daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #6981
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
That's some neat info.

Thanks a lot for that.

P.S.
With that said though, as much as I understand that there are individual threads regarding Japanese rail transit separated by region/area/locale, I still hope that we can continue to keep this thread alive and active as much as possible
Indeed. There is a lot of development outside the major metropolitan areas so I do hope they'll be updated still by those who have the knowledge to share.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #6982
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 464

Sotetsu-Tokyu Toyoko link information!

I was recently back in Hiyoshi, Yokohama where I used to live and saw that they've started taking soil samples and putting up construction notices for this major project!

This project aims to build a tunnel connecting the western Sotetsu Main line near Nishiya station to the Tokyu Toyoko line at Hiyoshi station, with stops at Hazawa, Shin-Yokohama, and Tsunashima (but east of the Toyoko Line station, so maybe it'll be called 'Shin-Tsunashima')

Plans are to have trains from both the Toyoko Line and Meguro line through service into the tunnel and continue to either Ebina or Shonandai on the Sotetsu Main line and Izumino lines respectively.

The set up for Hiyoshi station has been finalized according to this diagram.

current configuration

completed configuration
  • Some things are very apparent when looking at this configuration...
  • The Meguro line will only turn around half as many trains after this-- There's only room for one train sitting in the layover track. The rest will continue on to the new through line... or perhaps the Toyoko line too, and it can happen now because--
  • The Meguro line trains will go from 6 cars to 8 cars. There's always been room to handle them on the Meguro line and also on the Toei Mita and Tokyo Metro Namboku lines. Look how much longer that layover track is...of course that also means some of these 8 car Meguro line trains could run all the way down on the Toyoko line too...and just turn around at Kikuna. Lots of possibilities.
  • It could happen the other way as well-- that turn around track is long-- so 10 car trains can fit from the looks of it. Meaning express 10 car Toyoko Line trains can short-run here, just like they did in the past.

Here's a little graphic on how they're going to split the elevated section just beyond Hiyoshi station so that the tunnel mouth can be made.

And here is a Google Map of the new alignment.
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:44 PM   #6983
zerokei

Likes (Received): 8

Thanks for the info!

I haven't made a post in ages but use to read from now and then.

According to the drawing of the completed track configuration it seems that Hiyoshi bound Meguro line trains cannot enter the Toyoko line though.

Also in order for a Toyoko line train to terminate at Hiyoshi it has to arrive and depart from the Meguro line platforms as that seems to be the only access to the turn-around track.

I didn't know that Toyoko express trains used to turn around in Hiyoshi! Recently on my way home in the evenings I sometimes catch Musashikosugi bound locals. Those trains usually do not wait to be passed in Jiyugaoka and are less crowded then trains running the whole length of the line.

A little bit off topic but, have you moved from Hiyoshi? I really enjoyed your YouTube clips from when the Toyoko and Fukutoshin lines connected. Anyway keep up the good work!

Sent from my SBM203SH using Tapatalk
zerokei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #6984
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Here partially refurbished of 66 series on Sakaisuji line, Osaka Subway.

Now, the first two units for the Chuo Line (24 series) with new LED lights and LCD screens.

They add the number of car (like in 30000 series for the Tanimachi line)

New low-energy light with LED technology.

LCD screens alternated with normal line-thermometers.

Source: http://saitoshika-west.com/

maverick01 liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #6985
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokei View Post
Thanks for the info!

According to the drawing of the completed track configuration it seems that Hiyoshi bound Meguro line trains cannot enter the Toyoko line though.

Also in order for a Toyoko line train to terminate at Hiyoshi it has to arrive and depart from the Meguro line platforms as that seems to be the only access to the turn-around track.

I didn't know that Toyoko express trains used to turn around in Hiyoshi!

A little bit off topic but, have you moved from Hiyoshi?
I actually live in Taiwan at the moment due to work, but go back to Japan and Yokohama often (just 2 hour flight away)

Meguro line trains can enter the Toyoko line between Den'en-Chofu and Tamagawa (or enter the Tamagawa line for that matter.) There's also some crossover switches by Motosumiyoshi and Musashi-Kosugi to help with yard movements.

Until 2000, Those trains turning at Hiyoshi predate the Meguro line (was still the Mekama line at that time) and Moto-Sumiyoshi elevation (meaning some trains would end at Hiyoshi, then head north directly into the yard.)

I'll be back fulltime in Yokohama well before the Sotetsu-Tokyu link happens ┏(^0^)┛
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #6986
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

bill937ca, Equario, geometarkv, WinCPP liked this post
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #6987
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

By the way, I was curious about the concept of a "through line"

Something about allow trains from a different train operator to go into 'territory' that belongs to another rail operator.

Wow, that seems like it involves a lot of planning coordination (especially from the point-of-view of logistics, management and administrative operations as well as engineering and technical support).
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #6988
bill937ca

Likes (Received): 11

Through operation is often referred to as mutual direct operation in Japanese.

Projections for the proposed Sagami-Tokyu mutual direct operation show time savings of up to 50%. I will have to look for the link later.

The Tokyo Transfer Guide indicates that to ride from Kawagoeshi on the Tobu Tojo line to Jiyugaoka on the Tokyu Toyoko line, which can be done by a single train will result in three fares. 310 Yen on the Tobu Tojo, 280 yen on the Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin line and 160 yen on the Tokyu Toyoko line. Most IC card users probably aren't even aware of the multiple fare charges and just see 750 yen for the one hour ride on a single train. IC cards certainly make this much easier to implement.

Last edited by bill937ca; June 16th, 2014 at 03:59 PM.
bill937ca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #6989
bill937ca

Likes (Received): 11

More information on mutual direct operation (aka through rourting).

Page 2 of this JRTT pdf gives estimated time savings when connecting Sotetsu lines with JR East lines and Tokyu lines.

Some videos of through routed trains, first just past Jiyugaoka station and on the Tobu Sky tree line.

http://youtu.be/KIgPOb-0K6A

http://youtu.be/Ab46NnFxA5s

Blackraven liked this post
bill937ca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #6990
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Train drivers swap at the stations that are considered the border between two operators' networks. So, a hypothetical train that went Sotetsu-Tokyu-Metro-Tobu would have four different drivers from the beginning to the end of its route.

Each operator buys and maintains enough trains to run their service if there were no through running agreements, but the trains all mix together on the tracks. It makes things pretty interesting to watch since lines with through running have a wide variety of rolling stock.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #6991
wwc234

Likes (Received): 5102

Last edited by wwc234; June 28th, 2014 at 03:02 AM.
wwc234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:27 PM   #6992
wwc234

Last edited by wwc234; June 27th, 2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old June 27th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #6993
wwc234

Last edited by wwc234; June 28th, 2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:47 AM   #6994
wwc234

Last edited by wwc234; June 28th, 2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old June 29th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #6995
wwc234

Last edited by wwc234; June 30th, 2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:56 PM   #6997
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New trains for Yamanote line

JR East has announced the introduction of new trains for Yamanote line. It will be a new series E325. They plan to start the comercial service in autumn of 2015.

Train front with full LED lighting and full color monitor.

The new trains will have as usual 11 cars, 10 new construction and one rebuilt. Ready by March 2015, which is when they will start to do the tests for half a year.

Comparison between E231-500 (current) and the new E235 series. In the previous series, the priority seat space (pink) was improved and in the new series the space for disabled persons (green) is bigger. From two spaces to eleven.

Interior image of a car. Again a couple of LCD monitors at each door. The seats go from 45 cm to 46 cm wide winning 7 inches in each row of seats.

Near the end of each car area is the priority seating area and space for disabled person or pushchairs.

The new train will use a silicon carbide interver.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2014/20140701.pdf
http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/

Last edited by Sr.Horn; July 2nd, 2014 at 11:10 PM.
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 02:24 PM   #6998
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8796

The front of the trains seems to be a bit of a retro throwback to the older series of trains rather than the more sleek/modern look of the other latest JR East on the Saikyo and Chuo lines.

Also not sure about the carpeting at present. Still, always good to hear a new stock announcement.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:33 PM   #7000
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

...does look like a JNR 105 a little. Make an orange version for JR West and stick it on the Osaka Kanjosen and I'll be even happier.

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote