daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2014, 02:38 PM   #6781
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Nice

However, one quick comment:
Train stations in Airports need PLATFORM DOORS AND GATES.

As an example:
The monorail that serves Haneda has one
I am of the impression that PSDs at monorail stations are in place since it is a higher fall down to the ground.
I would guess that monorails without PSDs are less prone to interruption due to people falling/jumping down on the tracks.

I wouldn't use a monorail as a suicide apparatus
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:25 PM   #6782
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
However, one quick comment:
Train stations in Airports need PLATFORM DOORS AND GATES.
Why? There isn't anything particularly special about airport stations (compared to other stations) that would warrant fast-tracking installations... There are far busier and more crowded (i.e., more dangerous) stations that should be looked at first.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:39 PM   #6783
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
I'm reading the news and I was thinking that if Kita-Ayase station platforms will be extended, so Ayase station platforms also must be extended, or it's unnecesary?
Not sure I completely follow the logic here... Here is the layout at Ayase Station:

http://jobu-r.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2012-08-08

I assume you're asking about the 3-car platform at Ayase (Platform 0) that serves the Kita-Ayase branch (upper right corner)... I don't think they've specifically mentioned what will happen to it. I don't think they necessarily need to do anything with it, and they could probably just fence it off and leave it as is, although perhaps they may demolish it and try to put an additional pocket track there to turn back trains.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:14 PM   #6784
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26130

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Not sure I completely follow the logic here... Here is the layout at Ayase Station:

http://jobu-r.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2012-08-08

I assume you're asking about the 3-car platform at Ayase (Platform 0) that serves the Kita-Ayase branch (upper right corner)... I don't think they've specifically mentioned what will happen to it. I don't think they necessarily need to do anything with it, and they could probably just fence it off and leave it as is, although perhaps they may demolish it and try to put an additional pocket track there to turn back trains.
quashlo, thanks. Now I know that Ayase is actually an interchange station. Yes, I'm asking about 3-car platform.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:55 PM   #6785
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

So, just some more pictures for everyone!

Akihabara Station area.

Yamanote line at Akihabara

Ikebukuro Station

Fukutoshin line with Minato Mirai line rolling stock (Y500 I believe)! You get a LOT of different rolling stock now that the link to the Tokyu Yokohama Line has been completed.

Chiyoda Line at Meiji-Jingumae station.

Entrance to the Tobu Skytree Line at Asakusa

Tokyo Skytree Station

Entrance to the Tokyo Skytree Station. Looks really nice now (the whole area does)

Very tiny minibuses at Tokyo Skytree

One of the many entrances to Akihabara Station

Tokyo Station (Marunouchi Side)

The underground passages around Tokyo Station

The food for sale in Tokyo station is stunning. Really miss the array of food available in the stations.

Tokyo Station Yaesu side

More to come later.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:32 PM   #6786
saiho

Likes (Received): 1291

Are there any expansion plans for the Tokyo Metro/Toei Subway for the 2020 Olympics?
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:02 AM   #6787
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post

Entrance to the Tokyo Skytree Station. Looks really nice now (the whole area does)

What's a 'Cheese Garden?'
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:07 AM   #6788
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

A place where you can frolic through the cheddar-grass.

nouveau.ukiyo liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:08 AM   #6789
quashlo

Video reports on the removal of the Keihin–Tōhoku Line E233 series cars damaged in the incident about one week ago:

FNN:

ANN:

Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:38 PM   #6790
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

A few more images from around Tokyo.

Roppongi Station

Yurikamome in Shiodome.

Tokyo Teleport Station on Odaiba

JR Saikyo line stock (E233 I believe) on the Rinkai line

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:21 AM   #6791
quashlo

MLIT gives urban planning approvals to Keiō Line grade-separation
京王線笹塚~仙川間の高架化事業が認可

http://response.jp/article/2014/03/01/218255.html

On 2014.02.28, the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government’s Bureau of Construction (東京都建設局) announced that the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (国土交通省) has granted urban planning approvals for the continuous grade-separation of the Keiō Line between Sasazuka (笹塚) and Sengawa (仙川).

The project involves elevating about 7.2 km of the Keiō Line from Sasazuka 1-chōme in Shibuya Ward (渋谷区笹塚1丁目) to Kyūden 3-chōme in Setagaya Ward (世田谷区給田3丁目), eliminating 25 crossings, including one with the intersection with Inokashira-dōri (井ノ頭通り). About 5.6 km of frontage roads will also be constructed along the new elevated viaduct.

The project will cost ¥170.1 billion in total and last from FY2013 through to FY2022.

Svartmetall, pudgym29 liked this post
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:23 AM   #6792
quashlo

Looks like this (very ambitious) project will soon be moving forward. Once this project is complete, there will only be a few crossings left on the line between Shinjuku and Chōfu.

Cab view on a semi-limited express (準特急) from Shinjuku to Takao-san-guchi. The east end of Sasazuka begins at around 6:00… Sengawa is at 15:45.

This is one of the busiest double-track corridors in the in the Tōkyō area, and these crossings are de facto closed for most of the rush hour… Keiō is especially notorious for major bunching (ダンゴ運転) at Meidai-mae, a two-track station where all services stop. One of the key improvements under this project will be quad-tracking Meidaimae so that it’s a proper station to permit passes and cross-platform transfers.

Rush hour bunching at Meidai-mae:

In a related article, some local residents are attempting to get an injunction from the Tōkyō District Court to halt the project. Their opposition basically has to do with concerns about noise from an elevated alignment, which they say may even get worse compared to the current ground-level alignment, and they want to have the line undergrounded instead. They also claim that there are engineering problems with using existing elevated structure that are 40 years old, and that they may fail in the event of an earthquake (I assume they are talking about the already-elevated segments at Sasazuka and at Hachiman-yama).
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASG2X5SB5G2XUTIL033.html

Of course, the biggest reason for going with the elevated alignment is cost… The TMG estimated that an underground alignment would cost ¥80 billion—not chump change, and basically enough to fund another good-sized grade-sep project elsewhere. However, the residents claim that they can value engineer an undergrounding of the line down to ¥155.3 billion.

Svartmetall liked this post
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #6793
quashlo

Original copy of Tōkyō subway plan proposed in 1925 discovered
幻の大正地下鉄計画 現路線の原型 公文書初めて発見

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/na...302000234.html

An official document from 1925 describing plans to construct a subway in the Japanese capital, part of an application filed by the Tōkyō City Bureau of Electricity (東京市電気局)—now the Tōkyō Metropolitan Bureau of Transportation (東京都交通局)—with what was then the Ministry of Railways (鉄道省) has been discovered. While financial troubles prevented the plan from being fully realized, the document includes alignments that eventually become the framework of subway lines built in the post-war era, including the Marunouchi Line, Hibiya Line, and Tōzai Line. While the chronicle published by the Bureau of Transportation every 15 years includes references to the plan, there are no surviving physical records in the archives of the metropolitan or national government.

The document is called the Municipal High-Speed Railway Plan Summary Document (市営高速度鉄道計画概要説明書). The term “high-speed railway” was used to refer to subways, and the document is believed to have been an appendix to the application filed by the city with the Ministry of Railways. The document was in the possession of an archivist and book collected in Saitama Prefecture.

The plan called for construction of six subway lines to deal with ridership growth in the aftermath of the 1923 Great Kantō Earthquake:

(1) Tsukiji (築地) – Ningyōchō (人形町) – Asakusabashi (浅草橋) – Omurai (小村井) (Sumida Ward)
(2) Hiratsuka (平塚) (Shinagawa Ward) – Shinbashi (新橋) – Ueno (上野) – Kita-Senju (北千住)
(3) Ebisu (恵比寿) – Tōkyō Station (東京駅) – Sugamo (巣鴨) – Shimo-Itabashi (下板橋)
(4) Shibuya (渋谷) – Akasaka Mitsuke (赤坂見附) – Hibiya (日比谷) – Tsukishima (月島)
(5) Tsunohazu (角筈) (Shinjuku Ward) – Tōkyō Station – Susaki (洲崎) – Sunamachi (砂町)
(6) Ikebukuro (池袋) – Iidabashi (飯田橋) – Ningyōchō – Ōshimachō (大島町)

After the application was filed, the plan was modified to a four routes, including a route between Meguro (目黒) and Minami-Senju (南千住), eventually receiving approvals in May 1925. Tōkyō City had planned to cover ¥200 million cost of construction with bonds issues by the Bureau of Electricity, and requested approval from the Ministry of Railways to begin issuing bonds. The ministry rejected the financing plan due to budget concerns, and a portion of the concessions to build and operate the lines were eventually transferred to the Tōkyō Rapid Railway (東京高速鉄道), a private-sector company.

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #6794
quashlo

An interesting Nikkei article about Japan’s longest network of underground passages, located in the area surrounding Tōkyō Station:
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...20C14A2000000/

Basically, you can walk a good 4 km without having to surface, starting in Ōtemachi, one of Tōkyō’s premier office districts, and continuing south all the way to Higashi Ginza.

The Marunouchi side of Tōkyō Station, in particular, has changed quite dramatically over the past three years as several new office towers have been completed, including Ōtemachi Tower (大手町タワー), the JP Tower (JPタワー), and the Marunouchi Eiraku Building (丸の内永楽ビルディング), which gave birth to new retail facilities stretching underground in ŌTEMORI, KITTE, and iiyo!!. These redevelopments have secured an alternative, 100% accessible route to get from Ōtemachi to the Yūrakuchō area completely underground.

Starting off in Ōtemachi:

A map of the main underground routes (green) and step-free underground routes (yellow):

The entrance to ŌTEMORI, the underground mall beneath Ōtemachi Tower:

Top left: Exiting via Exit C8 and walking towards Ōtemachi First Square (大手町ファーストスクエア).
Top right: Exiting at Ōtemachi First Square in a half-sunken plaza. Straight ahead is the entrance to Ōtemachi Tower.
Bottom left: Proceeding towards the escalators inside the Ōtemachi Tower complex.
Bottom right: After taking the escalator down, ŌTEMORI is to our backside.

Top left: ŌTEMORI
Top right: Leaving ŌTEMORI and taking another escalator, we run into a construction wall. Tōkyō Station would be to the lift, but we’ll proceed to the right towards the Marunouchi Eiraku Building
Bottom left: At the Eiraku Building, we again reach a half-sunken open space, this time open-air.
Bottom right: Proceeding past the Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation Headquarters (三菱UFJ信託銀行本店ビル), we can see Tōkyō Station.

Previously, there were only stairs at Exit D8, leading to the Tōkyō Kōtsū Kaikan (東京交通会館) at Yūrakuchō Station.

Svartmetall, Abbendymion, pudgym29 liked this post
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #6795
quashlo

Passing through Marunouchi:

Yūrakuchō:

One of the “missing links” in the continuously-expanding underground space is the segment at Gofukubashi (呉服橋) intersection Nihonbashi, just northeast of Tōkyō Station. The underground space has already been built, but it just needs to be properly finished and opened to the public, which would then make it possible to get from Ōtemachi all the way to Kayabachō. They also need to lower the height of the Shuto Expressway tunnels to secure enough vertical clearance inside the underground space. There are also proposals to expand the underground network up to Mitsukoshi-mae Station as a package with the undergrounding of the Shuto Expressway.

Nihonbashi Station to Kayabachō Station is connected underground:

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #6796
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Excellent updates!

Firstly, the Keio line news is great. The line runs at such high frequency that separation really will enhance things for both the riders of the train, pedestrians and cars. Good news all round.

Secondly, those underground passages - I snapped just a few of them above. They really are highly extensive. One could explore all day and still not cover them all!
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #6797
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Excellent updates!

Firstly, the Keio line news is great. The line runs at such high frequency that separation really will enhance things for both the riders of the train, pedestrians and cars. Good news all round.

Secondly, those underground passages - I snapped just a few of them above. They really are highly extensive. One could explore all day and still not cover them all!
I recognized some of your pictures of Ikebukuro that way. I also remembered how I got almost lost late one night in those passages on my way back to my hotel.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #6798
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I recognized some of your pictures of Ikebukuro that way. I also remembered how I got almost lost late one night in those passages on my way back to my hotel.
The first time I went to Japan, I ended up going round in circles a few times in various stations around Tokyo. I thought that having travelled by train extensively in big cities around the world I would be prepared for the complexity of Japanese stations. How wrong I was. Once you get used to their signage, though, it becomes easy. This last time I didn't get lost thankfully!

Glad some of my pictures brought back memories, though. Still more to come (along with Quashlo's fantastic updates of course, haha).
Old March 4th, 2014, 07:42 AM   #6799
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Utsunomiya Line, Takasaki Line, and Jōban Line trains that currently terminate at Ueno will be able to reach Tōkyō Station directly and continue onto the Tōkaidō Line in spring 2015
Reading the Asahi News article last week about the Jukan Line (Tokyo-Ueno Line), some interesting factoids:
-Ibaraki Pref. is lobbying for more Joban Line trains to go directly to Tokyo. Ibaraki Pref. ranks the lowest (47th) in terms of brand image of all prefectures in Japan, and they think better links will push them up in the rankings.
-However, commuters from Saitama who use the Takasaki and Utsunomiya (Tohoku Honsen) lines are huge in number, and the economic edge goes to that side.
-during the morning rush, up to 40 trains/hour off the Takasaki/Utsunomiya/Joban Lines arrive at Ueno, but the Jukan Line has capacity for only 26 of them (2 min 20 sec headway). How JR East allocates the slots is a big question. Apparently the schedule for this line will be revealed this December.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; March 4th, 2014 at 07:50 AM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #6800
quashlo

Yeah, they recently came out with a new marketing slogan:

なめんなよ♡いばらき県
"Don't mess with Ibaraki"

It'll probably take more than one marketing campaign or more one-seat rides to Tōkyō Station to alter the stereotype of "Ibaragi" as redneck country, but I'm hoping they can at least bring the Hitachi services into Tōkyō Station. I think that alone would do a pretty good job of better associating Mito and northern Ibaraki with the rest of Tōkyō, and connecting Ibaraki with the rest of the country.

As for the commuter services, it seems like a crapshoot trying to guess what the split will be, especially without any publicly available data regarding passenger ratios between the three lines at Ueno. Then there's the rolling stock issues, plus the Shōnan‒Shinjuku Line vs. Chiyoda Line debate.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just end up splitting it pretty evenly between the three lines... At least that way everybody ends up somewhat satisfied.

8 tph Utsunomiya
8 tph Takasaki
10 tph Jōban (8 commuter + 2 Hitachi)