daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #6841
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Yeah... Given the budget allocation (a mere ¥146 million), it doesn't look like they plan on doing much at all on the infrastructure side, so it looks like it will mostly be schedule adjustments and taking advantage of the additional tracks at Nippa and Kami-Nagaya.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #6842
quashlo

A mildly entertaining news report on Yokohama Station, Japan’s version of the Sagrada Família. Basically, regular users always say there is always some construction or another going on at the station.

k.k.jetcar liked this post
Old March 8th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #6843
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

I wish they had kept the East Exit headhouse torn down back in the 70's, though the current Lumine "fashion" building definitely generates more revenue for JR-E. As a user of Yokohama Station, it could use better passenger service facilities, namely more midori no madoguchi reservation counters, the current office is tiny given the status of the station as the fourth busiest in Japan.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #6844
quashlo

Speaking of construction, some video updates on various projects...

New platform bridge and elevated concourse under construction at JR Hiroshima Station (2014.02).

Double-tracking of the JR Yosan Line in Shikoku. This is part of the grade-separation (elevation) of the JR tracks near Matsuyama Station, which will require the relocation of the adjacent yard (操車場) to a new location, together with the double-tracking of the line between the station and the new yard.

Hanshin Kōshien Station (2014.03.07). This is the main station for the home stadium of the Hanshin Tigers baseball franchise, and Hanshin is completely redesigning the track and platform layout to increase queuing space and improve passenger flow. The platform under construction right now is a temporary platform for passengers alighting trains.

Old March 8th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #6845
quashlo

Two continuous grade-separation projects on the Hanshin Main Line (2014.02.13), Uozaki (魚崎) to Ashiya (芦屋) and Kōshien (甲子園) to Mukogawa (武庫川).

Grade separation of the JR Hanwa Line near Higashi-Kishiwada (東岸和田) Station (2014.02.11), where new bridge girders have been erected and set into place.

Renovation of Hankyū Umeda terminal (2014.02.13):

Old March 9th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #6846
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I think right now one of the next possible big time renovation projects is the total rebuilding of the Hankyū Jūsō Station, where the Hankyū Kobe, Takarazuka and Kyoto Lines split off. It may end up being the biggest station renovation project in Japan, probably as big as the planned renovation of the Meitetsu Nagoya Station.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #6847
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

I don't know, was this article published here earlier, but I think it's interesting. Or it's just rumors:

Quote:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.Uxwjqj9_uvU

New Yamanote Line station eyed
JAN 5, 2012

East Japan Railway Co. may build the first new station on the Yamanote Line since 1971, sources said Wednesday, adding the site would be between Shinagawa and Tamachi stations.

JR East is looking to start building the 30th station on the Tokyo commuter loop line in fiscal 2014 as part of its redevelopment of 50 to 75 percent of a 20-hectare rail yard located between the two stations in Minato Ward, the sources said.

A committee set up by JR East and other parties is currently examining the project, and it would take 10 years to complete the new station and surrounding facilities, a JR East official said.

The 2.2-km section between Shinagawa and Tamachi stations, which trains cover in about three minutes, is the longest stretch on the Yamanote Line in both distance and time.

Construction of the new station would start after work to extend the Joban, Tohoku and Takasaki lines to Tokyo Station from Ueno Station, connecting them directly with the Tokaido Line, is completed in fiscal 2013, the official added.

The redevelopment area under study is close to Haneda airport and Shinagawa Station, which is expected to be selected as Tokyo’s terminal for the magnetically levitated train line slated to start operating between the capital and Nagoya in 2027. In December, the area was designated as a special zone to attract foreign businesses and research and development facilities.

The last Yamanote Line station to open was Nishi-Nippori in Arakawa Ward in 1971.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #6848
quashlo

Speaking of Jūsō, ironically enough, there was a large fire near the West Exit of the station on Friday morning (2014.03.07)...

Local news special. You can see how close the fire is to the ROW (!). Total of 11 buildings and 36 shops completely burned to the ground. Kōbe Line services were severely affected, but the Takarazuka Line and Kyōto Line continued to operate on schedule.

This very well may be the best (and only) chance to do upgrades to the station, although even then, the chances are next to zero. Basically, the fire only affected a few parcels in the shopping arcade stretching around the station…. The rest of the buildings are fine.

I don’t believe Hankyū owns any of the shopping arcade, so even if they did want to do upgrades here, I can't imagine it would be a dramatic change… It seems that the most they could do is try and negotiate with the owners of the damaged properties and surrounding buildings to do a land swap, perhaps giving them space in a new tenant building (駅ビル) at the West Exit in exchange for being able to use that sliver of land as part of the station, but I imagine they would need some significant help from the local governments to orchestrate and fund such a project.

Operationally, I can’t say there’s much in need of dire fixing… The most obvious things might be eliminating the grade crossings to the north of the station, installing platform doors (plus gap fillers for the curved platforms on the Takarazuka Line and Kyōto Line), and improving internal circulation and step-free access for passengers.
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #6849
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
I don't know, was this article published here earlier, but I think it's interesting. Or it's just rumors:
I think this is pretty definitely going to happen.

When you look at the Ueno-Tokyo (Tohoku Jukan) line, you should think of it as primarily a real estate project - transportation comes second. The whole thing that makes the project pencil out is that it allows them to close most of the yards between Shinagawa and Tamachi and redevelop them.

I think it's pretty likely that JR will put the new station right at Sengakuji; first, it's right at the halfway point between Tamachi and Shinagawa; second, they have little to lose and certainly something to gain by having a transfer with the Keikyu and the Asakusa line, not to mention centering their redevelopment efforts on a spot accessible by more lines.

dimlys1994, pudgym29 liked this post
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #6850
quashlo

More construction updates…

Next, a couple videos on the work to extend the JR Ōsaka Higashi Line to Shin-Ōsaka Station… First, the new platforms under construction at Shigino Station (2014.02.13). A temporary passage has been completed to secure passenger flow.

There was also a track switchout between Hanaten and Kyōbashi on the Gakken Toshi Line (Katamachi Line) that was completed on 2014.02.23. Not the best video, but the switchout point is at 2:25.

New transfer “gates” at Atsugi Station between the JR Sagami Line and Odakyū Odawara Line (2014.01.24):

Tsukuba Express trackwork at Moriya Station. If you remember, this involves double-tracking the yard lead.

Old March 10th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #6851
quashlo

There was a track switchout for the continuous grade-separation (elevation) of 3.3 km of the Shin-Keisei Line in Kamagaya City, between Kamagaya Daibutsu (鎌ケ谷大仏) and Kunugiyama (くぬぎ山). This project is a Chiba Prefecture urban planning project that will eliminate 10 grade crossings and replace the stations at Hatsutomi (初富), Shin-Kamagaya (新鎌ケ谷), and Kita-Hatsutomi (北初富) with new elevated stations. This particular track switchout was completed on the early morning of 2014.02.23, and involved switching track near Kita-Hatsutomi Station, from the Kita-Hatsutomi No. 6 crossing (北初富6号踏切) to the Kunugiyama No. 3 crossing (くぬぎ山3号踏切), as well as completing a temporary headhouse at Kita-Hatsutomi to last until the completion of the permanent station building to serve the elevated tracks.

Nighttime track switchout:

Video report after the switchout. The first switchout point is at 0:45, as the line passes underneath the Hokusō Line.

Old March 10th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #6852
quashlo

Nagoya City considers infill station on Higashiyama Line subway
名古屋市、幻の「柳橋駅」設置検討 地下鉄・東山線

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/s/article/...790014521.html

Nagoya City is considering constructing a new infill station on the city’s subway network between Nagoya and Fushimi (伏見) Stations on the Higashiyama Line, tentatively called Yanagibashi (柳橋) Station. At the regular February session of the City Council on 2014.03.16, the city’s mayor, in response to a question from a councilmember, indicated he was open to the idea of a new station at the proposed location.

The Higashiyama Line opened in 1957, and the current route 1 km section between Nagoya and Fushimi Stations travels underneath Nishiki-dōri (錦通). The proposed Yanagibashi Station was included in the original plans for the line in 1955, and stretched 120 m long east–west underneath Nishiki-dōri between Nishi-Yanagichō (西柳町) and the Nishi-Yanagi Park East (西柳公園東) intersection. The councilmember in question obtained the original plans and walked the underground tunnels at the location of the proposed station. A decision was not made on whether or not to construct the station when the line was being built, but the column spacing and track infrastructure at the location were designed and built with a future station in mind.

With the opening of the Chūō Shinkansen maglev in 2027, funding from the national government is now available for infrastructure improvements in the Yanagibashi district. While a new station would increase travel times operating and maintenance costs for the subway, the Transportation Bureau is open to the possibility of a private-sector redevelopment centered around the new station.

Old March 10th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #6853
quashlo

Sōtetsu to introduce new limited express services to schedule
相鉄、4月27日ダイヤ改正で「特急」導入

http://response.jp/article/2014/03/10/218835.html

On 2014.03.10, Sagami Railway (相模鉄道) (Sōtetsu) announced new schedule changes primarily for the midday periods to take effect starting 2014.04.27. The biggest change to be instituted by the railway is the establishment of a new limited express (特急) service.

The new limited express services will operate 2 trains per hour (tph) between 10:00 and 16:00 on both the Sōtetsu Main Line (Yokohama – Ebina (海老名)) and Izumino Line (Yokohama – Shōnandai (湘南台)). The Main Line services will make intermediate stops at Futamatagawa (二俣川) and Yamato (大和), while the Izumino Line services will stop at Futamatagawa and Izumino. Travel times will be 26 minutes for Yokohama – Ebina and 24 minutes for Yokohama – Shōnandai. In contrast, the railway will modify express services, removing them from the midday period and focusing them primarily during the morning and evening rush hours.

Rapid services currently operating on the Izumino Line between Yokohama and Shōnandai will instead be modified to operate as Main Line services between Yokohama and Ebina during the midday (10:00 to 16:00). Instead of the current 3 tph on weekdays and 2 tph on weekends and holidays, the revamped rapid services will see more frequent trips, operating 4 tph on both weekdays and weekends. The stopping pattern between Yokohama and Futamatagawa will remain the same as currently (stops at Hoshikawa (星川) and Tsurugamine (鶴ヶ峰), operating all-stop between Futamatagawa and the Main Line terminus at Ebina.

Travel times between Futamataawa and Hiranumabashi (平沼橋) will also be reduced. Currently, the midday schedule calls for cross-platform transfers between rapid and local services at Hoshikawa Station, resulting in delays to trailing express services. The elimination of this timed transfer will save as much as 90 seconds for express services between Futamatagawa and Yokohama, while locals will save as much as 3 minutes between Futamatagawa and Hiranumabashi. The completion of construction work near Seya (瀬谷) Station will also eliminate temporary slow zones, saving about one minute for trains passing through Seya.

New stopping patterns:

Orange = limited express (特急)
Red = express (急行)
Blue = rapid (快速)
Black = local (各停)

Weekday stopping pattern detail by time period (current on left, future on right), with trains per hour in the numbered bubbles:

Top row = morning rush (0720 to 0820)
Center row = midday (1000 to 1700)
Bottom row = evening rush (1700 to 2200)

===

Press release:
http://www.sotetsu.co.jp/news_release/pdf/140310_01.pdf

Construction updates on the Sōtetsu network (2013.12.05):

Continuous grade-sep at Hoshikawa Station. The new elevated station at Hoshikawa is shaping up nicely.

Upgrades at Nishiya Station, part of the Sōtetsu–JR Link and Sōtetsu–Tōkyū Link:

pudgym29 liked this post
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #6854
quashlo

Regional railways buy popular trains secondhand to lure enthusiasts
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/economy/AJ201403100003

Quote:
TOYAMA--An orange and red bilevel train zooms past the snowcapped 3,000-meter peaks of Toyoma Prefecture’s Tateyama Mountains as a crowd of train enthusiasts snaps photos from alongside the tracks. But looking at the license plates of the parked cars, it's apparent that many have come all the way from the Kansai region.

That should please Toyama Chiho Railway, which unlike many regional railway operators plagued by falling ridership, is trying to attract urban train buffs with the once-popular passenger rail cars of city lines.

The company, based in the city of Toyama, hoped to cash in on the fame of the Double-Decker when it purchased the train from Keihan Electric Railway in Osaka.

According to a Keihan spokesperson, the train, built in 1995, was so popular that "many passengers stayed waiting on the platform until the Double-Decker would arrive." Despite its hordes of fans, the train was put out of service in March 2013.

Last August, the train was reincarnated as the Double-Decker Express, a limited express service catering to tourists.

Toshio Ishiguro, a 60-year-old resident of Tateyama, who has followed Toyama Chiho Railways for 40 years, said half-bewilderedly, "As a local, it pleases me to hear that our regional railway is making news outside the prefecture, too."

Another popular train operated by the railway is the Alps Express, which is loved for its warm, wood-grain interior. Originally a Red Arrow Limited Express for the Tokorozawa, Saitama Prefecture-based Seibu Railway, it was purchased in 1996. Two years ago, Eiji Mitooka, the renowned industrial designer whose work includes the design of the Kyushu Shinkansen bullet train, oversaw the train's renovation project.

With the Hokuriku Shinkansen scheduled to open in 2015 linking Toyama with Tokyo, Yuji Inada, Toyama Chiho Railway's senior managing director, is enthusiastic about new business opportunities.

"Urban trains are appealing because it's easier to generate buzz due to their existing fan base. We want to turn used rail cars into tourism resources to attract riders from outside the prefecture," he said.

SEEKING ESCAPE FROM LOSSES

According to the transport ministry, the operators of 69 of Japan's 91 regional railways had pretax losses in the fiscal year ending March 2013. Among them was Toyama Chiho Railway, which recorded its sixth year of losses in a row with a loss of 460 million yen ($4.48 million).

To reduce costs, the company began looking at used rail cars. The 30 or so rail cars Toyama Chiho Railway has bought from the likes of Keihan have cost more than 10 million yen apiece. That’s under a tenth of the price of a new one, which can run up to several hundreds of millions of yen.

Naturally, other regional railways are also moving to purchase used rail cars from the big private companies.

Fuji Kyuko, based in Fujiyoshida, Yamanashi Prefecture, purchased the 20000 Series "Romance Car," retired in March 2012, from Tokyo-based Odakyu Electric Railway. Takamatsu-Kotohira Electric Railroad in Takamatsu and Nagano Electric Railway in Nagano also operate used trains from big private companies.

By actively trying to lure one-time train enthusiasts from the cities, however, Toyama Chiho Railways is unique in that it is turning the "hand-me-down" image on its head and putting it to its advantage.

Nobuyuki Sato, a transportation commentator and instructor at Asia University, commends the strategy.

"It's a positive purchase because it makes for news (that promotes the trains)," he said.

One major issue, however, still troubles the company. Most train enthusiasts tend to use personal vehicles to get around instead of riding the trains, as they are unable to photograph a passenger rail car if they are riding in it.

To tackle that problem, Toyama Chiho Railway held a special promotional event last autumn giving rides on the Double-Decker. The company said the response from those who attended was positive, although it’s too soon to assess the overall impact on business.

Noriko Yagasaki, a former counselor at the Japan Tourism Agency and currently a research associate professor at Tokyo Metropolitan University, pointed out, "It's important to keep stimulating interest in a variety of ways."

Toyama Chiho Railway's Double-Decker Express, using Keihan Electric Railway's former express trains, runs past the Tateyama Mountains in Kurobe, Toyama Prefecture. (Takeshi Terawaki)

Toyama Chiho Railway's Alps Express uses trains that were formerly used for Seibu Railway's Red Arrow Limited Express. (Takeshi Terawaki)
Scenes on the Toyama Chitetsu:

pudgym29 liked this post
Old March 11th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #6855
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Found this image of a through train running south from Ueno back before the Shinkansen.

Also, here's a track diagram of Tokyo right after the Tokaido Shinkansen opened.

I have a question, though. What does the double chevron emblem stand for?

Seen here on a 183 series train, it also appears on various places in popular culture (Gundams, fictional flags, etc.)

What does it mean, and where did it come from?

pudgym29 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #6856
quashlo

The refurbished ex-Kyōto tram in Umekōji Park (梅小路公園) in Kyōto City began regular service again. This is N-27 (N電27号), a historic tram that began running in 1895, and has since been carrying park visitors since 1995. As part of a redesign of the park in preparation for the opening of JR West’s new railway museum, the city constructed two new squares inside the park and realigned the tram tracks to connect the two spaces. The new 230 m track is unelectrified, and local electronics manufacturer GS Yuasa (GSユアサ) donated new lithium-ion batteries to power the vehicles.
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASG3855TBG38PLZB00H.html

Video report:

Old March 11th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #6857
quashlo

Pictures:
http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/.../03/10_18.html

No overhead, and the trolley pole is normally locked down.

Despite the lack of overhead, the operator will still step out to reverse the pole direction at the terminals, though.

One of the terminals, serving the indoor exhibit space regarding the city’s former tram system. You can see the dual guage track, designed to handle both 3 ft 6 in for the N-27 and standard gauge for the “Broad-Gauge 1 series” (広軌1形) tram on display inside the building.

Charging up. Batteries are located underneath the passenger seats.

Broad-Gauge 1 series tram

One of the two new squares inside the park is devoted to the history of the former tram system. The two trams resting under the canopy have been converted into a souvenir shop and café.

Inside #505, which has been converted into a café:

#935 and #2001 here have been converted into visitor information centers.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old March 11th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #6858
quashlo

Scene at Utsunomiya Station for the public test ride on JR East’s new “ACCUM” battery-powered trains (officially the EV-E301 series) for the Karasuyama Line in Tochigi (2014.03.09). Revenue service will begin in a few days on 2014.03.15.

Tochigi TV video report from a while ago. You can see the interior in this.

Old March 11th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #6859
quashlo

It appears that the at least some of the 205 series trains from the Yokohama Line will also be making their way to Indonesia…
http://rail.ktr.jp/2014/03/07/yokohama205-indo/

The last shipment of Saikyō Line 205 series trains has also left port for Jakarta:

image hosted on flickr

Blackraven liked this post
Old March 11th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #6860
quashlo

A few how-to videos from JR East regarding the new mobile app…

Real-time status of train service:

Station maps:

Registering a “home station”:

GPS data for Keihin–Tōhoku Line trains:

Svartmetall liked this post