daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #7161
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
What is the justification for a complete rebuilding (other than "it's old")? .
Well it's simply because the whole facility is just what you just said, old and not very user friendly in this day and age.

If I recall correctly many of the entrances and exits are pretty narrow because they were designed before electronic ticket machines and turnstiles so a lot of the spaces are taken up with electronic equipment now. Underneath the facility is like a big maze. And for car drivers there are a few narrow underpasses that have to be negotiated if you're trying to get from one side of the station complex to the other, creating a huge traffic jam around the area in the mornings and in the evenings.

I actually used to live not too far from the area when I first moved to Japan 14 years ago and would take the Kyoto line from Shojaku station or Kandai-mae to Juso where I had a part time job.

Just like the old Toyoko Shibuya station, this one is also an old friend of mine that I would be sad to see go, but excited to see changed.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2015, 01:45 AM   #7162
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

But would you call the widening of passages or digging new tunnels underneath a "big renewal" on the scale of Shibuya Station, Keikyu Kamata, or Hankyu Awaji?? There is very little room in adjacent areas for new construction, unless property takings are done. As far as car traffic, wouldn't most drivers just use the nearby Yodogawa Road underpass (a four laner) to get from one side to the other?
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #7163
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

I miss quashlo.

It's just not the same now.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #7164
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
But would you call the widening of passages or digging new tunnels underneath a "big renewal" on the scale of Shibuya Station, Keikyu Kamata, or Hankyu Awaji??
Until we see anything official come from Hankyu, I'm not gonna argue balls and strikes over semantics of makeover vs total rebuild.

Cars do use Yodogawa Dori to pass thru, but pick ups, drop offs, taxis, bus termini, and shopping areas around there create havoc. Looks like Yamato Saidaiji without the crossing gates.

Anyhow, ill be there in a month to nose around and get some pictures, so I'll be on the lookout for any telltale signs of preconstruction.
Old January 29th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #7165
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
I miss quashlo.

Hey, he was going above and beyond the call of duty with updating this space.

If I had more time, I'd happily take up the slack, but work is a real PITA right now.

As soon as things get back on track though, I'll do my best to get things cooking in here more.

Sent from my SC-04E using Tapatalk
Old January 29th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #7166
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
As soon as things get back on track though, I'll do my best to get things cooking in here more.
Thanks. This is the urban transport forum - we try to keep things on track.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 03:18 AM   #7167
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I still personally think that a rebuild of the Hankyu Jūsō Station is probably in the advanced planning stages and could be announced within the next year or so. It would certainly be one of the biggest construction projects in the Osaka area, especially putting in modern platforms and replacing many buildings around the station. Given the scale of the rebuild, it could provide thousands of jobs for construction workers in the Osaka area.

It's going to be a tricky project, especially how narrow is the area around the station, redoing all the underground passages, and minimizing interference with all the trains that pass the station.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #7168
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Quote:
I miss quashlo.

I miss too but... well, thanks. I suppose everything is updated since Quashlo is away is just pure imagination.

Quote:
If I had more time, I'd happily take up the slack, but work is a real PITA right now.
True if you try to follow the Quashlo-style of posting.

Reports like #7096 needs at least 3 to 4 hours for translation, compare and post. The prize after that usually isn't any kind of feedback from the other users.
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #7169
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau.ukiyo View Post
Random question: were there ever plans to connect the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line and the Keio Inokashira Line? The way the Ginza Line runs into the Keio building seems like the the intention was there. The Inokashira Line is only 5 cars but it seems like it wouldn't be too hard for it to become 6 in order to accommodate the Ginza Line.
Train length is about the only thing that is NOT an issue in pursuing this connection. The trains are actually almost exactly the same length, within 4 meters. Inokashira = 5x20m=100m, Ginza = 6x16m=96m.

The actual issues are:
1. Rail gauge (Inokashira = 1067mm Cape Gauge, Ginza = 1435mm Standard Gauge)
2. Loading Gauge (HxW in mm: Ginza = 3465x2550, Inokashira = 4100x2864)
3. Platform height (Ginza = ??, Inokashira = ?? - not sure but they're definitely different)
4. Electrification (Inokashira = 1500vdc overhead, Ginza = 600vdc third rail)
5. Grade crossings (Inokashira = lots, Ginza = none)
6. Sigals/ATC: (Inokashira = Keio ATC, Ginza = CS-ATC)
7. Elevation mismatch (Inokashira = 2F, Ginza = 3F of the Shibuya Mark City complex)

All of these are of course solvable, but taken together they are quite a formidable obstacle.

There are two ways I can see that this would ever possibly make sense:
1. If there is some future project to grade separate the entire Inokashira line. The newly built grade separated portions could built progressing west in phases from Shibuya, and be built as extensions of the Ginza Line. The terminus of the Inokashira line is then moved progressively west until the entire project is complete.
2. If there is some future project to completely rebuild the Ginza Line to modern earthquake resistance standards, and the line is dug up and completely rebuilt as an extension of the Inokashira Line.

jonallen1966 liked this post

Last edited by orulz; January 29th, 2015 at 11:24 PM.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #7170
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
True if you try to follow the Quashlo-style of posting.

Reports like #7096 needs at least 3 to 4 hours for translation, compare and post. The prize after that usually isn't any kind of feedback from the other users.
Oh, it is appreciated, trust me. That's why I make sure to like all of your efforts even if I don't have something intelligent to add to your posts.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #7171
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quashlo was a machine. Completely amazing. He must have practically treated this as a full time job. All the updates since his departure are very much appreciated!
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #7172
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10711

Quashlo and I were good friends, I know that he was bothered by lack of feedback and such as well. I would try to post more also (and I think I'm the only active japanese poster left?) but I've been really busy and sick lately too. I post more in the Japan forum though (but not for the past month due to being busy and sick as I mentioned). I also am similar to quashlo in the sense that I get bothered when there's no feedback. For example I have basically been gone for a month but nobody in the Japan forum (or any) even noticed . It makes you question stuff, I think quashlo just decided it wasn't worth it anymore. Me and him used to edit wiki articles together also. Anyway the fact that he has never responded to my PMs leads me to believe that he is gone for good.

I actually forget this thread even exists until I search "Japan" on SSC and sometimes it comes up.

Northridge liked this post
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 01:56 AM   #7173
k.k.jetcar

Re. quashlo's exemplary work, the fact is, there is very little interest in the English speaking world about the esoteric subject here, and even less about Japan-based projects- just look at the subjects posted on other sites/blogs about transport/transit issues- it's often as if Japan doesn't even exist. It has always been that way- in Japan, there is loads of information about projects around the world, railway systems in Europe are covered regularly in publications. But the reverse barely registers a trickle, if at all. Given that often the reportage on general topics about Japan in the MSM is just wrong, is it no surprise that niche topics aren't covered at all??
Old January 30th, 2015, 03:42 AM   #7174
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

What does MSM stand for?

I try to give likes whenever I can, but I simply don't have that much constructive comments to make and the last thing I want to do is spam this most glorious thread.

I WOULD like state that I tremendously appreciate all of the hard work that everyone does to translate this most interesting topic.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 03:44 AM   #7175
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

BTW-how is the Tobu Skytree Line grade separation coming at Takenotsuka?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #7176
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
What does MSM stand for?
Main Stream Media, i.e. TV, newspapers, large magazines and their associated internet outlets, as opposed to forums, blogosphere, bulletin boards, twitter, etc.
Old January 30th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #7177
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
BTW-how is the Tobu Skytree Line grade separation coming at Takenotsuka?
There is the somewhat dated report, but it appears that work is still in preliminary stages, such as widening the right of way, decommissioning a bus turntable, etc.
http://mirai-report.com/blog-entry-1317.html

Groundbreaking of the rebuild occured in 2012, and the timeline is nine years to completion. The cost of the whole project is 54.4 billion yen, with Adachi ward and the national government fronting 45.6 billion yen, and Tobu Railway the remaining 8.8 billion yen, which will give you an idea of the funding split on these kinds of projects.
Old January 30th, 2015, 05:00 AM   #7178
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
I miss quashlo.

Quote:
Hey, he was going above and beyond the call of duty with updating this space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Quashlo was a machine. Completely amazing. He must have practically treated this as a full time job. All the updates since his departure are very much appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo View Post
Quashlo and I were good friends, I know that he was bothered by lack of feedback and such as well. I would try to post more also (and I think I'm the only active japanese poster left?) but I've been really busy and sick lately too. I post more in the Japan forum though (but not for the past month due to being busy and sick as I mentioned). I also am similar to quashlo in the sense that I get bothered when there's no feedback. For example I have basically been gone for a month but nobody in the Japan forum (or any) even noticed . It makes you question stuff, I think quashlo just decided it wasn't worth it anymore. Me and him used to edit wiki articles together also. Anyway the fact that he has never responded to my PMs leads me to believe that he is gone for good.
I for one absolutely appreciated his posts. I might not have had any replies, but people shouldn't take that as a lack of interest or appreciation. I'm not really expert enough to know what I'm talking about most of the time, so I'm happy to be a sponge, so to speak.

I also noticed within days that he wasn't posting. I posted something that I was absolutely sure he'd have some insightful commentary on, and when he didn't, I knew something was amiss. In past times, he had been away in Japan and I figured this was another one of these times, but apparently not.

His map I use nearly every day.

If anything, I'm hoping that he had a conflict with his place of employment and they requested he stop posting. That does happen. I'd be disappointed and actually a bit sad if he decided to stop posting by himself.
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 05:16 AM   #7179
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10711

A little fun fact, I am actually one of the people responsible for the "like" button. I gave a final push to Jan and the next day it was implemented (at least that's how I remember it ). I pushed for it precisely for people like quashlo...but I guess it wasn't enough. Anyway please use the like button a lot for Sr. Horn!! I wish I knew what happened to Quashlo but unfortunately I don't. I kind of lost his email and such...well because my own email was hacked and I had to change it lol.

By the way, if you guys ever find something and want translations please don't hesitate to send me a PM.

If you guys want to admire one last thing from Quashlo here is a wiki page that we both entirely made (with him doing the majority of the work I just helped with translations and inputting some data): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...stems_in_Japan

I think it's quite a good source of info if I may so myself

P.S. please also check the infrastructure forum in the Japan forum.

smithrh, fieldsofdreams liked this post
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #7180
k.k.jetcar

Another good thing about quashlo was he backed up his posts with facts and citations, not just speculation.