daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2015, 11:06 AM   #7181
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Well, back to topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
MLIT approves Senseki Line, Tōhoku Line link

Official press release:
http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/t...hh_000051.html

This is part of the reconstruction efforts in Ishinomaki City and other local cities and towns along the Senseki Line, involving construction of a new track connection between the Senseki Line and Tōhoku Main Line north of Sendai, allowing for interlining of Senseki Line trains onto the Tōhoku Main Line south of Takagimachi. They will construct a 0.3 km connection between Matsushima Station (Tōhoku Line) and Takagimachi Station (Senseki Line), reducing travel times between Sendai and Ishinomaki to around 60 minutes (reduction of as much as 10 minutes compared to pre-earthquake travel times). The connection will carry about 3,000 passengers a day. Total project cost is approx. ¥1.8 billion and construction will take place from FY2013 to FY2015. Opening will be sometime in FY2015, around the same time that the Rikuzen Ono – Takagimachi section of the Senseki Line reopens.

The resumption of the service on Rikuzen Ono – Takagimachi section (Senseki Line) will be at the end of May. The same day, the Tohoku-Senseki Link will be put in service.

First, the link between the Tohoku Main Line and the Senseki Line (Senseki-Tohoku Line). January 10:

January 29:

Source http://sendai-satouya.cocolog-nifty.com/

This is a Senseki Line Commuter Train from Takagimachi (current termini)

Second: The new alignment on Senseki Line between Rikuzen-Ono and Takagimachi.

Specifically, the new alignment affects 3,5km and two stations, Tōna and Nobiru, both relocated.

Situation on January 25.

Near Naruse viaduct (Rikuzen-Ono - Nobiru):

Between Nobiru and Tōna stations:

Crossing Oku-Matsushima Park Line (prefectural road):

Rikuzen-Ōtsuka station:

Source: http://ameblo.jp/rokkouorosi/page-3.html

Nobiru and Tōna stations are under it final stage of construction (but I couldn't find pictures). Here the renders:

Nobiru

Tōna

Source: http://response.jp/article/2015/01/30/242948.html

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #7182
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

(Eventual) Tokyo visit - favorite rail lines/spots

This might stir up some conversation here...

So, at some point in the future, hopefully this year, I will return to Japan. I last visited in the 1994 timeframe - check my post history for pictures I posted from that time.

I didn't ride trains that much when I was there, a bit of the Yamanote line, the Monorail from Tennoze (sp?) Isle to the Yamanote line, and the Shinkansen to Osaka (more specifically Shin-Osaka of course).

I will be correcting that oversight on this visit.

So, my question for people who have been there more recently or live there - what are your favorite lines to ride, and what trainspotting places are good?

As a small sample, I'd like to:

• Ride the Yamanote line in a circle, both directions
• Ride the Keikyu line
• Visit the Keikyu crossing right outside of Keikyu-Shinagawa
• Have the front seat on the Romancecar to Hakone and back
• Take the Enoden line
• See all of the major stations in Tokyo
• (not Tokyo but) See Kyoto and Osaka stations
• Take the train from the airport and back (there weren't any back then, took the bus)

I'm even considering staying in hotels that overlook stations, there are interesting options for both Shinjuku and Shinagawa.

Front-view opportunities is a main thing I'm looking for. I love massive, interesting infrastructure so anything that captures that is a plus. The grade-level crossings of multiple lines is also something I'd like to see.

Input/feedback from the board?

Last edited by smithrh; January 30th, 2015 at 07:06 PM. Reason: fixed bullet formatting
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:26 AM   #7183
Honolulu

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post

So, at some point in the future, hopefully this year, I will return to Japan.

So, my question for people who have been there more recently or live there - what are your favorite lines to ride, and what trainspotting places are good?

• Ride the Keikyu line
• Take the Enoden line
• Take the train from the airport and back (there weren't any back then, took the bus)

Front-view opportunities is a main thing I'm looking for. I love massive, interesting infrastructure so anything that captures that is a plus. The grade-level crossings of multiple lines is also something I'd like to see.

First to go from the airport to your hotel I would recommend the Keisei Skyliner because of it's historical significance (the line was supposed to be a Shinkansen) as well as it's up to 160km/h speed which is I believe the fastest non-Shinkansen speed. You can also take the Narita express to compare on your return to the airport. Don't forget that now there are many flights to Haneda as well and you can just take the Tokyo monorail or Keikyu to Shinagawa in a shorter time. It will also cost you a lot less.

Yurikamome line is definitely a must do. It was constructed in 95 right after your trip and it's fantastic for seeing infrastructure in Tokyo. Definitely a ton of interesting sights along the way as it's an above ground line. Even better, it's automated so there's no conductor to block your view in the front It also passes through Odaiba where most of the olympic venues will be. The 7300 series trainsets were also introduced on that line just last year. Here are some things to do in Odaiba as well: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html

Video of train from Shimbasi to Toyosu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDAyi9Yc7rM

Oh and then from Toyosu you can take the Yurakucho metro line and go to Ginza to look at all the lights on the luxury stores. It's a great sight at night!

To take the Enoden line, I would take a JR train to Ofuna station (Tokaido line, Shonan Shinjuku or Yokosuka line are the quickest), then take the Shonan suspended monorail to Enoshima, then take the Enoden to Kamakura. Then from Kamakura go back to Tokyo with JR. (making sure to see some sights at Enoshima and Kamakura)

You could also stop at Yokohama along the way and got to Chinatown and check out all the nice skyscrapers at Minatomirai.

PS: you could also do two birds with one stone and take the Keikyu from Haneda airport to Shinagawa?

When in Kyoto, I would definitely take the Keifuku line to Arashiyama (either from Shijo Omiya or from Kitano Hakubaicho) and go to Arashiyama and see the sights there and eat some Japanese food. Then definitely take the Sagano scenic railway from there, maybe even go on a hike in the area.

Another railway to definitely take there is the Eizan electric railway to Kurama. It's quite scenic when it starts getting in the mountains (great during fall with all the Momiji trees) and you can go visit Kurama shrine and bathe in Kurama onsen.

Don't forget the lovely Hankyu trains when going to Osaka, there is also the special Hankyu Kyotrain that runs on weekends and holidays only (URL with schedule) http://www.hankyu.co.jp/area_info/ar.../kyotrain.html which I would recommend. Alternatively the JR Kyoto line to go to Osaka is the quickest.

I forgot to mention the Umekoji SL museum in Kyoto. They are currently constructing the largest rail museum in Japan there but I'm not sure if It will be open when you get there.

I would stay at least two days in Kyoto. It's much more interesting and beautiful than Osaka IMO (besides, Osaka is a short train ride away)
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:36 AM   #7184
Honolulu

Likes (Received): 52

Some more info:

Here's a nice pedestrian bridge in Kyoto for taking pictures and whatnot of Shinkansen and other trains departing and leaving Kyoto station: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.9...a=!4m2!4m1!3e2

And another nice spot in Tokyo for looking at Shinkansen is a starbucks at Tokyo station city, here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0clNlJtb5FU

Here's the building so you know what to look for:

PS: I wouldn't really recommend hotels near Kyoto station because it's a run down area.

smithrh liked this post
Honolulu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 01:38 PM   #7185
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

Some of my favourite private lines in Tokyo are the Tokyu lines. They are incredibly well run and have some nice rolling stock. I second going to Yokohama, too. You can through run on the Toyoko line from the Fukutoshin line on the Tokyo metro (and even take the Minatomirai line into the skyscraper district as it all through-runs) and then come back via the Keihin-Tohoku line if you want a change.

Also, I really liked Osaka. I think it's a very underrated city in Japan - fantastic food and a lot to see. The area around Kyoto station is okay, but the southern part of the station is not as nice as the northern - I certainly wouldn't call it "run down" though.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 04:44 PM   #7186
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10711

Quote:

So, at some point in the future, hopefully this year, I will return to Japan. I last visited in the 1994 timeframe - check my post history for pictures I posted from that time.

I didn't ride trains that much when I was there, a bit of the Yamanote line, the Monorail from Tennoze (sp?) Isle to the Yamanote line, and the Shinkansen to Osaka (more specifically Shin-Osaka of course).

• Ride the Keikyu line
• Take the Enoden line

I'm even considering staying in hotels that overlook stations, there are interesting options for both Shinjuku and Shinagawa.

If you like the views from my videos here then add these ones

ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:44 AM   #7187
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

Hankyu trains are the maroon colored ones, right?

I also like the line that runs between Nagoya and Osaka with a variety of branches, they have front-view opportunities as well.

In Tokyo, are there lines I should actively avoid? Are there subways that are interesting in some way, underground passages?

I did stay in Osaka for a few nights last time. I was only in Kyoto for the amount of time the Shinkansen stopped there.

I will be traveling overseas for the next two weeks (no train opportunities, sadly), but I will read posts when I can, not sure if I'll be able to respond. Thought I'd let people know that so I don't appear to go away...

P.S. - the flights from here to Haneda arrive at really bad times, typically right around 11 or midnight - not good for catching the Keikyu line or Monorail if the flight is delayed.

Last edited by smithrh; February 1st, 2015 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Added Haneda note
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 03:17 AM   #7188
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Re. quashlo's exemplary work, the fact is, there is very little interest in the English speaking world about the esoteric subject here, and even less about Japan-based projects- just look at the subjects posted on other sites/blogs about transport/transit issues- it's often as if Japan doesn't even exist. It has always been that way- in Japan, there is loads of information about projects around the world, railway systems in Europe are covered regularly in publications. But the reverse barely registers a trickle, if at all. Given that often the reportage on general topics about Japan in the MSM is just wrong, is it no surprise that niche topics aren't covered at all??
I'm sorry I didn't display more of an interest. I just find Japans rail services very overwhelming and difficult to keep track of as an outsider. Even to understand London rail can be daunting but Japan triple as much.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 10:52 AM   #7189
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

What you should see.

Quote:
I didn't ride trains that much when I was there, a bit of the Yamanote line, the Monorail from Tennozu Isle to the Yamanote line, and the Shinkansen to Osaka (more specifically Shin-Osaka of course).
  • Ride the Keikyu line
  • Take the Enoden line
Front-view opportunities is the main thing I'm looking for. I love massive, interesting infrastructure so anything that captures that is a plus. The grade-level crossings of multiple lines is also something I'd like to see.

Quote:
{edit}
In Tokyo, are there lines I should actively avoid? Are there subways that are interesting in some way, underground passages?
{edit II}
P.S. - the flights from here to Haneda arrive at really bad times, typically right around 11 or midnight - not good for catching the Keikyu line or Monorail if the flight is delayed.

(There's how to make a list.}
I am returning to metropolitan Tokyo on 6 March. This will be my eleventh visit to Japan (since December 2005).
I did not have definite plans to visit here then, but my travel bot turned up an amazing low fare from Chicago to Tokyo for early March: $770 round-trip.
You can still get this airfare from Chicago to Tokyo for trips lasting 12, 14, 16, 19, 23, 24, 28, or 30 days, from 5th March.
There is a catch: I have to change airplanes once each way. However, the giveback to this is: My flights are to | from Haneda Airport.
It sounds like you might have the same flight to HND as do I, R.H. Is it United 875 SFO-HND? Because, yes, this flight arriving at 22:35 (in March ~ 23:00 in April) does not give you a lot of time to do important and valuable things at Haneda.
It hurts that the Keikyu counter will have closed at 22:00.
You won't get a very good exchange rate at HND.
I encourage you to stay in Yokohama. I will. Hopefully, I'll get the hostel I prefer. (It is sometimes not available for all the nights I want to be there.) Still, business hotels in central Yokohama are reasonable. Plus, for photograph taking, there is an overpass by the Keikyu Kanagawa station where you can gets hundreds of overhead shots of both Keikyu and J.R. consists coming downward toward Yokohama station.
I will probably wind up buying a PASMO card this trip. But it won't pay for all my trips. There are special tickets providing unlimited rides on select routes both in Yokohama and in Tokyo, as well as one which tosses in a round-trip ticket from Yokohama to Tokyo (on Keikyu), and unlimited riding on the four Toei subway lines, the Nippori-Toneri liner (another automated guideway train with no conductor to obstruct frontal views), and the Toden Arakawa tram.
There are a lot of Tokyo subways stations with fascinating underground passages. I managed to find the obscure portion on the Tokyo Metro W-WW site which displays 'yard maps' of each subway station. That link is to the confounding Shibuya station. You can try studying them now. If you have the Tokyo Metro Guide (it has the names of all its stations), you can change "shibuya" to those other stations and see that station's yard map. There are some astounding passageways. (Photograph them too.)
I have done well shooting trains at Motomachi-Chukagai, Yokohama, Hiyoshi, Keikyu Kamata, Naka-Meguro, Sengakuji, Yoyogi-Uehara, Nishi-Funabashi, Kita-Senju, and Aoto stations.
For riding the Keikyu line, I encourage you to look for the two-door 2100 series cars which run in regular service only between Misakiguchi and Sengakuji. They feature transverse seating, which is rare for trains in metropolitan Tokyo.
If I can stress only one thing to a prospective visitor to metropolitan Tokyo, it is: Don't submit to J.R. bondage. Do not adopt the mindset that if you can't get to somewhere on a J.R. train, you won't go there. You will miss solid, intriguing neighborhoods.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:28 PM   #7190
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Other good point for train-spotting:

Musashi Kosugi Station (Yokosuka Line), January 30, 2015:

Svartmetall, dimlys1994, Equario liked this post

Last edited by Sr.Horn; February 1st, 2015 at 02:16 PM.
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:39 PM   #7191
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Delivering of new electric loco "Deki 120" for Meitetsu (Nagoya Railroad).

Testing at Fuchu plant:

Kanto area:

Nagoya:

121-122 is 4-axis electric locomotive manufactured by Toshiba in Fuchu plant.

Svartmetall, Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 06:47 PM   #7192
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40882

They are the first electric locomotives brought by a "private" (non-JR) railway in many decades.

Sr.Horn liked this post
Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:55 PM   #7193
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo View Post
Anyway the fact that he has never responded to my PMs leads me to believe that he is gone for good.
I hope he's doing something fun.

But seriously, everyone's efforts - big and small - are appreciated. But there is no question that quashlo went above and beyond and was amongst the most diligent posters in the transport forums.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 07:09 AM   #7194
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I wonder what Meitetsu wants with these new electric locomotives. Will they be used to move passenger trainsets around for servicing reasons? Will they be assigned to industrial leads that connect initially to Meitetsu lines, which in turn connect to the JR Central Tokaidō Main Line?
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 03:52 AM   #7195
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

New video of the Osaka Monorail Saito Line branch. Time-lapse switching operations and cab view.

Northridge liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #7196
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

JR West to construct new station near Kyoto Railway Museum

JR West has announced on February 2 the construction of a new railway station in JR Sagano Line in Kyoto. The new station will be installed where Shichijo Street and Sagano Line crossing.

This new station will be located 0,8km from Tambaguchi Station and 1,7km from Kyoto Station. The station will be completed by spring 2019 at cost of 4,9 billion yen.

JR West Press Release: http://www.westjr.co.jp/press/articl...page_6764.html

Source: http://building-pc.cocolog-nifty.com/map/
Old February 4th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #7197
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Are they also looking at increasing service frequency at all on that line within urban Kyoto?
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #7198
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Are they also looking at increasing service frequency at all on that line within urban Kyoto?
Given that they just finished double-tracking it, I imagine so. The only remaining single track stretch is from the junction with the Tokaido Line to Kyoto Station. They would need to expand the RoW or shift the tracks south to remove a siding.

Svartmetall liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:32 AM   #7199
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Introduction of Green Car Service on Chūō Line (Rapid)

JR East Press Release: http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2014/20150203.pdf

February 4, 2015, JR East has announced the introduction of the Green Car service on Chūō Line (Rapid) from Tokyo to Ōtsuki, and Chūō/Ōme Line trains from Tachikawa to Ōme. The company pretends to start this service on FY 2020.

On E233 series trains, JR East will add 2 bi-level cars (cars 4-5) and change from current 10 cars-set to 12-cars set.

For that reason, 44 stations on Chūō Line and Chūō/Ōme Line will be improved in the next five years to allow 12-cars trains.
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #7200
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Wow, that's quite a change in length. Good to see that they're catering for the longer distance commuters on the line, though. 44 station improvements to add two carriages though, that's an impressive amount of work.