daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2014, 02:35 AM   #7001
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

In a way, the new E235 reminds me of the old 103 Series EMU with its very flat nose. It will be very interesting to see will the new E235's replace the aging 209's on the JR East Musashino Line and replace the E231's on the JR East Chūō-Sōbu Line.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:36 PM   #7003
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

Just a little note - pictures are great for the thread, however, we don't want to disrupt valuable news stories and/or discussions about new developments with too many pictures. If there is a logical flow to the posting then that is great (like a story or your trip photos), if not and these images are taken from the web, then you have to properly source where you obtained the images from, and I would ask that you at least annotate the images to give them context for us all.

Many thanks.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #7004
gla_c

Likes (Received): 610

He is a troll. You can see him at Thailand's political thread. When we banned him, he will create a new account and do this stuff again.
gla_c no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #7005
wwc234

Likes (Received): 5106

NO MORE S(&Q^$%(TW*S&FGYHO IMAGES!!!!

Edit this post again and you get brigged. Read this carefully before overturning my removal of these images.

Last edited by Svartmetall; July 9th, 2014 at 03:09 AM. Reason: STOP!!!!!
wwc234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 02:56 AM   #7006
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Okay, I have asked you nicely and now I am telling you, STOP spamming the Japanese threads. Members don't want to see ENDLESS unconnected images without any purpose! If they were your travel photos or something it would mean something, but these are random unconnected images without a caption or seemingly ANY purpose!

Please STOP!
Old July 16th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #7007
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Last weekend, neighbors around Kanda and Akihabara visit the works on the new Ueno-Tokyo Line.

ANN

Ibaraki Shimbun

On 1:36 you can see the diagram showing the steep grade of 34.38 x1000 (3.438%) :O

Svartmetall, smithrh, Equario liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #7008
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

So, Quashlo is gone since March or April...

:^(
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #7009
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

I don't know what happens but without him is very very difficult for a non-japanese to translate the news I think is one of the persons to protect because that. The work during this years was laudable and the best way to know what happens in the japanese railway world.

ko7 liked this post

Last edited by Sr.Horn; July 17th, 2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old July 17th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #7010
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Indeed, I sent him a PM asking if he was okay and what not... Haven't heard back.
Old July 17th, 2014, 06:29 AM   #7011
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Maybe he's really busy this time. Who knows. Still, I hope he's doing fine/okay.

I hope he comes back here soon (at the very least before the year ends).

P.S.
Anyways, on the lighter side of things, check this cool pic that I got from the Facebook page of Joe Inoue (井上 ジョー)

AWESOME!!!

Not even heavy rain can stop this Japanese train

Sr.Horn, loefet, Abbendymion liked this post
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #7013
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

One odd thing is that he (or someone) appears to be logging in and browsing forums... You can see this activity on his profile page.
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #7014
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Maybe he's really busy this time. Who knows. Still, I hope he's doing fine/okay.

I hope he comes back here soon (at the very least before the year ends).

P.S.
Anyways, on the lighter side of things, check this cool pic that I got from the Facebook page of Joe Inoue (井上 ジョー)

AWESOME!!!

Not even heavy rain can stop this Japanese train
WOW!

What line is that?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #7015
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Last weekend, neighbors around Kanda and Akihabara visit the works on the new Ueno-Tokyo Line.

ANN
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5oF76WGiYw">YouTube Link</a>

Ibaraki Shimbun
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XG2SrUt2BI">YouTube Link</a>
On 1:36 you can see the diagram showing the steep grade of 34.38 x1000 (3.438%) :O
3.438% grade? That's pretty steep... especially for the trains that might use it. How many train lines are expected to use that upcoming link, and will that allow interlining of train services at Tokyo Station?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:14 AM   #7016
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
What line is that?
The Shin-Keisei Line, @Narashino in Chiba Prefecture, during typhoon #26 last year.

Blackraven liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:23 AM   #7017
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
3.438% grade? That's pretty steep... especially for the trains that might use it. How many train lines are expected to use that upcoming link, and will that allow interlining of train services at Tokyo Station?
Yes, it's a stiff grade, but modern rolling stock wll be able to handle it. Older suburban commuter rolling stock, which likely will not use this line, would have problems if they were fully loaded with passengers.

The link is initally planned to host 15tph, going up to 20tph after one year. Trains off three lines (Takasaki, Utsunomiya, and Joban) will use the line, and likely continue on to Shinagawa, ranging as far as Odawara in some cases. This is a scenario based on current operations on the Shonan Shinjuku Line, which is a similar type of operation (long distance suburban services using a cross-city route).

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #7018
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
The Shin-Keisei Line

And now, Shin-Keisei Electric Railway will change the livery of the 8000 series, 162 cars in total.

http://response.jp/
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #7019
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
The Shin-Keisei Line, @Narashino in Chiba Prefecture, during typhoon #26 last year.
Thanks.

You know, I've always wondered about those guys. Why are they separately managed/operated? What through services do they have? What markets do they serve? Why is all their Google Maps signage in Japanese, unlike Keisei's (ditto Hokuso & co. for that matter)?

Why was that line given to Keisei instead of JNR anyway? Why re-gauge it-it would have been useful to inter-line with the other JNR routes?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #7020
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Thanks.

You know, I've always wondered about those guys. Why are they separately managed/operated? What through services do they have? What markets do they serve? Why is all their Google Maps signage in Japanese, unlike Keisei's (ditto Hokuso & co. for that matter)?

Why was that line given to Keisei instead of JNR anyway? Why re-gauge it-it would have been useful to inter-line with the other JNR routes?
The line has very sharp curves and the rolling stock is narrower than normal, so through running does not occur. It is part of the Keisei Group. The line was built originally as a training line for the Imperial Japanese Army railway regiment, and has numerous curves to provide simulation of different conditions as well as provide adequate mileage. It now serves as a cross-country line, and provides transport for the residents of the suburbs of Chiba Prefecture.

Keisei won the right to purchase it after the end of the war, apparently Seibu Railway was also interested in purchasing. US GHQ was initially wary of the re-opening of a former military line (why I don't know), but the president of Shin-Keisei apparently was persuasive enough. It was originally 1067mm gauge, later re-gauged to 1372mm in 1953 (the gauge then of parent company Keisei), and in 1959 re-gauged again to the current 1435mm. I reckon it's value as a freight route was minimal so the gauge change to Scotch and then standard (private railways in the Kanto area were purposely gauged at 1067mm for freight interchange with JNR, not for through passenger running).

I reckon signage is all in Japanese because 99.5% of the users are Japanese, or foreigners who can understand Japanese. I bet 99.5% of the foreigners living in Japan (and almost 100% of tourists) don't even know this line exists.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; July 18th, 2014 at 07:24 PM.