daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2014, 07:33 PM   #7021
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

I think Shin Keisei DOES do through running, on its eastern end, to Chiba on the Keisei Chiba Line. It also used to connect with the Hokuso line in the middle with through running as well. Both of these lines are standard gauge.

The western end of the line at Matsudo does not connect to anything and probably hasn't since the 1950s.

I think it would be clever to extend the western end of the line at Matsudo to the Keisei Kanamachi line. This could be done with a subway through the Higashikanamachi neighborhood or an extra pair of tracks along the Joban line. (Although this is expensive and would never happen.)

Another improvement would be to straighten all the squiggles in the line near Tsudanuma by realigning it into a subway. Shin Keisei meanders all over the place with a bunch of grade crossings. In addition to speeding up trains, improving safety, and providing a more direct transfer with JR, it seems there would be significant upside for Shin Keisei on the real estate side as well. I have visited Tsudanuma about 7 years ago and it is quite a lively little suburban area. The land the rail line sits on must be quite valuable and could redeveloped if an alternative subway route were built.

Last edited by orulz; July 21st, 2014 at 09:31 PM.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2014, 01:51 AM   #7022
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11248

That realignment idea truly makes sense to me, especially when it will eventually connect to a busy rail station. The next challenge would be costs and the amount of time needed to make the realignment happen (from digging the new tunnel to closing down Shin-Tsudanuma Station).

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:27 PM   #7023
VegasCraig

Likes (Received): 13

Shin-Keisei Line

I used to live near the Shin-Keisei line, near Maebara station. I swear that was the most depressing train I took in Japan, and I had to ride it every weekend (but luckily not for my weekday commute.) The color scheme was drab, and the people on the train also looked, I don't know, sad. (I lived in Japan for nearly 10 years, rode plenty of trains, but always felt blue after getting off the Shin-Keisei line.)

Also, the fares aren't part of the Keisei system, so transferring from Shin-Keisei to Keisei results in laying two seperate train companies' fares. (eg Maebara-Funabashi via Shin-Tsudanuma costs ₯310, ₯150 for the Shin-Keisei ticket and ₯160 for the Keisei ticket.)

The new color scheme looks...better(?) than the old tan/brown.
VegasCraig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 05:22 PM   #7024
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
I swear that was the most depressing train I took in Japan, and I had to ride it every weekend (but luckily not for my weekday commute.) The color scheme was drab, and the people on the train also looked, I don't know, sad.
They're probably like that because after all that meandering, at the end of the line in Matsudo, they are still in Chiba Prefecture
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:50 AM   #7025
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Here is a zenmen tenbou (front cab view) YouTube video of the ride on the Shin-Keisei Line from JR East Matsudo Station to Keisei Tsudanuma Station:

In spite a lot of curved track on the line, it's not exactly a line worth riding.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:24 AM   #7026
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Great.

What would you say are the most scenic/interesting suburban lines in Japan?

Including routes now abandoned.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:13 PM   #7027
k.k.jetcar

You learn new things everyday- apparently through running of Shin-Keisei trains on the Keisei Chiba Line began seven years ago (though Keisei trains do not reciprocate). The through trains run only in the off-peak hours weekdays, with morning runs added on weekends. Here are scenes of Shin-Keisei trains on Keisei tracks:

*on Keisei tracks, these Shin-Keisei trains display a "local" (普通) indicator, which is not used on Shin-Keisei Line proper.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; July 23rd, 2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:16 PM   #7028
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Great.

What would you say are the most scenic/interesting suburban lines in Japan?

Including routes now abandoned.
That depends alot on your definition of "interesting". Personally, anything in Kansai trumps Kanto. Among the lesser known lines is the Kobe Dentetsu Ao Line, which has 5% grades, hill and dale running, with suburban and rural scenery.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; July 23rd, 2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:55 PM   #7029
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
That depends alot on your definition of "interesting". Personally, anything in Kansai trumps Kanto. Among the lesser known lines is the Kobe Dentetsu Ao Line, which has 5% grades, hill and dale running, with suburban and rural scenery.
How about several categories:

Kansai, Kanto, elsewhere

natural scenery, urban/suburban landscape, rail activity

What are the best lines in each of these six categories?
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:16 PM   #7030
k.k.jetcar

Kansai there are too many good ones to really narrow down. I pretty much ride at the front so I can get the drivers view, and Kansai commuter trains typically have seats right next to the cab walls, unlike many Kanto trains.

For Kanto two of my favorites are the Keikyu Shin-Kaisoku services, especially between Yokohama and Shinagawa, and the Tsukuba Express kaisoku services. The latter for high speeds and excellent infrastructure.

fieldsofdreams, Sr.Horn, pudgym29 liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:20 PM   #7031
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11248

Speaking of the Tsukuba Express, I remember it currently terminates in Akiba (Tokyo) and Tsukuba (Ibaraki prefecture)... a next question could be:

Is there a possibility that the service can be expanded to serve Tokyo Station and go further northeast from Tsukuba to serve Mito, the prefectural capital?

I mean, it could provide even more opportunities for residents to travel quickly and easily between Tokyo and Ibaraki prefecture.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:22 AM   #7032
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Speaking of the Tsukuba Express, I remember it currently terminates in Akiba (Tokyo) and Tsukuba (Ibaraki prefecture)... a next question could be:

Is there a possibility that the service can be expanded to serve Tokyo Station and go further northeast from Tsukuba to serve Mito, the prefectural capital?

I mean, it could provide even more opportunities for residents to travel quickly and easily between Tokyo and Ibaraki prefecture.
There is now a proposal sponsored by Ibaraki Prefecture to extend the Tsukuba Express line all the way to Tokyo Station to be completed by the time of the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. I'd like to see it done, because that will tremendously relieve the overcrowding of trains on the JR East Jōban Line during commute hours.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:46 AM   #7033
Sr.Horn
tι con pastas member

Spotted in Tokyo the first test in Ueno-Tokyo Line on August 1st. JR East uses for it trains of series E233 and 185.

ko7, fieldsofdreams, mojimaro liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:01 PM   #7034
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Spotted in Tokyo the first test in Ueno-Tokyo Line on August 1st. JR East uses for it trains of series E233 and 185.

Loving This!!

(manly tears)

A few questions though.

Why are the test trains operating from reverse platforms at Tokyo? The 185 departs and crosses over to the proper track, and the E233 arrives and crosses over to the near platform. Is one platform used exclusively for limited express trains and one for commuters? Is this just happenstance?

Why are they running through those crossovers at Okachimachi? Is the northern-most stretch being operated as triple-track (with a reverse-flow middle)? I expected the outside track to be used for forwarding trains to the Akihabara sidings, with through trains simply using the inside tracks.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:31 PM   #7035
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Why are the test trains operating from reverse platforms at Tokyo? The 185 departs and crosses over to the proper track, and the E233 arrives and crosses over to the near platform. Is one platform used exclusively for limited express trains and one for commuters? Is this just happenstance?
According to the Tokyo Station Wikipedia page, then track 7 and 8 is for local trains and track 9 and 10 are for limited express trains, so that's why they cross over at that point. But I suspect that it's going to change once this connection is in full swing, since then they will have a lot more traffic going through so that they will have one for northbound and one of southbound trains instead.

Quote:
Why are they running through those crossovers at Okachimachi? Is the northern-most stretch being operated as triple-track (with a reverse-flow middle)? I expected the outside track to be used for forwarding trains to the Akihabara sidings, with through trains simply using the inside tracks.
I make the same judgement, that the outside track is for the sidings and makes it easier to reverse the trains terminating at Ueno that are arriving from the north of Tokyo.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #7036
Sr.Horn
tι con pastas member

New E233-8000 series for the JR Nambu Line. This first train is called "N1".

rail.hobidas.com

tetsudo-news.com

Old August 10th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #7037
Sr.Horn
tι con pastas member

JR Kyushu has announced a new EMU series replaces 103 series trains still in use in the ​​Fukuoka area. The new series 305 will be used in urban services on JR through services on Airport Line (Kūkō Line) from Fukuoka Municipal Subway. Six-car trains will enter service between February and March 2015. Each train will have a capacity for 851 people; 291 seated and 560 standing.

http://response.jp/

http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/

Equario, Northridge, mojimaro liked this post
Old August 10th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #7038
Sr.Horn
tι con pastas member

These days in occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Kosei line, is running an old 113 series unit (JNR) with Shonan colors, green and orange. Also occasionally going with a JNR 143 car, but am not clear but it seems a technical car (although it could be a postal train?).

http://tetsudo-news.com/

giovani kun, pudgym29 liked this post
Old August 10th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #7039
Sr.Horn
tι con pastas member

Some grade-separation works in Tokyo area at June 30th, 2014.

Keisei Oshiage Line http://goo.gl/maps/bPkZB

Elevation between Keisei Oshiage Station outbound and Yahiro Station just before the bridge over Arakawa. 2 km in total.

In the first part you can watch the view from the outbound tracks (not yet elevated) and back to Keisei Oshiage Sta. on the new elevated section.

Tobu Skytree Line http://goo.gl/maps/MsMYC

Works in the Tobu Skytree Line around and in the Takenotsuka Station. 1 km to elevate.

Keikyu Main Line http://goo.gl/maps/JUM60

And here the new elevated sector on Keikyu Main Line from Heiwajima Station to Rokugodote Station (around 4,5 km). In the middle the Keikyu Kamata Station.

http://okiraku-goraku.com/

pudgym29 liked this post
Old August 10th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #7040
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by loefet View Post
I make the same judgement, that the outside track is for the sidings and makes it easier to reverse the trains terminating at Ueno that are arriving from the north of Tokyo.
Sorry to disturb, then, but why is the 185 stock seen here switching over to the center track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBW-H8I9qxc

(at about 1:00)

They seem to be using various tracks as they please into Ueno.

Also, to paraphrase Johnny Cash: There are few things that stir the heart more than the site of a long rake of Limited Express stock rushing past the local platforms.