daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #6801
mkill

Likes (Received): 15

Sorry, Ibaraki, but the "everyone's forgotten about us but we'll deal with it" angle has been done by Shimane, and much better.
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/09/0...ar-prefecture/

"Namenayo" is a poor version of the Kochi Prefecture catchphrase なめたらいかんぜよ!(Nametara Ikanzeyo)

If that's all they can come up with, having to change trains in Ueno is the least of their problems.

Japan has a major problem in that everything is always only concentrated in Tokyo. It's really hard for the smaller, weaker and less connected prefectures to compete. However, step 1 would be to stop always looking to Tokyo. Step 2 would be to stop copying what other prefectures are doing. Tourists aren't coming? Well, not every place has to be a tourist spot.

Ibaraki does have a lot to offer, more that just "#1 in melon production".

* Hitachi City is the HQ of one of the world's largest technology companies (of the same name)
* They have a proud samurai history in Mito han
* Tsukuba City has one of Japan's best technology universities, high tech venture companies and a major tourist spot in Tsukuba-san

That's just 5 minutes brain storm, a million yen PR campaign should be able to come up with more. They can't even make up their mind whether they are pronounced Ibaraki or Ibaragi. (Maybe start with that?)
mkill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #6802
mkill

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
MLIT gives urban planning approvals to Keiō Line grade-separation
京王線笹塚~仙川間の高架化事業が認可

http://response.jp/article/2014/03/01/218255.html

On 2014.02.28, the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government’s Bureau of Construction (東京都建設局) announced that the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (国土交通省) has granted urban planning approvals for the continuous grade-separation of the Keiō Line between Sasazuka (笹塚) and Sengawa (仙川).

The project involves elevating about 7.2 km of the Keiō Line from Sasazuka 1-chōme in Shibuya Ward (渋谷区笹塚1丁目) to Kyūden 3-chōme in Setagaya Ward (世田谷区給田3丁目), eliminating 25 crossings, including one with the intersection with Inokashira-dōri (井ノ頭通り). About 5.6 km of frontage roads will also be constructed along the new elevated viaduct.

The project will cost ¥170.1 billion in total and last from FY2013 through to FY2022.

Sorry to be negative here again. I guess I'm not much fun at parties.

It's great that Keio is finally moving forward with this. I've seen the Inokashira Dori crossing first hand and it's not pretty. And that was just a Sunday around noon.

However, they're really doing the minimum here that gets the MLIT off their backs. There is no forward-looking investment here, no vision. No wonder they're called ケチ王 kechi-ou ("king of cheapskates")

Yes, fully undergrounding the line would cost more, but it would also free up land that they could use to build some tasty skyscrapers above Sasazuka Station and Meidaimae. With lots of companies moving their HQs out of the Yamanote Circle and into the surrounding areas, that's printing money. Sasazuka is 3.5 km from Shinjuku, Chitose Karasuyama less than 10 km. That land should be worth something.

Of course, ideally they'd do an Odakyu and quadruple track the entire line between Sasazuka and Chofu. With the Linear Shinkansen coming to Hashimoto, that would give them a chance to create express services between Shinjuku and the first Linear station in Kanto. There's 4 million people living in the Tama area (Tokyo Prefecture west of the 23 wards), sure they want some of that?

Even if they don't quadruple track everything, at least build the 1.6 km to Meidaimae. All expresses should rush from Meidaimae to Keio Shinjuku without stop, period.

If I was in charge of planning at Keio, I'd go even further:

- Extend the Inokashira Line Meidaimae station to two platform four tracks. Do the express switchover at Meidaimae instead of Eifukucho. This alone would massively improve the usability of the northern half of the Inokashira Line. With one less express stop, they'd steal even more traffic from JR between Kichijoji and Shibuya.

- Build a new 2-platform 4-track express station on the intersection with the Seibu Tamagawa Line. Consolidate Tamareien, Musashinodai and Shiratodai into one station. While you're at it, buy some extra real estate to make it a shopping mall.
In fact, I'd just buy the Tamagawa Line from Seibu outright and develop it properly into a branch line. There are a boat racing course, a large park, Chofu Airport, International Christian University and several high schools along that line. Sure you can get more traffic out of it than Seibu treating it as a red-faced stepchild? Right now all that traffic feeds into the Chuo Line, your archenemy.

- Build a new tunnel between Fuchu keiba seimonmae, Fuchuhonmachi and Nakagawara.
Goal 1: Get more traffic from the Nambu Line and Musashino Line.
Goal 2: Speed up the line by splitting the traffic Fuchu - Shinjuku and west of Fuchu - Shinjuku. Your expresses from Hachioji and Takao won't have to do the curve to serve Fuchu.
In fact, use the branch line for ROW and build the tunnel past Higashi Fuchu. Use the new express station at the intersection with the Tamagawa Line for transfer.

With an unlimited supply of money, I'd continue the tunnel past Nakagawara and under the Tamagawa to avoid another curve, but that one is very hard to justify. You're also missing out on the traffic from Seiseki-Sakuragaoka, which fully kills the plan.

- Close the Tama Dobutsu Koen branch. You're just doubling up with the Tama Monorail. You'll survive being the only private railway without a stop by a zoo.

- Do something about the Hachioji branch. Right now, it's not connected to the Yokohama Line or the Hachiko Line. Lobby JR for a joint station with the Yokohama Line between Kitano and Hachioji. If they don't bite, threaten to move your station closer to the JR station and then extend north towards the university campusses north of Hachioji.

pudgym29 liked this post

Last edited by mkill; March 4th, 2014 at 02:40 PM.
mkill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #6803
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
As for the commuter services, it seems like a crapshoot trying to guess what the split will be, especially without any publicly available data regarding passenger ratios between the three lines at Ueno.
Yes, one of the arguments for giving more to Joban Line trains is the existence already of the Shonan Shinjuku Line, though I'm sure JR-East is really desirous to provide direct service for customers living in southern Saitama-shi (Urawa), as well as Kawaguchi-shi. Anyway, there is the big cachet in the minds of provincials of having "your" trains bound for Tokyo Station.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #6804
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkill View Post
Sorry to be negative here again. I guess I'm not much fun at parties.

It's great that Keio is finally moving forward with this. I've seen the Inokashira Dori crossing first hand and it's not pretty. And that was just a Sunday around noon.

However, they're really doing the minimum here that gets the MLIT off their backs. There is no forward-looking investment here, no vision. No wonder they're called ケチ王 kechi-ou ("king of cheapskates")

Yes, fully undergrounding the line would cost more, but it would also free up land that they could use to build some tasty skyscrapers above Sasazuka Station and Meidaimae. With lots of companies moving their HQs out of the Yamanote Circle and into the surrounding areas, that's printing money. Sasazuka is 3.5 km from Shinjuku, Chitose Karasuyama less than 10 km. That land should be worth something.
Isn't it a bit unfair to say Keio only do things on the cheap. I'm not sure how it came about, but they did do rather extensive undergrounding around Chofu station at least (the stations look nice)!

Quote:
Of course, ideally they'd do an Odakyu and quadruple track the entire line between Sasazuka and Chofu. With the Linear Shinkansen coming to Hashimoto, that would give them a chance to create express services between Shinjuku and the first Linear station in Kanto. There's 4 million people living in the Tama area (Tokyo Prefecture west of the 23 wards), sure they want some of that?
They're quadrupling parts of the track aren't they - especially at Meidaimae station at least to allow express trains to pass through and allow cross-platform transfers to expresses. Won't that make a massive difference to the bunching situation one sees (as well as the removal of crossings)?

If I was in charge of planning at Keio, I'd go even further:

Quote:
- Extend the Inokashira Line Meidaimae station to two platform four tracks. Do the express switchover at Meidaimae instead of Eifukucho. This alone would massively improve the usability of the northern half of the Inokashira Line. With one less express stop, they'd steal even more traffic from JR between Kichijoji and Shibuya.
They are quadrupling Meidaimae as part of this project.

Quote:
- Do something about the Hachioji branch. Right now, it's not connected to the Yokohama Line or the Hachiko Line. Lobby JR for a joint station with the Yokohama Line between Kitano and Hachioji. If they don't bite, threaten to move your station closer to the JR station and then extend north towards the university campusses north of Hachioji.
This I think is a good idea. It would be nice to see the Hachioji spur line become something more than it is. At the moment it almost seems a bit redundant.

It is worth noting that whilst Keio may seem to do things "cheap" - that is exactly what they offer their customers too - very cheap fares. Keio is a pretty cheap network to travel on when looking at things on a distance basis if I recall correctly. 330 yen from Tama Center to Shibuya - that's a good offer. Tachikawa to Shinjuku on JR costs 440 yen (similar distance). I think Odakyu are similar on pricing, though...
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #6805
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

As estimated by the TMG and mentioned in the article, an underground alignment would cost ¥80 billion more, a sizeable sum that is virtually impossible to recoup through any redevelopment along the segment in question... These areas are mostly dense residential neighborhoods (i.e., not many large, undeveloped parcels, much less ones that are owned by Keiō), and there's not much real attraction in this area that would bring in visitors from outside.

Plus, the existing ROW is very restricted, and the amount of developable space would only get smaller when you factor in the issues like the need to provide frontage roads for local traffic circulation (basically a requirement now for all new large grade-separation projects) and the increased citizen interest in providing more “public” uses like open space and emergency evacuation zones (the latter is especially the case following the earthquake in Tōhoku).

The Tōyoko Line undergrounding and all the rest of the Shibuya redevelopments work because there are a lot of other factors at play—Shibuya is Tōkyū's main terminal, Tōkyū owns a good portion of the land in the area, there was a large amount of space to work with surrounding the station, it's already a very active area with a huge base of customers, etc.

That isn’t really the case for this section of the Keiō Line. You can look at similar undergrounding projects, including the Tōkyū Meguro Line (Fūdō-mae to Ōokayama) and even the Odakyū Odawara Line and the Keiō Line / Sagamihara Line at Chōfu... Basically, the scale of redevelopment is pretty minor, and is concentrated at the stations. It's usually only practical to do air rights or station area development at major terminals, where you can secure the customers and tenants you need to make the development pencil out and where you have a large enough footprint to build a decent-sized building... Your average neighborhood station or any regular section of track between stations isn't really an ideal place to stick large buildings. This is especially the case for this section of the Keiō Line, which has stations that are quite small, part of the line's interurban heritage).

Last edited by quashlo; March 4th, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #6806
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

What's the word on the extension of the Keio Line (I believe it's the Sagamihara Line) into the mountains? Are there any details on the exact route available yet?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #6807
quashlo

The first cars of the new Tōkyō Monorail 10000 series are complete.

A separate angle:

They were just assembling the first full trainset:

Tōkyō Monorail also just released some CGI videos of the series on their official YouTube channel:

Northridge liked this post
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #6808
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
What's the word on the extension of the Keio Line (I believe it's the Sagamihara Line) into the mountains? Are there any details on the exact route available yet?
From a thread early last year.
Me:
Quote:
The yahoo chiebukuro answer to that is "highly unlikely"- the extension to Hashimoto was fraught with opposition from property owners, and any further extension would encounter more opposition. Apparently the city of Sagamihara also lacks a comprehensive transportation plan for the future. The risks to Keio Rlwy would outweigh the benefits.
Quashlo:
Quote:
Sagamihara City became a 政令指定都市 a few years ago, and I believe their focus on rail improvements is actually the Odakyū Tama Line extension to Sagamihara and Kamimizo (among other projects) instead of an extension of the Sagamihara Line. The Tama Line extension might gain some speed once the maglev station (at Hashimoto) and associated planning / development picks up.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post100751360
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #6809
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Ibaraki does have a lot to offer, more that just "#1 in melon production".

* Hitachi City is the HQ of one of the world's largest technology companies (of the same name)
* They have a proud samurai history in Mito han
* Tsukuba City has one of Japan's best technology universities, high tech venture companies and a major tourist spot in Tsukuba-san

That's just 5 minutes brain storm, a million yen PR campaign should be able to come up with more. They can't even make up their mind whether they are pronounced Ibaraki or Ibaragi. (Maybe start with that?)
I'm surprised that JR East hasn't talked with Spa Resort Hawaiians (which is located near Iwaki) to do a major vacation package that combines a stay at the resort plus a ride on the JR East Hitachi limited express train to the station nearest the resort plus bus transfer.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:27 AM   #6810
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
I'm surprised that JR East hasn't talked with Spa Resort Hawaiians (which is located near Iwaki) to do a major vacation package that combines a stay at the resort plus a ride on the JR East Hitachi limited express train to the station nearest the resort plus bus transfer.
But they already have:
http://travel.eki-net.biz/jrnetsbyu/...5062#detailbox

JR East's travel agency View Plaza also has day return packages for this attraction.
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #6811
quashlo

Nagoya City to break ground on two Meitetsu grade-separations in FY2019
「開かずの踏切」立体化 名鉄2区間、19年度着手へ

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/s/article/...490140133.html

Nagoya City revealed that it will break ground on the continuous grade-separation of the Nagoya Railroad (Meitetsu) Nagoya Main Line between the Yamazaki River (山崎川) and Tenpaku River (天白川) in the southern part of the city in FY2019. The project involves grade-separating 4.3 km of the line between Myōon-dōri (妙音通) in Mizuho Ward (瑞穂区) and Aharachō (阿原町) in Minami Ward (南区). The news was revealed at the February regular City Council session held on 2014.03.04.

The city will prioritize elevation of 1.3 km of the line near Moto-Hoshizaki (本星崎) Station, the location of a crossing with the Morowa–Nagoya Route (諸輪名古屋線), a major regional road that is heavily congested with traffic, primarily during the morning and evening rush hours. In a 2004 study, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (国土交通省) ranked this crossing 5th worst in the country based on the daily traffic volumes along the road and the cumulative crossing closure time.

Elevation of the 1 km segment near Yobitsugi (呼続) Station in Minami Ward, including the steel bridge over the Yamazaki River, will also be fast-tracked, with a groundbreaking also in FY2019. The lowest points on the current bridge girders are lower than the elevation of the river embankment, and there is concern that the bridge is obstructing the river’s water flow during periods of flooding. The project will resolve these concerns about natural disaster-related damage.

There are four stations on the Meitetsu Nagoya Main Line between the Yamazaki and Tenpaku Rivers, at Yobitsugi, Sakura (桜), Moto-Kasadera (本笠寺), and Moto-Hoshizaki. Since FY2006, Nagoya City has been conducting studies of soil conditions and impacts to the surrounding neighborhoods in coordination with Meitetsu. A completion date for the elevation project has not yet been determined.

===

Morning rush hour action on the quadruple-track section of the Nagoya Main Line:

Svartmetall liked this post
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #6812
quashlo

Finally, some news on that mobile app that JR East has been working on… It will go live in a few days on 2014.03.10.
http://www.jreast-app.jp/

The app allows you to do the following:

When on board trains (left to right)
- See up-to-date status on train services
- Obtain information on your position inside trains and the level of crowding and interior temperature inside each car (Yamanote Line only)
- Access realtime data on train locations (Keihin–Tōhoku Line only).

When inside stations (left to right)
- See maps of the station
- See platform-level information, such as location of vertical circulation and access to station exits or transfers to other lines (Yamanote Line only)
- Access information on station amenities (hours of staffed ticket counters, etc.).

Hopefully they’ll be able to get some of the more interesting program functions, like the crowding estimator and platform maps, up and running on the other lines as well, and make it available in other versions so that foreign tourists can use it on their phones (together with free in-train WiFi).

k.k.jetcar, Svartmetall, Abbendymion liked this post
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:17 AM   #6813
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Access realtime data on train locations (Keihin–Tōhoku Line only).
I like this, perhaps more from the enthusiast viewpoint than that of a straphanger. Ideally, you could tap on an individual train and then get the crowding/temp info, as well as the train number and timetable for that train. Perhaps in the future.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; March 5th, 2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #6814
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

That app looks very detailed! Very nice indeed. It would be nice to see the same features as used on the Keihin-Tohoku and Yamanote lines rolled out to other busy lines too.
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #6815
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Next set of travel photos:

Rush hour on the Yamanote line (very ordered and quiet)

Rush hour at Tokyo station - not as bad as it could be due to good station design:

We took the Shinkansen between Tokyo station and Shin-Yokohama. The pictures of that section of the journey are in the JAPAN | High Speed Rail thread in the Railways section.

Yokohama Municipal Subway at Shin-Yokohama station:

Blue line train:

The stop display for the blue line. Simple and effective:

All change at Yokohama station:

It is pretty busy here most of the time it seems. It's a really nice station, though.

Tokyu Toyoko line rolling stock at Minato Mirai station on the Minato Mirai line:

The murals at the station in Chinatown (Motomachi-Chukagai) station on the Minato Mirai line detail the development of the area.

A quick ride up the Tokyu Toyoko line to Jiyugaoka station (one of my favourite areas in Tokyo). I love the Tokyu suburbs:

Shibuya station

Final set (mostly of the Chuo line, Tama Monorail and Keio lines out west) coming up soon. Hope you guys don't mind the photos. I know they're not the best quality (it is very hard to take pictures in such busy stations).
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #6816
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

The quality is fine.
Nice pics btw. Did you go up in the Landmark Tower when you visited Yokohama?
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:34 PM   #6817
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
The quality is fine.
Nice pics btw. Did you go up in the Landmark Tower when you visited Yokohama?
This is my second time in Yokohama in particular. Because my wife and I went up the Skytree, we didn't go up the Landmark tower this time. Last trip I did go up the Landmark. I think I preferred the Skytree to Landmark tower.
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #6818
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

I see. If you where at Skytree you didn't miss anything to be honest.
Personally I'm a sucker for many of the top floors. At least when it is a bar there.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #6819
quashlo

A small piece of news that I missed...
The new 9000 series for Kita-Ōsaka Kyūkō was delivered earlier this year and has been out testing. Call me strange, but I'm quite fond of the ends.

Some snaps from 2014.02.17:

How it looks indoors, at Senri Chūō, with a walkthrough (walk-along?) of the set... They haven't completed all the interior furnishings (LED / LCD units are missing), and it appears they're doing some testing work (very rare to see this).

Old March 5th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #6820
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

It almost has a slightly retro look with the wood panelling inside.