daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #7101
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Construction in Japan is just on a whole other level than many places in the world. I'm in Taiwan at the moment and while the new subway line that opened here is pretty impressive, it's got nothing on anything that I've seen in Japan in my opinion... And nothing can really top the Shibuya connection project... They need to put that on the Discovery Channel or something

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #7102
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Well, maybe the Chofu underground connection project (Keio Line and Keio Sagamihara Line)

About documentary on Discovery Channel, honestly, I dislike the idea. This programs made by foreigners are too dramatic. Not really teach anything new.

sweet-d liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #7103
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Makes you want to show this to people when they say you need to shut down a line for weekends (or whole weeks!) when you add a track or raise platforms.
^
What you said only applies to Japan (and probably a few other industrialized/first-world countries)

Where I'm from though, it takes a least five months to fix a broken elevator
Blackraven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 12:53 AM   #7104
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Well, maybe the Chofu underground connection project (Keio Line and Keio Sagamihara Line)

About documentary on Discovery Channel, honestly, I dislike the idea. This programs made by foreigners are too dramatic. Not really teach anything new.
All the footage from shows like these come from different independent film crews, who then sell them to different networks to broadcast them to different audiences. (Source: I work in media in Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong. One crew filmed the making of the Skytree and sold it to NHK, Comcast, and BBC. You'll see the same footage presented 3 different ways.)

Western audiences like a dramatic take on things to keep them engaged in the program, because there are commercial ads every 8~10 minutes. NHK can keep telling the story as it is because they don't have to pause for an ad 8 times an hour.

That being said, remeber the volume of traffic the Toyoko and Keio (also Odakyu lines) take in. Crews having to build around busy train stations and schedules without shutting down lines is unheard of in most places. In New York City, subway trains bypassed an entire set of stations while work on Fulton Street Complex was being done for the last 8 years. But at no time ever was Daikanyama or Shibuya station ever out of commission except for the last 2 scheduled trains the night of the switchover.

I've lived in Japan for 14 years and am still amazed at the difference in construction techniques and timelines compared to anything I've seen in the USA.

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk

Sr.Horn, pudgym29 liked this post
Old November 21st, 2014, 12:54 AM   #7105
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Not BBC - no adverts. Plus I find their presentation a bit more staid than most. Also, I find there is a significant difference between American and British documentaries, so I wouldn't say the "western world" really as that seems a little unfair.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 02:21 AM   #7106
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Another example would be the construction work on the Odakyu line to place the Shimokitazawa station underground. They only had space for four lanes so they moved the flow of each line as they progress in construction of each line and also maintain safety of the construction workers.
Sounds easy?
Well you need a width of two lanes to construct one lane. So they had to switch the flow every two weeks or so and did not shut down the line ever.
The line also goes under Kanjo hachigo(環状八号), one of the busiest roads within Tokyo.
Riding it during construction was like the cup trick where you had three cups and one ball seeing where the ball goes as the magician swirl and swivel the ball from one cup to the other.

pudgym29 liked this post
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 06:54 AM   #7107
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Not BBC - no adverts. Plus I find their presentation a bit more staid than most. Also, I find there is a significant difference between American and British documentaries, so I wouldn't say the "western world" really as that seems a little unfair.
Fair enough. PBS is the same actually. Its more about target audiences really. Younger Americans are used to ‘reality’ TV and instantly going to Google and Wikipedia to get info. That's why.

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:19 AM   #7108
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

There is also the example of Yokohama "Cial" Station Building and connecting Tokyu Hotel. I never thought they were able to demolish that building without obstructing pedestrian traffic but they seem to have done it and now they are constructing a sky scraper in the same location again without disrupting the walkway.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 10:50 AM   #7109
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Western audiences like a dramatic take on things to keep them engaged in the program, because there are commercial ads every 8~10 minutes. NHK can keep telling the story as it is because they don't have to pause for an ad 8 times an hour.
Yes I know

For sure I think is not in all TV stations or type of TV stations. In the spanish case, documentaries on public TV such as "La 2" and regional channels are similar than NHK Special or other types of documentaries (nature or social themes). I've watched recently the NHK Special about the giant squid and basically is the japanese version with english titles and spanish-dub.

Big contrast with the few reality-doc on the spanish commercial TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
I've lived in Japan for 14 years and am still amazed at the difference in construction techniques and timelines compared to anything I've seen in the USA.
You are lucky. An spanish case reported yesterday here in SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by entfe001 View Post
Veo este vídeo, me acuerdo del corte de 3 días por el túnel de Montmeló con el cachondeo de los autobuses, el "corre o se va el tren" en Granollers, el diluvio universal sin marquesinas quedando todos empapados y me dan todos los males habidos y por haber...

I see this video (Shibuya switch), and I remember the three days cutting of Montmelo tunnel, with the joke of the buses, the "run or train goes" in Granollers Station, Universal deluge and no canopies being all soaked and all evil feelings are coming ...
Old November 22nd, 2014, 02:10 PM   #7110
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Small lines across Japan: Keisei Kanamachi Line

[Please, do not quote on Tokyo general thread, this is a compilation so I prefer to not divert the themes on the same subforum]

This is a 60p cab superview of the Keisei Kanamachi Line, far northeast Tokyo. This is only a 2,5 km line between Keisei-Takasago (transfer for Keisei Main Line) and Keisei-Kanamachi (transfer with JR Joban Line). There is only one intermediate stop, Shibamata, where the trains crosses.

http://goo.gl/maps/54sHP

This line was opened on October 21, 1913, when the former 610mm track was bought by Keisei and transformed and electrified at 1372mm gauge. In 1959 Keisei changed again the gauge to the standard 1430mm.

Keisei-Takasago is the first station, transfer with Keisei Main Line. In 2010, due the opening of Narita Sky Access, the company constructed an elevated 5th track with single platform exclusive for the Kanamachi Line. The daily average in 2013 was 96.950 (whole station).

Station view from the street in 2006 and new single platform for Kanamachi Line in 2010 (Wikipedia)

Shibamata, the intermediate station. With two platforms, one on each side of the two tracks. This station is used for the people who visits Shibamata Taishakuten Buddhist temple (1629). Daily average of 8.834 in 2013.

Main entrance of Shibamata Station. Looks vintage (Wikipedia)

Keisei-Kanamachi (transfer for Joban Line on JR Kanamachi Station). Between Shibamata and Keisei-Kanamachi there is a long 1km right track, perfect to allow the 85 km/h top speed on this line according Wikipedia.

The last station is like the first, one single track with single platform. Daily average in 2013 was 24.474.

View from the JR Kanamachi Station. Only 80 meters of transfer at street level (Wikipedia)

Track and platform (Wikipedia)

This line uses Keisei 3500 series 4 car-sets refurbished in 2001. Trains run every 10 minutes on rush hour and 15 minutes the rest of the day.

Keisei Kanamachi line by Hideya Aita, on Flickr

Keisei Kanamachi line by Hideya Aita, on Flickr

In February 2013 the 3300 Series was retired.

120110_021__MG_5869 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120110_013__MG_5860 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120110_016__MG_5864 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120110_015__MG_5863 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120104_066_IMG_2974 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120104_052_IMG_2953 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120104_069_IMG_2979 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120104_050_IMG_2951 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120104_064_IMG_2970 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120104_070_IMG_2980 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120104_058_IMG_2959 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120104_065_IMG_2973 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120104_068_IMG_2978 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120104_054_IMG_2955 by oda.shinsuke, on Flickr

120104_067_IMG_2976 by oda.shinsuke, on

End

The original on SSC-Spain Forum.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 02:24 PM   #7111
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40911

When I go to Tokyo, I wanna know the shortest railway line of the city: the Seibu Toshima Line, in Nerima Ward. This branch has only 1,0 Km.

These trains operates from Ikebukuro to Toshimaen station.

Sr.Horn, dimlys1994, Blackraven, pudgym29 liked this post
Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 02:59 PM   #7112
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Nice, maybe for the next episode

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
Old November 22nd, 2014, 08:30 PM   #7113
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

In Mie Prefecture, Kintetsu operates a unusual 762 mm gauge railway system: Utsube Line and Hachioji Line.

These lines were built in 1912 and the first trains were steam-hauled railcars. Electrification was installed in 1943. ATS system and one-man operation ("wanman") were introduced in 1989.

Both lines are very small. Utsube Line has 5,7 Km of tracks and Hachioji Line is a stretch with only 1,3 Km. There is one train every 30 minutes to Utsubi Station and one train every 30 minutes to Nishihino Station (Hachioji Line).

The "super-narrow gauge" network is connected with Kintetsu Nagoya Line at Kintetsu-Yokkaichi Station (1435 mm gauge mainline railway to Nagoya).

Kintetsu had plans to closure Utsube-Hachioji lines. The original idea was replace the train to a BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) system. But, Kintetsu decided to transfer the 762 mm gauge system to Yokkaichi City Government in 2015.

http://jp.worldmapz.com/photo/311040_en.htm

http://jp.worldmapz.com/photo/43652_en.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishihino_Station
Nishihino Station, terminus of Hachioji Line (1575 passengers/day)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utsube_Station
Utsube Station, terminus of Ustube Line (828 passengers/day)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akahori_Station
Akahori Station (321 passengers/day)

A train ride between Nishihino and Kintetsu-Yokkaichi...

Old November 22nd, 2014, 11:43 PM   #7114
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

A curiosity about Keisei Kanamachi Line...

This stretch was inaugurated in 1899 as a "jinsha" (human-powered railcar). It had 64 carriages, each seating six passengers and pushed by one person. When Keisei acquired the line, in 1912, it began to use trains with steam locomotives.

Old November 29th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #7115
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

The competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
On commercial TV stations worldwide; could you envision any automobile manufacturers wanting to advertise on that show?
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #7116
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

JR Kyoto Line - Takatsuki Station improvement works

Takatsuki Station (http://goo.gl/maps/q3qx7) is the number 10 of JR West network in daily average passengers, 123.542 everyday.

Now is under renovation to allow more passengers on two overcrowded platforms. Side tracks without platform (for Limited Express) will be new 260 meters platform. All commuter trains stops at this station.

Tracks 1 and 8 (not used) will be occupied by new new platforms. Central tracks (4 and 5) are for local trains so, Takatsuki Station is perfect for commuters who changes from rapid to local or local to rapid on the same way, on the same platform.

In red the new pedestrian bridge over the tracks to connect the two side platforms with the lobby.

Renders from JR West http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl..._takatsuki.pdf

New side platforms will be 4 to 6 meters width.

Work is scheduled to finish by sprin 2016. Total cost is estimated in 32 million euro.

Situation in November:

Source: http://saitoshika-west.com/blog-entry-2847.html

Shin-Osaka improvement works

Shin-Osaka Station is under reforms too. After the completion of works on Shinkansen area, adding new platforms and bla bla bla, now is turn for the zairaisen area.

Situation in November:

Remembering the new Shinkansen platform:

Source: http://saitoshika-west.com/blog-entry-2849.html
Old December 8th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #7117
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

E129 Series

On November 28, JR East presented the new trains for commuter services in Niigata area. This is the new 2-cars unit E129 Series.

E129 series has been based on E233 series but adapted to the Niigata conditions: cold winters, less people...

A total of 100 cars has been manufactured. The set of two is simply, 1M and 1T.

On the front of car, the destination indicator in a LED screen. Same in the laterals. Train is painted with two stripes in toki and yellow color.

Inside the cars, the disposition combines two types: long seat and semi-cross seat. Priority seats, disabled space and wheelchair-accessible large toilet was installed between two cars.

The capacity of the E129 series is 140 people.

This train is operated by "one-man". Many stations are unstaffed so you can see in the last photos the screen for the prices (like in many buses) and the machine to check the ticket.

Source: rail.hobidas.com

Svartmetall, KB335ci2 liked this post
Old December 8th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #7118
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

For the collection:

New 323 Series for Osaka Loop Line

In a press conference held by JR West on December 8, 2014, the company has announced the introduction of new trains "323 Series" for the JR Osaka Loop Line which runs the center of Osaka.

In appearance, the new sets will maintain the orange color typical on the Loop Line in some parts of the train.

But the major changes will be the 3 doors car instead the usually 4 doors car. Moreover, only 8 seat places between doors, and 16 screen inside each car. Units of 8 cars will provide more space around doors.

JR West said, the display will announces in four languages. In addition, the 323 Series also provide free WiFi service for foreigners.

New trains will be introduced by 2016 until 2018. 168 cars in total, 21 sets.

Osaka Loop Line project video:

Source: JR West press release / Tetsudo-shimbun / Response
Old December 9th, 2014, 04:50 AM   #7119
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

By the way, the E129 may operate in more than just the Niigata area. There is a fairly large fleet of aging 115's running on the Chūō Main Line between Takao and Shiojiri Stations that will need to be replaced soon; the E129 would be perfect as a replacement, since it can be quite cold and snowy on this part of the Chūō Main Line.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 04:57 AM   #7120
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Might they extend closer in to Tokyo at some point?

Being based on the E233 series, they can en-train with them to some extent, correct?

Would this enable them to run combined with trains coming down from, say, the Itsukaichi or Ome lines and run express into Shinjuku or Tokyo?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote