daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2015, 03:37 AM   #7241
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

Osaka Hankyu Railway

Kumamoto City Trams

Here are a couple videos I shot and uploaded to youtube.

dimlys1994 liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #7242
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
trains on the Inokashira Line have only announcements in Japanese. The Keio trains that travel to the station nearest to Mt. Takao have announcements in Japanese and English.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonallen1966 View Post
On a weekdays, they don't have English, but I have noticed that sometimes on Weekends they have on train announcements in English.
I've never worked out what the deciding factor is, because I don't think it's on all trains at the weekend!
The Inokashira Line is not a major trunk line nor does it serve a tourist spot of interest to foreigners on its outer end, unless Chinese have started raving about the charms of Kichijoji and Inokashira Koen lately...

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; March 5th, 2015 at 12:44 PM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #7243
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 460

I beg to differ. Shimo-kitazawa is in every guide book I've seen in the last 15 years, and just last week there were a bazillion tourists there on Lunar New Year Break... My Taiwanese friend was one of them.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Abbendymion, pudgym29 liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #7244
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Shimo kitazawa is a hipster destination the likes of who can likely navigate just fine without English guidance. Anyway, it's a destination served by Odakyu too, so it's not dependent on one transport route.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #7245
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Were there ever any proposals to put passenger service on the Ogouchi/Suikon line above Oku-Tama? Might it ever be put back into service?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:02 AM   #7246
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

By the way, Saijō Station on the San'yō Main Line serves another purpose: eastbound JR Freight trains that have a banking locomotive (e.g., EF67 or EF210-300) to assist freight trains going eastbound on the Senohachi grade (one of the steepest commonly used long railroad grades in Japan) disconnect the extra locomotive this very station. That's why you see extra tracks at this station.

Sr.Horn liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #7247
Sr.Horn
t con pastas member

Ueno-Tokyo Line

More or less at the same time as Hokuriku Shinkansen, the Ueno-Tokyo Line enters in service.

Ahhh, the views from the new viaduct:

Twitter #上野東京ライン

First videos (Tokyo Station, Takasaki Line train)

Inside: "Tokyo Ueno Line via Takasaki Line"
Old March 14th, 2015, 01:15 AM   #7248
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I've always found Tokyo very strange in the way that the rolling stock is so similar for the metro systems compared to the mainline railway as to actually be interchanged. It doesn't seem to happen anywhere else because many places use different rail gauge, and there are other technical differences to contend with even for those gauge is the same.
Well, Japan has a lot of rail lines that have a unified, narrow gauge (3' 6"), in which companies like Toshiba and Hitachi build multiple train types that suit that gauge. Not to mention, a lot of those trains run both in urban and suburban environments, not only to provide a one-seat service for thousands of commuters, but also encourage train companies to provide better service for everyone using their railways.

Take for example: Tokyo Metro's Fukutoshin Line. It is connected to at least four different rail lines on either end of the line (at Shibuya and Wakoshi, with some trains entering and leaving the line at Kotake-Mukaihara)...

- Shibuya: Tokyu Corporation (Tokyu-Toyoko Line) and Yokohama Minato-Mirai Railway Company (Minato-Mirai Line), for Motomachi-Chugakai, Yokohama
- Kotake-Mukaihara: Seibu Corporation (Seibu-Yurakucho and Seibu-Ikebukuro Lines), for Nerima and Hanno, Saitama Prefecture
- Wakoshi: Tobu Railway (Tobu-Tojo Line) for Shinrinkoen

In the process, you will have multiple different train types all operating through Tokyo between Yokohama and Saitama Prefectures, and those trains interline so smoothly that they still manage to run on precise schedules (despite being aggregated). That is one of the things I enjoy and adore the most about Tokyo's rail and subway network that I want to replicate it in other cities worldwide.

San Carlos San Bruno San Mateo Saint Helena Ross

cal_t, pudgym29, Nouvellecosse liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #7249
Sr.Horn
t con pastas member

It looks like many people (non-fans) used the new Ueno-Tokyo Line today despite the Yamanote or Keihin-Tohoku Line.

Is good to see how since the first service of the day the commuters know and trust the indications and voice messages about the new line.

Can't imagine the same in Europe

Here the first videos of the new section:

Tokyo → Ueno looking west (Imperial Palace, Shinjuku...)

JR East has registered a new channel in Youtube and shared two cab views of the new link in both directions:

Ueno → Tokyo https://youtu.be/WIiIntZuue0
Tokyo → Ueno https://youtu.be/ahrFr6Q0dZA

But this is from this morning from a rail fan, in HD TokYo → Ueno

loefet, dimlys1994 liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #7250
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

I'm here too.

I am currently in Tokyo (thru Tuesday). I have photos of JR trains & facilities at Tokyo Station from Saturday, 14 March. Can't post them now - they're still on my camera's SDHC card. But that isn't the major reason I post.

It has been nearly three years since I presented my show to the Central Electric Railfans' Association. It was about trains in Tokyo and Yokohama, Japan. I gave it the title, "I Shot J. R. (& Keikyu, Keio, Odakyu, et alia)"; which was a twist on the then-recent revival of the 1980s television show "Dallas", and its protagonist|antagonist "J. R. Ewing". This was seemingly a bit too much for Tony Coppoletta, who was the emcee of C.E.R.A. programs in 2012. He publicized it as
"Trains of Tokyo and Yokohama". Whatever.
I lost a substantial portion of my audience when the 'closing event' of Chicago Craft Beer Week occurred on the same evening (Friday), even though the calendar showed CCBW extending through to Sunday. (I also would have wanted to attend that 'closing event'.) But I still feel it was a good show. To illustrate that, I have now uploaded all the photographs I showed that night, and included the script in which I described the photographs. Some of these photographs can no longer be replicated. (The grade crossing in Shimo-Kitazawa has been eliminated.)
It went off-line a couple of times. After an incident at December 2014's C.E.R.A. show, in which we had a delay due to technical problems; I was actually asked if there was something I could show while we were trying to fix it. My answer was 'no', because I didn't have that USB flash drive with me then. [We did fix it.]
We had an internet connection. I remembered uploading this. When I went to the site of the last uploader I had utilized, the file had rinsed off-line.
So I decided to upload it again just in case we had another technical snag.
The file is 24.23 MB.
I'm still on a V.92 modem internet connection at the domicile. Finding a semi-anonymous uploader which would accept a file this large without disconnecting me (due to a time constraint) was troublesome. I have always railed against commercial uploaders like Megaupload .com for the reason which came to fruition years ago: They are highly susceptible to
takedown orders, even false ones. Uploaders which discriminate in favor of persons who have paid for a 'premium' account are especially hazardous: The takedown order will be accompanied with the demand to identify the 'premium' account holders who downloaded the file. (The dolts who used a credit card can expect the hard-knock on the door from a law enforcement agency.)

My photographs are Creative Commons - Attribution - NonCommercial - ShareAlike BY-NC-SA. Essentially, you can do whatever you wish with them, including making derivative works of them, as long as you do not try to make any money from doing so.
I visited Japan again in March 2015. I intentionally uploaded the file to four different Japanese-based uploaders, with a Japanese I.P. Address. "Haters" will have much more work trying to get this file off the World-
Wide Web now. The file is now uploaded here:The download password is 8124.
The .rar password is "Keikyu_via_Sengakuji" {without the quotes}.
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #7251
Sr.Horn
t con pastas member

Hiroshima: New Shin-Hakushima Station

JR West and Hiroshima Rapit Transit opened on March 14, the new Shin-Hakushima Station on Sanyo Main Line and Astram Line.

Project:

http://www.city.hiroshima.lg.jp/www/...1343262781494/

For Astram Line, Shin-Hakushima the 22nd station and the second connected with the JR network.

The station is semi-underground because the transition underground-viaduct.

Quote:

Source: http://urbankoikoi.blog63.fc2.com/blog-entry-1311.html

Video:

As for the JR West Shin-Hakushima, the station has the main building under the shinkansen viaducts for the Nishi-Hiroshima-bound traings while the other platform has an independent entrance on the other side of the tracks (with public passage).

Quote:

Source: http://urbankoikoi.blog63.fc2.com/blog-entry-1313.html

Photos were taken on March 14 but seems unfinished

Video:

On the same day, the new 227 series Commuter "Red Wing" debuted on Hiroshima Area:

Old March 16th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #7252
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26115

On the same day, when Hokuriku Shinkansen was extended and extension includes Toyama, Toyama City Tram Line was extended close to the station, to the new coach station. Red is extended section, blue-pointed stop was renamed from Toyama-Ekimae into Dentetsu-Toyamaeki-Esutamae:

Taken from here:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%...oyama_Area.gif

Yak79 liked this post

Last edited by dimlys1994; March 16th, 2015 at 06:51 PM.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #7253
dimlys1994

More photos of trams and new stop:
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2015/03/15/011/

Yak79, pudgym29 liked this post
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #7254
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Isn't the goal eventually to open a tram line under Toyama Station so the Toyama Light Rail and Toyama City Tram Line become one system?

sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:53 PM   #7255
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Thanks a lot for the update on Shin Hakushima station in Hiroshima.

Hard to believe it was so long ago, but I lived right near there for a year from 2003-2004. Usually I got on the Astram Line at Johoku but I probably would have used Shin Hakushima station from time to time had it been open back then.

At the time, there was a contingent of riders who used Omachi station to transfer between JR and Astram. It was never a very popular transfer however because the fare systems were not integrated, and doing so could be quite expensive. I did this on occasion, usually late at night after 10:00pm when bus routes through the Seifu Tunnel were not running so it was the only option. I wonder if the IC cards introduced since then improve the fare situation.

I think that from now on, most JR<->Astram transfers will happen at Shin Hakushima instead, since the frequency of JR trains there (Kabe Line PLUS Sanyo main Line) will be higher than the frequency of the Kabe Line alone at Omachi.

I wonder how this will affect the relative ridership of the Kabe line and the Astram line, as well as the number of boardings at Omachi for each system. Omachi was previously one of the highest-ridership stations on the Astram line (#3 or #4 I think) but that may change now.

orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #7256
Sr.Horn
t con pastas member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
Isn't the goal eventually to open a tram line under Toyama Station so the Toyama Light Rail and Toyama City Tram Line become one system?
Yes. This is the objective, but first JR needs to finish the whole elevation of the conventional tracks (actually only two tracks, one platform were elevated joint the Shinkansen tracks)

Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 09:57 PM   #7257
Yak79

Likes (Received): 2176

The complete tram link is espected to open during FY 2018; however the final scheme will be more like a through service than two sistem becoming one: Toyama City Tram (owned by Chitetsu, a private company) route 1/2 will stop/terminate at the newly opened Toyama-eki stop, under the railway station, as well as Toyama Light Rail (owned by a public-private joint venture). Conversely Toyama City Tram route 3 (City Loop) will be extended northward, but since now it's only operated by Chitetsu - 9000 series tramcar and single track line between Marunouchi and Nakamaki stops are owned by Toyama City -, I'm not sure which company will operate the extended line.

-
- Primo Levi, Se questo un uomo -

dimlys1994, Svartmetall liked this post
Yak79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #7258
dimlys1994

As for me, Shin-Hakushima reminds me horizontal lift stations in Saint-Petersburg. What a similarity:

Neat!
Old March 17th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #7259
dimlys1994

Updated Toyama tram map on urbanrail.net:

Svartmetall, geometarkv liked this post
Old March 17th, 2015, 01:39 AM   #7260
Yak79

Likes (Received): 2176

I hope the author doesn't mind if I suggest a little revision: the recently added Nakamachi (Nishicho-kita) stop, between Nishicho and Aramachi, is missing; besides the Nishicho stop position is somewhat wrong: it goes before (=on the south side) the junction with City loop line - see the official map here.
Well, geographically speaking the current position is more accurate, but, due to the tracks geometry, it's impossible for trams coming from Grand Plaza-mae to stop there.

EDIT - In the meantime the map above was rectified, so this post doesn't make much sense anymore. I really want to thank Mr. Schwandl, whom I personally contact yesterday, for having kindly welcomed my suggestion - and for his wonderful website, too.

-
- Primo Levi, Se questo un uomo -

Svartmetall, dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Yak79; March 17th, 2015 at 10:51 PM.
Yak79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote