium-ion battery. The railway already successfully completed a test of on-board emergency battery power last year, and will now evaluate practical use of the two technologies.

===

Press release:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2014/p...40131_b111.pdf

Svartmetall, Blackraven, pudgym29 liked this post
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #6698
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

New snow in Tokyo causes IRROPs, train collision

Not sure if that's an orange stripe or a red stripe...

https://twitter.com/korokoromash/sta.../photo/1/large

Perhaps Tokyu?

Edited to add: "Tokyu Toyoko Line operation suspended -.. Due to the rear-end accident that occurred under Sumiyoshi Station, we have suspended the operation of the Shibuya-Kikuna between stations is expected to take time to recover In addition, we have been transfer transport."
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #6699
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8792

Whoops. Definitely a Tokyu train. Looks like a fairly bad accident. Was anyone injured?

EDIT: Already up here:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.Uv6RlkJdXdE
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #6700
quashlo

Here's a FNN video report of the incident... I was having trouble figuring out what happened from looking at the pictures, as it was actually two of the intermediate cars that received the most visible damage.