daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #6861
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Another one to file under “strange”…

There’s a new smartphone app that does a pretty decent job of recreating Shinjuku Station to serve as the setting for an action RPG game. The goal is to find the treasure hidden in the TMG Building, solving puzzles and avoiding traps along the way.
http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2.../11/75068.html

pudgym29, Blackraven liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2014, 03:53 AM   #6862
quashlo

New JR Kyūshū railyard at Haiki opens
早岐駅にJR新車両基地

http://www.nishinippon.co.jp/nnp/nagasaki/article/75323

A ceremony was held on 2014.03.12 to celebrate the completion of the new Sasebo Rolling Stock Center (佐世保車両センター) at JR Haiki (早岐) Station in Haiki 1-chōme, Sasebo City. The new ¥5 billion facility will serve as JR Kyūshū’s new inspection and maintenance hub for trains in Nagasaki Prefecture, and will be commissioned on 2014.03.15.

The yard occupies about 30,000 sq m of area, and includes a 4,500 sq m inspection and maintenance building. A new fully-automated railcar washing machine will substantially save the time required to wash trains.

A total of 67 railcars, including Midori limited expresses serving Sasebo Station and Seaside Liner rapid trains on the Ōmura Line will officially be on the new yard’s rolling stock roster. A total of 75 railway employees will work at the new facility, which is part of the continuous grade-separation of the Nagasaki Main Line and redevelopment of JR Nagasaki Station in conjunction with the FY2022 opening of the West Kyūshū (Nagasaki) route of the Kyūshū Shinkansen. As part of these efforts, Nagasaki Rolling Stock Center (長崎車両センター) adjacent to Nagasaki Station will be decommissioned, and its Inspection and maintenance duties will be transferred to the new facility in Haiki.

===

Farewell event for the depot at Nagasaki Station, which has been in service for 117 years, although it only moved to its current location in 1935.

Svartmetall liked this post
Old March 13th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #6863
quashlo

JR West announces additional platform door installations

Press releases:
http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl...page_5329.html
http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl...page_5331.html

Following permanent installations at Kita-Shinchi (北新地) and Ōsaka Tenman-gū (大阪天満宮) on the JR Tōzai Line, JR West has announced that it will install its third platform door installation, this time at Kyōbashi Station. As can be expected, this will only be for the Tōzai Line, where the rolling stock is all four-door cars. The installation will consist of 1.3 m tall (chest-high) platform doors with 2.9 m openings, covering 140 m along both tracks at the station.

The second piece of news involves JR West’s decision to begin the second phase of their trial program with rope platform doors. The first installation began operating at Sakurajima (桜島) Station on the JR Yumesaki Line in December and will last through to the end of this month, but have now announced that they will also install the system on a trial basis to Platform 3 (inside inbound track) at Rokkō-michi (六甲道) Station on the JR Kōbe Line (Tōkaidō Line). The doors will be installed along the full length of the platform, which handles 12-car trains.

The station is served by both three- and four-door rolling stock, is not a turnback station (trains arrive and depart, in sequence), and has a relatively high ridership, making it an ideal choice for the second phase of the trial program.

Svartmetall, Blackraven liked this post
Old March 13th, 2014, 03:55 AM   #6864
quashlo

Kusatsu City to test articulated buses
長~いバス導入で行列解消!? 県内初 草津市が検討、秋にも試走 滋賀

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...2060001-n1.htm

Kusatsu City is considering introducing high-capacity articulated buses. In FY2014, the city will carry out a simulation of the service, running between JR Minami-Kusatsu (南草津) Station and Ritsumeikan University’s Biwako–Kusatsu Campus (立命館大びわこ・くさつキャンパス), and will commission some systems design work for the project. Actual trial service with articulated buses will begin this fall. The project is designed to increase capacity on fixed-route bus services, and could make Kusatsu the first city in Shiga Prefecture to operate articulated buses.

Minami-Kusatsu Station is the second busiest station in Shiga Prefecture after JR Kusatsu Station, and the closest station to the Ritsumeikan University campus and production plants for several major corporations. As a result, bus ridership is relatively high during the commute periods, when some riders are left stranded and waiting at bus stops because there is no room on board buses.

As a result, the city began looking at articulated buses, which have higher capacity than standard buses. Because of the size of the buses and the resulting differences in turning radius, the city will run computer analyses to determine whether the vehicles can still safely follow existing bus routes. The city will also consider a signal preemption system that will give buses the green light as they approach intersections.

If the computer analysis shows no fatal flaws in using the articulated buses, the city will begin field trial service as early as this autumn. The city would lease one vehicle from either Gifu City or Sanda City (Hyōgo Prefecture), where the buses already operate in regular revenue service.

The distance between Minami-Kusatsu Station and the Ritsumeikan University campus is about 5 km at its shortest, with Ōmi Railway Bus (近江鉄道バス) operating four separate routes. The city is also considering subcontracting out operations of the articulated bus to the private sector.

===

Bus ride from the Ritsumeikan campus to Minami-Kusatsu Station:

Old March 13th, 2014, 03:56 AM   #6865
quashlo

The design for icsca, the new IC card for the Sendai area, has been finalized. The system will be rolled out first on the Namboku Line subway starting in December, and gradually expanded to the city’s publicly- and privately-operated bus systems, as well as the under-construction Tōzai Line. The bird caricature is supposed to be a swallow, coming from the “bamboo and swallows” (竹に雀) crest of the Date (伊達) clan of daimyō lords.
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2014/02/27/420/

Svartmetall, Blackraven liked this post
Old March 13th, 2014, 03:57 AM   #6866
quashlo

Odakyū commissions solar plant at rolling stock depot
電車基地の太陽光発電稼働 小田急電鉄が東京・世田谷で

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...4A220C1L83000/

On 2014.02.28, Odakyū Electric Railway (小田急電鉄) commissioned a new solar power plant constructed at Kitami Depot (喜多見電車基地) in Setagaya Ward, Tōkyō. The facility is capable of generating about 58 kWh annually—enough to power 160 households—and is Setagaya Ward’s largest solar power plant. The railway is also considering introducing similar power plants at its other facilities in and around Tōkyō.

The project is Odakyū’s first venture into the solar power business. Kitami is one of the railway’s three largest yards, located about three minutes on foot from Kitami Station.

The railway installed about 2,600 solar panels on approx. 8,400 sq m of rooftop space on the depot’s administrative building and training center. All of the electricity generated by the facility will be sold at a fixed price to Tōkyō Electric Power Co. (TEPCO). The annual power generated is expected be worth about ¥23 million.

Odakyū is eager to introduce similar power generation facilities at other potential locations in an effort to reduce environmental impacts and create profit from unused land owned by the railway.

===

Press release:
http://www.odakyu.jp/program/info/da...3_7476331_.pdf

Svartmetall, pudgym29 liked this post
Old March 16th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #6867
quashlo

MLIT grants approvals to operate Kabe Line extension
JR西日本、可部線電化延伸事業の鉄道事業許可を取得 - 1日99本を運転予定

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2014/02/26/163/

On 2014.02.25, JR West announced that it had received approvals from the MLIT to operate the proposed electrification and extension of the Kabe Line 1.6 km from its current terminus at Kabe (可部) Station. The project involves electrifying a portion of the line that was discontinued when the unelectrified section of the line between Kabe and Sandan-kyō (三段峡) was abandoned in December 2003. With urbanization on the section from Kabe to the site of the former of the Kōdo (河戸) Station, JR West will electrify and re-extend service onto this section, constructing two new stations, tentatively called Shin-Kabe (新可部) and Shin-Kōdo (新河戸). Revenue service will commence in spring 2016 with 99 trains a day.

The railway announced that it had reached an agreement with Hiroshima City regarding the ¥2.7 billion project in February 2013, and applied for approvals to operate the service with the MLIT on 2013.11.27.

===

Press release:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/artic...page_5238.html

Promo for a DVD marking the 10th anniversary of the abandonment of the unelectrified section of the Kabe Line:

Svartmetall, orulz liked this post
Old March 16th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #6868
quashlo

Takamatsu City considers expanding IruCa coverage of ferry routes
「IruCa」利用航路の拡大を検討/高松市

http://www.shikoku-np.co.jp/kagawa_n...20140313000133

On 2014.03.12, five members of the Takamatsu City Council present at the March council session raised questions about IruCa usage on ferry routes in Takamatsu.

Currently, Kotoden’s IC card system is accepted on two routes out of Takamatsu, namely the routes to Shōdoshima Island (小豆島) and Uno. According to the mayor, expanding IruCa coverage to other ferry routes would improve convenience for visitors and enhance connectivity with outlying islands, revitalizing the regional economy. In particular, the mayor stated that he would like to proceed into negotiations with Kotoden and ferry operators to expand the system to the Ogishima (男木島) route, as well as the various islands planned to host the upcoming Setouchi International Art Festival (瀬戸内国際芸術祭).

===

IruCa also recently rolled out an expanded discount program for transferring between trains and buses. Originally, the discount when transferring was ¥20, but Takamatsu City will provide additional funding to increase that by ¥80 to ¥100. Good to see smaller ciities like Takamatsu and Toyama actually trying to make transit work instead of just whining when the railway company says they can no longer support the service on their own.
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASG2X3FC9G2XPLXB002.html

Speaking of IC cards in Shikoku, here are new readers installed at Marugame Station (2014.03.01):

Earlier this year, a similar scene at Tadotsu Station (2014.01.25):

Old March 16th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #6869
quashlo

JR West announces renovation of Kanazawa Station

Press release:
http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl...page_5070.html

This is in preparation for the opening of the Hokuriku Shinkansen next year. Work already began in January and will last through to March 2015. The station’s main concourse, connecting the East Exit and West Exit, will be remodeled with Ishikawa- and Kanazawa-themed artwork and other elements, and they will implement other amenity-related improvements, included relocation of the Midori no Madoguchi (みどりの窓口) staffed ticket counters, construction of new zairaisen platform-level waiting rooms, installation of more coin lockers, installation of a new porter counter to store luggage, and restroom renovations and accessibility improvements.

Remodeled concourse, looking from the West Exit side

Kanazawa City will also undertake a remodeling of the bus / taxi information kiosk at the East Exit station plaza:
http://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/is...402000039.html

Old March 17th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #6870
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

Deny me, will you?

I think this is the thread where I should announce this.
After a 16-month span, I am finally getting back to Yokohama | Tokyo in mid-April. Astonishingly, I got a pair of cheap non-stop flights on American Airlines equipment (AA153 & 154), codeshared to Malaysia Airlines, for $1075.20!
I'm staying in Yokohama @ Yokohama Hostel Village.
I am going to take up Keikyū on its deal to go to the Miura Peninsula and have tuna (as popularized by Andrew Zimmern). It probably also involves getting more photographs of the tranverse-seated 2100 series trains.
I also somehow managed to sign up for Japan Do! on the weekend I am scheduled to be there. If you are going to be there, you should click-through on FlyerTalk and let it know.

DoctorWunderlich liked this post

Last edited by pudgym29; March 17th, 2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: My netbook was dying. I managed to get the core of my message out here before it died.
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #6871
DoctorWunderlich

Likes (Received): 0

A ride on the Kanazawa Seaside line is also fun, great views too.
DoctorWunderlich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #6872
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quashlo, thanks as always for the updates.

I have to admit that it is somewhat gratifying to see them admitting they were at least partially wrong to close the Kabe line.

I think I had mentioned this before, but the portion from Kabe to Kake was pretty slow and very curvy. With just two exceptions, it just follows every bend of the meandering Ōta river.

The portion from Kake to Sandankyo was built later and with the intent of extending it all the way to Hamada, so they built it with tunnels and bridges that are longer and more numerous, bypassing many of the sharp horseshoe curves of the river.

This line doesn't go through a very densely populated part of Japan, but I have to wonder if it might not have lasted longer, if the middle section was built or upgraded to be as fast as the outer section of the line. But given the way it was built, and that it was never extended to Hamada, buses were faster and the line was doomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
MLIT grants approvals to operate Kabe Line extension
JR西日本、可部線電化延伸事業の鉄道事業許可を取得 - 1日99本を運転予定

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2014/02/26/163/

On 2014.02.25, JR West announced that it had received approvals from the MLIT to operate the proposed electrification and extension of the Kabe Line 1.6 km from its current terminus at Kabe (可部) Station. The project involves electrifying a portion of the line that was discontinued when the unelectrified section of the line between Kabe and Sandan-kyō (三段峡) was abandoned in December 2003. With urbanization on the section from Kabe to the site of the former of the Kōdo (河戸) Station, JR West will electrify and re-extend service onto this section, constructing two new stations, tentatively called Shin-Kabe (新可部) and Shin-Kōdo (新河戸). Revenue service will commence in spring 2016 with 99 trains a day.

The railway announced that it had reached an agreement with Hiroshima City regarding the ¥2.7 billion project in February 2013, and applied for approvals to operate the service with the MLIT on 2013.11.27.

===

Press release:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/artic...page_5238.html

Promo for a DVD marking the 10th anniversary of the abandonment of the unelectrified section of the Kabe Line:

quashlo liked this post
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #6873
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Umm, I'm sorry, but I can't access the map.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #6874
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Umm, I'm sorry, but I can't access the map.
You mean my link? I just fixed it. Thanks.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #6875
quashlo

Japan to provide smartcard system for Dhaka
バングラでIC乗車券 渋滞解消へ日本の技術

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/wo...502000231.html

IC farecards (smartcards) developed by Japan for use on trains and buses will be introduced into Bangladesh as part of a three-year Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) (国際協力機構) program starting this April.

The program was the idea of a Bangladeshi employee working at N-Wave (エヌ・ウェーブ), a 50-person software development firm headquartered in Iwamotochō (岩本町) in Tōkyō’s Chiyoda Ward.

The system will be introduced to the capital, Dhaka, where buses form the main means of transport. Since ticket sales are handled separately by each operating company, long queues form at bus stops as passengers wait to purchase their ticket, increasing dwell times and exacerbating traffic congestion. Other problems stem from ticketing staff stealing embezzling portions of the ticket revenues or passenger’s change, making it difficult to obtain accurate estimates of actual revenues. With slow progress on road improvements and increasing rates of adoption of automobiles and motorcycles, roadway congestion is getting worse.

The Bangladeshi employee originally proposed introducing an IC card system to Bangladesh. N-Wave then brought the idea in front of the national bus operating company and enlisted help from close business partner Sony, introducing the system to portions of Dhaka’s bus network in 2009. N-Wave has since been involved in the operations and other aspects of the system.

After introduction of the system proved effective in reducing instances of fare evasion and increasing the accuracy of revenue and ridership data, JICA will provide a total of about ¥400 million in funding for the project over a three-year period to March 2017. The project is being executed by Dhaka’s Urban Transport Improvement Bureau (ダッカ都市交通調整局) and will establish a fare system based on IC cards.

Over 20,000 cards similar to Tōkyō’s Suica card have already been distributed to local bus users. Upcoming efforts will also include designing the card system for interoperability across multiple operators, with the hope of eventually expanding it to railways in the future.

Old March 18th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #6876
quashlo

Takasago City still holds hopes for name change for JR stations
JR「高砂」駅は実現可能? 名称変更の経費高く困難

http://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/touban...06781879.shtml

None of the JR stations located in Hyōgo Prefecture’s Takasago City (高砂市) feature the city’s name, and the city continues to have hopes that a name change will put the city “back” on JR maps. Of the 10 cities and one village along Hyōgo Prefecture’s east coastline from Akō (赤穂) to Amagasaki (尼崎), only Takasago City and Harima Town (播磨町), home to Tsuchiyama (土山) Station, do not have a JR station to their name. While a name change would increase the city’s name recognition, there are many obstacles to getting the plan realized, including cost.

Takasago City is currently home to two JR stations: Sone (曽根) Station in the city’s Amida (阿弥陀) district and Hōden (宝殿) Station in the city’s Kazume (神爪) district. The former Takasago (高砂) Station and Takasago-kō (高砂港) Station disappeared from JR maps when the former JNR Takasago Line was abandoned in 1984. While there was talk in the City Council in 2000 of establishing a new station to be called “Takasago Station”, those plans were shelved, while in Harima Town, the name change is currently a non-issue.

The biggest obstacle to a name change is the cost, estimated at several hundred millions of year due to the need to modify station signage, fare charts at other stations, and ticket printing systems, as well as road signs and bus signage. According to the city, a similar effort to change two station names in 2008 cost Ōtsu City (大津市) ¥130 million.

At City Council meetings, some councilmembers requested that the name of Hōden Station be changed. While the station is located within Takasago City limits, it is in close proximity to the border with Kakogawa City (加古川市), and the majority of the station’s 20,000 average daily users are residents of Kakogawa City, making a name change difficult. The mayor remained committed to the effort, however, saying it would improve the city’s brand image.

Meanwhile, the city already has a station to its name on private railway San’yō Electric Railway (山陽電鉄). Among local governments along the eastern coast of Hyōgo Prefecture, Kakogawa City is the only one to not have a private railway station to its name.

Old March 18th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #6877
quashlo

Kōbe to increase bus service to Port Island
ポーアイ方面のバス増便 ラッシュ時の混雑緩和へ

http://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/kobe/2...06786225.shtml

In an effort to decrease overcrowding on the Port Liner (ポートライナー) AGT system, Kōbe added 3 more morning rush hour departures from Sannomiya bound for Port Island starting 2014.03.17. The buses will serve the route terminating at the Central Public Hospital (中央市民病院), increasing convenience for commuters and patients at the city’s Biomedical Innovation Center (医療産業都市).

According to the city, crowding levels on Port Liner trains bound for Port Island are about 139% during the 8:00 hour on weekdays (as of April 2013). There are a total of 11 bus departures during this time period, bound for MOL and Port Island Campus (ポーアイキャンパス), but none destined for the hospital. As part of a trial program, the city will coordinate with bus operator Shinki Bus (神姫バス) to provide 3 additional trips serving the hospital, departing Sannomiya (outside the Sogō department store) at 8:06, 8:21, and 8:50 and making the journey to the hospital via Iryō Center (医療センター) Station in about 17 minutes. The city will cover any operating losses for the additional service, which will remain in operation through March 2015 as part of the trial.

===

Port Liner cab view (Sannomiya to Kōbe Airport):

Svartmetall, k.k.jetcar, geometarkv liked this post
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #6878
quashlo

Seibu Railway considering extending Red Arrow service to Yokohama
西武鉄道、レッドアロー号横浜直通を検討

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASG3G5VJ8G3GUTNB00X.html

Through-service of Seibu Ikebukuro Line and Tōbu Tōjō Line trains beyond Shibuya to Yokohama marked a one-year anniversary on 2014.03.16, and while ridership in both directions has grown substantially, the majority of passenger flow is from Saitama to Yokohama. In an effort to increase passengers coming from the Yokohama area and catalyze tourism in the Chichibu area, Seibu Railway is considering extending Red Arrow limited express service.

According to Seibu, daily ridership on the Ikebukuro Line has increased about 8,000 passengers year-over-year since the commencement of through-services with the Tōkyū Tōyoko Line and Minato Mirai Line. In particular, non-commuter pass ridership at the Ikebukuro Line’s outer terminal in Hannō (飯能) increased 3.2%, with passengers disembarking at the station, located at the base of the Chichibu Mountain (秩父連山) for hiking. A special New Year’s service departing from Motomachi–Chūkagai attracted 350 passengers in the late evening and early morning hoping to see the first sunrise of the new year in Hannō.

According to Seibu’s president, Hannō’s name-recognition has increased somewhat after destination signs began showing “Hannō” instead of “Shibuya”.

===

Seibu 10000 series Red Arrow:

Old March 18th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #6879
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Kōbe to increase bus service to Port Island
Port Liner cab view (Sannomiya to Kōbe Airport):

First time I've heard they use the numbering reference in announcements.
Makes sense.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #6880
quashlo

Yeah, few systems incorporate the numbering into the announcements...
Ōsaka does it as well: